Beaver County, PA to Belleview AL
Beaver, County, Pa., in the w. part of the
state, contains an area of 648 sq. ms. The surface is uneven,
but the soil is fertile. Watered by the Ohio and Beaver rs.
Capital, Beaver. There were in 1840, neat cattle 21,028, sheep
74,176, swine 33,355; wheat 326,663 bush, produced, rye 53,141,
Ind. com 233,735, buckwheat 75,336, oats 515,985, potatoes
203,137, sugar 35,718 pounds, 436,915 bush, bituminous coal; 90
stores, cap. $201,870; 4 furnaces, 8 fulling m., 8 woollen fac,
2 cotton fac. 2,800 sp., 30 tanneries, 13 distilleries, 4
breweries, 5 potteries, 12 flouring ms., 60 grist m., 73 saw m.,
3 oil m., 2 paper fac, 3 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers,
1 periodical. Cap. in manufac. $724,958. 5 acad. 154 students,
110 sch. 3,998 scholars. Pop. 1830, 24,206; 1840, 29,368.
Beaver, t., Crawford co., Pa., has 2 grist m., 3 saw m., 2 sch.
40 scholars. Pop. 734.
Beaver, p-b., capital of Beaver co., Pa., on the n. bank of Ohio
r., at the mouth of Big Beaver r., 30 ms. below Pittsburg, by
the course of the r., 227 n. by w. Harrisburg, 253 W. It is
situated on a plain 3 ms. in length by 1 in breadth, and
contains, around a public square, a court house, jail, 1
Presbyterian and 1 Methodist church, 1 acad. 28 students, 1 sch.
90 scholars. Pop. 551.
Beaver, t., Venango co., Pa., has 2 stores, cap. $7,000; 3
furnaces, 3 tanneries, 5 grist m., 9 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in
manufac. $16,300. 1 sch. 15 scholars. Pop. 1,611.
Beaver, t., Beaver co., Pa., has 22 stores, cap. $60,950; 2
furnaces, 3 tanneries, 2 breweries, 2 potteries, 1 grist m., 2
saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac.
$50,761. 1 sch. 90 scholars. Pop. 445.
Beaver, p-t., Pike co., O., 73 s. Columbus, 389 W. It is
somewhat broken and hilly, but contains good farms. It has 2
stores, cap. $1,260; 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 6 sch. 108 scholars.
Beaver, t., Union co., Pa., has 5 stores, cap. $14,000; 2
fulling m., 3 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 2 potteries, 6 grist
m., 13 saw m. Pop. 2,609. Beaver, t., Columbiana co., O. It is a
rich agricultural t., situated on the s. line of the co. 5 sch.
103 scholars. Pop. 1,973.
Beaver, t., Guernsey co., O. It is a wealthy township. Pop.
Beaver, t., Boone co., Ill., has 3 sch. 37 scholars. Pop. 236.
Beaver Brook, p-o., Sullivan co., N. Y., 132 s. s. w. Albany,
Beaver Creek, t., Green co., O., on the Little Miami. 2 stores,
cap. $3,000; 1 woollen fac, 2 distilleries, 3 flouring m., 4 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $37,400. Pop. 1,767.
Beaver Creek, p-o., Washington co., Md., 103 n. w. Annapolis, 71
Beaver Creek, p-o., Henry co., O., 139 n. w. Columbus, 484 W.
Beaver Creek, p-o., Surry co., N. C, 155 w. N. w.Raleigh, 343 W.
Beaver Creek, p-o., Anderson co., Ky., 27 s. w. Frankfort, 569
Beaver Creek, p-o., Bond co., Ill., 84 s. Springfield, 768 W.
Beaver Dam. p-o., Ann Arundel co., Md., 18 Annapolis, 35 W.
Beaver Dam, p-o., Goochland co., Va., 24 w Richmond, 136 W.
Beaver Dam, p-o., Anson co., N.C., 161 s. w. Raleigh, 430 W.
Beaver Dam, t, Erie co., Pa., has 7 saw m Cap. in manufac.
$2,700. 10 sch. 400 scholars. Pop. 1,081.
Beaver Dam, p-o., Union dist, S. C, 58 N. N. w. Columbia, 476 W.
Beaver Dam, p-o., Randolph co., Ala., 172 e. Tuscaloosa, 770 W.
Beaver Dam Depot, p-o., Hanover co., Va., 36 n. Richmond, 105 W.
Beaver Dam Forks, p-o. t Tipton co., Tenn., 176 w. s. w.
Nashville, 879 W.
Beaver Islands, a group of 5 or 6 in number, in Lake Michigan.
The largest, Big Beaver, contains 40 sq. ms.
Beaver Kill, p-o., Rockland t., Sullivan co., N. Y., 97 s. s. w.
Albany, 326 W.
Beaver Meadow, p-o., Lausanne t., Northampton co., Pa., 102 n.
E. Harrisburg, 210 W. This place furnishes excellent anthracite
Beaver Ridge, p-o., Knox co., Tenn., 176 e. by s. Nashville, 521
Beaver Town, p-v., Union co., Pa., 83 n. by w. Harrisburg, 174
Beaver Valley, p-o., Columbia co., Pa., 92 N. by E. Harrisburg,
Beccaria, t., Clearfield co., Pa. Pop. 309.
Beckarnsville, p-o., Chester dist., S. C, 52 n. by w. Columbia,
Becket, p-t., Berkshire co., Ms., 118 w. Boston, 377 W. It is on
high land, in the Green mountain range, suited to grazing.
Incorporated, 1765. Several ponds in the t. have outlets, which
flow into the Housatonic, Westfield, and Farmington rs. It has 3
stores, cap. $6,000; 1 fulling m., 2 grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in
manufactures $1,712. 9 sch. 335 scholars. Pop. 1,3-12.
Beckley, p-o., Fayette co., Va., 288 w. by n. Richmond, 325 W.
Beddington, t., Washington co., Me., has 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. 2,445. Lumber produced, $8,177. 2 sch. 40 scholars.
Beddington, p-o., Berkley co., Va., 175 n. by w. Richmond, 83 W.
Bedford, county, Pa., in the s. part of the state, contains
1,612 sq. ms. It is a mountainous region, with fertile valleys.
Watered by the branches of the Juniata and Potomac rs. It
exports grain, live stock, and salted provisions. It also yields
iron, and bituminous coal. Capital, Bedford. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 53,213, sheep 82,055, swine 95,716; wheat 347,704
bush, produced, rye 295,051, Ind. corn 329,956, buckwheat
52,851, oats 591,371, potatoes 284,222; 40 stores, cap.
$120,900; 9 furnaces, 11 fulling m., 1 woollen fac, 22
tanneries, 9 distilleries, 1 powder in., 12 potteries, 19
flouring m., 12 grist m., 43 saw m., 2 printing offices. Cap. in
manufac. $192,039. 3 acad. 99 students, 40 sch. 1,320 scholars.
Pop. 1820, 20,248; 1830, 25,536; 1840, 29,335.
Bedford, county, Va., in the s. part of the state, contains 600
sq. ms. It occupies a high position on the e. of the Alleghany
mountain range, having the peaks of Otter on the n. w. and James
r. on the n. e. It is drained by Staunton river, Goose cr. and
Otter cr., head branches of Roanoke r. The soil is very fertile,
producing tobacco, Ind. corn, oats, &c, abundantly. Capital,
Liberty. There were in 1840, neat cattle 16,200, sheep 14,793,
swine 30,520; wheat 206,064 bush, produced, rye 7,358, Ind. corn
536,832, oats 285, 172, potatoes 22,364, hemp and flax 498 tons,
tobacco 3,442,433 pounds, cotton 3,498; 9 stores, cap. $69,800;
6 tanneries, 13 distilleries, 4 flouring m., 20 grist m., 24 saw
m. Cap in manufac. $10,550. 1 academy, 30 students, 8 schools,
167 scholars. Pop. 1830, 20,253; 1840, whites 11,016, slaves
8,864, free col'd 323; total, 20,203.
Bedford, county, Tenn., in the central part of (con't)
the state, contains 600 sq. ms. Drained by Duck r. and branches.
Surface undulating, soil fertile. Capital, Shelbyville. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 18,920, sheep 20,953, swine 84,685;
wheat 94 631 bush, produced, rye 5,754, Ind. corn 1,248,965,
oats 153,513, potatoes 9,837, tobacco 171,339 pounds, cotton
174,733; 24 stores, cap. $184,550; 10 tanneries, 64
distilleries, 2 rope fac, 7 flouring m., 25 grist m., 20 saw m.,
2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
$87,865. 4 acad. 215 students, 34 sch. 1,398 scholars. Pop.
1830, 30,396; 1840, whites 16,192, slaves 4,295, free col'd 59;
Bedford, p-t., Hillsboro co., N. H., 21 s. by e. Concord, 460 W.
Watered by the Merrimac and Piscataquoag rs. Incorporated, 1750.
The t. has some rich land on its streams. Its mineral
productions are very various, and some iron ore is found. A
considerable brook falls 200 feet in 100 yds., and is a
curiosity. It has 4 stores, cap. 7,500; 2 tanneries, 5 grist m.,
9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $22,152. 13 sch. 541 scholars. Pop.
Bedford, p-t., Middlesex co., Ms., 15 n. w. Boston, 455 W.
Shawsheen r. rises here, and furnishes mill seats. Incorporated
in 1729, as a part of Concord and Billerica. It has 3 stores,
cap. $5,500; 5 forges, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$14,700. 5 sch. 297 scholars. Pop. 929. Bedford, p-v., and
capital, with White Plains, of Westchester co., N. Y., 125 s.
Albany, 270 W. In the v. are a court house, 2 churches, a female
seminary, 3 stores, and 40 dwellings. Pop. 250. In the t. are 7
stores, cap. $21,000; 2 fulling m., 7 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $27,230. 3 acad. 80 students, 17 sch. 788 scholars.
Bedford, p-t., Cuyahoga co., O., 12 s. e. Cleveland, 149 n. w.
Columbus, 347 W. Situated on Tinkers cr. The chief article of
export is lumber. It has 3 stores, cap. $7,200; 1 flouring m., 1
grist m., 6 saw m., 10 sch. 469 scholars. Pop. 1,244.
Bedford, p-t., Calhoun co., Mich., 124 w. Detroit, 589 W. On the
Kalamazoo r. It has 2 saw m., 2 sch. 44 scholars. Pop. 220.
Bedford, p-b., Bedford t., capital of Bedford co., Pa., 200 w.
Philadelphia, 103 s. w. by w. Harrisburg, 129 W. It was
organized in 1771. It stands on the site of an old fort, and has
a pleasant situation, on a rise of land, in the midst of a
mountain valley. It is celebrated for its mineral springs, which
contain carbonic acid, magnesia, sulphate of lime, muriate of
soda, carbonate of iron, lime, &c, useful in chronic dis eases,
and possess laxative and sudorific powers. They are much
resorted to, and respectable accommodations are provided for
visiters. It has 3 sch. 21 scholars. Pop. 1,022.
Bedford, t., Bedford co., Pa. Watered by Roystown branch of
Juniata r., and several crs. Bedford springs are a celebrated
watering place. It has 1 store, cap. $4,000; .1 fulling m., 1
tannery, 1 distillery, 1 pottery, 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$7,150. 1 acad. 40 students, 2 sch. 50 scholars. Pop. 1,721.
Bedford, p-v., and capital of Trimble co., Ky., 41 s. w. by w.
Frankfort, 572 W. It has a court house, academy, and Methodist
church. Pop. 148. One mile from the village is a mineral spring,
charged with Epsom salts and sulphur, and respectable
accommodations are provided for visiters, who are numerous.
Bedford, p-v., and capital of Lawrence co., In., 71 s. w.
Indianapolis, 621 W. Situated 3 ms. n. of the e. fork of White
river. It has a court house and several dwellings.
Bedford, p-o., Warren co., Ill., 103 n. w. Springfield, 860 W
Bedford, p-o., Assumption par., La., 98 w. N. Orleans, 1,270 W.
Bedford, t., Monroe co., Mich. It has 1 store, 1 grist m., 3 saw
m., 2 sch. 67 scholars. Pop. 499.
Bedford, t., Coshocton co., O., 60 n. e. Columbus. It has 2
stores, cap. $2,000; 1 saw m. Pop. 1,141.
Bedford, t., Meigs co., O. Watered by Shade r. Soil,
indifferent. 8 sch. 158 scholars. Pop. 567.
Bedminster, t., Somerset co., N. J., 8 n. w. Somerville. Surface
hilly; soil lime, clay, and red shale, well cultivated and
fertile. It has 1 Dutch Reformed church, 6 stores, cap. $21,000;
5 saw m., 6 grist m., 2 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 9 schools,
254 scholars. Pop. 1830, 1,453; 1840, 1,589.
Bedminster, t., Bucks co., Pa. It has the Tohicton cr. on the
northern boundary, and contains 3 stores, cap. $9,500; 2
tanneries, 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,500. Pop.
Beech Bluff, p-o., Marion co., Ill., 166 s. by e. Springfield,
Beech Grove, p-o., Marshall co., Ala., 127 n. e. Tuscaloosa, 711
Beech Grove, p-o., Coffee co., Tenn., 55 s. e. Nashville, 665 W.
Beech Grove, p-o., Rush co., In., 33 s. E. Indianapolis, 545 W.
Beech Hill, p-o., Livingston par., La., 87 n. w. N. Orleans,
Beech Park, p-o., Gallatin co., Ky., 44 n. Frankfort, 542 W.
Beech River, p-o., Perry co., Tenn., 103 w. s. w. Nashville, 787
Beechy Mire, p-o., Preble co., O., 107 w. by s. Columbus, 500 W.
Bee Creek Mills, p-o., Platte co., Mo.
Beekman, p-t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 14 s. e. Poughkeepsie, 87 s.
Albany, 307 W. Surface hilly; soil, rich gravelly loam. Drained
by Fishkill r. and its branches. It has 1 Presbyterian and 1
Methodist church, and 1 Friends' meeting house. Great Pond
covers 300 acres, and flows into Fishkill r. It has 6 stores,
cap. $23,000; 1 fulling m., 1 furnace, 1 tannery, 3 flouring m.,
3 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $32,600. 1 sch. 52
scholars. Pop. 1,400.
Beekman's Mills, p-o., Somerset co., N. J., 26 n. by e. Trenton,
Beekmantown, p-t., Clinton co., N. Y., 8 n. Plattsburg, 169 n.
Albany, 544 W. It extends 37 ms. across the co. Chazy and
Chateaugay lakes, from which flow streams constituting the head
waters of rivers of the same name, lie in the w. part of the t.
It has 1 store, cap. $2,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woollen fac, 1
furnace, 4 tanneries, 4 grist m., 14 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$41,350. 11 sch. 320 scholars. Pop. 2,769.
Beelersville, v., Carroll county, Ark., near Crooked cr. 5 ms.
s. are White Sulphur Springs, valued for their medicinal
Beeler's Station, p-o., Marshall co., Va., 12 Wheeling, 351 n.
w. by w. Richmond, 256 W.
Beemerville, p-o., Sussex county, N. J., 84 n. Trenton, 253 W.
Beeson's Store, p-o., Highland co., O., 69 s. w. Columbus, 442
Belair, p-v., and capital of Harford co., Md., 22 Baltimore, 53
n. by e. Annapolis, 63 W. It has a court house, jail, and
Methodist church, an academy and a female seminary, and 150
Belair, p-v., Lancaster dist., S. C, 90 n. by e. Columbia, 416
Belair, p-o., Richmond co., Ga., 85 e. by n. Milledgeville, 586
Belchertown, p-t., Hampshire co., Mass., 11 E. Northampton, 78
w. Boston, 382 W. Incorporated 1761. It has a good soil, and is
well cultivated. The v. contains 3 churches — 2 Congregational,
and 1 Baptist — 40 dwellings, and several stores. There are in
the t. 5 stores, cap. $11,000; 5 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $36,700. 1 acad. 41 students, 17 sch. 763 scholars.
Belew's Creek, p-o., Stokes co., N. C, 102 N. w. Raleigh, 305 W.
Belfast, p-t., seaport, port of entry, and capital of Waldo co.,
Me., 43 e. Augusta, 637 W. It is beautifully situated at the
head of Belfast Bay, on the w. side of Penobscot river, 30 miles
from the ocean. Incorporated in 1773. A small river passes near
the centre of the town, over which is an extensive bridge. It
has a spacious and safe harbor, rarely obstructed by ice, and
sufficiently deep for vessels of the largest class. It is
extensively engaged in foreign and coasting trade, in the
fisheries and in ship building. Its principal exports are lumber
and fish. Its tonnage in 1840, was 38,218. As the river above it
freezes, Belfast forms the principal mart of the winter trade of
Penobscot r. It has 42 stores, cap. $110,000; 2 fulling m., 4
tanneries, 2 grist m., 5 saw m., 1 printing office, and 1 weekly
newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $32,300. 1 academy, 40 students, 21
schools, 1,217 scholars. Pop. 1810, 1,259; 1820,2,026;
Belfast, t., Bedford co., Pa. It has 2 stores, cap. $S00; 1
tannery, 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,915. Pop. 720.
Belfast, p-t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 268 w. Albany, 341 W. The
surface is rolling; soil, sandy loam. Watered by Genesee river
and its tributaries. The Genesee Valley canal here leaves the
river, and passes in a s. w. direction up the valley of Black
cr. It has 6 stores, cap. $6,450; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1
ropewalk, 2 grist m., 13 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $14,850. 2 sch.
144 scholars. Pop. 1,646.
Belfast, p-o., Northampton co., Pa., 112 n. e. Harrisburg, 205
Belfast, p-o., Clermont co., O., 105 e. Columbus, 476 W.
Belfast, p-o., Marshall co., Tenn., 61 s. Nashville, 703 W.
Belford, p-v., Nashville county, N. C, 51 e. Raleigh, 247 W.
Belfort, p-o., Crogan t., Lewis co., N. Y., 150 N. w. Albany,
Belgrade, p-t., Kennebec county, Me., 11 N. Augusta, 606 W. On
the borders of this t. are 3 large and beautiful ponds or lakes,
connected together, the outlet of which enters the Kennebec at
Waterville. Incorporated 17%. It has 4 stores, cap. $6,000; 1
tannery, 3 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,000. 1 acad.
20 students, 19 sch. 845 scholars. Pop. 1,748.
Belgrade Mills, p-v., Kennebec co., Me., 17 n. Augusta, 610 W.,
is a flourishing village in Belgrade t.
Belham, p-o., Goochland co., Va., 35 w. by n. Richmond, 125 W.
Belknap, county, N. H., in the s. E. part of the state, contains
8 townships., It has Winnipisseogee Lake, on its n. e. border,
and Squam Lake on its n. boundary. Pemigewasset river runs on
its w. boundary. Capital, Ossipee. Organized since the census of
1840. (Taken from Strafford county.)
Bell, t., Clearfield co., Pa. Pop. 301.
Bell Air, p-o., Belmont co., Ohio.
Bell Air, depot, 10 w. Augusta, on the Georgia railroad.
Bell Brook, p-o., Greene co., O. 70 s. w. Columbus, 463
Bellefontaine, p-v., Lake t., and capital of Logan co., O., 18
n. Urbanna, 69 n. w. Columbus, 456 W. Incorporated in 1890. It
has a court house, jail, 2 brick churches, 1 Presbyterian and 1
Methodist; 5 stores, 3 tanneries, 1 pottery, 1 printing office,
which issues a weekly newspaper, and over 50 dwellings.
Bellefontaine, v., St. Louis county, Mo., on the s. bank of
Missouri r., near its junction with the Mississippi.
Bellefontaine, p-o., Choctaw county, Miss., 120 n. n. e.
Jackson, 935 W.
Bellefonte, p-b., and capital of Centre co., Pa., 85 n. w.
Harrisburg, 117 W. Situated on Spring cr., a branch of Bald
Eagle r. It is the centre of an extensive iron trade. Bald Eagle
and Spring Creek canal connects it with West Branch canal. It
contains 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, 1 Roman
Catholic, 1 Moravian, an academy, and 130 dwellings; 8 stores,
cap. $29,250; 1 fulling m., 1 woollen fac., 2 tanneries, 1
weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $16,900. 1 acad. 25 students,
4 sch. 120 scholars. Pop. 1830, 698; 1840, 1,032.
Bellefonte, p-v., capital of Jackson co., Ala., 166 n. e.
Tuscaloosa, 667 W. On Paint Rock r. 2 ms. w. of Tennessee r. It
has 2 churches, 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist, 2 academies, 12
stores, 50 dwellings, and 400 inhabitants.
Bellefonte, p-o., Pulaski co., Mo., 81 s. Jefferson city, 996 W.
Bellehaven, p-o., Accomack co., Va., 175 e. by n. Richmond, 215
Belle Isle, p-v., Camillus t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 137 w. by n.
Albany, 354 W. It has 1 store and about 20 dwellings.
Bellemonte, p-v., Fayette co., Tenn., 195 s. w. Nashville, 884
W. It has 1 store and about 75 inhabitants.
Bellepoint, p-o., Delaware co., O., 32 n. Columbus, 416 W.
Bellerica, t., Washington co., Mo. Pop. 1,227.
Belle River, p-o., St. Clair co., Mick, 55 n. by e. Detroit, 579
Belle, r., a small river of Lapeer and St. Clair cos., Mich.,
after a course of over 50 miles, enters St. Clair r. Navigable
for batteaux, a short distance from its mouth.
Bellevernon, p-o., Fayette co., Pa., 197 w. s. w. Harrisburg,
Belleview, p-o., Talbot co., Ga., 97 w. s. w. Milledgeville, 719
Belleview, p-o., Christian co., Ky., 214 s. w. Frankfort, 741 W.
Belleview, p-v., Calhoun co., Ill., 85 s. w. Springfield, 859 W.
Situated on a beautiful prairie, 6 miles long, and three fourths
of a mile wide. It contains 1 sen. 21 scholars. Pop. 173.
Belleview, t., Washington co., Mo. Pop. 1,227.
Belleview, p-o., Lauderdale co., Ala., 124 n. Tuscaloosa, 763 W.
Belleville, p-v., Ellisburgh t., Jefferson co., N. Y., 173
Albany, 403 W. It has a church, an academy, 4 stores, 1 grist
m., 2 saw m., 1 clothier's works, and 50 dwellings. Pop. about
300. Belleville, p-v., Belleville t., Essex co., N. J., 31 n. E.
Newark, 69 n. e. Trenton, 234 W. It is beautifully situated on
the w. side of Passaic r. It extends 3 ms. along the river, and
has 1 Dutch Reformed, 1 Methodist, and 1 Episcopal church, a
boarding school and 200 dwellings. It has fine mill streams, and
various mills and manufactories. The t. has 12 stores, cap.
$22,250; 4 fulling m., 2 woollen fac, 1 cotton fee, 1,000 sp., 1
dyeing and printing estab., 1 paper fee, 2 flouring ms., 1 grist
m. Cap. in manufac. $179,450. 7 schools, 316 scholars. Pop.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!