Dover, AL to Dunningsville, PA
Dover, p-v., Russel co., Ala., 194 e. s. e. Tuscaloosa, 767 W.
Dover, t., Tuscarawas co., Ohio. The village is situated on the
w. side of the Ohio canal, 93 s. Cleveland by the canal. It is
regularly laid out, with streets crossing each other at right
angles, on the margin of Tuscarawas r., across which and the
canal is a bridge 346 feet long. It has 2 churches, and about
100 dwellings. The t. has 10 stores, cap. $32,300; 6 com.
houses, cap.$20,500; 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 brewery, 1
flouring m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,550; 10 sch. 897
scholars. Pop. 2,247.
Dover Mills, p-o., Goochland co., Va., 20 vv. n. w. Richmond,
Dowelltown, p-v., Surry co., N. C., 151 w. n. w. Raleigh, 357 W.
Downe, t., Cumberland county, N. J., 14 s. e. Bridgeton. It has
Maurice r. on its e. border, and Delaware bay on the s. The
surface is level and marshy on the bay and Maurice r. Watered by
Dividing cr., and other small crs. It has several post-villages.
It has 4 stores, cap. $9,000; 7 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $20,850. 7 sch. 250 scholars. Pop. 1,920.
Downer's Grove, p-o., Dupage co., Ill., 184 n. Springfield, 739
Downingsville, p-o., Logan CO., O.
Downingtown, p-v., Chester co., Pa., 67 e. s. e. Harrisburg, 124
W. Situated on the w. bank of the e. branch of Brandywine cr. It
contains about 50 dwellings, mostly of stone, several stores,
and a number of mills and factories. 12 ms. below this place, on
the banks of this creek, the sanguinary battle of Brandywine was
fought, on Sept. 11th, 1777. The country around this place is
fertile and well cultivated.
Downington, p-o., Scipio t., Meigs co., Ohio, 83 s. e. Columbus,
Doylestown, p-b., capital of Bucks co., Pa., 100 e. Harrisburg,
162 W. It has an elevated and commanding situation, and contains
a court house, jail, and county offices, 3 churches, 1
Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, and 1 Friends, an academy, a female
seminary; 6 stores, cap. $33,000. Three English and 1 German
weekly newspapers are issued here. The surface of the t. is
rolling; soil, gravelly loam. It has, including the borough, 9
stores, cap. $33,800; 2 tanneries, 1 brewery, 4 printing
offices, 4 weekly newspapers, 1 flouring m., 4 grist m., 4 saw
m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $40,790. 5 acad. 106 students, 5
sch. 109 scholars. Pop. 2,127.
Dracut, p-t., Middlesex co., Mass., 27 n. n. w. Boston, 446 W.
Situated on the n. side of Merrimac r., opposite to Lowell, with
which it is connected by a bridge. Watered by Beaver r., which
affords water power. Incorporated in 1701. It has 6 stores, cap.
$9,800; 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,500. 1 acad.
126 students, 13 schools, 679 scholars. Pop. 2,188.
Drakestown, p-v., Morris co., N. J., 59 n. Trenton, 224 W.
Situated on Schooley's Mountain, and contains a store and 12 or
Drakesville, p-v., Fairfax co., Va., 140 n. Richmond, 21 W.
Draper's, p-o., Macon co., Ill., 53 e. Springfield, 730 W.
Draper's Valley, p-o., Wythe co., Va. 232 w. by s. Richmond, 300
Drapersville, p-o., Mecklenburg co., Va., 120 s. w. Richmond,
Drayton, p-v., Dooly County, Ga., 98 s. s. w. Milledgeville, 755
W. Situated on Pennehatchie cr., l¼ miles from its entrance into
Flint river. It contains about 15 families.
Draw Bridge, p-o., Sussex co., Del.
Draytonsville, p-v., Union dist., S. C, 97 n. w. Columbia, 454.
Dresden, p-t., Lincoln co.. Me., 15 s. Augusta, 9 n. Wiscasset,
600 W. Situated on the e. bank of Kennebec r. Incorporated in
1794. It is an agricultural t., with some trade on the r. It has
3 tanneries, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,900. 613
scholars in sch. Population, 1,647.
Dresden, p-v., Grundy co., Ill., 153 n. n. e. Springfield, 753
W. Situated at the junction of Kankakee and Des Plaines rivers,
on the line of the canal. It has a store and a number of
Dresden, p-t., Washington co., N. Y., 80 n. by e. Albany, 23 N.
Sandy Hill, 450 W. The surface is hilly and mountainous. It lies
between Lakes George and Champlain. It is mostly covered with
forests, unfit for cultivation, and abounds with bears, deer,
wolves, and other wild game. Some of its mountains are 1,200
feet above Lake Champlain. It has 19 saw r m., 9 sch. 153
scholars. Pop. 679.
Dresden, p-v., Jefferson t, Muskingum co., O., 69 e. Columbus,
344 W. Situated on Wakatomaka cr.. near its junction with the
Muskingum r., on a side-cut from the Ohio canal. It has a
church, several stores and warehouses, and is favorably situated
for business. Near the v. is 1 flouring m., and 1 saw m. It has
1 acad. 18 students, 1 sch. 43 scholars. Pop. 819.
Dresden, p-v., capital of Weakly co., Tenn., 122 w. by n.
Nashville, 808 W. Situated on one of the head branches of Obion
r. It contains a court house and several dwellings.
Dresden Mills, p-o., Lincoln co., Me., 17 s. Augusta, 598 W.
Drewersburg, p-o., Franklin co., Ia., 85 e. s. e. Indianapolis,
Drewrysville, p-v., Southampton co., Va., 78 s. s. e. Richmond,
Drewsville, p-v., Walpole t., Cheshire co., N. H., 62 w.
Concord, 450 W. It is pleasantly situated on the e. side of
Connecticut r., at Bellows falls. It has considerable
manufactures, and some trade.
Dripping Spring, p-o., Edmondson co., Ky., 130 s. w. Frankfort,
654 W. The springs in the vicinity are regarded as a curiosity.
Dromore, t, Lancaster co., Pa., 15 s. e. Lancaster. The surface
is rolling; soil, clay. Watered by Conewingo cr., which affords
water power. Susquehanna r. runs on its s. w. border. It has 18
stores, cap. $19,700; 1 tannery, 4 flouring m., 4 grist m., 5
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $16,500. 8 sch. 270 scholars. Pop.
Drowning Creek, p-o., Burke co., N. C., 182 w. Raleigh, 419 W.
Drury's Landing, p-o., Rock Island co., Ill., 171 n. n. w.
Springfield, 901 W.
Dryburg, p-o., Halifax co., Va., 129 n. Richmond, 27 W.
Dry Creek, p-o., Lancaster dist., S. C, 71 n. n. e. Columbia,
Dry Creek, p-o., Campbell co., Ky., 79 n. n. e. Frankfort, 499
Dry Creek, p-o., Covington co., Miss.
Dryden, p-t., Tompkins co., N. Y., 153 w. by s. Albany, 307 W.
The surface is undulating, rising into hills to the s.; soil, a
fertile gravelly loam. Drained by Fall cr., with its branches,
which flow into Cayuga lake. The v. is situated on Virgil cr.,
and contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist church, a
flourishing high school, 3 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 2
tanneries, 1 clothier's works, and about 500 inhabitants. Pop.
of the t. 5,446. It has 5 stores, cap. $29,000; 2 fulling m., 3
tanneries, 3 distilleries, 1 paper fac, 1 rope fac, 9 grist m.,
40 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $30,325. 35 sch. 1,809 scholars.
Dryden, t., Lapeer co., Mich. It has 1 acad. 20 students, 2 sch.
57 scholars. Pop. 805.
Dry Fork, p-o., Carter co., Ky., 152 e. Frankfort, 415 W.
Dry Forks, p-o., Ralls co., Mo., 93 n. n. e. Jefferson city, 920
Dry Hill, p-o., Lauderdale co., Tenn.
Dry Pond, p-o., Lincoln co., N. C, 159 w. by s. Raleigh, 396 W.
Dry Ridge, p-o., Hamilton co., O., 126 s. w. Columbus, 500 W.
Dry Ridge, p-v., Grant co., Ky., 53 n. n. e. Frankfort, 525 W.
Dry Run, p-o., Franklin co., Pa., 67 n. s. w. Harrisburg, 115 W.
Duane, p-t., Franklin co., N. Y., 15 s. Malone, 189 n. by w.
Albany, 533 W. The s. part was erected into a t. in 1841, by the
name of Harrietsburg. The settlements are chiefly in the n.
part. The surface is uneven, and the soil a fertile sandy loam.
Iron ore of a superior quality is found here, capable of
producing the finest steel for edge tools. Watered by branches
of Salmon r. The v. contains 1 store, a blast furnace and forge,
1 scythe fac, 2 saw m., and about 25 dwellings. Pop. of the t.
324. It has 2 furnaces, 1 forge, 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $4,500. 3 sch. 69 scholars.
Duanesburg, p-t., Schenectady co., N. Y., 23 w. by n. Albany, 12
s. w. Schenectady, 393 W. The surface is elevated and hilly; and
the soil clay loam. Drained by Schoharie cr., and some other
small branches of the Mohawk r., which afford water power. It
has 7 stores, cap. $23,000; 6 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 3 grist
m., 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac S4,350. 23 sch. 641 scholars. Pop.
Dublin, p-t., Cheshire co., N. H., 47 s. w. Concord, 10 e. by s.
Keene, 447 W. Situated on the height of land between Connecticut
and Merrimac rivers. Some of its streams enter the Ashuelot, a
tributary of the former, and some into the Contoocook, a
tributary of the latter. A considerable portion of Grand
Monadnock mountain lies in this t. The soil is well adapted to
grazing. A fund of $8,000 was bequeathed to the public schools,
and of $5,000 to the Congregational church, for the support of
its pastor, by a clergyman. It has 2 stores, cap. $2,300; 5
fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $80,400. 10 sch. 388 scholars. Pop. 1,075.
Dublin, p-v., Bucks co., Pa., 106 e. Harrisburg, 168 W.
Dublin, t., Bedford co., Pa., 25 e. Bedford. The surface is
level; soil, calcareous loam. Drained by the head waters of
Licking cr., and by Wooden Bridge and Little Augwick creeks. It
has 3 stores, cap. $3,800; 1 tannery. Cap. in manufac. $700.
Dublin, p-v., Hartford co., Md., 68 n. Anna-polis, 78 W. It
contains a Methodist church, and about 15 dwellings.
Dublin, t., Huntingdon co., Pa., 21 s. e. Huntingdon b. The
surface is mountainous; soil, clay. Drained by Shade and Little
Augwick creeks. It has 1 store, cap. $6,000; 1 fulling m., 3
tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac
$8,840. Pop. 653.
Dublin, p-v., Washington t., Franklin co., O., 12 n. n. w.
Columbus, 405 W. Situated on elevated ground on the w. bank of
Scioto r. Organized in 1818. It contains a store, and a number
of mills on the r.
Dublin, t., Mercer co., O. It contains the villages of
Shanesville and Milan.,
Dublin, p-v., Graves co., Ky., 235 w s. w. Frankfort, 812 W.
Dublin, p-v., capital of Laurens co., Ga., 79 s. s. e.
Milledgeville, 690 W. Situated on w. side of the Oconee r. It
contains a court house, jail, an academy, a Baptist church, and
about 40 dwellings.
Dublin, p-v., Wayne co., Ia., 50 e. Indianapolis, 521 W.
Situated 2 ms. w. of White Water r., on the national road.
Dubois, County, la. Situated in the s. w. part
of the state, and contains 432 sq. ms. Organized in 1817.
Watered by the e. fork of White r., which forms its n. boundary,
Patoka and Huntley's creeks, Strait r., and some others. The
surface is rolling, and, in some parts, hilly, and the soil is
good. Capital, Jasper. There were in 1340, neat cattle 3,578,
sheep 3,794. swine 11,552; wheat 11,822 bush, produced, Ind.
corn 122,173, oats 17,333, potatoes 7,390, sugar 6,374 pounds;
14 stores, cap. $27,450; 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $3,000. 1 acad. 75 students, 2 sch. 50 scholars.
Pop. 1830, 1,778; 1840, 3,632.
Dubourg, p-o., St. James par., La., 49 w. New Orleans.
Dubuque, County, Iowa. Situated in the n. e.
part of the ter . It has the Mississippi r. on its n. e. border.
Watered on the N. by Turkey r., on the s. by branches of the n.
fork of Macoquetais r., and in the central part by Little
Macoquetais river, and several small creeks, which flow into the
Mississippi. Capital, Dubuque. There were in 1840, neat cattle
2,175, sheep 36, swine 4,808; wheat 10,799 bush, produced, rye
715, Ind. corn 16,762, buckwheat 850, oats 17,951, potatoes
49,195; 11 smelting houses produced 500,000 pounds lead; 30
stores, cap. $123,300; 1 distillery, 2 flouring m., 1 grist m.,
3 saw m., 1 print-ing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in
manufac. $6,000. 2 sch. 60 scholars. Pop. 3,059.
Dubuque, p-v., Dubuque co., Iowa. Situated on the w. bank of the
Mississippi r., 1,605 above n. Orleans, 424 above St. Louis, 324
below the Falls of St. Anthony, 900 W. It is built on a table
area or terrace, which extends along the r. for several miles.
It is regularly laid out and handsomely built, and is the
commercial centre of the mineral region. It contains the
surveyor-general's office for Wisconsin and Iowa, the land
office for the n. district of Iowa, 4 or 5 churches, one of them
a large stone Roman Catholic cathedral, a bank, of brick,
several spacious brick warehouses, an academy, a lyceum, a
reading room, a printing office, which issues a weekly
newspaper, about 30 wholesale and retail stores, 12 grocery
stores, several hardware, crockery, glass, and tin stores, and
numerous mechanic shops, and a population of about 1,300. Lead
ore is found in abundance within the corporate limits of the
city, and for miles around on every side.
Duchanynet, t., Allen co., O. Pop. 709.
Duck Branch, p-o., Barnwell dist., S. C, 105 s. by w. Columbia,
Duck Creek, p-o., Brown co., Wis. ter., 167 n. n. e. Madison,
Duck Creek, hundred, Kent co., Del. It has 13 stores, cap.
$70,000; 5 lumber yards, cap. $5,200; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen
fac, 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $48,200. 8
sch. 540 scholars. Pop. 3,839.
Dudley, p-t., Worcester co., Ms., 58 s. w. Boston, 391 W.
Watered by Quinnebaug and French rivers, which afford good water
power, Incorporated in 1731. It has a pond in its s. e. corner,
nearly five miles long. It has 4 stores, cap. $10,000; 5 woolen
fac, 1 tannery, 2 grist m, 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $131,430. 1
acad. 125 students, 8 sch. 443 scholars. Pop. 1,352.
Dudley, p-t., Hardin co., O., 66 N. N. w. Columbus, 437 W. The
soil is fertile, and particularly adapted to grazing. It has 1
store, cap. $2,500; 2 sch. 35 scholars. Pop. 349.
Dudley, p-o., Wayne co., N. C., 59 s. e. Raleigh, 289 W.
Dudley, t., Henry co., Ia. It has 6 sch. 126 scholars. Pop.
Dudleyville, p-v., Tallapoosa co., Ala., 152 e. s. e.
Tuscaloosa, 781 W. Situated 5 ms. s. e. of Tallapoosa r.
Due West Corner, p-o., Abbeville dist., S. Carolina.
Duff's Forks, p-o., Madison t., Fayette co., O., 36 s. w.
Columbus, 417 W. It contains a store and Methodist church, and a
Dugger's Ferry, p-o., Carter co., Tenn., 314 e. by n. Nashville,
Dukedom, p-o., Weakley co., Tenn., 130 w. Nashville, 816 W.
Dukes, County, Ms., consists of the islands of
Martha's Vineyard, Chappaquiddic, Elizabeth Islands, and No
Man's land, lying s. E. of Buzzards bay. Martha's Vineyard, the
largest island, including Chippiquiddic, is divided into 3
townships. It was first settled in 1641. Capital, Edgarton.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 233, sheep 8,160, swine 867;
wheat 692 bush, produced, rye 965, Ind. corn 7,604, oats 1,746.
potatoes 10,041, salt 1,330; 29 stores, cap. $51,600; 1 lumber
yard, cap. $4,000; cap. invested in fisheries, $161,250; 1
fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 7 grist m. Cap. in manufac.
$57,620. 2 acad. 70 students, 23 sch. 1,743 scholars. Pop. 1830,
Dukes, p-o., Putnam co., O., 106 x. n. vv. Columbus, 471 W.
Dumas' Store, p-o., Richmond co., N. C, 131 s. w. Raleigh, 405
Dumfries, p-v., Prince William co., Va., 86 n. by e. Richmond,
33 W. Situated on the n. side of Quantico cr., a branch of the
Potomac. It contains 2 churches, 1 Baptist and 1 Methodist, 1
flouring m., 1 woolen fac, and several mechanics. The mouth of
the Quantico, 2i ms. below Dumfries, is the best winter harbor
on the Potomac, seldom obstructed by ice.
Dummer, t., Coos co., N. H. Situated in the n. part of the
state. Watered by Ammonoosuc r. which flows into the Connecticut
r., and the Androscoggin r., which flows through Maine into the
Atlantic Chartered in 1773. It is a remote and unimportant town,
and has 1 grist m., and 1 saw m., 1 sch. 22 scholars. Pop. 57.
Dummerston, p-t., Windham co., Vt., 115 s. by e. Montpelier, 428
W. The surface is hilly and rough, but adapted to grazing.
Watered by West r., and some smaller streams, which afford good
mill seats. Connecticut r. bounds it on the E This t. was one of
the earliest settled in the state. Fort Dummer, which was within
the adjoining t. of Brattleboro, was founded in 1625; and this
place is noted in early Indian warfare. It has 2 stores, cap.
$12,000; 5 grist m., 5 saw m., 9 sch. 275 scholars. Pop. 757.
Dumontville, p-o., Fairfield co., O., 32 s. e. Columbus, 330 W.
Dunbar, t., Fayette co., Pa., 8 n. e. Union. The surface is
rolling; soil, calcareous loam. Youghiogheny r. runs on its e.
border, and receives Dunbar rim, which affords water power. It
has 5 stores, cap. $19,560; 2 fulling m., 3 woolen fac, 2
tanneries, 1 distillery, 2 flouring m., 6 grist m., 9 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $90,i08. 7 sch. 431 scholars. Pop. 2,07.).
Dunbarton, p-t., Merrimac co., N. H., 10 s. by w. Concord, 474
W. The surface is elevated, but not hilly; the soil is fertile,
and the water good. It is a fine farming town. Chartered in
1751. It has 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$2,300. 9 sch. 249 scholars. Pop. 950.
Dunbarton, p o., Meigs t., Adams co., O., 96 s. by w. Columbus,
Duncan, p-o., Wood co., Va., 331 w. n. w. Richmond, 299 W.
Duncan t., Linn co.. Mo. Pop. 198.
Duncan's Creek, p-o., Cleveland co., N. C, 204 w. by s. Raleigh,
Duncan's Falls, p-o., Muskingum co., O., 62 e. Columbus, 347 W.
A dam across the Muskingum here affords great water power.
Duncansville, p o., Huntingdon co., Pa., 120 w. Harrisburg, 163
Duncansville, p-v., Barnwell dist., S. C, 80 s. s. w. Columbia,
Duncansville, p-v., Thomas co., Ga., 227 s. s. w. Milledgeville,
884 W. Situated 2 ms. n. of the Florida line.
Duncantown, p-o., Mantua v., White co., Ill., 172 s. e.
Springfield, 735 W.
Duncard, t., Greene co., Pa. It has 3 stores, cap. $6,600; 2
fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 5 distilleries, 5 grist m.,
6 saw m., 2 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $10,895. 5 sch. 120
scholars. Pop. 1,292.
Dundaff, p-b., Susquehanna co., Pa., 166 n. n. e. Harrisburg,
270 W. It contains 1 Presbyterian church, 3 stores, an academy,
a glass fac, and 40 dwellings. The t. has 5 stores, cap.
$12,900; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist m. Cap. in manufac
$15,200. 2 sch. 70 scholars. Pop. 304.
Dundee, p-o., Kane co., 111.
Dundee, p-t., Monroe co., Mich., 54 s. w. Detroit, 503 W. The v.
is situated on the Raisin r., 18 from Lake Erie. It contains 3
churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist. 1 Methodist, 1 stores, and
several mechanic shops. There are in the t. 1 grist m., 2 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $8,000. 8 sch. 165 scholars. Pop. 773.
Dungannon, p-v., Hanover t., Columbiana co., O., 142 n. e.
Columbus, 237 W. Pop. 47.
Dunkirk, p-v., Pomfret t., Chautauque co., N. Y.. 326 w.
Albany., 348 W. Situated on Lake Erie. The harbor has been
improved, and has a depth of 12 feet of water over the bar. It
is much resorted to in bad weather. The v. was incorporated in
1837. It contains 2 churches, 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist, an
academy, 10 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 saw m. At this place the
New York and Erie railroad is designed to terminate. Distance to
New York by the railroad 470.
Dunkley's Grove, p-o., Dupage co., Ill., 218 N. n. e.
Springfield, 733 W.
Dunlap, p-o., Hamilton co., O., Ill s. w. by w. Columbus, 499 W.
Dunlapsville, p-o., Laurens co., S. C.
Dunlapsville, p-v., Union co., Ia., 60 e. Indianapolis, 517 W.
Situated on w. side of the e. branch of White Water r.
Dunnsburg, p-v., Clinton co.. Pa., 109 n. n. w. Harrisburg, 201
W. Situated on the n. bank of the w. branch of Susquehanna r.,
opposite the mouth of Bald Eagle cr.
Dunn's Corner, p-o., Kennebec co., Me., 10 Augusta, 605 W.
Dunnsville, p-v., Essex co., Va., 56 n. e. Richmond, 118 W. ,
Dunningsville, p-v., Washington co., Pa., 190 w. Harrisburg, 226
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!