Atlas Ill. to Avoyelles, Parish, LA
Atlas, p-v., Pike co., Ill., 81 w. by s. Springfield, 861 W. It
is a handsome tract of ground, under the bluffs, half a mile
from Snyeartee Slough, which is navigable for steamboats to this
place, in high water.
Atlas, t., Lapeer co., Mich. It contains 2 stores, cap. $1,300;
1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. m manufac. $11,000. 4 schools, 98
scholars. Pop. 660.
Atsion, p-v., Galloway t., Burlington co., N. J., 43 s. Trenton,
167 W. Situated on Atsion r. Here is an extensive furnace, a
forge, grist m., and 3 saw m. The furnace employs about 100
Attala, County, Miss., in the central part of
the state, contains 720 sq. ms. Drained by Big Black r., and the
head branches of Pearl r. Surface level, soil moderately good.
Capital, Kosciusko. There were in 1840, neat cattle 915, sheep
687, swine 13,640; wheat 2,909 bushels produced, Ind. corn
170,892, oats 5,557, potatoes 28,322, tobacco 4,174 pounds, rice
3,230, cotton 151,489; 2 stores, cap. $2,500; 6 grist m., 6 saw
m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manuf.
$30,900. 6 sch. 85 scholars. Pop. 1840, whites 2,955, slaves
1,082, free colored 266; total, 4,303.
Attapulgus, p-o., Decatur co., Ga., 200 s. s. w. Milledgeville,
Attica, p-t., Wyoming co., N. Y., 257 w. Albany, 375 W. The
surface is rolling, and the soil, a fertile clay loam. It is
watered by the Tonawanda cr. and its tributaries. The village
contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist church, a bank, a female
seminary, 8 stores, 2 grist m., 1 tannery, 1 clothiers' works,
100 dwellings, and 800 inhabitants. There are in the t. 12
stores, cap. $45,000, 1 fulling m., 1 woollen fac, 2 tanneries,
1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 1 flouring m., 2 grist
m., 4 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $33,950. 2 acad. 140
students, 13 sch. 725 scholars. Pop. 2,710.
Attica, p-v, Venice t., Seneca co., O., 80 n. Columbus, 405 W.
It was laid out in 1834; has 3 stores, and over 20 dwellings;
Pop. over 100.
Attica, p-o., Fountain co., In., 73 w. n. w. Indianapolis, 644
W. Situated on the e. side of Wabash r.
Attica Centre, p-v., Attica t., Wyoming co., N. Y., 261 w.
Albany, 371 W.
Attleborough, p-t., Bristol county, Ms., 12 n. Providence, 30 s.
Boston, 412 W. Incorporated 1694. Branches of Pawtucket r. pass
through the t., and afford extensive water power. It has 8
stores, 6 cotton fac. with 9,846 spin.; amount produced
$150,000; 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Total cap. in manufac. $280,000.
1 acad. 50 students, 24 sch. 833 scholars. Pop. 3,585.
Attleborough, p-v., Buck's co., Pa., 20 n. e. Philadelphia, 120
e. Harrisburg, 162 W.
Attlebury, p-o., Sanford t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 71 s. Albany,
Atwater, p-t., Portage co., O., 21 e. Akron, 144 N. E. Columbus,
310 W. It has 1 Congregational and 1 Methodist church, 3
schools, 128 scholars. Pop. 755.
Auburn, p-t., Worcester co., Ms., 5 s. by w. Worcester, 47 w. s.
w. Boston, 395 W. Incorporated in 1788, by the name of Ward.
French r. passes through it. It has 2 stores, cap. $4,000; 1
woollen fac, 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$11,400. 6 sch. 181 scholars. Pop. 649.
Auburn, p-v., capital of Cayuga co., N. Y., 173 w. Albany, 333
W. On the outlet of Owascolake, 7 s. Erie canal. It has a state
prison which is considered a model for such institutions. It
occupies a plot of ground 500 by 1000 ft., which is enclosed by
a stone wall 3,000 feet in length, 30 feet high, and 4 feet
thick at the base. The outlet of Owasco lake passes along the
outside of the s. wall, and by a water-wheel and shaft through
the wall, moves machinery within the prison. The prison
buildings stand about 80 feet within the outside wall, and form
3 sides of a square, the front of which is 280 feet long, and
the wings 240 feet long and 45 wide. The earnings exceeded the
expenditures in 1839, by $8,490. There is a flourishing
theological seminary at Auburn, under the patronage and
direction of the Presbyterians, founded in 1821, which has 4
professors and 71 students. Whole number educated, 344. Vols, in
libraries, 5,000. Auburn has a court house, jail, and other
county buildings. The Auburn Academy, and the Auburn Female
Seminary, are incorporated institutions. There are 7 churches —
2 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, 1 Episcopal, 1 Roman
Catholic, and 1 Universalist. It has a museum, and 2 banking
houses. There are 59 stores, cap. $341,447; 1 woollen fac, 1
cotton factory, 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 brewery, 4 flouring
m., 2 saw m., 3 furnaces, 4 printing offices, 4 newspapers, 1
daily and 3 weekly. Cap. in manufac. $643,550. 2 acad., 250
students, 9 schools, 740 scholars. Population 5,626.
Auburn, p-o., Chester co., Pa., 79, s. e. Harrisburg, 103 W.
Auburn, p-o., Fauquier co., Va., 109 n. by w. Richmond, 58 W.
Auburn, p-t., Geauga co., O., 156 n. e. Columbus, 33 J W. It is
a fine farming town. It has 300 houses; 3 stores, with a cap. of
$7,000; 1 tannery, 4 saw m. Cap in manufac. $4,500. 10 sch. 520
scholars. Pop. 1,198.
Auburn, p-v., Pontiac t., Oakland co., Mich., 27 n. w. Detroit,
549 W. Situated on the s. side of Clinton r., and contains 1
Baptist church, an academy, and several stores. Pop. about 100.
Auburn, p-o., De Kalb co., In., 153 n. n. e. Indianapolis, 566
Auburn, p-v., Sangamon co., Ill., 15 s. by w. Springfield, 795
W. It is on the n. side of Sugar creek, surrounded by a
beautiful prairie. It has 3 stores, and 12 or 15 families.
Auburn, p-v., Lincoln co., Mo., 84 e. n. e. Jefferson city, 872
Auburn, p-o., Hinds co., Miss., 32 w. Jackson, 1,042 W.
Auburn, p-o., Gwinnett co., Ga., 94 n. n. w Milledgeville, 655
Auburn, p-v., Macon co., Ala., 172 s. E. Tuscaloosa, 786 W.
Auburn, (Four Corners,) p-v., Susquehanna co., Pa., 185 n. by e.
Harrisburg, 285 W. In the t. are 2 stores, cap. $3,000; 1 grist
m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac $3,995. 8 schools, 200 scholars.
Audrain, County, Mo. It is central toward the
e. part of the state, and contains 435 sq. ms. The surface is
level, and the soil good. It is drained by the s. Fork of Salt
river. Capital, Mexico. There were in 1840, neat cattle 2,016,
sheep 1,655, swine 5,975; wheat 2,927 bush, produced, Ind. corn
77,320, oats 12,700, potatoes i 3,715, tobacco 24,080 pounds; 4
stores, cap. $7,600; 5 grist m., 2 saw m.; 2 sch. 45 scholars.
Pop. whites 1,752, slaves 195, free col'd 2; total, 1,949.
Audubon, p-o., Hardiman co., Tenn., 172 s. w. (con't)
Nashville, 887 W. It is on Cat cr., 10 s. s. e. Bolivar.
Auglaize, t, Allen co., O. It has 3 schools. Pop. 732.
Auglaize, t., Paulding co., O. Pop. 298.
Auglaize, r., O., rises in Allen co., has numerous branches, and
forms a large branch of the Maumee r., entering it on the s.
side, at Defiance. It is boatable, in high water, 50 or 60
Augusta, p-t., capital of Kennebec co., and of the state of Me.,
is situated on both sides of the Kennebec r., 43 ms. from the
ocean, at the head of sloop navigation, 44° 18' 43" n. lat. 69°
50' w. lon., 146 n. e. Concord, N. H., 163 n. n. e. Boston,
Mass., 595 W. Pop. 1810, 1,805; 1820, 2,475; 1830, 3,980; 1840,
5,314. First settled 1771, incorporated 1797. The t. is 8 by 6
miles. The parts of the village are connected by a fine bridge
across the Kennebec, 520 feet long, which cost $28,000. It is
regularly laid out; the ground rises on each side of the river;
it has many fine buildings, and the streets are ornamented by
trees on each side. Its agriculture, commerce, and manufactures
are flourishing. Its tonnage is over 3,000. The state house is a
beautiful white granite building on a commanding eminence, half
a mile s. from the village. The apartments for the senate, house
of representatives, and state offices, are spacious and elegant.
Before it, is a spacious park, ornamented with walks and trees.
The United States arsenal is a large stone edifice on the E.
side of the r. The state insane hospital is a splendid granite
edifice with wings, on the e. side of the r., surrounded by 70
acres of ground, and cost $100,000. The Augusta high school is a
large brick building, 65 by 50 feet, 2 stories high, with a fine
doric portico, and cost $7,000. There is a splendid dam erected
across the Kennebec, half a mile above the village, with locks
to facilitate navigation, completed in 1837, at an expense of
$300,000, which will create an immense water power. In
constructing the dam, 2,500,000 feet of timber were used, and
75,000 tons of stones and gravel were deposited in it. The pond
formed by this dam extends 16 miles, and covers 1,200 acres. It
has 64 stores, cap. $141,650; 3 tanneries, 1 distillery, 4 grist
m., 4 saw m., 2 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $66,550. 2 acad. 150
students, 26 sch. 1,129 scholars.
Augusta, p-t., Oneida co., N. Y., 100 w. N. w. Albany, 370 W.
The v. is on Skanandoa cr. Contains 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist,
and 1 Methodist church, an academy, 2 stores, 1 grist m., and 40
dwellings. The t. contains 4 stores, cap. $22,000; 2 fulling m.,
2 tanneries, 5 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $45,950. 1
acad. 92 students, 14 sch. 626 scholars. Pop. 2,175.
Augusta, p-v., Frankford t., Sussex co., N. J., 75 n. Trenton,
244 W. It has a Presbyterian church, and 8 or 10 dwellings.
Augusta, p-t., Northumberland co., Pa., 65 n. Harrisburg, 165 W.
The surface is diversified; soil, alluvial, red shale, and
gravel. Drained by Great and Little Shamokin creeks, which unite
and flow into the Susquehanna. It has 1 store, cap. $3,000; 1
pottery, 5 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $21,400. 9 sch.
452 scholars. Pop. 2,409.
Augusta, p-t., Carroll co., O., 135 e. Columbus, 304 W. It is
watered by tributaries of Sandy cr. Pop. 1,234.
Augusta, p-v., Des Moines co., Iowa. Situated on the n. side of
Skunk r. It contains several stores and neat dwellings, 1
carding machine, and 1 flouring m., the largest in the s. part
of the territory.
Augusta, C.H., p-v., Bracken co., Ky.,73 n. e Frankfort, 487 W.
It contains a church, a court house, a jail, and a college with
104 students, 1 sch. 28 scholars. Pop. 786.
Augusta, County, Va., central in the w.
district, contains 900 sq. ms. The surface is uneven or
mountainous. It is drained by tributaries of James r. and
Shenandoah r. The soil is fertile, of which wheat is the
principal production. Capital, Staunton. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 21,479, sheep 19,660, swine 32,445; wheat 324,332
bush, produced, rye 92,227, Ind. corn 384,408, oats 244,889,
potatoes 48,357; 34 stores, cap. $117,300; 2 fulling m., 18
tanneries, 58 distilleries, 3 furnaces, 1 paper manufac, 29
flouring m., 13 grist m., 31 saw m., 3 oil m., 1 printing
office, 1 weekly paper. Cap. in manufac. $137,910. 2 acad. 60
students, 29 com. sch. 633 scholars. Pop. 1830, 19,925; 1840,
whites 15,072, slaves 4,145, free col'd 421; total 19,628.
Augusta, p-v., city and capital of Richmond co., Ga., on the s.
w. side of Savannah r., 96 Milledgeville, 120 n. w. Savannah,
575 W. Pop. 1830, 4,000; 1840, 6,403. It is regularly lain out
and handsomely built, chiefly of brick. The streets cross each
other at right angles, and are ornamented with trees, and many
of the houses are spacious and elegant. It has a city hall,
court house, jail, theatre, arsenal, hospital, and a female
asylum. It contains 7 churches, 1 Baptist, 1 Episcopal, 1
Methodist, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Roman Catholic, 1 Unitarian, and 1
African. It is connected with Charleston and Milledgeville by
railroad. It has a rich back country, and a very active trade,
and sends a great amount of cotton, tobacco, and other produce,
down the r. to Savannah. It contains 12 commission houses in
foreign trade, capital $245,000; 265 stores, cap. $1,281,870; 2
furnaces, 2 printing offices, 2 daily, 4 weekly, 2 semi-weekly
newspapers, and 2 periodicals. Cap. in manufac. $44,500. 3 acad.
105 students, 3 sch. 148 scholars.
Augusta, p-v., and capital of Perry co., Miss., 173 s. e.
Jackson, 1,051 W. It is situated on Leaf r., a branch of the
Augusta, p-v., Marion co., In., 9 n. Indianapolis, 580 W.
Situated on a branch of White r.
Augusta, p-v., Hancock co., Ill., 87 w. by s. Springfield, 865
Augusta, t., Kalamazoo co., Mich., 12 E. Kalamazoo. It is on the
s. bank of Kalamazoo r. Pop. 616.
Augusta, t., Washtenaw Co., Mich. Pop. 646.
Auraria, p-v., Lumpkin co., Ga., 135 n. n. w. Milledgeville, 625
W. It is situated on the dividing ridge between Chestatee and
Etowah rs., in the richest part of the gold region, and is
rapidly increasing m population.
Aurelius, p-t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 5 w. Auburn, 158 w. by n.
Albany, 337 W. The surface is undulating, and the soil good,
being clay and gravelly loam. Watered by the Owasco outlet, and
streams flowing w. into Cayuga lake. It has 3 stores, cap.
$1l,950; 3 fulling m., 3 woollen fac, 2 tanneries, 1 flouring
m., 6 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $52,900. It has 14
sch. 786 scholars. Pop. 2,645.
Aurelius, t., Washington co., O., 20 n. Marietta, 40 s. e.
Columbus, 408 W. Situated on the w. branch of Duck cr. The
surface is hilly, and the soil rich.
Aurelius, t., Ingham co., Mich. It has 1 sch. 20 scholars. Pop.
Auriesville, p-o., Glen t., Montgomery co., N. Y., 40 n. w.
Albany, 408 W.
Aurora, t., Erie co., N. Y., 276 w. Albany, 15 s. e. Buffalo.
The surface is undulating soil clay and gravelly loam. Drained
by Seneca and Cazenove creeks. It contains 10 stores, cap.
$24,600; 3 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 5 19 saw m. Cap. in manufac
$62,325. Pop. 2,908.
Aurora, p-t., Hancock co. Me , 116 e.
gusta, 698 W. It has 2 sch. d0 scholars. Pop. 149
Aurora, p-v., Ledyard t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 170 w Albany, 323
V. Delightfully situated on the e. bank of Cayuga lake.
Incorporated 1837 It has 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, and 1
Methodist church, the Cayuga academy, 4 stores and several
warehouses, 80 dwellings, and 500 inhabitants. It has a number
of manufactories; and steamboats stop here several times daily.
Aurora, p-t., Portage co., O., 25 Cleveland, 144 n. E. Columbus,
335 W. It has 2 churches, 4 stores, and 16 mechanic shops. It is
celebrated for the quantity and quality of its cheese. More than
2,000 cows are kept in the town, which produce over 300 tons of
cheese, and 30 tons of butter annually. 7 schools, 199 scholars.
Aurora, p-v., Racine co., Wis. Ter., 110 s. e. Madison, 776 W.
Aurora, p-v., Dearborn co., In., 87 s. E. Indianapolis, 518 W.
Situated on the N. w. bank of Ohio r.
Aurora, p-v., Kane co., Ill., 117 n. n. e. Springfield, 754 W.
Situated on the w. side of Fox r.
Aurora, p-v., Callaway co., Ky., 243 s. w. Frankfort, 770 W.
Aurora, p-o., Marshall co., Ala., 122 n. n. e. Tuscaloosa, 715
Aurora, p-o., Clark co., Ark.
Au Sable, t., Clinton co., N. Y., 15 s. Plattsburg, 140 n.
Albany. The surface is undulating or hilly; soil, sandy and clay
loam, drained by Great and Little Au Sable rivers. 17 stores,
cap. $60,300; 1 tannery, 1 brewery, 1 grist m., 15 saw m., 2
furnaces. Cap. in manufac. $101,975. Pop. 3,222.
Au Sable, p-o., Jay t., Essex co., N. Y., 144 N. Albany, 519 W.
Au Sable, p-o., Kendall co., Ill.
Au Sable Forks, p-v., Jay t., Essex co., N. Y., 154 Albany, 529
W. It is situated at the junction of the e. and w. branch of Au
Sable r. It has 1 church, 5 stores, 1 forge, 1 rolling m., 1
nail factory, 2 saw m., and 70 dwellings. Pop 500.
Au Sable, r., rises in Essex co., N. Y., near the head waters of
the Hudson, and empties into Lake Champlain, in the s. part of
Clinton co. It passes by the manufacturing villages of
Clintonville, Keeseville, and Birmingham, affording by its falls
great water power. Immediately below the lower falls at
Birmingham, the river passes through a chasm, for the distance
of 2 miles, in which the banks consist of nearly perpendicular
rocks, from 75 to 150 feet high, and about 50 feet across at
Autauga, County, Ala., near the centre of the
state, contains 1,000 sq. ms. The surface is varied and broken,
and the soil moderately fertile, except on the rivers, where it
is rich. It is drained by Autauga cr. and other branches of the
Alabama r. Capital, Kingston. There were in 18-40, neat cattle
9,989, sheep 1,889, swine 8,938; wheat 7,155 bush, produced, rye
2,326, Ind. corn 402,700, oats 26,159, potatoes 22,090, cotton
1,076,801 pounds, 3 tanneries, 1 pottery, 3 flouring m., 43
grist m., 20 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $177 250 1 acad. 50
students, 22 com. sch. 549 scholars. Pop. 1830, 11,874; 1840,
whites 6,217 slaves 8,109, free col'd 16; total, 14,342.
Austerlitz, p-t., Columbia co., N. Y., 31 s.s. w. Albany, 363 W.
The surface is hilly and rough, and the soil is gravelly, and
clay loam. It is watered by Green r., a branch of the
Housatonic. The village has 1 church, 2 stores, and 20
dwellings. Spencertown is another small village in the town. The
t. contains 4 stores, cap. $2,900; 2 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2
grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $19,600. 1 acad. 35
students, 18 sch. 824 scholars. Pop. 2,091.
Austerlitz, p-v., Kent co., Mich., 178 w. N. w. Detroit, 659 W.
Austinburg, p-t., Ashtabula co., O., 201 N. E. Columbus, 334 W.
It has 1 Presbyterian church, 1 academy, 1 store, 2 flouring m.,
3 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 woollen fac, 2 fulling m., and 2 carding
machines, 1 acad. 71 students. Pop. 1,047.
Austin's Ferry, p-o., Grainger co., Tenn., 217 e. by n.
Nashville, 473 W.
Austintown, t., Trumbull co., O., 12 s. e. Warren, 160 n. e.
Columbus; 12 sch. 425 scholars. Pop. 1,245.
Austinville, p-o., Wythe co., Va., 247 w. s. w. Richmond, 315 W.
Austinville, p-o., Livingston co., Mo., 173 N. w. Jefferson
city, 1,067 W.
Ava, p-o., Boonville t., Oneida co., N. Y., 124 w. N. w. Albany,
Ava, p-v., Winnebago co., Ill.
Averill, t., Essex co., Vt., 30 n. Guildhall, on the Canada
line. The head branches of Nulhegan r. flow s. into the
Connecticut, while other streams, the outlets of large ponds,
flow into the St. Francis r. in Canada. The soil is broken and
cold. Pop. 11.
Avent's Cross Roads, p-o., Greenville co., Va., 99 s. Richmond,
Averysborough, p-v., Cumberland co., N. C, 35 s. Raleigh, 323 W.
On the s. e. bank of Cape Fear r.
Avery's Gore, t., Addison co., Vt. It lies nearly on the summit
of the Green Mountains. Chartered in 1791, and has 1 sch. 10
scholars. Pop. 78.
Avery's Gore, p-t., Franklin co., Vt., 57 n. by w. Montpelier,
567 W. 1 sch. 12 scholars. Pop. 35.
Aviston, p-t., Clinton co., Ill., 102 s. Springfield, 786 W.
Avoca, p-v., Bath t., Steuben co., N. Y., 225 w. by s. Albany,
307 W. It is on the Conhocton r., and has 1 Presbyterian church,
2 stores, 1 flouring m., 2 saw m., and 30 dwellings. Pop. 200.
Avoca, p-o., Jefferson co., Mo., 159 e. by s. Jefferson city,
Avon, p-t., Franklin co., Me., 49 n. w. Augusta, 635 W. 2
stores, cap. $900; 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,915. 13 sch. 345
scholars. Pop. 827.
Avon, p-t., Hartford co., Ct., 10 w. n. w. Hartford, 336 W. It
was taken from Farmington in 1830, and has considerable good
land on the borders of Farmington r. It contains 3 stores, cap.
$3,000; 1 fulling m., 3 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$8,500. 5 sch. 164 scholars. Pop. 1,001.
Avon, p-v., Livingston co., N. Y., 222 w. by n. Albany, 355 W.
It is pleasantly situated about half a mile e. of Genesee r.,
elevated 100 feet above the level of the r. The village contains
3 churches, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist, 3 hotels
and public boarding houses. 4 stores, and various mechanic
shops. On the s. w. of the village are two celebrated mineral
springs, 60 or 80 rods apart. Near them are 3 bathing houses,
for the use of the waters. These waters contain various salts,
with sulphuretted hydrogen gas, and other gases, and are
efficacious in disordered digestion, rheumatism, gout, and
cutaneous affections. The t. contains 10 stores, cap. $16,000; 1
furnace, 1 flouring m., 2 grist mills, 3 saw mills. Capital in
manufactures $46,960. 15 sch. 515 scholars. Pop. 2,999.
Avon, p-t., Lorain co., O., 17 w.
Cleveland, 135 n. n. k. Columbus, 377 W. It lies bordering on
Lake Erie. French cr. passes through the middle of the town. It
has 1 store, capital $3,000; 1 tannery, 5 saw mill. Capital in
manufactures, $2,900. 7 schools, 305 scholars. Pop. 1,220.
Avon, p-v., Kane co., Ill., 198 N. N. E. Springfield, 769 W.
Avon, t., Oakland co., Mich. It contains 9 stores, cap. $25,150;
3 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 5 flouring m., 3 grist
m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $85,745. 8 sch. 517 scholars. Pop.
Avondale, p-o., Chester co., Pa., 71 s. e. Harrisburg, 101 W.
Axeville, p-o., Connewango t., Cattaraugus co., N. Y., 312 w. by
s. Albany, 342 W.
Ayersville, p-o., Stokes co., N. C, 122 w. n. w. Raleigh, 302 W.
Aylett's, p-o., King William co., Va., 28 n. E. Richmond, 116 W.
Azalia, p-v., Bartholomew co., In., 60 s. s. E. Indianapolis,
Aztalan, p-t., Jefferson co., Wis., 30 e. by s. Madison, 840 W.
It has 1 saw m., 2 sch. 42 scholars. Pop. 250.
Avoyelles, Parish, La., lies on the w. of the
Mississippi, and the Atchafalaya and the Red r. pass through it.
It contains a surface of 1,080 sq. ms. The part of it bordering
on the streams is subject to be overflowed, and is not fit for
cultivation; but in its w. part, is a slightly elevated table
land, which is dry, and tolerably fertile. The principal
production is cotton. Capital, Marksville. It had in 1840, neat
cattle 9,801, sheep 1,870, swine 1,510; Ind. corn 115,861 bush,
produced, potatoes 39,218, cotton 7,015,922 pounds; 54 grist m.,
3 saw m., 50 oil m.; 2 acad. 45 students, 3 sch. 47 scholars.
Pop. 1830, 3,484; 1840, whites 3,066, slaves 3,472, free col'd
78; total, 6,616.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!