Cornwall, NY to Covington, County, AL
Cornwall, t., Orange co., N. Y, 6 s. Newburg, 100 s. Albany. The
surface is hilly or mountainous. Butter Hill and Crow's Nest,
the highest peaks of the "Highlands," are here, and the sites of
old forts Putnam, Clinton, and Montgomery, of revolutionary
memory. Here is also West Point, the seat of the Military
Academy of the United States, for a particular description of
which, see West Point. It has 11 sch. 596 scholars. Pop. 3,925.
Cornwall, p-o., Lebanon co., Pa., 42 k. Harrisburg, 326 W.
Cornwall Bridge, p-o.. Cornwall t., Litchfield co., Ct., 42 w.
by n. Hartford, 326 W. A bridge here crosses the Housatonic r.
Cornwall Hollow, p-o., Cornwall t., Litchfield co., Ct., 33 w.
by n. Hartford, 337 W.
Cornwall Landing, v., Cornwall t., Orange co., N. Y. Situated on
the w. side of the Hudson r., at the northern termination of the
Highlands; it contains 4 stores, 20 dwellings, and about 125
Cornwallville, p-v., Durham t., Greene co., N. Y., 38 s. s. w.
Albany, 361 W. It has 1 church, 1 store, and 12 or 15 dwellings.
Corrington, p-o., Franklin co.. Ia., 81 e. s. e. Indianapolis,
Cortlandt, p-o., Kent co., Mich., 18G w. n. w. Detroit, 667 W.
Cortland, County, N. Y. Situated in the central
part of the state, and contains 500 sq. ms. The surface of this
county is elevated, with gently rising hills and broad valleys;
the soil is fertile, and alike adapted to grazing and to grain.
Drained by Toughnioga and Ostelic rs., which afford extensive
water power. Iron ore is found in small quantities; there are
some beds of marl, and one or two sulphur springs, and a salt
spring. Capital, Cortland. There were in 1840, neat cattle
33,739, sheep 99,160, swine 19,043; wheat 100,765 bush,
produced, rye 2,730, Indian corn 85,314, buckwheat 18,015,
barley 29,935, oats 276,681, potatoes 575,506, sugar 429,690
pounds; 33 stores, cap. $350,400; 3 lumber yards, cap. $2,200; 4
furnaces, 1 forge, 10 fulling m., 4 woolen fee, 1 cotton fac.
1,916 sp., 17 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 brewery, 1 pottery, 23
grist m., 84 saw m., 3 oil m., 1 paper fac, 2 printing offices,
1 bindery, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $369,955. 2
acad. 370 students, 179 sch. 7.930 scholars. Population, 1830,
23,755; 1840, 24,607.
Cortland, p-t., Westchester co., N. Y., 113 s. Albany, 262 W.
The surface is hilly, and in the n. w. mountainous, including a
portion of the Highlands. The soil is sand and a gravelly loam.
Watered by Croton r., which is taken to the city of New York in
a covered canal, to supply the city with wholesome water. The
water is said to be very pure, being derived chiefly from fine
springs. The p-o. is denominated Cortlandtown, situated in
Croton village. Pop. 5,592.
Cortlandville, p-t., capital of Cortland co., N. Y, 143 w. by s.
Albany, 314 W. The sur-face is undulating; soil, fertile
argillaceous mold. Drained by Toughnioga r. and its branches. It
has 9 stores, cap. $115,000; 1 furnace, 3 fulling m., 1 woolen
fac, 1 tannery, 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac $20,850. 41 sch. 1,717
scholars. Pop. 3,799.
Cortland Village, p-v., in Cortlandville t., is situated on the
Toughnioga r., and contains a court house, jail, county clerk's
office, 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, and
1 Universalist, 12 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 paper m., 2
tanneries, 200 dwellings, and about 1,200 inhabitants. The
situation is pleasant, the houses are generally neat, and some
of them elegant.
Cortoise, t., Crawford co., Mo. Pop. 703.
Cortsville, p-o., Clark co., O., 54 w. Columbus, 449 W.
Corunna, p-v., capital of Shiawassee co., Mich., 79 n. w.
Detroit, 582 W. Situated on Shiawassee r., which affords good
water power. It has a court house, 1 store, 1 flouring m., and 1
saw m. In the immediate vicinity are beds of stone coal, lime
and sandstone; the last suitable for the manufacture of glass.
Corydon, p-t., McKean co., Pa., 233 n. w. Harrisburg, 317 W. It
has 1 store, cap. $700; 10 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $24,000. 1
sch. 60 scholars. Pop. 246.
Corydon, p-v., capital of Harrison co., Ia., 126 s.
Indianapolis, 623 W. Situated on the e. bank of Indian cr.,
which flows into the Ohio. It contains a large stone court
house, a jail, 2 churches, 1 Presbyterian and 1 3Iethodist, 7
stores, 100 dwellings, and about 700 inhabitants.
Cosgrove Hall, p-o., Union co., Pa.
Coshocton, County, O. Situated centrally m the
e. part of the state, and contains 562 sq. ms. Watered by
Killbuck cr., Whitewoman's cr., or Walhonding r., and Tuscarawas
r. The two latter unite at Coshocton v., to form the Muskingum
r. First settled in 1807. Organized in 1811. The surface is
uneven, but the hills are arable, and the valleys on the rivers
exceedingly fertile. There are salt wells, mineral coal, and
iron, and lead ore in the co. Capital, Coshocton. There were in
1840, neat cattle 15,869, sheep 31,967, swine 27,905; wheat
319,755 bush, produced, rye 8,667, Ind. corn 463,898, buckwheat
12,938, oats 186,597, potatoes 57.656; 38 stores, cap. $54,890;
1 furnace, 11 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 4 flouring m., 10 grist
m., 26 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper.
Cap. in manufac. $90,130. 14 sch. 484 scholars. Pop. 1830,
11,162; 1840, 21,590.
Coshocton, p-v., capital of Coshocton co., O.. 83 e. n. e.
Columbus, 337 W. Situated at the confluence of the Walhonding
and Tuscarawas rivers, on the s. E. side, at the head of the
Muskingum r. It is laid out on 4 terraces of land, each rising 9
feet above the other, the first three about 400 feet wide, and
the last 1,000 feet. It is regularly laid out, with streets
running at right angles with each other, and dividing the v.
into 36 blocks of 400 feet square, each divided into 8 lots. It
contains a brick court house, a jail, and a large steam flouring
and saw m. There are in the t. 6 stores, cap. $7,600; 1 tannery,
1 printing office, 1 weekly paper. Cap. in manufac $2,930. Pop.
Cossawago, t., Crawford co., Pa. It has 1 store, 1 grist m., 3
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,600. 7 sch. 300 scholars. Pop. 1,269.
Cosmopoli, p-o., Pickaway co., O., 25 s. Columbus, 396 W.
Cote Sans Dessein, p-v., Callaway co., Mo., 11 e. by n.
Jefferson city, 935 W. Situated on the n. bank of Missouri r., a
little below, and opposite the entrance of Osage r. It is the
site of an old French village, and derives its name from an
isolated hill on the river bank. The t. has 3 sch. 60 scholars.
Cotile, p-o., Rapides par., La., 319 N. w. by w. New Orleans,
Cottage, p-o., Montgomery co., Md., 48 w. n. w. Annapolis, 8 W.
Cottage Grove, p-o., Dane co., Wis., 21 Madison, 849 W.
Cottage Grove, p-o., Clark co., Ia.
Cottage Home, p-o., Lincoln co., N. C.
Cotton, t., Switzerland co., Ia. Pop. 1,450.
Cotton Gin, p-o., Lauderdale co., Ala., 145 n. Tuscaloosa, 754
Cotton Gin Port, p-v., Monroe co., Miss., 180 n. e. Jackson, 905
W. Situated on the e. side of the Tombigbee r.,1 immediately
below the junction of the e. and w. branches, at the head of
Cotton Grove, p-o., Davidson co., N. C., 102 w. Raleigh, 359 W.
Cotton Grove, p-o., Madison co., Tenn., 137 w. s. w. Nashville,
Cotton Hill, p-o., Randolph co., Ga.
Cotton Plant, p-o., Tippah co., Miss., 202 n. n. e. Jackson, 874
Cotton River, p-o.. Henry co., Ga., 72 w. by n. Milledgeville,
Cottonville, p-v., Marshall co., Ala., 109 n. e. Tuscaloosa, 706
Cottrelville, t., St. Clair co., Mich. It has 3 stores, cap.
$3,000; 1 tannery, 1 flouring m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$25,500. Population, 602.
Cotuit Village, p-v., Barnstable co., Ms., 68 s. s. e. Boston,
Coudersport, p-v., capital of Potter co., Pa., 170 n. n. w.
Harrisburg, 280 W. Situated on the N. side of Alleghany r. It
has 2 public squares, one on which stands the court house and
other public buildings, and 1 for an academy; 3 churches, 1
Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Methodist, 4 stores, 25 dwellings,
and 140 inhabitants.
Coultersville, p-o., Butler co., Pa., 213 w. by n. Harrisburg,
Councill's Store, p-o., Ashe co., N. C, 224 w. by n. Raleigh,
County Line, p-o., Niagara co., N. Y., 272 w. by n. Albany, 415
County Live, p-o., Davies co., N. C., 146 w. Raleigh, 364 W.
County Line, p-o., Campbell co., Ga., 117 w. n. w.
Milledgeville, 712 W.
County Line, p-o., Chambers co., Ala., 151 e. by s. Tuscaloosa,
County Line, p-o., Scott co., Miss., 60 e. Jackson, 957 W.
Coursenville, p-v., Stillwater t., Sussex co., N. J., 83 n.
Trenton, 252 W. It is situated 5 s. w. Newton, the capital of
the co., and contains 1 Store and 6 or 8 dwellings.
Courtableau, river, La., after a course of 35 ms. flows into the
Courtesy, p-o., Floyd co., Ga., 154 s. w. by w. Milledgeville,
Courtland, p-v., Lawrence co., Ala., 119 w. Tuscaloosa, 759 W.
Courtwright. p-v., Bloom t., Fairfield co., O., 20 s. e.
Columbus, 3S5 W.
Coushohocken, p-o., Montgomery co., Pa.
Cove Creek, p-o., Benton co., Ala., 131 e. s. e. Tuscaloosa, 724
Coventry, p-t., Orleans co., Vt., 54 e. by e. Montpelier, 566 W.
Watered by Barton and Black rivers, which enter into Lake
Memphremagog, and afford good water power. The n. part of the t.
lies on the lake. Chartered in 1785, but not settled until 1800.
The soil is generally fertile, consisting of a deep rich loam.
It has 2 stores, cap. $16,000: 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist
m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,500. 7 sch. 300 scholars. Pop.
Coventry Gore, a small strip of unincorporated land, Orleans
co., Vt. Pop. 10.
Coventry, t., Grafton co., N. H., 12 e. s. e. Haverhill, 70 n.
n. w. Concord. Watered by branches of Wild Amonoosuck r. and
Oliverian brook. The surface is rough and mountainous.
Moosehillock mountain, 4,636 feet above tide water, is in the s.
e. part of the t. Chartered in 1764. It has 1 grist m., 3 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $2,600. 6 sch. 175 scholars. Pop. 413.
Coventry, p-t., Tolland co., Ct., 17 e. Hartford, 353 W. The
surface is uneven, and the soil a gravelly loam. Willimantic r.
runs on its e. border, and Hop r. on its s. border, furnishing
good water power, which has been improved. Incorporated in 1711.
It has 4 stores, cap. $9,100; 3 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 2
cotton fac. 830 sp., 2 tanneries, 1 paper fac, 3 grist m., 6 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $196,137. 11 sch. 577 scholars. Pop. 2,018.
Coventry, t, Chester co., Pa. Situated on Tioga r. The surface
is hilly; soil, gravelly loam and clay. Exports lumber. Coal and
iron ore abound. The village is on the e. bank of Tioga r. There
are in the t. 15 stores, cap. $20,000; 1 forge, 1 fulling m., 2
woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 7 grist m., 6 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 1
sch. 385 scholars. Pop. 2,620.
Coventry, p-t., Kent co., R. I., 13 s. w. Providence, 395 W.
Watered by Flat r. and the s. branch of the Pawtuxet r.,
affording extensive water power, which has been improved in
extensive manufacturing. The surface is rough, and the soil,
sand or gravelly loam, adapted to grazing. Incorporated in 1742.
It has 14 stores, cap. $14,300; 1 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 14
cotton fac. 24,612 sp., 9 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$393,800. 13 sch. 289 scholars. Pop. 3,433.
Coventry, p-t., Chenango co., N. Y., 114 w. s. w. Albany, 320 W.
The surface is hilly and broken, and the soil sandy loam,
adapted to grass. Watered by Harper's and Kelsey's creeks,
branches of the Susquehanna r. The v. contains 2 churches, 2
stores, 40 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants. There are in
the town, 2 stores, cap. $6,000; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 4 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $5,150. 15 sch. 699 scholars. Pop. 1,681.
Coventry, t., Summit co., O. It has 5 sch. 186 scholars. Pop.
Coventryville, p-v., Coventry t., Chenango co., N. Y., 114 w. s.
w. Albany, 320 W. It contains 1 church, 1 store, 1 grist m., 2
saw m., and 15 or 20 dwellings.
Covert, p-t., Seneca co., N. Y., 176 w. Albany, 309 W. The
surface is elevated and level, and the soil fertile. Drained by
several small streams which flow into Cayuga lake. This lake
lies on its e. boundary. Organized in 1817. The v. contains 1
store, and 6 or 8 dwellings. There are in the t., 1 store, cap.
$6,000; 1 tannery, 4 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $11,000.
12 sch. 422 scholars. Pop. 1,563.
Cove Spring, p-o., Ralls co., Mo., 91 n. n. e. Jefferson city,
Covesville, p-v., Albemarle co., Va., 92 n. w. by w. Richmond,
142 W. It contains 1 Presbyterian church, 1 store, 1 tannery,
and about 30 inhabitants.
Coveville, p-o., Northumberland t., Saratoga co., N. Y., 33 n.
by e. Albany, 403 W.
Covington, County, Ala. Situated in the s. part
of the state, and contains 1,664 sq. ms. Drained by Conecuh r.
and its branches, and Yellow Water and Pea rivers. The soil is
of an inferior quality. Capital, Montezuma. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 17,532, sheep 695, swine 8,573; Ind. corn 47,946
bush, produced, potatoes 9,531, rice 1,770 pounds, cotton
30,305; 2 stores, cap. $11,200; 10 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $14,860. 4 sch. 59 scholars. Pop. 1830, 1,522; 1840,
whites 2,055, slaves 371, free col'd 9; total, 2,435.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!