Faber's Mills, VA to Fallsburgh, NY
Faber's Mills, p-o., Nelson co., Va., 91 w. Richmond, 146 W. It
contains 1 store, several mechanic shops, 1 flouring m., 1 saw
m., 1 woolen fac, 12 dwellings, and about 60 inhabitants.
Fabius, r., Mo., rises in several branches in Iowa and n. part
of Missouri, and enters the Mississippi r. in Marion co., Mo.,
after a course of about 100 miles.
Fabius, p-t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 120 w. Albany, 337 W. The
surface is hilly and broken; soil well adapted to grass. Watered
by Toughnioga r. It has 22 sch. 766 scholars. Pop. 2,562,
Fabius, p-t., Hardy co., Va., 187 .n. w. Richmond, 115 VV.
Fabius, t., Marion co., Mo. Pop. 1,340.
Facility, p-o., McMinn co., Term., 163 e. s. e. Nashville, 544
Factory Point, p-o., Bennington co., Vt., 93 s. by w.
Montpelier, 430 W.
Factory Shoal, p-o., Randolph co., Ala., 149 e. Tuscaloosa, 769
Factoryville, p-v., Tioga co., N. Y., 178 w. s. w. Albany, 265
W. Situated on Cayuta cr. It contains 1 Methodist church, 3
stores, 1 woolen fac, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., an extensive
furnace, 50 dwellings, and 350 inhabitants.
Factoryville, p-v., Castleton t., Richmond co., N. Y., 153 s.
Albany, 231 W. Situated on the N. shore of Staten Island. It
contains 1 Episcopal church, 5 stores, 1 grist m., the New York
dyeing and printing establishment, with a capital of $200,000,
employing 300 workmen. It has 100 dwellings, and 600
inhabitants. The post-office is called North Shore.
Factoryville, p-v., Braintrim t., Luzerne co., Pa., 156 n. e.
Harrisburg, 263 W.
Fairbluff, p-o., Columbus co., N. C, 125 s. Raleigh, 415 W.
Fairdale, p-v., Rush t., Susquehanna co., Pa., 169 n. e.
Harrisburg, 279 VV. It contains a mill and 4 or 5 dwellings.
Fair Dealing, p-o., Calloway co., Ky., 54 s. w. Frankfort, 786
Fairfax, p-t., Franklin co., Vt., 57 n. w. Montpelier, 535 W.
The surface is generally level, and the soil light, easily
tilled, and tolerably fertile. Watered by Lamoille r., and some
small tributaries, which afford good water power. The falls of
the Lamoille, which is here a large r., are curious and
valuable. It has 2 stores, capital $2,000; 2 tanneries, 1 grist
m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,000. 11 sch. 254 scholars. Pop.
Fairfax, C. H., p-v., and capital of Fairfax co., Va., 121 n.
Richmond, 21 W. It contains a court house, jail, 3 stores,
several mechanic shops, 50 dwellings, and 250 inhabitants.
Fairfax, County, Va. Situated in the n. e. part
of the state. Potomac r. and the District of Columbia bound it
on the e. It contains 450 sq. ms. The surface is hilly and
broken, and the soil in some places good, but mostly sterile.
Ocoquan cr. runs on its s. w. border, and Difficult cr. runs
through it N. into the Potomac. Capital, Fairfax C. H. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 12,501, sheep 6,513, swine 9,803;
wheat 24,630 bush, produced, rye 5,943, Indian corn 158,012,
buckwheat 1,594, oats 66,806, potatoes 7,812, tobacco 13,4S0
pounds; 1 tannery, 2 colleges, 61 students, 1 acad. 20 students,
8 sch. 245 scholars. Pop. whites 5.469, slaves 3,453, free col'd
448; total, 9,370.
Fairfax, v., and capital of Culpepper co., Va. (p-o. called
Culpepper C. H.) Situated on the s. bank of Mountain cr. It
contains a court house, jt.il, and clerk's office, on the public
square, 3 churches, 1 Episcopal, 1 Presbyterian, and 1 Baptist,
9 stores, 1 market house, 2 tanneries, various mechanic shops,
and 2 printing offices, both of which issue weekly newspapers.
Fairfield, p-t., Somerset co., Me., 22 n. Augusta, 617 W. It has
Kennebec r. on its e. and N. boundary, which is navigable by
boats to Augusta, where it meets sloop navigation. The soil is
fertile, adapted to grain and to grazing. It has 4 stores, cap.
5,900; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 28 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $186,115. 23 sch. 860 scholars. Pop. 2, 198.
Fairfield, p-t., Franklin co., Vt., 56 n. w. Montpelier, 541 W.
First settled in 1789. It has an uneven surface, and a strong
soil. Watered by branches of Missisque r., and has good water
power. It rears many cattle, horses, and sheep. An academy here
was incorporated in 1808. It has 3 stores, cap. $6,000; 3
fulling m., 2 tanneries, 4 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in
manufactures, $16,925. 16 sch. 303 scholars. Pop. 2,448.
Fairfield, County, Ct. Situated in the s. w.
part of the state, and contains 630 sq. ms. The surface is
agreeably diversified, and the soil strong, productive, and well
cultivated. It extends 40 miles on Long Island sound, has a
number of good harbors, and enjoys great commercial ad-vantages;
and it has considerable shipping employed in the coasting trade
and the fisheries. Watered by the Housatonic r., which runs on
its n. e. and e. boundary, and is navigable to Derby, and by
Saugatuc, Norwalk, Mill, and Pequonuck rivers, which afford good
water power. Capitals, Fairfield and Danbury. There were in
1840, neat cattle 34,452, sheep 33,355, swine 21,719; wheat
10,802 bush, produced, rye 111,530. Ind. corn 216,894, buckwheat
69.923, oats 319,781, potatoes 550,587; 267 stores, cap.
$828,250; 16 lumber yards, cap. $67,000; 2 furnaces, 2 forges,
12 fulling m., 9 woolen fac, 6 cotton fac. 8,400 sp., 1 dyeing
and printing estab., 26 tanneries, 3 potteries, 1 rope fac, 4
flouring m., 59 grist m., 71 saw m., 1 paper fac, 6 printing
offices, 1 bindery, 5 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufactures,
$1,279,720. 31 acad. 867 students, 211 sch. 8,285 scholars. Pop.
Fairfield, County, O. Situated a little s. E.
of the centre of the state, and contains 540 sq. ms. The surface
is elevated, lying between the Muskingum and Scioto rivers, and
the soil is fer-tile, and well adapted to grain. Drained by the
head waters of Hockhocking r. The land is generally level,
interspersed occasionally with conical hills. The south part of
the county is hilly, with a less fertile soil. Capital,
Lancaster. There were in 1840, neat cattle 26,619, sheep 41,665,
swine 53,578; wheat 616,152 bush, produced, rye 32,841, Ind.
corn 909,660, barley 2,923, oats 377,834, potatoes 67,265,
tobacco 248,570 pounds, sugar 102,362; 48 stores, cap. $355,700;
3 fulling m., 7 woolen fac, 20 tanneries, 7 distilleries, 3
breweries, 1 rope fac. 1 flouring m., 21 grist in., 41 saw m., 3
printing offices, 3 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac $100,685.
Fairfield, district, S. C. Situated in the central part of the
state, and contains 796 sq. ms. The Wateree r. runs on its n. e.
border, and Broad r. on the s. w. Little r., a branch of Broad
r., runs through its w. part. Soil, light and fertile. Capital,
Winnsboro. There were in 1840, neat cattle 16,021, sheep 6,924,
swine 24,424; wheat 22,784, bush, produced, rye 2,136, Ind. corn
556,055, oats 57,125, potatoes 20,689, cotton 8,159,450 pounds;
41 stores, cap. $78,600; 16 grist m., 8 saw m., 1 acad. 25
students, 4 sch. 98 scholars. Pop. whites 7,587, slaves 12,505,
free col'd 73; total, 20,165.
Fairfield, p-v., port of entry, and semi-capital of Fairfield
co., Ct., 58 s. w. Hartford, 21 s. 8. w. n. Haven, 279 W. The
surface is undulating, and the soil fertile and well cultivated.
The v. is principally built on one street, with a green or
square in the centre, and has 1 Congregational church, a court
house, jail, an academy, and about 100 dwellings. Black Rock
harbor, li m. from the C. H., is, next to New London, one of the
best harbors on the sound, having 19 feet water. There is a
light-house on Fairweather Island. The parish of Greenfield
contains a pleasant village, with a Congregational church and an
academy, and a fine view of Long Island sound; and has been
celebrated by Dr. Dwight, formerly its minister, in the fine
poem of "Greenfield Hill." The main v. of Fairfield was burned
in 1779 by the British, under Gov. Tryon, in the revolutionary
war. It has 15 stores, cap. $43,200; 2 lumber yards, cap.
$4,500; 2 tanneries, 4 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$53,400. 3 acad. 104 students, 17 sch. 488 scholars. Pop. 3,654.
Fairfield, p-t., Herkimer co., N. Y., 8 n. Little Falls, 79 w.
by x, Albany, 398 W. The surface is hilly and rough, and the
soil a fertile clay loam, well adapted to grazing. Drained by
West Canada cr. The v. contains 3 churches, 3 stores, 1 tannery,
one of the oldest academies in the state, and about 300
inhabitants. Here was located the Western College of Physicians
and Surgeons, founded in 1812, which in 25 years, previous to
1840, educated 2,000 medical students. It has been discontinued.
There are in the t. 5 stores, cap. $25,500; 1 tannery, 6 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $17,210. 1 college, 105 stu-dents, 1 acad. 215
students, 13 sch. 550 scholars. Pop. 1,836.
Fairfield, t., Cumberland co., N. J., 72 s. by w. Trenton. The
surface is level, and the soil sandy, with the exception of a
strip of marsh on Delaware bay. Drained by Cohansey, Nantuxet,
and Cedar creeks. It has 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist church.
It has 7 stores, cap. $12,350; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 1 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $44,015. 5 sch. 114 scholars. Pop. 1,935.
Fairfield, v., Caldwell t., Essex co., N. J., 11 k. w. Newark.
It has a Dutch Reformed church, and about 10 dwellings.
Fairfield, p-v., Hamilton t., Adams co., Pa., 43 s. w.
Harrisburg, 82 W. Situated on the s. side of Middle cr., a
branch of the Monocscy r.
Fairfield, t., Crawford co., Pa. It has 2 stores, cap. $1,500; 2
distilleries, 2 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,300. Pop.
Fairfield, t., Westmoreland co., Pa. It lies chiefly in a
valley; soil, calcareous loam. Bounded n. e. by Conemaugh r., by
several branches of which it is watered. It has 4 stores, cap.
$8,000; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 3 flouring m., 2 grist m.
Cap. in manufac. $17,800. 1 acad. 40 students, 10 sch. 371
scholars. Pop. 2,045.
Fairfield, t., Butler co., O., contains Hamilton v., the capital
of the co. It has 3 sch. 64 scholars. Pop. 2,171.
Fairfield, t., Columbiana co., O. It has 1 sch. 18 scholars.
Fairfield, t., Highland co., O. It has 14 sch. 1,210 scholars.
Fairfield, Tuscarawas co., O. It has 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$600. 7 sch. 376 scholars. Pop. 866.
Fairfield, t., Huron co., O., 100 n. by e. Columbus. It has 7
sch. 284 scholars. Pop. 1,064.
Fairfield, p-v., Greene co., O., 57 w. by s. Columbus, 450 W.
Situated on the s. e. side of Mad r. It contains 2 churches, an
academy, 8 stores, 1 large grist m., 2 tanneries, various
mechanics, 108 dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants. It is
beautifully situated on a spacious plain, sur-rounded by lulls.
Fairfield, p-v., Nelson co., Ky., 47 s. w. Frankfort, 589 W.
Situated on a branch of Salt River.
Fairfield, t., Madison co., O. It has 2 stores, cap. $2,700; 1
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $350. 10 sch. 245 scholars. Pop. 505.
Fairfield, p-v., Rockingham co., Va., 135 N. w. Richmond, 177 W.
Fairfield, v., Rockbridge co., Va.,23 s. s. w. Stanton. It
contains a church, free to all denominations, and about 20
Fairfield, p-v., Bedford co., Tenn., 50 s. by e. Nashville.
Fairfield, p-v., Pickens co., Ala., 56 w. Tuscaloosa, 873 W.
Fairfield, p-v., Franklin co., Ia., 73 e. by s. Indianapolis,
Fairfield, p-v., and capital of Wayne co., Ill., 145 s. E.
Springfield, 751 W. Situated on the border of Hargrave's
prairie. It has a handsome brick court house, 3 or 4 stores, and
about 30 dwellings. Large quantities of castor oil are
Fairfield, p-v., Benton co., Mo., 90 s. w. Jefferson City, 1,026
Fairfield, t., Lenawee co., Mich. It is a flourishing
agricultural t., and has 1 saw m., 6 sch. 169 schools. Pop. 837.
Fairfield, p-o., Jefferson co., Iowa. Fairfield, p-v., Walworth
co., Wis., 66 s. E. Madison, 810 W.
Fairfield Corners, p-v., Fairfield t., Somerset co., Me., 23 n.
Augusta, 623 W.
Fair Garden, p-o., Sevier co., Tenn., 224 e. Nashville, 484 W.
Fair Grove, p-o., Davidson co., N. C, 96 w. Raleigh, 326 W. Fair
Grove, p-o., Morgan co., Ia. Fair Haven, p-t., Rutland co., Vt.,
79 s. w. Montpelier, 451 W. Watered by Castleton and Poultney
Rivers, which unite 3 ms. before enter-ing E. Bay in Lake
Champlain. The soil, particularly along the streams, is fertile.
On Castleton r. are falls, which afford good water power.
Chartered in 1779. It has 2 stores, 4 forges, 1 tannery, 1 paper
fee, 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $20,600. 4 sch. 209
scholars. Pop. 633.
Fair Haven, p-t., Bristol co., Ms., 59 s. by e. Boston, 436 W.
It is situated opposite to New Bedford, across Acushnett r.,
over which is a bridge 3,960 feet long. First settled in 1764.
Separated from New Bedford in 1812. The r. affords water power,
and the estuary into which it falls, a good harbor. This place
has considerable shipping, much of which is employed in the
whale fishery. It has 31 stores, cap. $50,150; 1 lumber yard,
cap. $15,000; 2 woolen fac, 2 cotton fac. 1,760 sp., 1 acad. 40
students, 22 sch. 1,193 scholars. Pop. 3,951.
Fair Haven, p-v., New Haven and East Haven ts., New Haven co.,
Ct., 33 s. Hartford, 302 W. Situated on both sides of Quinnipiac
r., over which is a bridge, 2 e. New Haven C. H. It contains 2
churches, 1 Congregational and 1 Methodist, a flourishing
academy, and about 1.000 inhabitants. It has been built up
chiefly by the oyster trade, of which it exports great
quantities in the winter season.
Fair Haven, p-v., Israel t., Preble co., O., 112 w. by s.
Columbus, 505 W. It contains 1 store, 30 dwellings, and about
150 inhabitants. There are in the vicinity a splendid
Presbyterian church, and a steam saw m.
Fair Haven, p-v., Clinton co., Iowa. Fairhaven Furnace, p-o.,
Humphreys co., Tenn., 70 w. Nashville, 754 W.
Fair Hill, p-o., Marshall co., Va., 354 n. w. Richmond, 261 W.
Fairlee, p-t., Orange co., Vt., 38 s. e. Montpelier, 506 W. The
surface is rough and mountainous, and much of it is unfit for
cultivation. A bridge across Connecticut r. connects it with
Oxford, N. H. Chartered in 1761. The timber is i mostly pine and
hemlock. It has 2 stores, cap. $1,000; 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. §1,475. 6 sch. 245 scholars. Pop. 644.
Fairmont, p-t., Luzerne co., Pa. It has 4 saw ra. Cap. in
manufac. $1,750. 3 sch. 1 12 scholars. Pop. 594. The post-office
is called Fairmont Springs.
Fairplay, p-o., Pickens dist., S. C, 151 w. N. w. Columbia, 566
Fair play, p-o., Morgan co., Ga., 51 n. w. Milledgeville, 635 W.
Fairplay, p-v., Greene co., Ia., 77 s. w. Indianapolis, 644 W.
Situated on the w. side of White r., and has 1 store, a steam
mill, and 10 or 12 dwellings.
Fairplay, p-o., Grant co., Wis., 102 w. Madison, 892 W.
Fair Pleasant, p-o., Monroe co., O.
Fairport, p-v., Elmira t., Chemung co., N. Y., 192 s. w. Albany,
235 W. Situated on the Chemung canal, at the junction of the
feeder, 6 ms above Elmira. It contains 1 Presbyterian and 1
Methodist church, 8 stores, 6 warehouses, 1 grist m., 2
tanneries, 90 dwellings, and about 500 in-habitants.
Fairport, p-v., Painsville t., Lake co., O., 178 N. E. Columbus,
352 W. Situated on the e. bank of Grand r., at its mouth. It has
a good harbor for lake vessels, and is connected, 3 ms. by a
railroad, with Painesville, of which it is the port. It has
considerable business, and has a city charter, though it is not
a large village.
Fairport, t., Ashtabula co., O. It has 5 sch. 185 scholars. Pop.
Fairton, p-v., Fairfield t., Cumberland co., N. J., 71 s. by w.
Trenton, 182 W. Situated at the junction of Mill cr. and
Rattlesnake run, which flow into Cohansey cr. It contains a
Methodist, and near it a Presbyterian church, 2 stores, 40
dwellings, and about 240 inhabitants. A bed of marl is found
here, which adds to the fertility of the land.
Fairview. p-o., Farmersville t., Cattaraugus co., N. Y., 270 w.
Albany, 337 W.
Fairview, p-t., Erie co., Pa., 267 n. w. Harrisburg, 342 W.
Bounded on the n. by Lake Erie. The surface is hilly; soil,
gravelly loam. Watered by Walnut and Elk creeks. The v. is
situated at the mouth of Walnut cr., on Lake Erie. There are in
the t., 1 store, cap. $3,000; 1 paper fac, 2 grist m., 5 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $17,000. 10 sch. 278 scholars. Pop. 1,431.
Fairview, t., York co., Pa., 17 n. w. York. Surface, partly
hilly; soil, calcareous loam and gravel. Watered by Yellow
Breeches, Fishing, and Newberry creeks. It has 2 tanneries, 10
distilleries, 1 flouring m., 3 grist m., 3 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap.
in manufac. $51,900. 12 sch. 370 scholars. Pop. 1,993.
Fairview, p-v., Brooke co., Va., 354 n. w. Richmond, 267 W.
Situated 2 miles E. of Ohio r., and 4 w. Pa. line. It contains 2
Presbyterian churches, 2 stores ,2 tanneries, various mechanics,
4 flouring m., and about 200 inhabitants. It is also called New
Fairview, p-v., Buncombe co., N. C, 245 w. Raleigh, 482 W.
Fairview, p-v., Greenville dist., S. C, 88 n. w. Columbia, 514
Fairview, p-v., Oxford t., Guernsey co., O., 95 E. Columbus, 293
Fairview, p-v., Fulton county, Ill., 83 n. w. Springfield, 809
Fairview, p-o., Pontotoc co., Miss., 187 n. n. E. Jackson, 839
Fairview, p-o., Pettis co., Mo., 80 w. Jefferson City, 1,016 W.
Fairville, p-v., Arcadia t., Wayne co., N. Y., 192 w. Albany,
363 W. It contains 1 Methodist church, 2 stores, 25 dwellings,
and about 125 inhabitants.
Faison's Depot, p-o., Duplin co., N. C, 70 s. e. Raleigh, 300 W.
It is situated on the Raleigh and Wilmington railroad.
Falkland, p-o., Pitt co., N. C, 91 e. Raleigh, 277 W.
Fall Branch, p-o., Washington co., Tenn., 274 e. Nashville, 414
Falley's Cross Roads, p-o., Hampden co., Mass., 109 w. s. w.
Boston, 376 W.
Falling Bridge, p-o., Campbell co., Va., 102 w. s. w. Richmond,
Falling Creek, p-o., Wayne co., N. C, 61 s. e. Raleigh, 291 W.
Falling Spring, p-o., Greenbrier co., Va., 232 w. Richmond, 267
Falling Waters, p-o., Berkeley co., Va., 178 n. Richmond, 80 W.
Situated on the bank of the Potomac, at a singular bend in the
r. It contains 1 flouring m., and, in the vicinity, 1
Presbyterian and 2 Methodist churches.
Fallowfield, Crawford co., Pa. The surface is hilly; soil,
gravelly. It has 14 stores, cap. $29,700; 1 fulling m., 2
distilleries, 3 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,305. Pop.
Fall River, p-t., port of entry, Bristol co., Mass., 51 s.
Boston, 418 W. Situated on both sides of Fall r., at its
entrance into Mount Hope bay, a branch of Narraganset Bay. Fall
River consists of the outlet of Watuppa pond, which is 11 miles
long and 1 broad, 2 miles e. of the town, and is an unfailing
stream. It falls 140 feet within 100 reds, and affords a
splendid water power. The v. contains 6 churches, 1
Congregational, 1 Christian, 1 Baptist, 1 Friends, 1 Methodist,
1 Unitarian, and 1 bank. It has a good harbor, and considerable
shipping, a portion of which is employed in the whale fishery.
There are in the t., 53 stores, cap. $105,000; 4 lumber yards,
cap. $15,000; 1 furnace, 6 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 9 cotton
fac. 32,680 sp., 2 dyeing establishments, 2 tanneries, 1
pottery, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers, 3 grist m., 4
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,436,300. 22 sch. 1,020 scholars. Pop.
Fall Run, p-o., Harrison co., Va., 248 n. w. Richmond, 234 W.
Falls, p-t., Wyoming co., Pa., 153 s. E. Harrisburg, 257 W. It
is situated on the E. side of the Susquehanna r. The surface is
uneven, and in part mountainous. The soil is productive in
grain, grass, and lumber. Watered by Buttermilk Falls c, which
has a perpendicular fall of 30 feet. It has 5 stores, cap.
$18,400; 2 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,900. 8 sch.
295 scholars. Pop. 2,103.
Falls, t., Bucks co., Pa., 25 n. e. Philadelphia. It derives its
name from the falls of the Delaware r., opposite to Trenton. The
surface is rolling; soil, loam and sand. Watered by Penn's and
Scott's creeks. A bridge connects this place with Trenton. It
has 4 stores, capital $13,500; 1 flouring m., 2 grist m. Cap. in
manufac. $10,000. 5 sch. 172 scholars. Pop. 2,058.
Falls, t., Hocking co., O. It contains the v. of Logan, the
capital of the co. It has 2 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 1,625.
Falls, p-o, Lincoln co., N. C, 191 w. by s. Raleigh, 42S W.
Fallsburgh, p-t., Sullivan co., N. Y, 197 s. w. Albany, 304 W.
The surface is hilly; soil, gravelly loam. Drained by Neversink
r., and head branches of Roundout cr. The v. is situated on
Neversink r., which here affords good water power. It has 2
stores, 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 3 saw m., 20 dwellings, and about
125 in-habitants. There are in the t., 6 stores, cap. $35,400; 3
tanneries, 4 grist m., 19 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $125,391. 13
sch. 359 scholars. Pop. 1,782
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!