Berkshire County, MS to Bethlem CT
Berkshire, County, Ms.,
the most western in the state. The surface is uneven, as the
Green Mountain range, which is here about 1,200 feet high on an
average, passes through it. The soil is generally fertile, and
particularly adapted to grazing. It is drained by the head
branches of the Housatonic and Hoosick rs., which afford
valuable water power. Several of its towns have extensive
manufactures. It has a good white marble and iron ore. The
railroad from Boston to Albany passes through it. There were in
1840. neat cattle 34,410, sheep 133,942, swine 13,873; wheat
30,236 bush, produced, rye 54,547, Ind. corn 119,846, buckwheat
13,122, oats 288,164, potatoes 670,876, sugar 234,334 pounds;
106 stores,_ cap. $255,850; 17 fulling m., 10 woollen fac, 25
cotton fac. 34,512 sp., 6 furnaces, 28 tanneries, 3
distilleries, 1 brewery, 2 powder m., 19 paper fac, 39 grist m.,
188 saw m., 3 oil m., 4 printing offices, 3 weekly papers. Cap.
in manufac $1,813,749. 1 college 130 students, 12 acad. 522
students, 258 sch. 9,104 scholars. Pop. 1830,37,825;
1840,41,745. Capital, Lenox.
Berkshire, p-t., Franklin co., Vt., 65 n. by w. Montpelier, 22
n. e. by e. St. Albans, 31 n. e. by n. Burlington, 562 w.
Watered by Misisque r. and its branches, which furnish fine
intervale land. Pike r., from Canada, affords a good water
power. It has 5 stores, cap. $6,000; 1 fulling m., 3 tanneries,
1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac $14,500. 13 sch. 267
scholars. Pop. 1,818.
Berkshire, p-t., Tioga co., N. Y., 148 w. s. w. Albany, 13 n.
Owego, 291 W. The surface is hilly, and the soil gravelly loam,
and very productive in the valleys. The p-v. is on the E. Owego
cr., has 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist church, 2 stores, an
academy, 1 woollen fac, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 tannery, and 45
dwellings. Pop. of the v. 300, of the t. 956.
Berkshire, p-t., Delaware co., O., 28 n. Columbus, 398 W. It is
one of the richest townships in the county. The v. has an
Episcopal church. There are in the t. 7 sch. 210 scholars. Pop.
Berkshire, p-o., Kane co., Ill.
Berkshire Valley, p-v., Jefferson t, Morris co., N. J., 12 n. w.
Mornstown, 67 n. Trenton, 238 W. It is a wild rocky spot,
through which runs a branch of Rockaway r., which affords water
power, and on which are several forges. There is here 1
Berlin, p-t., Coos co., N. H., Ill n. Concord, 594 W. The
Androscoggin and Amonoosuck rs. pass through it. Settled in 1771
under the name of Maynesborough; received its present name in
1829. It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac $1,300. 2 sch.
42 scholars. Pop. 116.
Berlin, t., Oxford co., Me., 45 n. w. Augusta. It has 5 sch. 211
scholars. Pop. 442.
Berlin, p-t., Washington co., Vt., 4 s. Montpelier, 517 W.
Watered by branches of Onion r., which afford good water power.
First settled in 1786. It has 1 store, cap. $12,000; 1 fulling
m., 2 flouring m., 5 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac $11,910.
13 sch. 534 scholars. Pop. 1,598.
Berlin, p-t., Worcester co., Ms., 15 n. e. Worcester, 34 w. by
N. Boston, 413 W. Watered by a branch of Assabet r., which
affords a good water power. It has 1 store, cap. $10,400; 2
grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac $6,150. 1 acad. 10 students,
5 sch. 229 scholars. Pop. 763.
Berlin, p-t., Hartford co., Ct., 10 s. by w. Hartford, 327 W.
Taken from Farmington in 1785. The surface is uneven, and the
soil fertile. It has the societies of Worthington, Kensington,
and New Britain, the last of which is a considerable
manufacturing village. It has extensive manufactures,
particularly of tin ware. The Hartford and New Haven railroad
passes through it. It has 12 stores, cap. $79,100; 1 fulling m.,
2 cotton fac. 1,000 sp., 1 tannery, 4 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in
manufac $330,050. 1 acad. 40 students, 16 sch. 724 scholars.
Berlin, p-t., Rensselaer co., N. Y., 26 e. Albany, 387 W. The v.
is on Little Hoosick cr., has 4 stores, 1 church, 2 m. Pop. 300.
At the centre of the t. is another village, settled in 1764 by
Germans, which has 1 church, 1 store, and 20 dwellings. There
are in the t. 4 stores, cap. $8,000; 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 5
saw m. Cap in manufac $8,945. 8 sch. 522 scholars. Pop. 1,794.
Berlin, t., Wayne co., Pa. Drained by Masthope, and some small
branches of the Lackawaxen cr. It has 3 stores, cap. $3,000; 6
sch. 128 scholars. Pop. 488.
Berlin, p-b., Brothers Valley t, Somerset, co., Pa., 143 w. by
s. Harrisburg, 160 W. Situated on the head waters of Stony cr.
It has 1 Lutheran, and 1 German Reformed church, and contains 4
stores, cap. $23,000; 4 tanneries, 2 potteries. Cap. in manufac
$9,000. 2 sch. 60 scholars. Pop. 524.
Berlin, t., Milwaukie co., Wis. It has 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac
$2,000. Pop. 199.
Berlin, p-v., Worcester co., Md., 123 s. e. Annapolis, 163 W.
Berlin, p-o., Southampton co., Va., 70 s. Richmond, 189 W.
Berlin, p-v., Marshall co., Tenn., 48 s. Nashville, 705 W.
Berlin, t., St. Clair co., Mich. It has 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac
$2,000. Pop. 255.
Berlin, p-t., Holmes co., O., 95 n. e. Columbus, 337 W. It lies
in the e. part of the co., and is 5 miles square. It has 1
pottery, 4 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly
newspaper. Cap. in manufac $3,719. 1 sch. 52 scholars. Pop.
Berlin, p-v., Sangamon co., Ill., 14 w. by s. Springfield, 794
Berlin, t., Erie co., O. It has 12 sch. 575 scholars. Pop.
Berlin, p-v., Sumter co., Ala. 86 s. w. Tuscaloosa, 904 W.
Berlin, p-v., Scott co., Iowa, formerly called Parkhurst.
Berlin, t., Knox co., O. Pop. 1,091.
Berlin, p-t., Trumbull co., O., 18 s. w. Warren, 156 n. e.
Columbus, 303 W. Mahoning cr. passes through the t. The soil is
excellent. Post office called Berlin Centre. It has 9 sch. 523
scholars. Pop. 1,283.
Berlinville, p-o., Berlin t., Huron co., O, 4 e. Norwalk, 108 n.
n. e. Columbus, 395 W.
Bermudian, p-v., Adams co., Pa., 19 s. by w. Harrisburg, 96 W.
Bernadotte, p-v., Fulton co., Ill., 65 n. w. Springfield, 843 W.
Bernardston, p-t., Franklin co., Ms., 99 w. by n. Boston, 7 n.
Greenfield, 409 W. It is on elevated ground, between Fall and
Connecticut rs. It has 2 stores, cap. $4,000; 2 grist m., 5 saw
m., 6 sch. 252 scholars. Pop. 992.
Bernard, t., Somerset co., N. J. The surface is hilly or
mountainous; soil, fertile and well cultivated. It has 7 stores,
cap. $13,600; 1 fulling m. t 2 woollen fac, 4 tanneries, 1
distillery, 5 grist ms., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $37,933. 7
sch. 231 scholars. Pop. 2,059.
Bernardsville, p-v., Mercer co., N. J.
Berne p-t., Albany co., N. Y., 23 w. Albany, 393 W. The
Helderberg hills here rise precipitously from 100 to 500 feet.
The valleys are very fertile. Watered by Foxes cr. which flows
into Schoharie cr. It has 9 stores, cap. $23,000; 1 fulling m.,
2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 22 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $16,190. 24
schools, 1,106 scholars. Population 3,740.
Berne, t., Athens co., O. Drained by Federal cr. It has 1 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $3,100. 1 sch. 15 scholars. Pop. 381.
Berne, t., Fairfield co., O. Pop. 2,419.
Berne, t., Berks co., Pa. Divided into Upper and Lower Berne
townships. Watered by Schuylkill r. It has 6 stores, cap.
$14,475; 3 tanneries, 1 powder m., 1 flouring m., 6 grist m., 7
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,275. Pod. 3,149.
Berne, p-o., Monroe co., 0., 108 e. s. e. Columbus, 297 W.
Bernville, p-v., Lower Berne t., Berks co. Pa., 63 e. by n
Harrisburg, 158 W. It contains 1 store, 40 dwellings, and 250
inhabitants. Berrien, county, Mich., in the s. w. corner of the
state, contains 576 sq. ms. Drained chiefly by St. Joseph's,
Pawpaw, and Galien rs. The surface is rolling, but not hilly.
The soil on the St. Joseph is a deep black sandy loam, in other
parts of the county it is various. The valleys of the rivers are
covered with a heavy growth of oak, whitewood, beech, elm,
hickory, and sugar maple; in some parts there is considerable
pine. The rivers and creeks furnish excellent mill sites.
Capital, St. Joseph. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,934,
sheep 2,407, swine 10,067; wheat 56,685 bush, produced, Ind.
corn 97,603, buckwheat 1,316, barley, 2,792, oats 53,692,
potatoes 35,535, sugar 45,560 pounds; 5 commission houses in
for. trade, cap. $25,500; 21 stores, cap. 101,300; 2 tanneries,
4 distilleries, 1 brewery, 3 flouring ms., 7 grist m., 27 saw
m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
$223,008. 1 college, 38 students, 23 sch. 620 scholars. Pop.
Berrien Springs, p-v., Berrien t., Berrien co., Mich., 192 s. w.
Detroit, 637 W. It is on the w. bank of the St. Joseph r., 15
ms. from its mouth. In the t. there are 4 stores, cap. $16,650;
1 distillery, 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $20,270. 4 sch. 84
scholars. Pop. 543.
Berrysburg, p-v., Mifflin t., Dauphin co., Pa., 39 n.
Harrisburg, 149 W. It has 2 stores, and about 20 dwellings.
Berry's Ferry, p-o., Clark co., Va., 133 Richmond, 64 W.
Berry's Lick, p-o., Butler co., Ky.
Berrysville, p-v., Knox co., In., 113 s. w. Indianapolis, 675 W.
Berrysville, p-o., Clark co., Va., 158 Richmond, 62 W.
Berrytown, p-v., Kent co., Del., 14 s. by w Dover, 122 W.
Berryville, v., Scott co., Miss., 10 s. Hillsboro C. H.
Bertie, County, N. C, in the n. e. part of the
state, contains 1,000 sq. miles. It is bounded s. by Roanoke r.
The surface is level, and in some parts marshy. The chief
productions are cotton and tobacco. Capital, Windsor. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 9,484, sheep 7,222, swine 39,2 18; wheat
2,839 bush, produced, Ind. corn 545,282, oats 6,504, potatoes
66,444, cotton 2,121,449, tar, pitch, &c. 22,439 barrels; 17
stores, cap. $101,000; 30 tanneries, 82 distilleries, 24 grist
m., 10 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $84,957. 14 sch. 224 scholars.
Pop. 1830, 12,276; 1840, whites 5,144, slaves 6,728, free col'd
303; total, 12,175.
Bertrand, p-t., Berrien co., Mich., 186 w. by s. Detroit, 631 W.
The v. is pleasantly situated on the E. bank of the St. Joseph's
r., and has considerable business. The t. has 2 stores, cap.
$27,000; 1 distillery, 1 flouring m., 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $82,800. 5 sch. 246 scholars. Pop. 1,298.
Berwick, p-v., Brier Creek t, Columbia co., Pa., 97 n. by E.
Harrisburg, 28 s. w. Wilkesbarre, 207 W. On the n. side of the
Susquehanna r., at Niscopeck falls. There is a bridge here over
the Susquehanna 1,260 feet long, which cost $52,435. It is
pleasantly situated, and has a Methodist church, 5 stores, and
800 inhabitants. The Pennsylvania canal runs through the place.
Berwick, t., York co., Me., 16 n. w. Portsmouth, N. H., 103 s.
w. Augusta. Situated on the Salmon Fall r. It has considerable
trade in lumber. Incorporated in 1713. There is a considerable
village at the falls on the r., called South Berwick, to which
vessels come, and which has considerable trade. There are 5
stores, cap. $10,500; 4 tanneries, 1 pottery, 1 grist m., 5 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $10,100. 15 sch. 640 scholars. Pop. 1,698.
Berwick, t., Adams co., Pa., 41 s. w. Harrisburg. The surface is
level, soil red shale. Watered by Conewago and Beaver creeks. It
has 5 stores, cap. $28,500; 3 tanneries, 3 distilleries, 3
flouring m., 3 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 printing office, 2 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $14,190. 6 sch. 493 scholars. Pop.
Berzelia, p-o., Columbia co., Ga., 74 n. e. Milledgeville, 20 w.
Augusta, 597 W. It is a depot on the Georgia railroad.
Bethabara, v., Stokes co., N. C, 9 s. Germanton. It is a
Moravian village, has a large church, and 150 inhabitants.
Bethania, p-v., Stokes co., N. C, 118 n. w. by w. Raleigh, 9 s.
Germanton, 339 W. It is a Moravian village, containing 1 church,
and 200 inhabitants.
Bethany, p-t., New Haven co., Ct., 46 s. w. Hartford, 316 W. It
was taken from the n. part of Woodbridge in 1832. The soil,
generally good. In the e. part it is mountainous. It has 5
stores, cap. $5,400; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 1 flouring m., 2
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,060. 1 acad. 30 students, 7 sch. 210
scholars. Pop. 1,170.
Bethany, p-v., Bethany t., Genesee co., N. Y., 252 w. Albany,
370 W. The surface of the t. is rolling; soil, sandy loam and
clay. Drained by Little Tonawanda and Black crs. The v. contains
2 churches, 2 stores, and 35 dwellings. Pop. 200; of the t.
2,286. It is surrounded by a fine agricultural country.
Bethany, p-b., Dyberry t., Wayne co., Pa., 3 n. Honesdale, 165
n. e. Harrisburg, 272 W., 1 mile w. of Dyberry cr. It contains a
court house and fire-proof public offices, 1 Presbyterian church
and 50 dwellings. It has 8 stores, cap. $39,200; 3 fulling m., 1
tannery, 1 glass fac, 1 glass cutting estab., 1 flouring m., 2
printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $82,000.
1 acad. 36 students, 1 sch. 55 scholars. Pop. 299.
Bethany, p-v., Brooke co., Va., 352 n. w. Richmond, 259 W.
Bethany Church, p-o., Iredell co., N. C, 152 w. Raleigh, 379 W.
Bethel, p-t., Oxford co., Me., 18 n. w. Paris, 63 w. Augusta,
603 W. Incorporated in 1796. It lies on the Androscoggin r., and
has a good soil. It contains 1 acad. 80 students, 23 sch. 716
scholars. Pop. 1,994.
Bethel, p-t., Windsor co., Vt., 34 s. by w. Montpelier, 483 W.
Chartered in 1779. The surface is broken and mountainous, but
the soil is fertile. Watered by White r. and its branches. One
of these branches affords a fine water power. There is here an
inexhaustible quarry of steatite or soapstone, and a mill for
sawing it, and it is variously manufactured, and extensively
exported. It has 6 stores, cap. $25,000; 2 fulling m., 2 woollen
fac, 3 tanneries, 2 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $28,225.
14 sch. 536 scholars. Pop. 1,886.
Bethel, p-v., Danbury t., Fairfield co.,
Ct., 71 s. w. Hartford, 289 W. It is a flourishing manufacturing
village of 50 or 60 houses, and half as many workshops or
factories. Hats and combs are the principal articles
Bethel, p-t., Sullivan co., N. Y., 60 w. Newburg, 121 s. s. w.
Albany, 303 W. The surface is hilly, soil gravelly loam, resting
on slate. Drained by branches of the Delaware r. There are
several large ponds, one of which affords mill seats at its
outlet. It has 3 stores, cap. $9,000; 1 fulling m., 2 grist m.,
8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $16,500. Pop. 1,483.
Bethel, p-t., Berks co., Pa., 52 e. Harrisburg, 162 W. It has 1
church, used by German Presbyterians and German Lutherans, and
30 dwellings. I has 5 stores, cap. $12,500; 1 fulling m., 1
woollen fac, 2 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 4 grist m., 6 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $3,700. Pop. 1,458.
Bethel, t., Bedford co., Pa. The surface is mountainous, and the
soil calcareous loam. Drained by Great Conoloway cr. and its
tributaries. It has 1 store, cap. $2,800; 1 tannery, 5 grist m.,
7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,954. Pop. 1,402.
Bethel, t., Delaware co., Pa. The surface is level; soil, clay.
Watered by Naaman's cr., a branch of Chester cr. It has 1 store,
cap. $3,000; 3 tanneries, 1 distillery, 2 flouring m., 3 grist
m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,735. Pop. 386.
Bethel, t., Clark co., O., in the s. w. corner of the co., on
the waters of Mad cr. It has 10 sch. 509 scholars. Pop. 2,033.
Bethel, p-v., Hertford co., N. C, 169 N. E. Raleigh, 241 W.
Bethel, p-v., Glynn co., Ga., 238 s. e. Milledgeville, 747 W.
Bethel, t., Posey co., In. Pop. 449.
Bethel, p-o., Wilcox co., Ala., 105 s. Tuscaloosa, 897 W.
Bethel, t., Branch co., Mich. 3 sch. 46 scholars. Pop. 335.
Bethel, p-v., Clermont co., O., 110 s. w. Columbus, 477 W.
Bethel, St. Clair co., Mich. Pop. 225.
Bethel, p-o., Morgan co., Ill., 45 Springfield, 825 W.
Bethel, t., Monroe co., O. Pop. 545.
Bethel, t., Miami co., O., on the e. side of Miami r. It has 1
store, cap. $1,000; 2 saw m. 6 sch. 294 scholars. Pop. 1,574.
Bethel, v., Wayne co., Ga., on the s. side of Turtle r. It
contains a Methodist church, and about 12 dwellings.
Bethel, t, Lebanon co., Pa. The surface is mountainous in the
n., level in the s.; soil chiefly gravel. Watered by Swatara cr.
and its branches. The v. contains 2 churches — 1 German
Presbyterian and 1 German Lutheran. The t. has 4 stores, cap.
$16,500; 1 furnace, 2 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 3 grist m., 1
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,937. 3 sch. 149 scholars. Pop.
Bethesda, p-o., Williamson co., Tenn.
Bethlehem, p-t., Grafton co., N. H., 88 n. w. Concord, 549 W.
Incorporated in 1799. Watered by Great Amonoosuc r. The soil is
fertile, and among the natural growth is pine and the sugar
maple. Some mountain and bog iron ore is found. It has mineral
springs. It contains 1 store, cap. $2,000; 1 fulling m., 2 grist
m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,850. 11 sch. 285 scholars. Pop.
Bethlehem, p-t., Hunterdon co., N. J., 40 n. by w. Trenton, 202
W. Surface hilly and mountainous on the n.; soil, clay, red
shale, tad loam. It has a Presbyterian church, 5 stores, cap.
$16,850; 4 tanneries, 5 grist m., 3 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in
manufac. $7,725. 6 sch. 166 scholars. Pop. 2,370.
Bethlehem, t., Albany co., N. Y., 5 s. Alba- ny. The soil is
various; along Hudson r. are some alluvial flats. Watered by
Normanskill, Wamanskill, and Coeymans crs., which afford some
water power. It has 7 stores, cap. $6,000; 4 fulling m., 3
woollen fac, 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac
$29,060. 800 scholars in sch. Pop. 3,238.
Bethlehem, p-b., Northampton co., Pa., 48 w. of n. Philadelphia,
93 e. Harrisburg, 186 W. Settled by the Moravians, under Count
Zinzendorf, in 1741. The borough, which is characterized by
great neatness and order, is on the n. bank of the Lehigh r., at
the mouth of the Manokicy cr. The ground rises gradually from
the r. and the cr., and gives a commanding situation to the v.
It is compactly built on a street running n. and s., and two
other streets proceeding e. from the main street. It contains a
large stone church, in the Gothic style, 142 feet long and 68
feet wide, with a small tower rising from the centre, and
surmounted by a dome. There is a burying ground to the n. e. of
the village, laid out with great neatness and taste, in which
the graves have the heads to the n. There are about 200 dwelling
houses, besides other buildings. Here is a bridge over the
Lehigh 400 feet long. This place has long been celebrated for a
female school of a high order, conducted by the Moravians, in
which many highly respectable ladies of the Middle states have
received their education. The Lehigh canal passes along the r.,
through the lower part of the place. It contains 4 stores, cap.
$16,500; 1 furnace, 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 brewery, 4
flouring m., 5 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac $88,000. 1
college, 8 students, 2 acad. 175 students, 2 sch. 169 scholars.
Bethlehem, p-t., Stark co., O., on the Tuscarawas r., near the
Ohio canal. It has some good water power. The soil is good. The
land is rolling on the e. side of the r., and hilly on the w. It
has 3 sch. 82 scholars. Pop. 2,019.
Bethlehem, t., Coshocton co., O. Drained by Walhonding r. Pop.
Bethlehem, p-v., Clark co., In., on the w. bank of the Ohio r.,
26 Louisville, Ky., 104 s. by E. Indianapolis, 585 W.
Bethlehem, v., Oglethorpe co., Ga., 65 n. n. e. Milledgeville.
Contains a Presbyterian church, an academy, and several
Bethlehem Cross Roads, p-o., Southampton co., Va., 80 s. by E.
Richmond, 199 W.
Bethlem, p-t., Litchfield co., Ct., 43 w. s. w. Hartford, 32 n.
w. by w. New Haven, 315 W. The surface is hilly, and the soil a
fertile gravelly loam. It is a small t. 4£ miles long by 4 wide,
containing 18 sq. miles. The head waters of Pomperaug r., a
branch of the Housatonic r., afford some water power. The
village contains 2 churches — 1 Congregational and 1 Episcopal—
2 stores, cap. $5,000; 1 fulling m., 2 distilleries, 1 grist m.,
4 saw m. Cap. in man ufac $3,230. 9 sch. 200 scholars. Pop. 776.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!