Dabneys Mills, VA to Dardanelle, AR
Dabney's Mills, p-o., Louisa co., Va., 56 n. w. Richmond, 81 W.
Situated on North Anna r. It has 1 saw m., 1 tannery, and
Dacheet, r., rises in Ark., and flowing into La., enters Lake
Dacusville, p-v., Pickens dist., S. C, 129 w. n. w. Columbia,
Dade, County, Ga. Situated in the n. w. corner
of the state, and contains 225 sq. ms. Drained by Lookout cr., a
branch of Tennessee r. The surface is mountainous, with fertile
valleys. Capital, Trenton. There were in 1840, neat cattle
1,545, sheep 1,043, swine 5,373; wheat 3,940 bush, produced,
Ind. corn 77,810, oats 7,517, potatoes 2,701, tobacco 1,331
pounds, cot-ton 32,904; 8 stores, cap. $9,550; 3 tanneries, 4
distilleries, 4 grist m., 2 saw m. Pop. whites 1,235, slaves 79:
Dade, County, Flor. Situated on the e. side of
the Peninsula, on the Gulf of Florida. It contains about 500 sq.
ms. It has several keys or islands on the coast. Along the sea
coast, the land is capable of cultivation, and is fertile. In
the n. part is the Everglades, a tract of grass meadow, covered
from 1 to 6 feet deep with water, sprinkled all over with islets
of rich land and cypress swamps. These islands were favorite
places of resort for the Seminoles during the late war. One of
them was found to contain 150 cabins, cultivated fields, and 700
head of cattle. It has some tracts of fertile land. Capital, Key
Bisrayune. There were in 1840, 2 stores, cap. $15,000. Cap. in
manufac. $4,300. 1 sch. 28 scholars. Pop. whites 412, slaves 30,
free col'd 4; total, 446
Dade, County, Mo. Situated in the s. w. part of
the state, and contains 960 sq. ms. Drained by Pomme de Terre r.
and branches. Surface undulating, soil fertile. Capital,
Dadeville, p-v., capital of Tallapoosa co., Ala., 140 e. s. e.
Tuscaloosa, 793 W. Situated on a small eminence, 6 e. Tallapoosa
r., 37 n. e. Wetumpka. It contains a court house, and other
Daggett's Mills, p-o., Tioga co., Pa., 157 n. Harrisburg, 267 W.
Dagsborough, p-v., and hundred, Sussex co., Del., 54 s. s. e.
Dover, 141 W. It is situated on Pepper cr., which flows into
Rehoboth bay. There are in the hundred, 12 stores, cap. $18,410;
3 grist m.. 13 saw m. Cap. in manufac $5,500. 9 sch. 233
scholars. Pop. 2,324
Dahlonega, p-v., capital of Lumpkin co., Ga., 140 n. n. w.
Milledgeville, 620 W. Situated between Chestatee and Etowah
rivers, and is the seat of a branch of the United States Mint.
It has a court house, and several stores and dwellings.
Dailey's Cross Roads, p-o., Lowndes co., Miss.. 131 n. e.
Jackson. 905 W.
Dale, County, Ala. Situated in the s. e. part
of the state, and contains 1,064 sq. ms. Drained by the branches
of Choctawhatchee r. The surface is generally level, with a
barren soil covered with pine, excepting the river swamp and
hammocks, which are very productive. Capital, Daleville. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 15,484, sheep 656, swine 12,070; wheat
1,865, bush, produced, Ind. corn 96,224, potatoes 11,777, rice
3,015 pounds, cotton 231,929, sugar 2,313; 6 stores, cap.
$6,700; 18 grist m., 5 saw m.,5 sch. 71 scholars. Pop. whites
6,809, slaves 580, free col'd 8; total, 7,397.
Dale, p-o., Berks co., Pa., 75 e. Harrisburg, 168 W.
Dale, C. H., called Daleville, p-v., capital of Dale co., Ala.,
222 s. e. Tuscaloosa, 871 W. Situated on the w. side of a branch
of Choctawhatchee r. It contains a court house, and several
Daleville, p-o., Luzerne co., Pa., 147 n. e. Harrisburg, 244 W.
Daleville, p-v., Lauderdale co., Miss., 104 E. Jackson, 918 W.
Dallas, County, Ala. Situated near the centre
of the state, and contains 925 sq. ms. The Alabama river passes
through it, and receives the Cahaba r. from the n., at the
centre of the county. Surface undulating, soil on the margins
very fertile. Capital, Cahaba. There were in 1840, neat cattle
10,379, sheep 4,431, swine 30,886; wheat 12,338 bush, produced,
rye 2,004, Ind. corn 436,120, oats 34,494, potatoes 31,803, rice
10,750 pounds, cotton 2,223,332; 6 stores, cap. $350,000; 1
tannery, 18 grist m., 14 saw m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $20,240. 7 acad. 189 students, 10
sch. 195 scholars. Pop. 1830, 14,017; 1840, whites 7,922, slaves
17,208, free col'd 69; total, 25,199.
Dallas, p-t., Luzerne co., Pa., 133 n. e. Harrisburg, 242 W. The
surface is uneven and mountainous: soil, gravel, loam, and
slate. Harvey's lake, a beautiful sheet of water, lies in this
t., and its outlet and some other streams afford water power. It
has 1 distillery, 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,700. 4 sch. 144
scholars. Pop. 806.
Dalmatia, p-v., Northumberland co., Pa., 40 N. Harrisburg, 150
Dalton, p-t., Coos co., N. H., 96 n. by w. Concord, 557 W.
Connecticut r. runs on its N. w. boundary, and the Fifteen Mile
Falls commence in this town. Watered by St. Johns r.
Incorporated in 1784. The surface is uneven, and the soil
fertile, well adapted to grazing. It has 1 store, cap. $1,500; 1
grist m., 2 saw m.. 6 sch. 190 scholars. Pop. 664.
Dalton, p-t., Berkshire co., Mass., 125 w. Boston, 332 W.
Watered by branches of Housatonic r., which afford water power.
The surface generally level, and the soil fertile. It has 4
woolen fac, 1 tannery, 2 paper fac, 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $193,700. 6 sch. 218 scholars. Pop. 1,255.
Dalton, p-o., Sugar Creek t., Wayne co., O., 106 n. e. Columbus,
Dalton, p-v., Wayne co., Ia., 80 e. Indianapolis, 527 W.
Damariscotta Mills, p-v., Lincoln co., Me., 30 s. e: Augusta,
593 W. Situated at the outlet of Damariscotta pond, between New
Castle and Nobleboro. Here are a number of mills, a village, and
a small Roman Catholic church.
Damariscotta, r., Me., may be regarded as an arm of the sea. It
receives the outlet of Damariscotta pond, and is navigable for
large vessels, 16 miles to the bridge, between New Castle and
Nobleboro. Many vessels arc built! on this river, and much
lumber is exported from it.
Damascoville, p-v., Columbiana county, O., 174 n. e. by e.
Columbus, 295 W. The village called Damascus is in Goshen and
Butler ts. it has 3 or 4 stores, and from 25 to 30 dwellings. It
is in the midst of a fertile country.
Damascus, p-t., Wayne co., Pa., 190 n. n. e. Harrisburg, 293 W.
Situated on the w. bank of Delaware r. The village has 1 Baptist
church. 1 store, and 12 or 15 dwellings. A bridge 550 feet long
here crosses the Delaware r. There are in the t., 2 stores, cap.
$5,000; 9 sch. 229 scholars. Pop. 957.
Damascus, p-v., 3Iontgomery county, Md., 70 N. w. Annapolis, 40
Damascus, p-v., Henry co., O., 147 n. w. Columbus, 478 W. The v.
is situated on the n. side of Maumee r. It has 1 store, cap.
$1,000; 3 sch. 90 scholars. Pop. 495.
Damascus, p-v., Spartanburg dist., S. C, 107 n. w. Columbia, 568
Dan, r., N. C. and Va., runs mostly in the latter, and uniting
with Stanton r. forms the Roanoke r. It has falls of 23 feet at
Danville; but, by a canal around them, is navigable 100 miles
from its mouth.
Dan a, p-t.. Worcester co., Mass., 69 w. Boston, 397 W. Watered
by a branch of Swift r. Incorporated in 1781. Palm leaf hats are
here manufactured extensively. It has 2 stores, cap. $10,000; 1
tannery, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $35,500. 7 sch.
200 scholars. Pop. 691.
Danborough, p-v., Plumstead t., Bucks co., Pa., 103 e.
Harrisburg, 165 W. It contains a store, and 12 or 15 dwellings.
Danburg, p-v., Wilkes co., Ga., 88 n. n. e. Milledgeville, 560
Danbury, t., Ottawa co., O. It has 2 schools, 65 scholars. Pop.
Danbury, p-t., Grafton co., N. H.. 23 n. w. Concord, 503 W
Watered by Smith's r. The surface is uneven, but there are
intervals on the streams. Incorporated in 1795, though settled
over 20 years before. It has 1 store, cap. $2,500; 1 tannery, 6
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,800. 10 schools, 233 scholars. Pop.
Danbury, p-t., semi-capital of Fairfield, co., Ct., 68 s. w.
Hartford, 292 W. The surface is agreeably diversified, and the
soil is fertile. The borough is a pleasant village, built
chiefly on one 6treet, more than a mile in length. It contains a
court house, 2 churches, and over 100 houses. This place is
particularly distinguished for the manufacture of hats, which
are sent chiefly to the southern states. Still river, a branch
of the Housatonie, passes through the town, and affords water
power. Incorporated in 1696. It was burned by the British in the
revolutionary war, April 26th, 1777, with a large amount of
military stores. In the battle which occurred, the American
General Wooster was killed. It has 13 stores, cap $34,100; 1
tannery, 5 grist m., 3 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly
newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $192,203. 1 acad. 70 students, 20
sch. 742 scholars. Pop. 4,504.
Danby, p-t., Rutland county, Vt., 80 s. by w. Montpelier, 443 W.
The surface is mountainous, but the soil is fertile, and
particularly adapted to grazing; and it has extensive dairies.
First settled in 1763. Drained by the head waters of Otter
creek. It has 4 stores, cap. $8,800; 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 6
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $12,810. 12 sch. 505 scholars. Pop.
Danby, p-t., Tompkins co., N. Y., 163 w. s. w. Albany, 239 W.
The surface is hilly, and the soil a gravelly loam. Drained by
Cattotong cr. and its tributaries. The v. contains one
Presbyterian and 1 Methodist church, 3 stores, 90 dwellings, and
about 500 inhabitants. There are in the t., 3 stores, cap.
$11,3J0; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 27 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$2l,439. 20 sch. 856 scholars. Pop. 2,570.
Danby Four Corners, p-o., Danby t., Rut-land co., Vt., 82 s. by
w. Montpelier, 437 W.
Dancyville, p-o., Haywood co., Tenn., 183 w. s. w. Nashville,
Dandridge, p-v.. capital of Jefferson county, Tenn., 229 e.
Nashville, 482 W. Situated on the n. bank of French Broad r. It
contains a court house, jail, and several stores and dwellings.
Dane, County, Wis. Territory, central in the s.
part of the ter., and contains 1.234 sq. ms. The sur-face is
level, and the soil very fertile. The Four Lakes are beautiful
sheets of water, near the centre of the county, and abound with
excellent fish. The river of the Four Lakes forms their outlet,
and drains the county. Capital, Madison. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 510, sheen 5, swine 618; wheat 299 bushels produced,
Indian corn 3,030, oats 10,259, potatoes 8,450; 3 stores, cap.
$9,000; 2 smelting houses, producing 200,000 pounds of lead, and
employing 6 persons and a capital of $2,000; 1 saw m., 2
printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $9,750.
Daniel's Prairie, p-o., Greene co., Ala., 43 s. w. Tuscaloosa,
Danielsville, p-v., capital of Madison co., Ga., 91 n.
Milledgeville, 599 W. It contains a court house, jail, an
academy, and 15 houses and stores.
Danielsville, p-v., Spottsylvania co., Va., 85 n. w. Richmond,
84 W. Situated in the midst of the gold region.
Dansville, t, Steuben co., N. Y., 233 w. by s. Albany. Surface,
undulating; soil, gravelly loam and clay. Drained by tributaries
of Canisteo r. and Canaseraga cr. It has 3 stores, cap. $10,500;
2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 10 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$13,970. 24 sch. 853 scholars. Pop. 2,725.
Dansville, p-v., Sparta t., Livingston co., N. Y., 233 w.
Albany, 39 W. Situated on Canaseraga cr., which has a succession
of falls of about 60 feet in one mile and a half. It contains 4
churches, 2 Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, and 1 German Lutheran, a
bank, 25 stores, 4 paper m., 2 flouring m., 2 furnaces, 1
tannery, 250 dwellings, and about 1,600 inhabitants. The
Dansville branch of the Genesee Valley canal extends from this
Danube, p-t., Herkimer co., N. Y., 70 w. n. w. Albany, 393 W.
The surface is undulating; soil, a fertile, sandy, and
calcareous loam. Drained by Nowadaga cr., a branch of the
Mohawk, which last bounds the town on the n. It has 7 i stores,
cap. $17,700; 1 lumber yard, cap. $10,000; 1 fulling m., 1
woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$18,910. 8 sch. 830 , scholars. Pop. 1,960.
Danvers, p-t., Essex co., Mass., 16 s. Boston, 2 N. W. Salem,
456 W. The soil is fertile, and well cultivated. The principal
v. is a continuation of the streets of Salem, of which it is
virtually a suburb. It contains 3 churches, 1 Congregational, 1
Unitarian, and 1 Universalist, and a little to the w. is another
Congregational church. There is another v. further n., on
Beverly river, which contains a Congregational and a Baptist
church. At this village, ship building is a considerable
business. Both these villages can be approached by vessels, and
have considerable manufactures, and some trade. It has 15
stores, cap. $57,600; 21 tanneries, 4 potteries, 1 grist m., 1
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $362,800, principally in leather. 13
sch. 1,257 scholars. Pop. 5,020.
Danville, p-t., Cumberland co., Me., 42 s. w. Augusta, 372 W.
The Androscoggin r. runs on its n. e. border, and it is drained
by one of its tributaries. It is a good farming t., and has 3
stores, cap. $1,100; 1 woolen fac, 3 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $10,350. 1 acad. 100 students, 9 sch. 450 scholars.
Danville, p-t., Rockingham co., N. H., 30 s. e. Concord, 471 W.
Incorporated in 1760. Achusnut r. passes through the n. w. part
of the t. The surface is uneven, and the soil in some parts
good. It has 3 stores, cap. $1,200: 1 saw m., 3 sch. 178
scholars. Pop. 533.
Danville, p-t., capital of Caledonia co., Vt., 30 n. e.
Montpelier, 543 W. Watered by Merritt's r., and other branches
of Pasumsic r., which afford good water power. Chartered in
1736, and re-chartered in 1792. The e. part is beautifully
diversified and fertile; the w. part is more broken, and less
productive. The v. is pleasantly situated, near the centre of
the t., on elevated land, in the midst of a beautiful farming
country. It has a court house, jail, 1 Congregational and 1
Baptist church, and a printing office, which issues a weekly
newspaper. It is a flourishing v., with considerable trade.
There are in the t. 6 stores, cap. $45,100; 4 fulling m., 2
woolen fac, 3 tanneries, 6 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$63,700. 23 sch. 920 scholars. Pop. 2,633.
Danville, p-o., Warren co., N. J., 67 n. by w. Trenton, 225 W.
Danville, p-v., capital of Columbia co., Pa., 71 n. by e.
Harrisburg, 181 W. It is situated on the n. side of the n.
branch of the Susquehanna r., at the entrance of .Mahoning cr.
It contains 2 churches, 1 Presbyterian and 1 Episcopal, an
academy, a considerable number of stores, and about 1,000
inhabitants. A bridge here crosses the Susquehanna river.
Danville, p v, Pittsylvania co., Va., 164 s. w. by w. Richmond,
251 W. Situated on Dan r., one of the constituents of the
Roanoke. The river here has falls which afford good water power.
The ground on which the village is built rises gradually from
the river until it attains to a commanding eminence, presenting
a delightful view of the place and the surrounding country. This
place has a boatable communication as far as the falls of the
Roanoke, and has become the centre of an extensive trade. It
contains 2 banking houses, a Masonic hall, 2 tobacco warehouses,
a considerable number of stores, 1 iron foundry, a printing
office, issuing a weekly newspaper, nearly 200 dwellings, and
about 1,200 inhabitants. Its manufacturing advantages are but
Danville, p-v.. Union t., Knox co., O., 65 n. e. Columbus. 366
W. It is surrounded by a fine agricultural country, and contains
1 Methodist church, 4 or 5 stores, and 3 or 400 inhabitants.
Danville, p-v., cap. of Boyle co , Ky., 41 s. by w. Frankfort,
555 W. Situated 3 miles s. w. of Dick's r., on a small cr.,
which enters into it. It contains about 200 stores and
dwellings, and the Kentucky Asylum for the Deaf and Dumb. It is
the seat of Centre College. This college was founded in 1822;
has a president and 7 professors, or other instructors, 66
students, and 2,000 vols, in its libraries. The commencement is
on the Thursday after the 3d Wednesday in September. It has 4
churches, 1 Baptist, 1 Episcopal, 1 Methodist, 1 Presbyterian, 2
acad. 100 students, 1 sch. 31 scholars. Pop. 1,223.
Danville, p-v., Sumter co., Ga., 100 s. w. Milledgeville, 757 W.
Situated on the w. bank of Flint r.
Danville, p-v., capital of Hendricks co., Ia., 20 w.
Indianapolis, 591 W. Situated on the w. side of White Lick
creek. It contains a court house, jail, a church, 4 stores, and
about 3J0 inhabitants.
Danville, p-v., capital of Vermillion co., Ill., 130 e. by n.
Springfield, 657 W. Situated on the n. side of Vermillion r.,
near the entrance of the n. fork. It is on a dry, sandy, and
elevated surface, with an open prairie on the s.; but on other
sides surrounded by a heavy growth of timber. It has 3 churches,
1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist, a U. S. land office,
17 stores, a printing office issuing a weekly newspaper, 100
dwellings, 3 schools, and 503 inhabitants. It is surrounded by a
rich and populous country.
Danville, p-v., capital of Montgomery co., Mo., 47 n. e.
Jefferson city, 8J2 W. It contains a court house, and several
stores and dwellings. There are in the t., 1 acad. 23 students,
1 sch. 20 scholars. Pop. 1,299.
Darby, p-t., Delaware co., Pa., 95 e. s. e. Harrisburg, 132 W.
The t. is divided into Upper and Lower Darby. The v. is situated
on Darby cr., and has 1 Friends church, 2 stores, 1 grist m., 1
fulling m., and 40 dwellings. There are in the t., 2 stores,
cap. $8,500; 1 cotton fac. 216 sp., 1 tannery, 1 printing
office, 1 weekly newspaper, 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $15,950. 2 sch. 120 scholars. Pop. 1,267.
Darby, t., Pickaway co., Ohio. The soil is adapted to grazing.
Drained by Darby cr., which affords water power. It has 1
tannery, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Pop. 1,050.
Darby, t., Madison co., O. It has 1 store, cap. $1,500; 1
tannery. Cap. in manufac. $300. 5 sch. 110 scholars. Pop. 466.
Darby Creek, a small r. of Ohio, rises in Union co., and, alter
a course of 60 miles, enters the Scioto r., nearly opposite
Darby Creek, p o., Jerome t., Union co., O., 22 n. n. w.
Columbus, 415 W.
Darby Plains, p-o., Union co., O., 26 n. n. w. Columbus, 415 W.
Darby's, p o., Columbia co, Ga., 109 e. n. e. Milledgeville, 538
Darbyville, p-v., Muhlenburg t., Pickaway co.. O., 33 s.
Columbus, 403 W. Founded in 1326. Situated on the w. bank of
Darby cr. It has 3 stores, 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Baptist, and 1 Methodist, 2 tanneries, 40 dwellings, and about
Dardanelle, p-v., Veil co., Ark., 72 n. w. by w. Little Rock,
1,137 W. Situated on the s. w. side of Arkansas river. Near this
are 2 rocky ridges, on both sides of the Arkansas r., called the
Dardanelles. Pop. of the t. 227.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!