Babylon, NY to Bangor, ME
Babylon, p-v., Huntington t., Suffolk
co., N. Y., 185 s. E. Albany, 265 W. It is situated near South
Bay, has 1 church, 4 stores, 4 m. It is a pleasant resort, in
the summer season, for fishing and fowling. Pop. about 250.
Bachelor's Retreat, p-o., Pickens dist., S. C, 20 s. w.
Pendleton, 167 n. w. Columbia, 572 W.
Bachman's Mills, p-o., Carroll co., Md., 65 n. Annapolis, 75 W.
Back Creek, p-o., Somerset co., Md., 117 s. e. Annapolis, 157 W.
Back Creek, p-o., Scriven co., Ga., 123 e. Milledgeville, 644 W.
Back Creek Valley, p-o., Frederick co., Va., 159 n. Richmond, 87
Bacon Castle, p-o., Surry co., Va., 63 s. e. Richmond, 186 W.
Bad River, rises in Saginaw co., Mich., and enters into Saginaw
Bagdad, p-o., Smith co., Tenn., 64 e. n. e. Nashville, 643 W.
Baggs, p-o., McIntosh co., Ga., 130 s. e. Milledgeville, 35
Bahama Channel, or Gulf of Florida, the narrow sea between the
coast of America and the Bahama islands, 135 ms. long, and 46
wide. The currents here are most violent, formed by an
inflection of the Gulf Stream, passing at the rate of from 2 to
5 ms. an hour, among islands; and vessels are frequently wrecked
in passing through this strait.
Baileysburgh, p-v., Surry co., Va., 66 s. e. Richmond, 185 W.
Bailey's Landing, p-o., Lincoln co., Mo., 96 n. e. Jefferson
city, 865 W.
Bailey's Mills, p-o., Jefferson co., Flor.
Baileyville, p-t., Washington co., Me., 209 E. Augusta, 795 W.
Situated on the St. Croix r. It has 1 saw m.; 4 sch. 154
scholars. Pop. 329.
Baileysville, p-o., Centre co., Pa., 98 n. w. Harrisburg, 170 W.
Bald Eagle, t., Clinton co., Pa. Pop. 1,178.
Bainbridge, p-t., Chenango co., N. Y, 104 w. by s. Albany, 320
W. The soil is good, and adapted both to grain and grazing. It
is watered bv the Susquehanna r. and its tributaries. Pop.
3,324.7 grist m., 12 saw m.; 24 sch. 1,064 scholars.
Bainbridge, p-v., West Donnegal t., Lancaster co., Pa., 20 s. e.
Harrisburg, 112 W. It is on the w. bank of the Susquehanna, and
contains 15 or 20 dwellings.
Bainbridge, p-v., Ross co., O., 18 s. w. Chillecothe, 69 s.
Columbus, 424 W. It is near the falls of Paint cr., contains 2
brick churches, and about 60 dwellings.
Bainbridge, t., Geauga co., O., in the s. w. comer of the co. It
is watered by Chagrin r. and its branches. It contains 1 store,
cap. $300; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 2 saw m.; 10 sch. 389
scholars. Pop. 988.
Bainbridge, t., Berrien co., Mich. It has 1 grist m., 3 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $7,500. 2 sch. 41 scholars. Pop. 251.
Bainbridge, p-v., and capital of Decatur co., Ga., 188 s. s. w.
Milledgeville, 845 W. Situated on the e. side of Flint r. It has
a court house, jail, and several dwellings.
Bainbridge, p-v., Putnam co., In., 38 w. Indianapolis, 609 W.
Situated a little w. of the Walnut fork of Eel r.
Bainbridge, p-o., Macon co., Ala., 102 s. e. Tuscaloosa, 789 W.
Bainbridge, p-v., Williamson co., Ill., 176 s. by e.
Springfield, 827 W. Situated on the s. side of a small branch of
Big Muddy r.
Bainbridge, v., Cape Girardeau co., Mo. Situated on the
Mississippi r., e. of Jackson, the co. seat, and opposite
Bainbridge Centre, p-o., Bainbridge t., Chenango co., N. Y., 107
w. by s. Albany, 317 W.
Bairdstown, p-t., capital of Nelson co., Ky., 40 s. w.
Frankfort, 60 w. s. w. Lexington, 615 W. It is on the e. side of
Beech Fork, one of the branches of Salt r. It has a stone court
house and jail, a church, market house, 1 acad. 100 students, 1
sch. 35 scholars. Pop. 1,492. St. Joseph's college, Roman
Catholic, situated in the vicinity, was founded in 1819. It has
a president, and 14 professors or other instructors, 150 alumni,
69 students, and 7,000 volumes in its libraries. The
commencement is on the 1st of August.
Baiting Hollow, p-v., Riverhead t., Suffolk co., N. Y., 221 s.
e. Albany, 301 W. Contains a Methodist church, and about 12 or
Baker, p-o., Jackson t., Champaign co., O., 11 s. w. Urbanna, 56
w. Columbus, 450 W.
Baker's, p-o., Lenawee co., Mich., 82 s. w. Detroit, 497 W.
Baker's, r., Grafton co., N. H., is formed of a n. and s.
branch, the former of which rises near Moosehillock mountain,
and pursuing a s. e. and E. course, it falls into Pemigewasset
r., just above the village of Plymouth.
Baker's Island, Mass., off Salem harbor, on the n. end of which
is a lighthouse. It is not quite half a mile long, and is 5 ms.
e. n. e. of Salem.
Baker's Falls, on Hudson r., Sandy Hill t., Washington co., N.
Y. The falls, with the connected rapids, descend 70 feet in 100
Baker, County, Ga., is situated in the s. w.
part of the state. Organized in 1825. It is watered by Flint r.,
which passes through it from the N. e. to the s. w. The
Itchawaynochaway and its branches, also traverse it from N. to
s., and enter Flint r. near the s. border of the county. The
soil is sandy, but productive for sugar. Capital, Newton. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 12,450, sheep 879, swine 13,355; wheat
1,931 bush, produced, Ind. corn 92,509, oats 2,718, potatoes
5,222, cotton 815,473 pounds, sugar 4,260; 8 stores, cap. $33,1
16; 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Pop. 1830, 1,253; 1840, whites 2,447,
slaves 1,773, free col'd 6; total, 4,226.
Bakersfield, p-t., Franklin co., Vt, 30 n. e.
Burlington, 49 n. n. w. Montpelier, 551 W. First settled 1789,
chartered 1791. The surface, containing 26,000 acres, is broken,
but not mountainous, and the soil warm and productive. Watered
by small branches of the Missisque r. It has 3 stores, cap.
$5,000; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $11,450. 9 sch. 197 scholars. Pop. 1,258.
Bakerstown, p-v., Alleghany co., Pa., 14 Pittsburg, 217 w.
Harrisburg, 243 W.
Bakersville, p-v., Yancey co., N. C., 247 w. Raleigh, 473 W.
Balcony Falls, p-o., Rockbridge co., Va., 147 w. Richmond, 210
W. Situated on James r., at the passage of the Blue Ridge, at
the western termination of the James r. canal. The r. is here
compressed, and is crossed by a dam, for the purpose of feeding
the canal. The surrounding scenery is highly picturesque.
Bald Creek, p-o., Yancey co., N. C, 251 w. Raleigh, 481 W.
Bald Eagle, t., Clinton co., Pa. It has 4 stores, cap. 11,000; 2
forges, 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 2 flouring m., 1 grist m., 3
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $13,350. 2 sch. 99 scholars. Pop. 1,178.
Bald Eagle, r., Pa., runs n. e. 44 ms., through Centre and
Clinton counties, and after a course of 50 ms., falls into the
w. branch of the Susquehanna.
Bald Eagle, mountains, Pa., situated on the confines of
Huntingdon and Centre counties, n. e. of Juniata r. Bald Eagle
valley lies on the e. side, and is 5 ms. wide, having beneath it
a bed of limestone. This valley, which is pleasant, has a place
where caverns in the rocks absorb the principal streams of the
valley, and they run several miles under ground, before they
Bald Head, cape, on the s. w. point of Wells Bay, Me.
Bald Head, the s. w. end of Smith's island, at the mouth of Cape
Fear r., N. C. It has a lighthouse, lat. 33° 51' n., lon. 78°
Bald Mount, p-o., Luzerne co., Pa., 147 n. n. E. Harrisburg, 251
Baldwin, p-o., Butler co., Pa., 207 w. n. w. Harrisburg, 259 W.
Baldwin, t., Cumberland co., Me., 40 n. w Portland, 150 n. n. e.
Boston, 583 W. It has Sebago pond on the e., and Saco r. on the
w. Incorporated, 1802. It contains 1 tannery, 4 grist m., 4 saw
m.; 11 sch. 471 scholars. Pop. 1,134.
Baldwin, p-v., Hinds co., Miss., 43 Jackson, 1,053 W. Situated
on the e. side of Big Black r. Baldwin, county, Ga., in the
central part of the state. It has an area of about 216 sq. ms.
The face of the country is uneven, and the soil moderately good,
excepting on the streams, where it is fertile. The Oconee r.
passes through it. The capital of the co., and also of the
state, is Milledgeville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,041,
sheep 2,639, swine 12,549; wheat 9,779 bush, produced, rye
1,195, Ind. corn 210,686, oats 12,556, potatoes 9,486, cotton
1,561,654 pounds; 18 stores, cap. $171,000; 4 tanneries, 4 saw
m., 4 printing offices, 4 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
$97,810. 1 college, 50 students, 7 acad. 233 students, 1 sch. 12
scholars. Pop. 1830, 7,295; 1840, whites 3,075, slaves 4,107,
free col'd 68; total, 7,250.
Baldwin, County, Ala., in the s. part of the
state. It contains about 2,000 sq. ms. The surface near the Gulf
of Mexico is a sandy plain, but gradually rises into pine
ridges, in the interior. The soil is generally poor, though some
good land is found along the streams. Chief production, cotton.
Capital, Blakely. There were in 1840, neat cattle 17,359, sheep
648, swine 5, 175; Ind. corn 49,330 bush, produced, potatoes
12,941, rice 15,180 pounds, cotton 213,121; 11 stores, cap.
$28,150; 2 distilleries, 14 grist m., 39 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$135,000. 7 sch. 110 scholars. Pop. 1830, 2,324; 1840, whites
1,161, slaves 1,707, free col'd 83; total, 2,951.
Baldwinsville, p-v., Templeton t., Worcester co., Ms., 64 w. by
n. Boston, 414 W.
Baldwinsville, p-v., Lysander t, Onondaga co., N. Y., 145 w. by
n. Albany, 262 W., on the n. side of Seneca r. It has 2
churches, 8 stores, 150 dwellings, 1 large woollen fac, 3
flouring m., 3 saw m., 1 iron foundry, 2 machine shops, 1 sash
fac, &c. It has a flourishing academy. Seneca r. has a tow path,
by which this place is connected with the Oswego canal. Pop.
Baldwinsville, p-v., Scott co., Mo., 260 s. e. Jefferson city,
Bale's Branch, p-o., Green co., Tenn., 262 Nashville, 424 W.
Baley, t., Benton co., Ark. Pop. 373.
Balize, In., (See North West Pass village.)
Ballard, co., Ky., taken from Hickman and McCracken counties in
1842, situated in the w. part of the state, and contains 375 sq.
ms. The Ohio r. bounds it on the n. and n. w., and the
Mississippi r. on the w. Drained by Mayfield's cr. and branches.
Ballard's Bridge, p-o., Chowan co., N. C. 195 e. n. e. Raleigh,
Ballardsville, p-v., Logan co., Va., 346 Richmond, 383 W.
Ballardsville, p-v., Oldham co., Ky., 29 n. w. Frankfort, 571 W.
Situated near the e. line of the county.
Ballow's Ferry, p-o., Calcasieu parish, In., 334 w. n. w. N.
Orleans, 1,359 W. Situated on e. side of the Sabine r.
Ball Ground, p-o., Cherokee co., Ga.
Ball Play, p-o., Cherokee co., Ala., 189 N. E. Tuscaloosa, 680
Ballville, t., Sandusky co., O., lying on both sides of Sandusky
r., affording excellent mill seats.
Ballston, t., Saratoga co., N. Y., 26 Albany 395 W. The surface
of the t. is undulating, and the soil a gravelly loam. On its
eastern boundary is Ballston or Long lake, 4 ms. long, and half
a mile wide, the outlet of which affords some water 1 power.
Organized in 1788. There are several post-offices and small
villages in the place. The Schenectady and Saratoga railroad
passes through the t. It contains 2 stores, cap. $4,500; 1
fulling m., 1 woollen fac, 3 tanneries, 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $12,800. 1 acad. 23 students, 11 schs, 269 scholars.
Ballston Centre, p-v., Ballston t., Saratoga co., N. Y., 25
Albany, 396 W. It has 1 Presbyterian church, 1 store, and 10 or
Balston Spa, p-v., and capital of Saratoga co., N. Y., is
situated in Milton t., 28 Albany, 399 W. Through the village
flows a small branch of the Kayaderosseras creek. Incorporated
1807. It has a brick court house and jail, a county clerk's
office, 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, and
1 Methodist, 1 banking house, 20 stores, 200 dwellings, and
about 1,500 inhabitants. It has 2 flouring m., 1 saw m., 1 iron
foundry, 1 machine shop, 2 tanneries, and 1 distillery. There
are several mineral springs at the place, more celebrated
formerly than at present, as they have lost some of their
properties, and the Sans Souci Hotel, a large building, erected
for the accommodation of visiters, and which is much frequented
in the summer season. It is connected by rail roads with Troy,
Schenectady, and Saratoga.
Ballsville, p-o., Powhatan co., Va., 48 w. Richmond, 151 W.
Baltimore, County, Md., situated in the n. part
of the state, contains 900 sq. ms. The surface is hilly, but not
mountainous. It is watered by Gunpowder and Patapsco rivers. The
capital is Baltimore. There were in 1840, neat cattle 13,723,
sheep 16,826, swine 23,883; wheat 153,181 bushels produced, rye
79,132, Ind. corn 523,423, buckwheat 9,116, oats 300,278,
potatoes 183,684, tobacco 9,417 pounds; 70 for. commercial, and
108 commission houses, cap. $4,404,500; 1,310 ret. stores, cap.
$6,795,038; 2 forges, 4 fulling m., 2 woollen fac, 13 cotton
fac. 34,102 sp., 3 dyeing and printing estab., 27 tanneries, 5
distilleries, 3 breweries, 5 powder m., 1 glass fac. 9
potteries, 33 flouring m., 48 grist m., 34 saw m., 8 rope walks,
4 paper fac, 19 printing offices, 6 daily, 7 weekly, and 5
semi-weekly newspapers, 6 periodicals. Cap. in manufac.
$4,294,792. 4 colleges, 395 students, 61 acad. 2,372 students,
94 sch. 3,043 scholars. Population 1830, 120,876; 1840, whites
105,331, slaves 7,595, free colored 21,453; total, 134,379.
Baltimore, the third city in population and commerce in the
United States, and capital of Baltimore county, in Maryland, is
situated on the N. side of the Patapsco river, 14 miles from its
entrance into the Chesapeake Bay, and 200 ms. from the ocean, by
ship channel; and is in 39° 17' n. lat., and 76° 36' w. lon.
from Greenwich, and 0° 26' e. lon. from Washington. It is 40
miles n. e. from Washington, 97 s. w. from Philadelphia, 183 s.
w. from New York, 398 s. w. from Boston, 160 n. e. from
Richmond, 230 e. s. E. from Pittsburg, 590 n. n. e. from
Charleston. The population in 1790, was 13,503; in 1800, 26,514;
in 1810, 35,583; in 1820,62,738; in 1830, 80,625; in 1840,
102,313, of which 3,199 were slaves. Employed in commerce,
1,991; in manufactures and trades, 8,847; learned professions,
554. It had 4 colleges with 395 students; 50 academies and
grammar schools, with 2,044 students, 63 common schools with
3,401 scholars; and 1,191 white persons over twenty, who could
neither read nor write. The city is pleasantly situated, on
slightly undulating ground, with commanding elevations on the n.
and E. As laid out it includes 4 miles square, and is built
around a bay which sets up from the n. side of the Patapsco. The
streets are regular and spacious, and the houses are neat, most
of them of brick, and some of them are splendid. The harbor,
which is very fine, consists of three parts. The entrance to it,
between Fort M'Henry and the Lazaretto, is about 600 yards wide,
with 22 feet of water. This depth is continued, with an
increased width, for a mile and a quarter, to mar Fell's Point.
Opposite Fell's Point, the width is contracted to one fourth of
a mile. This is the entrance to the second harbor, and is about
12 feet deep; but it widens above into an ellipse, a mile long,
half a mile broad, and 15 feet deep. The third or inner harbor
has a depth of 10 feet, and penetrates to near the centre of the
city. It is well defended by Fort M'Henry, at the entrance to
the outer harbor, which was proved by a powerful attack that was
made upon it and repulsed, in the last war with Great Britain.
Jones' Fulls, a small stream from the N., divides the city into
2 parts, and over it are erected 3 elegant stone bridges and 4
wooden ones. Vessels of 500 or 600 tons can lie at the wharves
near Fell's Point; but those of 200 tons can come up to the town
m the inner harbor. The amount of the tonnage of this port in
1840, was 76,022. Among the public buildings, the City Hall, on
Holliday-street, is a plain building, 3 stories high, having a
portico with 4 massive pillars; and is occupied by the city
council and several offices. The Court House, corner of Monument
square and Lexington-street, is a large and commodious building,
and is appropriated to the city and county courts, with their
connected offices. It is 145 feet long and 65 wide, two stories
high, constructed of marble and brick In front are several
Tuscan columns, and the whole is surmounted by a cupola of an
imposing appearance There are six markets. The State
Penitentiary consists of three large buildings, besides
workshops and some other buildings, and occupies 4 acres,
containing gardens and walks, surrounded by a stone wall 20 feet
high. The prisoners work together by day, and are confined in
separate cells at night. The County Prison, near the
Penitentiary, is a neat building, with embattled towers at the
ends, and has an appropriate cupola. The House of Refuge is well
fitted for its purpose. But the most imposing public structure
is the Washington Monument, at the intersection of Charles and
Monument streets. Its base is 50 feet square and 20 feet high,
on which is a pedestal supporting a Doric column, 140 feet high,
on the top of which is a statue of Washington, 13 feet high. The
column is 20 feet in diameter at the bottom and 14 feet at the
top, and is ascended by a circular stair-case on the inside. The
Battle Monument, corner of Calvert and Fayette streets, was
erected in 1815, in commemoration of the successful defence of
the city against an attack of the British in September, 1814,
and is 52 feet high, including an elegant statue on the top,
emblematical of the city of Baltimore. The names of those who
fell in the battle are inscribed on the column in letters of
gold. Baltimore is well supplied with pure and wholesome water.
In several parts of the city are public springs or fountains,
accessible to all the citizens. These fountains are enclosed by
circular railings, and covered by small, neat, open temples,
consisting of columns supporting a dome. These are denominated
the City Spring, Western Fountain, Centre Fountain, and Eastern
Fountain; and they are an ornament as well as a convenience to
the city. But there is a still more copious supply of water from
an elevated part of Jones' Falls, in an aqueduct half a mile
long, to a reservoir on Calvert-street, whence it is distributed
in pipes through the city. The harbor of Baltimore is accessible
through a great part of the year, though sometimes obstructed by
ice. The commerce is great, for which it enjoys peculiar
facilities. It possesses most of the trade of Maryland, about
half that of Pennsylvania, and a portion of that of the Western
States. In its shipping, it is the third city in the Unlon. It
is the greatest market for tobacco in the United States, and the
greatest flour market in the world. Its tonnage in 1840 amounted
to 76,022. Its manufactures are not less extensive than its
commerce. A vast amount of water power is concentrated in its
vicinity. Jones' Falls, though a small stream, has a succession
of falls which afford considerable water power. The Patapsco,
though not a large river, has a fall of about 800 feet in a
course of thirty miles; and it affords many valuable mill sites.
There are within 20 miles of the city, 60 flouring mills,
besides numerous cotton manufactories, and other manufactories
of cloth, powder, paper, iron, copper, glass, steam engines,
chemicals, tobacco, &c. There were in 1840, 70 commercial and
108 commission houses, with a cap. of $4,404,500; 1,254 retail
stores, cap. $6,703,611; 20 lumber yards, cap. $267,500;
machinery manufac. to the amount of $284,000; hardware and
cutlery $10,300; precious metals $13,000; of various metals
$310,000; 1 woollen fac, cap. $20,000; 1 cotton fac. 3,600 sp.;
1 dyeing and printing establishment, total cap, $16,200;
tobacco, cap. $118,900; 13 tanneries, cap. $132,800; 3
distilleries, 3 breweries, capital $87,000; 1 powder m., cap.
$30,000; paints, drugs, &c, cap. $79,000; 1 glass factory,
capital $30,000; 9 potteries, cap. $22,300; 6 sugar refineries
produced $176,000; 3 paper fac. prod. $59,000; 8 rope walks,
cap. $66,550; 1 grist m., 2 saw m., cap. $27,000; furniture to
the amount of $268,200; 213 brick and stone houses, and 1 wooden
house, employed 845 persons, and cost $548,400; 19 printing
offices, 10 binderies, 6 daily, 7 weekly, 5 semi-weekly
newspapers, and 6 periodicals, employed 279 persons, and a cap.
of $119,900. Total cap. in manufactures $2,729,983. 4 univ. and
colleges, 395 students, 50 acad. or gram, sch., 2,044 students,
63 com. and prim, schools with 3,401 scholars. The Baltimore and
Port Deposite railroad extends 36 miles to Havre de Grace, and
there connects with a chain of railroads to Philadelphia, making
the whole distance 95 miles. The Washington branch of the
Baltimore and Ohio railroad extends 38 miles to Washington city.
The Baltimore and Ohio railroad is completed over 80 miles to
Harper's Ferry, and is designed to be continued to Wheeling, on
the Ohio. It already brings much trade into Baltimore and when
completed will form the most direct communication which exists
between the Atlantic coast and the Mississippi valley. The
Baltimore and Susquehanna railroad extends to York in
Pennsylvania, and connects with a chain of railroads to
Philadelphia and Baltimore. There are lines of steam packets to
Philadelphia and to Norfolk, and other packets to New York and
to various parts of the Atlantic coast. There were in 1840, 9
banks, besides savings institutions, with an aggregate cap. of
$2,500,000. The University of Maryland was incorporated in 1812,
and the Baltimore College has since been merged in it. It has an
academical and scientific, a medical and a law department. The
medical department has 6 professors and 65 students St. Mary's
College is a flourishing Catholic institution; has 25
instructors and 73 students, and 12,000 volumes in its
libraries. The Maryland Institute has for its object the
diffusion of scientific and mechanical knowledge, by means of
lectures and otherwise. It has a fine chemical laboratory, and a
complete philosophical apparatus. The Maryland Academy of
Science and Literature, located in the Athenseum buildings,
which were erected for scientific purposes, has collections in
the several departments of natural history, plaster casts, &c.
Other institutions are Asbury College, and several free schools,
founded by donations from benevolent individuals, The City
Library, the Apprentices Library, and the Exchange Reading Room
are valuable institutions. There is a number of public schools,
some of which have fine buildings, and are well provided with
all the means of instruction. There are in the city 42 churches,
of which the Episcopalians have 5, the Roman Catholics have 6,
one of which is a splendid cathedral, the Presbyterians have 3,
the Scotch Presbyterians 2, the Baptists 4, the Methodists have
9, and there are various others. There are various benevolent
institutions, among which are the hospital, the building of
which cost $150,000; the almshouse, 375 feet long, with spacious
grounds; several dispensaries and several orphan asylums, and
some others. There are 2 theatres, a circus, a museum, with some
other places of amusement. Baltimore was first laid out as a
town in 1729, and in 1765, it contained but 50 houses. It
received a charter as a city in 1797. Few towns in the United
States have risen more rapidly; and its growth is of a
substantial and permanent character.
Baltimore, p-v., Liberty t., Fairfield
co., O., 32 s. w. Columbus, 378 W. It is on high ground, on both
sides of the Ohio canal. It has 3 stores and 2 warehouses, 1
large flouring m., 2 tanneries, 1 woollen factory, over 100
dwellings, and more than 500 inhabitants. It has a printing
office, at which a weekly paper is issued.
Baltimore, t., Windsor co., Vt., 65 s. Montpelier. Organized in
1794. The surface is stony, and the soil warm. Hawk Mountain
divides it from Cavendish, to which it originally belonged. It
has 1 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 155.
Baltimore, Hundred, Sussex co., Del. It has 7 stores, cap.
6,400; 2 grist m., 2 sawm., 6 sch. 185 scholars. Pop. 2,241.
Baltimore, p-v., Warren co., In., 77 n. w. Indianapolis, 648 W.
Situated on the w. side of the Wabash r.
Bangor, city and p-t., the capital of Penobscot co., Me. It is
situated at the head of the navigation on the w. side of
Penobscot river, 60 miles from the ocean. It is in 44° 47' 50'
n. lat., and 68° 47' w. lon., 68 e. n. e. Augusta, 120 n. E. by
E. Portland, 230 n. e. Boston, Mass., 663 W. Pop. 1790, 169;
1800, 277; 1810, 850 1820, 1,221; 1830, 2,868; 1840, 8,627.
Kenduskeag, a stream 190 yards wide at its mouth, divides the
city into 2 parts, which are connected by bridges. This stream
has falls about 1 mile from the city, which afford many mill
seats. Just above the city, is abridge across the Penobscot r.,
1,320 feet long, connecting it with Orrington, which cost
$50,000. The harbor, which is at and below the mouth of the
Kenduskeag, is spacious; the tide here rises 17 feet, and is of
itself sufficient to float vessels of a large class. The
principal article of trade is lumber, which comes down the river
in immense quantities. 1,200 vessels, of over 100 tons burden
each, are employed, in the season of navigation, in the lumber
trade, besides a large number of vessels engaged in the coasting
and foreign trade. It has an extensive back country, in which
there is much good land. The city occupies a pleasant and
commanding situation, affording a fine view of the river and
surrounding country. The buildings, both public and private, are
not only neat, but many of them elegant. Steamboats regularly
ply between this place and Portland, and Boston, when the river
is open, which is about eight months in the year. Bangor has 7
churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist,
1 Lutheran, 1 Universalist, and 1 Roman Catholic. It was
incorporated as a town in 1791; as a city, in 1834. The Bangor
Theological Seminary, originally called the "Maine Charity
School," and first located at Hampden, 6 ms. s., was opened in
1816. It is designed to give a classical and theological
education for the ministry, in a shorter time than is ordinarily
employed in a collegiate and theological course, and is under
the direction of the Congregationalists. It has 3 professors, 43
students, 139 alumni, and 7,000 vols, in its libraries. 11
commercial and commission houses in foreign trade, cap. $98,500;
134 ret. stores, cap. $318,500; value of lumber produced
$305,500; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 42 saw m., 3 printing offices,
1 daily, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufactures $101,800. 2
academies, 29 students, 25 schools, 1,647 scholars.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!