Epson, NH to Experiment Mills, PA
Epsom, p-t., Merrimac co., N. H., 12 e. Concord. 432 W. The
surface is uneven; soil, fertile, adapted to grain or to
grazing. Watered by Suncook r. Chartered in 1727. It has 5
stores, cap. §4,350; 2 grist m., 5 saw m., 8 sch. 404 scholars.
Equality, p-v., Mecklenburg co., N. C, 166 w. s. w. Raleigh, 405
Equality, p-o., Anderson dist., S. C, 127 w. N. w. Columbia, 522
Equality, p-v., capital of Gallatin co., Ill., 187 s. s. E.
Springfield, 776 W. Situated on the n. side of Saline cr. It
contains a neat brick court house, 40 feet square, 2 stories
high, 13 stores of different kinds, various mechanics, and about
80 dwellings. It has salt manufactories in the vicinity.
Equality, t., Miller co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 20 scholars. Pop.
Erasmus, p. o., Lincoln co., N. C, 184 w. by s. Raleigh, 423 W.
Erie, lake. Situated n. of N. Y., Pa., and O., and constitutes a
part of the boundary between the United States and Canada. It is
240 miles long, and 60 broad, in its widest part. It receives
the waters of Superior, Michigan, and Huron lakes, through
Detroit r., and discharges its waters through Niagara r. into
Lake Ontario. Its surface is elevated 565 feet above tide water
in the Hudson r. at Albany. The greatest depth which has been
obtained by sounding is 270 feet. Toward the shores it is
shallow, and its navigation is, for a considerable time in the
winter, prevented by its being frozen. The business done on this
lake is immense, and increasing. More than 50 steam-boats, and
about 300 sloops, schooners, and ships navigate it, and find
abundant employment. A battle was fought near its w. end Sept.
10th, 1813, between the American fleet, under Commodore Perry,
and the English fleet, in which the latter was captured.
Erie, County, N. Y. Situated in the w. part of
the state, and contains 876 sq. ms. The sur-face is level or
undulating toward the n., and hilly toward the s. Lake Erie and
Niagara river bound it on the w. Cattaraugus cr. runs on its s.
boundary. Drained by Buffalo, Cayuga, Cazenove, Seneca,
Ellicott's, Cauquaga, and Tonewanda creeks. The Erie Canal
passes through the co., and communicates with Lake Erie by means
of an extensive basin, formed by the pier at Black Rock. A
railroad extends from Buffalo to Niagara Falls. Capital,
Buffalo. There were in 1840, neat cattle 39,734, sheep 81,442,
swine 37,203; wheat 207, 492 bush, produced, rye 5,539, Indian
corn 179,057, buckwheat 19,593, barley 13,966,oats 424,48 J,
potatoes 556,332, sugar 331,040 pounds; 23 commission houses in
foreign trade, cap. $94,000; 317 stores, cap. $926,875 , 6
lumber yards, cap. $14,500: 4 furnaces, 22 fulling m., 4 woolen
fac, 26 tanneries, 6 distilleries, 10 breweries, 7 potteries, 9
flouring m., 44 grist m., 135 saw m., 2 oil m., 10 printing
offices, 5 binderies, 6 periodicals, 5 daily, 4 weekly, 1
semi-weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $1,142,470. 3 acad. 156
students, 275 sch. 11,432 scholars. Pop. 1830, 35,710; 1840,
Erie, County, Pa. Situated in the n. w. part of
the state, bounded n. w. on Lake Erie, and contains 720 sq. ms.
The surface is undulating; soil, sandy loam, gravel, and clay,
particularly adapted to grass. Watered by Conneaut, Elk, Walnut,
and other creeks, which flow into Lake Erie, and French cr.,
which flows s. into the Alleghany r. Capital, Erie. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 31,805, sheep 47,971, swine 21,665; wheat
173,094 bush, produced, rye 6,550, Indian corn 197,825,
buckwheat 31,834; barley 10,456, oats 242,749, potatoes 334,871,
hops 3,874 pounds, sugar 254,241; 4 commission houses, cap.
$6,000; 67 stores, cap. $277,600; 2 lumber yards, cap. $1,200; 1
furnace, 15 fulling m., 3 woolen fac, 18 tanneries, 4
distilleries, 2 breweries, 1 flouring m., 36 grist m., 118 saw
m., 2 paper fac, 3 printing offices, 1 bindery, 4 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $152,490. 4 acad. 165 students, 226
sch. 8,349 scholars. Pop. 1830, 17,027; 1840, 31,344.
Erie, County, O. Situated in the N. part of the
state, and contains 150 sq. ms. Lake Erie and Sandusky bay form
its n. boundary. The surface is generally level, and the soil
fertile. Drained by Huron and Vermillion rivers. Capital, Huron.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,155, sheep 18,853, swine
10,866; wheat 94,112 bush, produced, rye 1,532, Ind. corn
79,877, buck-wheat 3,958, barley 2,495, oats 64,567, potatoes
71,687, sugar 300 pounds; 11 commission houses, cap. $70,000; 47
stores, cap. $80,500; 2 furnaces, 1 forge, 2 tanneries, 2
flouring m., 4 grist m., 9 saw m., 2 printing offices, 1
bindery, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $60,400. 60 sch.
2,955 scholars. Pop. 12,599.
Erie, p- borough, port of entry, and capital of Erie co., Pa.,
270 n. w. Harrisburg, 343 W It is beautifully situated on
Presque Isle bay, of Lake Erie, contains 1 mile square, and has
one of the best harbors on the lake. The depth of water on the
bar is 8 or 10 feet, and within much more. It contains a court
house, jail, printing office, 7 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Episcopal, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, 1 Associate Reformed, 1
German Lutheran, and 1 Roman Catholic, 1 academy, 1 female
seminary, 1 bank, 33 wholesale and retail stores, 6 forwarding
and commission warehouses, 2 flouring m., 2 iron foundries, and
3,412 inhabitants. Perry's fleet, in the last war, was fitted up
in this harbor, then well defended by a fort, and the remains of
it are now found here. Visitors are weekly cutting pieces from
the Lawrence, Perry's flag ship, which lies here, partly out of
water, and much decayed. There are in the b. 45 stores, cap.
$211,600; 4 commission houses, cap. $6,000; 2 lumber yards, cap.
$1,200; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 3 printing offices, 1
bindery, 4 weekly newspapers, 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufac $31,200. 3 acad. 102 students, 8 sch. 452 scholars. Pop.
Erie, p-v., Greene co., Ala., 48 s. by w. Tuscaloosa, 865 W.
Situated on the E. side of Black Warrior or Tuscaloosa r. It
contains several stores and dwellings.
Erie, t., Ottawa co., O., 16 n. Lower Sandusky. Situated on the
n. side of Portage r., near its entrance into Lake Erie.
Originally settled by the French from Canada, whose descendants
are still found here. Organized in 1803. Pop. 200.
Erie, p-t., Monroe co., Mich., 47 s. w. Detroit, 476 W. The soil
is fertile, and well adapted to grain and to grazing. Watered by
Vance r. and Bay cr. It contains a good stone quarry. It has 3
sch. 83 scholars. Pop. 852.
Erieville, p-v., Nelson t., Madison co., N. Y., 110 w. by N.
Albany, 357 W. It contains 1 church, 1 store, 40 dwellings, and
about 250 inhabitants.
Erin, p-t., Chemung co., N. Y., 8 e. Elmira, 1 195 w. by s.
Albany, 291 W. The surface is hilly and broken; soil, gravelly
loam, and not very fertile. Drained by Cayuta cr. It has 7 sch.
253 scholars. Pop. 1,441.
Erin, p-o., Meriwether co., Ga., 88 w. Milledgeville, 703 W.
Errol, p-t., Coos co., N. H., 155 n. by e. Concord, 616 W.
Umbagog lake lies partly in this t., and bounds it on the w.
Watered by Andros-coggin r., which flows from this lake, and
Mogalloway r., its tributary. Chartered in 1774. It has 1 sch.
40 scholars. Pop. 104.
Erving, p-t., Franklin co., Mass., 79 w. by n. Boston, 412 VV.
Miller's r. runs on its s. border, and Connecticut r. on its w.
Its streams afford good water power. Incorporated in 1838. It
has considerable manufactures. It has 4 sch. 80 scholars. Pop.
Erwin, p-t., Steuben co., N. Y., 217 w. by s. Albany, 282 W. The
surface is hilly; soil, clay loam. Drained by Conhocton and
Tioga rivers, winch here unite to form Chemung r. It has 2
stores, cap. $8,000; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 14 saw
m. Cap. in manufac, $10,005. 6 sch. 227 scholars. Pop. 785.
Erwin Centre, p o., Erwin t., Steuben co., N. V.. 225 w. by s.
Albany, 274 W.
Erwinna, p-v., Bucks co., Pa., 123 E. Harrisburg, 187 W.
Situated on Delaware r., 37 n. Philadelphia.
Erwinsville. p-v., Cleveland co., N. C, 201 w. by s. Raleigh,
Erwinton, p-o., Barnwell dist., S. C, 137 s. Columbia, 633 W.
Escambia, r., Flor. and Ala., rises in Monroe co., Ala., and
receives Conecuh r., larger than itself, and flows into a branch
of Pensacola bay.
Escambia, County, Flor. Situated in its extreme
w. part, bounded s. by the Gulf of Mexico, end contains 600 sq.
ms. The surface near the gulf shore is level, but rises to some
elevation in the interior. The soil is generally poor, covered
with pine. Perdido r. flows on its w. boundary, and Escambia r.
on the e. Pensacola bay furnishes an important harbor. Capital,
Pensacola. There were in 1840, neat cattle, 10,173, sheep 485,
swine 2,674; Ind. com 7,657 bush, produced, potatoes 6.551; 48
stores, cap. $221,800; 5 lumber yards, cap. $29.500; 10 grist
m., 27 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in
manufac. $284,140. 2 acad. 100 students, 13 sch. 213 scholars.
Pop. whites 2,330, slaves 1,356, free cold 307; total, 3,993.
Esmond's Corners, p-o., Calhoun co., Mich., 125 w. Detroit, 533
Esopus, p-t., Ulster co., N. Y., 7 s. Kingston, 66 s. by w.
Albany, 307 W. The surface is uneven and broken; soil, sandy
clay and gravelly loam. Watered by Hudson r., on its E. border,
and by Walkill and Rondout rivers on the w. border. The v., 2
miles w. of the landing on Hudson's r., contains 1 church, 1
store, and 20 dwellings. There are in the t. 5 stores, cap.
$15,000; 1 cotton fac. 2,136 sp., 1 flouring m., 1 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $36,019. 7 sch. 418 scholars. Pop. 1,939.
Esperance, p-v., Schoharie t., Schoharie co., N. Y., 29 w.
Albany, 396 W. Incorporated in 1818. It contains 1 Presbyterian
church, 4 stores, 1 paper m., 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 clothier's
works, 75 dwellings, and about 450 inhabitants.
Espy, p-v., Columbia co., Pa., 87 n. by e. Harrisburg, 197 W.
Situated on the w. bank of Susquehanna r., and contains 2 stores
and about 20 dwellings.
Espyville, p-v., Crawford co., Pa., 255 n. w. by w. Harrisburg,
Essex, County, Vt. Situated in the n. e. corner
of the state, and contains 225 sq. ms. The surface is rough, and
the soil generally poor, excepting on Connecticut r., which
bounds it on the e. Watered by Nulhegan and Moose Rivers and
their branches, and Paul's stream. In the N. are the head waters
of the St. Francis r., which flows n. into the St. Lawrence. In
the w., Clyde r. flows into Lake Memphremagog. Capital,
Guildhall. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,837 T sheep 14,188,
swine 3,639; wheat, 11,161 bushels produced, rye 1,537, Ind.
corn 6,709, buckwheat 15,070, barley 2,223, oats 46,485,
potatoes 235,180, hops 5,959 pounds, sugar 99,385; 7 stores,
cap. $12,500; 2 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 2 grist m., 24 saw m.,
1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $10,400. 2 acad. 101 students, 49 sch.
1,345 scholars. Pop. 4,226.
Essex, County, Mass. Situated in the n. e. part
of the state, and contains 360 sq. ms. It is bounded e. by the
Atlantic, and n. by N. Hampshire. Organized in 1643. The surface
is uneven and rough, but the soil is in many parts good. It has
an extensive sea coast, good harbors, extensive commerce, and
great wealth. Watered by Merrimac and Shawsheen Rivers.
Capitals, Salem, Newburyport, and Ipswich. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 20,271, sheep 6,900, swine 12,047; wheat 3,231 bush,
produced, rye 19,309, Ind. corn 166,861, buckwheat 3,268, barley
28,044, oats 61,882, potatoes 437,790; 70 houses in for trade,
cap. $908,500; 495 stores, cap. $1,298,455; 20 lumber yards,
cap. $110,800; invested in fisheries, $1,116,795; 1 furnace, 38
fulling m., 15 woolen fac, 9 cotton fac. 25,452 sp., 77
tanneries, 6 distilleries, 5 potteries, 2 flouring m., 51 grist
m., 39 saw m., 2 paper fac, 13 printing offices, 7 binderies, 1
daily, 11 weekly, 4 semi- weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
$5,673,700. 1 college, 125 students, 44 acad. 2,109 students,
368 sch. 19,269 scholars. Pop. 94,987.
Essex, County, N. Y. Situated toward the n. e.
part of the state, and contains 1,779 sq. miles. The surface is
hilly on the e., and rises to lofty mountains on the w. Lake
Champlain lies on its E. border, along which is some good land.
It is a vast depository of iron ore, and other mineral
treasures. Vast quantities of magnetic iron ore exist. Mount
Marcy, in this county, is 5,467 feet above the level of the
ocean. Capital, Elizabeth-town. There were in 1840, neat cattle
22,017, sheep 79.835, swine 14,658; wheat 60,444 bush, produced,
rye 29,121, Ind. corn 78,662, buckwheat 25,610, barley 3,158,
oats 170,396, potatoes 470,235, sugar 113,357 pounds; 76 stores,
cap. $221,800; 7 furnaces, 48 bloomeries, forges, &c, employing
a cap. of $199,300; 19 fulling m., 7 woolen fac, 14 tanneries, 5
flouring m., 25 grist m., 266 saw m., 2 printing offices, 2
weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $592,320. 7 acad. 395
students, 141 sch. 5,636 scholars. Pop. 23,634.
Essex, County, N. J. Situated toward the n. e.
part of the state, and contains 241 sq. miles. Two mountain
chains pass through it. Drained by Passaic r. and its branches,
and Rahway r., and some others. The soil is generally red shale.
It has good wafer power, and extensive manufactures. Capital,
Newark. There were in 1840, neat cattle 12,522, sheep 5,465,
swine 8,475; wheat 34,692 bush, produced, rye 34,244, Indian
corn 225,314, buckwheat 39,538, barley 745, oats 181,261,
potatoes 178,193; 2 commercial and 2 commission houses in for
trade, capital $15,000; 203 stores, cap. $524,650; 10 lumber
yards, cap. $56,000; cap. invested in the fisheries, $60,000; 6
fulling m., 3 woolen fac, 2 cotton fac. 1,166 sp., 4 dyeing and
printing estab., 10 tanneries, 3 rope fac, 3 distilleries, 2
breweries, 1 glass-cutting establishment, 6 potteries, 21
flouring m., 20 grist m., 25 saw m., 1 oil m., 18 paper fac, 7
printing offices, 4 binderies, 3 periodicals, 1 daily, 4 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac $3,170,568. 16 acad. 630 students,
112 sch. 4,655 scholars. Pop. 44,621.
Essex, County, Va. Situated in the e. part of
the state, and contains 2S0 sq. ms. Rappahannock r. runs on its
n. e. border, by the small tributaries of which it is watered.
The surface is moderately uneven; soil, sandy and barren, except
on the streams. Capital. Tappahannock. There were in 1810, neat
cattle 7,214, sheep 6,619, swine 12,981; wheat 74,033 bush,
produced, rye 204, Ind. corn 418,720, oats 40,175, potatoes
15,125, tobacco 3,891 pounds, cotton 14,530; 20 stores, cap.
$139,800; 2 tanneries, 15 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$53,430. 3 acad. 71 students, 12 sch. 203 scholars. Pop. whites
3,955, slaves 6,756, free col'd 593; total, 1 1,309.
Essex, p-t., Chittenden co., Vt., 48 n. w. Montpelier, 523 W.
Onion r. runs on its s. border, and by its falls furnishes good
water power. Watered by Brown's River, and Stevens' and other
brooks, which afford some water power. In the s. and w. part,
the soil is sandy and covered with pine. In other parts is a
sandy and clay loam, with hard wood, and is fertile. On Onion r.
is some excellent interval. The v. at the centre contains 1
Congregational and 1 Baptist church, a saw m., and 12 or 15
dwellings. There are in the t., 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1
tannery, 1 paper fac, 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$25,600. 10 sch. 344 scholars. Pop. 1,824.
Essex, p-t., Essex co., Mass., 32 n. e. Boston, 472 W. Organized
in 1819 from Ipswich. The soil is well cultivated, and hay and
fruits are ex-ported. Many vessels are built. Many of the
inhabitants are engaged in the fisheries. The v. at the centre
has 2 churches, and about 50 dwellings. There are in the t., 1
tannery, 1 grist m.. 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,000. 7 sch.
473 scholars. Pop. 1,450.
Essex, p-v., Saybrook t, Middlesex co., Ct., 37 s. by e.
Hartford, 334 W. Situated on Connecticut r., 7 ms. from its
mouth, and contains 3 churches, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, and 1
Methodist, an academy, 10 stores, an extensive rope walk, and
about 1,000 inhabitants. Ship building is extensively carried
on. It has considerable navigation and trade.
Essex, p-t., Essex co., N. Y., 133 n. Albany, 509 W. The soil is
fertile on the e., and sterile w. Watered by Boquet r., flowing
into Lake Champlain. The v. is situated on the w. side of Lake
Champlain, and has a good steamboat landing, and 2 wharves. It
contains 3 churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Baptist, and 1
Methodist, 6 stores, 2 extensive storehouses, 1 tannery, 1 ship
yard for lake craft, and about 100 dwellings. A horse ferryboat
crosses, 2£ miles, to Vermont. There are in the t., 9 stores,
cap. $23,700; 1 forge, 2 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 flouring m., 2
grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $50,800. 2 acad. 65
students, 11 sch. 457 scholars. Pop. 1,681.
Essex, p-o., Porter co., Ia.
Estanaula, p-o., Haywood co., Tenn., 154 w. by s. Nashville, 839
Estill, County, Ky. Situated centrally toward
the e. part of the state, and contains 864 sq. ms. Watered by
Kentucky r. and its branches. Capital, Irvine. There were in
1840, neat cattle 5,113, sheep 5,902, swine 12,910; wheat 6,815
bush, produced, rye 1,839, Ind. corn 296,697, oats 32,610,
potatoes 8,195, tobacco 23,876 pounds, cotton 3,173, sugar
39,573, bituminous coal 98,525 bush.; 4 stores, cap. $3,700; 1
furnace, 6 forges, 5 tanneries, 23 distilleries, 27 grist m., 5
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,840. Pop. whites 4,960, slaves 558,
free col'd 17; total, 5,535.
Estillville, p-v., capital, Scott co., Va., 344 w. by s.
Richmond, 412 W. Situated on Mocassin cr., a branch of Clinch r.
It contains a court house, jail, and several stores and
Etowah, r., Ga., one of the two constituent branches, which
unite in Floyd co., to form the Coosa r.
Etowah Valley, p-o., Cass co., Ga., 144 n, w. Milledgeville, 653
Etna, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., 61 n. n. e. Augusta, 656 W. The
soil is fertile, adapted to wheat. Watered by a branch of
Sebasticook r. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 1 grist m., 1 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $400. 6 sch. 321 scholars. Pop. 745.
Etna, p-v., Dryden t., Tompkins co., N. Y., 169 w. Albany, 302
W. Situated on Fall creek, and contains 2 churches, 1 store, 1
flouring m., 1 saw m., 2 distilleries, 1 cloth dressing
establishment, 30 dwellings and about 200 inhabitants.
Etna, p-o., Hanover co., Va.
Etna, p-o., Lapeer co., Mich.
Etna, p-v., Greene co., Ky.,99 s. s. w. Frankfort.
Etna, p-v., Lima t., Licking co., O., 17 e. Columbus, 376 W.
Situated on the national road, and contains 1 church, 3 stores,
40 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.
Etna, t., Licking co., O. Pop. 857.
Eubanks, p-o., Columbia co., Ga., 117 E. n. e. Milledgeville,
Euclid, p-o., Clay t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 144 w. by n. Albany,
Euclid, p-t., Cuyahoga co., O., 155 n. e. by n. Columbus, 367 W.
Situated on Lake Erie. It has 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1
grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,100. 12 sch. 746
scholars. Pop. 1,775.
Eulalia, p-t., Potter co., Pa., 187 N. n. w. Harrisburg, 279 W.
Drained by the e. branch of the Sinnemahoning r. and its
tributaries. The surface is hilly; soil, vegetable mold and
gravelly loam. It is but little cultivated. It has 4 stores,
cap. $7,200; 1 tannery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 2
grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,800. 3 schools, 80
scholars. Pop. 368.
Eugene, p-v., Vermillion co., Ia., 85 w. Indianapolis, 657 W. It
is situated on the s. side of Big Vermillion r., 1½ ms. from the
Wabash r. It contains 3 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., and a
carding machine, propelled by water power, and a large grist and
saw m., by steam, 1 brewery, 1 tannery, and 400 inhabitants. Big
Vermillion is navigable for steamboats to this place. There are
in the t., 4 stores, cap. $12,500; 1 flouring m., 1 grist m., 1
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,200. 3 sch. 105 scholars. Pop.
Eutaw, p-o., De Soto co., Miss., 215 n. Jackson, 928 W.
Eutaw, p-v., capital of Greene co., Ala. Situated 3 ms. w. of
Black Warrior r., and contains a court house, and a few
Eutaw Springs, S. C. a small branch of Santee r. On the borders
of this stream was fought the battle of Eutaw Springs, Sept. 8,
1781, in the American revolution, between General Greene,
American, with a loss of 555; and Gen. Stewart, British, with a
loss of 1,000.
Evans, p-t., Erie co., N. Y., 311 w. Albany, 368 W. The surface
is hilly; soil, gravelly loam and clay, adapted to grain and to
grass. Drained by Little and Big Sisters creeks, flowing into
Lake Erie, which bounds it on the w. It has 3 stores, cap.
$1,800; 2 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in
manufac $19,500. 16 sch. 503 scholars. Pop. 1,807.
Evansburg, p-v., Crawford co., Pa., 242 n. w. by w. Harrisburg,
Evans' Mills, p-v., Le Ray t., Jefferson co., N. Y., 165 n. w.
Albany, 425 W. Situated on Pleasant cr., a branch of Indian r.
It contains 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist,
an academy, 5 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m. 1 machine shop, 1
tannery, 1 carding and fulling m., 50 dwellings, and about 350
Evansport, p-v., Williams co., O., 165 n. w. Columbus, 517 W.
Evansville, p-v., Preston co., Va., 266 n. w. Richmond, 190 W.
Situated between Cheat and Valley rivers.
Evansville, p-v., capital, Vanderburg co., Ia., 172 s. w. by s.
Indianapolis. It is situated on the n. bank of the Ohio r., at
the great north bend, below the entrance of Green r., and
contains a brick court house, jail, a bank, 8 churches, 1
Baptist, 1 Dutch Reformed, 1 Episcopal, 1 Lutheran, 1 Methodist,
2 Presbyterian, 1 Roman Catholic, an academy, 6 schools, a steam
flouring m., 1 foundry, 45 stores, 500 dwellings, and 2,500
Evansville, p-o., Washington co., Ark., 189 n. w. Little Rock,
Everettsville, p-v., Albemarle co., Va., 78 w. n. w. Richmond,
119 W. It contains 1 store and 2 mechanic shops.
Evergreen, p-o., Anderson dist., S. C, 133 w. n. w. Columbia,
Evergreen, p-o., Conecuh co., Ala., 172 s. by e. Tuscaloosa, 914
Evergreen, p-o., McDonough co., III.
Everton, p-v., Fayette co., Ia., 66 e. by s. Indianapolis, 522
Evesham, p-t., Burlington co., N. J., 34 s. Trenton, 150 W. The
surface is level; soil, sand and sandy loam, pretty well
cultivated, and productive. Drained by Rancocus and Haines'
creeks on its borders, and by the head waters of Little Egg
Harbor r. It has several villages. There are in the t. 19
stores, cap. $43,650; 1 lumber yard, cap. $7,000; 1 fulling m.,
3 tanneries, 3 distilleries, 6 grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $97,600. 21 sch. 1,167 scholars. Pop. 5,060.
Eve's Mills, p-o., Monroe co., Tenn., 170 e. s. e. Nashville,
Ewing, t., Franklin co., Mass. It has 1 store, cap. $2,000; 1
fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$9,200. 4 sch. 80 scholars. Pop. 309.
Ewing, t., Mercer co., N. J. It has 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac,
1 distillery, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $14,500. 3
sch. 77 scholars. Pop. 1,017.
Ewingsville, p-v., Cooper co., Mo., 70 w. n. W. Jefferson City,
Ewington, p-v., and capital of Effingham co., Ill., 85 s. e.
Springfield, 714 W. Situated on the national road, on the w.
bank of Little Wabash r. It has an elevated and pleasant
situation, and contains a court house and a few dwellings.
Exchange, p-o., Warren co., N. C, 57 n. n. E. Raleigh, 237 W.
Exeter, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., 79 n. n. e. Augusta, 674 W.
The soil is fertile, producing excellent wheat. Watered by
branches of Kenduskeag r., which afford water power.
Incorporated in 1811. It has 1 tannery. Cap. in manufac.
Exeter, p-t., Rockingham co., N. IL, 37 s. E. by e. Concord. 480
W. The soil is moderately good, and the cultivation excellent.
The v. is situated on Exeter r., a branch of the Piscataqua, at
the head of tide water. The falls here afford great water power.
It contains a court house, jail, bank, 3 churches, 2
Congregational and 1 Baptist and a well endowed academy. The r.
is navigable to this place for vessels of 500 tons burden. The
t. contains 30 stores, cap. $67,240; 4 tanneries, 1 powder m., 3
potteries, 1 paper fac, 4 printing offices, 2 binderies, 3
weekly newspapers, 4 acad. 275 students, 12 sch. 610 scholars.
Exeter, t., Washington co., R. I., 24- s. w. Providence. The
surface is uneven; soil, gravelly loam, and productive.
Incorporated in 1743. Drained by Wood r. and its branches, which
afford water power. It has 8 stores, cap. $3,650; 1 fulling m.,
3 woolen fac, 6 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $83,860. 13
sch. 422 scholars. Pop. 1,776.
Exeter, p-t., Otsego co., N. Y., 77 w. Albany, 367 W. The
surface is elevated and hilly; soil, calcareous mold, well
adapted to grazing. Drained by Butternut and Wharton's creeks.
Canaderaga lake lies on its n. e. border. The v. contains a
church, store, and 12 or 15 dwellings. There are in the t. 4
stores, cap. $13,000; 1 full-ing m., 3 tanneries, 2 grist m., 9
saw m. Cap. in manufac $15,012. 9 sch. 469 scholars. Pop. 1,423.
Exeter, t., Berks co., Pa. The surface is undulating or hilly;
soil, red gravel, and moderately productive. Drained by Manokesy
and Roush creeks, branches of the Schuylkill. It contains a
church, common to Presbyterians and Lutherans, and a v. with 1
store and 6 or 8 dwellings. There are in the t. 3 stores, cap.
$2,800; 1 forge, 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 3 saw m.,
1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $6,750. Pop. 1,911.
Exeter, p-t., Luzerne co., Pa., 129 n. n. e. Harrisburg, 237 W.
The surface is very uneven, and the soil excellent. Susquehanna
r. flows on its n. e. boundary. Watered by Gardner s creek and
Cascade run, which flow into the Susquehanna. Shawney ridge of
mountains passes through it, on the e. side of which anthracite
coal is found. In the s. part of this t. the well-known battle
of Wyoming was fought, in 1778, celebrated in Campbell's
"Gertrude of Wyoming." It has 3 stores, cap. $8,600: 1 fulling
m., 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,300. 8 sch. 289
scholars. Pop. 1,529.
Exeter, p-t., Monroe co., Mich. The soil is productive, adapted
to grain and to grazing. It has 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $800.
Exeter, p-v., Morgan co., Ill., 47 w. Spring-field, 827 W.
Situated on Mauvaiseterre r. It contains a large flouring m., 3
stores, and 15 or 20 families, surrounded by a flourishing
Experiment Mills, p-o., Monroe co., Pa., 129 n. E. by e.
Harrisburg, 222 W.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!