Cincinnati, MO to Clarkstown, NY
Cincinnati, v., Ralls co., Mo., 101 n. n. e. Jefferson City, 933
W. Situated on the n. bank of Salt r.
Cincinnatus, p-t., Cortlandt co., N. Y., 128 w. by s. Albany,
327 W. The surface is hilly, and the soil productive. Watered by
Ostelic cr. and its tributaries. The village is situated on the
cr. and contains 2 churches, 1 Presbyterian and 1 Baptist, 6
stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 tannery, 60 dwellings, and about
400 inhabitants. Pop. of the t. 1,301. There are in the t. 5
stores, cap. $14,200; 1 furnace, 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 2 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $13,550. 8 sch. 545 scholars.
Cinnaminson, p-o., Burlington co., N. J.
Circleville, p-o., Loudon co., Va., 145 n. Richmond, 44 W.
Circleville, p-t., capital of Pickaway co., O., 26 s. Columbus,
396 W. The v. was laid out in 1810 on the site of an ancient
fortification. It lies on the e. bank of the Scioto r. The Ohio
canal passes through the place, and here crosses the r. in a
fine aqueduct. The streets are regular, and cross each other at
right angles, and the v. is divided into 350 town lots, besides
5 circular and triangular acres of ground, appropriated to
public uses. It has an elegant brick octagonal court house, a
jail, a market house, 6 public offices in a brick row, 4
churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Lutheran, and 1
Methodist; 13 stores, 5 canal warehouses, an academy, about 250
dwellings, and about 2,000 inhabitants. The country around is
very fertile, and a great water power is concentrated at this
place, by several creeks, and by the canal. There are in the
town 15 stores, cap. $62,000; 1 fulling m., 1 furnace, 3
tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 brewery, 3 printing offices, 2
binderies, 2 weekly and 1 semi-weekly newspapers, 1 flouring m.,
5 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $37,050. 1 acad. 15
students, 6 sch. 180 scholars. Pop. 2,972.
Circleville. p-o., Tazewell co., Ill., 54 n. Springfield, 787 W.
City, p-o., Amenia t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 70 s. by e. Albany,
City Point, p-v., and port of entry, Prince George co., Va., 33
s. e. Richmond, 162 W. Situated on the s. side of James r., on a
point formed by the junction of the Appomattox. James r. is
navigable to this place for large ships, which come here to
City West, p-v., Porter co., Ia., 155 n. n. w. Indianapolis, 630
W. Situated on the shore of Lake Michigan, and has a good
Civil Order, p-o., Marshall co., Tenn., 35 s. Nashville, 693 W.
Claiborne, County, Miss. Situated toward the s.
w. part of the state, on the Mississippi r. It contains 500 sq.
ins. Rig Black r. washes its n. w border. Drained by Bayou
Pierre and its branches. The surface, back from the streams, is
uneven, and the soil, except the alluvial on the margin of the
streams, is light and sterile. A railroad leads from Port Gibson
to Grand Gulf. Capital, Port Gibson. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 15,073, sheep 6,527, swine 22,475; rye 585 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 353,875, oats 5,425, potatoes 29,935, cotton
11,996,910 pounds; 10 commission houses in foreign trade, cap.
$61,100; 43 stores, cap. $326,450; 1 tannery, 168 grist m., 10
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $92,600. 1 college, 72 students, 3 acad.
71 students, 9 sch. 183 scholars. Pop. 1830, 9,787; 1840, whites
3,232, slaves 9,753, free col'd 93; total, 13,078.
Claiborne, Parish, La., situated in the n. w.
part of the state, and has Red r. on its w. border, and the
state of Arkansas on the n. It has Lakes Bisteneau and Bodeau.
Drained by branches of Red and Wachitta rs. Most of the parish
consists of a light pine land, but the soil on the streams is
better, and covered with hard wood. Capital, Overton. It has 4
acad. 112 students, 11 schools, 217 scholars. Pop. whites 3,846,
free col'd 44, slaves 2,295; total, 6,185.
Claiborne, County, Tenn. Situated toward the n.
e. part of the state, and contains 530 sq. ms. The surface is
mountainous. Powell's r. runs through its centre, and Clinch
River on its s. border, and both are head branches of Tennessee
r. Capital, Tazewell. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,236,
sheep 9,214, swine 30,909; wheat 37,288 bushels produced, rye
2,232, Indian com 540,724, oats 126,248, potatoes 15,027,
tobacco 23,850 pounds, cotton 5,595, sugar 34,660; 8 stores,
cap. $67,500; 2 furnaces, 7 forges, 8 tanneries, 39
distilleries, 2 powder m., 10 flouring mills, 14 grist m., 11
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,800. 12 sch. 276 scholars. Pop. 1830,
8,470; 1840, whites 8,765, slaves 624, free col'd 85; total,
Claiborne, p-v., Monroe co., Ala., 138 s. Tuscaloosa, 930 W.
Situated on the e. side of Alabama r., at the head of schooner
Claiborne, t., Union county, O. It has 4 sch. 110 scholars. Pop.
Claiborneville, p-v., Yazoo co., Miss., 57 n. Jackson, 1,046 W.
Clapp's, p-o., Guilford co., N. C, 68 w. n. w. Raleigh, 311 W.
Clappville, p-v., Leicester t., Worcester co., Mass., 50 w. by
s. Boston, 390 W. Situated on the head waters of Quinebaug
River. It has 2 churches, 1 Episcopal and 1 Baptist, 3 woolen
fac, 1 scythe fac, and several dwellings.
Clara, t., Potter co., Pa. It has 1 saw mill. Cap. in manufac.
$1,000. Pop. 61.
Claremont, p-t., Sullivan co., N. H., 49 w. by N. Concord, 464
W. It lies on Connecticut River, which bounds it on the w.
Watered by Sugar r. The surface is undulating; soil, fertile
gravelly loam, with rich intervales on the rivers. Chartered in
1764. Iron ore and limestone are found here. It is a prosperous
agricultural town, with some manufactures. It has 4 churches, 1
Congregational, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist. The
principal v. is on Sugar r., 4 e. Connecticut r., where are 2 of
the churches, and several mills. There are in the t. 8 stores,
capital $32,000; 1 furnace, 4 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 cotton
fac. 350 sp., 2 tanneries, 2 paper fac, 2 printing offices, 1
weekly newspaper, 4 grist in., 8 saw m., 17 sch. 1,015 scholars.
Claremont, p-v., Pickens dist., S. C., 162 n. w. Columbia, 560
Clarence, p-t., Erie co., N. Y., 270 w. Albany, 390 W. The
surface is undulating; soil, clay, sandy, and calcareous loam,
well adapted to grain. Drained by Ransom's and Tonawanda creeks.
Organized in 1808. At the v. is 1 Methodist church, and 40
dwellings. It has 7 stores, capital $22,800; 1 tannery, 2 grist
m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,400. 1 acad. 30 students, 13
sch. 698 scholars. Pop. 2,271.
Clarence, p-o., Calhoun co., Mich.
Clarendon, p-t., Rutland co., Vt., 70 s. s. w. Montpelier, 449
W. Chartered in 1761. Watered by Otter cr. and its branches. The
lands on the streams are very productive. There are 3 churches,
1 Congregational and 2 Baptist. The streams afford water power.
Marble is found here. It has 5 stores, cap. $16,200; 3
tanneries, 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $12,170. 13
sch. 517 scholars. Pop. 1,549.
Clarendon, p-t., Orleans co., N. Y., 243 w. by n. Albany, 392 W.
The surface is high, and somewhat broken; soil, calcareous loam.
Drained by branches of Sandy and Oak Orchard crs. The v.
contains 2 churches, 2 stores, 1 flouring m., 40 dwellings, and
about 200 inhabitants. There are in the t., 2 stores, cap.
89,000; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Capital in manufac.
$13,950. 16 sch. 825 scholars. Pop. 2,251.
Clarendon, p-t., Calhoun co., Mich., 101 w. Detroit, 562 W. It
has 3 sch. 124 scholars. Pop. 506.
Clarendon, p-o., Monroe co., Ark., 60 e. Little Rock, 1,005 W.
Clarendon Springs, p-o., Clarendon t., Rutland county, Vt., 70
s. s. w. Montpelier, 448 W. Here is a chalybeate spring,
containing also carbonate of lime, which is resorted to for its
medicinal efficacy in several complaints.
Claridon, t., Marion co., O. It has 4 stores, cap. $6,500; 6
sch. 240 scholars. Pop. 1,084.
Claridon, p-t., Geauga co., O., 169 n. e. Columbus, 30 e.
Cleveland, 334 W. Watered by the head branches of Cuyahoga r.
The surface is undulating, and the soil a loam, adapted both to
grain and to grazing. Cattle, butter, and cheese are exported.
It has 2 stores, cap. $3,500; 1 fulling m., 2 grist m., 3 saw
m., 10 sch. 368 scholars. Pop. 897.
Clarion, r., Pa., or Great Toby's cr., rises in McKean co., and
after flowing 70 ms. s. w., falls into Alleghany r. It is
navigable for boats 55 ms. and for canoes about 10 ms. further.
Vast quantities of lumber are sent down this river to Pittsburg,
and towns on the Ohio r.
Clarion, County, Pa. Situated in the n. w. part
of the state, and contains 530 sq. ms. It has the Alleghany r.
on the s. w., Red Banker, on the s., and drained centrally by
Clarion, or Toby's r. and branches. The southern portion is
moderately undulating and fertile, the northern part, uneven and
rough, abounding in iron ore and pine timber. There are 11
furnaces in the county. It was organized in 1839, from parts of
Armstrong and Venango. Capital, Clarion.
Clarion, p-t., and capital of Clarion co., Pa., 184 w. n. w.
Harrisburg, 273 W. The surface is moderately hilly; soil, loam.
Watered by Piney, Licking, and Mill creeks and Laurel run, which
flow into Clarion r. The v. is situated on the Susquehanna and
Waterford turnpike, 1 m. e. of the Clarion r. It was commenced
in the pine woods, in 1840, and now has a court house, jail, an
academy, 3 religious societies about, erecting churches, viz: 1
Presbyterian. 1 Methodist, and 1 Catholic; 5 stores, 110
dwellings, and 550 inhabitants. There are in the t., 6 stores,
capital $25,000; 1 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 3 grist m., 5 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $13,030. 14 sch. 420 scholars. Pop. 2,239.
Clarke, County. Va. Situated in the n. e. part
of the state, and contains 225 sq. ms. The Shenandoah r. passes
centrally through it. Surface, diversified. It has the Blue
Ridge on the e. Soil, first rate. Capital, Berryville. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 5,651, sheep 7,616, swine 14.915;
wheat 258,104 bush, produced, rye 17,096, Ind. corn 266,904,
buckwheat 909, oats 90,776, potatoes 19,680, hops 388 pounds; 4
tanneries, 5 distilleries, 5 flouring m., 11 grist m., 5
sawmills. Cap. in manufac. $60,140. 8 acad. 167 students, 5 sch.
114 scholars. Pop. whites 2,867, slaves 3,325, free col'd 161;
Clarke, County, Ga. Situated centrally in the
n. part of the state, and contains 414 sq. ms. Watered by
branches of Oconee river. Capital, Watkinsville. There were in
1810, neat cattle 10,008, sheep 3,771, swine 21,754; wheat
41,631 bush, produced, Indian corn 288,776, oats 58,915,
potatoes 10,587, cotton 795,615 pounds; 23 stores, cap. $81,780;
3 cotton fac. 5,639 sp., 2 dyeing and printing estab., 3
tanneries, 7 distilleries, 5 flouring m., 13 grist m., 15 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $285,841. 1 college, 12 students, 7 acad. 265
students, 5 schools, 170 scholars. Pop. 1830, 10,176; 1840,
whites 5,603, slaves 4,877, free col'd 42; total, 10,522.
Clarke, County, Ala. Situated between the
Tombigbee and Alabama rivers, in the s. w. part of the state,
and contains 1,200 sq. ms. The surface is uneven, and the soil
indifferent, excepting on the streams, where it is liable to be
over-flowed. Capital, Macon. There were in 1840, neat cattle
18,035, sheep 2,624, swine 28,652; wheat 573 bush, produced,
Ind. corn 272,405, oats 13,903, potatoes 32,986, cotton
3,023,852 pounds, 23 stores, cap. $47,500; 3 tanneries, 41 grist
m., 17 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,620. 5 acad. 136 students, 12
sch. 216 scholars. Pop. 1830, 7,595; 1840, whites 4,228, slaves
4,395, free col'd 17; total, 8,640.
Clarke, County, Miss. Situated toward the E.
border of the state, and contains 050 sq. ms. Watered by
Chickasawha r. and branches. Surface, generally level. Capital,
Quitman. There were in 1840, neat cattle 12,080, sheep 1,199,
swine 10,100; wheat 1,008 bush, produced, Ind. corn 130,360,
oats 668, potatoes 33,142, rice 7,510 pounds, tobacco 1,420,
cotton 1,296,200; 6 stores, cap. $9,250; 10 grist m., 7 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $9,450. 6 sch. 107 scholars. Pop. whites 2,076,
slaves 909, free col'd 1; total, 2,986.
Clarke, County, Ky. Situated centrally in the
E. part of the state, having Kentucky r. on its s. border. It
contains about 300 sq. ms. Capital, Winchester. There were in
1840, neat cattle 15,343, sheep 20,953, swine 35,713; wheat
76,751 bush, produced, rye 146,511, Ind. corn 1,004,455, oats
94,770, potatoes 21,130, hemp and flax 322 tons, tobacco 82,410
pounds, sugar 71,155; 23 stores, cap. $134,800; 1 woolen fac, 5
tanneries, 14 distilleries, 3 rope factories, 10 flouring m., 28
grist m., 21 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 printing office. Cap. in
manufac. $97,395. 2 acad. 115 students, 23 sch. 738 scholars.
Pop. whites 6,755, slaves 3,902, free col'd 145; total, 10,802.
Clarke, County, O. Situated toward the s. w.
part, of the state, and contains 412 sq. ms. It has a very
fertile soil, which is well watered by springs, and is well
cultivated. Watered by Mad r., Beaver and Buck crs. The national
road runs through the co., as will also the Mad r. and Lake Erie
railroad. Capital, Springfield. There were in 1840, neat cattle
18,788, sheep 37,821, swine 24,235; wheat 172,329 bush,
produced, rye 26,999, Ind. corn 592.997, buckwheat 2,055, barley
1,631, oats 229,154, hops 1,148 pounds, sugar 22,037; 53 stores,
cap. $106,250; 7 fulling m., 6 woolen fac, 10 tanneries, 27
distilleries, 1 brewery, 4 potteries, 23 flouring m., 18 grist
m., 48 saw m, 9 oil in., 1 paper factory, 1 printing office, 1
weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $236,190. 1 acad. 60
students, 94 sch. 3,369 scholars. Pop. 1830, 13,074; 1840,
Clarke, County, Ia. Situated in the s. e. part
of the state, on the Ohio r., and contains 400 sq. ms. Organized
in 1802. The surface is rolling. Watered by small tributaries of
the Ohio. Capital, Charleston. There were in 1840, neat cattle
4,682, sheep 16,759, swine 26,619; wheat 100,105 bush, produced,
Ind. corn 336,570, barley 1,100, oats 153,586, potatoes 33,601,
sugar 16,435 pounds; 50 stores, cap. 8173,250. Cap. in
manufactures, $148,818. 6 acad. 171 students, 53 sch. 1,406
scholars. Pop. 1830, 10,686; 1840, 14,595.
Clarke, County, Ill. Situated in the e. part of
the state, and contains 1,080 sq. ms. Drained by Crane and Fox
crs. and the n. Fork of Embarrass r. Capital, Marshall. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 7,154, sheep 6,281, swine 16,194;
wheat 23,913 bush produced, rye 1,313, Ind. com 349,878,
buckwheat 1,108, oats 55,211, potatoes 15,781, sugar 5,840; 12
stores, cap. $39,175; 4 tanneries, 3 distilleries, 18 grist m.,
20 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,268. 6 schools, 18 scholars. Pop.
Clarke, County, Mo. Situated in the n. e. part
of the state, and contains 560 sq. ms. It has the Mississippi r.
on the E. and the Des Moines on the n. e. Drained by Fox and
Wyaconda rs. Capital, Waterloo. There were in 1850, neat cattle
2,969, sheep 2,239, swine 14,266; wheat 14,553 bush, produced,
Indian corn 163,124, oats 25,924, potatoes 12,580, tobacco
15,347 pounds; 1 commission house, cap. $2,000; 14 stores, cap.
$16,320; 1 tannery, 1 flouring m., 6 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. 34,401. 1 acad. 25 students. 7 sch. 133 scholars. Pop.
whites 2,423, slaves 420, free col'd 3; total, 2,846.
Clarke, County, Ark. Situated toward the s.
part of the state. Watered by Wachitta river, which passes
through its centre, and Little Missouri r. on its s. border. The
surface is hilly or mountainous. Excepting on the streams, the
soil is sterile. Capital, Greenville. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 4,544, sheep 642, swine 11,444; wheat 1,050 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 96,680, oats 2,558, potatoes 7,680, cotton
296,009 pounds. Pop. 1830, 1,369; 1840, whites 1,622, slaves
687; total, 2,309.
Clark, p-o., Mercer co., Pa., 245 w. n. w. Harrisburg, 288 W.
Clark, t., Lincoln co., Mo. Pop. 1,218.
Clark, t., Cole co., Mo. It has 4 sch. 85 scholars. Pop. 853.
Clark, t., Gasconade co., Mo. Population, 621.
Clark, t., Johnson co., Ark. Pop. 401.
Clark, t., Pope co., Ark. It has 1 school, 27 scholars. Pop.
Clark, t., Brown co., O. It has 2 schools, 90 scholars. Pop.
Clark, t., Clinton co., O. It has 4 stores, cap. $7,000; 2
tanneries, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,525. 5 sch.
307 scholars. Pop. 1,297.
Clark, t., Coshocton co., O. Pop. 703.
Clark, t., Montgomery co., Ia. It has 1 sch. 24 scholars. Pop.
C larks Fork, t., Cooper co., Mo. It has 3 sch. 121 scholars.
C larks, p-o., Hopkins co., Ky., 210 w. s. w. Frankfort, 746 W.
Clarks, p-t., Coshocton co., O., 85 n. e. Columbus, 351 W. It
has 1 grist m., 4 saw m., 1 sch. 28 scholars. Pop. 703.
Clarksborough, p-v., Greenwich t., Gloucester co., N. J., 41 s.
w. Trenton, 152 W. It has a store, and about 30 dwellings, with
a Friends' meeting house 2 ms. s. w.
Clarksburg, p-v., Upper Freehold t., Monmouth co., N. J., 21 e.
Trenton, 187 W. It is a small settlement of 6 or 8 houses.
Clarksburg, p-v., Montgomery co., Md., 68 w. n. w. Annapolis, 28
Clarksburg, p-v., capital of Harrison co., Va., 253 N. w.
Richmond, 221 W. Situated on Monongahela r. It has a court
house, jail, a Methodist church, 120 dwellings, and about 800
inhabitants. It has a printing office, which issues a weekly
Clarksburg, p-v., capital of Lewis co., Ky., 107 e. n. e.
Frankfort, 469 W. Situated on Salt Lick cr., 4 ms. s. of the
Ohio r. It contains a court house, and several dwellings.
Clarksburg, p-v., Deerfield t., Ross co., O., 41 s. Columbus,
Clarksburg, p-v., Decatur co., Ia., 55 s. e. Indianapolis, 539.
Clarksburg, t., Berkshire co., Mass., 125 w. by n. Boston, 27 n.
by e. Lenox. Incorporated in 1798. Watered by a branch of Hoosic
r., which affords water power. The surface is uneven. It has 1
fulling m., 1 grist m., 5 saw m., 5 sch. 85 scholars. Pop. 370.
Clark's Ferry, p-o., Perry co., Pa., 16 n. w. Harrisburg, 126 W.
Clarksfield, p-t., Huron co., O., 102 n. by e. Columbus, 380 W.
Situated on Vermillion r., 16 above its mouth. It contains 2
churches, 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist. First settled in 1817.
It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,200. 10 sch.
318 scholars. Pop. 1,473.
Clark's Fork, p-o., Cooper co., Mo.
Clark's Mills, p-o., Lawrence co., O., 119 s. by e. Columbus,
Clark's Mills, p-o., Moore co., N. C, 110 s. w. Raleigh, 394 W.
Clark's Mills, p-o., Hempstead co., Ark.
Clarkson, p-t., Monroe co., N. Y.. 236 w. by n. Albany, 16 n. w.
Rochester, 385 W. The surface is level, and the soil sandy and
gravelly loam. Drained by Little Salmon and Sandy creeks, that
flow into Lake Ontario, which bounds it on the n. The v. is on
the Ridgeroad, and contains 1 Presbyterian Church, an academy, 3
stores, 1 flouring m., 2 saw m., 2 carding and cloth dressing
works, 1 carriage fac, 100 dwellings, and about 700 inhabitants.
There are in the t., 2 stores, cap. $2,600; 3 fulling m., 1
woolen fac, 3 tanneries, 3 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$30,100. 1 acad. 144 students, 21 sch. 1,248 scholars. Pop.
Clarkson, p-v., Middleton t., Columbiana co., O., 159 n. e.
Columbus, 271 W. It has 1 sch. 28 scholars. Pop. 63.
Clarkson, p-o., Oakland co., Mich., 35 n. w. Detroit, 559 W.
Clark's River, a branch of the Columbia r., w. of the Rocky
mountains. (See Oregon Ter.)
Clark's Store, p-o., Martin co., N. C, 119 e. Raleigh, 243 W.
Clark's Store, p-o., Whitewater t, Hamilton co., O., 122 s. w.
Columbus, 506 W.
Clarkstown, p-t., capital of Rockland co., N. Y., 122 s. Albany,
267 W. The surface is hilly, and the soil in the valleys
productive. It is bounded e. by Hudson r. Rockland Lake, in the
N. part of the t., celebrated for furnishing ice for the New
York market, has its outlet into Hackensack r. The county
building, consisting of a court house and jail, is in a v.
called New City, where is 1 store, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., and 12
dwellings. There are in the t., 6 stores, cap. $20,000; 1
fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 5 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $20,200. 6 sch. 260 scholars. Pop. 2,533
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!