Conquest, OH to Cornwall, CT
Conquest, p o., Miami co., O., 63 w. Columbus, 462 W.
Conrad's Store, p-o., Rockingham co., Va., 109 n. w. Richmond,
Constable, t., Franklin co., N. Y., 6 n. Malone, 218 n. by w.
Albany. The surface is level, and the soil sandy loam. Drained
by Trout r., which flows into the Chateaugay r., a branch of the
St. Lawrence. It has 2 stores, cap. $10,150; 1 fulling m., 1
tannery, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,850. 7 sch.
379 scholars. Pop. 1,122.
Constableville, p-v.. West Turin t., Lewis co., N. Y.. 133 n. w.
Albany, 419 W. It contains 2 churches, 1 Episcopal and 1 Union,
2 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 saw m., 20 dwellings, and about 130
Constantia, p-t.. Oswego co., N. Y., 135 w. n. w. Albany, 30 e.
Oswego, 373 W. The surface is level; soil, sandy loam. Oneida
lake bounds it on the s. Drained by Scriba cr. It has 8 stores,
cap. $22,000; 2 furnaces, 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist m.,
19 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $57,830. 15 sch. 533 scholars. Pop.
Constantine, p-v., St. Joseph co., Mich., 149 w. s. w. Detroit,
596 W. Situated on St. Joseph r., at the junction of Fall r. It
has 1 Episcopal church, 7 stores, 1 flouring m., and 2 saw m.
Steamboats and keel boats pass from this to the mouth of the St.
Joseph. The rivers here afford excellent water power. It is a
place of extensive business. Pop. 751.
Constitution, p-o., Washington co., O.
Contoocook, r., Hillsborough co., N. H. Its principal branch
rises in Rindge t., Cheshire co., and pursues a n. and n. e.
course until it enters Merrimac r., on the n. line of Concord t.
It is a fine mill stream.
Contoocook Village, p-v., Hopkinton t., Merrimac co., N. H., 10
w. Concord, 478 W. Situated on the Contoocook r. Here is
extensive water power, and a number of mills.
Convenience, p-o., Fayette co., O., 54 s. w. Columbus, 426 W.
Convis. t., Calhoun co., Mich., 113 w. Detroit, 578 W. It has 5
sch. 16 scholars. Pop. 292.
Conway, County, Ark. Situated in the central
part of the state, and contains 1,025 sq. miles. Arkansas r.
runs on its s. w. border. Drained by Cadron and Point Remove crs.
Surface uneven. Capital. Lewisburg. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 7,605, sheep 939, swine 14,644, wheat 1,709 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 135,365, oats 1,430, potatoes 10,570, cotton
2,702 pounds, 5 stores, cap. $14,690; 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1
oil m. Cap. in manufac. $1,500. 1 acad. 22 students. Pop. 1830,
932; 1840, whites 2,695, slaves 192, free col'd 5; total, 2,392.
Conway, p-o., Aroostook co., Me.
Conway, p-t., Carroll co., N. H., 63 n. n. e. Concord, 552 W.
Watered by Swift r., and other branches of Saco r.. which passes
through it. The Saco is here 10 or 12 rods wide. There is a
large pond on its s. border, which has an outlet into Saco r. A
sulphur spring here is some resorted to. 3Iagnesia and fuller's
earth are also found. It has 6 stores, cap. $11,500; 1 fulling
m., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,755. 18
sch. 737 scholars. Pop. 1,801.
Conway, p-t., Franklin co., Mass., 102 w. by n. Boston, 397 W.
Deerfield r. washes its n. e. border, and a branch of this r.
passes through it. Incorporated in 1767. It has a Congregational
and a Baptist church, and considerable manufactures. It has 6
stores, cap. $10,300; 1 woolen fac, 3 cotton fac. 2,294 sp., 1
tannery, 2 distilleries, 1 grist m., 3 saw in. 17 sch. 431
scholars. Pop. 1,409.
Conwayborough p-v., capital of Horry dist., S. C, 196 e. by s.
Columbia, 46 1 W. Situated on the w. bank of Waccamaw r., which
is navigable to this place for steamboats. It contains a court
house, and several stores and dwellings.
Conyngham. p-v., Luzerne co., Pa., 108 n. n. e. Harrisburg, 218
W. It occupies a romantic situation, surrounded by mountains. It
is neatly built, chiefly on one street, and contains several
stores, and over 59 dwellings.
Cook, County, Ill., in the n. e. part of the
state, lies on Lake Michigan. It contains 864 sq. ms. The
surface is undulating, consisting of prairie, groves of timber,
and some swamp. Drained by Calumic, Chicago, and Des Plaines
rivers. Capital, Chicago. There were in 1340, neat cattle 8,441,
sheep 990, swine 10,812; wheat 24,977 bush, produced, Ind. corn
49,231, buckwheat 3,710, barley 3,494, oats 109,129, potatoes
122,176; 4 commission houses, cap. $35,300; 102 stores, cap.
$409,800; 11 lumber yards, cap. $31,900; 1 furnace, 1
distillery, 1 brewery, 2 flouring m., 1 saw m., 3 printing
offices, 1 periodical, 2 daily, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in
manufac. $62, 150. 2 sch. 70 scholars. Pop. 1,168.
Cook's Bridge, p-o., Newcastle co., Del., 62 w. by n. Dover, 96
Cookham, p-v., Fairfield dist., S. C, 20 N. Columbia, 439 W.
Cooksburg, p-v., Rensselaerville t, Albany co., N. Y.
Cook's Corners, p-o., Erie co., O., 103 n. e. Columbus, 412 W.
Cook's Law Office, p-o., Elbert co., Ga., 110 n. n. e.
Milledgeville, 566 W.
Cook's Run, p-o., Clinton co., Pa., 147 n. n. w. Harrisburg, 239
Cookstown. p-o., Washington t., Fayette co., Pa., 197 w. by s.
Harrisburg, 219 W. Situated on the e. bank of Monongahela river.
It has 2 churches, 5 stores, 115 dwellings, and about 600
Cooksville, p-v., Ann Arundel co., Md., 53 n. w. Annapolis, 58
Cooksville, p-v., Noxubee co., Miss., 132 n. e. by e. Jackson,
Coolbaugh's, p-t., Monroe co., Pa., 133 n. e. Harrisburg, 232 W.
Cool Spring, p-t., Mercer co., Pa., 175 w. n. w. Harrisburg, 243
W. Drained by Cool Spring cr. and Otter cr., branches of
Neshanock r. It has 3 stores, cap. $3,500: 2 distilleries, 3
grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $375. 12 sch. 420 scholars.
Cool Spring, p-o., Washington co., N. C, 190 E. Raleigh, 314 W.
Cool Spring, p-o., Wilkinson co., Ga., 56 s. Milledgeville, 704
Cool Spring, p-o., Warren co., Ky., 142 s. w. Frankfort. 663 W.
Cool Spring, p-o., La Fayette co., Mo., 122 w. n. w. Jefferson
city, 1,048 W.
Cooper, r., S. C., unites with Ashley r. to form Charleston
harbor, entering it on the e. side of the city. A canal 21 ms.
long connects this r. with Santee r., which opens an extensive
communication between Charleston and the interior.
Cooper, County, Mo. Situated in the central
part of the state, and has Missouri r. on its n. border. It
contains 400 sq. ms. Drained by La Mine and Little Saline
rivers, and Manitou cr. The surface is undulating, and the soil
very fertile. Capital, Booneville. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 15,088, sheep 11,242, swine 40,298; wheat 43,371 bush,
produced, rye 1,376, Indian corn 537,059, oats 163,773, potatoes
22,634, tobacco 142,562 pounds, sugar 5,340; 31 stores, cap.
$307,460; 5 tanneries, 8 distilleries, 4 flouring m., 5 saw m.,
1 oil m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Capital in
manufac. $114,850. 3 acad. 142 students, 21 sch. 811 scholars.
Pop. 1830, 6,904; 1840, whites 8,312, slaves 2,157, free col'd
15; total, 10.434.
Cooper, p-t., Washington co., Me., 196 e. n. e. Augusta, 782 W.
It has a small lake on its n. e. part, the outlet of which runs
on its e. border, and enters into Cobscook bay. It has 1 grist
m., 1 saw m., 7 sch. 277 scholars. Pop. 657.
Cooper, p-t., Kalamazoo co., Mich., 131 w. Detroit, 596 W. It
has 3 sch. 60 scholars. Pop. 376.
Cooper's, p-o., Franklin co., Va., 169 w. s. w. Richmond, 244 W.
Cooper's, p-o., Smith co., Tenn., 60 e. Nashville, 667 W.
Coopersburg, p-o., Lehigh co., Pa., 95 e. n. e. Harrisburg, 108
Cooper's Mills, p-o., Lincoln co., Me., 13 s. Augusta, 605 W.
Cooperstown, p-v., Otsego t., capital of Otsego co., N.Y., 69 w.
Albany, 366 W. It is delightfully situated on a plain, at the
outlet of Otsego lake. Incorporated in 1812. It is neatly and
tastefully built, and is surrounded by beautiful scenery. The
lake is a fine sheet of water, and its outlet affords good water
power, and forms the commencement of the Susquehanna r. The v.
has a court house, jail, 5 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Episcopal, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, and" 1 Universalist, 20
stores, besides 2 bookstores, 1 banking house, 1 academy, 1
flouring m., 1 saw m., 200 dwellings, and about 1,400
Cooperstown, p-v., Plumb t., Venango co., Pa., 218 w. n. w.
Harrisburg, 292 W. It has a store and 5 or 6 dwellings.
Coopersville, p-o., Clinton co., N. Y.
Coopersville, p-v., Lancaster co., Pa., 55 s. e. Harrisburg, 113
Coop Creek, p-o., Marion co., Tenn., 107 s. e. Nashville, 608 W.
Coos, County, N. H. Situated in the n. part of
the state, and has Lower Canada on the n., the state of Maine on
the e., and Connecticut r. w. It contains 1,600 sq. ms. A
stream, which flows through Connecticut lake, forms one of the
sources of Connecticut r. Hall's stream, another source, which
lies w. of it, has been, by the re-cent treaty, fixed on as the
n. w. source of Connecticut r. described in the treaty of 1783.
The majestic White mountains, and some others, occupy the s.
part of this co. Drained on the w. by Mohawk, Ammonoosuck,
Israel's, and John's rivers, which flow w. into Connecticut, r.
On the e. flows the Androscoggin r., which enters the Atlantic
through Kennebec r. Incorporated in 1803. Much of the land is
rough, and not fitted for cultivation; but on Connecticut r.,
and. some other streams, it is good. Capital, Lancaster. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 11,334, sheep 21,092, swine 3,977:
wheat 26,951 bushels produced, rye 4,393, Ind. corn 14,325,
buckwheat 34,091, barley 6,523, oats 82,597, potatoes 432,521,
sugar 194,337 pounds; 23 stores, cap. $51,300; 5 fulling m., 5
tanneries, 23 grist m., 54 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly
newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $86,060. 1 acad. 128 students, 105
sch. 3,104 scholars. Pop. 1830, 8,390; 1840, 9,849.
Coosa, r., Ala., rises in Ga., and runs through the n. w. part
of that state into Alabama, and 8 miles below Wetumpka unites
with the Tallapoosa r. to form Alabama r. The Coosa is navigable
for steamboats 8 ms. above the junction to Wetumpka. Its whole
course is about 240 ms.
Coosa, County, Ala., a central eastern co.,
contains 870 sq. ms. Situated on the e. side of Coosa r., and is
drained by Hatchet, Paint, and Wawakee creeks, falling into the
Coosa r. Surface, hilly and diversified, with extensive pine
forests. Soil, fertile. Capital, Rockford. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 14,173, sheep 1,435, swine 20,271; wheat 10,050
bush, produced, Ind. corn 211,641, oats 5,656, potatoes 15,298,
rice 10,780 pounds, tobacco 1,132, cotton 172,505; 28 stores,
cap. $148,250; 4 tanneries, 8 grist m., 6 saw m., 1 printing
office, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $29,785. 2 acad.
60 students, 5 sch. 110 scholars. Pop. whites 4,858, slaves
2,125, free col'd 12; total, 6,995.
Coosawda, p-v., Autauga co., Ala., 106 s. e. Tuscaloosa, 832 W.
Situated on the w. bank of Alabama r., 6 miles below the
junction of Coosa and Tallapoosa rivers.
Coosawhatchie, r., S. C, runs s. s. E., and falls into Broad r.
An eastern outlet, called Whale Branch, and also Coosaw r.,
forms the island of Port Royal.
Coosawhatchie, p-v., capital of Beaufort dist., S. C, 134 s.
Columbia, 619 W. Situated on Coosawhatchie r., 75 s. w. by w.
Charleston. It has a court house, jail, and a few dwellings.
Copake, p-t., Columbia co., N. Y., 49 s. by e. Albany, 342 W.
The surface on the e. is mountainous; on the w. is a broad
valley, through which flows Ancram cr., where the soil is good.
It has 2 stores, cap. $1,800; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac. 1
tannery. Cap. in manufac. $15,000. 8 sch. 397 scholars. Pop.
Copeland, p-o., Telfair co., Ga., 96 s. by e. Milledgeville, 743
Copely, p-t., Summit co., O., 124 n. e. Columbus, 6 n. w. Akron,
337 W. The surface is generally level, in some parts rolling,
and the soil good, both for grain and grass. The t. contains 5
saw m., 3 flouring m., 2 carding machines, and other mills and
manufactories. It has 9 sch. 364 scholars. Pop. 1,439.
Copenhagen 7 , p-v., Denmark t., Lewis co., N. Y., 149 n. w.
Albany, 423 W. Situated on Deer r., which, half a mile below the
place, has a fall of 175 feet, nearly perpendicular, with high
projecting banks below, overhanging the stream, the whole
constituting a great curiosity. The v. has 1 church, 3 stores, 1
grist m., 1 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 ropewalk, 40 dwellings, and
about 250 inhabitants.
Copenhagen, p-v., Caldwell co., N. C, 206 w. Raleigh, 418 W.
Copenhagen, p-v., Caldwell par., La., 266 n. w. New Orleans,
Cope's Mills, p-o., Jefferson co., O., 146 e. by n. Columbus,
Copiah, County, Miss. Situated toward the s. w.
part of the state, and contains 900 sq. miles. Pearl r. runs on
its e. border. Drained by Bayou Pierre, and head branches of
Homochitto river. Capital, Gallatin. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 12.127, sheep 3.264, swine 29,755; Ind. corn 331,650
bush, produced, oats 12,321, potatoes 43,860, rice 53,885
pounds, cotton 3,335,520; 10 stores, cap. $101,100; 13 grist m.,
12 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in
manufac. $38,455. 12 sch. 251 scholars. Pop. 1830, 7,001; 1840,
whites 5,161, slaves 3,786, free col'd 7; total, 8,954.
Copiah Creek, p-o., Copiah co., Miss., 45 s Jackson, 1,049 W.
Copopa, p-o., Columbia t., Lorain co., O., 20 8. w. Cleveland,
135 n. n. e. Columbus, 365 W.
Copperas Creek, p-o., Fulton co., Ill., 77 n. w. Springfield,
Coral, p-o., McHenry co., Ill., 221 n. n. e. Springfield, 773 W.
Coram, p-v., Brookhaven t., Suffolk co., N. V., 203 s. s. e.
Albany, 283 W. It contains 1 church, 2 stores, and 12 or 15
Corbeau, v., Champlain t., Clinton co., N.Y. It contains 1
church, 2 stores, and several dwellings.
Corbettsville, p-o., Conklin t., Broome co., N. Y.
Cordova, p-o., Rock Island co., Ill., 166 n. n. w. Springfield,
Corea Fabre, p-v., Union co., Ark., 168 s. by w. Little Rock,
1,213 W. Situated on the w. bank of Wachita r., at the head of
Core Creek, p-o., Craven co., N. C.
Core's Mills, p-o., Tyler co., Va., 323 n. w. Richmond, 279 W.
Core Sound, on the coast of N. C., 40 miles long, opens in the
n. e. into Pamlico sound. The island which encloses it contains
Cape Lookout on its s. point.
Corfu, p-o.. Pembroke t., Genesee co., N. Y., 266 w. by n.
Albany, 330 W.
Corinna, p t., Penobscot co.. Me., 64 n. .n. w. Augusta, 659 W.
Incorporated in 1316. Watered by a head branch of Sebasticook r.
It is a fertile t., and has 2 tanneries, 14 sch. 409 scholars.
Corinna Centre, p-o., Corinna t., Penobscot co., Me., 62 n. n.
w. Augusta, 657 W.
Corinth, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., 85 n. n. e. Augusta, 630 W.
Drained by Kenduskeag stream, which enters the Penobscot r. at
Bangor. The soil is fertile. It has 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. 83,000. 9 sch. 258 scholars. Pop. 1,313.
Corinth, p-t., Orange co., Vt., 34 s. e. Montpelier, 513 W.
Drained by branches of Wait's r.. which afford water power.
First settled in 1777. The soil is a fertile loam. It has 6
stores, cap. $27,500; 2 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 4
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $14,300; 21 sch. 708 scholars. Pop.
Corinth, p-t., Saratoga co., N. Y., 52 n. by w. Albany, 421 W.
Organized in 1823. The surface is rolling; the soil, sandy loam.
It is bounded e. by Hudson r. The p-v., on the Hudson r., has
been heretofore denominated Jesup's Landing, now Corinth. It has
1 Presbyterian church, 1 store, and about 20 dwellings. Its
business in considerable in the lumber trade. There are in the
t. 4 stores, cap. $7,000; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 4
tanneries, 2 grist m., 13 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $16,400. 5
sch. 375 scholars. Pop. 1,365. F
Corinth, p-v., Heard co., Ga., 120 w. Milledgeville, 721 W. It
contains an academy, and 20 or 30 dwellings.
Cork, p-o., Ashtabula co., O., 191 n. e. Columbus, 342 W.
Corlaer's Hook, the s. e. point of the city of New York, at a
sudden bend in the East r.
Corn Creek, p-o., Trimble co., Ky., 47 n. w. Frankfort, 566 W.
Corneliusville, p-v., Boone co., Ky., 90 n. by e. Frankfort, 516
Corners, p-o., Windsor co., Vt., 70 s. Montpelier, 463 W.
Cornersburg, p-v., Trumbull co., O. It has a church, one or two
stores, and 20 or 30 dwellings.
Corner Stone, p-o., Tioga co., Pa., 131 n. Harrisburg, 241 W.
Cornersville, p-v., Giles co., Tenn., 61 s. Nashville, 711 W.
Situated in the n. e. corner of the county . It contains about
12 dwellings, and 60 inhabitants.
Cornersville, p-v., Graves co., Ky., 289 s. w. by w. Frankfort,
Cornersville, p-v., La Fayette co., Miss., 184 n. n. w. Jackson,
Cornersville, p-o., York co., Me., 73 s. w. Augusta, 549 W.
Corn Grove, p-o., Benton co., Ala., 15S e. n. e. Tuscaloosa, 736
Corning, p-v., Painted Post t., Steuben co., N. Y., 213 w. s. w.
Albany, 287 W. Situated on the s. side of Chemung r. It contains
3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, and 1 Methodist, a
banking house, 14 stores, 1 woolen fac, 1 flouring m., 2 saw m.,
1 iron foundry, 1 carriage fac, 1 axe fac, and various other
mechanical establishments. The line of the New York and Erie
railroad passes through the place. By means of a canal and
Seneca lake it is connected with the Erie canal. A railroad to
Blossburg, Pa., 40 ms. long, connects it with the bituminous
coal region of Pa. These communications have already rendered
its trade in lumber, coal, &c, extensive.
Cornish, p-t., York co.. Me., 76 s. w. Augusta, 547 W. Great
Ossipee and Saco rivers bound it on the n. Incorporated in 1794.
It has a fertile soil, and produces good wheat. It has 6 stores,
cap. $4,700; 2 tanneries, 1 pottery, 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$17,930. 11 sch. 536 scholars. Pop. 1,263.
Cornish, p-t., Sullivan co., N. H., 53 n. w. by w. Concord, 471
W. Connecticut r. runs on its w. border, over which is a bridge
to Windsor, Vt. The surface is uneven, except on the r., and the
soil is fertile. Chartered in 1763. Several small streams
furnish mill seats. It has 2 stores, cap. $6,000: 3 tanneries, 3
grist m., 6 saw m. 12 sch. 567 scholars. Pop. 1,726.
Cornish Flat, p-o., Cornish t., Sullivan co., N. H., 59 n. w. by
w. Concord, 474 W.
Cornishville, p-o., McHenry co., Ill., 210 n. n. e. Springfield,
Corn Planter, p-t., Venango co., Pa., 217 w. n. w. Harrisburg,
291 W. It has 2 stores, cap. $4,000. Cap. in manufac. $1,000. 1
sch. 25 scholars. Pop. 427.
Cornville, p-t., Somerset co., Me., 42 n. by e. Augusta, 637 W.
Watered by Wessaransett r., a tributary of Kennebec r.
Incorporated in 1798. It produces good wheat. It has 2 stores,
cap. $2,500; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 15 sch. 459 scholars. Pop.
Cornwall, p-t., Addison co., Vt., 63 s. w. Montpelier, 477 W.
Otter creek runs on its e. boundary. Lemonfair, a branch of the
same r., crosses its n. w. corner. The surface is generally
level, and the soil a strong clay loam. In the s. w. part is a
swamp, covering several thousand acres, but the place is
healthy. There is a Congregational and a Baptist church. It has
3 stores, cap. $12,000; 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 12 saw m., 1
oil m. Cap. in manufac $4,550. 7 sch. 240 scholars. Pop. 1,164.
Cornwall, p-t., Litchfield co., Ct., 39 w. by n. Hartford. 330
W. The surface is uneven in the w. part, and the soil various.
Housatonic r. runs on its w. border, and a small tributary
parses through it. First settled in 1740. A foreign mission
school was established here in 1713; and at it a number of
distinguished heathen youth have been educated, who have been
rueful among the American Indians, and the Sandwich Islanders.
The Housatonic railroad passes through the t. There are 3
furnaces, 5 stores, cap. $16,000; 3 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 2
tanneries, 2 grist m., 10 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $35,630. 14
sch. 447 scholars. Pop. 1,703.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!