American History and Genealogy Project

Elk River, MO to Epping, NH

Page 197

Elk River, t., Newton co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 19 scholars. Pop. 335.

Elk Run, t., Columbiana co., O. Situated a few ms. e. New Lisbon.

Elkton, p-v., capital of Cecil co., Md., 80 n. e. Annapolis, 90 W. Situated £ a mile s. of the Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore rail-road, 44 ms. from Philadelphia, and at the junction of the two main branches of Elk r., at the head of tide water. It contains a court house, jail, bank, and Methodist church. Its trade is less extensive than formerly.

Elkton, p-v., Elk Run t., Columbiana co., O., 154 n. e. by E. Columbus, 276 W. It contains 68 inhabitants.

Elkton, p-v., Giles co., Tenn., 90 s. Nashville, 739 W. It is situated on Elk r., 2 miles above its junction with Richland cr., and contains 150 inhabitants.

Elkton, p-v., capital of Todd co., Ky., 187 s. w. Frankfort, 711 W. Situated on the e. side of Elk cr., a branch of Red r. It contains a court house and several dwellings.

Elkton, p-v., Polk co., Mo., 114 s. w. Jefferson city, 1,050 W.

Elkville, p-v., Caldwell co., N. C, 189 w. Raleigh, 396 W. Situated on the n. side of the Yadkin r.

Ellejay, p-v., capital of Gilmer co., Ga., 176 N. w. Milledgeville, 632 W. Situated at the confluence of the Ellejay and Cottercay Rivers; and contains a court house, jail, 1 Baptist and 1 Methodist church, an academy, and 300 in-habitants.

Ellejay, p-o., Blount co., Tenn., 194 E. by s. Nashville, 514 W.

Ellejay r. (See Coosa r.)

Ellenburg, p-t., Clinton co., N. Y., 25 n. n. w. Plattsburg, 189 n. Albany, 554 W. The surface is hilly, but generally arable. Drained by English r., and other streams which flow into Canada, and by the head waters of Chazy r., which flows into Lake Champlain. It has 3 stores, cap. $600; 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,545. 4 sch. 99 scholars. Pop. 1,171.

Ellensville, p-v., Wawarsing t., Ulster co., N. Y., 86 s. w. Albany, 293 W. Situated on the Delaware and Hudson canal, at the junction of Sand Bar cr. and Good Beerkill cr. It contains 2 churches, 6 stores, 1 glass fac, 4 saw m., 1 iron foundry, 1 edge tool fac. There is an old lead mine in the vicinity.

Ellerslie, p-v., Susquehanna co., Pa., 194 n. E. by n. Harrisburg, 294 W.

Ellerslie, p-v., Harris co., Ga., 108 w. s. w. Milledgeville, 741 W.

Ellery, p-t., Chautauque co., N. Y., 343 w. by s. Albany, 330 W. The surface is undulating; soil, a fertile, sandy, and gravelly loam. Chautauque lake bounds it on the s. w. Watered by small streams which flow into the lake. The y. contains 1 church, 2 stores, and 15 or 20 dwellings. There are in the t., 1 store, cap. $3,000, 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $13,450; 12 sch. 710 scholars. Pop. 2,242.

Ellicott, t, Chautauque co., N. Y., 18 s. e. Mayville, 330 w. Albany. The surface is undulating; soil, sandy and gravelly loam. Watered by Cassadaga cr. and the outlet of Chautauque Lake. It has 14 stores, cap. $83,900; 2 furnaces, 2 fulling m., 1 cotton fac, 1 tannery, 1 pottery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 1 flouring m., 2 grist m., 10 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $31,350. 1 acad. 140 students, 12 sch. 521 scholars. Pop. 2,571.

Ellicott's Mills, p-v., Anne Arundel co., Md., 40 n. w. Annapolis, 45 W. Situated on Patapsco r., 10 s. w. by w. Baltimore. Here are a scattered village, various mills and manufactories, and much romantic scenery.

Ellicottsville, p-t., capital of Cattaraugus co., N. Y., 293 w. by s. Albany, 335 W. The surface is undulating, except a deep valley along Great Valley cr. The soil is sandy or gravelly loam. Drained by Great Valley cr. and its tributaries. The v. is situated on Great Valley cr., and contains a court house, jail, county clerk's office, 2 churches, 4 stores, 1 saw m., 1 tannery, 80 dwellings, and about 600 inhabitants. Incorporated in 1837. There are in the t., 4 stores, cap. $20,000; 1 tannery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,818. 7 sch. 390 scholars. Pop. 1,084.

Ellington, p-t., Tolland co., Ct., 20 n. n. e. Hartford, 356 W. The surface on the E. is broken and hilly, but level on the w. The soil is light and dry, and moderately fertile. The v. contains a Congregational church, a high-school, and about. 40 dwellings, many of them neat. There are in the t., 3 stores, cap. $14,000; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $13,000; 1 acad. 28 students, 9 sch. 366 scholars. Pop. 1,356.

Ellington, p-t, Chautauque co., N. Y., 25 e. Mayville, 324 w. by s. Albany, 336 W. The surface is undulating; soil, sandy and gravelly loam. Drained by Clear creek. It has 4 stores, cap. $13,300; 1 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 2 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac $13,500. 9 sch. 576 scholars. Pop. 1,725.

Elliot, p-t., York co., Me., 102 s. s. w. Augusta, 493 W. It is bounded s. w. by Salmon Fall r. The soil is fertile, adapted to grain. It has 4 tanneries, 3 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,875. 1 acad. 46 students, 7 sch. 522 scholars. Pop. 1,889.

Elliottsville, t., Piscataquis co., Me. It has 1 saw m., 2 sch. 19 scholars. Pop. 60.

Elliottsburg, p-o., Perry co., Pa., 33 w. Harrisburg, 121 W.

Elliottsville, p-o., Somerset co., Me., 85 n. Augusta, 680 W.

Elliottsville, p-o., Knox t, Jefferson co., O., 145 e. by n. Columbus, 279 W.

Ellisburg, p-t., Jefferson co., N. Y., 169 n. w. Albany, 399 W. Bounded w. by Lake Ontario. The surface is level; soil, sandy loam, and fer-tile. Drained by the n. and s. branches of Sandy creek, which flow into Lake Ontario, affording fine water power, which has been extensively used. The village is situated on Sandy cr., and contains 1 Presbyterian church, 2 stores, 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 carding machine and fulling m., 40 dwellings, and 250 inhabitants. There are in the t., 9 stores, cap-ital $25,500; 3 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 4 tanneries, 3 distilleries, 2 flouring m., 7 grist m., 14 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $53,200; 23 sch. 794 scholars. Pop. 5,349.

Ellisburg, p-v., La Grange co., Ia., 180 n. by E. Indianapolis, 581 W.

Ellis Island, N. Y. Situated in the harbor of New York, off the mouth of Hudson r. It belongs to the United States, and contains Port Gibson.

Page 198

Ellisville, p-v., Louisa co., Va., 66 n. w. Richmond, 108 W.

Ellisville, p-v., capital of Jones co., Miss., 144 s. e. Jackson, 1,022 W. It is situated on the w. side of Tallahala cr., a branch of Pascagoula r It contains a court house and several dwellings.

Ellisville, p-v., Fulton co., Ill., 75 n. w. Springfield, 827 W.

Ellisville, p-v., Monroe co., Ia., 51 s. s. w. Indianapolis, 623 W.

Ellsworth, p-t., capital of Hancock co., Me., 89 e. by n. Augusta, 671 W. Watered by Union r. It has a fertile soil, adapted to grain and to grazing. It has Orphan Lake toward the s. w., and a larger between it and Otis on the x. The v. is situated on both sides of Union r., where is a bridge, at the head of tide-water, and is accessible by large vessels. It contains a court house and other county buildings. There are in the t., 15 stores, cap. $4,300; 5 grist m., 19 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,000. 1 acad. 12 students. 19 sch. 670 scholars. Pop. 2,263.

Ellsworth, t., Grafton co., N. H., 52 n. by w. Concord, 20 s. e. Haverhill. The surface is mountainous, and the soil indifferent. Watered by a branch of Pemigewasset r., issuing from a considerable pond. Chartered in 1769. It has 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,755. 3 sch. 101 scholars. Pop. 330.

Ellsworth, p-v., Sharon t., Litchfield co., Ct., 47 w. Hartford, 330 W. It contains a Congregational church and several dwellings.

Ellsworth, p-t., Trumbull co., O., 160 n. e. Columbus, 299 W. It has a fertile soil, well adapted to grazing, and is noted for its fine cattle and excellent cheese. It contains 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Congregational, 1 German Lutheran, and 1 Methodist It has 9 sch. 370 scholars. Pop. 983.

Ellsworth, p-v., capital of Wright co., Mo. Situated on w. side of Pig Piney Fork of Gasconade r.

Elm Grove, p-o., Jennings co., Ia., 71 s. s. e. Indianapolis, 575 W.

Elm Grove, p-o., De Soto co., Miss., 214 w. Jackson, 937 W.

Elm Grove, p-o., Clay co., Mo., 12 x. n. w. Liberty, 171 w. n. w. Jefferson City, 1,084 W.

Elm Hill, do., Rutherford co., Tenn., 71 s. E. Nashville, 673 W.

Elmira, p-t., capital of Chemung co., N. Y., 195 w. s. w. Albany, 279 W. The surface is uneven, and the soil in the valleys and flats very productive. Newton's cr. bounds it on the s. w. The v., formerly called Newtown, is situated on the x. side of Chemung r., at the entrance of Newton's cr., where is extensive water power. It contains a court house, jail, county clerk's office, an academy, 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist, 40 stores, 3 warehouses, 3 flouring m., 3 steam furnaces, 3 plaster m., 1 tannery, and 1 boat yard. The Chemung canal terminates here, where are 2 extensive basins. 10,000,000 feet of boards and planks are exported annually. A bridge, 700 feet long, crosses the Chemung r. The line of the New York and Erie railroad passes through the place. There are in the t., 44 stores, cap. §106,510; 3 lumberyards, cap. 827,503; 1 fulling m., 2 furnaces, 3 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 2 printing offices, 2 binderies, 2 weekly newspapers, 6 grist m., 14 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $128,315. 1 acad. 130 students, 19 sch. 1,152 scholars. Pop. 4,791.

Elmira, p-o., Lucas co., O., 137 n. w. Columbus. 468 W.

Elmira, p-o., Stark co., Ill., 113 n. Springfield, 827 W.

Elmore, p-t., Lamoille co., Vt, 20 n. Montpelier, 536 W. Chartered in 1781. The surface is uneven and elevated, part of its waters flowing n. into Lamoille r., and part s. into Onion r. The soil is moderately fertile. It has several considerable ponds, and contains iron ore. It has 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,300. 7 sch. 144 scholars. Pop. 476.

Elmore, p-o., Talbot co., Ga., 104 w. s. w. Milledgeville, 726 W.

Elm Point, p-o., Bond co., Ill., 65 s. Springfield, 767 W.

Elsinborough, t., Salem co., N. J., 3 n. e. Salem. The surface is level; soil, a fertile loam and marsh meadow. Drained by Alloways and Salem creeks. It has 2 sch. 85 scholars. Pop. 526.

Eltox, p-o., Edgefield dist., S. C, 64 w. Columbia, 550 W.

Elyria, p-t., capital of Lorain co., O., 1 16 N. N. E. Columbus, 374 W. The v. is pleasantly situated on a plain between the two branches of Black r., which unite half a mile below the v., and each of which has a perpendicular fall nearly 40 feet, on the opposite sides of the v., affording extensive water power. The principal street extends from one branch of the r, to the other, and the buildings exhibit much neatness and taste. It contains an elegant court house, which cost $3,000, 2 churches, 1 acad., 10 stores, 1 large flouring m., 4 saw m., 1 carding mach. and clothier's works, 1 forge, 2 furnaces, about 100 dwellings, and 800 inhabitants. It is one of the pleasantest villages in Ohio. There are in the t.2 acad. 135 students, 6 sch. 233 scholars. Pop. 1,636.

Elysburg, p-v., Northumberland co., Pa., 79 N. Harrisburg, 189 W.

Elysville, p-o., Anne Arundel co., Md.

Elytox, p-v., capital, Jefferson co., Ala., 54 x. E. Tuscaloosa, 764 W. Situated at the head of Catoochee or Valley cr. It contains a court house, and a few dwellings.

Emaus, p-v., Salisbury t., Lehigh co., Pa., 87 e. by m. Harrisburg, 180 W. It is a Moravian v., situated at the foot of South Mountain, is built on one street, and contains 1 store, and 20 or 25 houses. The land of the v. and vicinity, was bequeathed by 2 members, for the support of a clergyman and the promotion of missions.

Emanuel, County, Ga. Situated centrally toward the e. part of the state, and contains 1,100 sq. ms. The surface is level; soil, sandy and sterile. Ogeechee r. runs on its N. border. Watered by Cannouchee and Ohoopee Rivers and their branches. Capital, Swainsboro. There were in 1840, neat cattle 16,324, sheep 1,171, swine 8,632; wheat 3,087 bush, produced, Ind. corn 37,129, potatoes 2,772, cotton 72,889 pounds, sugar 2,200; 4 stores, cap. $2,700; 2 distilleries, 9 grist m., 3 saw m. Pop. whites 2,500, slaves 605, free col'd 24; total, 3,129.

Embarras Point, p-o., Edgar co., HI., 104 e. Springfield, 675 W.

Embden, p-t., Somerset co., Me., 49 x. x. w. Augusta, 644 W. Situated on the av. side of Kennebec r. The soil is fertile, adapted to grain and to grazing. Incorporated in 1804. Watered by Seven Mile brook, a tributary of the Kennebec. It has 18 sch. 462 scholars. Pop. 933.

Embden Centre, p-o., Embden t., Somerset co., Me. 44 N. N. w. Augusta, 644 W.

Embreeville, p-o., Chester co., Pa., 76 e. by s. Harrisburg, 121 W.

Page 199

Emercie's Mills, p-o., York co., Me., 59 s. w. Augusta, 518 W.

Emerson's Tan Yard, p-o., Chatham co., N. C, 50 w. Raleigh, 338 W.

Emery Iron Works, p-o., Roane co., Tenn., 150 e. by s. Nashville.

Emery, river, Tennessee, a branch of Clinch River.

Eminence, p-o., Tazewell co., Ill., 67 n. Springfield, 763 W. Situated near Sugar cr.

Emmettsburg, p-v., Frederick co., Md., 80 n. w. Annapolis, 65 W. It contains 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Dutch Reformed, 1 Methodist, and 1 Roman Catholic, an academy, 4 stores, 1 10 dwellings, and 800 inhabitants. 2 ms. distant from the v., is Mount St. Mary's College, under the direction of the Roman Catholics. It was founded in 1830, has a president, and 17 professors and instructors, 31 students, and 3,500 vols, in its libraries. The commencement is in the last week in June. St. Joseph's Female Institute, half a mile from the v., is conducted by the sisters of charity, and is flourishing.

Emoreyville, p-v., Barbour co., Ala., 201 s. E. Tuscaloosa, 847 W.

Emmett, t., Calhoun co., Mich. It has 1 flouring m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,630. 4 sch. 140 scholars. Pop. 647.

Endor, p-o., Will co., Ill., 195 n. e. Springfield, 712 W.

Enfield, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., 104 n. e. Augusta, 699 W. Situated on the e. side of Penobscot r. Incorporated in 1835. It has a large pond on its e. border. It contains 4 sch. 169 scholars. Pop. 346.

Enfield, p-t., Grafton co., N. H., 42 n. w. Concord, 492 W. The surface is diversified, and the soil, in some parts, is fertile. It has several ponds, the outlets of which afford water power. It contains a considerable Shakers' settlement, with 1,000 acres of land attached to it, distinguished for neatness, industry, and mechanical ingenuity. There are in the t., 6 stores, cap. $16,900; 3 fulling m., 2 woolen fee, 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 10 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $28,350. 16 sch. 567 scholars. Pop. 1,514.

Enfield, p-t., Hampshire co., Mass., 75 w. by s. Boston, 387 W. The soil is adapted to grazing. Watered by 2 main branches of Swift r., a tributary of Chickapee r., which afford water power. Incorporated in 1814. It has considerable manufactures. It has 4 stores, cap. $14,000; 1 woolen fee, 2 cotton fee 400 sp., 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $44,100. 7 sch. 285 scholars. Pop. 976.

Enfield, p-t., Hartford co., Ct., 18 n. by e. Hartford, 353 W. Situated on the e. side of Connecticut r., on the n. line of the state. The surface is level; soil, sandy loam, and generally fertile. A bridge, erected in 1808 across Connecticut r., the first built across it in the state, connects this place with Suffield. The v. of Thompsonville, 1 m. from the bridge, has an extensive carpet fee, and over 800 inhabitants. There is a Shakers' settlement in this t., who have 1,000 acres of land under high cultivation. It has 8 stores, cap. $15,000; 1 woolen fee, 3 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 2 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $260,200.

Enfield, p-t., Tompkins co., N. Y., 5 w. Ithaca. 168 w. by s. Albany, 301 W. The surface is undulating; soil, fertile gravelly loam. Drained by small tributaries of Cayuga inlet, which afford water power. The v. contains about 20 dwellings. There are in the t., 10 stores, cap. $100,200; 2 lumber yards, cap. $1,125; 4 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 1 flouring m., 3 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $60,810. 17 schools, 861 scholars. Pop. 2,340.

Enfield, p-v., Halifax co., N. C, 76 n. e. Raleigh, 222 W. Situated on the Wilmington and Raleigh railroad, and contains several stores and dwellings.

Enfield, p-v., King William co., Va., 24 n. e. Richmond, 138 W. It contains 2 stores, and various mechanic shops.

English Neighborhood, p-v. Hackensack t., Bergen co., N. J., 8 n. New York, 67 n. E. Trenton, 233 W. It contains 1 Dutch Reformed, and 1 Christian church, 2 stores, and 20 dwellings.

English Prairie, p-v., Grant co., Wis., 87 w. Madison, 919 W.

Englishtown, p-v., Freehold t., Monmouth co., N. J., 31 E. Trenton, 197 W. Situated on Matchaponix cr., and contains 2 stores, a grist m., and about 30 dwellings. The soil around is light and sandy.

Ennisville, p-v., Barre t, Huntingdon co., Pa., 80 w. Harrisburg, 172 W. Situated on Standingstone cr., and contains a store, and 5 or 6 dwellings.

Ennoree, r., S. C, a branch of Broad r.

Enoch, p-t., Monroe co., O., 105 e. Columbus, 300 W. Pop. 1,134.

Enoch Mills, p-o., Orange co., N. C, 45 n. w. Raleigh, 279 W.

Enon, p-o., Clark co., O., 50 w. Columbus, 443 W.

Enon Valley, p-o., Beaver co., Pa., 243 w. by N. Harrisburg, 269 W.

Enosburg, p-t., Franklin co., Vt., 56 n. by w. Montpelier, 558 W. The surface is various, and the soil well adapted to grazing. Chartered in 1780. It has a Congregational, a Methodist, and a Baptist church. Watered by Missisque r. and its branches, which afford good water power. It has 2 stores, cap. $3,000; 3 fulling m., 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $15,760; 1 acad. 50 students, 11 sch. 246 scholars. Pop. 2,022.

Enosburg Falls, p-v., Enosburg t., Franklin co., Vt., 59 n. by w. Montpelier, 555 W.

Enterprise, p-o., Lancaster co., Pa., 45 e. s. e. Harrisburg, 120 W.

Enterprise, p-o., Steuben co., Ia., 177 n. a. e. Indianapolis, 538 W.

Enterprise, p-o., Union parish, La., 318 N. w. New Orleans, 1,208 W.

Ephratah, p-t., Fulton co., N. Y., 53 w. N. w. Albany, 402 W. The surface is uneven; soil, sandy loam. Drained by Garoga and Zimmerman's creeks, branches of the Mohawk r. The v. contains 1 church, 2 stores, 1 grist m., 3 saw m., 1 tannery, 35 dwellings, and 200 inhabitants. There are in the t. 5 stores, cap. $15,000; 3 fulling m., 1 woolen fee, 4 tanneries, 3 grist m., 26 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $39,380. 8 sch. 587 scholars. Pop. $2,009.

Ephratah, p-t., Lancaster co., Pa., 33 e. by s. Harrisburg, 127 W. The v. contains a store, paper m., and about 20 dwellings. It was founded by a singular sect from Germany, called Tunkers, or Dunkers. Most of the original peculiarities of the sect have disappeared; but they are still remarkable for the regularity of their lives, the simplicity of their manners, and the fervor of their devotion. Contention at law, or with arms, they regard as unchristian. It has 4 tanneries, 3 distilleries, 5 flouring m., 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,350. 5 sch. 213 scholars. Pop. 2,083.

Epping, p-t., Rockingham co., N. H., 30 e. s. e. Concord, 477 W. The soil is generally fertile Watered by Lamprey r. and North r. It has 8 stores, cap. 820,000; 2 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 4 grist m., 6 saw m., 7 sch. 330 scholars. Pop. 1,235.

Table of Contents

Source: A Complete Descriptive And Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith, 1843

This book is a joint project between members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and Susan Dorris our finder!

Please Come Back Again!!

 

AHGP

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do no copy our work