Idaho Military Forts
list of forts, reservations, blockhouses, named camps, National
and State Homes for soldiers, national cemeteries, etc., in the
United States from its earliest settlement to date.
Many of the forts and structures
named were erected by the early settlers for their own
protection, and all vestige of them has now disappeared. The
exact locations of many are not positively known at the present
day, but reference is made to them in State histories, State
papers, etc. Those in bold-faced type are now occupied by troops
or are under the control of the War Department.(does not apply)
The data available for consultation are known to be incomplete,
and may be erroneous in some instances.
or Barracks, Idaho at Boise City.
Boise (old fort), Fort, Idaho, on
Buford, Camp, Idaho, on the Bureau
River near its junction with Snake River.
Alene, Fort, Idaho Name changed to Fort Sherman.
Colfax Camp, Idaho Ada County.
Conner, Camp, Idaho near Soda Springs.
Idaho on Snake River, in Lincoln Valley.
Henry, Fort, Idaho on Henry Branch of Snake River.
Howard, Camp, Idaho Three-mile Creek, 2 miles from Mount Idaho.
Idaho on Snake Creek.
Lapwai, Fort, Idaho on Lapwai River, 12 miles from Lewiston.
Lyon, Camp, Idaho On north fork of Jordan Creek.
Lemhi, Fort, Idaho on Salmon River, Lemhi County; now town of
Idaho Malade River.
Mount Idaho, reservation at, Idaho.
Camp, Idaho at Osburn.
Owyhee River, Camp, Idaho opposite Fort Boise.
Idaho on Snake River.
Fort, Idaho at Coeur d'Alene; first called Fort Coeur d'Alene.
Stevenson, Camp, Idaho at Boise City.
Owyhee, Camp, Idaho on Owyhee River; first called Camp Winthrop.
Camp, Idaho in Alturas County.
Wardner, Camp, Idaho at Kellogg.
Winthrop, Camp, Idaho Name changed to Camp Three Forks Owyhee.
Source: Historical Register and
Dictionary of the United States Army, Volume 2, by Francis B.
Heitman, Government Printing Office, 1903.