Carroll County, OH to Castleton, VT
Carroll, County, O., situated in the e. part of
the state. Established in 1833. It contains 400 sq. ms. Drained
by Sandy, Conoten, and the n. fork of Yellow creek. Soil, very
fertile. Capital, Carrollton. There were in 1840, neat cattle
12,841, sheep 23,382, swine 16,519; wheat 252,428 bushels
produced, rye 22,568, Ind. corn 137,939, buckwheat 13,593, oats
218,278, potatoes 38,164; 16 stores, cap. $39,500; 4 tanneries,
2 distilleries, 5 flouring m., 11 grist m., 14 saw m., 1 oil ra.,
2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
$30,250. 1 acad. 32 students, 23 sch. 681 scholars. Pop. 18,108.
Carroll, County, Ia., situated toward the n. w.
part of the state. It contains 380 sq. ms. The Wabash r. passes
through it. It has also Deer, Rock, and Wildcat creeks.
Organized in 1828. The surface is generally level, and has both
timber and prairie land. The Wabash and Erie Canal passes
through it. Capital, Delphi. There were in 1840, neat cattle
7,903, sheep 5,928, swine 17,443; wheat 69,172 bushels produced,
rye 2,214, Ind. corn 298,331, buckwheat 835, oats 76,636,
potatoes 26,736, sugar 77,650 pounds, tobacco 3,773; 20 stores,
cap. $59,264; 7 tanneries, 5 distilleries, 1 pottery, 3 flouring
m., 10 grist m., 30 saw m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. 889,065; 1 acad. 60 students, 11
sch. 288 scholars. Pop. 1830, 1,611; 1840, 7,819.
Carroll, County, Ill., situated in the n. part
of the state, and contains 445 sq. ms. The surface is undulating
and the soil fertile. The Mississippi r. forms its w. boundary.
Drained by Plum and Rush creeks. Capital, Savanna. There were in
1840, neat cattle 952, sheep 237, swine 2,385; wheat 7,226
bushels produced, Ind. com 26,530, oats 10,150, potatoes 7,805;
7 stores, cap. $12.000; 4 sch. 100 scholars. Pop. 1,023.
Carroll, County, Mo., situated toward the x. w.
part of the state, and has the Missouri r. on its s border, and
Grand r. on the x. e. It contains 700 sq. ms. Drained by Waconda
r. and branches of Grand r. Capital, Carrollton. There were in
1840. neat cattle 3,652, sheep 2,113, swine 16,885; wheat 1,100
bushels produced, Ind. corn 141,73:), oats 10,545, potatoes
6,401, tobacco 7,320 pounds; 8 stores, cap. $9,200 5 1 tannery,
1 distillery, 5 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1 1.600. 1
sch. 26 scholars. Pop. whites 2,155, slaves 268; total, 2,423.
Carroll, County, Ark., situated in the n. w.
part of the state. Drained by branches of White r. and Little
Red r. Capital, Carrollton. There were in 1840, neat cattle
4,300, sheep 2,033, swine 10,429; wheat 4,462 bushels produced,
Ind. corn 119,539, oats 1,252, potatoes 4,823, tobacco 6,995
pounds, cotton 6,754; 9 stores, cap. .$16,448; 3 distilleries,
12 grist m., 1 saw m., 8 schools, 185 scholars. Pop. whites
2,707, slaves 137; total, 2,844.
Carroll, p-t., Coos co., N. H. It lies at the base of the While
Mountains, on the n. w. Chartered in 1772. The surface is
uneven, and its aspect uninviting. It has 1 saw m., 2 sch. 75
scholars. Pop. 218.
Carroll, p-t., Chautauque co., N. Y., 336 w. by s. Albany, 313
W. The surface is hilly, and the soil sandy loam. Drained by
Connewango and Stillwater crs. It has 3 stores, cap. $14,000; 2
tanneries, 2 grist in., 22 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,105.
Carroll, t., York co., Pa. It has 3 stores, cap. $16,000; 2
tanneries, 6 distilleries, 3 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manuf.
$28,800. Pop. 571 .
Carroll, t., Washington co., Pa. It has 14 stores, cap. $25,000;
3 tanneries. Cap. in manufac. $2,800. 2 sch. 70 scholars. Pop.
Carroll, t, Ottawa co., O. It has 1 sch. 24 scholars. Pop. 232.
Carroll, p-o., Calhoun co., Mich., 121 w. by s. Detroit, 586 W.
Carroll, p-v., Carroll co., Ia., 59 n. Indianapolis, 616 W.
Situated on the n. side of Wabash r.
Carroll, t., Cambria County Pa. It has 1 tannery, 2 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $300. 5 sch. 150 scholars. Pop. 696.
Carroll, t., Perry co., Pa. It has 2 stores, cap. $2,700; 2
fulling m., 1 woolen fac., 1 distillery, 1 flouring m., 2 grist
m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manuf. $8,838. 7 sch. 315 scholars. Pop.
Carrollsville, p-v., Tishamingo co., Miss., 208 x. E. by x.
Jackson, 855 W.
Carrollton, p-v., Centre t., capital of Carroll co., O., 125 n.
e. Columbus, 296 W. It has a court house, several stores, and a
printing office, at which a weekly newspaper is issued.
Carrollton, p-v., capital of Carroll co., Ky., 46 n. n. w
Frankfort, 588 W. Situated on the s. bank of Ohio r., at the
junction of Kentucky r. It has a court house, jail, 3 churches,
1 Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, and 1 African, 7 stores, 1 steam
saw m., and about 850 inhabitants.
Carrollton, p-v., capital of Carroll co., Ga., 131 w. n. w.
Milledgeville, 719 W. Situated on the s. fork of Tallapoosa r.,
near the centre of the county. It contains a court house, jail,
2 or 3 stores, and 10 or 12 houses.
Carrollton, p-v., capital of Pickens co., Ala., 42 w.
Tuscaloosa, 860 W. Situated on the w. side of Lubbub cr., and
contains a court house and several dwellings.
Carrollton, p-v., capital of Carroll co., Miss., 92 n. by e.
Jackson, 979 W. Situated on the s. side of Big Sandy cr., and
contains a court house and a few dwellings.
Carrollton, p-v., capital of Carroll County, Ark., 212 n. n. w.
Little Rock, 1,146 W. Situated on the s. side of Crooked cr.
Contains a court house and several dwellings.
Carrollton, p-v., capital of Greene co., Ill., 69 s. w.
Springfield, 834 W. It is a pleasant village, on the borders of
Spring prairie. It has a handsome brick court house, 23 stores,
2 steam flouring m., 2 steam saw m., and 1 tannery. It contains
4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, and a
Reformers' Society. The houses of the village are neatly built,
many of them of brick. The country around is beautiful and well
cultivated. It has 3 schools, 120 scholars. Pop. 667.
Carrollton, p-v., Carroll co., Mo., 124 x. w. Jefferson City,
1,018 W. It is situated on Waconda cr., 6 miles n. of Missouri
r. It has a neat brick court house, and about 300 inhabitants.
Carrollton, in Centre t., Carroll co., O. It has 3 sch. 145
scholars. Pop. 698.
Carrollville, p-v., Wayne co., Tenn., 113 s. w. Nashville, 790
Carrsville, p-o., Isle of Wight co., Va.
Carryall, t., Paulding co., Ohio. Pop. 345.
Carsonville, p-v., Talbot co., Ga., 75 w r . s. w.
Milledgeville, 731 W.
Carteret, County, N. C. Situated in the s. e.
part of the state, and contains 600 sq. ms. It lies along the
Atlantic coast. The surface is level; sod, sandy and marshy,
with sandy isles and reefs in front, on one of which is Cape
Look-out. Capital, Beaufort. There were in 1840, neat cattle
4,721, sheep 2,003, swine 7,034; wheat 2,133 bush, produced,
Ind. corn 32,674, potatoes 41,120, cotton 4,283 pounds; 15,347
barrels of tar, pitch, &c, produced, 893 bush, salt; 17 stores,
cap. $31,300; 7 grist m., 2 saw in. Cap. in manufac. $52,800. 3
sch. 47 scholars. Pop. 1830, 6,607; 1840, whites 5,087, slaves
1,360, free col'd 144; total, 6,591.
Carter's Bridge, p-o., Albemarle co., Va., 83 w. n. w. Richmond,
Carter's Creek, p-o., Williamson co., Tenn., 30 s. Nashville,
Carter, County, Tenn. Situated in the n. e.
corner of the state, and contains 540 sq. ms. Drained by Watauga
r., a branch of Holston r. The surface is elevated, rocky and
mountainous, on its e. and s. border. Capital, Elizabethtown.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 3,932, sheep 3,470, swine
11,252; wheat 22,603 bush, produced, rye 999, Ind. corn 150,041,
buckwheat 1,732, oats 54,530, potatoes 14,339, silk cocoons 71
lbs., tobacco 3,711, sugar 7,092; 4 stores, cap. $21,000; 3
furnaces, 8 forges, 4 tanneries, 8 distilleries, 1 powder m., 1
flouring m., 23 grist m., 18 saw m., 1 printing office. Cap. in
manufac. $26,495. 2 acad. 48 students, 3 sch. 60 scholars. Pop.
1830, 6,414; 1840, whites 4,998, slaves 352, free col'd 22;
Carter, County, Ky. Situated in the n. e. part
of the state. Drained by Little Sandy r. and Tygarts creek.
Surface hilly. Capital, Grayson. There were in 1840, neat cattle
3,041, sheep 2,968, swine 6,760; wheat 2,155 bush, produced, rye
1,532, Ind. corn 99,080, oats 25,550, potatoes 4,526, tobacco
3,246 pounds, sugar 7,413, salt 8,000 bush.; 2 tanneries, 5
grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,000. 2 sch. 50 scholars.
Pop. whites 2,711; slaves 186, free col'd 8; total, 2,905.
Carter's Hill, p-o., Montgomery co., Ala., 130 s. e. Tuscaloosa,
Carter's Station, p-o., Greene co., Tenn., 255 e. Nashville, 441
Carter's Store, p-o., Nicholas co., Ky., 62 e. by n. Frankfort,
Cartersville, p-v., Cumberland co., Va., 46 w. by n. Richmond,
124 W. Situated on the s. side of James r.
Cartersville, p-o., Tishamingo co., Miss., 248 n. n. e. Jackson,
Carthage, p-t., Franklin co., Me., 41 n. w. Augusta, 619 W.
Watered by Webb's r., a branch of the Androscoggin. It contains
several ponds, the outlets of which enter Webb's r. Incorporated
in 1826. It has 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 8 sch. 248 scholars. Pop.
Carthage, p-v., Wilna t., Jefferson co., N. Y., 152 n. w.
Albany, 431 W. Situated on the n. e. side of Black r., where are
2 bridges. Incorporated in 1841. It has 1 Methodist and 1 Ro-man
Catholic church, an academy, 10 stores, 1 furnace, 2 forges, 1
rolling m., 1 nail fac, 1 axe fac, 1 flouring m., 2 saw m., 100
dwellings, and about 600 inhabitants. The Long Falls, commencing
at this place, furnish extensive water power. The r. below, is
not navigable; but above, it is boatable 40 miles, to the High
Falls, where the Black River canal commences.
Carthage, p-v., Mill Creek t., Hamilton co., O., 8 n.
Cincinnati, 116 s. w. Columbus, 502 W. It is a pleasant village
in the centre of the co., which causes it to be the place of
large public meetings. The annual fair of the Hamilton co.
Agricultural Society is held here.
Carthage, p-o., Campbell co., Ky.
Carthage, p-v., capital of Moore co., N. C, 79 s. w. Raleigh,
367 W. Situated 3 ms. e. of McLennon's cr. It contains a court
house and several dwellings.
Carthage, p-v., Tuscaloosa co., Ala., 17 s. Tuscaloosa, 835 W.
Carthage, p-v., capital of Leake co., Miss., 57 n. e. Jackson,
961 W. It contains a court house and several dwellings.
Carthage, p-v., capital of Smith co., Tenn., 52 e. Nashville,
632 W. Situated on the n. side of Cumberland r., opposite the
entrance of Cany Fork cr. It contains 1 church, an academy, 6
stores, 1 large tobacco stemmery, and about 600 inhabitants.
Carthage, t., Athens co., O. Situated in the s. e. part of the
county. The surface is broken and hilly, and the soil but
moderately good. It has 1 store, cap. $2,000; 1 tannery, 1 grist
m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,800. 4 sch. 87 scholars. Pop.
Carthage, p-v., Rush co., Ia., 32 e. s. e. Indianapolis, 547 W.
Carthage, v., Brighton t., Monroe co., N. Y., 2 n. Rochester, at
the lower falls of Genesee r. Below this, the r. is navigable
for steamboats, 5 ms. to Lake Ontario. It contains 60 dwellings,
and has an inclined plane with machinery, by which articles are
drawn up from the landing place, 160 feet above, and a flight,
of 237 steps. From the summit, a railroad proceeds to Rochester.
A bridge of a single arch, of 352 feet chord, and 196 feet above
the water, was built here in 1819, at a cost of $27,000; but
fell in 1820, with a tremendous crash, and is not likely to be
Carthage, p-v., capital of Hancock co., Ill., 106 w. n. w.
Springfield, 880 W. Situated 9 ms. from the Mississippi r.,
between Bear and Long creeks. Laid out in 1833. It contains 4
stores, and various mechanic shops. In the vicinity is excellent
timber, and abundance of coal. It is a growing place.
Caruthus Cross Roads, p-o., McMinn co., Tenn., 164 Nashville,
Carver, p-t., Plymouth co., Mass., 47 s. e. Boston, 447 W. There
are several ponds in the t., the soil is indifferent, but it has
some manufactures. Iron ore is found. It has 2 stores, cap.
$1,800; 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $15,600. 7 sch. 250 scholars.
Carversville, p-o., Bucks co., Pa., 108 e. Harrisburg, 170 W.
Carysville, p-o., Champaign co., O., 60 w. n. w. Columbus, 454
Cascade, p-o., Pittsylvania co., Va., 192 w. s. w. Richmond, 275
Cascade, p-o., Dubuque co., Iowa.
Casco Bay, Cumberland co., Me. It sets up from the Atlantic,
between Cape Elizabeth and Cape Small Point, 20 miles apart, and
affords fine anchorage. It contains 300 islands, mostly small,
but generally very productive.
Caseville, p-v., Olive t., Ulster co., N. Y., 76 s. s. w.
Albany, 330 W. It has a church, 1 grist m., 1 tannery, and a few
Casey, County, Ky., central in the s. part of
the state. Drained by the head waters of Green r. Salt r. also
has its rise here. It contains 448 sq. ms. Capital, Liberty.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,400, sheep 8,361, swine
25,070; wheat 14,636 bush, produced, rye 10,200, Ind. corn
287,025, oats 59,948, potatoes 13,263, tobacco 51,800 pounds,
sugar 22,642; 3 stores, cap. $11,000; 5 tanneries, 9
distilleries, 2 flour-ing m., 15 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $14,450. 1 acad., 5 sch. 143 scholars. Pop. whites
4,371, slaves 531, free col'd 37; total, 4,939.
Casey, p-o., Clark co., Ill., 121 e. s. e. Springfield, 679 W.
Caseyville, p-o., Union co., Ky.
Casker's Valley, p-o., Macon co., N. C, 337 w. by s. Raleigh,
Cash town, p-v., Adams co., Pa., 43 s. w. Harrisburg, 83 W.
Situated on the turnpike road from Gettysburg to Chambersburg.
Cashville, p-v., Spartanburg dist., S. C., 102 n. w. Columbia,
Cass, County, Ga., in the n. w. part of the
state. Drained by Etowah r. and Sulacoe cr. Surface hilly; soil,
on the margins of the streams very fertile. Capital, Cassville.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,141, sheep 3,744, swine
32,691; wheat 51,613 bush, produced, rye 1,089, Ind. com
469,361, oats 49,274, potatoes 10,697, tobacco 6,430 pounds,
cotton 3:26,403; 53 stores, cap. 667,578; 2 furnaces, 6
tanneries, 15 distilleries, 2 flouring m., 16 grist m., 14 saw
m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac.
$19,680. 16 sch. 463 scholars. Pop. whites 7,381, slaves 1,995,
free col'd 14; total, 9,390.
Cass, County, Mich. Situated in the s. w. part
of the state, having the state of Indiana s., and contains 528
sq. ms. Drained by St. Joseph's, Christiana, and Dowagiake
rivers. The surface is gently undulating, and the soil is of a
superior quality. It is diversified with lakes, prairies and oak
openings. Capital, Cassopolis. There were in 1840, neat cattle
7,179, sheep 5,524, swine 11,411; wheat 95,101 bush, produced,
Ind. corn 177,925, buckwheat 1,064, barley 1,886, oats 93,833,
potatoes 132,319, sugar 83,369 pounds; 10 stores, cap. $49,700;
4 tanneries, 1 distillery, 2 flouring m., 4 grist m., 22 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. 863,817. 25 sch. 827 scholars. Pop. 1830, 919;
1840, 5,710. .
Cass, County, Ia. Situated centrally in the n.
part of the state, and contains 415 sq. ms. Watered by Wabash
r., and Eel r. Organized in 1829. The general face of the
country is level, and abounds with springs of excellent water,
and the streams afford good mill seats. The Wabash and Erie
Canal passes through the co. Capital, Logansport. There were in
1840, neat cattle 4,598, sheep 2,015, swine 9,266; wheat 23,990
bush, produced, Ind. corn 118,755, buckwheat 720, oats 37,304,
potatoes 30,496. sugar 20,400 pounds; 27' stores, cap. $7,200; 3
tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 pottery, 3 flouring m., 2 grist m.,
14 saw m.," 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in
manufac. $67,300. 13 sch. 276 scholars. Pop. 5,480.
Cass, County, Ill. Situated centrally in the w.
part of the state, and contains 256 sq. ms. Drained by branches
of Sangamon r., on the n. and head branches of Indian and other
creeks, which fall into the Illinois r., on the w. and s. The
surface is undulating, consisting of timber and prairie; soil,
very fertile. Capital, Virginia. There were in 1840, neat cattle
4,318, sheep 3,098, swine 12,260; wheat 25,812 bush, produced,
Ind. corn 192,830, oats 21,162, potatoes 12,694, tobacco 350
pounds; 2 commission houses, cap. $10,000; 8 stores, cap.
$40,476; 1 woolen fac, 1 brewery, 5 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $5,575. 7 sch. 279 scholars. Pop. 2,981.
Cass, p-t., Hancock co., O., 100 n. w. Columbus, 446 W. It has 1
store, cap. $500; 1 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $900. 6 sch. 225
scholars. Pop. 617.
Cass, river, Mich., a considerable branch of Saginaw r., which
it enters 20 miles from its mouth. It is a fine mill stream; and
in high water, is boatable 15 or 20 miles from its mouth.
Cass, p-t., Ionia co., Mich., 133 w. n. w. Detroit, 620 W. It
has 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,600. Pop. 202.
Cassadaga Lake, a small body of water in Chautauque co., N. Y.,
which gives rise to Cassadaga cr., a fine mill stream, which
enters into Connewango cr.
Cassadaga, p-o., Pomfret t., Chautauque co., N. Y., 331 w. by s.
Albany, 337 W.
Cassopolis, p-v., capital of Cass co., Mich., 167 s. w. Detroit,
615 W. It is situated on the n. w. border of Stone lake, and has
a handsome court house, a jail, 5 stores, 100 dwellings, and
about 400 inhabitants.
Cassville, p-v., Paris t., Oneida co., N. Y., 86 n. n. w.
Albany, 375 W. Situated on Sauquoit cr. It has 2 churches, 2
stores, 2 grist m., 2 saw m., 2 fulling m., 1 distillery, 40
dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants.
Cassville, p-o., Monmouth co., N. J., 25 e. Trenton, 188 W.
Cassville, p-v., capital of Cass co., Ga., 144 n. w.
Milledgeville, 645 W. It contains a court house, an academy, 3
churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist, and 4
Cassville, p-v., Grant co., Wis., 126 w. s. w. Madison, 928 W.
Situated on the e. bank of the Mississippi r. It is a place of
considerable trade, and contains several stores and dwellings.
Castalian Springs, p-o., Sumner co., Tenn., 34 n. e. Nashville,
Castile, p-t., Wyoming co., N. Y., 249 w. Albany, 358 W. The
surface is rolling, soil gravelly loam, and well adapted either
to grass or to grain. The Genesee r. flows on its eastern
border. Silver lake lies in the n. part of the t. The v. has 3
stores, 1 grist m., several saw m., and 25 dwellings. There are
in the t., 4 stores, cap. $2,750; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2
grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $24,800. 17 sch. 604
scholars. Pop. 2,833.
Castine, p-t., and seaport, Hancock co., Me., 31 s. Bangor, 122
e. n. e. Portland, 75 e. Augusta, 671 W. The v. is on a
peninsula, on the E. side of Penobscot bay, opposite to Belfast.
Settled by the French in 1667, by the English in 1760. It has a
spacious and excellent harbor, accessible at all seasons of the
year, and capable of receiving ships of the largest class. It is
a neat and pleasant village. It might easily be fortified, so as
to make it a place of immense strength; but the British had
possession of it in the revolutionary, and late war. Its back
country is not extensive; but it has considerable trade in
lumber, and employs considerable ship-ping in the coasting trade
and the fisheries. There are in the t., 27 stores, cap. $97,400,
$10,200 invested in the fisheries; 2 tanneries, 1 grist m. Cap.
in manufac. $14,050. 7 sch. 406 scholars. Pop. 1,188.
Castle Craig, p-o., Campbell co., Va., 136 w. by s. Richmond,
Castle Fin, p-o., York co., Pa., 55 s. Harrisburg, 85 W.
Castleman's, r., Pa., the e. branch of Youghiogeny r. It is a
rapid stream, with many falls. The Baltimore and Ohio railroad
will pass along its banks.
Castleton, p-t., Rutland co., Vt., 10 w. Rutland, 14 e.
Whitehall, 74 s. s. w. Montpelier, 450 W. The surface consists
of hills and valleys; soil generally good, and particularly on
the streams. Watered by Castleton r. In the w. part is Lake
Bombazine, mostly in this t., 8 ms. long, and 2i broad, at the
greatest breadth, containing a beautiful island of 10 acres. The
outlet furnishes good mill seats. The v. is pleasantly situated
on Castleton r. Its public buildings are 2 churches, 1
Congregational, and 1 Methodist, the Rutland co. grammar school,
and 2 buildings of the Vermont academy of medicine. The latter
was founded in 1318, and in 1819 was connected with Middlebury
College, through which its degrees are conferred, either at
Middlebury or at Castleton. It has 5 professors, 57 students,
and 514 graduates. The lectures commence on the 2d Thursday in
March. The t. has 1 furnace. 6 stores, 1 grist m., 7 saw m., 1
oil m., 1 acad. 190 students, 10 sch. 596 scholars. Pop. 1,769.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!