Adams Berkshire County, MA to Albany County, NY
Adams, p-t., Berkshire co., Mass., 20 n.
Pittsfield, 40 e. Albany, 132 w. n. w. Boston, 392 W. It is a
valuable township, and contains 2 post villages, 5 or 6 ms.
apart, each of which contains 3 churches. The N. village
contains 1 Congregational, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist; the s.
village, 1 Baptist, 1 Friends, and 1 free to all denominations.
In the n. village is a bank, with a cap. of $200,000. Hoosack
river passes through the town, and affords an extensive water
power, which has been employed in manufactures. There were in
1840, 18 stores, with a cap. of $25,890; 14 cotton
manufactories, with 18,320 spindles, 1 dyeing and printing
establishment, the whole producing articles to the amountof
$481, 107, employing a cap. of $316,000; 1 furnace, 5 tanneries,
2 grist m., 6 saw m. Manufactures of leather, $12,200. Cap. in
manufac. $488,900. 1 acad. 45 students, 18 sch. 735 scholars.
Pop. 3,703. There is a natural bridge in this town over Hudson's
brook, a branch of Hoosack r., which is a great curiosity. The
stream has worn a channel from 30 to 60 feet deep, and 30 rods
in length, in a body of white marble or limestone, leaving, in
one place, a natural bridge, 12 or 15 feet long, 10 feet wide,
and 60 feet above the surface of the stream. Saddleback mountain
is between this town and Williamstown, but mostly in this town.
The highest peak, denominated Gray lock, is 3,600 feet above the
level of the sea. The remains of old fort Massachusetts are
still to be seen, on the N. end of Saddle mountain, erected as a
defence against the savages.
Adams, p-t., Jefferson co., N. Y., 162 n. w. Albany, 403 W.,
situated on both sides of Sandy cr., where there is a fall of 15
feet, producing a good water power. It has 10 stores, cap.
$32,200; 1 fulling m., 1 woollen fac, 1 flouring m., 2 grist m.,
3 saw m., 1 tannery, and 1 brewery; 15 com. sch. with 581
scholars. Pop. 2,966. The v. has 120 dwelling houses, 1
Presbyterian, and 1 Methodist church, and a seminary for young
Adams, t., Coshocton co., O., on the n. side of Tuscarawas r. It
contains 1 grist m., 2 saw m., and 1 distillery; 1 sch., with 25
scholars. Pop. 838.
Adams, t., Guernsey co., O., 5 ms. w. of Cambridge. The national
road, and Crooked cr. pass through the s. E. corner. Pop. 867.
Adams, t., Henry co., O. It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $8,000. 2 sch., 34 scholars. Pop. 188.
Adams, t., Washington co., O., on the Muskingum r. It has 6
sch., with 200 scholars. Pop. 792.
Adams, t., in the n. part of Seneca co., O. Drained by Green cr.
It has 2 stores, cap. $5,000. Pop. 1,250.
Adams, t., Allen co., O. 2 sch. 35 scholars. Pop. 363.
Adams, t., Monroe co., O., drained centrally by Sunfish cr. It
contains 22 sq. ms. Pop. 898.
Adams t., Muskingum co., O., watered by Wills' cr. and the
Muskingum r. Pop. 988.
Adams, t., Dark co., O., 3 ms. from Greenville, the co. seat. It
is watered by Greenville and Panther crs. Pop. 687
Adams, t., Champaign co, O., 10 ms. n. w. Urbanna. It is drained
by Stony and Tawawa crs.; has 1 store, cap. $1,200; 1 tannery, 2
saw m.; 5 sch. 93 scholars. Pop. 970.
Adams, p-t., Hillsdale co., Mich., 93 s. w. Detroit, 533 W. It
has 2 saw m., and employs a manufacturing cap. of $3,000; 4 sch.
174 scholars. Pop. 331.
Adams, p-t., Decatur co., In., 54 s. e. by E. Indianapolis, 557
Adams, t., Hamilton co., la. Pop. 512.
Adams, p-o., Irwin co., Ga., 97 s. Milledgeville, 761 W.
Adams Basin, p-v., Monroe co., N. Y., 230 w. Albany, 379 W.
Situated on the Erie canal. It has 1 church, 1 store, 2 saw m.,
and 25 dwellings.
Adamsburg, p-v., Hempfield t., Westmoreland co., Pa., 183 w.
Harrisburg, 209 W. The road from Greensburg to Pittsburg passes
through it. It contains 4 stores, 1 grist m., and 30 dwellings.
Adams Centre, p-o., Jefferson co., N. Y., 162 N. w. Albany, 403
Adams' Mills, p-v., Muskingum co., O., 61 E. Columbus, 346 W. It
is situated on the Ohio canal, 6 n. e. Dresden. It has 1 store,
a warehouse, a large flouring mill, supplied with water from the
canal, and a few other buildings.
Adams' Mills, p-o., Pulaski co., Ky., 12 Somerset, 76 s. by E.
Frankfort, 587 W.
Adamstown, p-v., Cocalico t., Lancaster co., Pa., 23 n. N. E.
Lancaster, 47 Harrisburg, 136 W It contains 25 or 30 buildings,
including dwellings, stores, &c.
Adamsville, p-o., Franklin co., Ms., 104 w. by n. Boston, 414 W.
Adamsville, p-o., Washington co., N. Y., in the town of
Kingsbury, 58 N. Albany, 430 W.
Adamsville, p-o., Somerset co., N. J., 35 n. Trenton, 206 W.
Adamsville, p-o., Crawford co., Pa., 252 n. w. Harrisburg, 302
Adamsville, p-v., Outwa t., Cass co., Mich., 172 w. by s.
Detroit, 617 W. It lies on both sides of Christiana r., has 1
flouring m., 1 saw m., and 2 stores.
Adamsville, p-v., McNairy co., Tenn., 133 s. w. Nashville, 815
Adamsville, p-v., Marlborough dist., S. C, 114 e. n. e.
Columbus, 402 s. s. w. W.
Adamsville, p-o., Cass co., Ga., 157 n. w. Milledgeville, 653 W.
Adamsville, p-o., Panola co., Miss., 184 n. Jackson, 922 W.
Addison, County, Vt., on the west side of the
state, lies on Lake Champlain. It was organized in 1787, and
contains about 700 sq. ms. The surface is mostly level near the
lake, but becomes hilly and mountainous towards the e. The land
in the lake towns is of a superior quality, and in the hilly
parts is well adapted to grazing. It is watered chiefly by Otter
cr., and its tributaries. This is the longest r. in Vt., and has
several sets of falls, which afford the finest water power; and
it is navigable for sloops, 7 ms. to Vergennes. Lake Champlain
has some good harbors in this county, and affords great
commercial advantages. A quarry of beautiful white statuary
marble is found at Middlebury, and is extensively wrought.
Capital, Middlebury. There were in 1840, neat cattle 39,718,
sheep 261,010, swine 14,305; wheat 31,322 bush, produced, rye
11,427, Ind. corn 95,304, buckwheat 7,219, barley 255, oats
141,794, potatoes 440.079, silk cocoons 299 pounds, sugar
132,013; 70 stores, cap. $347,600; 2 lumber yards, cap. $18,000;
1 furnace, 8 forges, 20 fulling m., 7 woolen fac, 1 cotton fee.
3,860 sp., 22 tanneries, 3 potteries, 1 glass fac, 17 grist m.,
63 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 paper fac, 3 printing offices, 2
binderies, 1 periodical, 3 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac
$37,375. 1 college, 62 students, 5 acad. 134 students, 177 sen.
6,449 scholars. Pop. 23,583.
Addison, p-t., Washington co., Me., (p-o. Addison Point,) 138
ms. e. by N. Augusta, 720 W. Contains 3 stores, cap. $6,000; 2
tanneries, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,350. 6 sch.
450 scholars. Pop. 1,053.
Addison, p-t., Addison co., Vt., 12 w. n. w. Middlebury, 72 s.
w. Montpelier, 483 W., situated on Lake Champlain, opposite
Crown Point, N. Y. The lake is here 3 miles broad. Settled in
1770. Otter cr. passes into the town, and Mill and Pike, small
rs., enter into Lake Champlain. The surface is level and the
soil good. It has 2 stores, cap. $7,000; 1 fulling m., 1 grist
m., 1 saw m.; 10 sch. 260 scholars. Pop. 1,232.
Addison, p-t., Steuben co., N. Y., 18 s. Bath, 227 w. by s.
Albany, 292 W. It is watered by Canisteo and Tuscarora crs., the
former of which is navigable for boats. The land is broken, and
the soil is poor. It furnishes sandstone, which is manufactured
into grindstones. It has 2 saw m., 1 fulling m., 2 stores, cap.
$13,000; a printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac.
$14,490. 1 acad. 120 students, 10 sch. 463 scholars. Pop. 1,920.
Addison, p-t., Somerset co., Pa., ou the Youghiogheny r., 153 s.
w. Harrisburg, 170 W. 10 stores, cap. $23,000; 1 fulling m., 3
tanneries, 3 distilleries, 1 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$8,500. 2 schools, 30 scholars. Pop. 1,301.
Addison, p-t., Gallia co., O., 107 s. by e. Columbus, 354 W. It
lies on the Ohio r. a few miles above Gallipolis. It has 3
tanneries, 1 grist, m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,425. Pop.
Addison, t., Oakland co., Mich., has 1 store, cap. $6000; 1
flouring m., 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,000. 5
sch. 125 scholars. Pop. 537.
Adelphia, p-v., Ross co., O., 67 s. w. Columbus, 412 W; in
Colraine township, n. e. corner of the co., on the N. fork of
Salt cr. It contains 3 stores and about 30 dwellings.
Adirondack Mountains, a name recently given to a cluster of
mountains in the state of New York, s. w. of Lake Champlain.
These mountains are little inferior in height, to the White
Mountains in N. H. (See New York, state of.)
Adrian, p-t., capital of Lenawee co., Mich., opposite the
junction of Beaver creek with the Kaisin r. 67 Detroit, 501 W.
It has 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist,
the two former of which are elegant buildings. It is one of the
most flourishing towns in the state, and has 27 stores, cap.
$116,800; 3 grist m., 6 saw m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly
newspapers; 16 schools, 671 scholars. Pop. 2,496. A railroad
between this place and Toledo was opened in 1836.
Adriance, p-o., Dutchess co., N. Y., 98 s. Albany, 358 W. It is
in the town of Fishkill, and settlement of Hopewell.
Agamenticus Mountain, in York co., Me., 4 miles from the ocean,
673 feet above tide water, a famous landmark for seamen.
Agawam, p-v., West Springfield t, Hampden co., Mass., 98 w.
Boston. 358 W. Situated on the w. side of the Connecticut, just
below the entrance of Westfield r. It has 2 churches, 1 Baptist
and 1 Congregational, several stores, manufactories, and
Agnews Mills, p-o., Venango co., Pa., 220 n. w Harrisburg, 274
Ai, p-o., Grant co., In., 60 n. by e. Indianapolis, 568 W.
Aiken, p-v., Barnwell dist., S. C, 77 s. by w Columbia, 590 W.
Aischum co., Mich., in the n. western part of the state,
contains 576 square miles, drained by the Notipekago and
branches of the Manistee rivers; (unorganized.)
Aid, t., Lawrence co., O., 15 Burlington, the county seat.
Watered by the branches of Symmes cr. It has 3 schools and 78
scholars. Pop. 609.
Air, t., Bedford co., Pa. The surface is mountainous with
fertile valleys, drained by Big Cove cr. It contains 1 store,
cap. $4,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woollen fac, 2 tanneries, 2
flouring m., 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $21,785. Pop.
1,453. Air Mount, p-o., Clarke co., Ala., 118 s. Tuscaloosa, 930
Airy Grove, p-v., Lenoir co., N. C, 88 w. Raleigh, 310 W.
Akron, p-v., Erie co., N. Y., 268 w. Albany, 388 W. It is
situated on Muddy cr., and contains 2 churches, 3 stores, 1
grist m., 1 saw m., 1 clothiers' works, and 50 dwellings. Pop.
Akron, p-v., Portage t., capital of Summit co., O., at the
junction of the Ohio and Erie and the Ohio and Pennsylvania
canals, 38 s. Cleveland, 1 16 w. Pittsburg, 123 n. e. Columbus,
321 W. By a succession of locks at Akron, the Ohio and Erie
canal rises suddenly to the Portage summit, and presents many
picturesque views. The Little Cuyahoga r. and the waste water of
the canal afford extensive water power; and so great is the
descent, that it is used several times over. By means of another
canal, the water of the Great Cuyahoga r. is brought along a
ridge of high land in the north part of Akron, by which a great
water power is produced. Akron is a place of great activity in
business, and has an extensive trade. It contains a court house
and jail of stone, 5 churches, 1 Baptist, 1 Episcopal, 1
Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, and 1 Universalist. It has 4
commission houses, cap. $4,500; 30 retail stores, cap. $64,850;
4 furnaces, 4 fulling m., 5 woollen factories, 1 powder m., 4
flouring m., 1 grist m., 1 oil m., 2 printing offices, and 3
weekly newspapers. Capital in manufactures $153,750. The village
of Akron has 1 academy, 9 students, 6 schools, 269 scholars.
Pop. 1,665; Portage t. exclusive of Akron, 718.
Alabama, State of
Alabama River, is formed by the junction
of the Coosa and the Tallapoosa, and flowing s. s. w. it unites
with the Tombigbee, 48 ms. above Mobile Bay, and after the
junction, has the name of Mobile r. From the junction, 60 miles
to Claiborne, it is navigable at all seasons, for vessels
requiring 6 feet of water. From Claiborne, 150 ms., to the mouth
of the Cahawba, the river has 4 or 5 feet of water. From the
mouth of the Cahawba to the junction of the Coosa and
Tallapoosa, its head branches, the river affords, in all places,
3 feet of water. The river is subject to great changes by rising
Alachua Savanna, a grassy and marshy
plain in Alachua co., Florida, which is supposed to discharge
its waters by an underground passage into Lake Orange.
Alachua, County of e. Florida, situated on the
w. part of the peninsula, and contains about 2,500 square miles.
It embraces one of the largest tracts of good land in the ter.,
and has long been densely populated. It has a number of ponds
and prairies, and furnishes excellent pasture for numerous herds
of cattle. Suwanee river runs on its w. border, and
Withlacoochee river through its s. part. Wakassassee river
passes through it. Some part of the surface is rolling, but
toward the coast it is flat and wet. Capital, Newmansville.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,665, sheep 87, swine 2,441;
Ind. corn 27,365 bush, produced, potatoes 9,652, sugar 2,000
lbs. Pop. whites 1,719, slaves 562; total, 2,282.
Alamo, t, Kalamazoo co., Mich. 1 saw m., 1 sch. 23 scholars.
Alamutcha, p-o., Lauderdale co., Miss.
Alapaha, p-o., Lowndes co., Ga., 262 s. Melledgeville, 861 W.
Alapapaha, a river of Geo., which flows into the Suwanee, and is
about 100 miles in length.
Alaqua, a river of Florida, falls into Choctawhatchee Bay, and
is navigable 15 miles, for vessels requiring 5 feet of water.
Alaqua, v., Walton co., Flor., 161 n. of w. from Tallahassee. It
is situated on Alaqua river. Pop. 221.
Alatamaha or Altamaha, a navigable river of Georgia, formed by
the union of the Ockmulgee and the Oconee. After the junction,
the Alatamaha becomes a large river, flowing with a gentle
current through forests and plains, upwards of 100 miles, and
enters by several outlets into Alatamaha sound, 60 s. w.
Savannah, through which it passes into the Atlantic. This sound
contains a number of beautiful islands. The Alatamaha is
navigable on the Oconee branch, 300 ms. from the ocean, for
boats of 30 tons, and for steamboats to Milledgeville; and to an
equal distance on the Ockmulgee branch. The bar at the mouth has
14 feet, at low water. The whole length of the river to its
source, is about 500 miles.
Alba, p-v., Bradford co., Pa., 143 n. by e. Harrisburgh, 250 W.
Albany, t., Bradford co., Pa., the surface is hilly; soil
gravelly loam. Drained by Towanda cr. and the w. branch of
Mahoopeny cr. It contains 1 store, cap. $2,500; 1 gnst m., 3 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $4,050.
Albany, p-t., Oxford co., Me., 18 N. w. Paris, 62 w. Augusta,
597 W. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $4,400. 7 sch. 275 scholars. Pop. 691.
Albany, t., Strafford co., N. H., 6 n. by E. Concord. The
surface is uneven and rough, but the soil is a fertile sandy
loam, mixed with gravel. Watered by Swift r. and other streams,
which afford water power. Chartered in 1766. It contains 5 sch.
153 scholars. Pop. 406.
Albany, p-t., Orleans co., V t., 9 s. Irasburgh, 39 n.
Montpelier, 555 W. It was granted in 1781 by the name of
Lutterloh, and received its present name in 1815. It is watered
by Black river and its branches, and has a number of ponds. It
has 1 Hon, cap. 13,000 dollars; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist
m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,150. 10 sch. 356 scholars. Pop.
Albany County, N. Y., is situated 150 n. of the
city of New York. It was organised in 1683. It lies on the w.
side of Hudson r. The surface is uneven, and in the s. w. part
hilly and mountainous. On the river the soil is good, and well
cultivated, but in the interior it is sandy and unproductive.
Among its mineral productions are og iron ore, and water
limestone. There are also several mineral springs. Besides the
Mohawk, on its n., and the Hudson on its e. boundary, its
streams are Normanskill, Vlamanskill, Haivankrauskill and
Coeyman's cr., which enter the Hudson, and some others. It has
an area of 515 sq. miles. The Erie and Champlain canals form a
junction in the n. e. part of this county. Capital, Albany.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 25,784, sheep 57,478, swine
49,068; wheat 21,008 bushels produced, rye 145,941, Ind. corn
127,162, buckwheat 103,582, barley 155,902, oats 653,794,
potatoes 540,582, sugar 24,366 pounds; 47 commission houses,
cap. $650,000; 1,166 stores, capital $1,244,903; 27 lumber
yards, cap. $464,000; 1 furnace, 11 fulling m., 8 woollen fac. 2
cotton fac, 5,160 sp., 20 tanneries, 8 breweries, 4 potteries, 6
flouring m., 22 grist m., 84 saw m., 1 paper factory, 1 1
pruning offices, 5 binderies, 1 periodical, 3 daily, 5 weekly, 2
semi-weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $2,712,825. 5 acad. 469
students, 119 sch. 9,319 scholars. Pop. 1830, 53,560;
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!