Charlottesville, IN to Cherokee,
County, N. C
Charlottesville, p-v., Hancock co., Ia., 28 e. Indianapolis, 543
W. Situated on the e. side of a small branch of Blue r., and on
the national road.
Charlton, p-t., Worcester co., Mass., 53s. w. by w. Boston, 337
W. Chartered in 1754. The surface is rough, but the soil good.
It has some manufactures. It has 8 stores, cap. $12,500: 1
fulling m., 1 cotton fac. 716 sp., 1 tannery, 7 grist m., 10 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $32,000. 13 sch. 581 scholars. Pop. 2,117.
Charlton, p-t., Saratoga co., N. Y., 25 n. n. W. Albany, 393 W.
The surface is undulating; soil, clay, sand, and sandy loam, and
fertile. Drained by a branch of the Mohawk r. The v. contains 3
stores, 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Methodist,
and 1 Universalist, 2 grist m., 2 saw m., 2 tanneries, 50
dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants. Pop. of the town, 1,933.
There are in the t. 5 stores, cap. S12,100; 1 fulling m., 1
woolen fac. 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$10,400. 10 sch. 333 scholars.
Charlton Depot, p-o., Charlton t., Worcester co., Mass., 56 w.
s. w. Boston, 386 W.
Chartiers, creek, a small river of Pa., rises in Washington co.,
and after a course of 30 ms., falls into the Ohio, 4 ms. below
Pittsburg. It drains a fertile country, abounding with
Chartiers, t., Washington County, Pa., 6 n. Washington. The
surface is hilly; soil, loam, with abundance of coal. Chartiers
cr. flows on its s. border. Cannonsburg lies on this cr. It has
7 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufactures, $3,075. Pop. 1,616.
Chateaugay, p-t., Franklin co., N. Y., 202 n. by w. Albany. 541
W. Drained by Chateaugay r. and its branches, which flows n.
into Canada, entering the St. Lawrence a little w. of Montreal.
The surface is uneven, and the soil clay and sandy loam. It has
4 stores, cap. $42,000; 1 fulling m., 4 tanneries, 2 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $14,100. 21 sch. 779 scholars. Pop. 2,824.
Chatfield, p-t., Crawford co., O., 73 n. Columbus, 412 W.
Organized in 1830. Watered by Sycamore cr., which affords some
Chatham, County, N. C. Situated in the central
part of the state, and contains 858 sq. miles. Watered by Haw
and Deep rs., which unite in its s. part to form Cape Fear r.
The soil is clayey and fertile, producing corn, wheat, oats,
cotton, and tobacco. The surface is rolling. Capital, Pittboro'.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 13.800, sheep 14,759, swine
37,356; wheat 94,342 bush, produced, rye 1,308. Ind. corn
446,708, oats 93,368, potatoes 38,014, silk cocoons 149 pounds,
tobacco 536,886, cotton 399,728; 19 stores, cap. $53,000; 1
furnace, 1 cotton fac. 1,050 sp., 9 tanneries, 70 distilleries,
2 potteries, 12 flouring m., 67 grist m., 40 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $115,632. 6 acad. 128 students, 11 sch. 237 scholars.
Pop. 1830, 15,499; 1840, whites 10,609, slaves 5.316, free col'd
317; total, 16,242.
Chatham, County, Ga. Situated in the s. e. part
of the state, on Savannah r. It contains 405 sq. ms. The surface
is level, and but little elevated above tide water. Its chief
productions are rice, cotton and sugar. Capital, Savannah. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 6,810, sheep 2,563, swine 6,279; Ind.
corn 58,118 bush, produced, oats 3,815, potatoes 39,325, rice
6,158,516 pounds, silk cocoons 614, cotton 1,157,106; 52
commission houses in for. trade, cap. $943,500; 193 stores, cap.
$856,990; 1 grist m., 4 saw m., 4 printing offices, 2 binderies,
3 daily, 3 weekly, 3 semi-weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
$309,580. 3 acad. 385 students, 10 sch. 352 scholars. Pop. 1830,
14,127; 1840, whites 6,801, slaves 11,331, free col'd 669;
Chatham, p-t., Barnstable co., Mass., 96 s. e. Boston, 497 W.
Situated on the s. E. point of Cape Cod, and has a good harbor
on a bay, in-side of Chatham beach. Incorporated in 1712. The
inhabitants are chiefly employed in the fisheries and the
coasting trade, both of which employ a considerable number of
vessels. There were 32,000 bush, salt produced in 1840, and a
cap. of $33,750 invested in the fisheries. It has 13 stores,
cap. $20,400; 1 lumber yard, capital so.000; 7 grist m. Cap. in
manufac. $5,550. 1 acad. 30 students, 12 sch. 1,001 scholars.
Chatham, t., Middlesex co., Ct., opposite Middletown, 16 s.
Hartford. The surface is uneven, excepting near Connecticut r.,
where is a level and very fertile alluvial tract, of nearly a
mile in width. It has a fine landing at Middle Haddam, 6 miles
below Middletown, where is a village. It is watered by Salmon
River and Pine brook. A little n. e. of Middletown, on the bank
of the r., is a very valuable quarry of freestone, which has
been extensively wrought and exported. It has 9 stores, cap.
$32,000; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 4 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $96,600. 1 acad. 35 students, 17 sch. 779 scholars.
Chatham, p-t., Columbia co., N. Y., 18 s. by e. Albany, 16 n. e.
Hudson, 362 W. The soil is various, but well cultivated. Watered
by Kinderhook cr. The v. has 1 church. 3 stores, 1 grist m., 1
saw m., 1 iron foundry, 50 dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants
There are in the t., 17 stores, cap. $30,000; 3 fulling m., 1
woolen fac, 1 tannery, 3 paper fac, 8 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in
manufac $65,600. 17 sch. 1,205 scholars. Pop. 762.
Chatham, t., Medina co., O. It has 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$200. 4 sch. 153 scholars. Pop 555.
Chatham, p-t., Morris county, N. J., 56 n. n. e. Trenton, 22 1
W. Watered by Passaic r. The surface is undulating, with Long
Hill in its s. part. The v. contains 1 Presbyterian and 1
Methodist church, an academy, 3 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m.,
and 50 dwellings. The buildings are neat, and the surrounding
country is pleasant. Passaic r. passes through the v. There are
in the t., 10 stores, cap. $182,000; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 4
distilleries, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $36,800. 4
acad. 245 students, 5 sch. 185 scholars. Pop. 2,138.
Chatham, t., Carroll co., N. H., situated on the e. side of the
White Mountains. The sur-face is rough and mountainous.
Chartered in 1767. From a pond flows a head branch of Saco
River. It has 1 store, 1 fulling m., 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 6
sch. 213 scholars. Pop. 523.
Chatham, t., Tioga co., Pa. The surface is rolling; soil, loam,
adapted to grazing. Timbered with oak, beech, maple, and pine.
It has 1 store, cap. $2.500; 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. 89,200. 2
sch. 50 scholars. Pop. 689.
Chatham, p-v., Chester co., Pa., 63 e. s. e. Harrisburg, 102 W.
Chatham, p-o., Sangamon co., Ill., 10 n. n. w. Springfield, 790
Chatham, p-v., Newton t., Licking co., O.
Chatham Centre, p-o., Chatham t., Columbia county. N. Y., 19 s.
by e. Albany, 359 W. It has a small agricultural settlement of
10 or 12 dwellings.
Chatham Four Corners, p-v., Chatham t., Columbia county, N. Y.,
23 s. by e. Albany. 355 W. Here are 3 stores, and about 25
dwellings. The Hudson and Berkshire, and the Albany and West
Stockbridge railroads here form a junction.
Chatham Hill, p-o., Smith co., Va., 273 w. by N. Richmond, 341
Chattahoochee, r., Ga., Ala., rises in the Appalachian Mountains
and forms for a considerable distance the boundary between these
states, and constitutes the largest constituent of Appalachicola
r. It is navigable for steamboats to Columbus, Ga.
Chattahoochee, p-v., Gadsden co., Florida, 45 w. Tallahassee,
836 W. Situated on the E. side of the Appalachicola river. It
contains a United States arsenal. This place was formerly called
Chattanooga, p-o., Hamilton co., Tenn., 141 s. e. Nashville, 610
Chattooga, County, Ga., situated in the n. w.
part of the state, and contains 330 sq. ms. Surface,
mountainous; soil, fertile on the river bottoms. Capital,
Summerville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,129, sheep 2,037,
swine 12,338; wheat 18,789 bushels produced, rye 119, Indian
corn 201,568, barley 400, oats 12,503, potatoes 7,076, tobacco
8,206 pounds, cotton 112,941; 3 stores, cap. $5,500; 3
tanneries, 7 flouring m., 4 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$5,800. 1 acad. 35 students, 4 sch. 64 scholars. Pop. whites
2,624, slaves 814; total, 3,433.
Chattoogaville, p-v., Chattooga co., Ga., 185 n. w.
Milledgeville, 662 W.
Chaumont, p-v., Lyme t., Jefferson co., N. Y., 178 n. w. Albany,
430 W. It is situated at the head of the Chaumont bay, at the e.
end of Lake Ontario. It contains 1 church, 2 stores, 1 grist m.,
2 saw m., 1 tannery, 35 dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants. It
has an excellent harbor, easy of access, and Chaumont River
affords good water power. A fine blue limestone is found here,
and is much used for building, and in public works.
Chauncey, p-o., Athens co., O., 67 s. e. Columbus, 345 W.
Chautauque, County, N. Y., the western most
county of the state, lies on Lake Erie. Organized in 1808, and
contains 1,017 sq. ms. It has a lake coast of 30 miles, in which
are several good harbors for steamboats and lake vessels. A
dividing ridge, from 1,000 to 1,400 feet above tide water, not
more than from 5 to 8 miles from the lake, divides the waters
which flow into Lake Erie from those which go to the Gulf of
Mexico. The surface is hilly, but not mountainous; and the soil
is fertile, particularly on the streams and the lake shore. It
has several springs, which emit a pure carbureted hydrogen gas,
used in some places for lights. It has also springs charged with
sulphuretted hydrogen gas. It has bog iron ore and shell marble
in abundance. There were in 1840, neat cattle 63,515, sheep
136,315, swine 42,224; wheat 214,897 bushels produced, rye
1,671, Ind. corn 235,783, buckwheat 9,157, barley 24,789, oats
353,311, potatoes 778,219, hops 7,177 pounds, sugar 839,222; 7
com. houses in foreign trade, cap. $22,200; 132 stores, cap.
$505,165; 5 lumber yards, cap. $10,300; 3 furnaces, 26 full-ing
m., 2 woolen fac, 1 rope fac, 53 tanneries, 7 distilleries, 1
pottery, 3 flouring m., 46 grist m., 229 saw m., 2 oil m., 1
paper fac, 4 printing offices, 1 bindery, 1 periodical, 4 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $768,792. 11 acad. 803 students,
302 sch. 14,437 scholars. Pop. 1830, 34,057; 1840,47,975.
Chautauque, t., capital of Chautauque co., N. Y. The county
buildings are in the village of Mayville, 336 w. by s. Albany.
The surface is elevated and rolling; soil, argillaceous loam.
Drained by Chautauque cr. The town has 3 stores, cap. $34,400; 2
fulling m., 3 tanneries, 2 grist m., 14 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$36,930: 1 acad. 100 students, 22 sch. 820 scholars. Pop. 2,980.
Chautauque, lake, is a beautiful sheet of water, lying in the
central part of Chautauque co., N. V. It is 18 miles long, and
from 1 to 3 broad, excepting near the middle, where it is
connected by a strait, a few rods wide. It is elevated 726 feet
above Lake Erie, and 1,291 above the level of the ocean. It is
navigable for steam-boats from Mayville, at the n. part, to the
foot of the lake, and thence, by its outlet, it is boatable to
Connewango cr., a tributary of Alleghany r.; and rafts proceed
from the lake to the Gulf of 3Iexico. It is said to be the
highest body of water in the United States on which a steamboat
Chazy, p-t., Clinton co., N. Y., 178 n. Albany, 15 n.
Plattsburg, 553 W. It lies on Lake Cham-plain. Watered by Little
Chazy r. Chartered in 1804. It has a landing place on Lake
Champlain, and a village 3 ms. from the lake. It has 10 stores,
cap. $32,150; 3 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 4 tanneries, 3 grist
m., 23 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $53,045. 19 sch. 538 scholars.
Chazy, river, Clinton co., N. Y., after a course of 50 ms.,
falls into Lake Champlain, in the n. e. part of the county.
Cheat, river, Va., a branch of the Monongahela r., navigable for
boats except in dry seasons. The Portage of the Potomac is 37
Cheboygan, County, Mich. Situated on the n. point of the
southern peninsula, and contains 300 sq. ms. Principal stream,
Cheboygan r. Unorganized.
Cheek's Cross Roads, p-o., Hawkins' co., Tenn., 231 e. by n.
Nashville, 452 W.
Cheek's Store, p-o., Grainger co., Tenn., 209 e. Nashville, 148
Cheeksville, p-o., Marion co., Tenn., 122 s. e. Nashville, 487
Chelmsford, p-t., Middlesex co., Mass., 27 n. n. w. Boston, 442
W. It lies on the s. side of Menimac r., and is connected with
Dracut by a bridge. Incorporated in 1755. It abounds with
limestone and granite, the latter of which is exported through
the Middlesex canal, which passes through the t. It has some
manufactures, among which are those of glass and iron. The
present important town of Lowell belonged to this town, until
1824. It has 8 stores, cap $20,300; 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $11,400. 10 sch. 452 students. Pop. 1,697.
Chelsea, p-t . capital of Orange co., Vt. 24 s. e. Montpelier.
W. Watered by a branch White r., which affords water power.
Chartered in 1781, by the name of Turnersburg. Altered to
Chelsea in 1738. The surface is uneven soil, warm and
productive. It has a pleasant village, where is a court house,
jail, an elegant Congregational church, and about 70 or 80
dwelling. s. It has 6 stores, cap. $21,000; 2 fulling m., 1
woolen fac, 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$31,070. 18 sch. 659 scholars. Pop. 1,959.
Chelsea, p-t., Suffolk co., Mass., 4 n. e. Boston, 444 W.
Formerly a ward of Boston. Incorporated in 1738. It has
considerable manufactures. It is connected with Charlestown by a
bridge. It has 1 com. house, cap. $20,000; 11 stores, cap.
$29,000; 3 lumber yards, capital $13,000; 2 tanneries, 1
pottery, 1 grist m., 1 printing office. Cap. in manufac. 55,350.
1 acad. 20 students, 9 sch. 574 scholars. Pop. 2,290.
Cheltenham, t., Montgomery co. Pa. It has 4 stores, cap. 6,000;
1 forge, 1 flouring m., 5 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$11,250. 1 sch. 45 scholars. Pop. 1,053.
Chemung, r., N. Y., is formed by the junction of the Conhocton
with Tioga r., in Steuben co., and flows in a s. e. course, and
enters the Susquehanna r. at Athens, Pa. It furnishes good mill
seats, and, at high water, floats lumber and produce to market.
It is used as the main feeder of the Chemung canal.
Chemung, co., N. Y., situated in the s. part of the state, and
was taken from Tioga co. in 1836. It contains 530 sq. ms. The
surface is broken and hilly, but contains much good land,
particularly along the streams. Watered by Chemung r., Cayuta
cr., Newtown cr., and a creek which flows N. into Seneca Lake.
The Chemung canal, which connects Seneca Lake with the Chemung
r., at Elmira, passes through the co., as does the line of the
New York and Erie railroad. Capital, Elmira. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 21,406, sheep 37,975, swine 18,110; wheat 192,831
bushels produced, rye 18,513, Ind. com 120,732, buckwheat
62,590, barley 26,358, oats 203,174, potatoes 269,233, hops
1,044 pounds, sugar 74,926 ; 83 stores, cap. $234,235 ; 8 lumber
yards, cap. $38,000; 3 furnaces, 5 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 12
tanneries, 3 distilleries, 1 brewery, 3 flouring m., 25 grist
m., 85 saw m., 1 oil m., 4 printing offices, 2 binderies, 4
weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. .$313,075. 1 acad. 130
students, 99 schools, 4,837 scholars. Pop. 20,732.
Chemung, t., Chemung co., N. Y., 10 s. e. Elmira, 198 w. s. w.
Albany. The surface is hilly and broken, with fine alluvial
flats on Chemung r., which flows through its s. part. The soil
is a gravelly loam. In the s. E. part of the town, on "Spanish
Hill," elevated 110 feet above the plain, near the bank of the
r., are remains of fortifications, with regular entrenchments,
which would command the bend of the r. The line of the New York
and Erie railroad passes through the s. part of the town. It has
2 stores, cap. $4,500; 1 tannery, 5 grist m., 15 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $27,660. 15 schools, 486 scholars. Pop. 2,377.
Chenango, r., N. Y., rises in Madison and Oneida counties, and
after a course of 75 miles enters the Susquehanna, at
Chenango, County, N. Y., situated a little s.
e. of the centre of the state, and was formed from Herkimer and
Tioga, in 1798. It contains 800 square ms. The surface is broken
and hilly: its valleys are exceedingly fertile. Watered by
Chenango r. flowing through its centre, by Unadilla r. in the e.
and several creeks, which flow into the Chenango r. The Chenango
canal passes along the valley of Chenango r., and connects
Binghamton on the Susquehanna with the Erie canal at Utica.
Capital, Norwich. There were in 1840, neat cattle 64,322, sheep
197,746, swine 27,311 ; wheat 99,701 bush, produced, rye 26,992,
Ind. corn 159,203, buckwheat 25,603, barley 10,451, oats
406,032, potatoes 772,671, hops 6,774 pounds, sugar 344,018; 116
stores, cap. $438,490; 1 lumber yard, cap. $13,000; 32 fulling
m., 5 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac. 4,400 sp., 2 rope fac, 30
tanneries, 1 brewery, 45 grist m., 165 saw m., 2 oil m., 2 paper
fac, 4 printing offices, 2 binderies, 4 periodicals, 5 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $460,381. 8 acad. 733 students, 343
sch. 12,816 scholars. Pop. 1830, 37,238; 1840, 40,785.
Chenango, t., Broome co., N. Y., 145 s. w Albany. The surface is
hilly; soil, fertile, particularly on the rivers. Watered by
Chenango and Susquehanna rivers, which form a junction at
Binghamton. It has 23 stores, cap. $83,330; 1 tannery, 2
printing offices, 1 bindery, 2 weekly newspapers, 5 grist m., 26
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $19,950. 2 acad. 100 scholars, 30
schools, 1,404 scholars. Pop. 5,465.
Chenango Forks, p-v., Chenango t., Broome co., N. Y., 127 w. s.
w. Albany, 307 W. Situated at the junction of Tioughnioga r.
with Chenango r., on the Chenango canal. It contains a church, 4
stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 clothier's works, 1 tannery, and
a canal boat yard, 80 dwellings, and about 500 inhabitants.
Chenango, p-t., Beaver co., Pa., 233 w. by n. Harrisburg, 269 W.
It has 2 stores, cap. $1,500; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 2
distilleries, 1 flouring m., 5 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in
manufactures $32,900. 4 sch. 160 scholars. Pop. 1,435.
Cheneyville, p-v., Rapides par., La., 265 n. w. New Orleans,
Chenango, p-o., Courtland co., N. Y., 135 w. by s. Albany, 332
Cheonoquet, County, Mich., situated in the n. part of the
southern peninsula, and contains 512 square ms. Drained by
Cheboygan and Thunder bay rivers. Unorganized.
Chenuba, p-o., Lee co., Ga., 150 s. w. Milledgeville, 795 W.
Chepacket, p-v, Gloucester t., Providence co., R. I., 16 w. by
n. Providence, 395 W. Situated on a river of the same name. It
has 1 free church, and several manufactories.
Cheraw, p-v., Chesterfield dist., S. C., 93 n. E. Columbia, 423
W. Situated on the w. bank of Great Pedee r., 110 ms. above
Georgetown. It contains 5 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, 1
Episcopal, 1 Methodist, and 1 Roman Catholic, 1 male and 1
female academy, 1 bank, 1 town hall, 41 stores, 200 dwellings,
and 1,050 inhabitants. A bridge here crosses the Pedee r., which
is navigable to this place for steamboats. It has considerable
trade, particularly in cotton.
Cherokee, County, N. C., in the n. w. corner of
the state. It contains 1,000 square ms. The land on the streams
is of an excellent quality, producing Indian com, wheat, rye,
oats, common and sweet potatoes, abundantly. Back from the
streams, the land is mountainous, producing grass from 2 to 6
feet high. White, blue, and flesh colored marble is found; also
iron ore of an excellent quality. It has some valuable gold
mines, and lead and silver in small quantities. There were in
1840, neat cattle 5,827 sheep 2,163, swine 12,235; wheat 2,760
bushels produced, rye 1,203, Ind. corn 167,167, oats 12,787; 16
stores, cap. $39,759; value of gold produced $1,075; 1 tannery,
9 distilleries, 16 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,120. 2
sch. 30 scholars. Pop. 1840, whites 3,205, slaves 199, free
col'd 23; total, 3,427.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!