Brownsville MD to Bull Creek, VA
Brownsville, p-v., Washington co., Md.,
95 N. w. Annapolis, 63 W.
Brownsville, p-v., Licking t., Licking co., O., 40 e. Columbus,
353 W. It is on the national road, and contains 5 stores, 2
churches, 2 tanneries, 17 mechanic shops, and 80 dwellings. It
has an extensive trade in wheat and tobacco.
Brownsville, p-v., capital Edmonson co., Ky., 132 s. w.
Frankfort, 663 W. Situated on the s. side of Green r., contains
a court house, jail, several stores and dwellings, and 112
Brownsville, p-v., Granville co., N. C, 64 N. Raleigh, 267 W.
Brownsville, p-o., Marborough dist., S. C, 131 n. e., Columbia,
Brownsville, p-v., Talladega co., Ala., 141 E. by N. Tuscaloosa,
Brownsville, p-v., Union co., In., 68 e. by s. Indianapolis, 511
Brownsville, p-v., capital of Jackson co., Ill., 177 s.
Springfield, 842 W. Situated on the N. side of Big Muddy r. It
is 12 ms. by land, and 25 by water from the Mississippi, and is
surrounded by hills. It contains 25 or 30 families.
Brownsville, p-o., Haywood co., Tenn., 164 w. s. w. Nashville,
Brownsville, p-o., Saline co., Mo., 100 n. w. Jefferson city,
Brownsville, v., Monroe co., Ga. Situated 11 ms., w. of the
Ocmulgee r. It contains 1 Methodist church, and a few dwellings.
Brownsville, p-v., Hinds co., Miss., 20 w. Jackson, 1,030 W.
Browntown, p-v., Bradford co., Pa., 153 n. Harrisburg, 263 W.
Bruce, p-t., Macomb co., Mich., 58 n. Detroit, 563 W. It has a
productive soil, 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,000. 1 acad. 15
students, 4 sch. 150 scholars. Pop. 1,128.
Bruce, p-o., Hamilton co., Tenn., 147 s. e. Nashville, 603 W.
Bruce's Valley, p-o., Susquehanna co., Pa., 164 n. by e.
Harrisburg, 274 W.
Brucetown, p-o., Frederick co., Va., 154 n. n. w. Richmond, 78
Bruceville, p-v., Carroll co., Md., 79 n. w. Annapolis, 62 W.
Bruceville, p-o., Knox co., In., 119 s. w. Indianapolis, 686 W.
Bruington, p-v., King and Queen co., Va., 42 n. e. Richmond, 127
Bruins Cross Roads, Park co., In., 58 w. Indianapolis, 629 W.
Bruly Landing, p-o., West Baton Rouge par., La.
Brumfieldville, p-v., Berks co., Pa., 62 e. n. e. Harrisburg,
Brummels, p-o., Davidson co., N. C, 103 w. Raleigh, 324 W.
Brunersburg, p-o., Williams co., O., 156 N. w. Columbus, 508 W.
Brunerstown, p-o., Putnam co., In., 55 Indianapolis, 620 W.
Brunnett's Creek, p-o., White co., In., 83 n. by w.
Indianapolis, 622 W.
Brunswick, County, Va. Situated in the s. part
of the state, contains 676 sq. ms. Drained by Roanoke r. and its
branches. Capital, Lawrenceville. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 10,801, sheep 6,279, swine 18,950; wheat 26,963 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 328,801, oats 115,842, potatoes 15,711,
tobacco 2,140,813 pounds, cotton 12,699; 19 stores, cap.
$56,000; 5 tanneries, 1 furnace, 4 flouring m., 19 grist m., 2
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $24,700. 7 acad. 156 students, 7 sch.
126 scholars. Pop. 1830, 15,770; 1840, whites 4,978, slaves
8,805, free col'd 563; total, 14,346.
Brunswick, County, N. C, in s. part of the
state, lying on Cape Fear r. and on the Atlantic ocean. It
contains 1,344 sq. ms. The surface is flat and marshy, and the
soil poor. Capital, Smithville. There were in 1840, neat cattle
7,237, sheep 1,889, swine 9,512; Ind. corn 36,357 bush,
produced, potatoes 47,426, rice 949,755 pounds, cotton 7,868,
pitch, &c. 4,867; 4 stores, cap. $9,800; 17 grist m., 4 saw m.,
7 sch. 106 scholars. Pop. 1830, 6.523; 1840, whites 2,772,
slaves 2,119, free col'd 374; total, 5,265.
Brunswick, p-t., Cumberland co., Me., 30 s. by w. Augusta, 7 w.
Bath, 26 n. e. Portland, 141 N. n. E. Boston, 570 W. 43° 53' n.
lat., 69° 55' w. lon. It is situated on the s. side of the
Androscoggin r., at the lower falls, where there is extensive
water power. The river below is navigable for gondolas to Bath.
A great amount of lumber comes down the Androscoggin. There are
13 saw m., and a cotton fac. at this place. A bridge connects it
Bowdoin college, a well endowed and flourishing institution, is
located here. It was founded in 1794, has a president and 10
professors or other instructors, 649 alumni, 165 students, and
20,000 volumes in its libraries. A prosperous medical school is
attached to the institution, which has 4 professors and 70
students. Its philosophical apparatus, and its cabinets of
mineralogy and natural history, are very complete. The
commencement is on the first Wednesday in September. The t. has
30 stores, cap. $34,150; 1 fulling m., 1 woollen fac, 1 cotton
fac. 4,000 sp., 2 tanneries, 1 pottery, 1 flouring m., 5 grist
m., 13 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 periodical. Cap. in manufac.
$220,825. 2 acad. 66 students, 32 sch. 1,065 scholars. Pop.
Brunswick, p-t., Essex co., Vt., 86 n. e. Montpelier, 583 W. It
lies on Connecticut r. Nulhegan r. and Paul's stream pass
through the t. and furnish good water power. It has two
considerable ponds, which discharge their waters into
Connecticut r. It has cap. in manufac. $100. 3 sch. 47 scholars.
Brunswick, t., Rensselaer co., N. Y., 4 e. Troy, 10 n. e.
Albany. The surface is hilly. Drained by Poestenkill r. and its
tributaries. It has 4 stores, cap. $2,700; 1 fulling m., 1
woollen fac, 2 tanneries, 1 flouring m., 1 grist m., 6 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $8,400. 15 sch. 599 scholars. Pop. 3,051.
Brunswick, p-v., port of entry and capital of Glynn co., Ga.,
233 s. e. Milledgeville, 742 W. Situated on Turtle r. It has a
spacious and safe harbor, having 13 feet water on the bar, at
the lowest tides. It is 13 ms. above the bar, and 8 ms. above
the light-house, on St. Simon's Island. It has a court house,
jail, and about 30 houses and stores. Tonnage 1840, 1,494.
Brunswick, p-t., Medina co., O., 25 s. w: Cleveland, 120 n. e.
Columbus, 355 W. It has 4 stores, cap. $4,600; 1 tannery, 4 saw
m. Cap. in manufac $4,650. 8 sch. 297 scholars. Pop. 1,110.
Brunswick, p-v., Chariton co., Mo., 102 n. w. Jefferson city,
996 W. Situated on the n. bank of Missouri r., 1 mile below the
mouth of Grand River.
Brush Creek, p-o., Green co., Ky.
Brush Creek, t., Highland co., O. Drained by Brush cr. It has 8
sch. 400 scholars. Pop. 1,502.
Brush Creek, t., Jefferson co., O. Pop. 757.
Brush Creek, t., Muskingum co., O. It has 1 church, 4 flouring
m., 4 saw m., several salt fac, and is a very flourishing t.
Brush Creek, t., Sciota co., O. Pop. 401
Brush Creek, t., Washington co., Ark 1 sch. 9 scholars. Pop.
Brush Hill, p-v., Dupage co., Ill., 188 Springfield, 735 W.
Brushy Creek, p-o., Cleveland co., N. C, 200 w. by s. Raleigh,
Brushy Creek, p-o., Anderson dist., S. C, 216 w. s. w. Columbia,
Brushy Fork, p-o., Breckenridge co., Ky., 106 w. s. w.
Frankfort, 646 W.
Bruynswick, p-o., Ulster co., N. Y., 85 s. s. w. Albany, 300 W.
Brutus, t., Ingham co., Mich. Pop. 97.
Brutus, t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 7 n. Auburn, 153 w. by n. Albany.
The surface is hilly; the soil, a well cultivated clay and sandy
loam. Gypsum and limestone are found here. Drained by Branch
creek and Cold Spring, streams which flow n. into Seneca r. The
Erie canal passes through the place, on which, in the t., the
village of Weedsport it situated. There are in the t., 13
stores, cap. $27,400; 2 fulling m., 2 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $36,150. 15 sch. 751 scholars. Pop. 2,044.
Bryan, County, Ga., in the s. e. part of the
state, on the Atlantic. The Ogeechee r. bounds it on the n. e.
It contains 480 sq. ms. The Cannouchee r. passes through it.
Such is the marshy nature of the soil, that the roads are made
with great expense. It has 4 acad. 65 students. Pop. 3,182.
Bryan, p-v., Pulaski t., capital of Williams co., O., situated
near the centre of the co.
Bryansburg, p-v., Jefferson co., In., 83 s. e. Indianapolis, 563
Bryantown, p-v., Charles co., Md., 69 s. w. Annapolis, 10 n. e.
Port Tobacco, 44 W.
Brydee's Store, p-o., Lunenburg co., Va., 83 s. w. Richmond, 202
Buchanan, County, Mo., in the n. w. part of the
state, contains 800 sq. ms. It has the Missouri river on the
western boundary, and the Little Platte river passes south
through the centre of the county. Capital, Sparta. There were in
1840, neat cattle 8,476, sheep 6,071, swine 25,778; wheat 1,884
bush, produced, Ind. corn 194,961, oats 405, potatoes 12,069,
tobacco 3,300 pounds, sugar 209; 14 stores, cap. $34,210; 3
grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,050. 17 sch. 427
scholars. Pop. whites 6,004, slaves 227, free col'd 6; total,
Buchanan, p-o., Birmingham bor., Alleghany co., Pa., 201 w.
Harrisburg, 227 W. (See Pittsburg.)
Buchanan, v., Botetourt co., Va., on James r., opposite to
Pattonsburg, with which it is connected by a fine bridge.
Buchanan, t., Berrien co., Mich., lying on the St. Joseph's r.
It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,000. 3 sch. 57
scholars. Pop. 264.
Buchanan's Ferry, p-o., Calcasieu par., La., 307 w. N. Orleans,
Buchanan's Station, p-o., Ripley co., In. 80 s. e. Indianapolis,
Buchanansville, p-v., Rutherford co., Tenn., 12 m. s. e.
Nashville, 678 w.
Buck, p-o., Lancaster co., Pa., 50 s. e. Harrisburg, 99 w.
Buck, t., Luzerne co., Pa. It has 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$12,800. 1 sch. 45 scholars. Pop. 307.
Buck Bridge, Potsdam t., St. Lawrence co., N. Y., 231 n. w.
Albany, 503 W.
Buck Creek, p-o., Spartansburg dist., S. C, 114 n. w. Columbia,
Buck Creek, t., Hancock co., In. 1 grist m. Has Pop. 224.
Buck Creek, p-o., Tuscaloosa co., 20 Tuscaloosa, 838 W.
Buck Eye, p-o., Putnam co., O., 119 n. w. Columbus, 484 W.
Buck Eye, p-o., Laurens co., Ga., 50 n. by w. Milledgeville, 67S
Buckeyestown, p-v., Frederick co., Md., 81 N. w. Annapolis, 49
Buckfield, p-t., Oxford co., Me., 32 w. by s. Augusta, 50 n. by
w. Portland, 591 W. Watered by a branch of Androscoggin r. The
soil is fertile. It has 8 stores, cap. $10,250; 1 fulling m., 46
tanneries, 4 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $15,011. 1
acad. 25 students, 13 sch. 656 scholars. Pop. 1,629.
Buckhannon, p-o., Lewis co., Mo.
Buckhead, p-o., Fairfield dist., S. C., 44 n. by w. Columbia,
Buckhead, p-o., Morgan co., Ga., 48 n. n. w. Milledgeville, 618
Buckhead Causeway, p-o., Colleton dist, S. C, 113 s. by e.
Columbia, 619 W.
Buckhorn, p-o., Cumberland co., Pa.
Buckingham, p-o., Baltimore co., Md.
Buckingham, t., Wayne co., Pa., on the west bank of the Delaware
r. It has 3 sch. 50 scholars. Pop. 233.
Buckingham, p-t., Bucks co., Pa. 104 E. by n. Harrisburg, 166 W.
Soil, loam, clay, and gravel. It is inhabited chiefly by
Friends. It has a well endowed academy. It contains 7 stores,
cap. $16,500; 1 tannery, 6 grist m., 6 saw m., 2 oil m. Cap. in
manufac. $57,050. 7 sch. 281 scholars. Pop. 2,482.
Buckingham, County, Va., in the lower central
part of the state, lies on James r., and contains 816 sq. ms.
The Appomattox r. runs on its southern border. Capital,
Maysville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 11,881, sheep 14,566,
swine 22,315; wheat 168,771 bush, produced, rye 1,311, Ind. corn
438,913, oats 227,080 potatoes 20,539, tobacco 2,452,520 pounds,
cotton 10,941; 37 stores, cap. $190,825; 1 furnace, 1 woollen
fac, 1 cotton fac, 76 tanneries, 9 distilleries, 22 flouring m.,
52 grist m., 44 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $225,556. 1 college, 97
students, 16 acad. 300 students, 20 sch. 356 scholars. Pop.
1830, 18,351; 1840, whites 7,323, slaves 10,014, free col'd 449;
Buckingham, C. H., p-o., Maysville v., Buckingham co., Va., 79
w. Richmond, 158 W.
Buckland, p-t., Franklin co., Ms., 104 w. by N. Boston, 412 W.
It lies on the s. side of Deerfield r. Incorporated in 1779. It
is a good grazing t. It has 1 store, cap. $3,000; 1 fulling m.,
2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac $1,300. 8 sch.
279 scholars. Pop. 1,084.
Buckland, p-v., Prince William co., Va., Ill N. Richmond, 42 W.
It has an elevated and romantic situation, on Broad Run, on
which are 2 flouring m. It contains 1 church, free to all
denominations, 2 stores, 1 tannery, 1 distillery, and various
mechanics. It has a population of about (con't) 200.
Buckland Corners, p-o., Hartford co., Ct., 6 Hartford, 342 W.
Buckram, p-v., Queens co., N. Y., 179 s. Albany, 259 W. Situated
on Beaver-dam cr. It has Tstore, 2 grist m., and 10 or 15
dwellings. Buck Prairie, p-o., Barry co., Mo. Buck Run, p-o.,
Union co., O., 46 n. by w. Columbus, 436 W.
Bucks, County, Pa., in the s. e. part of the
state, is situated on the Delaware r., contains 546 sq. ms.
Drained by the Neshaminy and Tohickon creeks, and the sources of
the Perkiomen cr. The surface is agreeably diversified, and the
soil various, but highly cultivated. Plumbago or black lead is
found in Southampton t. Capital, Doylestown. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 32,805, sheep 27,244, swine 38,516; wheat 236,915
bush, produced, rye 255,666, Ind. corn 680,123, buckwheat 107,86
1, oats 884,870, potatoes 237,979, silk cocoons 1,280 pounds;
133 stores, cap. $455,000; 10 lumber yards, cap. $67,500; 2
fulling ms., 2 woollen fac, 2 cotton fac. 7,000 sp., 24
tanneries, 2 distilleries, 1 brewery, 22 potteries, 11 flouring
m., 94 grist m., 80 saw m., 15 oil m., 4 printing offices, 4
weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $336,051. 1 college, 30
students, 8 acad. 233 students, 91 sch. 5,696 scholars. Pop.
Bucks, t., Tuscarawas co., O. It has 1 store, cap. $1,500; 1
distillery, 1 grist m., 4 saw m., 6 sch. 570 scholars. Pop.
Bucks, p-o., Columbiana co., O., 153 n. e. Columbus, 285 W.
Bucks, t., St. Joseph co., Mich. Watered by St. Joseph r. It has
2 fulling m., 1 flouring m., 2 saw m., 5 sch. 149 scholars. Pop.
Buck's Shoals, p-o., Rutherford co., N. C, 216 w. by s. Raleigh,
Bucksport, p-t., Hancock co., Me., 58 n. e. by E. Augusta, 654
W. It lies on the e. side of Penobscot r., 15 s. Bangor. It is a
flourishing town, with a fine harbor, and considerable shipping.
The ground on which the village stands ascends gradually from
the river, and the houses are built with neatness and taste. The
harbor has sufficient depth of water for vessels of the largest
class, and is not much obstructed by ice. The lumber trade has
been long and successfully carried on here. The lower ferry
across the Penobscot crosses at this place. It has 5 for. com.
houses, cap. $35,000; 18 ret. stores, cap. $50,000; 1 fulling
m., 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 8 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $15,700.
2 acad. 65 students, 15 sch. 1,371 scholars. Pop. 3,015.
Bucksville, p-o., Horry dist., S. C, 187 e. Columbia, 477 W.
Buck Tooth, p-o., Little Valley t., Cattaraugus county, N. Y.
Bucyrus, p-t., capital of Crawford county, O., 62 n. Columbus,
406 W. Situated on the s. bank of the Sandusky river, and on the
Columbus and Sandusky turnpike. The town is large, populous, and
well cultivated, containing considerable rich prairie land The
village has a brick court house and a U. S. land office, and is
flourishing, containing over 800 inhabitants. There are m the
town 9 sch. 592 scholars. Pop. 1,634.
Buell, p-o., Montgomery county, N. Y., 62 n w. by w. Albany, 387
Buells Lowell, t., Washington county, O Pop. 71.
Buffalo, city and p-t., port of entry, and capital of Erie
county, N. V., lies on the outlet of Lake Erie, at the head of
Niagara river, and on Buffalo creek, which constitutes its
harbor, 288 w. Albany, 363 by the Erie canal; 73 w. Rochester,
22 s. s. e. Niagara Falls, 103 e. Cleveland, O., 381 W. Pop.
1810, 1,508; 1820, 2,095; 1830, 8,653; 1840, 18,213. Employed in
commerce, 771; in manufactures and trades, 1,851; in navigating
the ocean, 71; canals, lakes, and rivers, 347; learned
professions and engineers, 211; 1 academy with 64 students; 28
common and primary schools, with 2,676 scholars. The land rises,
by a very gentle ascent, 2 miles from the water to an extended
plain, and from the elevated parts of the city are fine views of
the lake, of Niagara river, of the Erie canal, and the Canada
shore. The city has broad and regular streets. Main-street is 2
miles long, and 120 feet wide, and is splendidly built with
large stores, dwellings, and hotels, and presents a very
imposing appearance; and other parts of the city are built with
neatness and taste. There are 3 public squares, which add much
to the salubrity and beauty of the city. The public buildings of
the city are a court house, jail, and county clerk's office, 2
markets, in the second story of one of which are the city
offices; 17 churches, of which the Presbyterians have 3, the
Episcopalians 2, the Baptists 1, the German Protestants 3, the
Methodists 1, the Roman Catholics 2, the Unitarians 1, the
Universalists 1; there are also 1 Bethel and 2 African churches.
There are an orphan asylum, 2 banking houses, an insurance
company, a theatre, and several hotels, of which the American is
one of the finest in the country. Among the useful institutions
of the city, the Young Mens' Association, who have a choice
library of 3,500 volumes, and the public schools, under the
control of the common council, for the education of the whole
population, without charge for tuition, deserve to be mentioned.
Buffalo stands as a great gate between the East and the West,
through which much of their commerce must pass; and it is a
great depot for the western country. The harbor of Buffalo is
spacious and safe, having 12 or 14 feet of water a mile from its
entrance into the lake; but it originally had a bar across its
mouth. To obviate this, and the better to protect the harbor, a
pier has been constructed of wood and stone, by the United
States, extending 1,500 feet from the s. side of the mouth of
the creek, upon the end of which a light-house is erected, 20
feet in diameter at its base, and 40 feet high. This pier
operates as a breakwater, and, by confining the creek, has
served to clear its channel, so that vessels drawing 8 feet of
water pass freely. But the greatest difficulty of the harbor of
Buffalo arises from the accumulation of ice, on the breaking up
of the lake, driven into it by the strong westerly winds, so
that it often remains obstructed after the lake is clear. There
are 50 or 60 steamboats, and 300 schooners and other craft which
navigate Lake Erie and the connected lakes, engaged in the
commerce between Buffalo and the west. The tonnage in 1840, was
4,916. The arrivals of steamboats and other vessels in 1840,
were, 4,061; clearances, 4,851. The amount of property sent e.
on the Erie canal from Buffalo, at the same date, was 177,607
tons. The amount of goods, including domestic manufactures,
salt, &c, received by the canal, and shipped to the west, was
98,733 tons. Tolls received amounted to $376,417. Buffalo is
connected with Black Rock, and with Niagara Falls, by railroads.
There were in 1840, 23 for. commission houses, cap. $94,000; 231
ret. stores, cap. $736,335; 1 woollen fac, 3 tanneries, 2
distilleries, 1 pottery, 4 flouring m., 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 2
oil m., 10 printing offices, 5 daily, 4 weekly, 1 semi-weekly
newspapers, and 6 periodicals. Cap. in manufac, $630,300. It was
originally laid out by the Holland Land Company, in 1801. It was
entirely burned by the British in 1814, excepting 2 buildings.
It then contained 200 dwellings. The inhabitants, however,
received $80,000 from Congress as a compensation for their
losses. The commencement of the rapid growth and great
importance of this place may be dated from the opening of the
Erie canal, though as the eastern limit of lake navigation it
was gradually rising before that event.
Buffalo, t., Armstrong county, Pa. It
has 3 stores, cap. 81,900; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1
distillery, 8 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $20,000. 1
sch. 22 scholars. Pop. 1,820.
Buffalo, p-t., Washington county, Pa., 217 w. Harrisburg, 213 W.
It has 2 stores, cap. $3,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woollen fac, 3
tanneries, 4 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,800. 8 sch.
220 scholars. Pop. 1,116.
Buffalo, p-t., Guernsey co., O., 87 E. Columbus, 319 W. Pop.
Buffalo, p-o., Mason co., Va., 347 N. n. w. Richmond, 381 W.
Situated on the E. bank of Great Kanawha r.
Buffalo, p-v., Cleveland co., N. C, 190 Raleigh, 427 W.
Buffalo, p-o., Perry county, Tenn., 92 s. w. Nashville, 769 W.
Buffalo, p-o., Polk county, Mo.
Buffalo, t., Pike county, Mo. Pop. 2,174.
Buffalo, t., Morgan co., Mo. Pop. 188.
Buffalo, t., Marion county, Ark. It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $1,000. Pop. 91.
Buffalo, v., capital of Niangua co., Mo., on the Buffalo Heart
Prairie, 3 miles w. of the Niangua r.
Buffalo, t., Butler county, Pa. Drained by Thorn, Great and
Little Buffalo creeks. It has 6 stores, cap. $5,610; 1 tannery,
4 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,675. 9 sch. 495
scholars. Pop. 1,820.
Buffalo, t., Perry county, Pa. The surface is hilly and the soil
slate. Situated on the w. bank of the Susquehanna river, across
which is a ferry. It has 5 stores, cap. $17,000; 1 rope fac, 1
flouring m., 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $14,745. 7
sch. 247 scholars. Pop. 948.
Buffalo, b., Perry county, Pa. Situated on Susquehanna river, 5
miles above the entrance of Juniata river. Here is a ferry. It
contains 1 Presbyterian church, 2 stores, and 25 dwellings, 1
sch. 35 scholars. Pop. 147.
Buffalo Cross Roads, p-o., Union co., Pa., 75 n. by w.
Harrisburg, 185 W.
Buffalo Ford, p-o., Wythe county, Va., 266 w. s. w. Richmond,
Buffalo Forge, p-o., Rockbridge county, Va., 152 w. by N.
Richmond, 196 W.
Buffalo Grove, p-o., Ogle county, Ill., 173 N. Springfield, 836
Buffalo Hide, p-o., Grainger county, Tenn., 211 E. Nashville,
Buffalo Hill, p-o., Orange county, N. C, 43 n. w. Raleigh, 269
Buffalo Run, p-o., Centre county, Pa., 91 n. w. Harrisburg, 183
Buford, p-o., Highland county, Ohio, 90 s. s. w. Columbus, 457
Buford's, p-o., Bedford county, Va., 156 w, by s.Richmond, 230
Buford's Bridge, p-o., Barnwell district, S, C, 88 s. s. w.
Columbia, 594 W.
Bulger, p-o., Washington county, Pa., 223 w Harrisburg, 247 W.
Bullbonus Grove, p-o., Will county, Ill., 163 n. n. e..
Springfield, 710 W.
Bullit, County, Ky., situated in the N. part of
the state, on Salt river. It contains 250 square miles. Watered
by a branch of Salt r. The, surface in the n. e. part is uneven,
and the soil fertile. Salt is made in the county. Capital,
Shepherdsville. There were in 1810, neat cattle 6,379, sheep
8,821, swine 20,988; wheat 39,681 bushels produced, rye 3,561,
Ind. corn 246,665, oats 77,105, potatoes 6,452, tobacco 2,540
pounds, sugar 12,171, 6 stores, cap. $24,600; 5 tanneries, 4
distilleries, 1 brewery, 7 flouring m., 18 grist m., 9 saw m., 1
oil m. Cap. in manufac. $34,500. Pop. whites 4,996, slaves
1,320, free colored 18; total, 6,334.
Bullock, County, Ga., in the s. e. part of the
state, on the Ogeechee r. It contains 800 square miles. It has
the Cannouchee r. on the s. w., a branch of which runs through
the county. Capital, Statesboro. There were in 1840, neat cattle
9,013, sheep 1,621, swine 6,145; wheat 2,974 bushels produced,
Ind- com 39,509, oats 1,877, potatoes 12,416; 1 store, cap.
$600; 12 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,070. 1 sch. 27
scholars. Pop. 1830, 2,587; 1840, whites 2,147, slaves 955;
Bullocks, p-o., Granville county, N. C, 56 N. Raleigh, 272 W.
Bullocktown, p-v., Queen Anne co., Md., 64 e. Annapolis, 104 W.
Bull Pasture, p-o., Bath co., Va., 161 w. n. w. Richmond, 188 W.
Bull Run, p-o., Grainger co., Tenn., 213 E. Nashville, 492 W.
Bull Skin, p-o., Gallia co., O., Ill s. s. E. Columbus, 369 W.
Bulltown, p-o., Braxton co., Va., 306 w. N. w. Richmond, 274 W.
Bullville, p-o., Crawford t., Orange co., N. Y., 103 s. by w.
Albany, 238 W.
Buncombe, County, N. C, in the w. part of the
state, contains 2,000 sq. ms. It occupies a broad valley,
between 2 ridges of the Alleghany mountains. Drained by French
Broad r. and its tributaries, and by Nolachucky r. The country
is elevated, the surface very much broken, and the soil is
chiefly adapted to grazing. It is a very healthy region.
Capital, Ashville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 10,596, sheep
9,803, swine 20,552; wheat 22,903 bushels produced, rye 9,251,
Ind. corn 304,271, oats 68,544, potatoes 21,308, tobacco 8,619
pounds, 9 stores, cap. $41,450; 5 tanneries, 62 distilleries, 36
grist m., 25 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly
newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $38,533. 1 acad. 15 students, 1 sch.
10 scholars. Pop. 1830, 16,259; 1840, whites 8,798, slaves
1,199, free col'd 87; total, 10,084.
Bundysburg, p-v., Parkman t., Geauga co., O., 166 n. e.
Columbus, 325 W.
Bunker Hill, p-o., Bucks co., Pa., 102 e. by N. Harrisburg, 171
Bunker Hill, p-o., Bedford co., Va., 148 w. by s. Richmond, 223
Bunker Hill, p-o., Jefferson county, Flor.
Bunker Hill, t., Ingham co., Mich. Pop. 93.
Burbank, p-o., Wayne county, Ohio, 109 N. E. Columbus, 360 W.
Burboise, t., Gasconade co., Mo. Pop. 316.
Burdett, p-v., Hector t., Tompkins co., N. Y., 184 w. by s.
Albany, 307 W. It contains 2 churches, 3 stores, and 400
Burdsfield, p-o., Bedford county, Pa., 117
Bull Creek, p-o., Wood county, Va., 324 n. I w. s. w.
Harrisburg, 144 W
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!