Callaway, County, Mo to Campbell's
Callaway, County, Mo., situated in the central
part of the state, and lies on the Missouri r., which bounds it
on the s. It contains 760 square miles. The surface is
undulating, and the soil excellent. Drained by Big and Little Au
Vase creeks. Capital, Fulton. There were in 1840, neat cattle
11,693, sheep 13,666, swine 29,493; wheat 33.909 bushels
produced, rye 1,915, Ind. corn, 334,559, oats 127,057, potatoes
2,696, tobacco 391,342 pounds, sugar 12,353; 24 stores, cap.
$146,400; 6 woolen fac., 9 tanneries, 9 distilleries, 1 rope
fee, 5 flouring m., 31 grist m., 7 saw m., 2 oil m., 1 printing
office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $33,510. 2 acad. 61
students, 40 sch. 964 scholars. Pop. 1830, 6,159; 1840, whites
8,601, slaves 3,142, free col'd 22; total, 11,765.
Callaway's Mills, p-o., Franklin co., Va., 182 w. s. w.
Richmond, 257 W.
Callensburg, p-v., Toby t.. Clarion co., Pa., 190 w. n. w.
Harrisburg, 276 W.
Calumet, County, Wis., situated in the n. e.
part of the ter. Winnebago lake lies on its w. order. It
contains 300 square ms. Drained by the head branches of
Manitowoc r. There were in 1840, neat cattle 255, swine 433;
wheat 1,192 bushels produced, Ind. corn 3,619, potatoes 3,803.
Cap. in manufac. $1,000. Pop. 725.
Calumet Village, p-v., Calumet co., Wis., 110 n. e. Madison, 957
W. Situated on the e. shore of Lake Winnebago.
Calumet, t., Pike co., Mo. It has 5 sch. 142 scholars. Pop.
Calvary, t., Franklin co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 16 scholars. Pop.
Calvary, p-o., Athens co., O., 82 s. e. Colum-bus, 318 W.
Calvert, County, Md., situated in the s. part
of the state, on Chesapeake Bay, which forms its e. boundary. It
contains 264 square miles. The surface is undulating. Capital,
Prince Frederick Town. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,487,
sheep 6,601, swine 12,617; wheat 36,932 bushels produced, Ind.
corn 166,592, oats 55,775, potatoes 6,056, tobacco 3,689 695
pounds; 26 stores, cap. $45,520; 25 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $13,545. 5 acad. 58 students, 8 schools, 175 scholars.
Pop. 1830, 8,899; 1840, whites 3,585, slaves 4,270, free col'd
1,474; total, 9,229.
Calvin, t., Cass co., Mich. It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $3,100. 1 sch. 44 scholars. Pop. 209.
Camak, p-o., Warren co., Ga., 48 n. e. Milledgeville, 622 W. It
is a depot on the Georgia railroad.
Camanche, p-v., and capital of Clinton County, Iowa. 60 e. Iowa
City, 912 W. Situated on the w. side of the Mississippi r.
Cambria, p-o., Luzerne co., Pa., 104 n. n. e. Harrisburg, 215 W.
Cambria, County, Pa., central in the w. part of
the state, and contains 720 square miles. It occupies a valley
between the main branch of the Alleghany Mountains and Laurel
ridge. The railroad from Hollidaysburg passes over the mountain,
on its eastern border, and terminates at Johnstown, in the s.
part of this county, connecting the parts of the Pennsylvania
canal. The surface is rough, and in some parts mountainous, and
the soil moderately good. Drained by the head waters of the
Kiskiminitas or Connemaugh r., and also of the w. branch of the
Susquehanna River. There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,518, sheep
11,461, swine 10,769: wheat 34,421 bush. 13 prod., rye 22,704,
Indian corn 31,943, buckwheat 15,827, barley 1,473, oats 1
14,470, potatoes 87,856, hops 503 pounds, sugar 27,539; 10 com.
houses in for. trade, cap. $5,900; 32 stores, cap. $88,800; 2
lumberyards, cap. $1,000; 6 tanneries, 1 brewery, 1 pottery, 1
rope fee, 20 grist m., 60 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly
newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $32,852. 71 sch. 269 scholars. Pop.
1830, 7,076; 1840, 11,256.
Cambria, p-t., Niagara co., N. Y., 283 w. by Albany, 406 W. The
surface is generally level, and the soil sandy and calcareous
loam. It has 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$6,050. 17 sch. 759 scholars. Pop. 2,099.
Cambria, t., Cambria co., Pa. The surface is hilly; soil, clay
and sand. Drained by Black Lick cr. and the n. branch of Little
Connemaugh r. Ebensburg b., in this t., is the capital of the
co. It has a commanding situation on the Alleghany Mountains and
contains 3 churches, 1 Baptist, 1 Congregationalism, and 1 Roman
Catholic and about 40 dwellings. The t. has 7 stores, cap.
$23,800; 1 tannery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly paper, 3 grist
m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,830. 8 sch. 320 scholars. Pop.
Cambria, p-o., Hillsdale co., Mich.
Cambridge, p-t., Somerset co., Me., 63 n. Augusta, 659 W. It has
1 store, cap. $500; 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$2,000. 5 sch. 198 scholars. Pop. 461.
Cambridge, p-t., Lamoille co., Vt., 48 n. w. Montpelier. The
Lamoille r. runs through this t., and, with its branches,
furnishes some mill seats. The interval land on the r. is
fertile; the surface, generally, is rough, but suited to
grazing. First settled in 1783. It has 8 stores, cap. $15,500; 2
fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 3 saw ra. Cap. in manufac.
$3,150. 17 sch. 530 scholars. Pop. 1,790.
Cambridge, p-t., semi-capital of Middlesex co., Ms., 3 n. w.
Boston, 437 W. In 43° 23' n. lat., and 74° 40' 30" w. Ion. This
is one of the early towns in New England, having been first
settled in 1631, under the name of Newtown. It is the seat of
Harvard University, formerly called Harvard College, the oldest
college in the United States, having been founded in 1633, which
was less than 20 years after the first landing of the Pilgrims
at Plymouth. Cambridge contains a court house and jail, state
arsenal, and 5 churches, 2 Unitarian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist,
and 1 Universalist. The courts are alternately held here and at
Concord. The court house and jail are at e. Cambridge, at
Lechmere's Point, a village at the s. E. extremity of the town,
which is connected with Boston and Charlestown by bridges. Here
is a large glass manufactory.
Harvard University has a president and 27 professors, or other
instructors; has had 5,546 alum-ni, of whom 1,406 have been
ministers of the gospel; has 246 classical students, and 53,000
volumes in its libraries. The commencement is on the 4th
Wednesday in August. The philosophical and chemical apparatus
are very complete, as well as its cabinet of minerals. It has an
excellent anatomical museum and a botanical garden, of eight
acres, richly stored with an extensive collection of trees,
shrubs, and plants, both native and foreign. The University
buildings are extensive and commodious, situated on a beautiful
plain, where is a neat village. The irregularity in the position
of the edifices, renders them less imposing in their appearance
than they otherwise would be, but not less adapted to their
purposes. They are University Hall, an elegant granite building,
140 by 50 feet, and 42 feet high, containing the chapel, dining
halls, and lecture rooms; Harvard Hall, containing the library,
philosophical apparatus, museum, &c; 4 spacious brick edifices,
containing rooms for students, and several other buildings for
the accommodation of the president, professors, and students;
Divinity Hall, for the accommodation of the theological
students; and the Medical College, in Boston, a Law School, a
Theological Seminary, and a Medical School, are attached to the
institution, the last of which is located in Boston. The Law
School has 115, the Theological 26, and the Medical 86 students.
The whole number of students attached to the institution,
including resident graduates, is 478. This institution is more
richly endowed than any other similar institution in the United
States. There are in the town 1 commercial and 1 commission
house, cap. 840,000; 27 stores, cap. $93,950; 8 lumber yards,
capital 835,000; 3 rope fac, 2 printing offices, 1 bindery, 5
periodicals, 1 university, 341 students, 2 acad. 45 students, 16
sch. 2,455 scholars. Pop. 8,409.
Cambridge, p-t., Washington co., N. Y., 34 n. by E. Albany, 404
W. The surface is mostly level, and the soil gravelly loam.
Watered by Hoosic River and its tributaries. The village
contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Associate Reformed church, 100
dwellings, and about 700 inhabitants. It has 4 stores, and
several mills and manufactories. The t. has 2 stores, cap.
85,000; 2 tanneries. 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $900.
13 sch. 297 scholars. Pop. 2,005.
Cambridge, t., Coos co., N. H. Situated on the Androscoggin r.
The surface is uneven and rough. Chartered in 1773. It has only
Cambridge, p-v., capital of Dorchester County, Md.. 61 s. e.
Annapolis, 101 W. Situated on the s. side of Choptank r., which
is here 2 miles wide, 12 miles from the Chesapeake bay. It
contains a court house and jail, an academy, and 2 churches, 1
Methodist and 1 Episcopal.
Cambridge, p-t., Lenawee co., Mich., 66 s. w. Detroit, 526 W. It
has 2 com. houses, cap. $6,000: 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$1,500. 4 sch. 114 scholars. Pop. 614.
Cambridge, p-t., capital of Guernsey co., O., 77 e. Columbus.
316 W. The village is pleasantly situated on the e. side of
Wills cr., on the national road, and contains a court house and
other public buildings, 130 dwellings, and about 700
inhabitants. It has 1 acad. 25 students, 9 schools, 329
scholars. Pop. 1,845.
Cambridge, p-v., Abbeville dist., S. C., 79 w. by n. Columbia,
Cambridge, p-v., Wayne co., Ia., 52 e. Indianapolis, 519 W.
Situated on the w. side of the West branch of Whitewater r., and
on the national road.
Cambridge, p-v., Dallas co., Ala., 84 s. by e. Tuscaloosa, 867
Cambridgeport, p-o., Windham County, Vt., 101 s. Montpelier, 448
Cambridgeport, p-v., Cambridge t., Middlesex county, Ms., 2 w.
Boston, 433 W. Here is a neat and pleasant village, containing a
Unitarian and a Baptist church, and considerable commerce and
Camden, County, N. C. Situated in the n. e.
part of the state, and contains 228 sq. ms. The surface is low
and marshy. It has Pasquotank r. on its s. w. border. Capital,
Camden C. H. or Jonesburg. There were in 1810, neat cattle
4,149, sheep" 2,672, swine 12,562; wheat 2,739 bush, produced,
Ind. corn 285,574, oats 9,480, potatoes 15,455, cotton 6,792
pounds; 21 stores, cap. 848,200; 5 distilleries, 18 grist m., 5
saw in., 1 acad. 70 student, 6 sch. 169 scholars. Pop. 1830,
6,721; 1840, whites 3,844, slaves 1,661, free col'd 153; total,
Camden, County, Ga. Situated in the s. e. part
of the state, with the Atlantic on the e., from which it is
separated by Cumberland island, which stretches along almost its
entire border. It contains about 700 sq. ms. St. Mary's river
curves along its s. border, and has a depth of water sufficient
for the largest vessels. The Santilla r. passes through the co.
Capital, Jeffersonton. There were in 1840, neat cattle 17,093,
sheep 1,453, swine 7.207: Ind. com 63,565 bush, produced,
potatoes 53,575, rice 1,006.440 pounds, silk cocoons 120, cotton
2,032,740, sugar 20,450; 15 stores, cap. $112,500; 5 tanneries,
4 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $101,290. 1 acad. 90
students, 11 sch. 133 scholars. Pop. 1830, 4,578; 1840, whites
2,004, slaves 4,049, free col'd 22; total, 6,075.
Camden, p-t., Waldo co., Me.. 42 e. s. e. Augusta, 10 n.
Thomaston, 632 W. It is pleasantly situated on the w. side of
Penobscot Bay, and has a good harbor. It has considerable
navigation employed in the coasting trade and the fisheries.
Ship building is carried on, and the manufacture of lime, which
is extensively exported. It has 41 stores, cap. $100,000; 2
tanneries, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 5 grist m., 4
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $105,600. 1 acad. 100 students, 17 sch.
1,169 scholars. Pop. 3,005.
Camden, p-t., Oneida co., N. Y., 128 n. w. Albany, 397 W. The
surface is uneven, and the soil a fertile sandy loam. Drained by
Fish cr. and its tributaries. The v. is on the w. branch of
Fisher. Incorporated in 1834. It has a town house, 3 churches,
100 dwellings, and about 700 inhabitants. There are in the t, 5
stores, cap. $46,500; 1 furnace, 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 5
tanneries, 6 grist m., 13 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$33,750. 1 acad. 60 students, 14 sen. 720 scholars. Pop. 2,331.
Camden, city, p-b., and port of entry, Gloucester co., N. J., 29
s. s. w. Trenton, 139 W. It is situated on the e. side of
Delaware River, opposite to Philadelphia. The city consists of
three parts, a central or principal part, and a northern and
southern village or suburb, from each of which is a ferry to
Philadelphia. The ship channel is on the Philadelphia side, but
ships of the largest class come up to the lower village, and
vessels of 150 tons to the central parts of Camden, at high
tide. Camden has 6 churches, 1 Baptist, 1 Episcopal, 2
Methodist, and 2 Friends, an academy, a bank, 400 dwellings, and
70 or 80 buildings occupied in manufactures, and considerable
commerce. It has several public gardens. The Camden and Amboy
railroad, leading from New York City, terminates here. A
railroad also proceeds s. to Woodbury. There were in 1840, 13
stores, cap. $28,400; 2 lumber yards, cap. $18,000; 1 turpentine
factory, 1 grist m., 5 saw m., 3 printing offices, 3 weekly
newspapers, 1 periodical. Cap. in manufac. $224,050. 3 acad. 240
students, 3 schools, 15 scholars. Pop. 3,371.
Camden, p-v., Kent co., Del., 3 s. Dover, 121 W. It is situated
on the s. branch of Jones' cr., and contains 20 or 30 dwellings.
Camden, p-v., Somers t., Preble co., O., 102 w. s. w. Columbus,
495 W. Situated on the w. bank of Seven Mile cr., near the mouth
of Paint cr. It contains 2 churches, 9 or 10 stores, and about
Camden, p-t., Hillsdale, co., Mich. 120 s. e. Detroit, 537 W.
Camden, p-v., Shelby co., Ky., 31 w. Frankfort, 573 W.
Camden, p-v., capital of Benton co., Tenn., 79 w. Nashville, 763
W., 9 w. Tennessee r., contains a court house and a few
Camden, p-v., Carroll co., Ia., 74 n. Indianapolis, 632 W.
Situated on the n. side of Passianong cr.
Camden, p-v., Madison co., Miss., 33 n. by e. Jackson, 1,007 W.
Situated on a small creek flowing into Big Black r.
Camden, p-v., capital of Kershaw dist., S. C., 33 n. e.
Columbia, 473 W. It is situated on the e. bank of Wateree river,
which is crossed li miles s. w. of the village by a bridge,
which cost $20,003. Flat-boats of 70 tons come to the place.
Camden contains a court house, jail, an academy, a Masonic hall,
a brick market-house, a library, an arsenal, 4 churches, some of
which are elegant, 1 Episcopal, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1
Methodist. It has a bank, about 40 stores, 200 dwellings, and
1,000 inhabitants. One mile e. by s. of the place, are the De
Kalb mills, and a cotton fac. with 1,200 sp., 24 looms, and
which employs 60 hands. The soil around Camden is fertile,
yielding good crops of cotton and corn, but liable to be
overflowed. In a good season, peaches and apples are sold at
from 12 to 25 cents a bushel, and fine melons equally cheap. Two
celebrated battles were fought here during the revolution, one
August 16th, 1780, between Gen. Gates and Lord Cornwallis, and
another, April 23d, 1781, between Gen. Greene and Lord Rawdon.
At the end of De Kalb street, opposite the Presbyterian church,
is a fine, white marble monument, erected to the memory of Baron
De Kalb, of revolutionary celebrity, the corner-stone of which
was laid by the venerable Lafayette, in 1825. Two miles w. of
Camden is a large Indian mound, supposed to mark the site of an
ancient town of the Catawbas.
Camden, p-o., Camden co., Ga.
Camden, p-v., Schuyler co., Ill., 72 w. n. w. Springfield, 850
Camden, p-v., Ray co., Mo., 149 w. N. w. Jefferson city, 1,052
W. Situated on the n. side of the Missouri r., 340 from St.
Louis, by the course of the r.
Camden, C. H., p-v., capital of Camden co., N. C, 219 e. n. e.
Raleigh, 287 W. Situated on the e. side of Pasquotank r. It
contains a court house, and several stores and dwellings.
Camden, t., Lorain co., O. It has 4 sch. 115 scholars. Pop. 504.
Camden Point, p-o., Platte co., Mo.
Camel's Rump, one of the highest peaks of the Green Mountains,
Vt., situated on the e. border of Huntington t., 4,188 feet
above tide water, 17 w. Montpelier, 20 s. e. Burlington. The
view from the top of it is extensive, beautiful, romantic, and
Cameron, p-t., Steuben co., N. Y., 7 s. Bath, 225 w. s. w.
Albany, 304 W. The surface is hilly, and the soil, a fertile
calcareous loam and clay. Watered by Canisteo r. It has 2
stores, cap. $7,000; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 7 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $8,195. 12 sch. 542 scholars. Pop. 1,359.
Camerons Mills, p-o., Orange co., N. C, 45 n. w., Raleigh, 262
Camillus, p-t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 7 w. Syracuse, 139 w. n. w.
Albany, 347 W. The surface is rolling; soil, calcareous loam.
Drained by Nine Mile cr. The Erie Canal passes through the t. It
contains a Presbyterian and a Methodist church. Gypsum is found
here. It has 12 stores, cap. $65,900; 2 tanneries, 2 flouring
m., 1 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $69,427; 15 sch. 924
scholars. Pop. 3,957.
Campbell, County, Va., in the s. part of the
state, lies between James r. on the n., and Staunton r. on the
s., and contains 576 sq. ms. The surface is rough and the soil
productive, adapted both to grain and to grazing, and producing
also tobacco and fruits. The rivers by which it is bordered are
both navigable for boats, giving it a ready access to Chesapeake
Bay and Albemarle Sound. Capital, Lynchburg. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 10,810, sheep 13.85S, swine 20,991; wheat 177,949
bush, produced, Ind. corn 481,960, oats 227,539, potatoes
22,622, hemp and flax 163 tons, tobacco 3,257,193 pounds, cotton
4,234; 3 commission houses in for. trade, cap. $102,000; 94
stores, cap. $1,537,636; 1 furnace, 1 cotton fac. 1,500 sp., 9
tanneries, 15 distilleries, 11 flouring m., 34 grist m., 38 saw
m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
$398,091. 5 acad. 195 students, 20 sch. 389 scholars. Pop. 1830,
20,330; 1840, whites 10,213, slaves 10,045, free col'd 772;
Campbell, County, Ga., in the n. w. part of the
state, lies on both sides of Chattahoochee r., and contains 330
sq. miles. Surface undulating, soil, fertile. Capital,
Campbellton. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,164, sheep 3,103,
swine 15,779; wheat 37,201 bush, produced, Ind. corn 231,475,
oats 18,194, potatoes 3,864, tobacco 7,436 pounds, cotton
895,737; 12 stores, cap. $14,200; 3 tanneries, 14 distilleries,
13 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,787. 19 sch. 462
scholars. Pop. 1830, 3,323; 1840, whites 4,526, slaves 842, free
col'd 2; total, 5,370.
Campbell, C. H., p-v., Campbell co., Va., 125 w. s. w. Richmond,
Campbell, County, Tenn. Situated in the n. e.
part of the state; has the Tennessee r. passing through its s.
E. part. It contains 672 sq. ms. The Cumberland Mountains pass
through it; and on its n. w. side, the streams are discharged
into Cumberland r. Capital, Jacksborough. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 6,863, sheep 4,954, swine 22,803; wheat 14,240 bush,
produced, rye 1,951, I. corn 199,758, oats 43,270, potatoes
6,154, cotton 1,781 pounds, sugar 5,715; 10 stores, cap.
$33,500; 5 forges, 5 tanneries, 19 distilleries, 1 powder m., 37
grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $21,681. 2 sch. 56 scholars.
Pop. 1830, 5,110; 1840, whites 5,831, slaves 264, free col'd 54;
Campbell, County, Ky. Situated in the n. part
of the state, on the Ohio r. Licking r. passes w. of it, and
enters the Ohio nearly opposite to Cincinnati. The surface is
uneven, and the soil fertile. Capital, Newport. There were in
1840, neat cattle 2,446, sheep 4,071, swine 5,589; wheat 27,702
bush, produced, rye 1,110, Ind. com 112,147, oats 19,167,
potatoes 15,371, tobacco 23,010 pounds; 3 stores, cap. $6,100.
Cap. in manufac. $7,065. 8 sch. 186 scholars. Pop. 1840, whites
4,921, slaves 289, free col'd 4; total, 5,214.
Campbell, t., Warwick co., Ia. It has 4 sch. 125 scholars. Pop.
Campbell, p-o., Lawrence co., O.
Campbell Creek, p-o., Bath t., Steuben co., N. Y., 224 w. by s.
Albany, 304 W.
Campbell, t., Steuben co., N. Y., 10 s. e. Bath, 209 w. s. w.
Albany. The surface is hilly, and the soil clay and marly loam.
Watered by Conhocton r. It has 1 store, cap. $3,000: 2 fulling
m., 1 woolen fac, 2 grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,775.
4 sch. 237 scholars. Pop. 852.
Campbell's Bridge, p-o., Marion dist., S. C, 139 e. by n.
Columbia, 441 W.
Campbellsburg, p-v., Henry co., Ky., 31 n. w. Frankfort, 573 W.
Campbell's Port, p-o., Portage co., O.
Campbell's Station, p-o., Knox co., Tenn., 168 e. Nashville, 513
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!