Campbell's Store, VA to Canton, IL
Campbell's Store, p-o., Pendleton co., Va.
Campbellsville, p-v., Giles co., Tenn., 67 s. by w. Nashville,
Campbellsville, p-v., Greene co., Ky., 77 s. s. w. Frankfort,
Campbellton, p-v., capital of Campbell co., Ga., 102 n. w.
Milledgeville, 699 W. It lies on both sides of the Chattahoochee
River, and contains 25 houses.
Campbelltown, p-o., Jackson co., Flor.
Campbelltown, p-o., Campbell t., Steuben co., N. Y., 223 w. by
s. Albany, 238 W".
Campbelltown, p-v., Lebanon co., Pa., 15 e. Harrisburg, 125 W.
Camp Branch, t., Warren co., Mo. Pop. 527.
Camp Call, p-o., Cleveland co., N. C.
Camp Creek, p-o., Green co., Tenn., 264 e. Nashville, 440 W.
Camp Creek, p-o., Livingston co., Ky., 240 w. s. w, Frankfort,
Camp Creek, t., Pike co., O. It has 1 saw m. Cap. in manuf. $90.
6 sch. 181 scholars. Pop. 298
Camp Creek, p-o., Hancock co., Ill., 113 n. w. Springfield, 874
Camp Ground, p-o., Appling co., Ga., 163 s. s. e. Milledgeville,
Camp Ridge, p-o., Williamsburg dist., S. C., 114 s. e. Columbia,
Camp Spring, p-o., Lawrence co., Ala., 93 n. by E. Tuscaloosa,
Campton, p-t., Grafton co., X. H., 47 n. by w. Concord, 528 W.
The surface is uneven, with some mountains, and rocky ledges.
Watered by Pemigewasset r. and its branches. The soil in the
valleys is good. The natural growth is white oak and pitch pine,
in the s. part. Chartered in 1767. It has 3 stores, cap.
$10,500; 2 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $19,405. 14 sch. 486 scholars. Pop. 1,513.
Camptown, p-v., Orange t., Essex co., N. J., 3i s. w. Newark, 52
n. e. Trenton, 218 W. It has 1 church, free to all
denominations, built of stone, 3 stories high, the lower story
occupied as an academy, the second as a church, and the third as
a Masonic hall, 1 Presbyterian church, 3 stores, and 75
dwellings, somewhat scattered. Elizabeth r. affords water power,
on which is 1 saw m. and 1 grist m. The American army camped
here in the revolutionary war, whence it derives its name.
Camptown, p-o., Bradford co., Pa.
Campville, p-o., Owego t., Tioga co., N. Y., 154 s. w. Albany,
Campville, p-o., Coles co., Ill., 103 e. s. e. Springfield, 695
Canaan, p-t., Somerset co., Me., 13 e. Norridgewock, 36 n. by e.
Augusta, 631 W. It lies on the e. side of Kennebec r., and is a
good farming town. Incorporated in 1788. It has 5 stores, cap.
$7,500; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 11 sch. 555 scholars.
Canaan, p-t., Grafton co., N. H., 41 n. w. Concord, 496 W.
Drained by Mascomy r. and its tributaries. The soil is tolerably
fertile. Chartered in 1761. First settled in 1766. It has
several ponds, one of which, on high ground, is curiously
surrounded by a mound of earth, apparently thrown up by the
motion of the ice, on its breaking up in the spring. It has 3
stores, cap. $14,500; 2 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 6
grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $43,800 1 acad. 144
students, 16 sch. 377 scholars. Pop. 1,576.
Canaan, p-t., Essex co., Vt., 31 n. Guildhall, 106 n. E.
Montpelier, 603 W. Situated in the extreme N. E. part of the
state, on Connecticut r. Chartered in 1782, settled in 1785. The
surface is rough, and the soil cold. It has 2 stores, cap.
$3,500; 1 tannery. Cap. in manufac. $300. 5 sch. 108 scholars.
Canaan, p-t., Litchfield co., Ct., 42 n. w. Hartford, 18 n. n.
w. Litchfield, 343 W. It lies on the e. side of Housatonic r.,
which has between this place and Salisbury a perpendicular fall
of 60 feet, forming, when the r. is full, a grand spectacle, and
affording extensive water power. Limestone is extensive, and the
lime is superior, and is extensively exported. The s. E. part of
the t. is mountainous, while other parts are level. The soil
along the streams is fertile. Watered by Blackberry r. and
Hollenbeck r., both of which supply mill seats. Iron has been
extensively manufactured and wrought here; but the ore is
brought from the w. part of Salisbury, on the border of the
state of New York. It has 8 furnaces; 10 stores, cap. $21,400; 3
fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 3 tanneries, 3 grist m., 10 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $61,925. 1 acad. 20 students, 14 sch. 584
scholars. Pop. 2,166.
Canaan, p-t., Columbia co., N. Y., 20 n. e. Hudson, 24 s. E.
Albany, 362 W. It has considerable hills, with fertile
intervening valleys. Bog iron ore and limestone are found.
Watered by tributaries to Kinderhook cr. The railroads from w.
Stoekbridge to Hudson, and from w. Stockbridge to Albany, pass
through the t. It has 4 stores, cap. $10,000; 2 fulling m., 3
woolen fac, 2 cotton fac. 268 sp., 1 tannery, 4 grist m., 8 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $31,800. 1 acad. 23 students, 8 sch. 685
scholars. Pop. 1,957.
Canaan, p-t., Wayne co., Pa., 159 n. e. Harrisburg, 253 W.
Drained by branches of Lackawaxen cr. Carbondale and Honesdale
railroad passes through it. The surface is partly mountainous
and partly level; the soil, gravel and loam. It has 1 store,
cap. $11,000; 11 sch. 548 scholars. Pop. 1,462.
Canaan, p-t., Wayne co., O., 107 n. e. Columbus, 350 W.
Canaan, p-v., Jefferson co., Ia., 84 s. s. e. Indianapolis, 560
Canaan Centre, p-v., Canaan t., Columbia co., N. Y., 26 s. e.
Albany, 364 W. It has a church, a store, and a flourishing
Canaan Four Corners, p-v., Canaan t., Columbia co., N. Y., 25 s.
w. Albany, 363 W. It is an agricultural settlement, with a
church, store, and 12 or 15 dwellings.
Canaan, t., Hillsdale co., Mich. Pop. 164.
Canaan, t., Wayne co., O. Pop. 1,827.
Canaan, t., Madison co., O. It has 2 stores, cap. $1,350; 1
fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$2,175. 8 sch. 315 scholars. Pop. 607.
Canaan, t., Marion co., O. It has 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $45.
5 sch. 200 scholars. Pop. 1,027.
Canaan, t., Athens co., O. It is situated on the Hockhocking r.,
and contains salt-works, and various mills. It has 4 stores,
cap. $2,000; 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,250. 4
sch. 76 scholars. Pop. 800.
Canaanville, p-o., Athens co., O., 80 s. e. Columbus, 341 W.
Canada Creek, the w. and largest branch of Mohawk r., 60 miles
long. It has several rapids and cascades which afford
Canadaiga, p-o., Otsego co., N. Y., 68 w. Albany, 372 W.
Canadice, p-t., Ontario co., N. Y., 18 s. w. Canandaigua, 218 w.
Albany, 334 W. The surface is hilly; soil, clay loam and sand,
some of which is fertile. It has several ponds or lakes, one of
which is 3 miles long, and half a mile wide. It has 3 saw ra.
Cap. in manufac. $3,300. 11 sch. 611 scholars. Pop. 1,341.
Canajoharie, p-t., Montgomery co., N. Y., 50 w. n. w. Albany,
395 W. The surface is hilly and the soil fertile. Drained by
Bowman's and Otsquake creeks, which flow into the Mohawk. The v.
is situated on the s. side of Mohawk r. Incorporated in 1829. It
has 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Dutch Reformed, 1 Lutheran,
and 1 Methodist, an academy, 10 stores, 2 grist m., 2
distilleries, 1 brewery, 1 furnace, 2 saw m. It furnishes fine
stone for building and for the construction of locks in the Erie
Canal. The Erie Canal passes through the centre of the v. The
Catskill and Canajoharie railroad will terminate here. There are
in the t., 11 stores, cap. $41,000; 2 furnaces, 2 fulling m., 2
tanneries, 2 distilleries, 4 grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $59,239. 2 acad. 265 stud., 28 sch. 1,655 scholars.
Canal, p-o., Van Buren t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 147 w. n. w.
Albany, 354 W.
Canal, p-t., Venango co., Pa., 218 n. w. Harrisburg, 292 W. It
has 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $10,050. 3 sch. 65 scholars. Pop. 867.
Canal Dover, p-o, Dover t., Tuscarawas co., O., 116 n. e.
Columbus, 316 W.
Canal Port, p-o., Allen co., Ia.
Canal Fulton, p-v., Lawrence t., Tuscarawas co., O., 125 n. e.
Columbus, 330 W. Situated on the e. side of Tuscarawas r. and on
the Ohio canal. It contains 6 warehouses, 6 stores, 1 steam saw
m., 1 tannery, 1 brewery, 70 dwellings and about 400
Canal Winchester, p-o., Fairfield co., O.
Canandaigua, p-t., capital of Ontario co., N. Y., 195 w. by n.
Albany, 341 W. The surface consists of gentle hills and
beautiful plains, and the soil is fertile. The v. is
delightfully situated at the n. end of Canandaigua Lake. It
contains a court house, jail, and other county buildings, a town
hall, 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, 1
Methodist, and 1 African, 2 banking houses, and a bank for
savings, an academy, and a female seminary, which are
flourishing, 25 stores, 2 printing offices, 1 steam flouring m.,
and 1 saw m.; 350 dwellings and about 2,790 inhabitants. The
village is built with neatness and taste, and presents many
desirable situations. It is surrounded by a rich agricultural
country, was incorporated in 1815, and is one of the most
pleasant places in western New York. The t. has 26 stores, cap.
$112,300; 2 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2 printing offices, 1
bindery, 1 weekly paper, 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$59,200. 4 acad. 500 students, 20 sch. 1,318 scholars. Pop.
Canandaigua Lake, is 14 miles long, and from 1 to l¼ miles wide,
and with its highly cultivated shores, presents many fine views.
The water is remarkably clear, and abounds with excellent fish.
Its outlet flows into Flint creek, then into Clyde r., and
thence into Seneca r., the common outlet of a cluster of lakes.
Canandaigua, v., Lenawee co., Mich., 17 w. Adrian, 82 s. w.
Detroit. Situated on the e. side of Bean cr. It has 1 store, and
a flouring mill.
Canasauga, p-v., Bradley co., Term., 174 s. e. by e. Nashville,
586 W. It is situated near Hiwassee r.
Canastota, p-v., Lenox t, Madison co., N. Y., 119 w. n. w.
Albany, 364 W. Situated on the Erie canal, and near the Syracuse
and Utica rail-road. It contains 1 Dutch Reformed and 1
Methodist church, 8 stores and forwarding houses, 120 dwellings,
and about 800 inhabitants. Incorporated, 1835.
Candia, p-t., Rockingham co., N. H., 18 s. e. Concord, 470 W.
Incorporated in 1763. The surface is elevated, constituting, in
its w. part, the height of land between the ocean and Merrimac
r. It commands an extensive view of the surrounding country,
reaching to the White Hills in the n. and to the ocean. The soil
is hard, but fertile and well cultivated. It has 5 stores, cap.
$6,300; 1 fulling m., 13 sch. 498 scholars. Pop. 1,430.
Candor, p-t., Tioga co., N. Y., 8 n. Owego, 171 s. w. Albany,
285 W. The surface is hilly, and the soil generally a fertile
loam. Drained by Cottotong and West Owego creeks. The v.
contains 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, and 1
Methodist, 3 stores, 2 grist m., 3 saw m., 1 clothier's works,
45 dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants. There are in the town,
4 stores, cap. $24,000; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries,
2 grist m., 54 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $51,273. 1,141 scholars
in schools. Pop. 3,370.
Candor, p-v., Washington County, Pa., 227 w. Harrisburg, 254 W.
It has 2 sch. 100 scholars. Pop. 223.
Caneadea, p-t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 10 n. Angelica, 271 w. by
s. Albany, 347 W. The Genesee r. flows nearly through its
centre, receiving several small mill streams. Soil, clay and
sandy loam. The village is on the e. side of Genesee r. and has
1 store, 1 saw m., 1 fulling m., and 12 or 15 dwellings. There
are in the t., 6 stores, cap. $11,200; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 10
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $16,150. 7 sch. 279 scholars. Pop.
Cane Creek, p-o., Chatham co., N. C, 50 w. Raleigh, 324 W.
Cane Creek, p-o., Lincoln co., Tenn., 75 s. Nashville, 720 W.
Cane Creek, p-o., White co., Ill., 196 s. e. Springfield, 766 W.
Cane Creek, p-o., Benton co., Ala., 162 n. e. by e. Tuscaloosa,
Cane Creek, p-o., Wayne co., Mo., 216 s. e. Jefferson City, 940
Cane Hill, p-t., Washington co., Ark., 192 n. w. Little Rock,
Cane Spring, p-o., Bullit co., Ky., 62 w. by s. Frankfort, 606
W. Pop. 923.
Cany Spring, p-o., Marshall co., Tenn., 42 s. Nashville, 705 W.
Canyville, p-v., Grayson co., Ky., 173 s. w. Frankfort, 661 W.
Canfield, p-t., Trumbull co., O., 164 n. e. by e. Columbus, 14
s. by e. Warren, 293 W. The soil is productive. It has 10 sch.
460 scholars. Pop. 1,279.
Canfield's Corners, p-o., Nichols t., Tioga co., N. Y., 166 s.
w. by w. Albany, 272 W.
Canisteo, p-t., Steuben co., N. Y., 243 w. s. w. Albany, 14 s.
w. Bath, 711 W. The surface is broken; soil, clay and calcareous
loam, and adapted to grazing and to gram. The hills are covered
with a heavy growth of pine. Watered by Canisteo r. and its
tributaries. On the streams are rich alluvial flats. It has 2
stores, cap. $2,000; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 9 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $13,010. 8 sch. 316 scholars. Pop. 941.
Canisteo r., N. Y., rises in Alleghany co., and enters Tioga r.
in Steuben co., after a course of 50 ins., 40 of which are
Cannonsburg, p-o., Hancock co., O.
Cannon's Ferry, p-o., Sussex co., Del., 51 s. Dover, 115 W.
Cannonsville, p-o., Tompkins t., Delaware co., N. Y., Ill w. by
s. Albany, 307 W.
Canoga, p-v., Fayette t., Seneca co., N. Y., 173 w. Albany, 339
W. It is situated about a mile w. of Cayuga Lake. Near it is a
spring, which discharges water sufficient to turn a mill It has
2 churches, 3 stores, 1 flouring in., 1 saw m., 1 clothier's
work, 80 dwellings and about 500 inhabitants.
Cannon, County, Tenn., situated in the central Fart of the
state, and contains about 100 sq. ms. Drained by small branches
of Cumberland river. Surface, hilly; soil, fertile. Capital,
Woodbury. There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,188, sheep 9,746;
swine 28,939; wheat 38,065 bush, produced, rye 1,249, Ind. corn
419,828, oats ,56,800, potatoes 9,115, tobacco 32,235 pounds,
cotton 29,201, sugar 8,545 ; 4 stores, cap. $15,050; 7
tanneries, 18 distilleries, 1 flouring m., 19 grist m., 9 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $20,145. 1 acad. 25 students, 19 sch. 495
scholars. Pop. whites 6,558, slaves 618, free col'd 17; total,
Cannonsbuug, p-b., Washington co., Pa., 216 w. Harrisburg, 18 s.
w. Pittsburg, 243 W. Situated on Chartier's cr., and contains
about 700 inhabitants. The place is supported chiefly by
Jefferson College, located here. This institution was founded in
1802. It has a president, and 6 professors or other instructors,
224 alumni, 120 students, and 3,300 volumes in its libraries.
The commencement is on the fourth Wednesday in September. Its
course is completed in 3 years. A medical department is attached
to it, located in Philadelphia. There is a theological school
connected with the institution, under the care of the
vice-president; and it has supplied many clergymen to the
western country. It has 17 stores, cap. $17,500; 1 tannery. Cap.
in manufac. $2,250. Pop. 687.
Cannon's Store, p-o., Spartanburg dist., S. C., 121 n. n. w.
Columbia, 479 W.
Cannouchee, r., Ga., the w. and largest confluent of Ogeechee
r., 140 ms. long, navigable 50 ms. to Cedar cr.
Canonicut, island, in Narraganset bay, R. I., is 7 miles long
and 1 broad, 3 w. Rhode Island.
Cantatoe, p-o., Bedford t., Westchester co., N. Y., 125 s.
Albany, 273 W.
Canterbury, p-t., Merrimac co., N. H., 8 n. Concord, 116 W. The
surface is uneven, and the soil good. It has several ponds, the
outlets of which furnish mill seats. The Merrimac r. forms its
w. boundary, over which are 2 bridges. First settled in 1727.
There is a Shakers' v. in the s. e. part. It has 3 stores, cap.
$4,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen factory, 3 tanneries, 2
distilleries, 1 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,473. 12
sch. 575 scholars. Pop. 1,643.
Canterbury, p-t., Windham co., Ct., 12 n. Norwich, 41 e.
Hartford, 368 W. The surface is uneven, and the soil a fertile
gravelly loam. First settled in 1690. In the central parish is a
pleasant village, in the middle of which is a public square, on
one side of which stands a neat Congregational church. Quinebaug
River forms its e. boundary, and furnishes a good shad fishery,
in the spring. A bridge connects it with Plainfield. It has 1
fulling mill, 2 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac. 1,000 sp., 2
tanneries, 6 grist m., 10 saw m., 16 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$44,500. 12 sch. 538 scholars. Pop. 1,791.
Canterbury, p-v., Cornwall t., Orange co., N. Y., 89 s. Albany,
289 W. It is situated 1 m. w. of Cornwall Landing, on the Hudson
r. It contains 3 stores, 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 4 churches,
1 Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, 1 Orthodox Friends, and 1 Hicksite
Friends, 80 dwellings, and about 500 inhabitants.
Canterbury, p-v., Kent co., Del., 8 s. by w. Dover, l16 W.
Situated at the head of Mother Kill creek.
Canton, p-t.., Oxford co., Me., 30 w. n. w. Augusta, 602 W. The
Androscoggin River passes through it. Incorporated in 1821. The
soil is good. It has 3 stores, cap. $7,500; 8 sell. 370
scholars. Pop. 919.
Canton, p-t., Norfolk co., Ms., 16 s. by w. Boston, 426 W. 2
ponds give rise to 2 branches of Neponset River, which affords
water power. Incorporated in 1797. The soil is indifferent, but
the t. has considerable manufactures. The Boston and Providence
railroad passes through the town, and has an expensive granite
bridge, or viaduct, over one of its streams, 600 feet long, and
63 feet above its foundation, supported on arches. It has 9
stores, cap. $16,000 ; 3 furnaces, 5 forges, 2 woolen fac, 4
cotton fac. 1,868 sp., 2 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 acad. 16
students, 7 sch. 506 scholars. Pop. 1,995.
Canton, p-t., Hartford co., Ct., 13 n. w. by w. Hartford, 339 W.
First settled in 1740, incorporated 1806. The surface is uneven,
and the soil coarse and stony. Farmington r. passes through its
s. w. part. It has some manufactures, particularly of axes. It
has 3 stores, cap. $12,500; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 powder
m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $323,990. 8 sch. 310 scholars.
Canton, p-t., capital of St. Lawrence co., N. Y., 223 n. n. w.
Albany, 495 W. The surface is gently undulating, and the soil a
fertile clay loam. Watered by Grass r. and its branches. The
Oswegatchie enters its n. w. corner. Marble is found here, and
sulphate of iron, from which copperas and alum are extensively
manufactured. The v. is on Grass r., and contains a courthouse,
jail, and clerk's office, 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Methodist, and 1 Union, 1 acad., 6 stores, 1 grist m., 2 saw m.,
1 oil m., 1 clothier's works, 1 furnace, 1 tannery, and a marble
fac, 125 dwellings, and about 800 inhabitants. Here is a fine
bridge across Grass r. There are in the t., 1 furnace, 8 stores,
cap. $24,500; 3 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 4 grist m., 3 saw m.
Capital in manufac. $24,515. 1 acad. 223 students, 22 sch. 854
scholars. Pop. 3,465.
Canton, p-v., Salem co., N. J., 69 s. s. w. Trenton, 184 W.
Situated on the w. branch of Stow creek.
Canton, p-t., Bradford co., Pa., 136 n. Harrisburg, 246 W.
Surface hilly; soil, gravelly loam. Watered by Towanda cr. and
its tributaries. It has 2 stores, cap. 3,500; 2 fulling m., 1
tannery, 3 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,275. 8 sch.
407 scholars. Pop. 1,254.
Canton, t., Washington co., Pa. The surface is slightly
undulating; soil, loam. Coal is abundant. Drained by Chartiers
cr. and its tributaries. Washington b. lies partly in this t. It
has 1 store, cap. $500; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1
flouring m., 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 5 sch. 230 scholars. Pop.
Canton, p-t., capital. Stark co., O., 124 n. e. Columbus, 313 W.
The v. is pleasantly situated in the forks of Nimisilla cr.,
which unite 1½ m. below the v., and it is surrounded by a
fertile country. First settled in 1806. It has a court house,
jail, 3 brick offices, 4 churches, mostly of brick 1
Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, 1 German Lutheran, and 1 Roman
Catholic, 18 or 20 stores, 1 academy, a market house, a bank, a
library company, a mechanics' society, 2 printing offices, and
nearly 300 dwellings. It has 1,284 scholars in sch. Pop. 3,299.
Canton, p-v., Washington co., la., 97 s. Indianapolis, 600 W.
Canton, p-v., Fulton co., Ill., 69 n. n. w. Springfield, 819 W.
It is pleasantly situated on the border of a large prairie. It
has 1 acad. 27 students, 3 sch. 78 scholars. Pop. 762.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!