Bradford NY to Bridgeport, CT
Bradford, t., Steuben co., N. Y., 204 w. s. w. Albany Surface
uneven, soil good. It has 3 stores, cap. $11,000; 1 tannery, 1
distillery, 3 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,875. 9 sch.
396 scholars. Pop. 1,547.
Bradford, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., 94 N. E. Augusta, 689 W. It
has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $3,100. 7 sch. 396 scholars. Pop. 1,000.
Bradford, p-t., Merrimac co., N. H., 25 w. Concord, 472 W.
Situated about midway between Merrimac and Connecticut rs. It
contains several large ponds. Incorporated in 1787. It has 6
stores, cap. $17,500; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $6,550. 1 acad. 52 students, 9 sch. 386 scholars. Pop.
Bradford, p-t., Orange co., Vt., 32 s. e. Montpelier, 512 W. It
lies on Connecticut r. There is a small manufacturing v. on
Waits r. half a mile from its mouth, where there are a number of
neat houses and various mills. The first globes ever
manufactured in the United States, were made here. It has 5
stores, cap. $21,000; 2 fulling m., 1 woollen fac, 1 tannery, 1
paper fac, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $47,200. 1
acad. 158 students, 10 sch. 447 scholars. Pop. 1,655.
Bradford, p-t., Essex co., Ms., 35 n. Boston, 466 W. It lies on
Merrimac r. The surface is uneven, but the soil is good.
Johnson's creek affords water power. A bridge across the
Merrimac, 650 feet long, connects this place with Haverhill. It
has various manufactures, chiefly of boots and shoes. It has 3
churches — 2 Congregational and 1 free; 12 stores, cap. $13,500;
4 tanneries, 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $76,000;
$65,700 of which is in leather manufactured. 4 academies, 216
students, 10 sch. 1,105 scholars. Pop. 2,222.
Bradford, p-o., Washington t., Scioto co., O., 92 s. Columbus,
Bradford, County, Pa., in the N. e. part of the
state, contains 1,200 square ms. The n. branch of Susquehanna
river passes through it, and receives in the n. part the Chemung
r. It has also Towanda and Sugar creeks. The surface is, to a
considerable extent, mountainous, though there is much good
land, particularly in the vicinity of the Susquehanna.
Bituminous coal is found on Towanda cr. The capital is Towanda.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 34,099, sheep 68,767, swine
23,283; wheat 154,266 bush, produced, rye 45,738, Ind. corn
140,632, buckwheat 77,863, oats 220,993, potatoes 363,412; 91
stores, cap. $328,874; 2 furnaces, 15 fulling m., 7 woollen fac,
18 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 43 grist mills, 213 saw m., 1 oil
m., 4 printing offices, 4 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
$331,990. 3 acad. 179 students, 190 sch. 7,948 scholars. Pop.
1830, 19,669; 1840, 32,769.
Bradford, t., McKean co., Pa. It has 1 store, cap. $300; 1
tannery, 2 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,800. 4
schools, 73 scholars. Pop. 375.
Bradford, t., Lincoln co., Mo. It has 1 acad. 72 students. Pop.
Bradford Springs, p-o., Sumter district, S. C, 48 e. Columbia,
Bradfordville, p-v., Marion county, Ky., 68 Frankfort, 590 W.
Bradley, County, Tenn., in the s. e. part of
the state. Drained by Hiawassie r. and branches. Surface
mountainous, fertile land on the margins of streams. Capital,
Cleveland. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,426, sheep 3,417,
swine 19,136; wheat 16,854 bushels produced, rye 908, Indian
corn 420,968, oats 48,480, potatoes 10,450, tobacco 13,335
pounds, cotton 21,669, sugar 2,481; 15 stores, cap. $57,900; 5
tanneries, 6 distilleries, 11 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $11, 225. 2 academies, 80 students, 11 schools, 172
scholars. Pop. whites 6,971, slaves 401, free col'd 13; total,
Bradley, t., Penobscot co., Me. It has 20 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $157,000. 125 scholars. Pop. 395.
Bradleyvale, t., Caledonia co., Vt. It has 1 sch. 18 scholars.
Bradleyville, p-o., Sumter dist., S. C, 77 e. Columbia, 513 W.
Bradshaw, p-o., Giles county, Tenn., 84 s. w. Nashville, 744 W.
Brady, t., Clearfield co., Pa. Pop. 692.
Brady, t., Williams co., O., on Tiffins r. It has 2 stores, cap.
$800; 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 sch. 25 scholars. Pop. 351.
Brady, p-t., Kalamazoo co., Mich., 146 w. Detroit, 608 W.
Drained by Portage r. It has 4 stores, cap. $29,000; 2 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $2,300. 4 sch. 159 scholars. Pop. 1,175.
Bradyville, p-v., Cannon county, Tenn., 56 s. e. Nashville, 661
Braggs, p-o., Lowndes co., Ala., 120 Tuscaloosa, 877 W.
Brainard's Bridge, p-v., Nassau t., Rensselaer co. N. Y., 16 n.
e. Albany, 369 W. It contains 1 Methodist church, 1 store, 1
cotton fac, and 40 dwellings. Pop. 200.
Braintree, p-t., Orange co., Vt., 23 s. Montpelier, 494 W.
Watered by branches of White r. It is a good grazing t. It has 2
stores, cap. $4,500; 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 10 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $10,400. 12 sch. 460 scholars. Pop. 1,232.
Braintree, p-t., Norfolk co., Ms., 14 s. Boston, 442 W. The
surface is diversified, and the soil a fertile gravelly loam. It
has considerable manufactures, and some shipping employed in the
coasting trade and the fisheries. Mantiquot river affords water
power. A fine granite is obtained here. First settled in 1625,
incorporated in 1640. It has 1 Congregational and 1 Unitarian
church. The elder President Adams was born here. It has 16
stores, cap. $24,300; 1 woollen fac, 1 cotton fac 1,000 sp., 1
tannery, 1 paper factory, 6 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $124,145.
13 schools, 564 scholars. Pop. 2,168.
Braintrem, p-t., Luzerne co., Pa., 163 n. n. w. Harrisburg, 273
W. The surface is hilly; soil, gravel and alluvion. Exports
lumber down the Susquehanna, which bounds it on the south. It
has three stores, cap. $10,650; 1 fulling m., 3 grist m., 6 saw
m. Capital in manufac. $10,600. 6 sch. 275 scholars. Pop. 1,355.
Bralsville, v., Monroe co., O. Pop. 194. Braman's Corners, p-o.,
Duanesburgh town, Schenectady county, N. Y., 35 w. N. w. Albany,
Branch, County, Mich., in the s. part of the
state, contains 528 sq. ms. Drained by branches of St. Joseph's
r. The surface is rolling, and the soil a rich sandy loam.
Capital, Branch. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,211, sheep
744, swine 13,224; wheat 67,317 bushels produced, Indian corn
89,085, buckwheat 1,189, barley 4,073, oats 70,222, potatoes
74,243, sugar 46,005 pounds; 11 stores, capital $48,000; 1
furnace, 1 brewery, 3 flouring m., 5 grist m., 15 saw m., 1
printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Capital in manufactures,
$107,250. 47 schools, 789 scholars. Population, 5,715.
Branch, p-v., Coldwater t., capital of Branch co., Mich., 113 w.
s. w. Detroit, 561 W. Situated on the w. branch of Coldwater r.
Branch, t., Schuylkill co., Pa. It has 8 stores, cap. $42,300; 1
brewery, 2 grist m., 14 saw mills; 103,500 tons of anthracite
coal produced; 3 sch. 145 scholars. Pop. 1,422.
Branch Port, p-v., Jerusalem t., Yates co., N. Y., 201 w.
Albany, 327 W. Situated on the w. branch of Crooked Lake. It has
1 Presbyterian and 1 Baptist church, 3 stores, 25 dwellings, and
about 125 inhabitants.
Branchville, p-v., Frankford t., Sussex co., N. J., 77 n.
Trenton, 246 W. A branch of Paulinskill affords mill seats.
Branchville, p-o., Orangeburg dist., S. C, 62 s. Columbia, 568
Branchville, p-o., St. Clair co., Ala., 108 n. E. Tuscaloosa,
Brandenburg, p-v., capital of Mead co., Ky., 94 w. by s.
Frankfort, 634 W. Situated on the south bank of the Ohio r. It
contains a court house and several stores and dwellings.
Brandon, p-t., Rutland co., Vt., 48 s. w. Montpelier, 16 s.
Middlebury, 472 W. Otter creek passes through it, and Mill
river, a branch of it, furnishes good water power. Excepting on
Otter creek, where the land is rich, much of the soil is rather
light. Bog iron ore and marble are found. First settled, 1775.
It has 6 stores, cap. $20,000; 1 tannery, 4 furnaces, 1 printing
office. Capital in manufac. $4,550. 1 acad. 80 students, 13
schools, 783 scholars. Pop. 2,194.
Brandon, p-v., capital of Rankin co., Miss., 13 E. Jackson, to
which it is connected by railroad, 1003 W. It contains a court
house, several stores and dwellings.
Brandon, t., Oakland co., Mich. Drained by head waters of Flint
r. Pop. 442.
Brandon, t., Franklin co., N. Y., 10 s. w. Malone, 215 n. by w.
Albany, is a rough town, covered mostly with forest, with
several lakes in its s. part. Drained by Saranac, St. Regis, and
Racket rs. It has 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,050. 5 sch. 192
scholars. Pop. 531.
Brandonville, p-v., Preston co., Va., 267 N. w. Richmond, 189 W.
Brand's Iron Works, p-o., Washington co., R. I., 28 s. by w.
Providence, 380 W.
Brandt, t., Erie co., N. Y., is situated on Lake Erie, 20 s. s.
w. Buffalo, 300 w. Albany. The surface is hilly, and the soil, a
moist clay and gravelly loam, fertile in grass and grain. It has
1 store, 6 sch. 219 scholars. Pop. 1,088.
Brandy, t, Williams co., O. It has 1 school, 25 scholars. Pop.
Brandywine Creek, Pa. and Del., rises near the boundary between
Lancaster co. and Chester co., Pa., and flows through Delaware;
and after uniting with Christiana creek, it enters the Delaware
river, forming the harbor of Wilmington. It furnishes many
excellent mill seats, and is navigable to Brandywine v. and
mills, where there is 6 or 8 feet of water, at high tide.
Brandywine, p-o., Prince George's co., Md., 40 s. w. Annapolis,
Brandywine, t., Hancock co., In. It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m.
Cap. in manufactures $1,900 Pop. 693.
Brandywine, p-o., Shelby co., In., 20 s. E. In dranapolis, 570
Brandywine, t., Chester co., Pa. Watered by Brandywine and
Beaver creeks. It has 6 stores cap. $7,200; 1 fulling m., 2
tanneries, 1 distillery 1 flouring mill, 2 grist m., 5 saw m., 1
paper fac Cap. in manufac. $7,815. 6 schools, 300 scholars Pop.
Brandywine, hundred, New Castle co., Del It has 9 stores, cap.
$5,600; 1 woollen fac, 3 cotton fac. 7,212 sp., 5 flouring m., 4
grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. 232,950. 7 sch. 415
scholars. Pop. 3,387.
Brandywine Manor, p-o., Chester co., Pa. 60 s. e. Harrisburg,
Brandywine Mills, p-v., Northfield t., Summit co., O., 141 n E.
Columbus, 341 W. Here is a saw m., carding machine, woollen
factory, and several houses.
Branford, p-t., New Haven co., Ct., 43 s. by w. Hartford, 7 e.
New Haven, 307 W. It lies on Long Island Sound. Settled in 1644.
Drained by Branford r., which is navigable a short distance for
small vessels. The surface is uneven, and the soil fertile. A
beautiful pond, called Saltonstall's Lake, lies on its w.
border, between this town and East Haven. Thimble and Indian
islands are within its limits, in Long Island Sound. It contains
3 churches — 1 Congregational, 1 Baptist, and 1 Episcopal. It
has 7 stores, capital $11,800; 1 tannery, 1 paper fac, 1 grist
m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $27,000. 1 acad. 60 students, 7
sch. 319 scholars. Pop. 1,322.
Brantingham, p-o., Greig t., Lewis co., N. Y., 136 n. w. Albany,
Brashearville, p-o., Perry co., Ky., 166 s. E. by e. Frankfort,
Brasher Falls, p-v., Brasher t., St. Lawrence county, N. Y.
Situated on Deer river, where are falls and rapids furnishing
extensive water power, around which is a small manufacturing
settlement. There are in the t. 3 stores, cap. $9,700; 1
furnace, 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$3,900. 13 sch. 426 scholars. Pop. 2,118.
Brass Bell, p-o., Pendleton co., Ky.
Brattleborough, p-t., Windham co., Vt, 121 s. Montpelier, 76 E.
Albany 95 w. n. w. Boston, 422 W. Situated on the w. bank of the
Connecticut r. Settled in 1724, and called Fort Dummer: the
earliest settlement in the state. It has an e. and w. village.
The e. village is a beautiful and flourishing place, and for
business and wealth is surpassed by few villages in the state.
The Whetstone branch here furnishes extensive water power, just
before its entrance into the Connecticut r. Among its
manufactures, "The Brattleboro Typographic Co.," established in
1836, with a capital of $150,000, deserves to be mentioned. They
have a paper mill and an extensive publishing establishment, and
have issued many large and valuable works, which have been
widely diffused. It has 20 stores, capital $99,500; 3 tanneries,
1 furnace, 1 paper fac, 3 grist m., 7 saw m., 3 printing
offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $237,600. 2 acad.
245 students, 16 sch. 838 scholars. Pop. 2,624.
Bratton's, p-o., Smith co., Tenn., 54 n e. Nashville, 663 W.
Brattonsville, p-o., York dist., S. C, 96 Columbia, 440 W.
Braxton, County, Va., lies n. w. of the
Allehany mountains, m the n. w. part of the state, watered by
Elk and Little Kanawha rivers. There were in 1840, neat cattle
2,890, sheep 3,097, swine 5,614; wheat 8,960 bush, produced,
Ind. corn 68,627, oats 20,929, potatoes 5,844, tobacco 4,155
pounds, sugar 19,420, domestic salt 4,000 bushels; 2 stores,
cap. $10,500; 2 tanneries, 5 distilleries, 20 grist m., 20 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $21,007. Pop. 1840, whites 2,509, slaves,
64, free col'd 2; total, 2,575.
Braxton, C. H., p-v., capital of Braxton co., Va., 321 w. n. w.
Richmond, 289 W. Situated on n. side of Elk r. It contains a
court house and a few dwellings.
Breckenridge, county, Ky., in the n. part of the state, contains
700 square ms. Bounded by Green r., s., by branches of which it
is watered. Capital, Hardensburg. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 8,557, sheep 13,846, swine 23,951; wheat 75,430 bush,
prod., rye 3,028, Ind. corn 356,352, oats 119,032, potatoes
20,527, tobacco 1,807,104 pounds, sugar 4,115, 29 stores, cap.
$196,000; 8 tanneries, 1 distillery, 2 flouring m., 15 grist m.,
12 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $40,525. 1 acad. 52
students. Pop. 1830, 7,345; 1840, whites 7,239, slaves 1,691,
free col'd 14; total, 8,944.
Breakneck, p-o., Butler co., Pa., 219 w.
by N. Harrisburg, 257 W.
Breathitt, County, Ky., in the e. part of the
state. Contains 700 sq. miles. Drained by the n. fork of
Kentucky r. and branches. Surface hilly and mountainous, soil on
the margins of the streams, moderately fertile. Capital,
Breathitt. There were in 1840, neat cattle 3,517, sheep 2,294,
swine 9,674; wheat 1,628 bushels produced; Ind. corn 91.185,
oats 7,749, potatoes 2,994, tobacco 2,648 pounds, cotton 4,270,
sugar 12,377; 21,017 bushels bituminous coal produced; 9
distilleries, 9 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $900. Pop.
whites 2,076, slaves 119; total, 2,195.
Breathitt, C. H., p-o., capital of Breathitt co., Ky., 121 e. s.
E. Frankfort, 530 W. Situated on the N. e. side of Kentucky r.
Brean's Bridge, p-o., St. Martin's par., La., 188 w. New
Orleans, 1,271 W.
Brecknock, t., Lancaster co., Pa. Drained by the branches of
Marshy cr., which afford mill seats. Surface hilly; sou, red
shale. It has 2 stores, cap, $5,500; 1 fulling m., 1 woollen
fac, 1 tannery, 2 flouring m., 4 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $3,700. 5 sch. 145 scholars. Pop. 732.
Brecknock, t., Berks co., Pa. The surface is hilly; soil,
gravel. Drained by Big and Little Muddy creeks. It has 1 store,
1 tannery, 3 grist am., 3 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$1,350. Pop. 935.
Breedings, p-o., Adair co., Ky., 132 s. by w. Frankfort, 626 W.
Breesville, p-o., Jackson co., Ill., 177 s. by e. Springfield,
Bremen, p-t., Lincoln co., Me., 40 s. E. Augusta, 15 e. s. E.
Wiscasset, recently taken from the E. part of Bristol t. It is
extensively bordered hy navigable waters. It has 4 stores,
capital $7,500; 1 fulling m., 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $4,350. 7 sch. 250 scholars. Pop. 837.
Bremen, p-v., Rush creek t., Fairfield co., O., 39 s. e.
Columbus, 364 W.
Bremen, p-o., Muhlenburg co., Ky., 182 w. s w. Frankfort, 724 W.
Bremo, p-o., Callaway county, Ky., 263 s. w. Frankfort, 790 W.
Brent's, p-o., Henry co., Ky., 36 n. w. Frankfort, 578 W.
Brentsville, C. H., p-o., capital of Prince William co., Va.,
101 n. Richmond, 45 W.
Brentwood, p-t., Rockingham co., N. H., 35 s. E. Concord, 485 W.
The soil is adapted chiefly to grazing. Exeter r. passes through
it, and furnishes by its falls valuable mill seats .
Incorporated in 1742. Iron ore and vitriol combined with sulphur
have been found here. It has 2 stores, cap. $2,000; 1 fulling
m., 1 cotton fac. 500 sp., 1 tannery, 4 grist m., 4 saw m., 4
schools, 25 scholars. Pop. 898.
Brest, p-v., Frenchtown t., Monroe county, Michigan, 33 s. by w.
Detroit, 6 Monroe, 491 W. Situated at the mouth of Stony creek.
It has 1 saw in., 1 store, and a number of dwellings.
Brewer, p-t., Penobscot county, Me., 70 E. n. e. Augusta, 665 W.
It lies on the e. side of Penobscot r. Separated from Orrington
in 1812. Watered by a small stream which affords valuable water
power, on which are mills. It is accessible for vessels by the
Penobscot r. It has 4 stores, can. $4,500; 3 tanneries, 1 rope
fac, 1 grist m., b saw m. Cap. in manufac. $16,500. 13 schools,
741 scholars. Pop. 1,736.
Brewer, t., Pike county, Ark. Pop. 284.
Brewerton, p-v., Cicero t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 144 w. n. w.
Albany, 362 W. It has 1 store, 40 dwellings, and 300
inhabitants. There is here a toll bridge over Oneida r.
Brewerton, p-o., Laurens dist., S. C, 95 n. w. Columbia, 523 W.
Brewer Village, p-o., Brewer t., Penobscot co., Me., 72 e. n. e.
Augusta, 667 W.
Brewington, p-o., Sumter dist., S. C, 81 E. by s. Columbia, 517
Brewster, p-t., Barnstable co., Ms., 90 s. E. Boston, 16 e. by
N. Barnstable, 499 W It lies on Cape Cod Bay, and was separated
from the n. part of Harwich in 1830. A stream issuing from a
large pond affords mill seats. It has considerable manufactures;
but the inhabitants are chiefly employed in the fisheries. It
has 4 churches — 1 Congregational, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 1
Unitarian; 7 stores, cap. $15,000; 3 tanneries, 2 grist m. Cap.
in manufac. $12,888. 6 sch. 578 scholars. Pop. 1,522.
Brewster's Ferry, p-o., Stephenson co., Ill., 216 n.
Springfield, 848 W.
Brickersville, p-o., Lancaster co., Pa., 30 e. s. e. Harrisburg,
Brickland, p-o., Lunenburg co., Va., 95 s. s. w. Richmond, 211
Brick Meeting House, p-o., Cecil co., Md., 78 n. e. Annapolis,
Bricksville, p-t., Cuyahoga co., O., 140 n. e. Columbus, 353 W.
The Cuyahoga r. and the Ohio canal pass through the n. e. corner
of the t. The soil is fertile. It has 1 store, cap. $8,000; 2
fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 flouring m., 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $1,100. 7 sch. 405 scholars. Pop. 1,124.
Brickville, p-o., Lawrence co., Ala., 141 E. by n. Tuscaloosa,
Bridesburg, p-v., Philadelphia co., Pa., 153 E. by s.
Harrisburg, 333 W.
Bridge Creek, p-o., Geauga co., O., 256 n. e. Columbus, 336 W.
Bridgehampton, p-v., Southampton t., Suffolk co., N. Y., 54 s.
s. e. Albany, 283 W. It is an agricultural settlement in the
eastern part of Long Island, and contains 1 church, 1 store, 2
wind mills, and 15 or 20 dwellings.
Bridgeport, city and p-t., Fairfield co., Ct., 75 s. s. w.
Hartford, 17 w. s. w. New Haven, 62 n. e. N. York, 270 W. The t,
which contains 10 square miles, was separated from Stratford in
1821. The city was incorporated in 1836. It stands on the w.
side of an arm of Long Island sound, into the head of which
Pequanock river, a considerable mill stream, enters. The harbor
is 80 rods wide at high water, but not more than 12 of it has
water at low tide. The bar, at its mouth, has 13 feet at high
tide. There is a lighthouse on Fairweather Island. A mile and a
half above its entrance, the harbor is crossed by a toll bridge,
1,237 feet long. The ground on which the city is built is
elevated about 12 feet above high water, n. w. of the city
another more elevated plain commences, which gradually rises to
the height of 50 feet above the lower town, which affords a fine
prospect of the sound and surrounding country. The city is
neatly built, and contains 6 churches, — 2 Congregationalists, 1
Episcopal, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist, and 1 Roman Catholic. It
has 2 banks, and 20 vessels engaged in the coasting trade, and 5
in the fisheries. Its manufactures, particularly of carriages
and saddles, are extensive. The Housatonic railroad connects
this place with West Stockbridge, where it meets the railroad
from Boston to Albany. Daily steamboats connect it with New
York. It contains 73 stores, capital $323,500; 6 fulling m., 1
woollen fac, 1 cotton fac. 3,500 sp., 2 tanneries, 1 pottery, 1
ropewalk, 2 grist m., 3 printing offices, 2 weekly papers. Cap.
in manufactures $436,300. 8 acad. 263 students, 13 sch. 564
scholars. Pop. 4,570.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!