Eastville AL to Edwards, NY
Eastville, p-v., Randolph co., Ala., 170 e. Tuscaloosa, 741 W. .
East Wareham, p-v., Wareham t., Plymouth co., Mass., 56 s.
Boston, 449 W.
East Washington, p-v., Washington t., Sullivan co., N. H.
East Waterford, p-v., Lack t., Juniata co., Pa., 51 n. w.
Harrisburg, 133 W. Situated on Tuscarora cr.
East Weare, p-v., Weare t., Hillsboro' co., N. H., 10 s. w.
Concord, 479 W.
East Weymouth, p-v., Weymouth t., Norfolk co., .Mass., 15 s. by
e. Boston, 449 W.
Kast Whateley, p-v., Whateley t., Franklin co., Mass., 91 w. by
n. Boston, 390 W.
East Whiteland, t., Chester co., Pa., 20 n. w. Philadelphia. The
surface is level; soil, a fertile calcareous loam, well
cultivated. It has 4 stores, cap. $16,000; 1 lumber yard, cap.
$3,000; 2 tanneries, 2 flouring m., 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $12,253. 1 acad. 21 students, 4 sch. 160 scholars. Pop.
East Williamstown, p-o., Williamstown t., Orange co., Vt., 12 s.
by e. Montpelier, 514 W.
East Wilton, p-o., Wilton t., Franklin co., Me., 37 n. w.
Augusta, 615 W.
East Wilton, p-o., Wilton t., Hillsboro' co., N. H., 33 s. s. w.
Concord, 456 W.
East Windsor, p-t., Hartford co., Ct., 7 N. e. Hartford, 313 W.
Situated on the e. side of Connecticut r. The surface is level;
soil, sandy or gravelly loam. The meadows on the r. comprise
more than 2,030 acres, of great fertility. The e. and N. parts
of the t. produce excellent rye. The v. is on a single, very
extended street, a mile back from the r., running parallel with
it. Scantic r. runs through the N. part of the t. It contains 7
churches, 2 Congregational, 2 Methodist, 1 Episcopal, and 1
Baptist. Here is located the ''Theological Institute of
Connecticut," under the direction of the Congregationalists, to
which is attached a farm of 60 acres, and a workshop furnished
with tools, for manual labor. It was founded in 1834, has 3
professors, 39 students, (37 have completed their theological
education,) and has a library of 4,000 volumes. The building is
of brick, 4 stories high. There are in the t. 13 stores, cap.
$26,800; 5 fulling m., 3 woolen fac, 4 distilleries, 1 paper
fac, 4 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $129,300. 1 college,
39 students, 4 acad. 106 students, 22 sch. 962 scholars. Pop.
East Windsor Hill, p-o., East Windsor t., Hartford co., Ct., 11
n. e. Hartford, 347 W.
East Windsor, t., Mercer co., N. J., 20 s. w. New Brunswick. The
surface is level; soil, sandy and gravelly loam, and not very
fertile. Drained by Millstone r. in the n. e., and Assunpink and
3Iiry run in the s. w. It contains Hightstown and several other
villages. It has 4 stores, cap. $3,100; 1 tannery, 2
distilleries, 3 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $15,965. 6
sch. 167 scholars. Pop. 1,939.
East Winthrop, p-o., Winthrop t., Kennebec co., Me., 6 w.
Augusta, 600 W.
East Worcester, p-v., Worcester t., Otsego co., N. Y., 53
Albany, 375 W. It contains 1 Baptist and 1 Methodist church, 3
stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 fulling m., 25 dwellings, and
about 150 inhabitants.
Eaton, county, Mich. Centrally situated in the settled part of
the peninsula, and contains 576 sq. ms. Organized in 1837.
Watered by Grand and Thornapple rivers, and Battle Creek. The
surface is undulating, and the soil very fertile. It has
quarries of sandstone and limestone. Capital, Charlotte. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 2,102, sheep 103, swine 3,183; wheat
15,896 bush, produced, Ind. corn 14,492, oats 11,209, potatoes
22,913, sugar 74,849 pounds; 4 stores, cap. $9,500; 2 lumber
yards, cap. $1,000; 3 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$20,000. Pop. 2,379.
Eaton, p-t., Carroll co., N. H., 62 n. by E. Concord, 546 W. The
surface is in part uneven, and moderately good. Pine grows on
the plains, on light land. Chartered in 1776. Iron ore is found.
It has several considerable ponds, the outlet of several of
which forms Pigwacket river, flowing into Swift r., on the n.,
and a larger one on the s., which flows into Ossipee lake. There
are 4 stores, cap. $2,500; 4 grist m., 4 saw m., 18 sch. 748
scholars. Pop. 1,710.
Eaton, p-t., Madison co., N. Y., 103 w. by n. Albany, 359 W. The
surface is rolling; soil, a fertile gravelly loam and clay.
Drained by the head waters of Chenango r. It contains the
village of Morrisville, the capital of the co. Another v., of
its own name, contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Baptist church, 5
stores, 1 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac, 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 1
distillery, 1 furnace, 1 tannery, 1 scythe fac , 100 dwellings,
and about 630 inhabitants. There are in the t. 13 stores, cap.
$47,820; 2 fulling m., 4 woolen fac, 2 cotton fac. 744 sp., 2
furnaces, 4 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 1 printing office, 1
weekly newspaper, 2 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufactures
$94,550. 2 acad. 79 scholars, 24 sch. 1,031 scholars. Pop.
Eaton, p-t., Wyoming co., Pa., 143 N. E. by n. Harrisburg, 251
W. The surface is hilly and mountainous, lying on the Alleghany
range. The soil is moderately fertile. Bowman's cr. flows
through it into the Susquehanna, which bounds it on the e. and
n. e. An eminence, called the Knob, on Susquehanna River, rises
1,150 feet above the surface of the r. It has 2 fulling m., 2
grist m., 3 saw m. Capital in manufactures $82,100. 5 sch. 169
scholars. Pop. 732.
Eaton, p-v., capital of Preble co., O., 94 w. Columbus, 437 W.
It is pleasantly situated on the E. side of St. Clair's or Seven
Mile cr., which here has a fall of 20 feet in 80 rods, affording
good water power. It contains a court house, jail, 3 public
offices, 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, and 1 common
to various denominations, 15 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1
fulling m., 1 carding machine, 2 tanneries, 1 printing office,
about 150 dwellings, and 1,000 inhabitants.
Eaton, p-t., Eaton co., Mich., 110 w. by n. Detroit, 530 W. The
soil is fertile, adapted to grain. It has 1 store, cap. $3,000;
1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,530. Pop. 808.
Eaton, t., Lorain co., O., 4 s. e. Elyria, is a respectable
farming t. It has 5 sch. 146 scholars. Pop. 746.
Eaton, p-v., Gibson co., Tenn., 142 w. Nashville, 825 W.
Situated on the e. side of Forked Deer r.
Eaton, p-v., La Fayette co., Miss., 176 n. by e. Jackson, 927 W.
Eaton Rapids, p-o., Eaton co., Mich., 106 w. by n. Detroit, 576
Eatonton, or Eaton C. H., p-v., capital of Putnam co., Ga., 71
n. w. Milledgeville, 627 W. It contains a court house, jail, 1
church, 2 acad., 8 stores, 65 dwellings, and about 800
Eatontown, p-v., Shrewsbury t., Monmouth co., N. J., 47 E.
Trenton, 213 W. Situated on a branch of Swimming r., and
contains 1 Presbyterian church, an academy, 6 stores, 1 grist
m., and about 30 or 40 dwellings. It is surrounded by a pleasant
and fertile country.
Eatonville, p-v.. Herkimer t., Herkimer co., N. Y., 75 w. n. w.
Albany, 394 W.
Eavesville, p-o., Lincoln co., N. C.
Ebenezer, p-v., Rutherford co., N. C, 213 w. by s. Raleigh, 450
Ebenezer, p-o., Morgan co., Ga., 51 n. n. w. Milledgeville, 635
Ebenezer, v., Effingham co., Ga. It is situated on the w. side
of Savannah r., about 25 ms. N. of Savannah. It has a large
house of worship, and a few dwellings, much dilapidated.
Ebenezekville, p-v., York disk, S. C., 84 N. Columbia, 442 W.
Ebensburg, p-b., capital, Cambria co., Pa., 139 w. by n.
Harrisburg, 182 W. It has an elevated and commanding situation
on the Alleghany mountains. It contains a brick court house and
county offices, 3 churches - 1 Presbyterian, 1 Congregational,
and 1 Roman Catholic, 1 academy, of brick, and 7 stores. It has
2 sch. 80 scholars. Pop. 353.
Eckford, p-t., Calhoun co., Mich., 101 w. Detroit, 552 W. It has
a fertile soil, adapted to grain, and contains 1 saw m., 9 sch.
182 scholars. Pop. 555.
Eckmansville, p-v., Adams co., O., 100 s. by w. Columbus, 455 W.
Economy, p-t., Beaver co., Pa., 217 w. by n. Harrisburg, 243 W.
Situated on the e. side of Ohio r. This singular settlement
consists of Germans from Swabia, who, after two removals, have
settled down in this place. The v. is regularly laid out on 2
streets, parallel to the river, and 4 crossing them at right
angles, and contains an elegant church, a woolen and cotton
factory, of brick, 1 store, a steam saw m., of brick, a
distillery, a tannery, a concert hall, museum of natural
curiosities and minerals, a mathematical drawing school and
library, 100 dwellings, and 500 inhabitants. They hold their
property in common, and were founded by Mr. George Rapp, who
acted as patriarch and priest of the colony. There are in the t.
4 stores, cap. $7,500; 1 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac. 1,600 sp., 1
tannery, 2 distilleries, 1 brewery, 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $72,050. 4 sch. 145 scholars. Pop. 1,283.
Economy, p-o., Wayne co., Ia., 76 e. Indianapolis, 521 W.
Ecorce, p-t., Wayne co., Mich. It has 1 saw m., 3 sch. 114
scholars. Pop. 733.
Eddington, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., 6 n. e. Bangor, 73 e. n. e.
Augusta, 663 W. Penobscot r. flows on its n. w. border. The soil
is fertile, adapted to grain. It has a v. pleasantly situated on
the Penobscot. It has 1 fulling m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$8,000. 261 scholars in schools. Pop. 595.
Eddyville, p-v., Caldwell co., Ky., 237 w. s. w. Frankfort, 769
W. It is situated on the e. side of Cumberland r.
Eddyville, v., Kingston t., Ulster co., N. Y. Situated on the N.
side of Rondout r., which affords good water power, at the head
of tide water. It contains 1 church, 4 stores, 3 freighting
establishments, 1 cotton fac, 2 hydraulic cement m., 1 grist m.,
1 dyewood m., 50 dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants. It has 20
sloops engaged in transportation. The Delaware and Hudson canal
terminates at this place.
Eddytown, v., Starkie t,., Yates co., N. Y., contains 1
Presbyterian church, 3 stores, 1 tannery, 30 dwellings, and
about 150 inhabitants.
Eden, p-t., Hancock co., Me., 101 e. Augusta, 683 W. Situated in
the n. part of Mount Desert Island. Organized in 1795. It is
surrounded on 3 sides by Frenchman's bay, and Mount Desert
sound, and has fine harbors. Several islands lie at the entrance
of the sound, the largest of which is Cranberry Island, so
called from the abundance of that fruit which it yields. The
soil of the t. is fertile, and the inhabitants are extensively
engaged in the fisheries. It has 2 stores, cap. $3,000; 2 grist
m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,100. 12 sch. 456 scholars. Pop.
Eden, p-t., Lamoille co., Vt., 45 n. Montpelier, 559 W.
Chartered in 1781, and given to Col. Seth Warner, and his
associates, officers and soldiers of the revolutionary war.
Watered by branches of Lamoille r., which afford water power. It
has a pond 2 miles long. The surface is mountainous; soil well
adapted to grazing. It has 1 store, cap. $3,500; 1 fulling m., 1
grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,800. 8 sch. 211 scholars.
Eden, p-t., Erie co., N. Y., 14 s. Buffalo, 306 w. Albany, 370
W. The surface is undulating; soil, a fertile gravelly loam and
clay. Drained by Cauquaga and Big Two Sisters creeks, which flow
into Lake Erie. It has 3 stores, cap. $4,250; 1 fulling m., 1
tannery, 2 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,500. 7 sen.
224 scholars. Pop. 2,174.
Eden, p-o., Venango co., Pa., 192 w. n. w Harrisburg, 281 W.
Eden, p-o., Trumbull co., O.
Eden, t., Licking co., O. Pop. 853.
Eden, t., Seneca co., O., 8 s. Tiffin. It is situated on Honey
cr. It has 5 stores, cap. $2,760; 1 distillery, 1 pottery, 3
grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,025. 9 sch. 293 scholars.
Eden, p-o., Laurens disk, S. C.
Eden, p-o., Effingham co., Ga., 133 E. s. E. Milledgeville, 680
Eden, p-o., Hancock co., Ia., 23 e. Indianapolis, 559 W.
Eden, p-o., Lawrence co., Ill., 149 s. e. Springfield, 715 W.
Eden, t., La Grange co., Ia. It has 1 sch. 40 scholars. Pop.
Eden's Ridge, p-o., Sullivan co., Tenn., 279 E. Nashville, 403
Edenton, p-v., capital of Chowan co., N. C, 66 s. Norfolk, 182
e. by N. Raleigh, 274 W. Situated near the mouth of Chowan r.,
at the head of Edenton bay, which sets up from Albemarle sound.
It contains an elegant court house, a jail, 2 churches, a bank,
an academy, and a printing office. Considerable shipping is
Edenville, p-v., Warwick t., Orange co., N. Y., 119 s. by w.
Albany, 267 W. It contains 1 Methodist church, 2 stores, 25
dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants.
Edgar, County, Ill. Situated in the e. part of the state, and
contains 600 sq. ms. Drained by Big, Brulette's, and Clear
creeks, and Little Embarrass r. The soil is generally fertile.
Capital, Paris. There were in 1840, neat cattle 11,627, sheep
10,554, swine 27,557; wheat 40,870 bush, produced, rye 2,346,
Indian corn 547,433, oats 113,848, potatoes 22,053, sugar 40,465
pounds; 16 stores, cap. $56,300; 8 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 9
grist m., 9 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap.
in manufac. $26,049. Pop. 8,225.
Edgarton, p-t., port of entry, capital of Dukes co., Ms., 97 s.
s. e. Boston, 979 W. Situated on the e. part of Martha's
Vineyard. The surface is mostly level, with a few elevations.
The v, is pleasantly situated on the w. side of the harbor, and
contains a court house, and 3 churches, 1 Congregational, 1
Baptist, and 1 Methodist. The harbor is sale and excellent. It
has 7 whale ships, 2 schooners, and 8 or 10 sloops. There are in
the t. 21 stores, cap. $30,400; 1 lumber yard, cap. $4,000. Cap.
in manufac. $54,000. 1 acad. 30 students, 13 sch. 538 scholars.
Edgecomb, p-t., Lincoln co., Me., 32 s. s. e. Augusta, 593 W. It
is situated between Damariscotta r. on the e., and Sheepscot r.
on the w., and lies opposite to Wiscasset, which is situated at
the mouth of the Sheepscot. It has considerable navigation
employed in the coasting trade and the fisheries. Ship building
is a considerable business. It has 3 stores, cap. $2,500; 1
full-ing m., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$4,800; 4 sch. 541 scholars. Population, 1,238.
Edgecombe, County, N. C. Situated centrally toward the e. part
of the state, and contains 650 sq. ms. Neuse r. runs on its s.
w. border. Watered by Tar r. and its branches. The surface is
level; soil, moderately fertile. Capital, Tarboro. There were in
1840, neat cattle 6,380, swine 37,521; wheat 14,295 bush,
produced, rye 3,200, Ind. corn 715,660, oats 27,280, potatoes
86,500, cotton 2,445,000 pounds; 15 stores, cap. $8,500; 1
cotton fac. 1,100 sp., 86 distilleries, 1 flouring m., 9 grist
m., 7 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 periodical, 1 weekly
newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $65,250. 1 acad. 28 students, 13
sch. 285 scholars. Pop. whites 7,915, slaves | 7,439, free col'd
354; total, 15,708.
Edgecomb's Corners, p-o., Galway t., Saratoga co., N. Y.
Edgefield, dist., S. C. Situated in the w. part of the state,
and contains 1,680 sq. ms. Saluda r. runs on its n. e. border,
and Savannah r. on its s. w. Drained by Little Saluda r. and
Stephens' cr. The surface is moderately uneven; soil not very
fertile, but well adapted to cotton, of which it produces
annually 35,000 bales. Capital, Edgefield. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 36,339, sheep 15,324, swine 62,184; wheat 40,295
bush, produced, rye 3,023, Ind. corn 1,063,521, oats 120,334,
potatoes 62,069, cot-ton 7,613,125 pounds; 6 commercial and com.
houses, cap. $26,000; 39 stores, cap. $205,500; 1 cotton fac.
2,000 sp., 8 tanneries, 80 grist m., 52 I saw m., 2 printing
offices, 2 weekly newspapers. 1 Cap. in manufac. $127,175. 1
acad. 65 students, 5 sch. 152 scholars. Pop. whites 15,020,
slaves 17,538, free col'd 294; total, 32,852.
Edgefield, C. H., p-v., capital of Edgefield dist., S. C, 140 n.
w. Charleston, 56 w. s. w. Columbia, 554 W. It contains a court
house, 3 churches, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist, 2
academies, 6 stores, and about 1,200 inhabitants.
Edgemont, p-t., Delaware co., Pa., 87 e. s. e. Harrisburg, 129
W. The surface is hilly; soil, loam. Watered by Ridley cr. It
has 2 stores, cap. $10,500; 1 cotton fac, 1 grist m., 3 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $500. 4 sch. 114 scholars. Pop. 713
Edina, p-v., capital, Scotland co., Mo. Situated on the w. side
of the South Fabius r., 30 ms. n. Shelbyville.
Edinburg, p-o., Erie co., Pa., 253 n. w. Harrisburg, 326 W.
Edinburg, p-t., Saratoga co., N. Y., 52 n. Albany, 420 W. The
surface is mountainous on the e., undulating on the w. Watered
by Sacondaga r., along which are fertile alluvial flats. It has
4 stores, cap. $8,000; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 9
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,200. 12 sch. 467 scholars. Pop.
Edinburg, p-v., Mahoning t., Mercer co., Pa., 242 w. n. w.
Harrisburg, 280 W. It contains 2 stores, 1 grist m., and 12 or
Edinburg, p-t., Portage co., O., 146 n. e. Columbus, 315 W. The
soil is fertile, and adapted to grazing. Organized in 1819. It
has 2 churches, and 2 stores. It has 10 sch. 383 scholars. Pop.
Edinburg, p-v., Johnson co., Ia., 30 s. Indianapolis, 581 W.
Situated at the junction of Blue r. and Sugar cr., branches of
the e. fork of White river.
Edinburg, p-o., Scotland co., Mo.
Edinburg, p-v., Leake co., Miss., 71 n. e. Jackson, 947 W.
Edinburg, p-v., capital, Jones co., Iowa. Situated on a small
branch of Mineral cr., which flows into Makoqueta r.
Edinburg, t., Penobscot co., Me. Incorporated in 1835. Bounded
e. by Penobscot r. It has a considerable pond in the n. w. part,
the outlet of which flows across it into the Penobscot. It has 1
sch. 23 scholars. Pop. 52.
Edisto, r., S. C, rises in 2 main branches called North Edisto
and South Edisto, in Edge-field dist., and pursues a s. e.
course into Colleton dist., where it turns to the s, and enters
the Atlantic by two branches, which form a large island, called
Edisto island. This island is 12 miles long, and from 1 to 5
broad, and contains 2 churches, 1 Presbyterian and 1 Episcopal.
Edisto r. is navigable for large boats 100 ms.
Edmeston, p-t., Otsego co., N. Y., 15 w. Cooperstown, 89 w.
Albany, 355 W. The sur-face is hilly; soil, sandy loam. Drained
by Wharton's cr. and Unadilla r., by which it is bounded w. The
v. contains 1 store, 1 grist m., and 8 or 10 dwellings. There
are in the t. 6 stores, cap. $10,500; 3 fulling m., 5 tanneries,
2 grist m., 11 saw. Cap. in manufac. $29,175. 14 sch. 633
scholars. Pop. 1,907.
Edmonds, L, Washington co., Me. Situated on Cobscook bay, which
bounds it on the E. It has 3 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $2,500. 4
sch. 113 scholars. Pop. 259.
Edmonds, p-o., Brunswick co., Va., 88 s. Richmond, 204 W.
Edmonson, county, Ky. Situated centrally, w. of the middle of
the state, and contains 250 sq. ms. Watered by Green r. and its
branches, Nolin cr. and Bear cr. The soil is fertile. Capital,
Brownsville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 2,170, sheep 3,131,
swine 7,420; wheat 6,733 bush, produced, Ind. corn 57,050,
buckwheat 3,495, oats 24,780, potatoes 1,215, tobacco 94,122
pounds, cotton 2,525, sugar 2,060; 2 tanneries, 3 distilleries,
4 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,150. Pop. whites 2,579,
slaves 334, free col'd 1; total, 2,914.
Edneyville, p-o., Buncombe co., N. C, 257 w. Raleigh, 499 W.
Edsallville, p-o., Bradford co., Pa., 161 n. Harrisburg, 263 W.
Edwards, County, Ill. Situated toward the s. E. part of the
state, and contains 200 sq. ms. The surface is undulating; soil,
fertile. Watered by Little Wabash r. and Bon Pas cr., which
forms its e. boundary. Capital, Albion. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 5,145, sheep 3,933, swine 9,734; wheat 10,852 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 139,539, oats 26,733, potatoes 8,746; 10
stores, cap. $43,550; 1 distillery, 1 brewery, 2 flouring m., 4
grist m., 2 saw m., 2 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $11,125. 4 sch. 87
scholars. Pop. 3,070.
Edwards, p-t., St. Lawrence co., N. Y, 184 n. n. w. Albany, 468
W. The surface is uneven; soil, clay loam, well adapted to
grass. Drained by Oswegatchie r. It has 3 stores, cap. $6,000; 1
furnace, 1 forge, 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,500.
4 sch. 140 scholars. Pop. 956.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!