Bartholomew AR to Big Beaver, PA
Bartholomew, t., Jefferson co., Ark. It has 1 grist m. Pop. 148.
Bartholomew, p-o., Chicot co., Ark., 116 s. e. Little Rock,
Bartlett, t., Jefferson co., Pa., has 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$10,200. Pop. 259.
Bartlett, p-t., Coos co., N. H., 80 n. n. e. Concord, 566 W. It
lies at the foot of the White mountains, on the E. side. The
soil is various, some of it rough; and on the Saco r., which
flows through it, is some good land. Incorporated in 1790. It
contains 1 store, cap. $4,000; 3 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $6,500. 4 sch. 258 scholars. Pop. 706.
Bartlett, p-o., Wesley t., Washington co., O., 90 e. Columbus,
Barton, p-t., Orleans co., Vt., 42 n. e. Montpelier, 558 W. It
is watered by Barton r. and its ranches, issuing from several
ponds, and affording a good water power. The soil is good.
Organized in 1798. Barton r. runs n. into Lake Memphremagog. It
has 2 stores, cap. $5,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woollen fac, 1
tannery, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,900. 6 sch.
135 scholars. Pop. 892.
Barton, p-t., Tioga co., N. Y., 174 s. w. Albany, 269 W. Surface
hilly, and soil sterile, except in the valleys. It has the
Susquehanna r. on the s. e., and the Chemung r. on the s. w.,
which unite a few miles below, in Pa. Cayuga cr. runs on its w.
boundary. The village has 1 Methodist church, 3 stores, and 15
or 20 dwellings. In the t. are 7 stores, cap. $28,700; 1 fulling
m., 1 woollen fac, 1 tannery, 4 grist m., 28 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $22,823. 847 scholars in sch. Pop. 2,324.
Barton's, p-o., Lauderdale co., Ala., 150 n. by w. Tuscaloosa,
Barton's Creek, p-o., Dickson co., Tenn.
Bartonsville, p-o., Monroe co., Pa., 121 n. E. Harrisburg, 214
Bascobel, p-v., Jackson co., Ga., 83 n. by w. Milledgeville, 618
Bason Harbor, p-v., Ferrisburg t., Addison co., Vt., is an
important port on the E. side of Lake Charaplain, through which
a considerable amount of the exports and imports of this region
Baskingridge, p-v., Somerset co., N. J., 46 N. by E. Trenton,
216 W. Beautifully situated in a high, rich, well cultivated and
healthy country. It has a Presbyterian church, and an academy,
formerly very celebrated. It was memorable in the revolutionary
war for the capture of Gen. Lee, by the British.
Bass River Hotel, p-o., Little Egg Harbor t., Burlington co., N.
J., 63 s. e. Trenton, 187 W.
Bassville, p-o., Madison co., Miss., 11 n. Jackson, 999 W.
Batavia, t., and p-v., capital of Genesee co., N. Y. The surface
of the t. is level, and the soil sandy and calcareous loam, of a
good quality. The Tonawanda cr. flows through the t. It has 2
for. com. houses, cap. $12,000, 20 ret. stores, cap. $114,900; 1
woollen fac, 1 furnace, 1 tannery, 1 brewery, 2 flouring m., 3
grist m., 2 saw m, 2 printing" offices, 2 weekly newspapers.
Cap. in manufac. $70,875. 3acad. 146 students, 22 sch. 819
scholars. Pop. 4,219. The p-v. is 249 w. Albany, 374 W. It
contains a court house, jail, county clerk's office, state
arsenal, and general land office of the Holland Land Company. It
has 5 churches— 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 2 Baptist, and 1
Methodist — a flourishing female seminary, 2 banking houses, 30
stores, shops, and groceries, 1 flouring m., 2 furnaces, 1
tannery, and 3 printing offices. The Tonawanda railroad extends
32 ms. from Rochester, to this place, making a part of the great
western chain from Albany. Incorporated 1823, and has 300
houses. Pop. 2,000.
Batavia, p-v., Batavia t., Clermont co., O., 103 s. w. Columbus,
474 W. Capital of the county, situated on the n. bank of the e.
fork of Little Miami r. In the t. there are 7 stores, cap.
$19,500; 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 5 saw m., 2 printing offices, 2
weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $12,105. 4 sch. 187
scholars. Pop. 2,187.
Batavia, t., Geauga co., O. Drained by branches of Cuyahoga and
Grand rs. It has 1 store, cap. $4,000; 1 grist m., 2 saw m. 4
sch. 130 scholars. Pop. 771.
Batavia, p-o., Kane co., Ill., 184 n. Springfield, 755 W.
Batavia, p-t., Branch co., Mich., 117 s. w. Detroit, 565 W. It
has 1 saw m., 2 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 400.
Batavia Kill, p-o., Westchester co., N. Y., 77 s. Albany, 350 W.
Bateman's Store, p-o., Houston co., Ga., 49 s. s. w.
Milledgeville, 705 W.
Bates, County, Mo., on the s. w. border of the
state, contains 1,160 sq. ms. Drained by Osage r. and branches.
Surface undulating, principally prairie. Capital, Batesville.
Organized since 1840.
Batesville, p-v., Guernsey co., O., 111 e. Columbus, 314 W.
Batesville, p-v., temporary capital Bates co., Mo., (formerly
Harmony Missionary Station) on the n. bank of Osage r.
Batesville, p-o., Habersham co., Ga., 163 n. by w.
Milledgeville, 603 W.
Batesville, p-v., and capital of Independence co., Ark., 90 n.
n. e. Little Rock, 1,036 W. It contains a court house, a U. S.
land office, several stores and dwellings.
Bath, p-t., seaport, Lincoln co., Me., 37 s. Augusta, 577 W.
Situated on the w. bank of Kennebec r., twelve miles from the
ocean. Pop. 1810, 2,491; 1820, 3,026; 1830, 3,773; 1840, 5,141.
Incorporated in 1780. It is pleasantly situated, and has great
advantages for navigation, as the river is here seldom frozen
over. It is one of the principal commercial towns in Maine. Ship
building is an extensive business here. The tonnage of this port
in 1840, amounted to 61,035. It contains 2 banks, 3 churches — 2
Congregationalist and 1 Baptist. Steamboats regularly ply
between this place and Portland and Boston, three fourths of the
year. It contains 75 stores, cap. $223,300; 2 furnaces, 2
tanneries, 4 grist m., 15 saw m., (value of ships built
$220,000,) 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in
manufac. $247,500. 5 acad. 170 students, 20 sch. 1,010 scholars.
Bath, p-t., Grafton co., N. H., 83 n. w. Concord, 528 W.
Situated on the e. bank of Connecticut r. Incorporated in 1761.
The Ammonoosuck r. passes through the t., and affords an
extensive water power, and has a bridge over it at the v. 350
feet long. The soil on the hills is a reddish loam, on a bed of
marl; on the rivers, it is alluvial and rich. It has 5 stores,
cap. $24,000; 3 tanneries, 2 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$17,810. 500 scholars in sch. Pop. 1,595.
Bath, p-t., and capital Steuben co., N.
Y.,219 w. s. w. Albany, 299 W. The surface is hilly and broken,
but the soil good. Watered by Conhocton r. The v. is situated on
the n. e. side of Conhocton r., 216 w. Albany. Incorporated in
1836. It has a court house, jail, county clerk's office, 1 bank,
5 churches, 2 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Methodist, and 1
African, a female seminary, and 200 dwellings. Pop. 1,400. There
are in the t., 15 stores, cap. $43,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woollen
fac, 6 tanneries, 2 flouring m., 4 grist m., 22 saw m., 1 oil
m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
$96,785. 26 sch. 1,112 scholars. Pop. 4,915.
Bath, v., Greenbush t., on the e. side of Hudson r., opposite
the n. part of the city of Albany. It has a sulphur mineral
spring, of some celebrity. It contains 1 store, 20 dwellings,
and 125 inhabitants. A ferry connects it with Albany.
Bath, p-v., Northampton co., Pa., 100 n. e. Harrisburg, 193 W.
It contains 2 stores, 2 grist m., 1 tannery, and 120
Bath, p-t., Summit co., O., 129 n. e. Columbus, 342 W. It has 10
sch. 266 scholars. Pop. 1,425.
Bath, a central county of Va. It is watered by the head branches
of James, Cowpasture, and Jackson's rivers, has an elevated
situation, and contains 756 sq. ms. The surface is rough, and
the soil moderately fertile. Capital, Bath. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 8,707, sheep 10,598, swine 8,099; wheat 32,954 bush,
produced, rye 26,689, Ind. corn 117,817, buckwheat 4,486, oats
78,668, potatoes 32,498, sugar 39,137 pounds; 8 stores, cap.
$32,300; 3 tanneries, 1 distillery, 8 flouring m., 31 grist m.,
37 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $39,470. 9 sch. 196 scholars. Pop.
1830, 4,008 : 1840, whites 3,170, slaves 347, free col'd 83;
Bath, C. H., p-v., Bath co., Va., 164 w. N. w. Richmond, 201 W.
Here is a medicinal spring, called Warm Spring, with a
temperature of 96°, and another about 6 ms. s. w., called Hot
Spring, with a temperature of 112°, and at some seasons
sufficiently hot to boil an egg. They are useful in rheumatic
and other complaints.
Bath, county, n. e. part of Ky., containing 256 sq. ms. It lies
n. e. on Licking r. Capital, Owingsville. Pop. whites 7,708,
slaves 1,951, free col'd 104; total, 9,763.
Bath, p-v., Beaufort co., N. C, 143 e. by s. Raleigh, 329 W.
Bath, p-v., Cass co., Ill., 48 w. by n. Springfield, 828 W.
Bath, t., Allen co., O. 4 sch. 91 scholars. Pop. 1,382.
Bath, t., Greene co., O. Watered by Mad r. It has 9 stores, cap.
$11,350; 3 distilleries, 1 brewery, 5 flouring m., 3 grist m., 5
saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $39,600. Pop. 1,721.
Bath, v., Richmond co., Ga., 15 s. w. Augusta, on the s. side of
Spirit cr. It contains 1 Presbyterian church, 1 acad. and about
15 houses. The situation is elevated and healthy, and it is
resorted to in the sickly season. The soil is sandy and the
Bath, County, Ky., toward the n. e. part of the
state, contains 256 sq. ms. Licking r. runs on its N. e. border.
Capital, Owingsville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,440,
sheep 17,237, swine 30,674; wheat 71,122 bush, produced, rye
22,624, Ind. corn 1,029,797, oats 79,942, potatoes 11,781,
tobacco 20,223 pounds, sugar 68,430; 11 stores, cap. $38,400; 2
furnaces, 1 forge, 4 tanneries, 6 distilleries, 1 flouring m.,
10 grist m., 7 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $34,090. 22
sch. 562 scholars. Pop. 1830, 8,799; 1840, whites 7,708, slaves
1,951, free col'd 104; total, 9,763.
Bathes, (Jefferson,) v., Jefferson co., Ga.,near Reedy cr.,
contains about 20 houses.
Baton Rouge, Chester dist., S. C, 67 n. Columbia, 462 W.
Baton Rouge, East, parish, In., on the E. bank of the
Mississippi r. It is the first land elevated above the overflow,
in ascending the Mississippi. The productions are cotton, and
Indian corn, and some sugar. Capital, Baton Rouge. There were in
1810, neat cattle 9,947, sheep 3,690, swine 20,659; Ind. corn
180,291 bush, produced, potatoes 23,371, rice 14,550 pounds,
tobacco 4,016,183, sugar 2,466,000; 34 stores, cap. $243,550; 3
grist m., 2 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap.
in manufac. $31 ,400. 1 college 70 students, 5 acad. 196
students, 7 sch. 168 scholars. Pop. 1830, 6,698; 1810, whites
3,750, slaves 4,206, free col'd 182; total, 8,138.
Baton Rouge, p-v., capital of East Baton Rouge parish, La., on
the e. bank of the Mississippi, 30 above Donaldsonville, 120
above N. Orleans, 150 below Natchez. It is situated on a bluff,
or high land, extending to the Mississippi, mostly along one
street, at the foot of the hill, about 25 feet above high water
mark, which is a considerable elevation for this region. It has
a court house, jail, penitentiary, 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 1 Roman Catholic, 1 college, 70
students, 3 acad. 166 students, 3 sch. 198 scholars, 3 banks, 27
stores, 1 printing office, and 500 dwellings. Population, 2,269.
Baton Rouge, West, parish of La., lies opposite E. Baton Rouge,
on the w. side of the Mississippi r. The surface is almost an
entire level. The land on the streams, however, is a little
elevated above the rest, and is the part, chiefly, which is
capable of cultivation, and is very productive. Cotton is
principally cultivated. The remainder is subject to be
overflowed. There were in 1840, neat cattle 2,513, sheep 1,773,
swine 2,835; Ind. corn 122,971 bush, produced, potatoes 4,149,
cotton 3,180,875 pounds, sugar 1,947,400; 5 stores, cap.
$18,300; 2 lumber yards, cap. $15,000; 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $9,650. 2 acad. 51 students, 4 sch. 42 scholars.
Pop. 1830, 3,084; 1840, whites 1,371, slaves 4,638, free col'd
120; total, 4,638.
Batson's, p-o., Humphreys co., Tenn., 48 w. Nashville, 732 W.
Battahatchee, r., rises in Alabama, and after a course of 70 ms.,
enters the Tombigbee, in Monroe co., Miss.
Batten Kill, a small r., rises in Vt., and, after a course of 50
ms., enters the Hudson in Washington co., N. Y., H ms. below
Fort Miller bridge. It furnishes some good mill seats.
Battenville, p-v., Greenwich t., Washington co., N. Y., 38 n. by
e. Albany, 408 W. It has 1 Dutch Reformed church, 2 stores, 1
cotton fac, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., and 50 dwellings. Pop. 350.
Battleboro, p-v., Edgecombe co., N. C, 66 E. by n. Raleigh, 232
Battle Creek, p-v., Battle Creek t., Calhoun co., Mich., 12 n.
w. Marshall, 117 W.Detroit, 582 W. Situated at the junction of
Battle cr. and Kalamazoo r. There are in the t. 7 stores, cap.
$22,000; 1 furnace, 1 distillery, 2 flouring m., 3 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $15,200. 1 acad. 20 students, 5 sch. 180 scholars.
Pop. 993. Battle Creek, the most considerable branch of
Kalamazoo r. It has a winding course of 40 ms., and furnishes
good mill seats.
Battle Creek, p-o., Marion co., Tenn., 110 s. e. Nashville, 638
Battle Ground, p-o., Tippecanoe co., In., 77 N. w. Indianapolis,
Bavington, p o., Washington co., Pa., 223 w. Harrisburg, 248 W.
Baughman, t, Wayne co., O. Drained by Newman's cr. It has 2
stores, cap. $4,500; 1 tannery, 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$1,250. 4 sch. 152 scholars. Pop. 1,741.
Baumstown, p-v., Berks co., Pa., 60 e. by n. Harrisburg, 153 W.
Bay, t., Ottawa co., O., on the w. side of Sandusky r., on Mud
cr. bay. It has 1 sch. 26 scholars. Pop. 231.
Bayard, p-o., Shelby co., Ky., 31 w. Frankfort, 573 W.
Bayou Chicot, p-v., Calcasieu parish, La., 250 w. N. w. N.
Orleans, 1,251 W.
Bayou Gould, p-v., Ibberville parish, La.
Bayou Rouge Prairie, p-o., Avoyelles parish, In., w. by n. N.
Bazetta, p-t., Trumbull co., O., 5 e. Warren, 174 n. e.
Columbus, 308 W. It is a fine farming t., well cultivated.
Beach Branch, p-o., Beaufort dist., S.C., 113 s. Columbia, 619
Beach Grove, p-o., Salem t,, Luzerne co., Pa., 104 n. n. e.
Harrisburg, 208 W. Situated on the Susquehanna r.
Beallsville, p-v., Washington co., Pa., 200 w. Harrisburg, 216
W. It contains 5 stores, and 50 or 60 dwellings.
Bealsville, p-v., Sunbury t, Monroe co., O., 127 e. s. e,
Columbus, 293 W. Situated on an elevated spot, in the midst of
an improved country. It has 1 church, 2 stores, and about 20
dwellings. Pop. about 100.
Beamsville, p-o., Dark co., O., 98 w. Columbus, 490 W.
Bean's Station, p-o., Grainger co., Tenn., 225 E. by n.
Nashville, 457 W.
Bear's, or Tiffin's cr., 54 ms. long, in a direct line, enters
the Maumee 11 ms. above the Auglaize.
Bear Branch, p-o., Dublin co., N. C.
Bear Creek, p-o., Yancey co., N. C., 239 w. by n. Raleigh, 465
Bear Creek, one of the branches of Tennessee r., rises in
Alabama, and enters the Tennessee r., after a course of 70 ms.
between the states of Alabama and Mississippi.
Bear Creek, t., Columbia co., Pa. It has 6 stores, cap. $37,000;
1 furnace, 2 fulling ms., 2 tanneries, 1 pottery, 1 flouring m.,
5 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly
newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $14,515. 1 acad. 35 students, 7 sch.
184 scholars. Pop. 1,905.
Bear Creek, p-o., Jay co., In., 106 n. e. Indianapolis, 529 W.
Bear Creek, t., Montgomery co., Mo. Pop. 445.
Bear Creek, p-o., Hamilton co., Ill., 166 s. by E. Springfield,
Beardstown, p-o., Perry co., Tenn., 79 s. w. Nashville, 763 W:
Beardstown, p-v., Cass co., Ill., on the E. side of Illinois r.,
48 w. by n. Springfield, 826 W. It has 13 stores, a Methodist
and an Episcopal church, 2 sch. 73 scholars. Pop. 336.
Bearfield, t., Perry co., O. It has 1 store, cap. $500; 3 saw
m., 9 sch. 253 scholars. Pop. 1,455. F
Bear Gap, p-o., Northumberland co., Pa., 76 N. Harrisburg, 186
Bear Town, p-o., Lancaster co., Pa., 51 s. e. Harrisburg, 129 W.
Beatie's Bluff, p-o., Madison co., Miss., 35 n. by e. Jackson,
Beattie's Ford, p-o., Lincoln co., N. C, 154 w. by s. Raleigh,
Beattie's Prairie, p-o., Benton co., Ark.
Beattystown, p-v., Mansfield t., Warren co., N. J., 58 n.
Trenton, 219 W. Situated on Musconetcong cr., at the w. foot of
Schooley's mountain, 2 ms. from the mineral spring. It has 1
store, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., and 20 dwellings. The land around
it is excellent.
Beaucoup, p-v., Washington co., Ill., 126 s. Springfield, 801 W.
Beaufort, County, N. C. Situated in the e. part
of the state, on Pamlico r. and sound. It has an area of 670 sq.
ms. The surface is low, and at times extensively overflowed.
Cotton and rice are the principal productions. Capital,
Washington. There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,191, sheep 4,957,
swine 24,717; wheat 6,333 bush, produced, rye 1,195, Ind. corn
153,522, oats 5,055, potatoes 90,225, rice 20,952 lbs., cotton
87,180, tar, pitch, &c, 106,987 bbls.; 48 stores, cap. $16,800;
1 tannery, 11 distilleries, 24 grist m., 18 saw m., 2 printing
offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $162,650. 2 sch.
45 scholars. Pop. 1830, 10,949; 1840, whites 7,050, slaves
4,472, free col'd 703; total, 12,225.
Beaufort, district, S. C, in the s. extremity of the state. It
has an area of 1,830 sq. ms. The surface is level. It is watered
on the n. e. by the Combahee r., and on the s. w. by the
Savannah, and the Coosawhatchie and other streams pass through
it. The mouths of the rivers, and the inlets of the ocean,
enclose a number of islands of considerable size on its coast,
the principal of which are Hilton Head, St. Helena, and Port
Royal. Capital, Coosawhatchie. There were in 1840, neat cattle
41,710, sheep 13,751, swine 28,521; wheat 5,810 bush, produced,
rye 3,561, Ind. corn 786,570, oats 40,665, potatoes 486,753,
rice 5,629,462 pounds, cotton 1,544,850; 1,000 bush, salt
produced; 35 stores, cap. $168,000; 1 lumber yard, cap. $1,000;
13 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $44,500. 5 acad. 172
students, 22 sch. 503 scholars. Pop. 1830, 37,032; 1840, whites
5,650, slaves 29,682, free col'd 462; total, 35,794.
Beaufort, p-t., port of entry and capital, Carteret co., N. C.,
11 n. w. Cape Lookout, 168 s. e. Raleigh, 396 W. It has a safe
and spacious harbor, admitting vessels requiring 14 feet water,
and is a place of considerable commerce. It has 1 Methodist
church, 1 male and female seminary, a court house, jail, masonic
hall, 11 stores, 120 dwellings, and 1,100 inhabitants. The
tonnage of the port in 1840, was 1,974. On Bogue Point, at the
entrance of the harbor of Beaufort, stands Fort Macon.
Beaufort, p-t., and port of entry, Beaufort district, S.
Carolina, 50 n. e. Savannah, 75 s. w. Charleston, 146 s.
Columbia, 635 W. Situated on the w. bank of Port Royal r., a
narrow branch of the ocean. The harbor is spacious, 16 ms. from
the sea, but a bar prevents the entrance of vessels drawing more
than 11 feet of water. It is unhealthy during the autumn. Its
commerce is not extensive.
Beaumont, p-o., Luzerne co., Pa.
Beaumont, p-o., Dane co., Wis., 25 Madison, 872 W.
Beauvais, p-o., St. Genevieve co., Mo.
Beaver, Big, a r. of Pa., is formed by 2 main branches, the
Mahoning, which rises in Ohio, and the Shenango, in Pa. It
enters the Ohio r. near the town of Beaver, Pa. The main r. has
a course of about 20 ms., and to its sources, of about 80 ms.
The Pennsylvania and Ohio canal, which connects the Ohio r. at
Beaver, with the Ohio canal at Akron, passes along the valley of
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!