Decatur, NY to Delaware Bay, DE
Decatur, p-t, Otsego co., N. Y., 61 w. by s. Albany, 375 W. The
surface is elevated and hilly, and the soil sandy loam. Drained
by Elk cr. The v. has 1 Methodist church, 2 stores, and 20
dwellings. There are in the t., 2 stores, cap. $4,500; 1 fulling
m., 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,320. 8 sch. 310
scholars. Pop. 1,071.
Decatur, t., Mifflin co., Pa., 14 N. e Lewistown. The surface is
mountainous; soil, slate and gravel. Watered by Jacks cr., a
branch of the Juniata. It has 1 woolen fac, 11 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $2,945. 2 sch. 45 scholars. Pop. 767.
Decatur, p-v.. Byrd t, Brown co., O., 105 s. w. Columbus, 452 W.
It contains a brick church, 3 stores, 30 dwellings, and about
Decatur, p-t., Van Buren co., Mich., 153 w. Detroit, 615 W. Pop.
Decatur, p-v., capital of De Kalb co., Ga., 90 n. w.
Milledgeville, 676 W. It contains a court house, jail, an
academy, 3 churches, and about 50 dwellings. It has an elevated
and healthy situation. The Georgia railroad from Augusta
terminates near the v.
Decatur, t.. Marion co., Ia. It has 1 saw m., 6 sch. 151
scholars. Pop. 916.
Decatur, t., Washington co., O. It has 3 sch. 143 scholars. Pop.
Decatur, p-v., Union dist., S. C., 77 n. w. Columbia, 457 W.
Decatur, t.. Lawrence co., O. It has 3 sch. 9S scholars. Pop.
Decatur, p-v., Morgan co., Ala., 139 n. n. e. Tuscaloosa, 739 W.
Situated on the s. side of Tennessee r., at the e. termination
of the Tuscumbia and Decatur railroad. It contains several
stores and dwellings.
Decatur, p-v., capital of Adams co., Ia., 132 n. u.
Indianapolis, 522 W. Situated on the s. w. side of the Wabash
r., and contains a court house and several dwellings.
Decatur, p-v., capital of Newton co., Miss., 76 e. Jackson, 954
W. Situated on the head waters of Chickasawha r. It contains a
court house and several dwellings.
Decatur, p-v., capital of Meigs co., Tenn., 140 e. s. e.
Nashville, 568 W. Situated 2½ ms. e. of Tennessee r. It contains
a court house, several stores and dwellings.
Decatur, p-v., Howard co., Mo., 54 n. w. Jefferson city, 959 W.
Decatur, p-v., capital of Macon co., Ill., 40 e. Springfield,
749 W. Situated on the vv. side of the n. fork of Sangamon r.,
on the borders of an extensive prairie. The country around is
fertile and well settled. It has 3 stores, several mechanics,
and about 35 dwellings.
Deckertown, p-v.. Wantage t., Sussex co., N. J., 87 x. Trenton,
256 W. It contains 1 Presbyterian church, 4 stores, 1 grist m.
and 20 dwellings. It is situated in a rich limestone country.
Dedham. t., Hancock co., Me. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 1
tannery, 1 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,000. 5 sch.
197 scholars. Pop. 455.
Dedham, p-t.. capital of Norfolk co., Mass., 13 s. s. w Boston,
431 W. Situated on Charles r., which affords good water power.
Neponset r. runs on its E. border, and a small stream runs from
Charles r. into Neponset. r. The t. is well cultivated, and
contains 4 Congregational churches, 1 Episcopal and 1 Baptist.
The v. is pleasantly situated on Charles r., and contains 2 of
the Congregational churches, and the Episcopal, a granite court
house, a jail, a bank, 2 printing offices, and more than 100
dwellings, many of them elegant. The Boston and Providence
railroad passes through the t., and a railroad from the v., 2
ms. long, connects with it. It has 12 stores, cap. $17,000; 3
woolen fac, 2 cotton fac. 4,200 sp., 2 tanneries, 4 grist m., 4
saw m., 1 paper fac, 2 printing offices, 1 weekly newspaper.
Cap. in manufac. $249,700. 3 acad. 63 students, 11 sch. 725
scholars. Pop. 3,290.
Deep Creek, p-v., Norfolk co., Va., 114 s. E. Richmond, 244 W.
Situated on both sides of Dismal Swamp canal, at its
termination. It contains 1 free church, 6 stores, 1 grist m., 1
saw m., several mechanics, and 25 dwellings. Exports, cedar
shingles and other lumber from the Dismal Swamp.
Deep Cut, p-o., Mercer co., O.
Deep River, p-v., Saybrook t., Middlesex co., Ct, 33 s. by e.
Hartford, 333 W. Situated on Connecticut r., at the entrance of
Deep r., a small tributary. It has 1 Congregational and 1
Baptist church, 1 comb fac, and several dwellings.
Deep River, p-o.. Guilford co., N. C, 99 w. n. w. Raleigh, 320
Deep, r., N. C, forms, with the Haw, the n. w. branch of Cape
Deep River, p-o., Lake co., Ia., 148 n. n. e. Indianapolis, 692
Deep String, p-o., Hawkins co., Tenn., 256 E. by n. Nashville,
Deep Water, p-o., Henry co., Mo.
Deep Water, t., Van Buren co., Mo. Pop. 261.
Deep Well, p-o., Iredell co., N. C, 137 w. Raleigh, 374 W.
Deer Creek, p-o., Mercer co., Pa., 236 w. n. w. Harrisburg, 291
Deer Creek, t., Madison co., O. It has 1 saw m., 4 sch. 151
scholars. Pop. 545.
Deer Creek, p-o., Livingston co., Mich., 61 w. Detroit, 564 W.
Deer Creek Works, p-o., Harford co., Md.
Deer, cr., a small stream, Harford co.. Md., enters the
Deer Creek, t., Pickaway co., O. It lies 8. by w. Columbus, on
both sides of a creek of the same name. It has 2 stores, cap.
$1,500; 1 distillery, 2 grist m., 2 saw m., 2 sch. 30 scholars.
Deerfield, p-t, Rockingham co., N. H., 19 s. e. Concord, 475 W.
The surface is uneven, and the soil fertile, but not easily
cultivated. Settled in 1756. Pleasant pond, a large body of
water in the x. part, has its outlet into Suncook r. Lamprey r.
passes through the t. It has 9 stores, cap. $8,000; 4 tanneries,
3 grist m., 3 saw m., 1 oil m., 13 sch. 720 scholars.
Deerfield, p-t., Franklin co., Mass., 95 w. by n. Boston, 399 W.
Connecticut r. runs on its e. border, and Deerfield r. runs
through it, and here joins the Connecticut r. It is fertile,
and, particularly on the livers, has some of the best, meadows
in the state. The v., when is separated from Connecticut r. by a
chain of high hills, is pleasantly situated on a plain, chiefly
on one street, and contains a Congregational church, and an
academy. There are in the t., 7 stores, cap. $25.300; 1 tannery,
2 rope fac, 3 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $23,219. 1
acad. 123 students, 15 sch. 303 scholars. Pop. 1,912.
Deerfield, t., Oneida co., N. Y., 4 ms. n. Utica. Surface
generally hilly; soil, in some parts very fertile. Drained by
tributaries of the Mohawk r. It has 4 stores, cap. 8,600; 1
grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $13,230. 11 sch. 458
scholars. Pop. 3,120.
Deerfield, t., Cumberland co.. N. J. The surface is level; soil,
clay, gravel and sand, made fertile by marl. Drained by Cohansey
cr. and Muddy run, a branch of Maurice r. It contains 4
churches, 2 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist. It has 5
stores, cap. $46,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 4
distilleries, 1 glass house, 1 pottery, 2 paper fac, 1 printing
office, 1 bindery, 1 weekly newspaper, 1 flouring m., 2 grist
m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $97,075. 3 acad. 396 students, 11
sch. 836 scholars. Pop. 2,621.
Deerfield, t., Tioga co., Pa., 13 n. w. Wellsborough. The
surface is hilly; soil, gravelly loam. Drained by Cowanesque
cr., and Marsh cr. a tributary of Crooked cr. It has 3 stores,
cap. $10,500; 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 3 saw m., 1
oil m. Cap. in manufac. $10,150. 2 sch. 140 scholars. Pop. 615.
Deerfield, p-v., Warren co., Pa., 223 n. w. Harrisburg, 312 W.
It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac $7,500. 4
sch. 80 scholars. Pop. 450.
Deerfield, p-t, Portage co., O., 149 n. e. Columbus, 310 W.
Watered by Mahoning r. The Pennsylvania and Ohio canal passes
through the t. It has 6 sch. 221 scholars. Pop. 1,184.
Deerfield, t., Warren co., O. It has 6 sch. 628 scholars. Pop.
Deerfield, p-v., Lenawee co., Mich., 65 s. w. Detroit, 495 W.
Deerfield, t., Morgan co., O. It has 9 sch. 307 scholars. Pop.
Deerfield, p-v., Augusta co., Va., 134 w. n. w. Richmond, 171 W.
Deerfield, t., Ross co., O., 44 s. Columbus. Pop. 1,235.
Deerfield, p-v., Randolph co., Ia., 88 e. n. e. Indianapolis,
Deerfield, t., Van Buren co., Mo. Pop. 301.
Deerfield, t., Livingston co., Mich. It has 4 sch. 115 scholars.
Deerfield Street, p-v., Deerfield t., Cumberland co., N. J., 62
s. s. w. Trenton, 173 W. It contains a Presbyterian church, 1
store, and 25 dwellings. The t. is drained by Cohansey cr., and
contains 4 churches, 2 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist,
and an academy, 11 stores, 1 large flouring m., 2 saw m., and 1
Deerfield, r., Mass., rises in Vt., and after a course of 50 ms.
enters the Connecticut in the n. part of Deerfield t. Its
precipitous banks, in its passage through the mountains, are
curious and romantic
Deerfieldvillie, p-v., Union t., Warren co., O., 89 s. e.
Columbus, 473 W. Founded in 1725, when it was a frontier town.
Situated on the n. bank of Little Miami r. The river bottoms are
here exceedingly rich, but being liable to be overflowed, this
circumstance has retarded the growth of the place. It contains
about 15 houses and 20 families.
Deering, p-t., Hillsboro' co., N. H., 25 s. w. Concord, 469 W.
Watered by Contoocook r. Incorporated in 1774. The surface is
diversified, and the soil moderately fertile. It has some
manufactures, particularly of brick. I has 2 stores, cap.
$4,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 3 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $4,910. 11 sch. 377 scholars. Pop. 1,124.
Deer Isle, p-t., Hancock co., Me., 93 e. by s. Augusta, 689 W.
The t. consists of an island on the e. side of Penobscot bay.
with 2 or 3 small adjoining islands. Incorporated in 1789. These
islands are fertile; and having good harbors, are well situated
for engaging in the fisheries. It has 15 stores, cap. $13,650; 1
fulling m. 2 tanneries, 3 grist m.. 2 saw m., 1 acad. 30
students, 2 sch. 1,170 scholars. Pop. 2,841.
Deerpark, t., Orange co., N. Y., 38 w. Newburgh, 108 s. s. w.
Albany. On the e. the surface is mountainous, but on the w.,
toward the Delaware, which washes its s. w. border, it is level.
The soil is gravelly loam, and alluvial sand, and vegetable
mold. Watered by Neversink r., and Bush's kill, tributaries of
the Delaware. The Delaware and Hudson canal, and the New York
and Erie railroad pass through the t. It has 9 stores, cap.
$35,400; 6 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac $39,400. 3 acad.
236 students, 3 sch. 114 scholars. Pop. 1,607.
Deer River Falls, p-o., Duane t., Franklin co., N. Y., 197 n. by
w. Albany, 530 W.
Deersville, p-v., Stock t., Harrison co., O., 109 e. by n.
Columbus, 296 W.
Defiance, p-v., Defiance t., capital of Williams co., O., 152 n.
w. Columbus, 504 W. Situated at the junction of Maumee and
Auglaize rivers. It is well located for commerce, being on the
Wabash and Erie canal, and at the junction of the Miami and
Wabash canal, and at the union of several navigable rivers. It
has a court house, jail, and 944 inhabitants. It was an
important military post in the Indian wars. It has 8 stores,
cap. $31,300; 1 tannery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper,
2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,550. 4 sch. 160
Defrietsville, p-v., Greenbush t., Rensselaer co., N. Y., 4 s.
e. Albany, 347 W. It contains 1 Dutch Reformed church, 1 store,
and 15 dwellings.
De Kalb, County, Ga. Situated centrally toward
the n. part of the state, and contains 360 sq. ms. The surface
is an elevated table land. The Chattahoochee r. runs on its n.
w. border. Watered by branches of the Chattahoochee and of the
Ocmulgee rivers. The Georgia railroad from Augusta, extends to
the centre of this co., and is to be continued to Tennessee r.
Capital, Decatur. There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,209, sheep
4,396, swine 19.235; wheat 45,648 bush, produced, Ind. corn
293,054, oats 47,007, potatoes 1,051, tobacco 270 pounds; 20
stores, cap. $132,200; 3 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 17 grist m.,
14 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $17,500. 2 acad. 77 students, 10 sch.
245 scholars. Pop. 1830, 10,042; 1840, whites 8,456, slaves
2,004, free col'd 7; total, 10,467.
De Kale, County, Ala. Situated in the n. e.
part of the state, and contains 1,500 sq. ms. Tennessee r. forms
its if w. boundary. Drained by Will's cr., a branch of Coosa r.
The surface is uneven, excepting along the valley of the creek.
Capital, Lebanon. There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,853, sheep
2,562, swine 98,779: wheat 14,965 bush, produced, Ind. corn
313,591, oats 12,520, potatoes 21,231, tobacco 17,563 pounds,
cotton 94,723; 10 stores, cap. $12,500; 3 tanneries, 8
distilleries, 10 grist m., 5 saw m., 2 acad. 147 students, 6
sch. 164 scholars. Pop. 5,929.
De Kalb, County, Term. Situated in the central
part of the state, and contains 275 sq. ms. The N. and w. parts
are hilly and broken, being on the declivity of the Cumberland
mountains. The s. part is level barrens, affording good
pasturage for cattle. The soil is generally thin, but fertile,
producing tobacco and grain. Capital, Smithville. There were in
1840, neat cattle 4,921, sheep 5,832, swine 22,029; wheat 17,235
bush, produced, rye 3,210, Ind. corn 244,319, oats 23,524,
potatoes 71,000, tobacco 50,087 pounds, cotton 17,706; 6 stores,
cap. $15,050; 10 tanneries, 26 distilleries, 5 flouring m., 75
grist m., 31 saw m.. 1 paper fac, 4 printing offices, 2
binderies, 1 daily, 5 weekly, 3 semi-weekly newspapers. Cap. in
manufac. $344,230. 10 sch. 122 scholars. Pop. whites 5,398,
slaves 459, free col'd 11; total, 5,868.
De Kalb, County, Ia. Situated in the n. e. part
of the state, and contains 365 sq. ms. Organized in 1835.
Watered by St. Joseph's branch of Maumee r. and several creeks.
Capital, Auburn. There were in 1840, neat cattle 1,967, sheep
400, swine 3,033; wheat 9,058 bush, produced, lnd. corn 31,730,
oats 6,958, potatoes 18,679, tobacco 135 pounds, sugar 41,760; 4
stores, cap. $15,200, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$6,300. 10 sch. 191 scholars. Pop. 1.968.
De Kalb, p-t., St. Lawrence co., N. Y., 195 n. n. w. Albany, 464
W. The surface is hilly, and the soil moderately fertile.
Watered by Oswegatchie r. and its tributaries. Marble and iron
ore are found here. The v. is situated on the E. side of
Oswegatchie r., which has falls here, affording good water
power. It contains 1 store, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 30 dwellings,
and about 150 inhabitants. The r. is navigable for boats to
Ogdensburg. There are in the t., 1 store, cap. $6,000; 1
tannery, 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,415. 14 sch.
521 scholars. Pop. 1,531.
De Kalb, p-o., Richland co., O., 80 n. n. e. Columbus, 406 W.
De Kalb, p-v., Hancock co., Ill., 100 w. n. w. Springfield, 878
De Kalb, p-v., capital of Kemper co., Miss., 106 e. n. e.
Jackson, 911 W. Situated 2 ms. s. Sacarnochee cr. It contains a
court house, and a few dwellings.
De Kalb, p-v., Lewis co., Va., 313 w. n. w. Richmond, 281 W.
Situated on the n. bank of Little Kanawha r.
De Kalb, p-o., Buchanan co., Mo.
Delavan, p-o., Yorkshire t., Cattaraugus co., N. Y, 282 w. by s.
Albany, 337 W.
Delavan, p-o., Walworth co., Wis., 64 s. e. Madison, 811 W.
Delavan, p-o., Tazewell co., Ill., 45 n. Springfield, 783 W
Delaware, r., rises by 2 principal branches on the w. side of
the Catskill mountains. The Mohawks, or western branch, proceeds
from a small lake in a s. w. direction, and turning s. e., it
reaches, the Pennsylvania line in lat. 42°, and proceeding 7
miles on the line between that state and N. York, it receives
the Popacton branch, which also proceeds from the Catskill
mountains, in a s. w. direction to its junction. After the union
of these streams, the river pursues a winding course to the s.
e., forming the boundary between New York and Pennsylvania, in
the whole, for 50 miles. It touches the n. w. corner of New
Jersey at Carpenter's point, in lat. 41° 24'. It then takes a s.
w. direction, until at its passage through the Kittatinny or
Blue mountains, it turns to the s. e. This passage, called the
Delaware Water Gap, is a great curiosity. The banks rise in a
rugged and lofty wall, 1,600 feet high, precipitously from the
water's edge, unbroken. The distance through the mountains is
about 2 miles, and in one place the river has worn out of the
rock a basin from the hill of many acres in extent. In general,
there is hardly room along the water's edge for a road, it being
in many places overhung by immense rocks. Through this pass the
river has a great depth. At Easton, it receives from the w. the
Lehigh, one of its principal tributaries, A little below Easton,
the river passes s. Mountain, and has a course s. w. 60 miles to
Trenton, in which distance there are 25 rapids, with a total
fall of 165 feet; but they are navigable at high water. The
river, below Trenton, turns to the s. w. until near the bay,
which it enters in a s. E, direction. The river, from its source
to the ocean, is about 309 miles long. It is navigable for
vessels of the largest class, 40 ms. to Philadelphia; and for
sloops, 35 ms. further to Trenton. Above the falls at Trenton,
it is navigable for boats of 8 or 9 tons, 100 miles. The
Delaware is connected to the Hudson river by the Delaware and
Hudson, and by the Morris canals. There is also a canal from the
Delaware to the Chesapeake bay, 14 ms. long, 60 feet wide and 8
feet deep, sufficient for the passage of small vessels. There
are 5 bridges over the Delaware, the lowest of which is at
Trenton. The largest cities and towns on the Delaware are
Philadelphia, Burlington, Trenton, and Easton.
Delaware Bay, at the mouth of Delaware r., is a large arm of the
sea, 65 miles long, and 18 miles across at its mouth, between
Cape May on the n., and Cape Henlopen on the s. In the middle,
it is 30 miles across. For 70 miles from the sea, this bay has
no safe natural harbor; and within Cape Henlopen, a magnificent
work, called the Delaware Breakwater, has been erected by the
general government, consisting of a stone dyke or pier, 1,200
yards long, and another 500 yards long, forming a safe
artificial harbor. 900,000 cubic yards of stone were consumed in
these structures. The stones weigh from a quarter of a ton to 3
State of Delaware
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!