Dardenne, MO to Decatur, County, IN
Dardenne, p-v., St. Charles co., Mo., 100 e. by n. Jefferson
city, 846 W. Situated on a r. of the same name, which enters the
Missouri r., 5 miles s. s. w. of St. Charles. The t. has 1 sch.
12 scholars. Pop. 1,605.
Darien, p-t., Fairfield co., Ct., 74 s. w. Hartford, 266 W.
Taken from Stamford in 1820. Bounded s. by Long Island sound.
The surface is undulating, and the soil excellent. The village
is on a small stream, which enters a narrow bay that sets up
from the sound, and contains a Congregational church, and has
some coasting trade to New York. There are in the t., 7 stores,
cap. $17,500; 2 lumber yards, cap. $3,500; 2 tanneries. Cap. in
manufac. $18,450. 3 sch. 177 scholars. Pop. 1,080.
Darien, p-t., Genesee co., N. Y., 263 w. Albany, 377 W. The
surface is hilly; soil, clay and calcareous loam. Drained by
Ellicott's cr. The v. contains 1 church, 3 stores, 25 dwellings,
and about 175 inhabitants. There are in the t., 5 stores, cap.
$16,300; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $21,940. 21 sch. 622 scholars. Pod. 2,406.
Darien, city, p-v., and capital of McIntosh co., Ga., 215 s. e.
Milledgeville, 724 W. Situated on the n. side of the Altamaha
r., 12 miles above the bar, at the entrance of St. Simon's
sound. It contains a court house, a jail, an academy, a
Presbyterian church, a bank, and a printing office. It has an
extensive trade in cotton. The bar has 14 feet of water. The
Oconee branch of the Altamaha has a steamboat navigation to
Milledgeville; and the Ocmulgee branch has a similar navigation
to Macon; so that Darien forms the natural centre of the trade
of the central portions of the state, and it has had a
corresponding rapid growth.
Darien, p-v., Walworth co., Wis. Territory., 59 s. e. Madison,
Darien Centre, p-o., Darien t., Genesee co., N. Y., 265 w. by n.
Albany, 375 W.
Darke, County, O., situated in the w. part of
the state, and contains 714 sq. ms. Drained by Stillwater and
Greenville creeks. The surface is generally level; soil, very
fertile. General Wayne erected Fort Recovery in the n. e. corner
of this county, in 1795, on the spot where Gen. St. Clair
sustained a memorable defeat by the Indians, three years before.
Capital, Greenville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,537,
sheep 9,012, swine 17,029; wheat 31,675 bushels produced, rye
1,435, Ind. com 57,797, buckwheat 544, barley 1,829, oats
90,230, potatoes, 57,325. 12 sch. 283 scholars. Pop. 1830,
6,203; 1840, 13,232.
Dark Corner, p-o., Campbell co., Ga., 114 w. n. w.
Milledgeville, 711 W.
Darkesville, p-v., Berkley co., Va., 162 n. Richmond, 84 W.
Situated on Sulphur Springs creek, a branch of Opequan creek,
that enters into the Potomac.
Darling's, p-o., Butler t, Knox co., O., 73 n. e. Columbus, 365
W. Situated on the s. bank of Vernon r.
Darlingsville, p-o., Pike co., Pa., 174 n. e. by e. Harrisburg,
Darlington, p-b., Little Beaver t., Beaver co., Pa., 239 w. by
n. Harrisburg, 265 W. It contains 1 Presbyterian church, 4
stores, and about 65 dwellings. It was called Greensburg until
1830. It has 1 acad. 18 students, 1 sch. 30 scholars. Pop. 220.
Darlington, p-v., Harford co., Md., 71 n. by E. Annapolis, 81 W.
Situated 2½ ms. w. of the Susquehanna r. It contains 2 churches,
1 Methodist, and 1 Friends, an academy, 5 stores, and a public
Darlington, Dist., S. C. Situated in the
eastern part of the state, and contains 1,050 sq. ms. The
surface is slightly undulating; soil, on the margins of the
streams, very fertile; back from this, sandy and light. Great
Pedee r. bounds it on the n. e., and Lynch' s cr. on the s. w.
Capital, Darlington. There were in 1840, neat cattle 15,433,
sheep 6,082, swine 36,856; wheat 13,309 bush, produced, Ind.
corn 457,193, oats 52,477, potatoes 84,812, rice 8.000 pounds,
cotton 1,231,935; 26 stores, cap. $127,000; 1 cotton fac. 700
sp., 4 tanneries, 47 grist m., 27 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$81,100. 7 acad. 149 students, 16 sch. 305 scholars. Pop. 1830,
13,728; 1840, whites 7,169, slaves 7,560, free col'd 93; total,
Darlington, C. H. p-v., capital of Darlington dist., S. C., 129
e. s. e. Columbia, 453 W. Situated a little w. of Black cr., a
branch of Great. Pedee r. It contains a court house, jail, 3
churches, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, 1 Presbyterian, 2 acad., 9
stores, and 500 inhabitants.
Darlington, p-v., Montgomery co., Ia., 46 w. n. w. Indianapolis,
Darlington, p-o., Lake co., 111.
Darlington, p-v., St. Helena par., La., 120 n. w. by n. New
Orleans, 1,150 W.
Darlington, p-o., Humphreys co., Tenn.
Darnstown, p-v., Montgomery co., Md., 65 w. n. w. Annapolis, 25
Darrstown, p-v., Milford t., Butler co., O., 109 s. w. by w.
Columbus, 498 W. It contains 2 churches, 3 stores, 35 dwellings,
and about 250 inhabitants. There is a chalybeate spring in the
vicinity, which is of some note.
Darrvill's, p-o., Dinwiddie co., Va., 56 s. Richmond, 175 W.
Dartmouth, p-t., Bristol co., Ms., 65 s. Boston, 7 s. w. New
Bedford, 441 W. It has Buzzard's bay on the s. E., and is
penetrated by several in-lets from it, one of which receives
Aponiganset r., which is navigable nearly to the centre of the
t. Incorporated in 1664. It lias a number of vessels employed in
the whale fishery, and in the coast-ing trade. Salt is
manufactured, and vessels are built. It has 12 stores, cap.
$33,500; 1 woolen fac, 3 tanneries, 5 grist m., 8 saw m., 1 oil
m. Cap. in manufac. $27,950. 27 sch. 931 scholars. Pop. 4,135.
Darwin, p-v., Clark co., Ill., 133 s. e. by E. Springfield, 667
W. It is situated on the Wa-bash r., adjoining Walnut prairie,
and contains 20 or 30 families.
Dauphin, County, Pa. Situated toward the s e.
part of the state, and is bounded by the Susquehanna r. on the
w. and s. w. It contains 6)8 sq. ms. Drained by Swatara cr. in
its s. pan, and by Mahantango cr. on the n. Powell's cr. runs
through its central part. The surface is hilly and mountainous,
and the soil, fertile. The Pennsylvania canal and the Union
canal pass through it. Capital, Harrisburg. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 17,429, sheep 15,714, swine 27,817; wheat 277,243
bush, produced, rye 202,771, Ind. corn 307,363, buckwheat
24,039, barley 1,930, oats 398,544, potatoes 125,051, silk
cocoons 322 pounds, tobacco 46,730; 3 commission houses in for.
trade, cap. $23,500; 133 stores, cap. $479,110; 10 lumber yards,
cap. $59,500; 3 furnaces, 3 forges, 9 fulling m., 6 woolen fac.
20 tanneries, 2 rope fac, 17 distilleries, 4 breweries, 4
potteries, 29 flouring m., 35 grist m., 76 saw m., 2 oil m., 12
printing offices, 6 binderies, 1 periodical, 11 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $357,315. 3 acad. 115 students, 76
sch. 3,656 scholars. Pop. 1830, 25,303; 1840, 30,118.
Dauphin, p-v., Middle Paxton t., Dauphin co., Pa., 8 Harrisburg,
118 W. It is situated on the Susquehanna r., and contains 2
stores, and 12 or 15 dwellings.
Davenport p-t., Delaware co., N. Y., 60 s. w. Albany, 14 n.
Delhi, 361 W. The surface is hilly, and the soil an argillaceous
loam. Drained by Charlotte r. and its tributaries. It has 4
stores, cap. $13,600; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 14
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $28,000. 15 sch. 724 scholars. Pop.
Davenport, p-v., capital of Scott co., Iowa, 350 above St.
Louis, by water, 80 above Burlington. This place is pleasantly
situated on the n. side of the Mississippi river.
Davidson, County, N. C. Situated in the central
part of the state, and contains 700 sq. ms. It has the Yadkin r.
on the w. Drained by several small streams flowing into it.
Surface undulating, soil fertile. Capital, Lexington. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 12,163, sheep 14,319, swine 34,083; wheat
114,359 bush, produced, rye 5,691, Ind. corn 465,828, oats
102,703, potatoes 15,059, tobacco 80,502 lbs., cotton 1,368,100;
17 stores, cap. 354,000; 2 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac, 9
tanneries, 218 distilleries, 10 flouring m., 51 grist m., 46 saw
m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. 8115,458. 2 acad. 52 students, 36
sch. 1,100 scholars. Pop. whites 11,937, slaves 2,533, free
col'd 136; total, 14,606.
Davenport Centre, p-o., Davenport t., Delaware co., N. Y., 74 s.
vv. Albany, 357 W.
Davidson, County, Tenn. Situated centrally, a
little north of the centre of the state, and contains 640 sq.
ms. Cumberland r. passes through it from k. to w., curving to
the s. Drained by Harpeth r., Stone's r., White's and Poplar
creeks. Surface undulating; soil, fertile. Capital, Nashville.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 21,760, sheep 2,513, swine
90,336; wheat 104,436 bush, produced, rye 56,505, Ind. corn
1,456,800, oats 228,924, potatoes 57,051, tobacco 334,391
pounds, cotton 194.665; 11 commer. and 8 com. houses, cap.
$235,000; 83 stores, cap. 81,613,700; 4 lumber yards, cap.
83,800; 1 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac, 10 tanneries, 26
distilleries, 5 flouring m., 75 grist m.. 31 saw m., 1 paper
fac, 4 printing offices, 2 binderies, 1 daily. 5 weekly, 3
semi-weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac 341,230. 1 college, 125
students, 3 J acad. 1,353 students, 13 sch. 367 scholars. Pop.
1830, 28,122; 1840, whites 17,457, slaves 12,348, free col'd
704; total, 90,509.
Davidson, p-t., Lycoming co., Pa., 109 n. Harrisburg, 219 W. It
has 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. 81.000. 2 sch. 32 scholars. Pop.
Davidson, p-o , Harrison co., Ia., 115 s. Indianapolis, 626 W.
Davidson College, p-v., Mecklenburg co., N. C, 150 w. by s.
Raleigh, 337 W. Davidson College, located here, was founded in
1833. It has a president, 2 professors, 23 alumni. 49 students,
and 1,150 vols, in its libraries. The commencement is on the
last Thursday in June.
Davidson, t., Randolph co., Ark. Population, 355.
Davidson, t., Lapeer co., Mich. Pop. 69.
Davidson River, p-o., Henderson co., N. C, 239 w. by s. Raleigh,
Davidsonville, p-v., Anne Arundel co., Md., 10 Annapolis, 30 W.
Davidsonville, p-v., Somerset co., Pa., 142 w. Harrisburg, 163
Davie, County, N. C. Situated in the central
part of the state, and contains 175 sq. ms. It has the Yadkin
river on the e., and is drained by its branches. Surface
undulating, soil very fertile. Capital, Mocksville. There were
in l840, neat cattle 5,414, sheep 5,615, swine 13,783; wheat
44,431 bush, produced, rye 8,232. Ind. corn 313,533, oats 5 1,1
45, potatoes 4,256, tobacco 66,771 pounds, cotton 3)7,040; 10
scores, cap 822,000; 1 cotton fac, 5 tanneries, 75 distilleries,
3 flouring m., 23 grist m., 19 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
894,000. 12 sch. 263 scholars. Pop. whites 5,594, slaves 1,833,
free col'd 92; total, 7,574.
Davies, County. Ia. Situated in the s. w. part
of the state, between the e. and w. forks of White r., which
unite on its s. w. border. Watered by the branches of White r.
and small tributary creeks. The n. portion is level, the e. and
s. undulating. Soil, generally fertile, with some fine prairies.
Organized in 18 16, and contains 420 sq. ms. Capital,
Washington. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,773, sheep 6,276,
swine 14,713; wheat 35,286 bush, produced, Ind. corn 202,423,
oats 40,892, potatoes 12,717, tobacco 1,900 pounds; 21 stores,
cap. $53,350; 2 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 7 grist m., 6 saw m.,
2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac
834,720. 1 acad. 43 students, 8 sch. 244 scholars. Pop. 6,720.
Davies, County, Mo. Situated in the n. w. part
of the state, and contains 576 sq. ms. The surface is
undulating, and the soil fertile. Drained by the w. fork of
Grand r., which passes centrally through it. Capital, Gallatin.
There were in 1340, neat cattle 2,451, sheep 2,267, swine 8,879:
wheat 2,644 bush, produced, Indian corn 106,245, oats 8,720,
potatoes 2,901, tobacco 23,603 pounds; 3 stores, cap. $7,352; 1
distillery, 1 grist m., 5 sch. 91 scholars. Pop. whites 2,600,
slaves 134, free col'd 2; total, 2,736.
Davis, t, Lafayette co., Mo. Pop. 673.
Davis, t., Saline co., Ark. Pop. 312.
Davis, t., Fountain co., Ia. Pop. 714.
Davisborough, p-v., Washington co., Ga., 41 s. e. Milledgeville,
645 W. It contains an academy and a few dwellings. It is
situated on the central railroad, and is a depot.
Davis Prairie, p-o., Lewis co., Mo., 136 n. by e. Jefferson
city, 905 W.
Davis's Ferry, p-o., Pickens dist., S. C., 172 w. n. w.
Columbia, 574 W.
Davis's Mills, p-o., Bedford co., Va., 153 w. Richmond, 223 W.
Davis's Mills, Barnwell dist., S. C., 106 s. s. w. Columbia, 611
Davidson's, p-o., Warren co., N. J., 60 n. n. w. Trenton, 208 W.
Davisonville, p-o., Lapeer co., Mich., 59 n. by w. Detroit, 533
Davis's Springs, p-o., Robeson co., N. C, 73 s. s. w. Raleigh,
Davis's Store, p-o., Bedford co., Va., 141 w. by s. Richmond,
Daviston, p v., Clay co., Ia., 74 w. s. w. Indianapolis, 645 W.
Daviston, p-o., Talbot co., Ga.
Davisville, p-v., Bucks co., Pa., Ill e. Harrisburg, 153 W.
Davisville, p-o., Pike co., Ga.
Dawkin's Mills, p o., Jackson co., O., 75 s. s. e. Columbus, 363
Dawson, p-o.. Habersham co., Ga., 133 n. Milledgeville, 601 W.
Dawson's, p-o., Alleghany co., 3Id., 183 w. n. w. Annapolis, 151
Dawson's Stand, p-o., Bledsoe co., Tenn., 117 e. s. e.
Nashville, 576 W.
Dawsonville, p-o., Montgomery co., Md., 68 n. n. w. Annapolis,
Day, p-t., Saratoga co., N. Y., 63 n. by w. Albany, 431 W. The
surface is hilly and mountainous. The Kayaderosseras mt. extends
across it. Drained by Sacandaga r., on which most of the good
kind is situated. It has 2 stores, 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac.,
1 tannery, 1 pottery, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. C ap. in manufac.
$8,700. 5 sen. 220 scholars. Pop. 912.
Daysville. p-o., Ogle co., 111.
Dayanville, p-v., Watson t., Lewis co., N. Y., 141 n. w. Albany,
440 W. Situated on Crystal cr., and contains 2 stores, 3 saw m.,
20 dwellings, and about 125 inhabitants.
Day's Landing, p-o., York co., Fa., 33 s. s. e. Harrisburg, 99
Daysville, p o., Bradley co., Tenn., 163 s. e. Nashville, 574 W.
Dayton, p-t., Cattaraugus co., N. Y., 312 w. by s. Albany, 350
W. The surface is undulating; soil, clay and gravelly loam.
Drained by Connewango cr. and its tributaries. It has 1 store,
cap. $5,000; 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$2,500. 6 sch. 308 scholars. Pop. 946.
Dayton, p o., Rockingham co., Va.
Dayton, p-t., capital of 3Iontgomery co., O., 68 w. by s.
Columbus, 461 W. Pop. of the v., 1310,3/3; 1820, 1,139;
1330,2,954; 1840,6,067: the t. in addition, 4,26 3. Watered by
Great Miami r. and its tributaries, s. w. branch of Mad r. and
Wolf cr. Mad r. is here turned into a race, about a mile above
its mouth, and after being employed in mills, is turned into the
Miami, partly above and partly below the v., thus constituting
the ground on which it stands, an island. In and near the v. are
4 cotton factories with 5,000 sp. There is also a carpet fac.
with a building 100 feet by 40, 4 stories high, containing 12
looms, producing 100 yards of carpeting a day. In the second
story is an extensive carding and spinning establishment. There
is a gun-barrel fac. with a cap. of $ 15,000, a large iron
foundry, four machine shops, producing $100,000 annually, a
clock fac. producing 2,500 clocks yearly, an extensive paper
fac, a carding and fulling m., 7 flouring m., 7 saw m., 5
distilleries, and various other mills and manufactories. Cap. in
manufac over $1,000,000. It contains a court house, and county
offices of brick, and a jail and banking house of stone. It has
6 churches, 2 acad. 81 students, 6 sch. 873 scholars, over 1,200
houses, 50 stores, and 3 printing offices. The Miami canal
passes through the place and connects it with Cincinnati.
Dayton, p-o., Lasalle co., Ill., 137 n. n. e. Springfield, 777
Dayton, p-v., Tippecanoe co., Ia., 63 n. w. Indianapolis, 621 W.
It contains about 50 inhabitants.
Dayton, p-v., Marengo co., Ala., 76 s. by w. Tuscaloosa, 83? W.
Dead Fall, p o., Abbeville dist., S. C, 89 w. Columbia, 519 W.
Dead, river, Me., the w. branch of Kennebec r., rises near the
boundary of Lower Canada, and after a course of 70 miles, falls
into the Kennebec, 20 m. below Moosehead lake. It passes through
a fertile country.
Dead, r., p-o, Somerset co., Me., 78 n. n. w. Augusta, 67i W.
Dead, stream, a tributary of the Penobscot, enters it from the
e. at Orono.
Deal, v., Shrewsbury t., Monmouth co., N. J., is a small
watering place, situated on Poplar Swamp cr. Here are boarding
houses, capable of accommodating from 50 to 100 persons. It is a
fine place for the enjoyment of sea air and bathing. The v. is
about a mile from the sea, and 3 s. of Long Branch boarding
Deal's Mills, p-o., Caldwell co., N. C, 180 w. Raleigh, 418 W.
Dean's Corners, p-o., Saratoga t., Saratoga co., N. Y., 33 n.
Albany, 406 W.
Deansville, p-v., Marshall t., Oneida co., N. Y., 104 w. n. w.
Albany, 375 W. Situated on the Chenango canal, and contains 1
church, 2 stores, 2 warehouses, 30 dwellings, and about 200
Dearborn, County, Ia. Situated in the s. e.
part of the state, has the Ohio r. on its e. border, and
contains 380 sq. ms. Organized in 1802. Drained by Great Miami
and Whitewater rivers, and a number of small creeks. The surface
is hilly and broken, with rich bottom lands on the rivers.
Capital, Lawrenceville. There were in 1810, neat cattle 10,455,
sheep 16,451, swine 21,349; wheat 131,318 bush, produced, rye
1,218, Ind. corn 610,299, buckwheat 1,125, barley 3,229, oats
152,802, potatoes 41,855, tobacco 2,850 pounds, sugar 34,366; 76
stores, cap. $196,497; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac.
600 sp., 6 tanneries, 5 distilleries, 1 pottery, 21 grist m., 22
saw m., 1 oil m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly news-paper. Cap.
in manufac. $73,595. 4 acad. 30 students, 56 sch. 1,110
scholars. Pop. 1830, 13,974; 1840, 19,327.
Dearborn, t., Kennebec co., Me., 15 n. Augusta. A large pond,
which contains a number of beautiful islands, covers a
considerable portion of its surface. Incorporated in 1812. It
has 1 sch. 30 scholars. Pop. 163.
Dearborn, t., Wayne co., Mich. The Rouge r. passes through it.
It has 8 stores, cap. $4,240; 1 flouring m., 1 grist m., 3 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $11,050. It has 4 sch. 120 scholars. Pop.
Dearbornville, p-v., Dearborn t., Wayne co., Mich., 10 w.
Detroit, 534 W. Situated on the s. branch of Rouge r. It
contains 1 Methodist church, 7 stores, 1 saw m., 1 flouring m.,
1 iron foundry, and about 60 dwellings. The U. States arsenal
located here, consists of 11 brick buildings, the whole
surrounded by a wall of heavy masonry 12 feet high.
Deardoof's Mills, p-o., Wayne t., Tuscarawas co., O., 112 e. n.
e. Columbus, 324 W.
Deatonville, p-o., Amelia co., Va.
Deavertown, p-v., York t., Morgan co., O., 71 e. by s. Columbus,
343 W. It has an elevated and pleasant site, and contains 3
churches, 35 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.
De Bastrop, t., Chicot co., Ark. Population, 270.
Decatur, County, Ga. Situated in the s. w. part
of the state, and contains 1,675 sq. ms. Chattahoochee r. runs
on its w. border. Drained by Flint and Spring rivers. Flint r.
unites with the Chattahoochee on the s. border of the co.
Organized in 1824. The surface is moderately uneven; soil not
very fertile. Capital, Bain-bridge. There were in 1830, neat
cattle 16,232, sheep 1,396, swine 16,517; Ind. corn 161,752
bush, produced, oats 4,039, potatoes 41,137, tobacco 12,170
pounds, cotton 1,794,923, sugar 33,755; 18 stores, cap. $41,130;
23 tanneries, 1 distillery, 16 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $34,800. 4 acad. 173 students, 4 sch. 66 scholars. Pop.
1830, 3,854; 1810, whites 3,473, slaves 2,386, free col'd 8;
Decatur, County, Ia. Situated toward the s. e.
part of the state, and contains 310 sq.ms. The surface is gently
undulating; soil fertile, and well adapted to grain. Drained by
Flat Rock, Clifty, and Sand creeks, which afford water power.
Organized in 1821. Capital, Greensburgh. There were in 1340,
neat cattle 11,862, sheep 14.793, swine 23,290; wheat 77,511
bush, produced, rye 3,198, Ind. corn 643,015, buck-wheat 317,
oats 112,195, potatoes 12,445, sugar 33,325 pounds; 34 stores,
cap. $90,330; 6 tanneries, 5 distilleries, 1 pottery, 21 grist
m., 22 saw m , 1 oil m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper,
1 acad. 75 students, 56 sch. 2,986 scholars. Pop. 12,171.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!