Derry, PA to Dillon's Run, VA
Derry, p-t., Columbia co., Pa., 84 n. by e. Harrisburg, 194 W.
The surface is level; soil, clay and calcareous loam. It has 5
stores, cap. $23,500; 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 1 saw
m, Cap. in manufac. $3,975. 5 sch. 106 scholars. Pop. 1,754.
De Ruyter, p-t., Madison co., N. Y., 122 w. by n. Albany, 340 W.
The surface is elevated and hilly, and the soil clay and sandy
loam. Drained by Toughnioga r. The v. was incorporated in 1833,
and contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Baptist church, an academy, 4
stores, 1 tannery, 60 dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants.
There are in the t. 8 stores, cap. $45,900; 2 fulling m., 3
tanneries, 2 grist m., 10 saw m., 1 rope fac, 1 printing office,
1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $46,100. 1 acad. 194
students, 14 sch. 520 scholars. Pop. 1,799.
Desha, County. Ark. Situated in the s. e. part
of the state, and contains 800 sq. ms. The Mississippi passes
along its eastern border, and the Arkansas and White rivers
unite and pass through the county. The surface is level, liable
to be submerged in some parts; soil, fertile. Capital,
Belleville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,592, sheep 229,
swine 4,885; Ind. corn 65,455 bush, produced, potatoes 3,942,
cotton 75,430 pounds; 11 stores, cap. $13,534; 6 grist m., 3 saw
m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly news-paper. Cap. in manufac.
$14,130. Pop. whites 1,155, slaves 407, free col'd 36; total,
Des Moines, r., Iowa, rises in the Coteau des Prairies, and
flows in a s. e. direction through the s. part of the ter., and
enters the Mississippi at the foot of the Des Moines rapids, on
the boundary between Iowa and Missouri. In high water it is
navigable 100 miles for steamboats, and for keel boats in all
Des Moines, County, Iowa. Situated in the s. e.
part of the ter., and contains 410 sq. ms. Mississippi r. flows
on its e. border. Drained by Flint r. and its tributaries. Skunk
r. forms its s. w. boundary. It consists of timber and prairie
in due proportions, and has a fertile soil. Capital, Burlington.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,438, sheep 3,424, swine
15,940; wheat 15,810 bush, produced, Ind. corn 190,720, oats
50,933, potatoes 17,423; 22 stores, cap. 128,975; 3 com. houses,
cap. $14,000; 1 lumber yard, cap. $1,000; 2 tanneries, 1
pottery, 2 grist m., 7 saw m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $46,650. 16 sch. 352 scholars. Pop.
Des Moines, p-v., Hancock co., Ill., 124 w. n. w. Springfield,
Des Moines, t., Clark co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 22 scholars. Pop.
De Soto, County, Miss. Situated in the n. part
of the state, and contains 925 sq. ms. Drained by Cold Water r.
and branches. The Mississippi r. passes along its n. w. corner.
Capital, Hernando. There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,868, sheep
2,046, swine 17,204; wheat 2,600 bushels produced, Ind. corn
159,145, oats 3,250, potatoes 12, 159, cotton 251,078 pounds; 4
stores, capital $3,300; 1 tannery, 4 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $38,780. 13 sch. 322 scholars. Pop. whites 3,975,
slaves 3,021, free col'd 6; total, 7,002.
Des Plaines, p-o., Cook co., Ill., 182 n. e. by n. Springfield,
Des Plaines, r., one of the head branches of Illinois r., rises
in Wisconsin, a few miles above the boundary of Illinois, and
runs generally over a bed of limestone rock, through a fertile
Detroit, city, capital of Wayne co., Mich., and of the state,
302 w. Buffalo, 524 W. It has a pleasant and healthy situation,
on a river or strait of the same name, 30 feet above its
surface, with a fine view of the surrounding country. It is 7
miles below the outlet of Lake St. Clair, and 18 above the w.
end of Lake Erie, in 42° 19' 53" n. lat., and 82° 58' w. long.,
and 5° 56' 12" w. long, from W. Pop. 1810, 770; 1820, 1,422;
1830, 2,222; 1840, 9,102. It extends for the distance of a mile
upon the r., and three fourths of a mile back. For 1,200 feet
back of the r. its plan is rectangular. From this point 8
avenues, 200 feet wide, radiate, dividing it into triangular
portions, all terminating at a large open area, called the Grand
Circus. The principal public and private offices, and drygoods
stores, are located on Jefferson avenue, a fine street running
parallel with the r. There are several public squares, the most
noted of which is called the Campus Martius. The city is drained
by public sewers. The city is partially supplied with water from
an elevated reservoir, filled with water raised by steam power
from the river. Detroit is among the earlier settlements of N.
America, having been founded by the French from Canada in 1683.
Among the public buildings are the State House, of brick, of the
Ionic order, 90 by 60 feet, with 6 columns in front, and
pilasters on the sides. The dome presents an extensive and fine
view of the surrounding country. The City Hall, of brick, is a
neat edifice, 100 feet by 50. The lower story is a market, and
the second contains a spacious hall, in winch the courts are
held. It contains 8 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1
Methodist, 1 Baptist, 1 German Lutheran, 2 for colored people,
supplied by clergymen of different denominations, and 2 Roman
Catholic. Some of these churches are large and splendid
buildings. The Bank of Michigan is a fine stone edifice, of
Grecian architecture, 56 by 40 feet. There are 3 other banks,
and the whole capital of the banks is $2,250,000. There are a U.
S. land office, 3 markets, a theatre, a muse-um, a public
garden, state penitentiary, government magazine, and mechanics'
hall. There are various charitable and benevolent institutions.
The Protestants and the Roman Catholics have each an orphan
asylum. The ladies' free school society educate 200 indigent
children. There are several literary and scientific societies.
There are 3 female institutes of a high order, and several
equally respectable schools for boys, besides 12 public schools,
attended by about 500 children.
Detroit is admirably situated for trade, and is becoming a great
commercial emporium. The navigation of the river and lake are
open about 8 months in the year. The arrivals of vessels and
steamboats at this place are about 300 annually, and the
clearances are as many. The tonnage of the port in 1840 was
11,432 tons. The first steamboat arrival at this place, was in
August, 1818. Now, several of the largest class arrive and
depart daily. The central railroad, which is designed to extend
across the peninsula, is finished 44 ms. from Detroit to Ann
Arbor. Detroit was incorporated as a city in 1815. It has
several times suffered severely by fires. There were in 1840, H
commission houses in for. trade, cap. $123,000; 113 retail
stores, cap. $412,760; 4 lumber yards, cap. $31,500; 3 furnaces,
1 tannery, 2 breweries, 1 pottery,3 printing offices, 2
binderies,3 daily and 4 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
Detroit, river, N. America, forms the boundary between Canada
and the United States, and extends from Lake St. Clair, 28 ms.,
to Lake Erie. Opposite to Detroit, it is three fourths of a mile
wide, and increases in width as it descends. It is navigable for
vessels of any burden. Near its mouth are several islands, the
largest of which are Grosse and Fighting islands. The principal
channel is on the eastern side, between Boisblanc Island and the
Canada shore; the western channel is wider, but full of small
islands. Back from the r. the land descends into low grounds,
and the settlements are only one farm deep on the banks of the
r. The settlements appear like a continued village on the
British shore, and also on the American shore for many miles
above and below Detroit, and the houses are surrounded with
fruit trees, presenting a delightful spectacle in passing
through the strait.
Detroit, p-o., Somerset co., Me.
Devereaux, p-o., Herkimer co., N. Y.
Devereaux's Store, p-o., Hancock co., Ga., 15 n. e.
Milledgeville, 565 W.
De Witt, p-t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 126 w. by N. Albany, 351 W.
The surface is moderately uneven, and the t. contains
inexhaustible quantities of water lime, which is extensively
exported. It has 7 stores, cap. $18,450; 2 tanneries, 3 flour-ing
m., 3 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $38,175. 1 acad. 32
students, 19 sch. 808 scholars. Pop. 2,802.
De Witt, p-v., and capital of Clinton county, Mich., 96 n. w. by
w. Detroit, 599 W.
De Witt, p-v., Carroll co., Mo. Situated on the n. side of
Missouri r., 8 ms. above the mouth of Grand r., and contains 200
De Witt's Valley, p-v., Burns t., Alleghany co., N. Y, 248 w. by
s. Albany, 326 W. It contains 1 store, 1 tannery, 25 dwellings,
and about 150 inhabitants.
De Wittsville, p-o., Chautauque t,, Chautauque co., N. Y., 348
w. by s. Albany, 335 W.
Dexter, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., 71 n. n. e. Augusta, 666 W.
The soil is fertile, and produces good wheat. It occupies the
height of land between Penobscot and Kennebec rivers, to both of
which its waters flow. A large pond, covering 500 acres,
furnishes, by its outlet, good mill seats, where the v. is
situated. It has 7 stores, cap. $13,700; 5 fulling m., 2 woolen
fac, 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $49,506.
10 sch. 306 scholars. Pop. 1,464.
Dexter, p-v., Brownville t., Jefferson co., N. Y. It is situated
on the n. side of Black r., at its mouth, where is extensive
water power, and an uninterrupted navigation to Lake Ontario.
The United States are constructing piers for the improvement of
the harbor. It has several vessels which ply regularly between
this place and Oswego, and other places on the lake. It is of
recent growth, and contains 1 Episcopal church, 3 stores, and an
extensive warehouse and wharf. It has 1 large woolen fac, 1
clothier's works, 1 flouring m., 4 double saw m., 1 planing
machine, 1 oil m., 1 plaster m., 1 iron foundry, 1 axe fac, and
other mechanic establishments.
Dexter, p-v., Scio t., Washtenaw co., Mich., 52 w. Detroit, 533
W. It has an elevated and pleasant location on Mill cr., at its
entrance into Huron r. It has 7 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 saw m.,
and 1 tannery. The water power here is very extensive. The
railroad from Detroit to St. Joseph will pass through the place.
Dexterville, v., Ellicott town, Chautauque county, N. Y Situated
on the n. side of the outlet of Chautauque lake, possesses great
water power, and furnishes 2,000,000 feet of pine boards
annually, besides lath and shingles, and has some other
manufactures. It is of recent origin, but promising.
Diamond Grove, p-v., Brunswick co., Va., 80 s. s. w. Richmond,
Diamond Grove, p-o., Iowa co., Wis., 57 w. Madison, 889 W.
Diamond Hill, p-o., Anson co., N. C, 154 s. w. Raleigh, 123 W.
Diana, t., Lewis co., N. Y., 154 n. w. Albany. The surface is
hilly, and the soil sandy and gravelly loam, well adapted to
grazing. Drained by Oswegatchie and Indian rivers. It has 1
store, cap. $2,000; 1 furnace, 4 saw m., 10 sch. 294 scholars.
Diana Mills, Buckingham co., Va., 75 w. Richmond, 149 W. It
contains 2 stores, 2 mills, and a number of dwellings.
Dickinson, p-t., Franklin co., N. Y, 222 n. n. w. Albany, 15 s.
w. Malone, 523 W. It is a large town, 40 ms. long, settled to
the N., but a wilderness toward the s., abounding with lakes,
and has a heavy growth of timber. Drained by branches of Racket
and St. Regis rivers. The soil is various. There is a small v.
at the post-office. It has 2 saw m., 7 sch. 342 scholars. Pop.
Dickinson, p-t., Cumberland co., Pa., 24 s. w. Harrisburg, 111
W. Drained by Yellow Breeches cr. The surface is hilly; soil,
calcareous loam. Iron ore abounds. It has 2 stores, cap. $4,300;
2 furnaces, 2 forges, 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1
distillery, 5 flouring m., 2 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $35,175. 10 sch. 350 scholars. Pop. 2,701.
Dickinson, p-v., Franklin co., Va., 170 w. s. w. Richmond, 245
Dickinson's Store, p-o., Bedford co., Va., 149 w. by s.
Richmond, 224 W.
Dickinsonville, p-v., Russell co., Va., 342 w. by s. Richmond,
Dickson, County, Tenn. Situated toward the n.
w. part of the state, and contains 100 sq. ms. It has Cumberland
r. on its n. e. border. It is on the height of land between
Cumberland and Tennessee rivers, its waters flowing into both.
The surface is an elevated table land, and the soil moderately
good. Capital, Charlotte. There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,445,
sheep 6,370, swine 26,570; wheat 26,560 bush, produced, rye
1,931, Ind. corn 336,161, oats 74,861, potatoes 6,373, tobacco
43,540 pounds, cotton 13,036, sugar 4,961; 10 stores, cap.
$72,300; 5 tan., 3 dist., 12 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$15,047. 13 sch. 444 scholars. Pop. 1830, 7,265; 1840, whites
5,370, slaves 1,687, free col'd 17; total, 7,074.
Dickson's Mills, p-o., Parke co., Ia., 62 w. Indianapolis, 627
Dicksburg, p-v., Knox co., Ia., 130 s. w. Indianapolis, 700 W.
Dighton, p-t., and port of entry, Bristol co., Mass., 41 s.
Boston, 421 W. Situated on the w. side of Taunton r., which is
navigable to this place for small vessels. It has some shipping,
and considerable manufactures, and some vessels are built. On
the opposite bank of the r. is the "Dighton Rock," celebrated
for an ancient inscription, which has never been satisfactorily
explained. It has 9 stores, cap. $5,250; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen
fac, 2 cotton fac. 3,416 sp., 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufac $129,199. 7 sch. 421 scholars. Pop. 1,378.
Dill's Bottom, p-o., Mead t., Belmont co., O., 142 e. Columbus,
Dillon's, p-o., Tazewell co., Ill., 53 n. Springfield, 775 W.
Here is a large settlement.
Dillon's Run, p-o., Hampshire co., Va., 171 n. n. w. Richmond,
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!