Belleville PA to Berks, County, PA
Belleville, p-o., Mifflin co., Pa., 70 n w. Harrisburg,162W.
Belleville, p-o., Wood county, Va., 301 N. w. Richmond, 319 W.
Belleville, p-v., Richland co., O., 68 n. n. e. Columbus, 387 W.
Belleville, p-o., Hendricks co., In., 20 w. Indianapolis, 591 W.
Belleville, p-v., capital of St. Clair co., Ill., 13 e. s. e.
St. Louis, 100 s. by w. Springfield, 809 W. It is a neat
flourishing village, on high ground. It has a handsome brick
court house, brick jail, a clerk's office, a hall of a library
company, 3 churches— 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist,
and two select schools. It has 2 large steam flouring mills, and
numerous manufacturing establishments. Pop. about 700.
Belleville, v., capital of Desha co., Ark., situated on the s.
side of the Arkansas r. It contains a store and a few dwellings.
Belleville, p-v., Conecuh co., Ala., 154 s. by E. Tuscaloosa,
Belleville, p-o., Roane co., Tenn., 131 e. by s. Nashville, 550
Belleville Port, p-o., Essex co., Mass., 40 N. by e. Boston, 476
Bellevue, p-v., Huron co., O., 96 n. by e. Columbus, 405 W.
Bellevue, p-t., Eaton co., Mich., 16 Marshall, 119 w. N. w.
Detroit, 584 W. It is a good farming town, and has 3 stores,
cap. $6,500; 2 lumber yards, capital $1,000;' 1 grist, m., 2 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $8,000. Pop. 529. The village lies on Battle
creek, at the rapids, at the head of boat navigation. Lime is
extensively produced and exported. Pop. about 529.
Bellingham, p-t., Norfolk co., Mass., 36 s. w. Boston, 419 W.
The soil is sandy, and not very fertile. It is watered by
Charles r., which affords good water power, and its manufactures
are considerable. It has 5 stores, cap. $5,300; 3 cotton fee.
2,700 sp., 3 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $24,550. 9 sch.
284 scholars. Pop. 1,055.
Bellona Arsenal, p-v., Chesterfield co., Va., on James r., 12
miles above Richmond, 129 W.
Bellows' Falls, p-v., Rockingham t., Windham co., Vt., 98 s. by
e. Montpelier, 445 W. It is a pleasant village, in a romantic
situation. The falls in the Connecticut here, are a curiosity.
In the midst of the channel worn in the rocks, a huge rock
remains, on each side of which is a passage for the water. As
the e. side, however, is more elevated than the w. side, the
water, excepting when the river is high, passes wholly on the w.
side. The river above, which is about 350 feet wide, is here
compressed into a channel 16 feet wide, and descends by
successive pitches, 44 feet in the course of half a mile. A
canal has been cut in the rock, around these falls, three
quarters of a mile long, with 9 locks on the w. side, through
which boats and small steamboats pass. A bridge passes over the
river here, supported in the middle by the rock, built in 1785,
365 feet long, the view from which is wildly picturesque, Bell
Plain, p-o., Marshall county, Ill., 97 n Springfield, 780 W.
Belleport,p-v., Brookhaven, Suffolk co., N. Y., 209 m. s. e.
Albany, 289 W. It is situated near Fireplace Bay, L. I., and has
15 or 20 dwellings.
Bell's Landing, p-v., Monroe co., Ala., 117 s. Tuscaloosa, 909
W. Situated on Alabama r.
Bell's Store, p-o., Fairfield dist., S. C, 37 N. Columbus, 491
Bell's Valley, p-o., Rockbridge county, Va., 163 w. by n.
Richmond, 205 W.
Belmont County, Ohio, in the e. part of the
state, on the Ohio r., contains 536 sq. ms. The land is hilly
and broken, but much of it is good. Watered by Indian, Wheeling,
and Captina crs. The Ohio washes its whole e. border. The land
is elevated, and from its higher portions an extensive and
beautiful prospect is presented, particularly towards the E.
Capital St. Clairsville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 20,070,
sheep 45,692, swine 41,032; wheat 479,692 bushels produced, rye
6,950, Indian corn 528,934, buckwheat 45,735, barley 9,373, oats
416,397, potatoes 76,045, hops 31,487 pounds, tobacco 1,720,892,
sugar 38,186; 188,600 bushels bituminous coal; 2 commission
houses in foreign trade, cap. $3,000; 196 stores, cap. $139,895;
1 fulling m., 3 woollen fee, 19 tanneries, 15 distilleries, 1
pottery, 31 flouring m., 29 grist m., 50 saw m., 1 paper, 1
printing office, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manuf. $212,339. 3
acad. 56 students, 56 sch. l,984 schol. Pop. 1830, 28,412; 1840,
Belmont, p-t., Waldo co., Me., 37 e. by n. Augusta, 631 W. It
has 2 stores, cap. $1,800; 1 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$3,240. 11 sch. 632 scholars. Pop. 1,378.
Belmont, t., Franklin co., N. Y., 10 e. Malone, 202 n. Albany.
The surface is hilly and mountainous, and the soil clay and
sandy loam. Watered by Chateaugay and Trout rivers. It has 2 saw
m. Cap. in manufactures, $1,500. 5 sch. 121 scholars. Pop. 472.
Belmont, p-v., Goshen t., Belmont co., Ohio, 109 e. Columbus, 17
w. Wheeling, 292 W.
Belmont, p-o., Loudon co., Va., 148 n. Richmond, 29 W.
Belmont, p-o., Newberry dist., S. C, 51 n. w. Columbia, 515 W.
Belmont, p-v., Panola co., Miss., 169 n. Jackson, 937 W.
Belmont, p-o., Sumter co., Ala., 72 s. w. Tuscaloosa, 884 W.
Belmont, p-o., Pike county, Ill., 69 w. by s Springfield, 849 W.
Belmont, p-v., Iowa co., Wis., 64 s. w. Madison, 896 W.
Beloit, p-o., Rock co., Wis., 55 s. s. e. Madison, 820 W.
Belpre, p-t., Washington co., Ohio, 12 s. Marietta, 116 s. E.
Columbus, 304 W. It borders on the Ohio river, and much of it is
a beautiful meadow, as its name in French denotes. Settled in
1789. Blennerhasset's Island, made famous by Burr's conspiracy,
lies opposite the centre of the t. Opposite the island are
several ancient mounds.
Beltsville, p-o., Prince George co., Md., 28 w. s. w. Annapolis,
Belvidere, p-t., Lamoille co., Vt., 47 n. by w . Montpelier, 557
W. Situated on the w . side of the Green mountains, and very
uneven. Incorporated 1791. Watered by branches of Lamoille r. It
has 1 saw m., 2 sch. 62 scholars. Pop. 207.
Belvidere, p-v., Oxford t., capital of Warren co., N. J.
Situated on Delaware r., 57 n. n. w. Trenton, 212 W. It has a
court house, which contains also the jail and public offices, 2
churches, 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist, a bank, and an
academy. Pequest creek, which passes through it, affords a good
water power, and gives motion to several mills. There is an
elegant bridge across the Delaware r. here.
Belvidere, p-o., Sumner co., Tenn., 55 Nashville, 696 W.
Belvidere, t, Boone co , HI. It has 2 stores, cap. $6,000; 1
grist m., 3 saw m., 3 sch. 136 scholars. Pop. 698.
Belvidere, p-v., Winnebago co., Ill., 219 n. by e. Springfield,
Bemus' Heights, p-o., Stillwater t., Saratoga co., N. Y., 26 n.
Albany, 396 W.
Benedict., p-v., Charles co., Md., on the Patuxent r., 59 s. s.
e. Annapolis, 54 W.
Benevola, p-o., Pickens co., Ala., 34 w. Tuscaloosa, 852 W.
Benjamintown, p-o., Bradford co., Pa., 142 n. Harrisburg.
Bengal, t., Clinton co., Mich.
Bennetts' Bayoq, t., Benton co., Ark. Pop. 282.
Bennetts' Corners, p-o., Lenox t., Madison co., N. Y.
Bennettsville, p-v., capital of Marlboro dist., S. C, 107 n. e.
Columbia, 409 W. It contains a court house; 2 churches, 1
Baptist, 1 Methodist, and about 350 inhabitants.
Bennettsville, p-o., St. Clair co., Ala., 112 N. E. Tuscaloosa,
Bennington, County, Vt., in the s. w. comer of
the state, contains 610 sq. miles. The eastern part is
mountainous, extending into the range of the Green mountains,
and most parts of it are uneven, but the soil of the western
part is good for tillage, and of the eastern for grazing. A
range of limestone passes through the county, n. and s. and
furnishes some good quarries of marble; iron ore is also found.
The capitals are Bennington and Manchester. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 16,879, sheep 104,721, swine 9,906; wheat 12,959
bush, produced rye 25,671, Ind. corn 70,246, buckwheat 16,071,
oats 137,837, potatoes 564,279, sugar 180,986 pounds; 38 stores,
cap. $124,020; 5 furnaces, 11 fulling m., 8 woollen fac, 3
cotton fac 1,603 sp., 12 tanneries, 1 pottery, 1 paper fac, 17
grist m., 73 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly
newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $276, 365. 4 acad. 275 students, 102
sch. 3,894 scholars. Pop. 1830, 17,470; 1840, 16,872.
Bennington, p-v., serai-capital of Bennington co., Vt., 117 s.
by w. Montpelier, 37 n. e. Albany, 68 s. w. Windsor, 132 w. n.
w. Boston, 407 W. 42° 42' n. lat. and 73° w. lon. Pop. 1790,
2,400; 1830, 3,419; 1840, 3,429. This town was chartered in 1749
by Benning Wentworth, then the royal governor of N. H. from whom
it was named, and it was settled in 1761. It is drained by
branches of Hoosick r., which afford good water power. The soil
is fertile; and marble, iron ore, and yellow ochre, are found.
The principal village is on elevated ground, and has a court
house, a Congregational church, and an academy. A little to the
e. is a considerable manufacturing village. In August, 1777, 800
Americans under Gen. Starke, defeated a superior British force,
on the w. border of this town. It has 14 stores, cap. $55,670; 3
fulling m., 2 cotton fac. 1,608 sp., 3 furnaces, 4 tanneries, 1
pottery, 1 paper fac, 3 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 printing
office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $111,700. 2 acad.
150 students, 12 sch. 419 scholars. Pop. 3,429.
Bennington, p-t., Wyoming co., N. Y., 264 w. Albany, 370 W. It
has a rolling surface; soil, moist clay, and fertile. Drained by
Cayuga and Tonawanda crs. It has 5 stores, cap. $14,000; 1
woollen fac, 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in
manufac$8,300. 34 sch. 915 scholars. Pop. 2,368.
Bennington, t., Shiawassee co., Mich. Drained by Looking Glass
r. It has 1 saw m., 3 sch. 65 scholars. Pop. 403.
Bennington, p-t., Delaware co., O., 40 n. e. Columbus, 409 W.
Bensalem, t., Bucks co., Pa. It has 5 stores, cap. 1G,000; 3
grist m., 1 saw m., 4 sch. 154 scholars. Pop. 1,731.
Benson, p-t., Rutland co., Vt, 85 s. w. Montpelier, 62 s.
Burlington, 457 W. It lies on Lake Champlain, here about a mile
wide. First settled in 1783. The natural growth is pine, maple,
walnut, oak and beech. It has 3 stores, 1 fulling m., 1 tannery,
1 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $l,315). 11 sch. 510
scholars. Pop. 1,403.
Benson, p-o., Hope t, Hamilton co., N. Y., 65 N. by w. Albany,
Bent Creek, p-o., Buckingham co., Va., 106 w. Richmond, 192 W.
Bentivoglia, p-o., Albemarle co., Va., 80 n. w. Richmond, HOW.
Bentleyville, p-v., Washington co., Pa., 198 w. Harrisburg, 220
W. It lies on Pigeon creek.
Bentleyville, p-o., Halifax co., Va., 115 s. w. Richmond, 213 W.
Benton, County, Ala., in the n. e. part of the
state, contains 1,060 sq. miles. Watered by a branch of Coosa
r., and by Tallapoosa r. Surface generally level, soil fertile.
Capital, Jacksonville. There were in 1810, neat cattle 16,898,
sheep 4,886, swine 48,340; wheat 77,976 bush, produced, rye 885,
Ind. corn 667,832, oats 22,191, potatoes 23,677, tobacco 30,533
pounds, cotton 1,756,502. Value of gold produced $11,030. 29
stores, cap. $156,500; 1 cotton fac. 158 sp., 8 tanneries, 18
distilleries, 14 flouring m., 29 grist m., 24 saw m., 1 printing
office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $66,807. 4 acad.
180 students, 33 sch. 1,498 scholars. Pop. whites 11,360, slaves
2,894, free col'd 6; total, 14,260.
Benton, County, Tenn., in the western part of
the state, contains 375 sq. ms. The Tennessee r. forms its
eastern boundary. Drained by several small creeks, branches of
Tennessee r. Surface level, soil fertile. Capital, Camden. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 5,263, sheep 3,645, swine 23,330;
wheat 13,722 bush, produced, Ind. corn 41,533, oats 22,421,
potatoes 5,229, tobacco 29,563 pounds, cotton 22,499; 4 stores,
cap. $9,270; 3 distilleries, 3 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $1,050. 4 sch. 214 scholars. Pop. whites 4,517, slaves
247, free col'd 8; total, 4,772.
Benton, County, Mo., in the s. w. part of the
state, contains 1,050 sq. ms. The surface is uneven, consisting
of prairie and woodland, and the soil is rich. Capital, Warsaw.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,177, sheep 2,617, swine
12,541; wheat 3,233 bush, produced, Ind. corn 110,335, oats
8,195, potatoes 5,523, tobacco 4,731 pounds, cotton 2,821; 8
stores, cap. $18,935; 1 tannery, 2 distilleries. Cap. in
manufac. $3,700. 1 sch. 30 scholars. Pop. whites 3,933, slaves
261; total, 4,205.
Benton, County, Ark., in the N. w. corner of
the state, contains about 1,050 sq. miles. Drained by White r.
and head branches of Illinois and Cow-skin rivers. Surface
hilly, soil fertile. Capital, Bentonville. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 3,074, sheep 1,934, swine 8.221; wheat 5,123 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 130,595, oats 5,985, potatoes 5,744, cotton
1,114,622 pounds; 6 stores, cap. $33,900; 2 tanneries, 4
distilleries, 5 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,400. 6
sch. 121 scholars. Pop. whites 2,050, slaves 168, free col'd 10;
Benton, p-t, Yates co., N. Y., 184 w. Albany, 337 W. The surface
consists of gentle swells or extended plains, the soil, clay,
sandy and gravelly loam, underlaid with slate and limestone. The
outlet of Crooked lake, and Cashong cr. afford water power, and
have several mills. The p-v., called Benton Centre, has 2
churches, 2 stores, 'and 30 or 40 dwellings. There are in the t
7 stores, cap. $21,500; 2 fulling m., 1 woollen fac, 1 tannery,
1 distillery, 2 flouring m., 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $74,710. 18 sch. 1,085 scholars. Pop. 3,911.
Benton, p-o., Columbia co., Pa., 110 n.
by e. Harrisburg, 221 W.
Benton, p-v., Lumpkin co., Ga., 15 Dahlonega 125 n. n. w.
Milledgeville, 635 W. Situated on the ridge between the
Chestatee and Etowah rivers.
Benton, p-o., Lowndes co., Ala., 98 s. s. e. Tuscaloosa, 859 W.
Benton, t., Hocking co., O. Pop. 44S.
Benton, p-v., capital of Saline co., Ark., 24 s. w. Little Rock,
Benton, p-o., Marshall co., Tenn., 57 s. Nashville, 708 W.
Benton, p-v., Salt creek t., Holmes co., O., 92 n. e. Columbus,
344 W. Situated on the s. side of Martins creek. It has several
stores and warehouses, 30 dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants.
Benton, p-o., Franklin co., Ill., 151 s. s. e. Springfield, 816
Benton, p-v., capital of Scott co., Mo., 222 s. E. Jefferson
city, 870 W. It contains a court house, jail, several stores and
Benton, p-o., Washtenaw co., Mich., 45 w. Detroit, 522 W.
Benton, p-o., Hamilton co., Flor.
Benton, t., Hocking co., O. Pop. 448. Benton, p-v., capital of
Yazoo co., Miss., 50 N. w. Jackson, 1,019 W. It is nearly
equidistant between Big Black and Yazoo rivers. Contains a court
house, jail, and 1 church, free to all denominations, except R.
Catholics, 1 academy, a masonic hall, and 4 stores. It is
surrounded by a fine cotton-growing country. Population, 400.
Benton, t., Macon co., Mo. Pop. 330.
Benton, t., Linn co., Mo. Pop. 413.
Benton, t., Newton co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 20 scholars. Pop. 744.
Benton, t., Polk co., Mo. Pop. 490.
Benton, t., Taney co., Mo. Pop. 340.
Benton, t., Wayne co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 33 scholars. Pop. 425.
Benton Ridge, p-o., Hancock co., O., 99 n. by w. Columbus, 464
Benton's Port, p-v., Van Buren co., Iowa.
Bentonville, p-v;, capital of Polk co.,Tenn., 174 s. E.
Nashville, 574 W. It has a court house, jail, and academy, all
of brick, 3 stores, 2 churches, 1 Cumberland Pres., 1 Baptist,
and about 200 inhabitants. It is on Four-mile branch, 4 m. s. of
Bentonville, p-o., Fayette co., In., 50 E. s. E. Indianapolis,
Bentonville, p-o., Adams co., O.
Bentonville, v., capital of Benton co., Ark., 2 s. of Little
Sugar cr. It has a court house jail, and an academy. Pop. 134.
Benvenue, p-o., Dauphin co., Pa., 15 n. Harrisburg, 125 W.
Berea, p-v., Middleburg t., Cuyahoga co., O., 12 s. w.
Cleveland, 136 n. n. e. Columbus, 366 W. Situated on the falls
of the e. branch of Rocky r., which affords water power. A
manual labor seminary is located here. It has several mills, and
a manufactory of grindstones, of an excellent quality.
Berea Granville, p-o., Person co., N. C.
Bergen, County, N. J. Situated in the n. e.
part of the state, and contains 350 sq. ms. The surface is
various; soil, fertile, especially on the streams. Watered by
Hackensack and Saddle rivers. The Palisades on the Hudson r. lie
in this co. Capital, Hackensack. There were in 1840, neat cattle
6,425, sheep 7,266, swine 8,599; wheat 7,221 bush, produced, rye
80,743, Ind. corn 86,667, buckwheat 45,169, oats 79,239,
potatoes 127,043; products of the dairy, $65,262; of the
orchard, $57,803; of the garden, $32,494; 34 stores, cap.
$31,050; 1 fulling m., 6 cotton fac. 4,398 sp., 9 tanneries, 8
distilleries, 5 paper fac, 47 grist m., 57 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $128,733. 1 acad. 25 students, 40 sch. 1,388 scholars.
Pop. 1840, 13,223.
Bergen, p-t., Genesee co., N. Y., 14 n. w. Batavia, 237 w.
Albany, 378 W. The surface is level, and the soil clay loam.
Watered by Black cr. The Tonawanda railroad passes through it.
The p-v. contains 5 stores and 30 dwellings. Pop. of the v. 200,
of the t. 1,832. It has 3 stores, cap. $7,200; 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $1,100. 10 sch. 405 scholars.
Bergen, p-t., and capital Hudson co., N. J., 56 n. E. Trenton,
222 W. The surface is partly hilly, and partly marsh; soil, red
shale, and fertile. The v. is situated on the summit of Bergen
ridge, 3 ms. w. Jersey City, has 2 churches, 1 Dutch Reformed, 1
Presbyterian, 2 stores, and 60 houses. The Beacon race course
lies a little N. of the village. The court house is about to be
erected in the n. part of the t. Settled in 1616 by Danes, who
came over with the Hollanders. There are in the t., 1 furnace, 2
rope fac. Cap. in manufac. $202,300. 14 sch. 670 scholars. Pop.
Berger's Store, p-o., Pittsylvania co., Va., 163 s. w. Richmond,
Berkley, p-t., Bristol co., Ms., 37 s. Boston, 18 e. Providence,
424 W. Taken from Dighton in 1735, from which it is separated by
Taunton r. The soil is light and not fertile. It has some
coasting trade, and some ship-building. It has 1 store, cap.
$1,000; 1 grist m., 7 sch. 328 scholars. Pop. 886.
Berkley, County, Va., in the n. e. part of the
state, on the Potomac, contains 392 sq. ms. The surface is
uneven and broken. Capital, Martinsburg. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 9,157, sheep 13,092, swine 25,035; wheat 287,127
bush, produced, rye 38,005, Ind. corn 390,948, buckwheat 2,293,
oats 135,920; 28 stores, cap. $123,200; 7 fulling m., 3 woollen
fac, 1 furnace, 7 tanneries, 8 distilleries, 19 flouring m., 30
grist m., 26 saw m., 1 paper fac, 1 printing office, 1 weekly
newspaper. Cap. in manufac $355,737. 4 acad. 115 students, 18
sch. 612 scholars. Pop. 1830, 10,528; 1840, whites 8,760, slaves
1,919, free colored 293; total, 10,972.
Berkley Springs, p-o., in the village of Bath, Morgan co., Va.,
180 n. n. w. Richmond, 101 W. The springs, which are near the
village, are but slightly impregnated with mineral ingredients,
and the cures which they effect are probably chiefly to be
attributed to pure air, and a beautiful and romantic scenery.
Berks, County, Pa., in the s. e. part of the
state, contains 1,020 sq. ms. It has a finely diversified
surface, with mountains on the n. w. and s. e. It is traversed
by Schuylkill r. The soil is fertile. Capital, Reading. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 32,803, sheep 21,517, swine 34,095;
wheat 331,959 bush, produced, rye 449,247, Ind. corn 490,777,
buckwheat 58,040, oats 585,111, potatoes 224,591; 118 stores,
cap. $459,943; 11 furnaces, 36 forges; 13 lumber yards, cap.
$53,000; 16 fulling m., 7 woollen fac, 52 tanneries, 29
distilleries, 3 powder m., 3 potteries, 27 flouring m., 114
grist m., 108 saw m., 15 oil m., 5 paper fac, 1 printing office,
5 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $250,743. 3 acad. 138
students, 25 sch. 1,750 scholars. Pop. 1830, 53,357; 1840,
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!