Chesterfield, CT to Cicero, IN
Chesterfield, p-v., Montville t., New London co., Ct., 36 s. E.
Hartford, 360 W. It has a Congregational and a Baptist church.
Chesterfield, p-t., Lucas co., O., 170 n. n. w. Columbus, 501 W.
Watered by Bean cr., a branch of Maumee r. It has 2 sch. 86
scholars. Pop. 301.
Chesterfield, t., Burlington co., N. J., 12 n. e. Mount Holly.
The surface is level; soil sandy, mixed with clay and loam.
Drained by Crosswick's and Black creeks, tributaries of Delaware
r., which bounds it on the w. It contains the v. of Bordentown.
It has 22 stores, cap. $58,000; 2 distilleries, 3 grist m. Cap.
in manufac. $55,900. 11 sch. 557 scholars. Pop. 3,433.
Chesterfield, p-o., Macoupin co., Ill., 49 s. s. w. Springfield,
Chesterfield, t., Essex co., N. Y., 150 n. Albany. It has Lake
Champlain on its e. border. Surface hilly and mountainous; soil,
sandy loam and clay. Drained by Ausable r. It has a landing
place at Port Douglass, and the villages of Port Kent and
Keeseville. It has 4 forges, 14 stores, cap. $42,200; 3 fulling
m., 2 woolen fee, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly papers, 3 grist
m., 19 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $127,780. 8 sch. 447 scholars.
Chesterfield, p-o., capital of Chesterfield co., Va., 16 s. by
w. Richmond, 133 W. It contains a court house and a few
Chesterfield, p-v., capital of Chesterfield district, S. C, 105
n. n. e. Columbia, 435 W. Situated on the s. w. side of
Thompson's cr., a branch of Great Pedee r. It contains a court
house and several stores and dwellings.
Chesterfield Factory, Chesterfield town, Cheshire co., N. H., 56
s. w. Concord, 433 W.
Chester Hill, p-o., Athens co., O., 83 s. e. Columbus, 326 W.
Chester Springs, p-o., Pikeland t., Chester co., Pa., 72 s. e.
Harrisburg, 150 W. This is a pleasant watering place.
Chestertown, p-v., Chester t., Warren co., N. Y., 81 n. Albany,
456 W. It contains 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1
Methodist, 6 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 tannery, 1
clothier's works, 50 dwellings, and about 350 inhabitants.
Chestertown, p-v., seaport, and capital of Kent co., Md., 54 n.
e. Annapolis, 94 W. Situated on the w. side of Chester r., 30
miles above its entrance into Chesapeake bay. It contains a
court house, jail, 2 churches, a branch of the University of
Maryland, called Washington College, with a spacious edifice. A
bridge here crosses Chester r. Pop. nearly 1,000.
Chesterville, p-t., Franklin co., Me., 26 n. w. Augusta, 611 W.
Watered by Wilson's stream, a branch of Sandy r. Incorporated in
1802. The soil is excellent, adapted to wheat. It has 2 stores,
cap. $2,000; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 2 saw m.
Capital in manufac. $2,500. 4 sch. 296 scholars. Pop. 1,098.
Chesterville, p-o., Potter co., Pa., 180 n. n. w. Harrisburg,
Chesterville, p-v., Chester t., Knox co., O., 53 n. N. E.
Columbus, 389 W. It contains 1 church, 5 stores, 1 flouring m.,
1 saw m., 1 tannery, 50 dwellings, 2 sch. 230 scholars, and 283
Chesterville, p-v., Gibson co., Tenn., 148 w. Nashville, 830 W.
Chess Springs, p-o., Cambria co., Pa., 140 w. by n. Harrisburg,
Chetimaches, lake, La., between Atchafalaya and Teche rivers. It
receives its waters from the former, in time of high water, and
discharges them at all seasons into it again, 15 miles above its
entrance into the sea. It is 40 miles long, and from 1 to 6
broad, shallow, and surrounded by a low and marshy country,
which is annually overflowed.
Chesuncook, lake, Me., 10 n. e. Moosehead Lake. The Penobscot r.
passes through it.
Cheviot, p-v., Green t., Hamilton co., O., 7 n. w. Cincinnati,
122 s. w. Columbus, 496 W.
Chew's Landing, p-v., Gloucester t., Gloucester co., N. J., 38
s. s. e. Trenton, 148 W. Situated on the n. branch of Big Timber
cr. It has 2 churches, 1 Episcopal and 1 Methodist, 3 stores, 2
grist m., and about 50 dwellings. It exports considerable lumber
and wood, and has considerable business.
Chewsville, p-v., Washington co., Md., 105 n. w. Annapolis, 73
Chicago, r., Ill., which forms the harbor of Chicago, near the
s. end of Lake Michigan, is composed of two branches; the n.,
which is about 40 miles long, rises near the n. boundary of
Illinois, and unites with the s. branch of a mile from its
entrance into the lake. The s. branch is only about 6 miles
long, but is sufficiently deep to afford a secure harbor for
vessels of any burden, which navigate the lake. The natural
portage from the Chicago r. to the Des Plaines r., a head branch
of Illinois r., is only 6 ms., and is so low that, at high
water, it is often overflowed, so that boats can pass from river
Chicago, city, p-v., and capital of Cook co., Ill., 204 n. n. e.
Springfield, 717 W. It is beautifully situated on level ground,
sufficiently elevated to secure it from ordinary floods, on both
sides of a r. of the same name, between the junction of its n.
and s. branches and its entrance into Lake Michigan, a distance
of £ of a mile. It extends along the lake shore for a mile. The
r. is here from 50 to 75 yards wide, and from 15 to 25 feet
deep. The bar at the mouth has only about
3 feet of water. An artificial harbor has been made by the
construction of piers, which extend on each side of the entrance
of the river for some distance into the lake, to prevent the
accumulation of sand upon the bar. It contains the county
buildings, a U. S. land office, 6 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Methodist, 1 Baptist, 1 Episcopal and 1 Roman Catholic, an
academy, a fire insurance co., and water works for supplying the
city from the lake. Numerous steamboats and vessels ply between
this place and Buffalo, and the various intermediate places on
the upper lakes. Back of the city, toward the Des Plaines r., is
a fertile prairie, which for the first 3 or 4 miles is elevated
and dry. Along the n. branch of the Chicago and the lake shore
are extensive bodies of fine timber. White pine lumber is
obtained from the regions about Green bay and Grand r., in
Michigan, and across the lake from St. Joseph's r. The canal now
in progress from this place to the Illinois r. will add to its
importance and business. It is 60 feet wide at top, and 6 feet
deep, 105 ms. in length, including a feeder of 4 ms. and 5 ms.
of river navigation, and is estimated to cost $8,654,337. The
imports of the place amount to over $3,500,000. It had in 1840,
4 foreign commission houses, with a capital of $35,300; 97
retail stores, cap. $400,300; 11 lumber yards, cap. $38,900; 1
furnace, cap. $20,000; 1 distillery, 2 flouring m., 3 printing
offices, 1 bindery, 2 daily and 2 weekly newspapers, and 1
periodical, 14 brick and stone houses, and 41 wooden houses,
built during the year, and cost $57,500. Cap. in manufac.
$61,950. 11 sch. 397 scholars. Pop. 4,470.
Chichester, p-t., Merrimac co., N. H., 8 e. Concord, 489 W. The
surface is generally level; soil, good, with little waste land.
First settled in 1758. Watered by Suncook r., which affords
water power. A Congregational church was organized in 1791. It
has 4 stores, cap. $2,500; 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 2 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $1,755. 8 sch. 390 scholars. Pop. 1,023.
Chickahominy, r., Va., rises about 25 ms. n. w. Richmond, and
forms the boundary between several counties, and after a course
of 60 ms. it enters James r. 37 ms. above Point Comfort.
Chickahominy, p-o., Hanover co., Va., 13 n. Richmond, 122 W.
Chickalack, p-o., Pope co., Ark., 80 n. w. Little Rock, 1,145 W.
Chickamauga, r., in the n. w. part of Ga., enters Tennessee r.
in the state of Tennessee, a few miles above Lookout mountain.
Chickapee, r., Ms., rises in Worcester co., and runs s. w. into
Connecticut r., in the . part of Springfield.
Chickapee Falls, p-v., Springfield t., Hampden co., Ms., 87 w.
s. w. Boston, 368 W. Situated on the e. side of Chickapee r., 2
ms. from its entrance into the Connecticut, and is a flourishing
manufacturing village. It has 3 churches, 1 Baptist, 1
Congregational, 1 Methodist, 4 cotton fac, and 1 paper fac.
Chickasaw, County, Miss. Situated toward the n. part of the
state, and contains 970 sq. ms. Watered by Yallo Busha r. and
Oktibbeha cr. Capital, Houston. There were in 1840, neat cattle
6,371, sheep 704, swine 8,286; wheat 3,801 bush, produced, Ind.
corn 129,280, oats 5,151, potatoes 6,034, rice 3,775 pounds,
tobacco 12,286, cotton 338,548; 2 stores, cap. $8,500; 4 sch. 93
scholars. Pop. whites 2,148, slaves 806, free col'd 1; total,
Chickasaw, p-o., Mercer co., O., 102 w. n. w. Columbus, 496 W.
Chickasawha. p-o., Clarke co. Miss., 154 e. by s. Jackson, 965
Chickasawha, r., Miss. (See Pascagoula.)
Chicot, County, Ark. Situated in the s. e. part of the state,
and contains 1,800 sq. ms. Drained by Bartholomew, Boeuff, and
Macon rivers. The surface is level, and some of it liable to
submersion; the soil is various, some of it very fertile, and
some barren. Capital, Columbia. There were in 1840, neat cattle
6,494, sheep 564, swine 9,848; Ind. corn 179,580 bush, produced,
oats 1,170, potatoes 15,040, cotton 1,114,622 pounds; 53 grist
m., 1 sch. 13 scholars. Pop. 1830, 1,165; 1840, whites 1,105,
slaves 2,698, free col'd 3; total, 3,806.
Chicktawaga, t., Erie co., N. Y., 6 e. Buffalo, 278 w. Albany.
The surface is undulating, soil productive. Watered by Cayuga
and Cazenove creeks, head branches of Buffalo cr. It contains an
Indian reservation, belonging to the Seneca tribe, in the s.
part. It has 1 distillery, 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,800. 3
sch. 78 scholars. Pop. 1,137.
Childsburg, p-v., Fayette co., Kt., 32 e. Frankfort, 530 W.
Chilesburg, p-o., Caroline co., Va., 85 n. Richmond. 79 W.
Chilhowee, p-o., Blount co., Tenn., 197 e. by s. Nashville, 540
Chili, p-t., Monroe co., N. Y., 10 s. w. Rochester, 224 w. by n.
Albany, 379 W. The surface is undulating; soil, a fertile clay
loam. Drained by Black cr., a branch of Genesee r., which runs
on its e. border. It has 4 stores, cap. $18,500; 1 fulling m., 1
woolen fac, 2 flouring m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $36,350. 15
sch. 765 scholars. Pop. 2,174.
Chili, p-o., Coshocton co., O., 92 n. e. Columbus, 340 W.
Chili, p-v., Hancock co., Ill., 109 w. n. w. Springfield, 832 W.
Chilicothe, p-v., city, capital of Ross co., O., 45 s. Columbus,
400 W. It is handsomely situated on the w. bank of Scioto r., in
Scioto t. Its plan has been thought to resemble that of
Philadelphia. The Scioto washes its northern limit, and Paint
cr. its southern, here ¾ of a mile a part. The principal streets
follow the course of the r., and these are crossed by others at
right angles, extending from the r. to the cr. The two main
streets, which cross each other at right angles at the centre of
the t., are 99 feet wide. Water street, which fronts the r., is
82½ feet wide; the other streets are 66 wide. Founded in 1796.
It has a court house and jail, 2 market houses, a U. S. Land
office, 23 stores, an elegant banking house, 4 churches, 1
Presbyterian, 1 Associate Reformed, 1 Episcopal, and 1
Methodist, 2 acad. 85 students. Pop. 3,977. In the midst of the
v. was an ancient mound, now removed to give place for
buildings. The Ohio canal passes through it. On the w. side of
the v. is a hill rising abruptly to the height of 300 feet, from
which there is a beautiful and extensive view of the place, and
the surrounding country.
Chilicothe, p-v., capital of Livingston co., Mo., 150 n. w.
Jefferson city, 1,053 W. Situated 3½ ms. from the junction of
the e. and w. Forks of Grand r., on a prairie. It contains a
court house and jail. It has 2 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 614.
Chilicothe, p-v., Peoria co., Ill., 88 n. Springfield, 802 W. It
is situated at the upper end of Peoria Lake.
Chillisquaque, p-t., Northumberland co., Pa., 65 n. Harrisburg,
482 W. It has 2 stores, cap. $3,000; 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 1
grist m. Cap. in manufac. $7,750. 4 sch. 193 scholars. Pop.
Chilmark, p-t., Dukes co., Ms., 100 s. s. e. Boston, 482 W. It
is situated in the s. w. part of the island of Martha's
Vineyard. At the w. end of the t. is a peninsula, owned in part
by the native Indians, on the x. w. point of winch is the
promontory called Gay Head, which projects into the sea, 150
feet above its level, on the summit of which is a light-house.
In the s. w. part of the t. is a projecting point denominated
Squibnocket. There are 3 churches, 2 Congregational and 1
Methodist. It has 2 stores, cap. $1,100; 1 woolen fac, 2 grist
m. Cap. in manufac. $1,375. 4 sch. 135 scholars. Population,
Chilo, p-v., Franklin t., Clermont co., O., 123 s. w. Columbus,
483 W. Situated on the n. bank of the Ohio r. It was called
Chimney Point, p-o., Addison t, Addison co., Vt., 86 s. w.
Montpelier, 482 W. It lies on Lake Champlain, nearly opposite to
Ticonderoga, N. York.
China, p-t., Kennebec co., Me., 21 e. by n. Augusta, 616 W.
Watered by a fine small lake, called Twelve Mile Pond, the
outlet of which flows into a branch of the Kennebec, and affords
good mill seats. The v. is pleasantly situated on the margin of
this lake, and has a steam saw m., and an academy. The t.
produces good wheat. It has 9 stores, cap. $22,100; 1 fulling
m., 3 tanneries, 4 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $23,785.
1 acad. 155 students, 25 sch. 1,230. Pop. 2,675.
China, p-t., Wyoming co., N. Y., 273 w. Albany w. Albany, 348 W.
The surface is undulating, and the soil, clay loam, well adapted
to grass. Drained by Clear cr., a branch of Cattaraugus or. It
has 4 stores, cap. $10,500; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1
tannery, 2 grist m., 7 saw ra. Cap. in manufac. $15,300. 15 sch.
568 scholars. Population, 1,437.
China, p-t., St. Clair co., Mich., 51 n. n. e. Detroit, 575 W.
Belle r. passes through its n. e. corner; drained on the s. by
Swan cr. It has 2 stores, cap. $4,000; 1 lumber yard, cap.
$3,000: 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,400. Pop. 610.
China Grove, p-o., Rowan co., N. C, 123 w. by s. Raleigh, 365 W.
China Grove, p o., Williamsburg dist., S. C, 131 e. s. e.
Columbia, 476 W.
China Grove, p-o., Pike co., Ala., 149 s. e. Tuscaloosa, 860 W.
China Grove, p-o., Pike co., Miss., 101 s. Jackson, 1,081 W.
China Grove, p-o., Gibson co., Tenn., 140 w. Nashville, 824 W.
China Hill, p o., Gadsden co., Flor.
Chinnebee, p-o., Taladega co., Ala.
Chippewa, County, Mich. Situated in the extreme n. part of the
slate, on the shore of Lake Superior. It has St. Mary's strait
on the e. and Montreal r. on the w. It contains 7,000 sq. ms.
Capital, Sault Ste. Marie. There were in 1840, neat cattle 33,
sheep M, swine 48; rye 730 bush, produced, Ind. corn 117,925,
buckwheat 1,064, oats 9 1,833, potatoes 53,363, sugar 33,369
pounds; 33 stores, cap. $212,200; $11,550 invested in the
fisheries; 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,550. 2 sch. 81 scholars.
Chippewa, river, Wis. It rises on the boundary line between
Michigan and Wisconsin; interlocking sources with Montreal r.,
of Lake Superior, and pursuing a southern course, it receives
several streams, outlets of lakes, and Red Cedar r., when, after
a course of 150 ms., it enters the Mississippi immediately below
Chippeway, t., Beaver co., Pa., 7 n. w. Beaver. The surface is
hilly; soil, loam. It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$1,000. 4 sch. 125 scholars. Pop. 610.
Chippewa, p-t., Wayne co., O., 113 n. e. Columbus, 18 n. e.
Wooster, 336 W. The soil is fertile and well cultivated. The v.
is known on the records by the name of Doylestown, but the p-o.
by that of Chippewa. It has 3 stores, cap. $5,500; 1 tannery, 3
flouring m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $19,595. 2 sch. 64
scholars. Pop. 1,787.
Chippewayan Mountains, is a name often given to the great spine
of North America, extending from the isthmus of Darien to the
Arctic ocean. That portion of it which lies within the United
States, is generally called the Rocky Mountains. Prom these
mountains flow the great western tributaries of the Mississippi.
Chisholm's Store, p-o.. Montgomery co., N. C, 131 w. s. w.
Raleigh, 398 W.
Chittenango, p-o., Sullivan t., Madison co., N.Y 120 w. N. w.
Albany, 352 W. Situated 1 m. s. of the Erie canal, with which it
is connected by a side cut. It contains 10 stores, 3 churches, 1
Reformed Dutch, 1 Presbyterian, and 1 Methodist, 1 woolen fac, 1
flouring m., 2 water lime fac, 180 dwellings, and about 1,000
inhabitants. The Syracuse and Utica railroad passes near the v.,
where is a depot. There is a mineral spring 1 m. s. of the v.,
the chief ingredients of which are sulphate of lime and
magnesia, and sulphuretted hydrogen gas, which is useful in
Chittenango, cr., rises in Nelson t., Madison co., and flows n.
into Oneida lake, furnishing water power.
Chittenden, County, Vt. Situated toward the n. w. part of Vt.,
and contains 500 sq. miles. Onion r. passes through its centre;
and between Burlington and Colchester, at Winooski city, is a
fall of about 20 feet, affording extensive water power. The
Lamoille r. passes through its n. w. corner, and Laplotte, a
small r., passes through its s. part. Lake Champlain bounds it
on the w. The soil varies from a light sand to a strong clay
loam, and a rich alluvion. A part of it was originally covered
with a heavy growth of white pine, but the greater part with
maple, beech, and other hard woods. The surface near the lake
shore is level, but becomes uneven and mountainous toward the e.
Capital, Burlington. There were in 1340, neat cattle 24,142,
sheep 110,774, swine 25,310; wheat 29,502 bush, produced, rye
31,570, Ind. corn 119,087, buckwheat 11,575, barley 1,305, oats
131,799, potatoes 522,792, silk cocoons 157 pounds, sugar
177,343; 87 stores, capital $490,830; 3 lumber yards, cap.
$26,000; 1 rope fac, 11 fulling m., 10 woolen fac, 17 tanneries,
1 distillery, 1 brewery, 1 glass fac, 1 pottery, 10 grist m., 58
saw m., 2 paper fac, 3 printing offices, 1 bindery, 2 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac $362,933. 1 college, 101 students, 3
acad. 256 students, 144 sch. 5,170 scholars. Pop. 1830, 21,765;
Chittenden, p-t., Rutland co., Vt., 12 n. by e. Rutland, 40 s.
by w. Montpelier. It lies on the Green Mountains. Chartered in
1780. Watered by Philadelphia r., a branch of Otter Creek, on
the w., and by Tweed r., which flows into White r. e.; and it
therefore occupies the height of land between Connecticut r. and
Lake Champlain. It has 1 furnace, 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac
$2,300; 7 sch. 163 scholars. Pop. 644.
Chocchuma, p-v., Tallahatchee co., Miss., 113 n. Jackson, 994 W.
Situated on the e. side of Yallo Busha r.
Choconut, p-t., Susquehanna co., Pa., 189 n. n. e. Harrisburg,
299 W. It has 4 stores, capital $13,300. 1 fulling m., 2
tanneries, 1 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac $7,700. 1 acad.
100 students, 7 sch. 175 scholars. Pop. 962.
Choctaw, County, Miss., situated a little n. Drained by the head
branches of Big Black r. Capital, Greensboro. There were in
1840, neat cattle 10,424, sheep 2,008, swine 36,173; wheat 4,006
bush, produced, Ind. corn 276,202, oats 2,820, potatoes 16,475,
cotton 775,635 pounds; 4 stores, cap. $20,000; 15 grist m., 11
saw m. Cap. in manufac $33,400. 15 sch. 303 scholars. Pop.
whites 4,443, slaves 1,564, free col'd 3; total, 6,010.
Choctaw Agency, p-o., Oktibbeha co., Miss., 117 n. e. Jackson,
Choctaw Agency, p-o., Choctaw Nation, Ark., 166 w. by n. Little
Rock, 1,231 W.
Choctawhatchee, r., rises in Alabama, and after a course of 130
ms. flows into a bay of the same name in Florida.
Choice's Store, p-o., Gwinnett co., Ga., 96 N. w. Milledgeville,
Choptank, r., Md., on the e. shore, is formed by 2 main
branches, one of which rises in Del. It empties into a large
estuary in Chesapeake Bay and is navigable for sloops 40 miles
from its mouth.
Chota, p-o., Monroe co., Tenn., 188 e. s. e. Nashville, 514 W.
Chowan, r., N. C., is formed by the union of Nottaway, Meherrin,
and Blackwater rs., which rise and run chiefly in Virginia. It
flows into Albemarle Sound, a little n. of the mouth of the
Roanoke. It is navigable, on the Meherrin branch, for large
vessels to Murfreesboro, in the n. part of the county of
Hertford, near the line of Virginia.
Chowan, County, N. C. Situated in the n. e. part of the state,
having Chowan r. on the w., and Albemarle sound on the s., and
contains 200 sq. ms. The surface is level, and the soil
productive. Capital, Edenton. There were in 1840, neat cattle
4,139, sheep 1,337, swine 15,541; wheat 15,349 bush, produced,
rye 743, Ind. corn 282,209, oats 13,962, potatoes 30,337, cotton
1,267,297 pounds, 3 com. houses in for. trade, cap. $6,000; 21
stores, cap. $115,400; cap. invested in fisheries, $69,697; 2
tanneries, 44 distilleries, 1 flouring m., 14 grist m., 9 saw
m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
$70,020. 2 acad. 143 students, 12 sch. 214 scholars. Pop. 1830,
6,688; 1840, whites 2,865, slaves 3,665, free col'd 160; total,
Christian, County, Ky. Situated in the s. part of the state, and
contains 612 sq. ms. The land in the n. part is poor, but
covered with timber; in the s. w. are fertile barrens, as they
are called. The soil is a fertile clay, and produces tobacco,
corn, wheat, &c. It is the 3d county in wealth in the state.
Watered by Little r. and its branches, and Pond and Tradewater
rs. Capital, Hopkinsville. There were in 1840, neat cattle
15,053, sheep 18,196, swine 52,656; wheat 103,833 bush,
produced, rye 13,284, Ind. corn 1,022,850, oats 290,535,
potatoes 22,846, hemp and flax 177 tons, tobacco 3,409,502
pounds, cotton 43,040, sugar 19,190, bituminous coal 11,475
bushels; 31 stores, cap. $136,875; 8 tanneries, 19 distilleries,
3 potteries, 13 flouring m., 23 grist m., 13 saw m., 1 oil m., 1
printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $31,640. 4
acad. 234 students, 19 schools, 517 scholars. Population, whites
9,491, slaves 5,997, free col'd 99; total, 15,537.
Christian, County, Ill. Situated in the central part of the
state, contains 350 sq. ms. Surface level, soil rich. Drained by
South Fork of Sangamon and branches. Capital, Edinburg. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 3,069, sheep 2,571, swine 10,773;
wheat 8,821 bush, produced, Ind. corn 159,112, oats 23,203,
potatoes 5,377, tobacco 4,910 pounds; 2 stores, cap. $8,000; 1
tannery, 3 distilleries, 8 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$11,280. 6 sch. 155 scholars. Population 1,873.
Christian, t., Independence co., Ark. Pop. 425.
Christiana, r. or cr., has its head branches in Pa. and Md., and
flows into the Brandywine at Wilmington. It is navigable for
vessels drawing 9 feet water to Newport, and those requiring 6
feet to Christiana bridge, 9 miles above Wilmington.
Christiana, p-h., New Castle co., Del., 85 n. by w. Dover, 102
W. The v. is generally called Christiana Bridge, situated on
Christiana cr., 9 s. w. Wilmington. It has an active trade with
Philadelphia in flour. It has 3 cotton fac. 8,560 sp., 26 powder
m., 2 flouring m., 5 grist m., 7 saw m. Capital in manufactures,
$344,250. 1 academy, 9 students, 9 schools, 702 scholars.
Christians, p-o., Edgefield dist., S. C., 56 w. Columbia, 534 W.
Christiansburg, p-v., capital of Montgomery co., Va., 203 w. s.
w. Richmond, 271 W. It contains a court house, jail, and other
county buildings, 2 churches. 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist, 5
stores, 2 tanneries, and various mechanic shops. Pop. 335, of
whom 230 are white and 105 colored.
Christiansburg, p-v., Shelby co., Ky., 13 w. by n. Frankfort,
Christiansburg, p-v., Jackson t., Champaign co., O., 60 w. by n.
Columbus, 454 W.
Christiansville, p-v., Mecklenburg co., Va., 97 s. w. Richmond,
Christiansville, p-v., Carroll co., Tenn., 113 w. Nashville, 798
Christy's Prairie, p-o., Clay co., Ia., 70 w. s. w.
Indianapolis, 641 W.
Chrystal Lake, p-o., Henry co., Ill., 216 n. by w. Springfield,
Chuckatuck, p-v., Nansemond co., Va., 75 s. e. Richmond, 208 W.
Situated on Chuckatuck cr., 8 miles from its entrance into James
r. It contains a Methodist church, 3 stores, 1 cotton fac, 30
dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants. The r. is navigable to
Chucky Bend, p-o., Jefferson co., Tenn., 234 e. Nashville, 462
Chulahoma, p-o., Marshall co., Miss., 184 n. by e. Jackson, 907
Church Creek, p-o., Dorchester co., Md., 69 s. e. Annapolis, 109
Church Grove, p-o., Knox co., Tenn., 195 e. Nashville, 496 W.
Church Hill, p-v., Queen Anne co., Md., 43 e. Annapolis, 83 W.
Situated on the s. e. branch of Chester r.
Churchill, p-o., Trumbull co., O., 182 n. e. Columbus, 296 W.
Church Hill, p-o., Halifax co., Va., 141 s. w. Richmond, 228 W.
Church Hill, p-v., Abbeville dist., S. C., 109 w. Columbia, 546
Church Hill, p-o., Lowndes co., Ala., 102 s. s. e. Tuscaloosa,
Church Hill, p-o., Jefferson co., Miss., 104 s. w. Jackson,
Churchillsville, p-v., Dearborn co., Ia., 77 s. e. Indianapolis,
Churchtown, p-v., Lancaster co., Pa., 52 e. by s. Harrisburg,
Churchville, p-v., Riga t., Monroe co., N. Y., 234 w. n. w.
Albany, 381 W. Situated on the line of the Tonawanda railroad,
and contains 3 stores, 2 churches, a steam woolen fac, 45
dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants.
Churchville, p-v., Harford co., Md., 61 n. Annapolis, 71 W.
Churchville, v., Clark Co., Mo. Situated on the w. bank of
Mississippi r., at the entrance of the Des Moines r.
Cicero, p-t., Onondaga co., N. Y. 140 w. n. w. Albany, 358 W.
Oneida Lake forms its n. e. boundary. Drained by the Chittenango
cr. The surface is level and the soil good. The v. contains 2
churches, 1 Presbyterian and 1 Baptist, 4 stores, 40 dwellings,
and about 200 inhabitants. Pop. of the t. 2,464.
Cicero, p-t., Hamilton co., Ia., 32 n. Indianapolis, 570 W. Pop.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!