Bethsaida IL to Black Warrior, AL
Bethsaida, p-o., Cole co., Ill., 88 e. s. e. Springfield, 696.
Bettsville, p-o., Seneca co., O., 101 w. Columbus, 443 w.
Bevans, p-o., Sussex co., N. J., 96 n. Trenton, 252 W.
Bevansville, p-o., Alleghany co., Md., 144 n. w. by w.
Annapolis, 112 w.
Beverly, p-t., Essex co., Ms., 16 n. e. Boston, 456 w. It lies
n. of Salem, to which it is connected by a bridge 1,500 feet
long. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in commerce; and the
fisheries, though they have considerable manufacture.
Incorporated in 1688. The v. has 4 churches-2 Congregational, 1
Baptist and 1 Unitarian- a bank, and an insurance office. There
are in the 1. 1 com. house, cap. $10,000 , 22 stores, cap.,
$43,000; 1 rope fac., 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap in manufac.
$38,000. 1 acad. 29 students, 10 sch. 828 scholars. Pop. 4,689
Beverly, p-v., capital of Randolph co., Va 205 nw Richmond 232
Beverly, p-v., capital of Randolph co., Va 205 nw Richmond 232
Beverly, p-v., capital of Randolph co., Va 205 n w Richmond 232
W. on the Eastern Fork of the Monongahela r. It is laid out in 3
parallel streets, and has a court house jail, and county
offices, and about 20 dwellings. The country immediately around
it is well cultivated, and for several miles in every direction,
appears like an extended village.
Beverly, p-v., Anson co., N. C., w s. w. Raleigh, 406 W.
Beverly, p-t., Washington co., O., 87 s. E. Columbus, 321 W.
Beverly, p-o., Adams co., Ill., 78 w. Springfield, 858 W.
Bevis' Tavern, p-o., Hamilton co., O, 114 s. w. Columbus, 504 W.
Bexar, p-o., Coweta co., Ga., w. by n. Milledgeville.
Bibb County, Ga., in the central part of the
state, contains 450 sq. ms. Drained by the Ocmulgee r. The soil
in the s. part is sandy, m the n. red loam. Capital, Macon There
were in 1840, neat cattle 4,137 sheep 1,178, swine 7,913; wheat
4,560 bush, produced, Ind. corn, 143,145, oats 5,660, potatoes
8,370 cotton 1,261,000 pounds; 9 commission houses in for.
trade, cap. $75,000, 82 stores, cap. $385,000; 9 lumber yards,
cap. 7,500, 9 grist m., 11 saw m., 3 printing offices, 1
bindery, 1 periodical, 3 weekly newspapers Cap. in manufac.
$132,100. 1 college, 150 students, 3 acad. 200 students, 2 sch.
75 scholars. Pop. 1830, 7,154; 1840, whites 5,355, slaves 4,420,
free col'd 27; total, 9,802.
Bibb, County, Ala., in the central part of the
state, contains 800 sq. ms. Drained by the Cahawba r. Capital,
Centreville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,711, sheep 2,340,
swine 11,480; wheat 23,418 bush, produced, rye 1,263, md. corn
235,237, oats 20,533, potatoes 16,153, tobacco 7,724 pounds,
cotton 268,408; 5 stores, cap. $13,700; 3 forges, 1 cotton fac.
984 sp., 2 tanneries, 10 distilleries, 2 flouring m., 27 grist
m., 21 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $37,122. 15 sch. 418 scholars.
Pop. 1830, 6,306; 1840, whites 6,256, slaves 2,023, free col'd
5; total, 8,284.
Bickley's Mills, po., Russell co., Va., 338 w. by s. Richmond,
Biddeford, t., York co., Me., is on the s. side of Saco r., and
connected with the town of Saco by a bridge. It extends to the
ocean, and has a revolving light off the mouth of the Saco r. It
has 15 stores, cap. $7,500; 1 furnace, 1 fulling m, 2 tanneries,
1 pottery, 2 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $16,450. 13
sch. 563 scholars. Pop. 2,574.
Big Beaver, t, Beaver co., Pa. It has 3 stores, cap. 4,500; 1
tannery, 2 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. mufac. $4,350. 9 sch. 295
scholars. Pop. 1,339.
Big Bend, p-o., Venango co., Pa.
Big Black, r., Miss., has a course of 160 miles, and falls into
Big Blue r., rises in the Indian territory, and and enters the
Missouri in Jackson co.
Big Blue, p-o., Jackson co., Mo., 153 w. n. w. Jefferson City.
Pop. 1,079 w.
Big Brook, p-o., Western t., Oneida co., N. Y., 104 w. by n.
Albany, 404 w.
Bigbyville, p-o., Maury co., Tenn., 60 s. by w. Nashville, 732
Big Coal, p-o., Kanhawa co., Va.
Big Creek, p-o., Stokes co, N. C., 142 n. w.
Big Creek, Phillips co., Ark., 103 e. Little Rock, 1,030 W. It
has 2 grist m, 1 sch. 10 scholars. Pop. 392.
Big Creek, p-o., Johnson co. Mo, 118 w. by n. Jefferson city,
Big Creek, t. Van Buren co. Mo, 3 sch. 82 scholars. Pop. 1,106.
Big Creek, t, Crawford co Ark. Pop. 225
Big Creek, t. Rives co. Mo. It has 2 sch. 36 scholars. Pop. 431.
Big Creek, a small branch of White r. Ark.
Bigelow's Mill, p-o, Laporte co, In., 140 n. by w. Indianapolis,
Big Eagle, p-o, Scott co, Ky.
Big Equinunck, p-o, Wayne co. Pa, 95 n. e. Harrisburg, 291 W.
Big Flats, p-t, Chemung co, N.Y, 204 s. w. Albany, 5 w. Elmira,
284 W. Surface generally uneven, excepting on the r. Watered by
Chemung r. and its branches. The navigable Chemung canal, and
the New York and Erie railroad pass through the t The y. is on
the N. side of the Chemung r, and contains 1 Presbyterian and 1
Episcopal church, 2 stores, 30 dwellings and 200 inhabitants.
There are in the t, 3 stores, cap. $10,200; 1 tannery, 1
distillery, 1 brewery, 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $14,600. 7 sch.
385 scholars. Pop. l,370.
Big Hatchy, r, Tenn, after a course of 100 ms. falls into the
Mississippi in Tipton co.
Big Hollow, p-o, Windham t, Greene co, N. Y, 54 s. by w. Albany,
Big Island, p-t, Marion co, O, 47 w. by n. Columbus, 421 W. The
v. contains several stores and 25 or 30 dwellings. In the t. are
1 tannery, 1 distillery, 1 grist m, 3 saw m Cap. m manufac.
$1,400. 3 sch. 120 scholars. Pop of the t. 554.
Big Lick, t, Hancock co, O. 2 sch. 74 scholars.
Big Lick, p-o, Roanoke co, Va, 172 w. Rich- mond, 241 W.
Big Mills, p-o, Dorchester co, Md, 75 s. E. Annapolis, 115 W.
Big Prairie, t. New Madrid co. Mo. 1 acad. 25 students. Pop.
Big Prairie, p-o, Clinton t, Wayne co, O, 84 n. e. Columbus, 353
Big River Mills, p-o, St. Francis co. Mo, 149 s. e. Jefferson
city, 911 W.
Big River, t, Jefferson co. Mo. It has 1 sch. 18 scholars. Pop.
Big Rock, p-o, Sumter co, Ala, 121 s. w. Tuscaloosa, 939 W.
Big Sandy, river, formed by the junction of e. and w. Forks,
rises in Virginia, and enters the Ohio at Catletsburg, Ky . It
forms, in its E. Fork, the boundary between Va. and Ky, for
nearly 200 ms.
Big Spring, p-o, Wilson co, Tenn, 39 e. Nashville, 645 W.
Big Spring, p-o, Breckenridge co, Ky.
Big Spring, p-o., Montgomery co., Mo., 50 n. e. Jefferson city,
Big Springs, t., Seneca co., O. Contains 3 stores, cap. $1,300:
3 sch. 101 scholars. Pop. 925.
Big Spring, p-o., Laporte co., In., 151 n. by w. Indianapolis,
Big Spring Point, p-v., Starkey t., Yates co., N. Y., 192 w.
Albany, 311 W.
Big Swamp, p-o., Bladen co., N. C, 120 s. Raleigh, 408 W.
Big Valley, p-o., Anderson co., Tenn., 184 E. by N. Nashville,
Big Walnut, r., an easterly branch of the Scioto r., Q., 55 ms.
Big Woods, p-o., Calcasieu par., La.
Billerica, p-t., Middlesex co., Ms., 18 N. w. Boston, 7 s. s. e.
Lowell, 450 W. Watered by Concord and Shawsheen rs., which
afford good water power. It has a pleasant village in the centre,
on elevated ground, which contains an academy. The soil is good
and well cultivated, and it has considerable manufactures. The
Middlesex canal and Boston and Lowell railroad pass through the
e. part of the t. It contains 3 churches, 1 Congregationalist, 1
Baptist, and 1 Unitarian. It has 6 stores, cap. $7,300; 2
fulling m., 2 woollen fac, 8 forges, 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 3
grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $41,700. 1 acad. 35
students, 10 sch. 340 scholars. Pop. 1,632.
Billingsville, p-o., Union co., In., 74 e. by s. Indianapolis,
Biloxi, p-v., Harrison co., Miss., 227 s. e. Jackson, 1,155 W.
Situated on Biloxi bay, which sets up from Pascagoula bay, on
the Gulf of Mexico.
Bilton, p-o., Logan co., Va., 376 w. Richmond, 413 W.
Bingham, p-t., Somerset co., Me., 60 n. Augusta, 26 n.
Norridgewock, 655 W. Situated on the E. side of Kennebec r. It
has 3 stores, cap. $3,700; 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$3,700. 10 sch. 358 scholars. Pop. 751.
Bingham, p-t., Potter co., Pa., 181 N. w. Harrisburg, 295 W. It
has 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,900. 5 sch. 98 scholars. Pop.
Bingham, t., Clinton co., Mich.
Binghamton, p-v., Chenango t., capital of Broome co., IN. Y.,
138 s. w. Albany, 296 W. Situated at the junction of the
Chenango and Susquehanna rivers. Incorporated in 1813, and has a
court house, jail, county clerk's office, an academy, 9
churches, 2 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, 2 Methodist, 1
Roman Catholic, and 2 African. It has 45 stores, 4 warehouses, 2
flouring m., 4 saw m., 1 furnace, 1 stave factory, 2 plaster m.,
2 tanneries, 1 plough factory, 1 clothdressing establishment, 1
gun and rifle factory, 2 printing offices, and various other
manufactures. The Chenango canal connects it with the Erie canal
at Utica, and the New York and Erie railroad will pass through
it. There is abridge here over the Susquehanna, and another over
the Chenango. It is surrounded by a rich agricultural country,
and exports a large amount of lumber. Pop. 2,800.
Birchettsville, p-o., Cleveland co., N. C.
Birch Pond, p-o., Fayette co., Tenn., 199 s. w. by w. Nashville,
Birch River, p-o., Nicholas co., Va., 330 n. w. by w. Richmond,
Birdsall, p-t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 225 w. by s. Albany, 8 n.
e. Angelica, 336 W. The surface is undulating and the soil clay
loam. Drained by Black cr. It has 1 saw m., 3 sch. 105 scholars.
Birdsville, p-v., Burke co., Ga., 74 e. Milledgeville, 636 W.
Birmingham, p-b., Warrior Mark t., Huntingdon co., Pa., 107 n.
w. by w. Harrisburg, 166 W, on the w. branch of the Little
Juniata r. There is a lead mine and iron ore near the v. It has
1 church, 40 houses; 6 stores, cap. $13,650. Cap. in manufac.
$4,787. Pop. 235.
Birmingham, t., Delaware co., Pa. It has 2 stores, cap. $1,000;
1 woollen fac, 3 tanneries 2 distilleries, 1 flouring m., 9
grist m., 10 saw m. Cop. in manufac. $16,060. 3 sch. 59
scholars. Pop. 605.
Birmingham, t., Chester co., Pa., has 1 store, cap. 2,500; 1
grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,460. 2 sch. 137 scholars.
Birmingham, p-v., Florence t., Erie co., O., 115 n. by e.
Columbus, 338 W. Situated on the w. bank of Vermillion r. It
contains 1 flouring m., 1 saw m., 1 forge, several stores, and
various mechanic shops, and is a growing village.
Birmingham, p-v., Oakland co., Mich., 19 N. w. Detroit, 543 W.
It is pleasantly situated on one of the head branches of Rouge
r. It has 4 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 furnace, and is
Birmingham, borough, St. Clair t., Alleghany co., Pa. (See
Bishopsville, p-v., Sumpter dist. S. C, 87 n. e. by e. Columbia,
Bissell's, p-o., Geauga co., O., 149 n. e. Columbus, 337 W.
Bistineau, lake, Claiborne par., La., 35 miles long, and about 2
wide, receives Dacheet r., and connects with the Red r., the
waters of which it receives as a reservoir, in the wet season,
and discharges them in the dry.
Bivingsville, p-o., Spartanburg dist., S. C, 101 n. w. Columbia,
Black, t., Posey co., In. It has 10 stores, cap. $186,000; 2
tanneries, 2 flouring m., 3 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 printing
office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $12,500. 10 sch.
300 scholars. Pop. 2,526.
Blackberry, p-o., Kane co., Ill.
Black Bird, p-o., New Castle co., Del., 18 n. Dover, 133 W.
Black Brook, p-t., Clinton co., N. Y., 20 s. w. Plattsburg, 158
n. Albany, 533 W. Surface, hilly and mountainous, covered with
forests, and abounds in iron ore. Drained by the Saranac and Au
Sable rs., and Black brook. It has 6 stores, cap. $14,400; 4
forges, 1 tannery, 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $20,850. 2 sch. 60
scholars. Pop. 1,064.
Black Creek, p-v., New Hudson t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 275 w.
by s. Albany, 325 W. The v. has 1 store, 1 church, and 12 or 15
Black Creek, rises in New Hudson t., Alleghany co., N. Y., and
runs n. e. into the Gene see r. The Genesee Valley canal follows
the valley of this cr. a considerable distance, after leaving
the Genesee r.
Black Creek, p-o., Wayne co., N. C, 73 s. e. Raleigh, 281 W.
Black Creek, p-o., Scriven co., Ga., 128 e. by s. Milledgeville,
Black Creek, t., Mercer co., O. Pop. 339.
Black Creek, p-o., Sullivan co., In., 96 s. w. Indianapolis, 663
Blackface, p-o., Nottaway co., Va.
Blackford, County, In., toward the n. e. part
of the state, contains 182 sq. ms. Established in 1838. The soil
is generally good, and in the s. part excellent. Drained by
Salamanie r. and several small crs. Capital, Blackford C. H.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 1,015, sheep 240, swine 2,902;
wheat 3,259 bush, produced, Ind. corn 22,753, oats 1,579,
potatoes 3,377, sugar 746 lbs., 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Pop. 1,226.
Blackford, C. H., p-v., Hartford t., capital of Blackford co.,
In., 81 n. e. Indianapolis, 552 W.
Black Hawk, p-o., Beaver co., Pa.
Black Hawk, p-o., Carroll co., Miss., 77 n. Jackson, 994 W.
Black Hawk, p-t., Shelby co., In., 34 s. e. Indianapolis, 577 W.
It has 2 stores, cap. $2,500; Pop. 102.
Black Hole, p-o., Lycoming co., Pa., 87 n. by w. Harrisburg, 197
Black Horse, p-o., Chester t., Chester co., Pa., 57 s. E.
Harrisburg, 127 W.
Black Horse, p-o., Hartford co., Md., 57 n. by e. Annapolis, 67
Black Legs, p-o., Indiana co., Pa., 175 w. by N. Harrisburg, 215
Blackleysville, p-v., Plain t, Wayne co., O., 94 n. e. Columbus,
Black Oak, p-o., Charleston dist., S. C, 139 s E. by s.
Columbia, 527 W.
Black Oak, p-o., Tallahatchie co., Miss., 128 Jackson, 975 W.
Black, r., Windsor co., Vt., 35 ms. long, enters Connecticut r.
Black, r., Lorain co., O., formed of 2 branches, which unite
half a mile below Elyria. Just above their junction, they have
each a fall of 45 feet, affording fine mill seats. The united
stream enters Lake Erie.
Black, r., N. Y., the third in size which flows wholly within
the state. It rises in Herkimer co., and after a course of 108
ms., falls into Black r. bay at the foot of Lake Ontario. At
Leyden, in the s. E. part of Lewis county, the r. falls 63 feet,
from which to Carthage, in the s. E. part of Jefferson co., a
distance of 40 ms., the r. is navigable for boats. Below
Carthage to its mouth, it has many rapids, and cannot be
navigated. The land on its borders, in its lower parts, is
exceedingly fertile, and has a dense population. From the foot
of the falls of Leyden, the Black r. canal extends to the Erie
canal at Rome, which, with the river navigation to Carthage,
will, when completed, make a distance in the whole, of 85 miles.
Black, r., N. C, one of the e. branches of Cape Fear r., which
it enters 23 ms. above Wilmington.
Black, r., S. C, the s. w. branch of Great Pedee r., which it
enters 3 ms. above Georgetown.
Black, r., Ark., rises in Missouri, and after re- ceiving
several large rivers from the n. w., enters White r. 80 ms. from
the n. boundary of Arkansas.
Black, r., Mich., has a course of 18 ms., and discharges its
waters into L. Michigan, between Allegan and Ottawa counties. 5
ms. from its mouth, it expands into Black lake, but contracts to
its usual breadth before entering the lake. A fine harbor might
be made at its mouth.
Black River, p-t., Lorain co., O., 130 n. n. e. Columbus, 387 W.
It is a small t., which lies on both sides of Black r., and
adjoins Lake Erie. The v. at the mouth of the r. on Lake Erie,
has a good harbor, and considerable trade. The t. contains 1
foreign commission house, cap. $50,000; 4 retail stores, cap.
$10,750; 2 lumber yards, cap. $38,000. Cap. in manufac. $8,000.
3 sch. 67 scholars. Pop. 668. Black River, t., St. Francis co.,
Mo. Pop. 101. Black River, t., Washington co., Mo. It has 1 sch.
20 scholars. Pop. 685.
Black River, t., Wayne co., Mo. Pop. 528.
Black River, t., Independence co., Ark. It has 1 grist m. Pop.
Black River, t., Lawrence co., Ark. Pop. 100.
Black River, p-o., Rutland t., Jefferson co., N. Y.
Black River Chapel, p-o., New Hanover co., N. C, 126 s. by e.
Raleigh, 356 W.
Black Rock, p-v., Black Rock t., Erie co., N. Y., near the foot
of Lake Erie, 21 ms. below the city of Buffalo, of which it may
be considered a suburb, and with which it is connected by a
railroad; 290 Albany by land, 316 by the Erie canal, 383 W.
Incorporated 1837. It contains 300 dwellings, and about 1,800
inhabitants. It has 1 church, 10 stores and groceries, 5
warehouses, 4 flouring m. with 25 run of stones, 2 saw m., 2 oil
m., 2 distilleries, 1 iron foundry, 1 machine shop, and various
other manufacturing establishments. The harbor is formed by an
immense stone pier, or mole, projecting into Niagara r., built
by the state of New York, for the double purpose of forming a
safe and convenient harbor for vessels on the lake, and canal
boats which here enter the lake, and also for securing to the
Erie canal an abundance of water, directly from the lake,
eastward, as far as Montezuma, nearly half its entire length. By
means of the mole, an immense water power is obtained at Black
Rock. There were received in 1840, 511,984 bushels of wheat, and
244,700 barrels of flour manufactured. There is a ferry here
across to Waterloo in Canada.
Black Rock, t., Erie co., N. Y. It extends on 3 sides of
Buffalo, from which it is centrally distant 3 ms. The surface is
mostly undulating, with an alluvial soil intermixed with clay.
Squaw and Strawberry islands, each containing about 100 acres,
belong to this t. It has 10 sch. 396 scholars. Pop. 3,625.
Black Rock, p-o., Rappahannock co., Va., 131 n. n. w. Richmond,
Blacks, p-o., Waldo co., Me., 53 E. Augusta, 647 W.
Blacks and Whites, p-o., Nottaway co., Va., 60 s. w. Richmond,
Black's Bluff, p-o., Wilcox co., Ala., 109 s. by e. Tuscaloosa,
Blacksburg, p-o., Montgomery co., Va., 212 s. w. Richmond, 278
Blacksnake Hills, p-o., Buchanan co., Mo.
Black Stocks, p-o., Chester dist., S. C, 46 N. by w. Columbia,
Blackstone, p-o., Worcester co., Mass., 40 s. w. Boston, 418 W.
Blackstone, r., or Pawtucket, rises in Worcester co., Mass., and
enters Providence, R. I., where it affords a great water power,
and has given birth to numerous factories. The Blackstone canal
from Worcester to Providence, follows the course of this r. This
canal is 45 miles long, was completed in 1829, and cost
Black's Store, p-o., Tippah co., Miss., 224 Jackson, 858 W.
Blacksville, p-v., Monongalia co., Va., 300 N. w. Richmond, 233
W. Situated at the junction of Robert's Run and Drunkard's cr.,
50 miles from its entrance into the Monongahela r. The village
is on the line between Va. and Pa., and contains 2 stores, 1
tannery, several mechanic shops, and 12 or 14 dwellings. The
creek is navigable to this place, and boat building is carried
on. The country around is uneven, but very fertile.
Black Swamps, p-o., Sandusky co., O., 113 N. Columbus, 431 W.
Blackville, p-o., Bamwell dist., S. C, 90 s. s. w. Columbia, 594
Black Walnut, p-o., Halifax co.,Va., 138 s. w. Richmond, 225 W.
Black Warrior, r., Ala., is formed by 2 head branches, Locust
Fork or Eastern Branch, and Mulberry r., which unite in the s.
w. part of Jackson co. Below their junction the r. passes
Tuscaloosa, and after a course of 80 miles enters the Tombigbee.
The whole course of the r. to its extreme source is about 160
ms. It is navigable for steamboats to Tuscaloosa, and for boats
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!