Arkansas Military Forts
list of forts, reservations, blockhouses, named camps, National
and State Homes for soldiers, national cemeteries, etc., in the
United States from its earliest settlement to date.
Many of the forts and structures
named were erected by the early settlers for their own
protection, and all vestige of them has now disappeared. The
exact locations of many are not positively known at the present
day, but reference is made to them in State histories, State
papers, etc. Those in bold-faced type are now occupied by troops
or are under the control of the War Department.(does not apply)
The data available for consultation are known to be incomplete,
and may be erroneous in some instances.
Post, fort at, Arkansas on Arkansas River; Fort Hindman.
Army and Navy General Hospital,
Arkansas at Hot Springs.
Arkansas on Big Sugar Creek.
Charles, Fort, Arkansas on White River.
Curtis, Fort, Arkansas, at Helena.
Arkansas at Little Rock.
Douglas, Fort, Arkansas in Johnson County; now town of that
National Cemetery, Arkansas at Fayetteville.
Fillmore, Camp, Arkansas near Fort Washita.
Cantonment, Arkansas on Arkansas River.
Redoubt, Arkansas at Helena.
Hindman, Fort, Arkansas at Arkansas Post.
Hot Springs Reservation, Arkansas in Garland County; Army and
Arsenal, Arkansas at Little Rock; name changed to Little Rock
Little Rock Barracks, Arkansas at Little Rock.
Little Rock National Cemetery, Arkansas at Little Rock.
Logan H. Boots, Fort, Arkansas near Little Rock.
Lynn, Fort, Arkansas Miller County; now town of that name.
Fort, Arkansas at Plum Point, Mississippi River.
Arkansas near Helena.
Pueblo, Fort, Arkansas on Arkansas River above Fort Bent.
fort on, Arkansas.
Reiter, Fort, Arkansas near Helena.
Battery, Arkansas near White River.
St. Francis, Fort, Arkansas Mouth of St. Francis River.
Smith, Fort, Arkansas on Arkansas River; now town of that name.
Smith, Fort, National Cemetery, Arkansas on Arkansas River.
Source: Historical Register and
Dictionary of the United States Army, Volume 2, by Francis B.
Heitman, Government Printing Office, 1903.