Collinsville, NY to Columbia, OH
Collinsville, p-v., West Turin t., Lewis co., N. Y., 123 n. w.
Albany, 424 W. It contains 1 church, an academy, 3 stores, 20
dwellings, and 130 inhabitants.
Collinsville, p-v., Huntingdon co., Pa., 122 w. by n.
Harrisburg, 165 W.
Collinsville, p-v., Milford t., Butler co., O., 105 s. w.
Columbus, 498 W.
Collinsville, p-v., .Madison co., Ill., 86 s. by w. Springfield,
792 W. It has 1 Presbyterian church, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., and
Collinsville, p-o., Lycoming co., Pa.
Colon, p-t., St. Joseph co., Mich., 135 w. s. w. Detroit, 583 W.
Colosse, p-v., Mexico t., Oswego co., N. Y., 149 w. n. w.
Albany, 374 W. It contains 1 church, 2 stores, and 25 dwellings.
Colt's Neck, p-v., Shrewsbury t., Monmouth co., N. J., 40 e.
Trenton, 206 W. It contains 2 stores, 3 grist m., 2 saw m., and
about 20 dwellings, and is a place of considerable business. .
Columbia, r. (See Oregon Territory)
District of Columbia
Columbia, County, N. Y. Situated in the e. part
of the state, bounded w. by Hudson r., and contains 624 sq. ms.
Organized in 1786. The surface is uneven and hilly, in its e.
part, but less so toward Hudson r. The soil is various, and some
of it very rich, and highly cultivated. Iron ore is found, and a
lead mine in the town of Ancram. Marble exists also, and oxide
of manganese, peat, and marl. There are also many mineral
springs. Those of New Lebanon are warm: and much frequented.
Watered by Kinderhook cr. in the n., Claverack and Copake crs.
in the centre, and Ancram or Roeliff Jansen's cr. on the s.,
which afford good water power. The Hudson and Berkshire railroad
passes through the county. Capital, Hudson. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 32,699, sheep 123,063, swine 54,911; wheat 28,249
bush, produced, rye 323,299, Indian corn 412,032, barley 1,971,
oats 1,107,702, potatoes 560,819: 1 commercial house in for.
trade, cap. $14,000; 228 stores, cap. 8679,200; 7 lumber yards,
cap. 836.000; cap. invested in fisheries, $330,000; 5 furnaces,2
forges, 28 fulling m., 19 woolen fac, 11 cotton fac. 18,256 Bp.,
10 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 1 brewery, 12 flouring m., 39
grist m., 41 saw m., 4 paper fac, 4 printing offices, 1 bindery,
2 periodicals, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $1,457,050.
11 acad. 909 students, 172 sch. 10,074 scholars. Pop. 1830,
Columbia, County, Pa. Situated centrally in the
e. part of the state, and contains 700 sq. ms. The e. branch of
Susquehanna r. passes through it, and Fishing, Catawissa, Big
Roaring and other creeks. The surface is broken and uneven, but
the soil is fertile. Capital, Danville. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 13,525, sheep 22,184, swine 19,474; wheat 214,426 bushels
produced, rye 153,246, Ind. corn 205,400, buckwheat 50,584, oats
223,373, potatoes 163,480, silk cocoons 160 pounds; 55 stores,
cap. 8335,100; 2 furnaces, 7 fulling m., 3 woolen fac, 23
tanneries, 12 distilleries, 2 potteries 8 flouring m., 40 grist
m., 74; saw m., 1 oil m., 1 paper fac, 4 printing offices, 3
weekly newspapers. Capital in manufactures, 8266.487. 5 acad.
146 students, 87 sch. 2,902 scholars. Pop. 1830, 20,049:
Columbia, County, Ga. Situated in the e. part
of the state, and contains 600 sq. ms. Savannah r. bounds it on
the N. E. The surface is undulating, and the soil is fertile.
Capital, Applington. There were in 1840, neat cattle 12,533,
sheep 6,343, swine 24.395; wheat 20,258 bush, produced, rye 874,
Ind. corn 403,796, oats 31,144, potatoes 16,511, cotton
3,738,537 pounds; value of gold produced $4,000; 22 stores, cap.
$59,900; 2 tanneries, 6 flouring m., 27 grist m., 13 saw m. Cap.
in manufac $65,090. 6 acad. 240 students, 7 sch. 165 scholars.
Pop. 1830, 12,606; 1840, whites 3,920, slaves 7,313, free col'd
123; total, 11,356.
Columbia, County, Flor. Situated in the n. part
of the state, and is bounded w. by Suwanne r. and n. by the
state of Ga., and contains 4,320 sq. ms. The soil is generally
barren, covered with pines. There is some good land in the n. e.
part. St. Mary's river rises and flows in its n. e. part.
Randolph lake, toward its x. part, is 7 ms. long and 5 wide, and
discharges its waters into St. Mary's r. Gadsden's spring, on
the bank of Little Suwanne r., is 60 feet across, and 35 or 40
deep, and is celebrated for its medicinal properties. Capital,
Lancaster. There were in 1840, neat cattle 12,707, sheep 81,
swine 7,199; Ind. corn 35,975 bush, prod., potatoes 9.8S0,
cotton 26,692 pounds, sugar 2,000; 3 sch. 61 scholars. Pop
whites 1,649, slaves 450, free col'd 3; total. 2,102.
Columbia, p-t., Washington co., Me., 15 w. Machias, 120 e. by N.
Augusta. It has good mill seats, and considerable trade in
lumber. It contains 5 stores, cap. $3,000; 1 fulling m., 2
tanneries, 2 grist m.. 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,200. 5 sch.
380 scholars. Pop. 843.
Columbia, p-t., Coos co., N. IL, 126 x. Concord, 587 W. It has
Connecticut r. on its w. border, and several small mill streams
which flow into it. The surface is uneven and mountainous. It
has 2 stores, cap. $1,800; 9 sch. 189 scholars. Pop. 620.
Columbia, p-t., Tolland co., Ct., 24 e. by s. Hartford, 355 W.
The surface is uneven, and the soil gravelly, well adapted to
grazing. Drained by a branch of Willimantic r., which affords
water power. Organized in 1800, previous to which, it belonged
to Lebanon. It has 2 stores, t ap. $4,220; 1 fulling m., 1
cotton fac. 288 sp., 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$13,300. 6 sch. 226 scholars. Pop. 974.
Columbia, p-t., Herkimer co., N. Y., 75 w. by n. Albany, 379 W.
The surface is hilly; soil, calcareous and sandy loam. Drained
by branches of Unadilla and Susquehanna rivers, and by other
streams which flow n. into the Mohawk. It has 3 stores, cap.
$4,650; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 4 tanneries, 3 grist m.. 8
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $25,745. 13 sch. 420 scholars. Pop.
Columbia, p-b., West Hempfield t., Lancaster co., Pa., 30 s. E.
Harrisburg, 102 W. Situated on the E. bank of the Susquehanna
r., over which there is here a bridge 5,690 feet long, resting
on stone piers. Incorporated in 1814. The Susquehanna canal
connects it with Havre De Grace, at the mouth of the
Susquehanna; and the Columbia and Philadelphia railroad passes
through the place. It has a town hall, a market house, 8
churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Lutheran. 1 Methodist,
1 Friends, 1 Roman Catholic, and 2 African, a bank, a library,
an academy, and a weekly newspaper. The place is supplied with
water in pipes, from some springs in the vicinity. Its trade
with Philadelphia and Baltimore, in lumber, coal, iron, and
produce, is considerable. Pop. 2,719.
Columbia, p-v., Warren co., N. J., 71 n. by w. Trenton, 219 W.
Columbia, t., Bradford co., Pa. It has 2 stores, cap. $4,700; 1
tannery, 1 distillery, 1 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$5,210. 13 sch. 325 scholars. Pop. 1,421.
Columbia, p-t., Jackson co., Mich., 74 w. Detroit, 534 W. It has
1 flouring m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $12,000. Pop. 952.
Columbia, p-v., Fluvanna co., Va., 50 w. n. w. Richmond, 124 W.
Situated on the n. bank of James r., at the mouth of the Rivanna
r. It has 1 church, several stores, various mechanics, and about
200 inhabitants, one half of whom are col'd persons
Columbia, p-v., capital of Tyrrell co., N. C, 200 e. Raleigh,
324 W. It is situated on the e. side of Scoupernony cr., a
little e. of its entrance into Albemarle sound. It contains a
court house and several stores and dwellings.
Columbia, p-v., capital of Richland dist., S. C. and of the
state, is situated in 33° 57' N. lat., and 81° 7' w. Ion., and
4° w. Ion. from W., 35 s. w. Camden, 73 n. e. Augusta, 120 n. n.
w. Charleston, 506 W. It is situated on the E. side of Congaree
r., immediately below the junction of broad and Saluda rs. to
form the Congaree. The land rises gradually from the r., where
is a plain of 2 or 3 miles in extent, from which the ground
slopes gradually on every side. On this plain the town is
situated, and the situation is commanding, having an extensive
prospect. It was founded in 1787, and is regularly laid out,
with streets crossing each other at right angles, and 100 feet
wide. It has a state house, 170 feet by 60, 2 stories high,
situated in the central part of the town, a court house, jail,
market house, bank, j 2 academies, 1 for males and 1 for
females, 5 or 6 houses of worship, which belong to the
Presbyterians, Episcopalians, Baptists, and Methodists. The
Presbyterian church is an elegant building, w ith 2 lofty
spires; other churches are neat edifices. The houses, mostly of
wood, but a considerable number of brick, are built with
elegance and taste. Large boats navigate the r., and a steamboat
plies between this place and Charleston. Columbia is the seat of
the South Carolina College, a respectable institution, founded
in 1804, which has a president and 8 profess-ors or other
instructors, 168 students, and 13,000 vols, in its libraries.
The commencement is on the first Monday in December. The
buildings of the institution are 7 in number, of brick, and
regularly arranged, presenting an imposing aspect. Besides rooms
for the students, and other college purposes, they include
houses for the president and a number of professors. The
buildings containing rooms for students are 2, each 210 feet
long, 25 feet wide, and 3 stories high, standing opposite to
each other, with the president's house at the head of the open
space between them. Their narrowness allows of a very complete
ventilation. On the top of another building, which contains the
library and philosophical apparatus, is an observatory. This
institution receives $15,000 annually from the state, besides
$200,000 which has been expended upon it. Pop. 3,500.
Columbia, p-v., Henry co., Ala., 239 s. w. Tuscaloosa, 847 W.
Columbia, p-v., capital of Marion co., Miss., 113 s. s. E.
Jackson, 1,063 W. Situated on the e. bank of Pearl r. It
contains a court house and a few dwellings.
Columbia, p-v., capital of Chicot co., Ark., 142 s. e. Little
Rock, 1,152 W. Situated on the w. side of the Mississippi r. It
has a court house and a few dwellings.
Columbia, p-v., capital of Maury co., Tenn., 42 s. s. w.
Nashville, 719 W. Situated on the s. bank of Duck river. It
contains a court house, jail, 2 churches, several stores, and
1,200 inhabitants. It is the seat of Jackson College, which was
founded in 1830. It. has at present 5 professors, or other
instructors, 100 students, and one thousand two hundred and
fifty volumes in its libraries.
Columbia, v., capital of Whitley co., Ia., situated on the n. w.
side of Blue r.
Columbia, p-v., capital of Adair co., Ky., 98 s. by w.
Frankfort, 612 W. Situated on Russell's cr., a branch of Green
r., and contains a courthouse, jail. 2 churches, 1 college, 61
students, 1 sch. 12 scholars. Pop. 486.
Columbia, p-v., Fayette co., Ia., 55 e. Indianapolis, 529 W.
Columbia, p-v., Monroe co., HI., 107 w. by s. Springfield, 820
Columbia, p-t., capital of Boone co., Mo., 36 n. Jefferson city,
941 W. Situated on Roche Pierre r., a branch of the Missouri r.
Columbia, p-v., capital of Caldwell par., La., 273 N. w. New
Orleans, 1,187 W. Situated on the w. side of Washita r. It has a
court house, 1 or 2 stores, and a few 7 dwellings.
Columbia, t., Hamilton co., O., 6 e. Cincinnati. It was the
second place settled in Ohio. Founded in 1789. It has Little
Miami r. on the s. E., and Ohio r. on the s. w. The soil is
fertile. It has 7 sch. 256 scholars. Pop. 3,043.
Columbia, t., Lorain co., O., situated in the extreme e. part of
the co., lying on both sides of Rocky r., 12 s. e. Elyria, 20 s.
w. Cleveland. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 1 grist m., 6 saw m.,
4 sch. 114 scholars. Pop. 876.
Columbia, t., Gibson co., O. It has 2 schools, 40 scholars. Pop.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!