Coberlys, OH to Collinsville, CT
Coberly's, p-o., Allen t., Union co., O., 51 n. w. Columbus, 441
Cobleskill, p-t., Schoharie co., N. Y., 42 w. Albany, 336 W. The
surface is hilly, with fertile valleys. Drained by Cobleskill
cr. Here is a mill stream issuing from a natural well, which has
never been effectually sounded. This stream soon enters a
subterranean passage and reappears after a distance of 7 miles.
The v. contains 1 church, 3 stores, 1 saw m., and 20 dwellings.
The t. has 13 stores, cap. $48,100; 3 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 1
brewery, 5 grist m., 21 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,400. 19 sch.
987 scholars. Pop. 3,583.
Cobleskill Centre, p-o., Cobleskill t., Schoharie co., N. Y., 44
w. Albany, 384 W.
Coburn's Store, p-o., Mecklenburg co., N. C., 167 w. s. w.
Raleigh, 404 W.
Cocalico, p-o., Lancaster co., Pa., 37 e. by s. Harrisburg, 135
Cochecton, p-t., Sullivan co., N. Y., 131 s. w. Albany, 293 W.
The surface is hilly; soil, gravelly loam. Delaware r. bounds it
on the w. Drained by Collicoon and Ten Mile creeks, which flow
into the Delaware. The v. is situated on the e. side of the
Delaware, and contains 1 store, 20 dwellings, and about 125
inhabitants. There are in the t., 2 stores, cap. $3,800; 1
tannery, 2 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $18,500. 5 sch.
167 scholars. Pop. 622.
Cochran, t., Macon co., Mo. Pop. 196.
Cochran's Grove, p-v., Shelby co., Ill., 72 s. e. Springfield,
Cochran's Mills, p-o., Pickens co., Ala., 39 w. Tuscaloosa, 857
Cochran's, p-o., Putnam co., O.
Cochransville, p-v., Chester co., Pa., 62 e. s. e. Harrisburg,
Cochran, t., Macon co., Mo. Pop. 196.
Cochranton, p-o., Salt Rock t., Marion co., O., 10 w. Marion, 8
Cocke, County, Tenn. Situated in the e. part of
the state, bounded on the s. e. by the Smoky Mountains, a chain
of the Alleghany from N. C. Drained by French Broad r. and Big
Pigeon r. It contains 374 sq. ms. The surface is uneven and
broken. Capital, Newport. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,435,
sheep 2,880, swine 15,190; wheat 18,820 bush, produced, rye
2,145, hid. corn 265,680, oats 29,450, potatoes 5,455, hops 335
pounds; 6 stores, cap. $26,000; 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 2
flouring m., 4 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,250. Pop.
1830. 6,017; 1840, whites 6,199, slaves 634, free col'd 159;
Cochranton, p-o., Harrison co., O.
Codorus, creek, rises in Frederick co., Md., and after a
comparative course of 30 ms., enters the Susquehanna r. near New
Holland v., in Pa.
Codorus, p-v., Old Codorus t., York co., Pa., 37 s. Harrisburg,
83 W. Situated on Codorus creek.
Coelers, p-o., Pittsylvania co., Va., 174 s. w. by w. Richmond,
Coeymans, p-t., Albany co., N. Y., 13 s. Albany, 356 W. The
surface is broken; soil various. Drained by Coeyman's cr., and
other small tributaries of Hudson r. The v. is situated on the
w. side of the Hudson r., and contains 1 Dutch Reformed, and 1
Methodist church, 10 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 axe fee, 1
cloth dressing and lulling m., and extensive brickyards. It
contains 100 dwellings, and about 700 inhabitants. It has a
steamboat landing, and several sloops navigating the r. There
are in the t., 15 stores, cap. $23,d00; 2 tanneries, 2 grist m.,
6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $31,050; 15 sch. 733 scholars. Pop
Coeyman's Hollow, p-o., Coeyman's t., Albany co., N. Y., 19 p.
Albany, 362 W.
Coffee, County, Tenn. Situated in the central
part of the state, and contains 170 sq. ms. The surface is
undulating; soil fertile. Drained by head branches of Duck r.
Capital, Manchester. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,243,
sheep 8,198, swine 34,119; wheat 47,799 bush, produced, rye,
4,761, Ind. corn 1,565,873, oats 74,934, potatoes 12,105,
tobacco 26,348 pounds, cotton 69,060, sugar 700; 8 stores, cap.
$25,540; 9 tanneries, 26 distilleries, 1 rope fee, 10 grist m.,
6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,550. 8 sch. 342 scholars. Pop.
whites 7,057, slaves 1,105, free col'd 22; total, 8,184.
Coffee Creek, p-o., Porter co., Ia., 148 n. n. w. Indianapolis,
Coffee Run, p-o., Huntingdon co., Pa., 103. w. Harrisburg, 107
Coffeeton, p-o., Wabash co., Ill., 170 s. e. Springfield, 726 W.
Coffeeville, p-v., Clark co., Ala., 132 w. by s. Tuscaloosa, 944
W. Situated on the e. bank of Tombigbee r.
Coffeeville, p-v., capital of Yallabusha co., Miss., 130 n. by
e. Jackson, 941 W. Situated on both sides of Turkey cr., a
branch of Yazoo r. It contains a court house and several
Cohasset, p-t., Norfolk co., Ms., 20 s. e. Boston, 460 W.
Incorporated in 1770. It has a rocky and dangerous coast. It has
considerable shipping, mostly engaged in coasting and fishing.
Its ocean breezes make it a pleasant summer resort. It has 9
stores, cap. $10,400; 1 flouring m., 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $15,500. 2 acad. 45 students, 5 sch. 423 scholars.
Cohocton, p-o., Steuben co., N. Y., 230 w. by s. Albany, 315 W.
Cohoes,p-v., Watervliet t., Albany co., N. Y., 8 n. Albany, 378
W. Situated on the s. w. bank of the Mohawk r., a little below
Cohoes Falls, near the junction of the Erie and Champlain
canals. Here is a cotton fac. with 7,000 sp. and 220 looms, 1
flouring m., 3 saw m., 1 iron and brass foundry, and various
other manufactories. The v. contains 6 chinches, 1 Presbyterian,
1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, 1 Dutch Reformed, and 1
Universalist, 12 stores, 200 dwellings, and about 2,000
inhabitants. The water power, which might be employed at this
place, is very extensive.
Cohoes Falls, on the Mohawk r., 2 miles from its mouth, near
Cohoes v., N. Y., present a romantic, and when the river is
full, a grand appearance. Besides a rapid above and below, the
river here, from 3 to 400 feet broad, has a perpendicular fall
of 70 feet. Half a mile below the falls is a bridge across the
r., 800 feet long, presenting a beautiful view of the cataract.
This fall is always an object of curiosity and admiration to
Cohuttah Spring, p-o., Murray co., Ga., 12 n. Spring Place, 2i
from the n. boundary of the state. Situated at the base of
Cohuttah mt. The spring is on the s. side of a small and
beautiful stream, issuing from the mountain, which joins the
Connesauga cr., 6 miles below. This is one of the most valuable
mineral springs in this section of the country.
Coitsville, p-t., Trumbull co., O., 182 n. e. Columbus, 17 s. e.
Warren, 289 W. Beaver r. and the Beaver canal run through its s.
w. corner. It has 8 sch. 365 scholars. Pop. 1,005.
Cokesburg, p-v., Abbeville dist., S. C, 93 w. Columbia, 523 W.
Coker Creek, p-o., Monroe co., Tenn.
Colbert, p-v., Lowndes co., Miss., 155 n. e. Jackson, 899 W.
Situated on the \v. side of the Tombigbee river. It contains
several stores and dwellings.
Colbyville, p-v., Clarke co., Ky., 39 e. s. e. Frankfort, 530 W.
Colchester, p-t., Chittenden co., Vt.,46 w. s. w. Montpelier,
519 W. It has Lake Champlain on its w. border, from which
Mallet's bay, a large body of water, sets up into the town.
Lamoille r. runs through its n. w. corner. First settled in
1774. The natural growth was partly white pine, with a light
soil; and partly hard wood, with a fertile clay loam. On Onion
river, partly in this own and partly in Burlington, is Winooski
city, a flourishing manufacturing village, with a covered bridge
across the r., and where is an extensive water power. The t. has
been extensively employed in the lumber trade. It has 3 stores,
cap. $5,400; 1 woolen fac, 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. 8157,800. 9
sch. 297 scholars. Pop. 1,739.
Colchester, p-t.. New London co., Ct., 24 s. s. e. Hartford, 20
n. n. w. New London, 384 W. The surface is uneven; soil, fertile
gravelly loam. Watered by Salmon r. The village is pleasantly
situated, on elevated ground, chiefly on one street, and
contains a Congregational and a Baptist church; and Bacon
Academy, founded in 1800, by the donation of $35,000, which has
the name of its founder. It is a free school to all the
inhabitants of the first ecclesiastical society. The building is
of brick, 3 stories high, 75 feet long, and 34 wide. It usually
has from 90 to 10D scholars. The t. has 6 stores, cap. $28,900;
1 tannery, 3 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,800. 1 acad.
250 students, 14 sch. 619 scholars. Pop. 2,101.
Colchester, p-t., Delaware co., N. Y., 98 s. w. by w. Albany,
316 W. The surface is hilly and mountainous; soil, adapted to
grazing. Drained by Papacton branch of Delaware r. Lumber is
rafted to Philadelphia. It has 2 stores, cap. $10,000; 2 fulling
m., 1 tannery, 4 grist m., 31 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $900. 16
sch. 402 scholars. Pop. 1,567.
Coldbrook, p-v., Worcester co., Mass., 61 w. Boston. 413 W.
Pleasantly situated on a brook of the same name, and has some
Coldbrook, p-v., Russia t.. Herkimer co.. N. Y., 86 n. w.
Albany, 410 W. Situated on a stream of the same name, and
contains 1 church, 2 stores, 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 plaster m.,
40 dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants.
Coldbrook, p-o., Warren co., Ill., 115 n. w. Springfield, 844 W.
Colden, p-t., Erie co., N. Y, 236 w. Albany, 365 W. The surface
is hilly, and the soil clay, too wet and cold for grain, but it
produces good grass. Drained by Cazenove cr. Organized in 1827.
At the v. are some mills, and a small settlement. It has 1
store, cap. $1,000; 1 tannery, 1 pottery, 1 grist m., 6 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $4,700. 11 sch. 449 scholars. Pop. 1,0S8.
Coldenham. p-o., Newburg t, Orange co., N. Y, 90 s. by w.
Albany, 292 W.
Cold Spring, p-v., Phillipstown t., Putnam co., N. Y, 100 s.
Albany, 278 W. It has a romantic situation, on the e. side of
Hudson r., in the Highlands, 1 mile above West Point. It
contains 5 churches, 1 Baptist, 1 Catholic, 1 Episcopal, 1
Methodist, 1 Presbyterian, 11 stores, and 1,250 inhabitants. The
West Point foundry is situated here. It employs 400 men, and has
an iron foundry, a brass foundry, pattern, smith's, machine, and
boiler shops. There are attached to the foundry 3 ah furnaces, 3
cupolas. In the smith's shop there is 1 trip-hammer of 7 ts.
weight, and 2 tilt-hammers, one of a thousand and the other of
500 lbs. The machine shop contains 29 turning lathes, and 3
planing machines for iron.
Cold Spring, t., Cattaraugus co., N. Y., 308 w. Albany. The
surface is hilly, with extensive valleys.. Watered by Alleghany
river and Cold Spring cr., its tributary. It contains an Indian
village. Situated on the n. side of Alleghany r., on the line of
the N. Y. and Erie railroad. It is the centre of a considerable
lumber trade. There are in the town 1 store, cap. $500; 1 grist
m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,800. 1 sch. 45 scholars. Pop.
Cold Spring, p-v., Lower t., Cape May co., N. J., 105 s.
Trenton, 215 W. It contains an Episcopal church, 2 stores, and
15 or 20 dwellings.
Cold Spring, p-o., Edgefield dist., S. C.
Cold Spring, p-o., Wilkinson co., Miss., 120 s. w. Jackson,
Cold Spring, p-o., Campbell co., Ky., 91 n. n. e. Frankfort, 501
Cold Spring, p-v., Shelby co., Ill., 72 s. e. Springfield, 736
Cold Spring Harbor, p-v., Oyster Bay and Huntington ts., Queens
and Suffolk counties, N. Y., 186 s. by E. Albany, 266 W.
Situated on both sides of the head of Cold Spring harbor. It has
1 Episcopal church, 3 stores, 2 woolen factory, 1 grist m., 80
dwellings, and about 500 inhabitants. It has several ships
employed in the whaling business, and several smaller vessels in
the coasting trade.
Cold Stream, p-v., Hampshire co., Va., 21 e. Romney, 167 n. n.
w. Richmond, 595 W. Situated on the w. bank of Great Cacapon r.
It contains 1 church, 2 mills, 1 woolen fac, and other
Cold Water, p-o., Elbert co., Ga., 121 n. n. e. Raleigh, 575 W.
Cold Water, p-t., capital of Branch co., Mich., 110 w. s. w.
Detroit, 558 W. Watered by Cold-water river and its branches. It
has 10 stores, 1 furnace, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper,
1 flouring m., 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $40,400. 8
sch. 179 scholars. Pop. 1,123.
Cole, County, Mo., situated in the centre of
the state, and along the s. bank of 3Iissouri r., and contains
650 sq. ms. Osage r. runs on its s. w. border. Watered by Moreau
cr., which flows into the Missouri r., a few miles above the
entrance of the Osage r. Capital, Jefferson city. There were in
1840, neat cattle 8,978, sheep 7,832, swine 27,702; wheat 30,080
bushels produced, Indian corn 290,559, oats 49,173, potatoes
23,475, tobacco 179,455 pounds, cotton 1,382, sugar 7,569; 36
stores, cap. $91,928; 4 tanneries, 7 distilleries, 1 pottery, 32
grist m., 3 saw m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers.
Cap. in manufactures $35,197. 2 acad. 74 students, 14 sch. 314
scholars. Pop. 1830, 3,023; 1840, whites 8,073, slaves 1,179,
free col'd 34; total, 9,286.
Cole, L, Benton co., Mo. Pop. 817.
Colebath, t., Clarke co., Ark., Pop. 169.
Colebrook, p-t., Coos co., N. H., 135 n. Concord, 596 W.
Connecticut river runs on its w. boundary. Watered by Mohawk r.
and Beaver brook. On Connecticut river are fine intervale lands.
Incorporated in 1790. It has an incorporated academy; 2 stores,
cap. $8,000; 8 sch. 192 scholars. Pop. 743.
Colebrook, t., Ashtabula county, O. Rock and Musketo creeks pass
through it. It has 5 sch. 205 scholars. Pop. 530.
Colebrook, p-t, Litchfield co., Ct., 32 x. w. Hartford, 356 W.
First settled in 1765. The surface is uneven, and the soil hard
and gravelly, well fitted for grazing. Drained by Colebrook r .,
a tributary of the w. branch of Farmington r., which affords
mill seats. It contains 3 churches, a Congregational, at the
centre, a Baptist in the n. w., and an Episcopal in the s. e.
part. It has 2 stores, cap. $6,500; 2 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1
paper manufac, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $45,300. 8
sch. 222 scholars. Pop. 1,232.
Colebrookdale, p-t., Berks co., Pa., 73 e. Harrisburg, 166 W. It
has 4 stores, cap. $13,700; 2 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 4 grist
m., 4 saw m., 2 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $11,250. Pop. 1,124.
Colebrook River, p-o., Colebrook t., Litchfield co., Ct., 31 n.
w. Hartford, 355 W.
Cole Camp, p-o., Benton co., Mo., 65 s. w. Jefferson city, 1,001
Cole Creek, p-o., Fountain co., Ia., 66 w. s. w. Indianapolis,
Cole Creek, t., Montgomery co., Ia. It has 2 sch. 43 scholars.
Coleman, p-o., Cabarras co., N. C.
Coleman, p-o., Adair co., Ky., 116 s. by w. Frankfort, 630 W.
Coleman Cross Roads, p-o., Edgefield dist., S. C., 51 w.
Columbia, 537 W.
Colemansville, p-v., Harrison co., Ky., 53 n. e. Frankfort, 521
Colerain, p-t., Franklin co., Mass., 101 w. by n. Boston, 411 W.
Watered by a branch of Deer-field r., which affords water power.
It is a fine grazing township, and has considerable
manufactures. It contains 1 furnace; 4 stores, cap. $8,000; 1
fulling m., 3 cotton fac, 6,220 sp., 2 grist m., 4 saw m., 17
sch. 769 scholars. Pop. 1,971.
Colerain, t., Ross co., O., in the n. e. corner of the county.
Colerain, p-t., Lancaster co., Pa., 69 s. e. Harrisburg, 104 W.
It has 4 stores, cap. $8,200; 1 furnace, 1 forge, 1 fulling m.,
1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 4 grist m., 4 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $9,000. 7 sch. 240 scholars. Pop. 1,453.
Colerain, t, Bedford co., Pa. It has 1 store, cap. $2,000; 1
fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 1 pottery, 1 flouring m., 1
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,420. 1 sch. 30 scholars. Pop. 5,190.
Colerain, t., Hamilton co., O., 10 n. Cincinnati. The Great
Miami river forms its western boundary. It has 3 sch. 19
scholars. Pop. 2,272.
Colerain, p-v., Bertie co., N. C, 176 e. by n. Raleigh, 248 W.
Situated on the w. side of Chowan river.
Colerain, p-t., Belmont, co., O., 126 e. Columbus, 272 W. The
surface is hilly, and the soil productive. I has 3 sch. 68
scholars. Pop. 1,390.
Colerain Forge, p-v., Huntingdon co., Pa., 106 w. Harrisburg,
165 W. Situated on Spruce creek.
Coles, County Ill., situated in the e. part of
the state, and contains 1,248 sq. ms. Organized in 1830. Drained
by Kaskaskia and Embarrass rs., and by the heads of the Little
Wabash river, which affords mill seats. It is moderately
undulating, has extensive prairies, and much good land. Capital,
Charleston. There were in 1840, neat cattle 11,569, sheep 9,745,
swine 75,422; wheat 30,519 bush, prod., rye 1,403, Ind. corn
528,354, oats 61,722, hops 16,533 pounds, sugar 15,858; 22
stores, cap. $80,658; 3 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 1 flouring
m., 11 grist m., 8 saw r m. Gap. in manufac. $43,515. 19 sch.
545 scholars. Pop. 9,616.
Coles, C. H., p-o., Charleston v., capital of Coles co., Ill.,
96 e. s. e. Springfield, 688 W. Situated 2k miles w. of
Embarrass r. It has a court house, and several stores and
Cole's Creek, p-o., Columbia co., Pa., 113 n. n. e. Harrisburg,
Cole's Mill, p-o., Delaware co., O
Colesville, p-t., Broome co., N. Y., 124 w. s. w. Albany, 306 W.
The Susquehanna r. passes through it. The surface is generally
hilly, excepting fine alluvial flats along the river. The
village has 1 Presbyterian church, 1 store, and about 15
dwellings. Pop. of the t. 2,528. It has 2 stores, cap. $14,000;
1 tannery, 1 grist m., 14 saw m., 20 sch. 901 scholars. Pop.
College, t, Knox co., O. It has 3 sch. 125 scholars. Pop. 232.
College Corners, p-v., Butler co., O., 110 Columbus, 507 W. It
is in the n. w. corner of the county, on the margin of the state
of Ia. It has 2 stores, and several mechanics, and a small
College Hill, p-o., Lafayette co., Miss., 166 N. N. e. Jackson,
College Point, p-o., Flushing t., Queens co., N. Y., 159 s. s.
w. Albany, 239 W. It is the seat of St. Paul's College, an
Episcopal institution, pleasantly situated, commanding a fine
view of Long Island sound.
Collegeville, p-v., Saline co., Ark., 15 s. w. Little Rock,
Colleton, District, S. C, situated in the s.
part of the state, and contains 2,100 sq. ms. The surface is
entirely level, and the soil is productive. The Combahee r.
forms its s. w. boundary, and the Edisto passes through it. The
Atlantic washes its s. e. border. Its principal productions are
rice and cotton. Capital, Waterboro. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 3,595, sheep 8,975, swine 35,443; wheat 3,763 bush,
prod., Indian com 325,825, oats 29,823, potatoes 178,990, rice
5,483,533 pounds, cotton 420,910; 10 stores, cap. $9,700; 1
flouring m., 12 grist m., 13 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $30,800. 4
acad. 112 students, 21 sch. 642 scholars. Pop. 1830, 27,256;
1840, whites 5,874, slaves 19,246, free col'd 428; total,
Colleton, p-o., Fayette co., Tenn., 190 s. w. by w. Nashville,
Colletsville, p-v., Caldwell co., N. C, 213 w. Raleigh, 419 W.
Colliers, p-o., Edgefield dist., S. C, 91 w. Columbia, 569 W.
Collierstown, p-o., Rockbridge co., Va., 155 w. by n. Richmond,
195 W. Situated on Collier cr. in the w. part of the county, and
has 8 or 10 houses.
Colliersville, p-o., Milford t., Otsego co., N. Y., 73 w.
Albany, 355 W.
Colliersville, p-o., Shelby co., Tenn.
Colliery, p-o., Oglethorpe co., Ga., 77 N. Milledgeville, 601 W.
Collie's Mill, p-o., Caldwell co., Ky., 247 w. s. w. Frankfort,
Collins, p-t., Erie co., N. Y., 312 w. Albany, 364 W. The
surface, is undulating or hilly, and the soil various. Drained
by Cattaraugus cr., which runs on its s. border, and by branches
of that creek. It has 1 furnace; 9 stores, cap. $14,000; 1
fulling m., 1 woolen factory, 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 6 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $13,200; 21 sch. 898 scholars. Pop. 1,419.
Collins Centre, p-o., Collins t., Erie co., N. Y.
Collins Settlement, p-o., Lewis co., Va., 296 w. n. w. Richmond,
Collins Cross Roads, p-o., Caroline co., Md., 73 e. Annapolis,
Collins Cross Roads, p-o., Colleton dist., S. C., 119 s. by e.
Columbia, 608 W.
Collinsville, p-v., Canton t., Hartford co., Ct., 15 w. by n.
Hartford, 338 W. It is situated on both sides of Farmington r.,
and is a flourish-ing manufacturing v., employed chiefly on edge
tools, particularly axes, of which several hundred thousand are
produced annually. Collins's axes are extensively known. The
village has 1 church, a lyceum, and about 1,000 inhabitants.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!