Cabahatchee, AL to Callaway, County, Ky
Cabahatchee, p-o., Macon co., Ala., 133 s.
E. Tuscaloosa, 81S W.
Cabarrus, County, N. C. Situated in the s. part
of the state, containing 300 sq. ms. The surface is broken, and
some of it mountainous, and the soil fertile. Drained by the
upper sources of Rocky r., which falls into the Yadkin r.
Capital, Concord. There were in 1840, neat cattle 10,816, sheep
9,142, swine 21,600; wheat 86,300 bush, produced, rye 2,034,
Ind. corn 418,180, barley 366, oats 51,998, potatoes 17,276,
silk cocoons 174 pounds, cotton 4,563,726; 15 stores, cap.
$73,475; value of gold produced, 83,761; 1 smelting house, 7
tanneries, 2 distilleries, 18 flouring m., 20 grist m., 12 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $1,800. 4 acad. 107 students, 22 sch. 513
scholars. Pop. 1330, M,796; 1840, whites 6,971, slaves 2,179.
free col'd 109; total, 9,259.
Cabell, County, Va., in the w. part of the
state, on the Ohio r. It contains about 1,000 sq. ms. Drained by
Guyandott r., which runs through it, and Big Sandy r., on its w.
border. The surface is broken, and in some parts mountainous,
and much of the soil is indifferent. Capital, Barboursville.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,261, sheep 9,631, swine
19,606; wheat 39,327 bush, produced, rye 500, Ind. corn 379,121,
oats 96,285, potatoes 17,138, silk co-coons 35 pounds, tobacco
6,375; 22 stores, cap. 67,690; 4 tanneries, 2 flouring m., 13
grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. 832,390. 1 acad. 15
students, 12 sch. 324 scholars. Pop. 1830, 5,834; 1840, whites
7,574, slaves 567, free col'd 22; total, 8,163.
Cabeen's, p-o., Union co., Ark., 108 s. Little Rock, 1.173 W.
Cabin Creek, p-o., Lewis co., Ky., 92 n. e. Frankfort, 471 W.
Cabin Hill, p-o., Andes t., Delaware co., N. Y., 85 s. w.
Albany, 345 W.
Cabin Point, p-v., Surry co., Va., 43 s. e. Richmond, 166 W.
Situated near Chipoak cr., and contains a store, and 18 or 20
Cabot, p-t., Caledonia, co., Vt., 20 n. e. Montpelier, 535 W.
Drained by the head waters of Onion r. Some of its waters flow
e. into Connecticut r. The surface is rough, and the soil is
chiefly adapted to grazing. Chartered in 1781, and first settled
in 1785. It contains a Congregational and a Methodist church. It
has 4 stores, cap. 810,000; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2
tanneries, 1 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $13,750. 15
sch. 450 scholars. Pop. 1,440.
Cabotville, p-v., Springfield t., Hampden co., Mass., 95 w. by
s. Boston, 367 w. Situated on the e. side of Connecticut r., at
the entrance of Chickapee r. It contains 2 churches, 1
Congregational and 1 Unitarian, 3 cotton fac, 2 fac. of
machinery, and several stores and dwellings.
Cache, t., Greene co., Ark. It has 1 sch. 25 scholar. Pop. 804.
Cache, t., Monroe co., Ark. It has 1 sch. 17 scholars. Pop. 372.
Cade's Cove, p-o., Blount co., Tenn., 199 e. by s. Nashville,
Caddo, Parish, La. Situated in the n. w. corner
of the state, between Red r. on the e. and the Sabine r. on the
s. w. The surface is level or slightly uneven, and the soil
moderately good. It has Caddo Lake, a considerable body of
water, in its n. part, and Red r. on its eastern boundary.
Capital, Shreveport. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,310,
sheep 144, swine 14,927; Ind. corn 177,515 bush, produced;
potatoes 45,230, cotton 2,891,300 pounds; 16 stores, cap.
$134,300; 1 tannery, 3 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly
newspaper, 2 acad. 45 students, 3 sch. 42 scholars. Pop. whites
2,416, slaves 2,837, free col'd 29; total, 5,232.
Caddo, t., Clark co., Ark. Pop. 661.
Caddo Cove, t., Hot Spring co., Ark. It has 1 sch. 27 scholars.
Cadiz, p-t., capital of Harrison co., O., 114 e. n. e. Columbus,
234 W. It is a flourishing agricultural t., with a handsome
village, w 7 here is a large brick court house, 2 large brick
Presbyterian churches, and a Methodist church. There are in the
v., 1 acad. 20 students, 3 sch. 253 scholars. Pop. 1,028. In the
t., 1 acad. 25 students, 5 sch. 327 scholars. Pop. 1,366.
Cadiz, p-v., Trigg co., Ky. Situated on the bank of Little r., 9
ms. from Cumberland r. It has a court house, church, and a male
and female seminary. It stands on a beautiful eminence, has some
trade, particularly in tobacco, and contains about 450
Cadiz, p-v., Henry co., Ia., 45 e. n. e. Indianapolis, 455 W.
Cadron, t., Conway co., Ark. Pop. 312.
Cadwallader, p-o., Perry t., Tuscarawas co., O., 95 e. by n.
Columbus, 38 W.
Cadyville, p-v., Plattsburg t., Clinton co., N. Y., 173 n.
Albany, 548 W. Situated on the Saranac r., and contains 2
stores, 1 grist m., 2 saw m., and about 25 dwellings.
Caesar's Creek, t., Green co., O. Watered by Caesar's Creek, a
branch of the Little Miami r. It is a flourishing agricultural
t. It has 2 distilleries. Pop. 1,736.
Caernarvon, t., Berks co., Pa. It has 2 stores, cap. $10,000; 1
flouring m., 3 grist m., 3 saw 7 m. Cap. in manufac. $3,159.
Caernarvon, t., Lancaster co., Pa. It has 7 stores, cap.
$21,400; 2 forges, 1 fulling m., 1 woolen factory, 3 tanneries,
3 distilleries, 4 flouring m., 6 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $9,190. 7 sch. 210 scholars. Pop. 1,590.
Cahaba, river, Ala., 120 ms. long. It rises in St. Clair co.,
and flows s. into the Alabama r., at Cahaba v., in Dallas co.,
195 above its junction with the Tombigbee r.
Cahaba, p-v., capital of Dallas co., Ala., 92 s. s. e.
Tuscaloosa, 853 W. Situated on the w. bank of the Alabama r.,
just below the junction of the Cahaba r. It contains a court
house, jail, a U. S. land office, and several stores and
Cahokia, p-v., St. Clair co., Ill., 98 s. by w. Springfield, 811
W. Situated on the e. bank of the Mississippi r., 5 s. e. St.
Louis. It is an old French settlement, and was one of the
earliest in Illinois, having been established about 1683. At the
commencement of the revolutionary war, it contained 59 families,
and was early the seat of a considerable fur trade.
Cahokia, creek, Ill., rises in Macoupin co., and empties into
the Mississippi r. 2 ms. below the ferry at St. Louis. Through
the American bottoms near its month, its course is sluggish, and
a mill dam backs the water for 15 miles. It formerly passed the
village of Cahokia, but a mischievous Frenchman, from some pique
against the village, cut a channel from the creek to the
Mississippi, which has since become its outlet. Along its
borders are 60 or 70 mounds, of various shapes and sizes.
Cahoes, or Cahoos Falls, on the Mohawk r., N. Y., 3 ms. above
the mouth of the r. The falls are 70 feet perpendicular, and
when the river is full, present a grand spectacle. The banks
below are formed by perpendicular rocks, about 100 feet high.
The Erie Canal passes along the s. bank of the r., has a number
of locks, and crosses the r. a little above the falls, in an
aqueduct. About a mile below, the r. is crossed by a bridge, and
the Champlain canal crosses it by means of a dam.
Cain, t., Fountain co., Ia. It has 602 scholars in schools. Pop.
Cain's, p-o., Lancaster co., Pa., 56 s. by e. Harrisburg, 131 W.
Cain's, p-o., Gwinnett co., Ga., 100 n. n w. Milledgeville, 639
Cainsville, p-o., Wilson co., Tenn., 31 e. by n. Nashville, 650
Ca Ira, p-v., Cumberland co., Va., 57 w. by s. Richmond, 147 W.
Situated on Willis's river, which is navigable to Curdsville 12
ms. above this place, 60 ms. from its mouth. It contains a
church, free to all denominations, 3 stores, 1 flouring m., 1
tobacco warehouse, and various mechanic shops, 40 dwellings, and
about 240 inhabitants.
Cairo, p-t., Green co., N. Y., 10 w. Catskill, 44 s. s. w.
Albany, 346 W. The surface of the t. is hilly and mountainous,
but the soil in the valleys is fertile. Watered by Catskill cr.
and its tributaries. The v. has 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1
Baptist, and 1 Methodist church, 6 stores, 1 woolen fac, 1 grist
m., 1 saw m., 1 tannery, and 1 hat fac, 60 dwellings, and 400
inhabitants. It contains the county poorhouse, with a farm of
100 acres attached. There are in the t. 10 stores, cap. $24,800;
2 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 4 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$48,000. 8 sch. 252 scholars. Pop. 2,862.
Cairo, p-o., Edgefield dist., S. C, 115 e. s. e. Columbia, 563
Cairo, p-v., Henderson co., Ky., 209 w. by s. Frankfort, 736 W.
Cairo, p-o., Decatur co., Ga., 209 s. s. w. Milledgeville, 866
W. Situated on Little r.
Cairo, p-v., Sumner co., Tenn., 31 n. n. e. Nashville, 662 W.
Situated on N. side of Cumberland r.
Cairo, p-v., Alexandria co., Ill., 233 s. by e. Springfield, 867
W. It is situated on the point of land formed by the junction of
the Ohio with the Mississippi r., extending from river to river.
The situation is important; but the ground is low, and liable to
be overflowed, which forms a great check to its growth and
prosperity. Here is intended to commence the Great Central
railroad, extending northwardly through the state, with lateral
Calabee, p-o., Macon co., Ala.
Calais, p-t., Washington co., Me., 200 e. n. e. Augusta, 786 W.
It is situated at the head of navigation on the St.. Croix or
Schoodic r., nearly opposite to St. Andrews, N. Brunswick. It
has an upper and a lower village, which are about 2 miles apart,
and connected by a railroad. The falls in the r. here afford a
very extensive water power. Below the lower falls is a bridge,
which crosses to the British side. The tide here rises 20 feet,
and vessels of the largest class ascend to the lower village. It
has 3 for. commercial houses, cap. $370,000; 30 stores, cap.
$81,005; 6 lumber yards, cap. $71,000; 1 grist m., 20 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $130,820. 10 sch. 1,217 scholars. Pop. 2,934.
Calais, p-t., Washington co., Vt., 10 x. e. Montpelier, 526 W.
Watered by branches of Onion r. It is a good grazing t., and
several ponds afford fine trout in great abundance. It has 1
store, cap. $4,000; 1 tannery, 2 saw m., 4 oil m. Cap. in
manufac $6,700. 17 sch. 487 scholars. Pop. 1,709.
Calais, p-o., Monroe co., O.
Calcasieu, river of La., rises in the parish of Natchitoches, s.
w. of Red r.; towards its mouth it expands into a lake, 30 miles
long, and from 1 to 10 wide, but contracts again to a river,
before its entrance into the Gulf of Mexico. The tide flows
above the head of the lake; but both the r. and lake are so
shallow, as to be of little service for navigation.
Calcasieu, Parish, La. Situated in the w. part
of the state between the Mermentau and Sabine rivers. It
contains about 5,000 sq. ms. Drained centrally by the Calcasieu
rivers. Capital, Lisbon. There were in 1840, neat cattle 13,557,
sheep 552, swine 4,564; Ind. corn 16,670 bush, produced,
potatoes 6,387, cotton 45,600, sugar 6,000; 4 stores, cap.
$28,500; 1 tannery. Cap. in manufac. $1,575. 2 sch. 28 scholars.
Pop. whites 1,349, slaves 482, free col'd 226; total, 2,057.
Calcutta, p-v., St. Clair t., Columbiana co., O., 163 n. e.
Columbus, 270 W. It has 1 sch. 35 scholars. Pop. 135.
Caldwell, County, N. C, in the n. w. part of
the state. Drained by Yadkin r. The surface is broken, excepting
the bottoms on the r., which are broad and very fertile,
producing large crops of grain of all kinds. The Blue Ridge lies
on its x. border. Capital, Lenoir. (Organized since the census
Caldwell, Parish, La., lies on the Ouachitta or
Washita r. It contains about 560 sq. ms. On the e. side of the
r. the soil is alluvial; on the w. side, fine hills extend to
Red r. Capital, Columbia. Pop. 2,017.
Caldwell, County, Ky. Situated in the w. part
of the state, and contains 600 sq. ms. Surface generally level;
soil fertile. It has the Tennessee r. on its s. w. boundary, and
Cumber-land r. passes centrally through the county. Capital,
Princeton. There were in 1840, neat cattle 11,191, sheep 10,045,
swine 35,189; wheat 53,109 bush, produced, rye 2,113, Ind. corn
601,265, oats 101,367, potatoes 15,995, tobacco 2,567,625
pounds, cotton 17,154, sugar 8,205; 29 stores, cap. $130,100; 1
furnace, 1 forge, 6 tanneries, 13 distilleries, 2 potteries, 4
flouring m., 33 grist m., 9 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly
newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $71,192. 1 college, 76 students, 3
acad. 69 students, 16 sch. 377 scholars. Pop. whites 8,091,
slaves 2,171, free col'd 103: total, 10,365.
Caldwell, County, Mo. Situated in the n. w.
part of the state, contains 432 sq. ms. The surface is level,
and the soil fertile. Drained by Shoal cr., and has good water
power. Capital, Far West. There were hi 1840, neat cattle 1,495,
sheep 693, swine 5,056; wheat 4,079 bush, produced, Ind.com
62,282, oats 15,190, potatoes 3,510, tobacco 2,950 pounds; 6
stores, cap. $12,400. Pop. whites 1,397, slaves 61; total,
Caldwell, p-t., Warren co., N. Y., 63 n. Albany, 436 W. The t.
is hilly and mountainous, The v. is delightfully situated on the
s. w. end of Lake George, and contains a court house, jail,
county clerk's office, 1 church, 2 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw 7
m., 1 plaster m., situated on Mill brook. It has 35 dwellings,
and 200 inhabitants. The ruins of Fort William Henry and Fort
George, famous in the history of the French war, are near this
place. Lake' George, on which a steam-boat runs regularly,
between Caldwell and the outlet near Ticonderoga, a distance of
36 miles, presents most romantic .scenery, and is greatly
resorted to in the summer season, by visiters to Saratoga, and
others. Pop. of the t. 693. There are in the t., 1 grist m., 4
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,50;). 6 sch. 239 scholars. Pop. 693.
Caldwell, p-t., Essex co., N. J., 60 n. n. e. Trenton, 230 W.
Drained by Deep and Green brooks, tributaries of the Passaic. It
has a number of mills, and considerable manufactures. The
surface, excepting along the streams, is rolling or mountainous.
It has 4 stores, cap. $6,500; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1
cotton fac. 166 sp., 1 tannery, 1 bindery, 3 grist m., 10 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $36,7 15. 1 acad. 22 students, 7 sen. 310
scholars. Pop. 2.134.
Caldwell, p-o., Greenville dist., S. C, 124 n. w. Columbia, 46
Caldwell, p-v., Caldwell par., Louisiana. 284 n. w. New Orleans,
1,197 W. Situated on the E. side of Washita r., on the border of
Prairie du Lait.
Caldwell, p-o., Pulaski co., Ark., 24 Little Rock, 1,039 VV.
Caledonia, County, Vt. Situated toward the N.
e. part of the state, and contains 700 sq. ms. Connecticut r.
runs on its s. e. border. The e. range of the Green mountains
extends through its w. part. The surface is high, and the soil
is good, and along the streams, is particularly fertile.
Pasumpsic r. runs through it, and enters the Connecticut r. The
head branches of Onion and Lamoile rivers rise in its w. part.
It contains granite, limestone, and a number of sulphur springs.
Capital, Danville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 32.663. sheep
100,836, swine 18.991; wheat 52,109 bush, produced. Ind. corn
52,350, barley 12,291, oats 342,433, rye 1,799. potatoes
1,066,848, hops 2,011 pounds, sugar 665,337; 53 stores, cap.
$212,200; 1 furnace, 18 fulling m., 9 woolen fac, 27 tanneries,
3 potteries, 30 grist m., 107 saw m., 3 oil m., 2 printing
offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $354,790. 4 acad.
322 students, 205 sch. 7,338 scholars. Pop. 1840, 21,831.
Caledonia, p-t., Livingston co., N. Y., 229 w. Albany, 363 W.
The surface is undulating, and the soil, a fertile calcareous
loam. Watered by the Genesee r., on the e. On the w. a spring
sends forth an efficient, mill-stream. The v. contains 2
churches, 4 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 saw m., 1 brewery, 70
dwellings, and about 450 inhabitants. There are in the t., 1
furnace, 5 stores, cap. $19,080; 1 tannery, 1 brewery, 1 grist
m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $12,800. 12 sch. 521 scholars.
Caledonia, p-o., Clearfield co., Pa., 133 to. w. Harri.burg, 230
Caledonia, p-v., Moore co., N. C, 85 9. w. Raleigh, 359 W.
Caledonia, p-v., Claridon t., Marion co., O., 52 n. Columbus,
403 W. It is situated on the w. branch of Olentangy or Whetstone
r., and contains a church, 2 stores, and 18 or 20 dwellings.
There are some mills in the vicinity.
Caledonia, p-v., Lowndes co., Miss., 157 to. e. Jackson, 883 W.
Caledonia, p-v., Henry co., Tenn., 124 w. by n. Nashville, 814
Caledonia, p-v., Alexander co., Ill., 229 s. Springfield, 846 W.
Situated on the Ohio, 13 ins. above its junction with the
Caledonia, p-v., Washington co., Mo., 117 s. e. Jefferson city,
891 W. Situated on the s. side of Big r., in the midst of a rich
Caledonia, t., Shiawassee co., Mich. It has 1 store, cap.
$1,000; 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac $5,000. Pop. 114.
Calhoun, County, Florida, situated in the s. w.
part of the ter., and contains 1,100 sq. m. It lies on the
Apalachicola r., and has the Gulf of Mexico on the s. A narrow
strip of elevated pine land borders the shore. The soil is
sandy. Capital, St. Joseph. There were in 1840, neat cattle
1,484, sheep 29, swine 966; Indian corn 4,550 bushels produced,
potatoes 4,495, rice 5,000 pounds; 7 com. houses, cap. $51,500;
10 stores, cap. $63,100; 9 lumber yards, cap. $8,550; 2 grist
m., 2 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in
manufac. $22,300. 3 acad. 52 students, 5 sch. 108 scholars.
Calhoun, County, Mich., is central in the s.
part of the state, and contains 720 sq. ms. Watered by the head
branches of the Kalamazoo r., and by St. Joseph's r. Organized
in 1833. The surface is undulating, and the soil a rich sandy
loam. It has valuable quarries of sandstone on Kalamazoo r.,
used as a building material. It has extensive water power.
Capital, Marshall. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,557, sheep
3,057, swine 18,308; wheat 176,633 bushels produced, Ind. corn
140,971, buckwheat 3,333, barley 20,553, oats 173,177, potatoes
132.319, sugar 19.755 pounds; 33 stores, cap. $212,200; 4
distilleries, 10 flouring m.. 5 grist m., 29 saw m., 2 printing
offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $233,260. 2 acad.
88 students, 96 sch. 2,157 scholars. Pop. 10,599.
Calhoun, County, Ill., situated in the w. part
of the state, between the Illinois and Mississippi rivers. It
contains about 240 sq. ms. and consists of table land and strips
of alluvion, on the Mississippi and Illinois rivers. Capital,
Gilead. There were in 1840, neat cattle 2.7U5, sheep 860, swine
6,097; wheat 2,791 bushels produced, Ind. corn 72,030, buckwheat
205, oats 3,310, potatoes 5,673, sugar 1,460 pounds, tobacco
530; 8 stores, cap. 16,800; 1 lumber yard, cap. $4,000; 2 grist
m. Cap. in manufac. $32,425. 5 schools, 119 scholars. Pop.
Calhoun, p-v., Anderson dist., S. C, 115 w. n. w. Columbia, 525
Calhoun, p-v., Lumpkin co., Ga., 130 n. n. w. Milledgeville, 639
Calhoun, p-v., McMinn co., Tenn., 163 s. w. Knoxville, 569 W.
Situated on the n. side of Hiawassee river.
Calhoun, p-v., Henry co., Mo., 117 w. by s. Jefferson City,
Calhoun's Mills, p-o., Abbeville dist., S. C, 94 w. by n.
Columbia, 541 W.
Caliboge Sound, S. C, sets up from the Atlantic, 7 n. e. of the
entrance of Savannah River.
California, p-o., Cole co., Mo., 25 s. w. Jefferson city, 961 W.
Callaghan's, p-o., Alleghany co., Va., 191 w. by n. Richmond,
228 W. Situated at the junction of the roads leading to the
Warm, Sweet, and White Sulphur Springs.
Calland's, p-o., Pittsylvania co., Va., 174 w. s. w. Richmond,
Callaway, County, Ky. Situated in the w. part
of the state, and contains 600 square miles. It lies on the
Tennessee r., which bounds it on the e. Drained by Clark's r.,
which passes through the middle of it. Capital, Wadesboro. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 9,227, sheep 7,753, swine 39,520;
wheat 54,911 bushels produced, Indian corn 157,818, oats 65,903,
potatoes 11,428, tobacco 143,192 pounds, cotton 93,471, sugar
2,421; 16 stores, cap. $42,800; 7 tanneries, 26 distilleries, 3
flouring m., 10 grist m., 10 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,010. 18
sch. 206 scholars. Pop. 1840, whites, 8,870, slaves 911, free
colored 13; total, 9,794.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!