Castleton, NY to Central, PA
Castleton, p-v., Schodack t., Rensselaer co., N. Y., 8 s. by e.
Albany, 362 W. Situated on the e. bank of Hudson r. Incorporated
in 1827. It has a Methodist church, 5 stores, 3 store houses, 6
brick yards, 50 dwellings, and about 350 inhabitants. It has 5
sloops employed on the r.
Castleton, t., Richmond co., N. Y., 155 s. Albany. It is
situated on the n. end of Staten Island. It contains the
villages of Tompkinsville and New Brighton. The surface of the
t. is hilly and broken, but the soil is generally fertile, and
well cultivated. It has 25 stores, cap. $30,800; 1 lumber yard,
cap. $10,000: 1 tannery, 5 flouring m., 2 grist m. Cap. in
manufac. $238,405. 11 sch. 520 scholars. Pop. 2,263.
Castor, t., Madison co., Mo. It has 2 sch. 45 scholars. Pop.
Caswell, County, N. C. Situated in the n. part
of the state, and contains 400 sq. ms. Drained by Dan r. and its
branches. The soil is productive, and the climate healthy.
Capital, Yanceyville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,836,
sheep 10,075, swine 26,787; wheat 78,632 bush, produced, rye
2,890, Ind. corn 509,480, oats 121,885, potatoes 15,528, tobacco
3,665,342 pounds, cotton 82,649; 22 stores, cap. $206,500; 1
cotton fac. 1,008 sp., 6 tanneries, 14 distilleries, 6 flour-ing
ra., 21 grist m., 16 saw m., 4 oil m., 1 printing office, 1
weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $134,630. 4 acad. 109
students, 16 sch. 307 scholars. Pop. 1830, 15,188; 1840, whites
7,343, slaves 7,024, free col'd 326; total, 14,693.
Catawba, p-o., Chester dist., S. C., 62 n. Columbia, 456 W.
Catahoola, Parish, La. Situated toward
the n. e. part of the state, and contains 2,100 sq. ms. It has
Tensas r. on its e. border, and Wachita r., and Macon and Boeuff
Bayous, pass through it. The e. part is liable to be overflowed;
but in the w. part, it rises into moderate hills. In this part,
the water is good, but the land is sterile, covered mostly with
pine timber. On the streams, where it is not overflowed, the
soil is fertile. Capital, Harrisonburg. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 13,138, sheep 861, swine 19,931; Ind. corn 120,986 bush,
produced, potatoes 13,057, cotton 2,499,400 pounds; 5 stores,
cap. $31,600; 51 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $28,250. 1
acad. 50 students, 5 sch. 103 scholars. Pop. 1830, 2,581; 1840,
whites 2,935, slaves 1,998, free col'd 22; total, 4,955.
Catahoola, river, La., rises in Claiborne par., and enters a
lake on the s. part of Catahoola parish; and after passing
through it, emerges a river, which enters Wachita r. This lake,
which is of considerable dimensions, is filled at high water,
and drained nearly or quite dry, when the r. is low.
Catawba, r. (See Santee r.)
Catawba, p-o., Clark co., O., 34 w. Columbus, 427 W.
Catawba Creek, p-o., Lincoln co., N. C, 188 w. by s. Raleigh,
Catawba Springs, p-v., Lincoln co., N. C, 158 w. by s. Raleigh,
Catawba View, p-o., Caldwell co., N. C, 173 w. by s. Raleigh,
410 W. Situated on the s. side of Catawba r.
Catawissa, p-t., Columbia co., Pa., 81 n. n. e. Harrisburg, 191
W. The v. is situated on the Susquehanna r., at the mouth of the
Catawissa cr. The Little Schuylkill and Catawissa rail-road
passes through it. It has 2 furnaces and 2 forges, 3 stores,
cap. $25,000; 2 tanneries, 1 paper fac, 2 flouring m., 2 grist
m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $24,425. 1 acad. 50 students, 7
sch. 228 scholars. Pop. 2,064.
Catawissa Forge, p-v., Catawissa t., Columbia co., Pa., 87 n. n.
e. Harrisburg, 197 W.
Catawissa Valley, p-o., Schuylkill co., Pa., 87 Harrisburg, 197
Catfish, p-o., Marion dist., S. C, 138 e. Columbia, 431 W.
Catharines, p-t., Chemung co., N. Y., 16 n. Elmira, 182 w. by s.
Albany, 295 W. The surface is hilly; soil, clay, loam, and
gravelly. Drained by Catharines cr., which flows into Seneca
Lake. Cayuta cr., in the n. part of the t., flows into the
Susquehanna r. In the v. there are 2 churches, 1 Episcopal and 1
Methodist, 2 stores, 1 tannery, and about 20 dwellings. Pop. of
the t. 2,424. It has 1 furnace; 20 stores, cap. $62,550; 1
tannery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 1 flouring m., 2
grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $65,770. 12 sch. 680
Cathey's Creek, p-o., Buncombe co., N. C., 294 w. Raleigh, 524
Catlettsburg, p-v., Greenup co., Ky., 150 e. n. e. Frankfort,
410 W. It is on the Ohio r., below the mouth of Big Sandy r., in
the extreme n. e. part of the state. It contains only 2 or 3
Catlin, t., Chemung co., N. Y., 10 n. Elmira, 190 w. s. w.
Albany. The surface is hilly; soil, gravelly loam. Drained by
Catharine's cr. on the n., and by tributaries of Chemung r. s.
It has 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,750. 3 sch. 92 scholars.
Cato, p-t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 13 n. Auburn, 163 w. by n.
Albany, 349 W. The surface is undulating, and the soil, a
fertile sandy loam. It has several swamps and small lakes.
Seneca r., which flows through its s. part, enters and passes
through Cross lake in its s. e. part. The v. has 1 church, 2
stores, and about 25 dwellings. Pop. of the t. 2,380. It has 1
furnace, 3 stores, cap. 915,700; 1 tannery, 4 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $4,180. 1 acad. 17 students, 13 sch. 872 scholars.
Cato, p-o., Clay co., Ill., 126 Springfield, 752 W.
Cato Four Corners, p-o., Cato t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 165 w. by
n. Albany, 351 W.
Catonsville, p-v., Baltimore co., Md., 36 N. Annapolis, 46 W.
Caton, t., Steuben co., N. Y., 25 s. e. Bath, 216 w. s. w.
Albany. The surface is hilly; soil, gravelly loam. Watered by
tributaries of Chemung r., which afford water power. It has 2
stores, cap. $8,000; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 9 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $13,440. 5 sch. 237 scholars. Pop. 797.
Catron, p-o., Lawrence co., Tenn., 73 s. s. w. Nashville, 750 W.
Catskill, p-t., capital of Greene co., N. Y., 34 s. Albany, 336
W. The surface is hilly and mountainous on the w., but level
toward the Hudson r., which washes its e. border. The soil is
clay, sand, and loam, underlaid with slate, limestone, and
graywacke. Drained by Catskill cr. and its tributaries. The v.
is pleasantly situated on both sides of Catskill cr., near its
junction with the Hudson River. Incorporated in 1806. It has a
court house, a jail, 5 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Dutch
Reformed, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, 2 banking houses,
20 stores, 20 groceries, 2 bookstores, various mechanic
establishments, 2 furnaces, 1 brewery, 400 dwellings, and 2,800
inhabitants. Pop. of the t. 5,339. There are owned here 1
steamboat, 4 barges, and several sloops, employed between this
place and New York City. A ferry here crosses the Hudson. The
Catskill and Canajoharie railroad commences here, and is
finished and in operation 26 miles of the distance. The t. has
31 stores, cap. $130,200; 1 lumber yard, cap. $10,000; 2 com.
houses, cap. $73,780; 3 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 furnaces, 2
tanneries, 1 powder m., 2 printing offices, 1 bindery, 2 weekly
newspapers, 1 flouring m., 4 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. m manufac.
$162,700. 19 sch. 541 scholars.
Pine Orchard, a favorite summer resort, is situated on the brow
of the Catskill mountains, in the s. E. part of the town, where
is a large and commodious hotel, called the "Mountain House,"
elevated 2,212 feet above the Hudson r., and commanding a very
extensive and beautiful view of die Hudson r., and the country
to the e., extending to the Green mountain range, in
Massachusetts and Vermont. Nowhere can more wild and romantic
scenery be found than at this spot. A little to the w. of the
hotel are 2 ponds, the outlets of which unite, and proceed by
falls and rapids, in a deep ravine, to the plain below. The
first fall is 180 feet perpendicular, and within a short
distance is a second fall of about 80 feet. By a circuitous path
the traveler can pass down and go under the rock, and behind the
water of the first fall, which presents a singular and
interesting view. The spectator in this mountain eyrie often
sees thunder storms discharging themselves on the valley beneath
him, while he enjoys a clear sky. A road is constructed from the
steamboat landing on the Hudson, on which stages constantly run
for the transportation of travelers, to and from the Mountain
House, which is 12 ms. distant from Catskill village.
Catskill Mountains, N. Y., rise in Ulster co., and extending
through Green and Schoharie counties, bend, increscent form,
toward the Mohawk r. Round Top, the highest peak, measured by
the barometer, is 3,804 feet above tide water, and a second peak
is 3,718 feet. On the E. front the mountain is precipitous; but
on the w. side, the descent is comparatively gentle. In these
mountains the bear, the wolf, the wildcat, and the deer, are
still to be found.
Cattaraugus, County, N. Y., situated in the w.
part of the state, contains 1,232 sq. ms. The surface is
elevated. Cattaraugus cr. and its tributaries flow n. into Lake
Erie, while the Alleghany r. with its tributaries, in the s.
part, flows toward the Gulf of Mexico. The soil is fertile, and
adapted to grazing. Cattle and lumber are extensively exported.
Peat, marl, bog iron ore, manganese and sulphur, and saline
springs are found. The Genesee Valley canal extends from
Rochester to Olean, in this county, and the New York and Erie
railroad is designed to pass through it. Capital, Ellicottville.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 35,566, sheep 66,525, swine
22,533; wheat 127,665 bush, produced, rye 1,112, Ind. corn
81,202, buckwheat 8,377, barley 10,134, oats 254,339, potatoes
452,353, hops 1,050 pounds, sugar 553,235; 59 stores, cap.
$214,900; 6 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 24 tanneries, 1 pottery, 1
distillery, 26 grist m.,135 saw m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $495,425. 3 acad. 140 students, 189
sch. 7,722 scholars. Pop. 1830, 16,726; 1840, 28,872.
Caughnawaga, v., Mohawk t., Montgomery co., N. Y. Situated on
the n. side of Mohawk r., connected with Fulton v., opposite, by
a toll bridge. It contains 1 Dutch Reformed church, erected in
1766, 2 stores, 30 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.
Cauleysyille, p-v., Covington co., Ala., 199 s. s. e.
Tuscaloosa, 895 W.
Cavehill, p-o., Greene co., Tenn., 271 e. Nashville, 450 W.
Cavendish, p-t., Windsor co., Vt., 74 s. Montpelier, 466 W.
Watered by Black r. and Twenty Mile stream. At the falls on
Black r. the channel of the r. has been worn down 100 feet deep,
and rocks of very large dimensions have been undermined and
thrown down one upon another. First settled in 1769. It has 5
stores, cap. $25,000; 13 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 4 tanneries,
2 grist m., 10 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $94,250. 17 sch. 426
scholars. Pop- 1,427.
Cave Spring, p-o., Floyd co., Ga., 178 n. w. Milledgeville, 689
Cave Spring, p-o., Maury co., Tenn., 54 s. s. w. Nashville, 730
Cave Spring, p-o., Pulaski co., Mo., 115 s Jefferson City, 1,030
Cavetown, p-v., Washington co., Md., 107 n. w. Annapolis, 77 W.
Cayuga, County, N. Y. Situated centrally in the
n. part of the state, and contains 648 sq. ms. It extends n. to
Lake Ontario. It has a productive soil, and is well watered. It
has salt springs, which were formerly worked, and are second in
the state only to those of Onondaga. Gypsum is also found, and
several sulphur springs. Owasco lake lies in the centre of the
co., and Cayuga Lake on its w. border, and Skeneateles lake on
its E. border. Seneca r. flows through it. The Erie Canal and
the Western railroad pass through it. Capital. Auburn. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 45,516, sheep 188,152, swine 63,153;
wheat 578,436 bush, produced, rye 3,321, Ind. corn. 568,011,
buckwheat 40,669, barley 81,440, oats 527,038, potatoes 687,305,
hops 2,615 pounds, sugar 206,545; 3,250 bush, salt produced; 3
commission houses in for. trade, cap. $7,000; 165 stores, cap.
$784,547; 7 lumber yards, cap. $16,800; 7 furnaces, 22 fulling
m., 8 woolen fac, 2 cotton fac 6,184 sp., 1 dyeing and print
establishment, 29 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 1 brewery, 1 rope
fac, 9 flouring m., 42 grist m., 112 saw m., 1 oil m., 2 paper
fac, 4 printing offices, 1 bindery, 1 daily, 3 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufactures $1,304,375. 1 college, 48
students, 8 acad. 601 students, 311 sch. 16,243 scholars. Pop.
1830, 47,948; 1840,50,338.
Cayuga Lake, N. Y., lies between Seneca and Tompkins counties,
is 40 ms. long, and from 1 to 3£ broad. It is very deep, and has
fine fish. A steamboat passes through it from Cayuga bridge to
Ithaca, calling at the intermediate places. Its shores are
highly cultivated. Its outlet flows into Seneca r.
Cayuga, p-v., Aurelius t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 162 w. by n.
Albany, 339 W. It is situated on the n. e. part of Cayuga lake,
and contains 3 stores, 1 church, 50 dwellings, and about 300
inhabitants. Here is a bridge across Cayuga Lake over a mile in
length, and a railroad bridge, still longer. A steamboat runs
from this place to Ithaca, at the head of the lake, 40 miles.
Cayuga, p-o., Jackson co., Mich., 100 w. Detroit, 570 W
Cayuga, p-o., Hinds co., Miss., 37 s. w. Jackson, 1,047 W.
Cayuta, p-t., Chemung co., N. Y., 12 n. e. Elmira, 188 w. s. w.
Albany, 289 W. The surface is hilly and broken, and the natural
growth hemlock and pine. Drained by Cayuta cr. and its
tributaries. It has 2 stores, cap. $6,000; 1 tannery, 3 grist
m., 7 saw. Capital in manufactures, $11,580. 6 sch. 225
scholars. Pop. 835.
Cazenovia, p-t., Madison co., N. Y., 113 w. by n. Albany, 348 W.
The surface is elevated and undulating; and the soil, a fertile
gravelly loam. Watered by Cazenovia lake and Chittenango or.,
which flows n. into Oneida lake. It has 16 stores, rap. $62,370;
5 fulling m., 3 woolen fac, 6 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 1 paper
fac, 4 printing olfi-ce8, 1 bindery, 1 weekly newspaper, 2
periodicals, 6 grist m., 16 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$236,905. 1 acad. 399 students, 32 sch. 1,117 scholars. Pop.
Cazenovia, p-o., Cook co., Ill., 215 n. e. by n. Springfield,
Cearcy, t., Phillips co., Ark. Pop. 359.
Cecil, County, Md., situated in the n. e. part
of the state, and contains 264 sq. ms. The surface is
undulating, and the soil moderately good. It is favorably
situated for commerce, being accessible by the Chesapeake Bay,
which bounds it on the w. The Susquehanna r. runs on its vv.
border, and Elk r. penetrates its central part. The Chesapeake
and Delaware canal passes through it, Capital, Elkton. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 9,779, sheep 8,936, swine 13,854;
wheat 107,238 bush, produced, rye 1,802, Ind. corn 276,621,
buckwheat 6,480, oats 254,891, potatoes 40,731, hops 583 pounds;
71 stores, cap. $141,675; 5 lumber yards, cap. $17,000; 5
forges, 3 fulling m., 3 woolen fac, 2 cotton fac. 124 sp., 5
tanneries, 1 pottery, 1 flouring m., 27 grist in., 35 saw m., 5
paper fac, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in
manufac. $109,838. 3 acad. 107 students, 29 sch. 1,050 scholars.
Pop. 1830, 15,432; 1840, whites 13,329, slaves 1,352, free col'd
2,551; total, 17,232.
Ceciltown, p-v., Cecil co., Md., 78 n. e. Annapolis, 112 W.
Cecil, t., Washington co., Pa., 10 n. e. Washington, Pa. The
surface is various; soil, loam. Coal is abundant. Miller's
branch of Chartiers cr. passes through it. It contains a
Presbyterian church. It has 3 stores, cap. $6,000; 3 flouring
m., 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufactures, $8,000; 3 sch.
105 scholars. Pop. 1,027.
Cecil's Tavern, p-o., Anne Arundel co., Md., 30 n. w. Annapolis,
Cedar, County, Iowa, situated in the central
part of the Ter. Watered by Cedar cr. and its branches, Rock
run, Rock cr., and Sugar cr. Wabesipinica r. passes through its
n. e. corner. Capital, Tipton. There were in 1840, neat cattle
1,274, sheep 328, swine 345; wheat 14,464 bush, produced, Ind.
corn 49,317, oats 12,120, potatoes 8,731, sugar 13,529 pounds; 3
stores, cap. $1,500; 2 flouring m., 5 grist m., 4 saw m. Pop.
Cedar, t., Boone co., Mo. Pop. 3,313.
Cedar, t., Callaway co., Mo. It has 2 sch. 50 scholars. Pop.
Cedar, p-o., Livingston co., Mich., 59 w. by n. Detroit, 562 W.
Cedar Bluff, p-v., capital of Cherokee co., Ala., 152 n. e.
Tuscaloosa, 677 W.
Cedar Branch, p-o., Campbell co., Ga.
Cedar Creek, t., Cooper co., Mo. It has 2 sch. 42 scholars. Pop.
Cedar Creek, p-o., Monmouth co., N. J., 46 s. e. Trenton, 207 W.
Cedar Creek, p-v. and hundred, Sussex co., Del. It has 5 stores,
cap. $6,500; 10 grist m., 6 saw m., 2 sch. 27 scholars. Pop.
Cedar Creek, p-o., Frederick co., Va., 158 n. n. w. Richmond, 86
Cedar Creek, p-o., Richland dist., S. C., 14 e. Columbia, 514 W.
Cedar Creek, p-o., Dooly co., Ga., 103 s. s. w. Milledgeville,
Cedar Creek, p-o., Owen co., Ky., 17 n. Frankfort, 559 W.
Cedar Creek, t., Allen co., Ia. It has 1 sch., 35 scholars. Pop.
Cedar Creek, p-o., Greene co., Tenn., 253 e. Nashville, 451 W.
Cedar Creek, p-o., Warren co., Ill., 127 n. w. Springfield, 857
Cedar Creek, p-o., Lowndes co., Miss., 143 n. e. Jackson, 897 W.
Cedar Creek Mills, p-o., Stephenson co., Ill., 206 n.
Springfield, 838 W.
Cedar Grove, p-o., Orange co., N. C., 48 n. w. Raleigh, 284 W.
Cedar Grove, p-o., Union dist., S. C., 76 n. w. Columbia, 470 W.
Cedar Grove, p-o., Wilson co., Tenn., 25 e. Nashville, 659 W.
Cedar Grove, p-o., Jefferson co., Ala., 95 n. e. Tuscaloosa, 749
Cedar Grove, p-o., Franklin co., Ia., 76 e. s. e. Indianapolis,
Cedar Grove Mills, p-o., Rockbridge co., Va., 153 w. Richmond,
195 W. It contains 2 stores, and 1 flouring m.
Cedar Hill, p-o., Bethlehem t., Albany co., N. Y., 8 s. by w.
Albany, 363 W.
Cedar Hill, p-o., Anson co., N. C., 155 s. w. Raleigh, 400 W.
Cedar Lake, p-o., Calhoun co., Mich., 110 w. Detroit, 575 W.
Cedar Lake, p-o., Lake co., Ia.
Cedar Lawn, p-o., Lunenburg co., Va., 104 s. w. Richmond, 220 W.
Cedar Plains, p-o., Morgan co., Ala., 124 n. n. e. Tuscaloosa,
Cedar River, p-o., Cedar co., Iowa.
Cedar Shoals, p-o., Chester dist., S. C., 57 n. Columbia, 450 W.
Cedar Spring, p-o., Cumberland co., Pa.
Cedar Springs, p-o., Spartanburg dist., S. C., 96 n. w.
Columbia, 477 W
Cedar Swamp, p-v., Oyster Bay t., Queens co., N. Y., 173 s. by
e. Albany, 253 W.
Cedartown, p-v., capital of Paulding co., Ga., 151 n. w.
Milledgeville, 691 W. Situated on the n. side of Tallapoosa r.
It contains the usual county buildings.
Cedar Valley, p-o., Wayne co., O.
Cedarville, p-v., Litchfield t., Herkimer co., N. Y., 79 w. by
n. Albany, 333 W. It has 2 churches, 2 stores, 1 tannery, and a
number of dwellings.
Cedarville, p-v., Fairfield t., Cumberland co., N. J., 75 s. by
w. Trenton, 186 W. It is pleasantly situated on Cedar cr., 4 ms.
from its mouth. It has 1 store, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., an
extensive button fac. and 60 dwellings. It has some trade in
wood and lumber.
Cedarville, p-o., Washington co., Va., 297 w. by s. Richmond,
Celina, p-v., capital of Mercer co., O., 127 w. n. w. Columbus,
507 W. Situated on the n. of the Grand Reservoir of the Miami
canal, which will be 10 ms. long and 5 broad, when completed. It
has a court house, 1 Presbyterian church, 3 stores, 75
dwellings, and about 500 inhabitants.
Celina, p-o., Jackson co., Tenn., 91 e. Nashville, 630 W.
Centennary College, p-o., Rankin County, Miss.
Central, t., St. Louis co., Mo. It has 5 sch. 135 scholars. Pop.
Central, p-o., Columbia co., Pa., 118 n. by e. Harrisburg, 22S
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!