Covington County, MS to Croghan, OH
Covington, County, Miss. Situated in the s.
part of the state, and contains 960 sq. ms. Drained by branches
of Leaf r., a tributary of the Pascagoula r. The soil for the
most part is rather sterile, and covered with light and open
pine woods. There are some portions of good land. Capital,
Williamsburg. There were in 1840, neat cattle 10,102, sheep
1,335, swine 11,765; wheat 2,278 bush, produced, Ind. corn
94,977, oats 3,490, potatoes 20,638, rice 11,755 pounds, cotton
504,266; 7 stores, $22,200; 2 tanneries, 8 grist m., 3 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $22,450. 1 acad. 30 students, 3 sch. 76
scholars. Pop. 1830, 2,551; 1840, whites 1,861, slaves 855, free
col'd 1; total, 2,717.
Covington, p-t., Wyoming co., N. Y., 241 w. by n. Albany, 359 W.
The t. was divided on the erection of Wyoming co., in 1841, and
the N. half still belongs to Genesee co. by the name of
Pavilion. The surface is uneven, and the soil a productive clay
loam. The v. contains 1 church, 1 store, and 15 or 20 dwellings.
There are in the t., 2 stores, cap. $8,000; 1 fulling m., 2
tanneries, 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,500. 17
sch. 604 scholars. Pop. 2,438.
Covington, p-b., Covington t., Tioga co., Pa., 133 n.
Harrisburg, 218 W. Situated on a branch of Tioga cr.
Incorporated in 1831. It has 30 or 40 dwellings. It has 3
stores, cap. $16,500; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $14,850. 1 sch. 45 scholars. Pop. 940.
Covington, t., Luzerne co., Pa. Drained by the Lehigh r., which
runs on its s. e. and s. boundary. It contains the v. of
Stoddartsville at the great falls of the Lehigh. It has
extensive water power, and contains 1 store, cap. $4,000; 1
flouring m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,450. Pop. 596.
Covington, p-v., capital of Alleghany co., Va., 196 w. Richmond,
233 W. Situated on Jackson's r., near the junction of Potts cr.,
where the western navigation of James r. and its branches
terminates. It has a court house, jail, and other county
buildings, 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, and 1
Methodist, an academy, about 60 dwellings, many of them of brick
and handsome, 3 stores, and a number of mechanic shops, and
about 310 inhabitants. Its situation among the mountains is
beautiful and romantic.
Covington, p-v., Richmond co., N. C., 123 s. w. Raleigh, 397 W.
Covington, p-v., capital of Newton co., Ga., 61 n. w.
Milledgeville, 649 W. Situated 3½ e. of Yellow r., a branch of
the Ockmulgee r. It has a court house, jail, 3 churches, and an
academy. Two ms. n. of this place is Emery College, under the
direction of the Methodists. It was founded in 1837, has a
president and 4 professors, or other instructors, and 35
Covington, p-v., capital of St. Tammany par., La., 45 n. New
Orleans, 1,127 W. Situated on a email r. which flows into Lake
Pontchartrain. It contains a court house, and several dwellings.
Covington, p-v., Tipton co., Tenn., 185 w. s. w. Nashville, 868
W. Situated on a branch of Big Hatchy r.
Covington, city, p-v., Kenton co., Ky., 85 s. e. Frankfort, 493
W. Situated on the Ohio r., at the mouth of Licking cr., on its
w. side, directly opposite to Cincinnati, of which, from the
arrangement of the streets, it appears like a continuation.
Newport lies on the opposite side of the Licking. Covington
contains 6 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, 1
Universalist, 1 Roman Catholic, and 1 Christian or Campbellite,
4 academies or high-schools, 18 stores, and 800 dwellings. It
has a branch of the Northern Bank of Kentucky, 9 tobacco
manufactories, the largest mill for rolling iron in the West, 1
cotton fac, 2 fulling m., 1 bagging and rope fac, 2 slaughter
houses which pack 60,000 hogs annually. The Western Baptist
Theological Institute is located here. Pop. 2,026.
Covington, p-v., Newbury t, Miami co., O., 77 w. Columbus, 469
W. It is situated on the E. bank of Stillwater r., opposite the
entrance of Greenville cr. It is elevated 60 feet above the r.,
and contains 5 stores, various mechanic shops, and about 60
dwellings. Pop. 331.
Covington, p-v., capital of Fountain co., Ia., 74 w. n. w.
Indianapolis, 645 W. Situated on the e. bank of Wabash r. It
contains a court house and several stores and dwellings.
Cowansville, p-v., Rowan co., N. C, 134 w. Raleigh, 371 W.
Cowan, t., Wayne co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 17 scholars. Pop. 432.
Cow Creek, p-o., Saline co., Mo., 72 n. w. Jefferson city, 997
Cowingshannock, p-o., Armstrong co., Pa., 187 w. n. w.
Harrisburg, 235 W.
Cowlesville, p-o., Bennington t., Wyoming co., N. Y., 268 w.
Albany, 374 W.
Cowpasture, r., Va., a branch of James r. from the n.
Cowper Hill, p-o., Robeson co., N. C, 113 s. s. w. Raleigh, 405
Cowpens, p-o., Spartanburg dist., S. C., 117 n. w. Columbia, 458
W. Situated between Pacolet and Broad rivers. In this vicinity
the Americans, under Gen. Morgan, defeated the British, under
Col. Tarleton. Jan. 11th, 1781, in which the American loss in
killed, wounded, and prisoners, was 72, and the British, 800.
Coweta, County, Ga. Situated in the w. part of
the state, and contains 532 sq. ms. Chattahoochee r. runs on its
n. w. boundary, and Flint r. on its e. border. Drained by New r.
and White Oak and Cedar creeks. Capital, Newnan. There were in
1840, neat cattle 11,150, sheep 5,592, swine 2,396; wheat 55,147
bush, produced, rye 630, Ind. corn 371,753, barley 106, oats
24,735, potatoes 9,117, tobacco 5,275 pounds, cotton 4,556,905;
14 stores, cap. 72,0u0; 6 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 17 grist
m., 8 saw m., 1 print-ing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in
manufac. $8,610. 6 acad. 237 students, 8 sch. 204 scholars. Pop.
1830, 5,003; 1840, whites 7,263, slaves 3,078, free col'd 23;
Coxsackie, p-t., Greene co., N. Y., 22 s. Albany, 12 n.
Catskill, 347 W. The surface is level on the e., but hilly and
broken on the w.; soil, clay, and sandy loam. The Hudson runs on
its e. border. Drained by a few small streams, flowing into the
Hudson. The v. is 1 m. w. of the landing on Hudson r., and
contains 1 Dutch Reformed church, 15 stores, 1 tannery, 80
dwellings, and about 500 inhabitants. There are in the t., 3
com. houses, cap. $53,000; 31 stores, cap. $97,600; 2 fulling
m., 1 tannery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly paper, 6 grist m., 6
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $78,260. 1 acad. 54 students, 12 sch.
394 scholars. Pop. 3,530.
Cox's Creek, p-o., Knox co., Tenn., 175 e. Nashville, 520 W.
Cox's Store, p-o., Sampson co., N. C, 114 s. s. e. Raleigh, 344
Crab Bottom, p-o.. Pendleton co., Va., 173 n. w. Richmond, 139
Crab Orchard, p-v., Lincoln co., Ky., 62 s. s. e. Frankfort, 575
W. It contains 1 church, an academy, and about 303 inhabitants.
Crab Run, p-o., Pendleton co., Va., 151 n. w. Richmond, 178 W.
It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m., and some mechanics.
Cracker's Neck, p-o., Greene co., Ga.
Crafton, p-v., Pittsylvania co., Va., 167 s. w. by w. Richmond,
242 W. It contains 7 dwellings, and several mechanic shops.
Craftsbury, p-t., Orleans co., Vt., 33 n. by e. Montpelier, 549
W. Watered by Black r., which flows n. into Lake Memphremagog,
and by a branch of the Lamoille r., which flows into Lake
Champlain. The v. is on elevated ground, commanding a fine
prospect, lies round a public green 80 by 24 rods, and is a
place of considerable business. It has 3 stores, cap. $12,000; 1
tannery, 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,150. 1 acad.
65 students, 10 sch. 356 scholars. Pop. 1,151.
Craig's Meadows, p-o., Monroe co., Pa., 134 n. e. by e.
Harrisburg, 228 W.
Craig, t, Switzerland co., Ia. It has 1 sch. 35 scholars. Pop.
Craigsville, p-o., Blooming Grove t., Orange co., N. Y., 99 w.
by s. Albany, 280 W. It contains 1 store, 1 paper m., 1 grist
m., 1 plaster m., 1 saw m., and 12 or 15 dwellings.
Grain's Corners, p-o., Warren t., Herkimer co., N. Y., 69 w. n.
w. Albany, 380 W.
Crain's Creek, p-o., Moore co., N. C, 76 s. w. Raleigh, 364 W.
Crainsville, p-o., Hardeman co., Tenn., 165 8. w. by w.
Nashville, 165 W.
Cranberry, p-v., Middlesex co., N. J., 22 n. e. Trenton, 188 W.
It lies partly in South Brunswick t., and partly in South Amboy
t. The surface is level, and the soil light and sandy. It has a
Presbyterian church, an academy, 2 stores, a grist m., 2
tanneries, about 80 dwellings, and 500 inhabitants. Cranberry
brook, a tributary of Millstone r., flows through the place.
Cranberry, t., Butler co., Pa., 11 s. w. Butler. The surface is
rolling; soil, loam and clay. Watered by Glade run, and
Breakneck and Brush creeks. It has 2 stores, cap. $2,000; 5
grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $12,021. 9 sch. 336
scholars. Pop. 1,822.
Cranberry, t., Crawford co., O. It has 6 sch. 285 scholars. Pop.
Cranberry, p-t., Venango co., Pa., 207 w. n. w. Harrisburg, 287
W. Alleghany r. runs on the n. and w. border. It has 1 store,
cap. $5,000; 4 furnaces, 4 grist m., 3 saw m., 4 sch. 105
scholars. Pop. 942.
Cranberry Creek, p-o., Mayfield t., Fulton co., N. Y.
Crandell's Ferry, p-o., Whitesides co., Ill., 170 n.
Springfield, 865 W.
Crane Creek, p-o., Greene co., Mo., 185 s. s. w. Jefferson city,
Cranesville, p-o., Amsterdam t., Montgomery co., N. Y., 29 w. n.
w. Albany, 397 W.
Cranesville, p-o., Paulding co., O., 166 n. w. Columbus, 518 W.
Cranesville, p-v., Daviess co., Mo. It has in the t., 1 sch. 18
scholars. Pop. 1,269.
Cranston, t, Providence co., R. I., 5 s. w. Providence. The soil
is productive in fruits and vegetables for the Providence
market, but much of the surface is uneven and rough. Watered by
Pawtuxet and Powchasset rivers, which afford water power. It has
11 stores, cap. $8,800; 1 furnace, 1 fulling m., 4 cotton fac.
3,176 sp., 2 dyeing and print, estab., 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 2
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $275,705. 10 acad. 424 students, 3 sch.
5 1 scholars. Pop. 2,962.
Craven, County, N. C. Situated in the s. e.
part of the state, and contains 1,100 sq. ms. Neuse r. passes
through the co., and enters into a wide bay, which connects with
Pamlico sound. The surface is level, and often marshy and the
soil is generally fertile. Capital, New Berne. There were in
1840, neat cattle 6,553, sheep 5,683, swine 19,222; wheat 3,639
bush, produced, rye 999, Ind. corn 143,835, oats 3,853, potatoes
51,864, rice 18,493 pounds, cotton 66,833; 130,027 barrels of
tar, pitch and turpentine; 69 stores, cap. $330,460; 2
tanneries, 2 flouring m., 20 grist m., 11 saw m., 1 printing
office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $166,960. 4 acad.
151 students, 8 sch. 252 scholars. Pop. 1830. 14,325; 1840,
whites 6,624, slaves 5,702, free col'd 1,112; total, 13,433.
Cravenville, p-o., Craven co., N. C, 136 s. e. by e. Raleigh,
364 W. Situated a little w. of the Neuse r.
Crawford, County, Pa. Situated in the n. w.
part of the state, and contains 1,016 sq. ms. Watered by French
cr. and its branches, and by Shenango cr. Iron ore is found. Oil
cr. affords bituminous oil. It exports cattle and horses.
Capital, Meadville. There were in 1340, neat cattle 30,052,
sheep 43,392, swine 30,663; wheat 125,592 bush, produced, rye
40,455, Ind. com 173,400, buckwheat 52,518, barley 825, oats
224,897, potatoes 343,252, sugar 214,417 pounds; 62 stores, cap.
$196,200; 2 furnaces, 11 fulling m., 14 tanneries, 14
distilleries, 1 brewery, 2 potteries, 3 flouring m., 39 grist
m., 129 saw m., 2 oil m., 2 paper fac, 2 printing offices, 2
weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $271,855. 1 college, 143
students, 42 sch. 1,037 scholars. Pop. 1830, 16,067; 1840,
Crawford, County, Ga. Situated w. of the centre
of the state, and contains 360 sq. ms. Flint r. runs on its s.
w. border, and a branch of Ockmulgee r. waters its n. e. part.
The soil is sandy, and much of it poor. Capital, Knoxville.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,021, sheep 3,200, swine
20,953; wheat 19,700 bush, produced, rye 819, Ind. corn
1,494,460, oats 16,323, potatoes 2,665, cotton 4,050,531 pounds;
12 stores, cap. $102,800; 11 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$18,700. 9 sch. 279 scholars. Pop. 1330, 5,313; 1840, whites
4,412, slaves 3,568, free col'd 1; total, 7,981.
Crawford, County, O. Situated toward the n.
part of the state, and contains 590 sq. ms. Drained by Sandusky
r. and its tributaries. The surface is an elevated table land.
Organized in 1326, but constituted in 1820. Capital, Bucyrus.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 14,761, sheep 14,331, swine
31,725; wheat 199,270 bush, produced, rye 15,057, Ind. corn
227,240, buckwheat 7,554, barley 1,541, oats 153,711, potatoes
50,290, sugar 46,917 pounds; 12 stores, cap. $14,270; 7
tanneries, 2 distilleries, 1 brewery, 2 flouring m., 15 grist
m., 30 saw m., 1 oil m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $9,725. 97 sch. 5,310 scholars.
Pop. 1830, 4,773; 1840, 13,152.
Crawford, County, Ia. Situated in the s. part
of the state, and has Ohio r. on its s. e. border. It contains
432 sq. ms. The surface is hilly and broken. Blue r. runs on its
e. border. Organized in 1818. Capital, Fredonia. There were in
1340, neat cattle 3,679, sheep 4,588, swine 8,022; wheat 22,201
bush, produced, Ind. corn 94,396, oats 41,362, potatoes 4,831,
tobacco 21,100 pounds; 14 stores, cap. $77,200; 2 woolen fac. 3
tanneries, 1 distillery. 1 flouring m . 5 grist, 7 saw m.. 1
printing office. 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $'7,000. 8
sch. 310 scholars. Pop. 5,282
Crawford, County, Ill. Situated toward the s.
e. part of the state, and contains 426 sq. ms. The Wabash r.
runs on its e. border, and Embarrass r. passes through its s. w.
part. Drained by tributaries of these rivers. It has some rich
prairies. Capital, Palestine. There were in 1840, neat cattle
5,757, sheep 3,837, swine 13,924 ; wheat 15,932 bush, produced,
Ind. corn 301,582, oats 36,260, potatoes 5,514, tobacco 4,315
pounds, sugar 5,797; 18 stores, cap. $55,650 ; 4 tanneries, 6
grist m., 3 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $21,480. 9 sch.
253 scholars. Pop. 4,422.
Crawford, County. Wis. Situated in the n. w.
part of the territory. It has the Mississippi r. w., and the
Wisconsin r. s. The surface is hilly and mountainous, with rich
bottoms along the streams. It abounds with excellent pine
limber, and has abundant water power for mills. Capital, Prairie
du Chien. There were in 1840, neat cattle 808, swine 666 ; wheat
2,092 bush, produced, Ind. corn 5,258, oats 9,299, potatoes
7,522 ; value of skins and furs, $27,800 ; 5 stores, cap.
$38,000 ; 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $55,000. 2 sch.
42 scholars. Pop. 1,.502.
Crawford, County. Mo. Situated s. e. of the
centre of the state. It contains 1,650 sq. ms. The surface and
soil are various. Drained by Maramec r. and its tributaries.
Iron ore abounds and is wrought. The Maramec Iron Works are
supplied with water by a large spring, which discharges 30,000
cubic feet of water per minute. Capital, Steelville. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 5,464, sheep 3,851, swine 12,471 ; wheat
14,233 bush, produced, Ind. corn 180,555, oats 16,665, potatoes
5,134, tobacco 10,386 pounds, cotton 1,122, sugar 4,954; 11
stores, cap. $20,500 ; 1 tannery, 2 distilleries, 7 grist m., 3
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,925. 7 sch. 116 scholars. Pop. 1830,
1,712 ; 1840, whites 3,377, slaves 184 ; total, 3,561.
Crawford, County, Ark. Situated in the n. w.
part of the state. It contains 7,800 sq. ms. Watered by Arkansas
r., which passes through the middle of it from w. to e. The
surface is various, consisting of mountains and prairies, and
wood is found near the streams. Capital, Van Buren. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 5,860, sheep 1,783, swine 12,491 ; wheat
1,513 bush, produced, Ind. corn 209,549, oats 6,366, potatoes
9,138, cotton 12,825 pounds ; 5 commercial and 2 com. houses,
cap. $76,000 ; 1 lumberyard, cap. $600 ; 36 stores, cap.
$289,200 ; 1 tannery. Cap. in manufac. $2,300. 3 sch. 61
scholars. Pop. 1330, 2,440; 1840, whites 3,614 slaves 618, free
col'd 34 ; total, 4,266.
Crawford, p-t.. Orange co., N. Y., 92 s. by w. Albany, 294 W.
The surface is hilly; soil, clay and sandy loam. Shawangunk r.
bounds It on the N. w. It has 7 stores, cap. $11,300 ; 1 fulling
m., 2 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 5 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $24,010. 10 sch. 546 scholars. Pop. 2,075.
Crawford, t., Washington co., Me. It has 3 sch. 90 scholars.
Crawford, t., Coshocton co., O. It has 3 stores, cap. $2,500; 1
grist m., 1 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $150. Pop. 1,134.
Crawford, p-o., Crawford co., O., 84 n. Columbus, 434 W. Pop.
Crawford, t., Buchanan co., Mo. It has 2 sch. 53 scholars. Pop.
Crawford, p-v., Estill co., Ky., 98 s. e. Frankfort, 553 W.
Situated on the n. bank of the n. Fork of Kentucky r., and
contains 10 inhabitants.
Crawford, p-o., Decatur co., Ga.
Crawford's Mills, p-o., Westmoreland co., Pa., 193 w.
Harrisburg, 219 W.
Crawfordsville, p-v., capital of Talliaferro co., Ga., 62 n. by
e. Milledgeville, 604 W. Situated between Ogeechee and Little
rivers. It contains a court house, jail, 2 churches, 1 Baptist
and 1 Methodist, and an academy.
Crawfordsville, p-v., capital of .Montgomery CO., la., 45 N. w.
by w. Indianapolis, 616 VV. Situated on the s. side of Sugar cr.
It contains a court house, a U. S. land office, several stores
and dwellings. A macadamized road from . Indianapolis to
Lafayette passes through this place, and another from New Albany
on the Ohio, terminates here. It is the seat of Wabash college,
founded in 1833, which has a president and 4 professors, or
other instructors, 100 students, and 2,000 vols, in its
libraries. The commencement is on the 2d Wednesday in July.
There are in the t., 2 acad. 243 students, 4 sch. 127 scholars.
Craytonville, p-v., Anderson dist., S. C, 114 w. n. w. Columbia,
Creagerstown . p-v., Frederick co., Md., 88 n. w. Annapolis, 56
Creed's Bridge, p-o.. Princess Anne co., Va., 136 s. e. by e.
Richmond, 261 W.
Creek, t., Washington co., Pa. It has 4 stores, cap. $8,000; 3
tanneries, 1 flouring m., 6 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$25,050. 12 sch. 566 scholars. Pop. 2,006.
Creelsburg , p-v., Russell co., Ky., 109 s. Frankfort, 623 W.
Situated on the n. side of Cumberland r.
Crete, p-o., Will co., Ill., 187 n. e. Springfield, 720 W.
Creighton's Store, p-o., Brunswick co., Va., 91 w. by s.
Richmond, 207 W.
Criglersville, p-o., Madison co., Va., 106 n. w. Richmond, 101
Cripple Creek, p-o., Greenville dist., S. C., 93 n. w. by w.
Columbia, 579 W.
Crittenden, County, Ky., taken from Livingston
co., in 1842. Situated in the w. part of the state, and contains
540 sq. ms. Drained by small branches of Ohio and Cumberland
rivers. The surface is level; soil, fertile. Capital, Salem.
Crittenden, County, Ark., situated toward the
n. e. part of the state, and contains 2,100 sq. miles. The
Mississippi runs on its e. border. The surface is level, and
liable, to a considerable extent, to be overflowed. The soil is
highly productive, where it is sufficiently elevated for
cultivation. Capital, Marion. There were in 1840, neat cattle
3,774, sheep 76, swine 4,529 ; Indian corn 69,669 bushels
produced, cotton 2,320 pounds; mercantile cap. $17,294 ; 6 grist
m. Pop. 1830. 1,272 ; 1840, whites 196, slaves 454, free col'd
11 ; total, 1,561.
Crittenden, p-v., Grant co., Ky., 60 n. n. e. Frankfort, 518 W.
Crittenden, v., Clarke co.. Ark., 82 s. w. Little Rock.
Crockett's, p-o., Davidson co., Tenn., 15 e. Nashville, 699 W.
Crockettsville, p-v., capital of Russell co.. Ala., 182 e. s. e.
Tuscaloosa, 769 W. It has a court house and a few dwellings.
Croghan, t., Lewis co., N. Y., 141 n. w. Albany. The surface is
hilly and mountainous: soil, various, but fertile in the
Croghan, p-o., Putnam co., O., 110 n. w. Columbus, 475 W.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!