American History and Genealogy Project

Aaronsburg,  PA to Adams County, OH

Aaronsburg, p-v., Hains t., Centre co., Pa. It is at the eastern extremity of Penn's valley, near Penn's creek, 32 ms. Bellefonte, 89 n. w. Harrisburg, 181 W. It contains a Lutheran church, 2 stores, 80 dwellings, and about 450 inhabitants.

Aaron's Run, p-o., Montgomery co., Ky., 65 E. Frankfort, 520 W.

Abbeville district, S.C., situated in the w. part of the state. It lies between the Savannah and Saluda rs., drained principally by branches of the Savannah r.; the surface is agreeably diversified, well watered and fertile. Capital, Abbeville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 28,642, sheep 12,973, swine 54,939; wheat 93,104 bush, produced, rye 2,445, Ind. corn 1,135,834, oats 104,606, potatoes 38,699, silk cocoons 266 pounds, tobacco 1,200, cotton 8,526,482; 12 for. com. houses, cap. $68,000; 16 stores, cap. $178,139; 14 distilleries, 7 tanneries, 10 flouring m., 42 grist m., 24 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $84,555. 11 acad. 412 students, 50 sch. 1,115 scholars. Pop. 1830, 28,149; 1840, whites 13,880, slaves 15,148, free col'd 323; total, 29,351.

Abbeville, p-v., capital of Abbeville district, S. C, 97 w. Columbia, 259 W. Situated on a small branch of Little r. in the centre of the district. It has a court house, a jail, an arsenal, a magazine, and several stores and dwellings.

Abbeville, p-v., capital of Henry co., Ala., 211 s. E. Tuscaloosa, 837 W. Situated on Yattayabba cr.; has a court house and 400 inhabitants.

Abbyville, p-v , Medina co., O., 5 Medina, 123 N. E. Columbus, 357 W. It has 15 houses, 1 store, cap. $6000; 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Pop. 55.

Abbot, p-t., Piscatiquis co., Me., 70 n. by e. Augusta, 130 n. by e. Portland, 674 W. The Piscatiquis r. passes through its centre. Incorporated in 1827. It has 12 sch. 314 scholars. Pop. 661.

Abbott's creek, p-o., Davidson co., N. C.

Abbot's Mills, p-o., Rutherford co., Tenn., 40 s. e. Nashville, 668 W.

Abbottstown, p-v., Berwick t., Adams co., Penn., 18 s. York, 29 s. Harrisburg, 88 W. It is on Beaver cr. a branch of the Conewago creek. It contains 2 churches, 3 stores, and 75 dwellings.

Abel's Creek, p-o., Arkansas co., Ark., 84 s. E. Little Rock, 1,149 W.

Aberdeen, p-v., Monroe co., Miss., 168 n. Jackson, 899 W. Situated on the w. side of Tombigbee r.

Aberdeen, p-v., Brown co., O., 123 s. w. Columbus, 460 W. It is on the Ohio r. opposite Maysville, Ken., and contains 60 dwelling houses, 6 stores, and various mechanic shops.

Aberfoil, p-o., Macon co., Ala., 158 s. e. Tuscaloosa, 830 W.

Abingdon, p-v., Harford co., Md., 22 e. Baltimore, 52 n. E. Annapolis, 62 W. It contains 2 Methodist churches, and an academy. Pop. 120.

Abingdon, p-v., capital of Washington co., Va., 304 s. w. Richmond, 372 W. Situated between the 2 forks of Holston r., 7 ms. from each. It contains a court house, jail, 4 churches, 2 Presbyterian and 2 Methodist, 2 academies, 1 male and 1 female, both brick edifices; 12 stores, some of them wholesale, 1 flouring m., 1 woollen fac, 2 cotton fac, 4 tanneries, numerous mechanic shops, 200 dwellings, many of them elegant, and about 1,000 inhabitants. It is a distributing post-office.

Abingdon, p-o., Lake co., Ill., 243 n. by e. Springfield, 749 W.

Abington, p-t., Plymouth co., Mass., 20 s. s. E. Boston, 22 n. w. Plymouth, 18 n. n. e. Taunton, 438 W. It has 3 Congregational churches. There were in 1840 20 stores, with a cap. of $27,400; hardware and cutlery manufac. $31,533; of leather $621,100. It has 1 tannery, 5 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $163,650. 10 sch. 673 scholars. Pop. 3,214.

Abington, p-v., Pomfret t., Windham co., Ct., 39 e. by n. Hartford, 374 W. It has a Congregational church, and several neat dwellings.

Abington, p-t., Montgomery co., Pa., 109 e. Harrisburg, 149 W. It has a Presbyterian and a Friends' church; 2 stores, with a cap. of $4,300; 1 flouring m., 4 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,320. 3 acad. 171 students. Pop. 1,704.

Abington, p-t., Wayne co., In., 72 e. Indianapolis, 505 W. Situated on the w. side of the E. fork of White Water r. Pop. 923.

Abington (Centre,) p-v., Wyoming co., Pa., 151 n. e. Harrisburg, 257 W. Drained by the south branch of Tunkhannock cr. The t. has 5 stores, cap. $10,500; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,950. 2 acad. 60 students, 10 sch. 373 scholars. Pop. 1,770.

Aboite, p-t., Allen co., In., 120 n. n. e. Indianapolis, 555 W. 2 sch. 38 scholars. Pop. 235.

Abram's Creek, Columbia co., N. Y., is a small stream which falls into the Hudson, 4 ma. above Hudson city.

Abram's Plains, p-o., Granville co., N. C.

Abscota, p-o., Calhoun co., Mich., 120 w. Detroit, 578 W.

Absecum, v., in Galloway t., Atlantic co., N. J., 95 s. Trenton, 105 W. It is on Absecum cr., 2 ms. above Absecum Bay. It has 1 store, and 8 or 10 dwellings.

Academia, p-o., Knox co., Tenn., 193 e. Nashville, 488 W.

Acasto, p-o., Kane co., Ill., 187 n. by e. Springfield, 764 W.

Accomac County, Va. Situated on the eastern shore of Chesapeake Bay; and, with Northampton co. on the s., it constitutes the "eastern shore of Virginia." It contains 480 sq. ms., and considerable fertile land. The soil is mostly sandy, and there are several islands belonging to it, in Chesapeake Bay. On the n. w. is a large branch of the Chesapeake, denominated Pocomoke Bay. It is divided into 2 Parishes, Accomac parish, and St. George's parish. There were in 1840, neat cattle 13,376, sheep 10,251, swine 20,549; wheat 14,479 bush, produced, Ind. corn 642,682, oats 453,137, potatoes 113,311; cotton 4,251 lbs.; 47 stores, cap. $125,059; 1 lumber yard, cap. $1,000; 6 tanneries, 49 grist m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $72,921. 26 sch. 751 scholars. Pop. 1830, 19,656; 1840, whites 9,518, slaves 4,630, free col'd 2, 818; total 17,096.

Page 20

Accomac, p-v., capital of Accomac co., Va., 193 e. by N. Richmond, 197 W. It contains a Methodist church, 3 stores, 1 tannery, 3 grist m., various mechanic shops, and about 40 dwellings.

Accoman, p-o., Accomac co., Va., 212 e. by N. Richmond, 178 W.

Achor, p-o., Columbiana co., O., 172 n. e. Columbus, 278 W. The v. is called Achorstown.

Acquackanonck, p-t., Passaic co., N. J., 13 N. w. New York, 79 n. e. Trenton, 236 W. Situated s. and w. of the Passaic r. Surface hilly and mountainous on the west, and rolling on the east; the soil generally fertile. The v. is situated on the w. bank of the Passaic r. at the head of sloop navigation. It has 2 Dutch Reformed churches, several stores, and about 80 dwellings. There are in the t. 8 stores, cap. $8,350; 1 cotton fac, 1,000 spindles, 2 tanneries, 1 brewery, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap in manufac. $73,600. 1 acad. 34 students, 3 sch. 130 scholars. Pop. 2,483.

Acra, p-v., Greene co., N. Y., 47 s. s. w. Albany, 349 W. It has 1 Baptist church, 1 store, 1 tannery, and 12 or 15 dwellings.

Acton, p-t., York co., Me., 91 s. w. Augusta, 520 W. It lies near the head waters of Salmon Falls r., by which it is separated from N. Hampshire. It has 3 stores, cap. $2,000; 2 tanneries, 4 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac, $7,664. In common schools, 489 scholars. Pop. 1,401.

Acton, t., Windham co., Vt., 18 n. w. Brattleboro, 15 n. Newfane, about 90 s. Montpelier. The surface is uneven and well watered by brooks, not sufficiently large for mill streams. There is, however, 1 saw m. It has 4 sch. 51 scholars. Pop. 170.

Acton, p-t., Middlesex co., Mass., 22 n. w. Boston, 462 W. It has a good soil, and Assabet r. passes through it. Incorporated in 1735. It has 4 stores, cap. $4,800; 1 flouring m., 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac, $81,000. 5 sch. 337 scholars. Pop. 1,121.

Acton Corner, p-o., York co., Me., 91 s. w. Augusta, 520 W.

Acworth, p-t., Sullivan co., N. H., 46 w. Concord, 460 W. The soil is good, and it has some good mill seats on Cold river, issuing from Cold pond. Incorporated in 1712. It has two stores, cap. $6,000; 1 woollen fac. producing $8,000; 520 scholars in com. schools. Pop. 1,450.

Ada, p-t., Kent co., Mich., 158 n. w. Detroit, 639 W. Situated on the s. side of Grand r. The v. is at the junction of Thorn-apple r.

Adair, County, Ky. A central, southern co., and contains 440 sq. ms. Drained chiefly by Green r. and its branches, soil fertile. Capital, Columbia. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,018, sheep 12,263, swine 31,192; wheat 27,888 bush, produced, rye 1,164, Ind. corn 308,103, oats 104,647, potatoes 12,708, tobacco 1,030,116 pounds, cotton 8,806, sugar 24,705; 10 stores, cap. $39,375; 10 tanneries, 19 distilleries, 5 flouring m., 19 grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $32,304. 1 1 sell. 212 scholars. Pop. 1830, 8,220; 1840, whites 6,769, slaves 1,605, free col'd 92; total 8,466.

Adair, county, Mo. Situated in the n. part of the state, and contains 567 sq. ms. It is drained by Chariton r. Capital, Hopkinsville. Erected, 1840.

Adairs, p-o., Natchitoches par., La.

Adairsvillk, p-o., Cass co., Ga., 156 n. w. Milledgeville, 63 W.

Adairsville, p-v., Logan co., Ky., 10 s. w. Russelvilie, 182 s. w. Frankfort, 706 W.

Adams, cape, the s. point of land at the mouth of the Columbia r., on the Pacific A sand bar 5 ms. across, extends from it to within a mile of Cape Disappointment, which is 7 ms. distant in a n. w. direction. When the wind blows from the w., this sand bar is covered with dangerous breakers. The cape is low, and thinly wooded, and is in 46° 17' n. lat., 46° 50' w. lon. from W. Within Cape Disappointment, the U. S. sloop of war Peacock, belonging to the Exploring Expedition, was stranded and lost, July 18th, 1841.

Adams, County, Penn., lies in the south part of the state. The surface is uneven, and the soil is fertile. It contains 528 sq. ms., and the waters flow into the Susquehanna and the Potomac Capital, Gettysburg. There were in 1840, neat cattle 19,343, sheep 19,140, swine 31,583; wheat 216,606 bush, produced, rye 88,561, Ind. corn 290,724, buckwheat 5,404, barley 1,666, oats 274,960, potatoes 69,915, 171 pounds silk cocoons; 59 stores, cap. $217,800; 2 lumber yards, cap. 1,070; 3 furnaces, 3 fulling m., 5 woollen fac, 28 tanneries, 18 distilleries, 2 breweries, 8 potteries, 42 flouring m., 40 grist m., 76 saw m., 4 oil m., 5 printing offices, 1 bindery, 5 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $188,020. 2 colleges, 190 students, 1 acad, 42 students, 97 sch, 4,065 scholars. Pop. 23,044.

Adams, s. w. county, Miss., is bounded on the w. by the Mississippi. Contains 440 sq. ms. The surface is moderately hilly, excepting bottoms on the rivers, and the soil is generally fertile. Capital, Natchez. There were in 1810, neat cattle 22,033, sheep 4,741, swine 4,553; Ind. corn 196,569 bush, produced, oats 13,843, potatoes 51,701, cotton 20,292,470 pounds; 7 commercial and 11 com. houses, cap. $365,000; 112 stores, cap. $1,290,010; 6 lumber yards, cap. $110,000; 4 saw m., 2 printing offices, 1 bindery, 2 daily ,2 weekly, and 1 semi-weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac $164,100; 1 college, 90 students, 7 acad. 311 students, 13 sch. 269 scholars. Pop., whites 5,010, slaves 14,241, free col'd 283; total 19,434.

Adams, County, O., in the s. part of the state, on the Ohio r. Contains 550 sq. ms. The surface is hilly, and the soil various. Watered by Brush cr., along which is iron ore. Capital, West Union. There were in 1840, neat cattle 17,839, sheep 20,550, swine 17,470; wheat 136,292 bush, produced, rye 177, Ind. corn 211,049, barley 214, oats 102,545, potatoes 7,806, sugar 32,510 pounds; 52 stores, cap. $76,482; 2 furnaces, 6 tanneries, 6 flouring m., 10 grist m., 10 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 printing office. Cap. in manufac. $21,971. 10 sch. 284 scholars. Pop. 13,183.

Adams, County, Ia. In the e. part of the state, bounded e. by the state of Ohio. Contains 336 sq. ms. Organized in 1836. St. Mary's r. flows through the n. and Wabash through the s. part. Capital, Decatur. There were in 1840, neat cattle 2,194, sheep 338, swine 4,319; wheat 3,948 bush, produced, rye 147, Ind. corn 36,688, buckwheat 509, oats 4,577, potatoes 7,907, tobacco 120 pounds, sugar 15,588; 3 stores, cap. $3,400; 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,500. 3 sch. 35 scholars. Pop. 2,264. Adams, county, Ill., in the w. part of the state, Its waters flow into the Mississippi and Illinois. Contains 768 sq. ms. Capital, Quiney. There were in 1940, neat cattle 19,312, sheep 13,093, swine 49,391; wheat 143,863 bush, produced, rye 297, Ind. corn 721,565, buckwheat 1,197, barley 1,280, oats 154,577, potatoes 61,013, tobacco 7,269 pounds, sugar 1,810; 56 stores, cap. $185,280; 4 com. houses, cap. $9,000; 1 lumber yard, cap. $6,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woollen fac, 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 2 breweries, 4 flouring m., 14 grist m., 24 saw m., 4 printing offices, 1 bindery, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $163,419. 1 acad, 60 students, 101 sch, 2,724 scholars. Pop. 14,476.

Table of Contents

Source: A Complete Descriptive And Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith, 1843

This book is a joint project between members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and Susan Dorris our finder!

Please Come Back Again!!

 

AHGP

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do no copy our work