Dillonsville, NC to Dover, AR
Dillonsville, p-v., Mecklenburg co., N. C., 196 s. w. by w.
Raleigh, 433 W.
Dillsboro', p-v., Dearborn co., Ia., 85 s. e. Indianapolis, 533
Dillsburg, p-v., Carroll t., York co., Pa., 13 s. s. w.
Harrisburg, 97 W.
Dill's Ferry, p-o., Northampton co., Pa., 125 e. n. e.
Harrisburg, 218 W. The ferry crosses the Delaware in Upper Mount
Bethel t., 18 ms. above Easton.
Dilworthtown, p-v., Birmingham t., Chester co., Pa., 78 e. s. e.
Harrisburg, 116 W. It contains about 20 dwellings.
Dimock's. p-t., Susquehanna co., Pa., 177 n. n. e. Harrisburg,
278 W. It has 1 store, cap. $3,500; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 5 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $9,145. 8 sch. 240 scholars. Pop. 998.
Dimocksville, p-v., Susquehanna co., Pa., 176 n. n. e.
Harrisburg, 279 W.
Dingman, t., Pike co., Pa. Post-office called Dingman's Ferry.
154 n. e. by e. Harrisburg, 248 W. It has an academy, endowed by
the state with $1,000; 3 sch. 70 scholars. Pop. 447.
Dinsmore, p-t., Shelby co., O., 103 w. x. w. Columbus, 494 W. It
has 2 schools, 41 scholars. Pop. 500.
District, t., Berks co., Pa. The surface is hilly; soil,
gravelly and indifferent. Watered by Pine cr. It has 1 store,
cap. $3,500; 1 forge, 3 distilleries, 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Pop.
Dinwiddie, County, Va. Situated toward the s. e. part of the
state, and contains 616 sq. ms. Drained by Appomattox r., and
branches of Nottaway r. The surface is gently rolling. Capital,
Dinwiddie C. H. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,730, sheep
7,611, swine 20,051; wheat 36.883 bush, produced, Ind. corn
284,461, oats 137,210, potatoes 17,711, tobacco 2,219,109
pounds, cotton 72,610; 6 commercial and 8 commission houses,
cap. $875,000; 128 stores, cap. $1,046,355; 2 lumber yards, cap.
$6,000; 1 furnace, 6 forges, 1 woolen fac, 2 cotton fac. 7,520
sp., 1 tannery, 1 pottery, 12 flouring m., 38 grist m., 8 saw
m., 2 printing offices, 3 binderies, 1 semi-weekly newspaper.
Cap. in manufac. $781,435. 18 acad. 615 students, 14 sch. 279
scholars. Pop. 1830, 21,901; 1840, whites 9,847, slaves 9,947,
free col'd 2,764; total, 22,558.
Dinwiddie, C. H., capital of Dinwiddie co., Va., 37 s. by w.
Richmond, 156 W. Situated on Stony creek.
Dismal Swamp, Va. and N. C, commences a little s. of Norfolk,
Va., and extends into N. C. It is a marshy tract, covering
150,000 acres, and is 30 ms. long, from n. to s., and 10 wide.
It is mostly covered with a heavy growth of trees, with
underbrush so thick as to be almost impervious. In the midst of
the swamp, toward its w. side, is Lake Drummond, 15 miles in
circumference. Through this swamp passes the Dismal Swamp canal,
which connects Deep Creek, a tributary of Chesapeake bay, to a
branch of Pasquotank r., which enters Albemarle sound. It is 23
ms. long, 6½ feet deep, 46 wide at top, and at intervals of a
quarter of a mile, 60 feet, for turn-out stations. It is fed
from Lake Drummond, by a navigable side-cut, 5 ms. in length.
Dividing Creek, p-v., Downe t., Cumberland co., N. J., 81
Trenton, 193 W. Situated on a creek of the same name, which
flows into Maurice creek cove, in Delaware bay, and which is
navigable to the v. It contains 1 store, a grist m., and about
Dix, p-o., Jefferson co., N. Y., 186 n. w. Albany, 438 W.
Dix, t., Chemung co., N. Y., 16 n. Elmira, 185 w. s. w. Albany.
The surface is hilly, and the soil gravelly loam. Drained by
Catharine's cr. It has 4 stores, cap. $9,800; 1 lumber yard,
cap. $3,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 5 grist
in., 12 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in
manufac. $29,750. 12 sch. 603 scholars. Pop. 1,990.
Dixborough, p-v., Superior t., Washtenaw co., Mich., 36 w.
Detroit, 532 W. It contains 2 stores, 1 saw m., and 1 flouring
m., and is surrounded by a fertile country.
Dixfield, p-t., Oxford co., Me., 37 n. n. w. Augusta, 609 W.
Situated on the n. bank of Androscoggin r. Incorporated in 1803.
It has a productive soil, adapted to the growth of wheat; 3
stores, cap. $2,500; 4 grist m. 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$4,950. 9 sch. 255 scholars. Pop. 1,169.
Dix Hills, p-o., Huntington t., Suffolk co., N. Y., 183 s. by e.
Albany, 263 W.
Dixmont, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., 43 N. e. Augusta, 638 W.
Incorporated in 1807. It has an undulating surface, and a
fertile soil, and occupies the height of land between Penobscot
and Kennebec rivers. Its streams afford some water power. It has
1 fulling m., 2 tanneries. Cap. in manufac. $8,667. 12 schools,
626 scholars. Pop. 1,498.
Dixon, p-o.. Neshoba co., Miss., 73 e. n. e. Jackson, 943 W.
Dixon, t., Preble co., O. Situated on the line of the state of
Indiana. Organized in 1812. It has a good soil, and is well
watered and cultivated. It contains 2 stores, 3 flouring m., and
6 saw m. Pop. 1,290.
Dixon, p-v., capital of Ogle co., Ill., 161 n. Springfield, 824
W. Situated on the s. e. side of Rock r. It contains a court
house, a U. S. land-office, 1 store, and a few dwellings.
Dixon's Springs, p-o., Smith co., Tenn., 51 e. Nashville, 642 W.
Dixonville, p-v., Cole co., Mo., 8 Jefferson city, 944 W.
Dix's, p-o., Bracken co., Ky., 82 n. e. Frankfort, 500 W.
Dixville, t., Coos co., N. H. Pop. 4.
Dixville, p-v., Henry co., Va., 200 s. w. by w. Richmond, 277 W.
Doakk's Stand, p-o., Madison co., Miss., 36 n. e. Jackson, 974
Doansborough, p-o., Southeast t., Putnam county, N. Y.
Dobb's Ferry, p-v., Greenburg t., Westchester co., N. Y., 126 s.
Albany, 248 W. It has a steamboat landing, 2 churches, 1 store,
and 30 dwellings.
Dockey's Store, p-o., Richmond co., N. C, 129 s. w. Raleigh, 403
Docon, t., Linn co., Mo. Pop. 51.
Dodge, County, Wis. Territory, situated n. e. of the centre, and
contains 756 sq. ms. It has some prairie, and considerable
swampy land. Drained by Rock and Beaverdam rivers, and Rubicon
cr. There were in 1840, neat cattle 150, swine 105; Ind. corn
2,000 bushels produced, oats 2,100, potatoes 2,425. Pop. 67.
Dodgeville, p-v., Iowa co., Wis. ter., 44 w. Madison, 891 W.
Dodgingtown, p-o., Fairfield co., Ct., 66 s. w. Hartford, 297 W.
Dodson, t., Highland co., O. It has 3 sch. 136 scholars. Pop.
Dodsonville, p-v., Marshall co., Ala., 145 n. e. Tuscaloosa, 638
Doe Hill, p-o., Pendleton co., Va., 160 n. w Richmond, 187 W.
Doe River, p-o., Carter co., Tenn., 319 e. Nashville, 432 W.
Doe Run, p-o., Chester co., Pa., 70 e. s. e. Harrisburg, 114 W.
Dogwood, p-o., Walker co., Ga., 208 n. w. Milledgeville, 613 W.
Dolington, p-v., Bucks co., Pa., 119 e. Harrisburg, 163 W. It
has a church and 10 or 12 dwellings.
Dolsentown, p-v., Minisink t., Orange co., N. Y., 100 s. by w.
Albany, 273 W. It contains a church, 2 stores, 1 distillery, 20
dwellings, and about, 100 inhabitants.
Donaldsonville, p-v., Ascension par., La., 73 w. by n. New
Orleans, 1,245 W. Situated on the s. side of Mississippi r.,
just below the outlet of La Fourche. It was formerly the capital
of the state, and has a court house, jail, an arsenal, market
house, a Roman Catholic church, a college, 1 male and 2 female
academies, a U. S. surveyor-general's office, and about 1,000
Donegal, t, Butler county, Pa., 9 n. e. Butler. The surface is
rolling or hilly; soil, clay, sand, and gravel. Drained by Bear
cr., a branch of Buffalo cr., and tributaries of Conequenessing
cr. Iron ore and stone coal are abundant. It has 2 stores, cap.
$4,390; 1 tannery, 2 distilleries, 5 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $12,510. 9 sch. 400 scholars. Pop. 1,615.
Donegal, t. Washington co., Pa., 9 n. e. Butler. The surface is
hilly; soil, loam. Coal is abundant. Drained by the Dutch fork
of Buffalo cr., Bush run, and Castleman's run. The national road
runs through it. It has 3 stores, cap. $70,000; 1 distillery.
Cap. in manufac. $950. 1 acad. 22 students, 11 sch. 330
scholars. Pop. 1,747.
Donegal, p-o., Westmoreland co., Pa., 160 w. Harrisburg, 186 W.
The surface consists of hills and valleys; soil, calcareous
loam. Drained by Four Mile and Two Mile run. Jacob's and Indian
creeks afford water power. It has 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 2
flouring m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,300. 10 sch. 396
scholars. Pop. 2,261.
Donnell's, p-o., Allen co., O., 98 n. n. w. Columbus, 483 W.
Donnellsville, p-o., Clarke co., O., 51 w. by s. Columbus, 444
Dooley, County, Ga., situated centrally toward the s. part of
the state, and contains about 1,600 sq. ms. It occupies the
height of land between Ocmulgee and Flint rivers, and is drained
by tributaries of both. Capital, Vienna. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 19,854, sheep 1,950, swine 10,209; wheat 7,064
bushels produced, Indian com 106,472, potatoes 8,405, cotton
2,576,795 pounds; 6 stores, cap. $465,000; 13 grist m., 5 saw
m., 1 acad. 45 students, 3 sch. 45 scholars. Pop. 1830, 2,135;
1840, whites 3,234, slaves 1,185, free col'd; total, 4,427.
Door Village, p-o., La Porte co., Ia., 149 n. by w.
Indianapolis, 664 W.
Dorchester, p-t., Norfolk co., Mass., 4 s. Boston, 433 W. It
lies on Dorchester bay, in Bos-ton harbor. First settled in
1630. The surface is uneven and rough; but the soil is fertile,
and highly cultivated. Neponset river runs on its 8. border, and
furnishes water power, and facilities for navigation. The
vessels owned here are employed chiefly in the whale and cod
fisheries. It has also considerable manufactures. In a part of
this t., now belonging to Boston, are Dorchester Heights, on
which Washington, in March, 1776, directed a fort to be erected,
by which the British were driven from Boston harbor. The first
settlers of the Connecticut colony, at Windsor and Hartford, 100
in number, came from Dorchester, through the wilderness, in
1636. It has 10 commercial and commission houses in foreign
trade, cap. $326,000; 57 stores, cap. $609,200; 3 lumber yards,
cap. $17,000; 2 cotton fac. 4,000 sp., 1 dyeing and print, estab.,
7 tanneries, 1 pottery, 1 rope fac, 2 grist m., 1 saw m., 4
paper fac, 2 printing offices, 1 weekly newspaper, 1 acad. 119
students, 22 sch. 1,247 scholars. Pop. 4,875.
Dorchester, p-t., Grafton co., N. H.,48 n. w. Concord, 504 W. It
occupies the height of land between Connecticut and Merrimac
rivers, to both of which its streams flow. It is uneven and
rocky, with fertile valleys. It has 1 store, rap. $8,000; 1
grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac $3,097. 9 sch. 217 scholars.
Dorchester, County, Md., situated toward the s. e. part of the
state, and contains 640 sq. ms. Surface, level; soil, fertile.
It has Choptank r. on the n. and n. w., and Chesapeake bay and
Nanticoke river on the s. and s. e. Drained by branches of these
waters. Capital, Cambridge. There were in 1840, neat cattle
14,855, sheep 13,575, swine 24,776; wheat 87,378 bushels
produced, rye 6,761, Ind. corn 476,781, oats 61,812, potatoes
25,373, silk cocoons 544 pounds, tobacco 1,700, cotton 720; 69
stores, cap. $79,695; 2 tanneries, 29 grist m., 13 saw m., 2
printing offices, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $35,129.
2 acad. 106 students, 26 sch. 579 scholars. Pop. 1830, 18,686;
1840, whites 10,629, slaves 4,227, free col'd 3,987 , total,
Dorset, p-t., Bennington co., Vt., 95 s. s. w. Montpelier, 435
W. Organized in 1769. Drained by Pawlet, Battenkill, and the
head branches of Otter cr., which afford water power. The
surface is uneven, and the soil fertile. There is a noted cave
in the s. part of the town. It has 4 stores, cap. $12,650; 2
furnaces, 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$36,365. 12 sch. 431 scholars. Pop. 1,426.
Doty's Corners, p-o., Dansville t., Steuben co., N. Y., 245 w.
Albany, 326 W.
Double Branches, p-o., Anderson dist., S. C., 128 w. n. w.
Columbia, 523 W.
Double Branches, p-o., Lincoln co., Ga., 108 n. e.
Milledgeville, 576 W.
Double Bridges, p-o., Lunenburg co., Va., 85 s. w. Richmond, 193
Double Cabins, p-o., Henry co., Ga., 76 w. n. w. Milledgeville,
Double Pike Creek, p-o., Carroll co., Md., 82 n. w. Annapolis,
Double Springs, p-o., Cherokee co., Ala., 123 n. e. Tuscaloosa,
716 W. Situated on the w. bank of Coosa river.
Double Springs, p-o., Oktibbeha co., Miss., 128 n. e. Jackson,
Double Walnut, p-o., Jackson co., Tenn., 75 e. Nashville, 619 W.
Double Wells, p-o., Warren co., Ga., 58 e. n. e. Milledgeville,
Douglass, p-t., Worcester co., Mass., 43 s. w. Boston, 396 W.
Incorporated in 1731. Drained by Mumford r., a branch of
Blackstone r., which affords good water power. It has fertile
meadows, and is well cultivated. Some iron ore is found, and
there are considerable manufactures of cotton goods, boots,
shoes, leather, axes, &c It has 4 stores, cap. $7,500; 2 cotton
fac. 400 sp., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$130,400. 1 acad. 35 students, 9 sch. 481 scholars. Pop. 1,617.
Douglass, t., Berks co., Pa. The surface is undulating; soil,
gravel, and moderately fertile. Watered by Manatawny cr., which
affords water power. It has 2 stores, cap. $3,500; 1 furnace, 1
forge, 1 fulling m., 4 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 oil m, Cap. in
manufac $650, Pop. 1,133.
Douglass, t., Montgomery county, Pa. Surface, hilly; soil, red
shale. Watered by Perkiomen and Swamp crs., which afford water
power. It has 3 stores, cap. 814,500; 1 paper fac., 3 grist; m.,
5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,150. 1 sch. 40 scholars. Pop.
Douglassville, p-v., Douglass t., Berks co.. Pa., 64 e.
Harrisburg, 157 W.
Douthet, p-o., Anderson dist., S. C, 126 w. n. w. Columbia, 522
Dover, p-t., capital of Piscatiquis co., Me., 83 n. n. e.
Augusta, 680 W. Situated on the s. side of Piscatiquis r.
Incorporated in 1822. The soil is fertile, producing good wheat.
The v. is beautifully located. It has 2 printing offices, 2
weekly newspapers, 5 grist m., 8 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in
manufac. $9,000. 12 sch. 733 scholars. Pop. 1,597.
Dover, p-t., Strafford co., N. H., 39 e. Concord, 495 W.
Dover, p-t., and capital of Strafford co., N. H., is situated on
the w. side of Piscataqua r., in 43° 13' n. lat. 70° 54' w.
Ion., 12 n. w. by n. Portsmouth, 39 e. Concord, 50 s. w.
Portland, 60 n. Boston, 495 W. Pop. 1820, 2,871; 1830, 5,449;
1840, 6,458. It is watered by Cocheco and Black rivers,
tributaries of the Piscataqua. It is the oldest town in the
state, the first settlement having been made in 1623, on a
beautiful peninsula, between Black and Piscataqua rivers, for
the purposes of fishing. The beautiful village of Dover is built
around the lower falls of Cocheco, where the water descends
suddenly 32½ feet, producing a water power unsurpassed in New
England. The water is abundant, and the river never rises so as
to endanger the buildings on it. These falls are at the head of
tide water,l2 miles from the ocean, admitting gondolas quite to
the mills, and sloops within a quarter of a mile. It has a court
house, jail, a bank, several churches, and extensive
manufactures. It is one of the most flourishing towns in the
state, and considerable shipping is owned here. There were in
1840, 60 stores, cap. 8248,531; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, cap.
$20,000; 4 cotton fac. 28,666 sp., 1 dyeing and printing
establishment, with a cap. of $1,056,000; 3 furnaces, 2
tanneries, 1 distillery, c ap. $10,833; 4 grist m., 3 saw m., 3
printing offices, 3 weekly newspapers, and 1 periodical. Total
cap. in manufac. $1,166,644. 3 acad. 93 students, 27 sch. 1,193
Dover, p-t., Windham co., Vt., 126 s. Montpelier, 437 W.
Organized from Wardsborough in 1810. Drained by branches of West
and Deerfield rivers, which afford water power. The surface is
uneven, and the soil adapted to grazing. It lies on the e.
border of the Green mountain range. It has 2 stores, cap.
$7,000; 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,300. 9 sch. 245
scholars. Pop. 729.
Dover, p-t., Norfolk co., Mass., 15 s. s. w. Boston, 5 w.
Dedham, 430 W. Organized from Dedham in 1784. The surface is
uneven, and contains much woodland. Charles r. runs on its N.
border. It has 1 store, 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,700. 3
sch. 117 scholars. Pop. 520.
Dover, p-t., Dutchess co., N. Y.,74 s. by e. Albany, 20 e.
Poughkeepsie, 313 W. The surface is in part mountainous. A
branch of Ten Mile creek, a tributary of the Housatonic river,
runs through its centre, along which is a fine valley. The soil
is a sandy and gravelly loam, which is fertile and well
cultivated. White and colored marble is extensively found, and
some iron ore. The village is on a beautiful plain, and contains
1 Baptist and 1 free church, an academy, 2 stores, 1 grist m., 1
tannery, 30 dwellings, and about 175 inhabitants. There are in
the t., 8 stores, cap. $19,000; 1 furnace, 3 fulling m., 2
tanneries, 2 flouring m., 4 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$19,200. 4 sch. 136 scholars. Pop. 2,000.
Dover, p-v., Randolph t, Morris co., N. J., 63 N. Trenton, 234
W. Situated on both sides of Rockaway river, and connected by
bridges. It contains 3 large rolling and slitting mills, an iron
foundry, a furnace, a saw m., a machine fac, a bank, a church,
and over 30 dwellings. The Morris canal descends into the valley
on which it stands, by an inclined plane and 4 locks. Iron ore
is found in the immediate vicinity.
Dover, t., Monmouth co., N. J., 24 s. Freehold. The surface is
generally level; soil, sand or light gravel, covered with pine
forest. Drained by Tom's r. and branches of Cedar cr.; Forked r.
and branches of Rancocus cr., which afford water power. It has
20 stores, cap. $45,500; 2 furnaces, 2 forges, 4 grist m., 6 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $1,900. 10 sch. 824 scholars. Pop. 2,752.
Dover, p-t., York co., Pa., 30 s. Harrisburg, 97 W. The surface
is hilly; soil, red shale. It has 3 stores, cap. $9,500; 1
tannery, 5 distilleries, 5 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$18,200. 4 sch. 146 scholars. Pop. 1,930.
Dover, t., Athens co., O. It has 6 stores, cap. $13,500; and an
incorporated library company. 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $900. 4 sch. 179 scholars. Pop. 1,297.
Dover, p-b., in Dover hundred. Capital of Kent co., Del., and of
the state, 50 s. Wilmington, 120 W. It is situated on high
ground, between the 2 principal branches of Jones's cr., 10
miles from its entrance into Delaware bay. It is regularly laid
out with wide streets, at right angles with each other; and the
houses, which are chiefly of brick, are generally neat and
hand-some. The state house stands on the E. side of a large
public square, and is an elegant build-ing; and the other public
buildings are built around the same square. It contains 3
churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, and 1 Methodist, a bank,
an academy, 6 stores, 90 dwellings, and about 600 inhabitants.
It has a splendid monument, erected to the memory of Col. John
Haslett, who fell in the battle of Princeton. Its trade is
chiefly in flour, with Philadelphia. There are in the h., 9
stores, cap. $25,100; 1 printing office, 1 periodical paper, 3
grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $16,200. 9 sch. 543
scholars. Pop. 3,790.
Dover, p-t., Cuyahoga co., O., 127 n. e. Columbus, 13 w.
Cleveland, 372 W. Situated on the s. shore of Lake Erie. It has
3 tanneries. Cap. in manufac. $900. 8 sch. 314 scholars. Pop.
Dover, t., Union co., O. It has 3 sch. 52 scholars. Pop. 446.
Dover, p-v., capital of Stewart co., Tenn., 75 w. n. w.
Nashville, 755 W. It is situated on the s. side of Cumberland r.
It contains a court house, and other county buildings.
Dover, t., Lafayette co., Mo. Pop. 1,217.
Dover, p-v., Mason county, Ky., 79 e. n. e. Frankfort, 471 W.
Dover, t., Lenawee co., Mich. It has 2 saw m., 10 sch. 340
scholars. Pop. 841.
Dover, p-v., Bureau co., Ill., 130 n Springfield, 813 W.
Dover, p-v., Lafayette co., Mo., 121 w. Jefferson city, 1,035 W.
Situated on the s. side of Missouri r. Pop. 1,217.
Dover, p-v., capital of Pope co., Ark., 87 n. w. Little Rock,
1,152 W. Situated on the e. side of Illinois cr., a branch of
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!