Cleveland, City Ohio
Cleveland, city, port of entry, and
the capital of Cuyahoga co., O., 146 n. n. e. Columbus, 359 W.
Cleveland is the emporium of northern Ohio, and, next to
Cincinnati, the most important town in the state, possesses a
commanding situation on Lake Erie, at the mouth of the Cuyahoga
r., and the northern termination of the Ohio canal. by which it
is connected with Ohio r. and is in 41° 31' n. lat., and 81° 46'
w. Ion. from Greenwich, or 4° 44' w. from W. It is 130 miles n.
w. Pittsburgh, 146 n. e. Columbus, 200 by water Buffalo, 130
Detroit, 359 W. The population in 1799 consisted of one family;
in 1825, about 500 inhabitants; in 1830, 1,000; in 1834, 4,300;
in 1840, 6,071.
Excepting a small portion of it immediately on the Cuyahoga r.,
the city is situated on a gravelly plain, elevated about 80 feet
above the level of the lake, of which it has a very commanding
prospect. The common streets have the extraordinary width of 80
feet; and Main-street, which passes through the middle of the
place, is 120 feet wide. The streets cross each other at right
angles, and there are many expensive and tasteful buildings. The
location is dry and healthy, and the view of the meanderings of
the Cuyahoga r., and of the steamboats and shipping in the port,
and leaving or entering it, and of the numerous vessels on the
lake under sail, presents a prospect exceedingly interesting,
from the high shore of the lake.
Near the centre of the place is a public square of 10 acres,
divided into four equal parts by intersecting streets, neatly
enclosed, and shaded with trees. The court house and the first
Presbyterian Church front on this square.
The harbor of Cleveland is one of the best on Lake Erie. It is
formed by the mouth of the Cuyahoga r., and improved by a pier
on each side, extending 425 yards into the lake, 200 feet apart,
and faced with substantial stone masonry. Cleveland is the great
mart of the greatest grain growing state in the Union, and it is
the Ohio and Erie canals that have made it such, though it
exports much by the way of the Welland canal to Canada. It has a
ready connection with Pittsburgh, through the Pennsylvania and
Ohio canal, which extends from the Ohio canal at Akron to Beaver
cr., which enters the Ohio below Pittsburgh. The natural
advantages of this place are unsurpassed in the west, to which
it has a large access by the lakes and the Ohio canal. But the
Erie Canal constitutes the principal source of its vast
advantages; without that great work, it would have remained in
its former insignificance. The total number of pounds on which
toll is charged which arrived at Cleveland, in 1840, was
280,233,820, in which was included 2,151,450 bushels of wheat,
504,900 barrels of flour, 23.000 do. of pork, 782,033 pounds of
butter, 513,452 of lard, 683,499 of bacon, 1,154,641 of pig
iron, 2,252,491 of iron and nails, 643,954 pieces of staves and
The whole number of pounds weight of all property on which toll
is paid by weight, which cleared from Cleveland by way of the
canal in 1840 was, 9,563,396 pounds of merchandise. 1,163,167 of
furniture, 1,770,016 of gypsum, 1,265,656 feet of lumber, 76.729
barrels of salt, 8,959 do. of lake fish, 2,560 M. shingles, 21
pairs of mill stones.
The number of clearances of boats, was 4,137; but there were
only 312 different boats. In the year 1810, 1,344 vessels,
exclusive of steamboats, entered the port; and 1,344 vessels,
and 1,020 steamboats, cleared. There are owned at Cleveland, 67
schooners, 2 brigs, 3 sloops, 11 steamboats; the total tonnage
in 1840 was 9,514. There were in 1840, 21 foreign commission
houses, with a cap. of $58,000; 66 retail stores, cap. $139,700;
3 lumber yards, cap. $3,000; 1 furnace ; machinery produced,
$3,000; 2 distilleries, and 1 brewery, cap. $32,000; 1 flouring
m. manufactured to the amount of $125,000; 5 printing offices, 3
binderies, 1 daily and 4 weekly newspapers, and 1 periodical,
employed a cap. of $9,700. Total cap. in manufac. $128,632. 5
acad. 148 students, 15 sch. 1,089 scholars. Besides numerous
respectable private schools, there are from 12 to 15 public
schools, supported at an annual expense of $4,000. There are 4
large school edifices, which contain about 7,00 scholars. The
Cleveland Lyceum is a respectable literary institution, which
holds discussions and sustains lectures during the winter
season. There is also a reading room well supplied with
periodicals. There are 8 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, 1
Episcopal, 2 Methodist, 1 Congregational, and a chapel for
boatmen and sailors.
There are two banks, with an aggregate capital of $800,000; and
an insurance co., with a capital of $500,000. There is a
light-house on the high bank of the lake, and another light at
the entrance of the harbor. There are 2 daily papers and 5
weekly papers issued in this place. Ohio City, on the opposite
side of the Cuyahoga r., constitutes, virtually, one place with
Cleveland. (See Ohio City.) It has, however, a separate
The municipal authority of Cleveland consists of a mayor, 3
aldermen, 1 from each ward; and 9 councilmen, 3 from each ward.
Cleveland derives its name from Gen.
Moses Cleveland, an agent of the Connecticut Land co., who
accompanied the first surveying party upon the Connecticut
Western Reserve. The city plat was surveyed under his direction
in 1796. The Indian title to the territory had been extinguished
2 years before, but was not extinguished on the w. side of the
r. until July 4th, 1805. Cleveland was incorporated as a village
in 1814 and as a city in 1836.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!