American History and Genealogy Project

Fayette NY to Fleming, County, Ky

Page 210

Fayette, p-t., Seneca co., N. Y., 178 w. Albany, 331 W. The surface is level; soil, productive. It is bounded by Cayuga lake on the E. and Seneca lake on the w. Seneca r. flows on its n. w. border, and several small tributaries enter it from this t. Seneca r. and Canoga or., which flows from a warm spring, afford wa-ter power. Gypsum and limestone are found. It has 4 stores, cap. $1,200; 1 tannery, 2 flouring m., 2 grist m., 4 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. 811,166. 9 sch. 430 scholars. Pop. 3,731.

Fayette, v., and port of entry, Hanover t., Chautauque co., N. Y. Situated at the mouth of Silver creek, on Lake Erie. It contains 1 church, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 clothier's works, 1 distillery, and a good steamboat landing.

Fayette, v., Guilford t., Chenango co., N. Y. It contains 1 Episcopal and 1 Methodist church, 3 stores, 1 grist m., 2 saw m., and 2 tanneries.

Fayette, p-t., Alleghany co., Pa., 214 w. Harrisburg, 239 W. The surface is hilly; soil, loam. Coal is abundant. Drained by branches of Chartiers cr. It has 4 stores, cap. $9,000; 3 tanneries, 5 flouring m., 5 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,800. 14 sch. 420 scholars. Pop. 2,484.

Fayette, p-v., Cecil co., Md., 87 n. e. Annapolis, 91 W.

Fayette, p-v., capital of Jefferson co., Miss., 80 s. w. Jackson, 25 n. e. Natchez, 1,091 W. It is very pleasantly situated, and contains a court house, church, and several neat dwellings.

Fayette, t., Lawrence co., O. It has 6 sch. 115 scholars. Pop. 842.

Fayette, t., Hillsdale co., Mich. It has 9 stores, cap. $50,000; 1 printing office, 3 weekly newspapers. 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. si 9,000. 3 sch. 181 scholars. Pop. 807.

Fayette, p-v., capital of Howard co., Mo., 61 N. w. Jefferson city, 966 W. Situated on the e. side of Bonne Femme cr. It has a court house, a U. S. land office, a college, an academy, two churches, 15 stores, and 1,000 inhabitants.

Fayette, p-v., Greene co., Ill., 57 s. w. Springfield, 829 W.

Fayette Corner, p-v., Fayette co., Tenn., 77 s. Nashville, 862 W.

Fayette, C. H., p-v., capital of Fayette co., Ala., 40 n. w. Tuscaloosa, 842 W. Situated 2 ms. w. of Sipsey r. It contains a court house, and several dwellings.

Fayetteville, p-v., Newfane t., capital of Windham co., Vt., 115 s. Montpelier, 434 W. It contains a court house, jail, a Congregational church, and an academy. The site is elevated, and the prospect from it extensive and picturesque.

Fayetteville, p-v., Manlius t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 123 w. by n. Albany, 348 W. Situated near the Erie canal, with which it is connected by a feeder. It contains 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, an academy, 6 stores, 1 flouring m., 2 saw m., 1 tannery, 120 dwellings, and about 800 inhabitants.

Fayetteville, p-v., Green t., Franklin co., Pa., 52 w. s. w. Harrisburg, 94 W. Situated on the turnpike from Gettysburg to Chambersburg, 18 ms. from the former, and 9 from the latter.

Fayetteville, p-v., capital of Fayette co., Va., 289 w. Richmond, 326 W. Situated 2 ms. w. of New River, a little above its junction with Gauley r. to form the Great Kanawha. It contains a courthouse and several dwellings.

Fayetteville, p-v., capital of Cumberland co., N. C, is situated 1 mile from the w. bank of Cape Fear r., at the head of uninterrupted boat I navigation, in 53° 3' n. lat., 79° 58' w. Ion., 60 s. Raleigh, 95 n. n. w. Wilmington, 159 n. e. Columbia, 318 W. Pop. 1820, 3,532; 1830, 2,868; 1810, 4,285. It is regularly laid out, with streets 100 feet wide. It has 3 churches, a court house, 2 banks, and a U. S. arsenal of construction. Its trade in grain, flour, tobacco, and naval stores, is considerable. In 1831, a most disastrous fire destroyed a considerable portion of the place, which so excited the sympathies of the people through-out the United States, that they contributed about $92,000 for the relief of the sufferers. The place has in a great measure recovered from the disaster. There were in 1840, 52 stores, cap. $372,400; 7 cotton fac. 13,234 sp., 1 flouring m., 4 grist m., 2 saw m., 2 oil m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $384,000. 4 acad. 150 students, 4 sch. 95 scholars.

Fayetteville, p-v., capital of Fayette co., Ga., 85 w. n. w. Milledgeville, 689 W. Situated on a branch of Flint r. It contains a courthouse, jail, and about 60 dwellings.

Fayetteville, p-v., Talladega co., Ala., 87 E. Tuscaloosa, 780 W.

Fayetteville, p-v., capital of Lincoln co., Tenn., 86 s. Nashville, 716 W. Situated on the N. side of Elk r. It contains a court house and several stores and dwellings.

Fayetteville, p-v., capital of Washington co., Ark., 196 n. w. Little Rock, 1,185 W. Situated on the n. w. side of White r., and contains the usual county buildings, a U. S. land office, and several stores and dwellings. The t. has 1 sch. Pop. 425.

Fayetteville. p-v.. Perry t., Brown co., O. 94 s. w. Columbus, 467 W.

Fayetteville, p-v., St. Clair co., Ill., 100 s. Springfield, 810 W. Situated on the w. side of Kaskaskia r. It has an elevated and pleasant situation. It was long known as Pulliam's Ferry.

Fayston, t., Washington co., Vt.., 16 w. s. w. Montpelier. The surface is mountainous; soil, along the streams, fertile. Watered by Mad r. Chartered in 1782. It has 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,075. 5 schools, 167 scholars. Pop. 635.

Fearing, p-t., Washington co., O., 109 e. s. e. Columbus, 305 W. Situated on the main waters of Duck creek. The surface is broken and hilly, but the soil is good for grain and grazing. Duck cr. affords water power. It has 7 sch. 274 scholars. Pop. 1,019.

Fearn's Strings, p-o., Winston co., Miss., 108 N. e. Jackson, 906 W.

Fearnsville, p-o., Isle of Wight co., Va.

Feastersville, p-o., Bucks co., Pa., 115 e. Harrisburg, 155 W.

Federalsburg, p-v., Dorchester co., Md., 65 s. e. Annapolis, 105 W. Situated on Marshy Hope cr.

Federal Store, p-o., Dutchess co., N. Y., 59 s. Albany, 326 W.

Federalton, p-v., Rome t., Athens co., O., 92 s. e. Columbus, 326 W. Situated on the e. side of Hocking r., at the mouth of Federal cr.

Feeding Hills, p-o., Hampden co., Ms., 97 w. by s. Boston, 359 W.

Feesburgh, p-o., Brown co., O., 112 s. by w. Columbus, 474 W.

Felchville, p-o., Windsor co., Vt., 64 s. Montpelier, 474 VV.

Feliciana, p-v., Graves co., Ky., 294 w. Frankfort, 820 W.

Felicity, p-v., Franklin t., Clermont co., O., 118 s. s. w. Columbus, 478 W. Situated 4 m. from Ohio r., 35 above Cincinnati. It contains 2 brick churches, 8 stores, various mechanic shops, 80 dwellings, and about 500 inhabitants. It is surrounded by a rich country.

Page 211

Felix, p-o., Morgan co., Mo., 45 w. Jefferson city, 981 W.

Feltoxsville, p-v., Middlesex co., Ms., 30 Boston, 417 W.

Felts Mills, p-v., Rutland t., Jefferson co., N. V., 162 n. w. Albany, 424 W.

Femme Osage, p-t., St. Charles co., Mo., 82 e. Jefferson city, 864 W. The v. is situated on the n. bank of Missouri r., and is an old French settlement. Pop. of the t. 1,358.

Fenner, p-t., Madison co., N. Y., 112 w. by N. Albany, 355 W. The surface is undulating; soil, a fertile clay and gravelly loam. Drained by Canaseraga and Chittenango creeks. It has 1 tannery, 2 distilleries, 2 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,600. 13 sch. 396 scholars. Pop. 1,997.

Fennersville, p-o., Monroe co., Pa., 118 x. E. Harrisburg, 209 W.

Fen's Bridge, p-o., Jefferson co., Ga., 46 e. Milledgeville, 650 W.

Fenter, t., Hot Spring co., Ark. It has 5 stores, cap. $2,450; 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Pop. 679.

Fenton, p-v., St. Louis co., Mo., 137 e. Jefferson city, 82b W. Situated on the Marrimec r.

Fentonville, p-v., Fenton t., Genesee co., Mich., 57 n. x. w. Detroit, 579 W. It contains a store, a saw m., and several mechanic shops. Pop. of the t. 660.

Fentress, county, Tenn. Situated in the x. part of the state, and contains 560 sq. ms. Watered by branches of Obey's r. and White Oak cr. Capital, Jamestown. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,576, sheep 2,990, swine 12,656; wheat 8,973 bush, produced, Ind. corn 125,330, oats 26,041, potatoes 6,751, tobacco 8,366 pounds, sugar 14,478; 3 stores, cap. $10,000; 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 17 distilleries, 14 grist m., 6 saw n. Cap. in manufac. §8,230. Pop. whites 3,465, slaves 80, free col'd 5; total, 3,550.

Fentriss, p-o., Guilford co., N. C.

Fernandina, p-v., Nassau co., Flor., 313 e. Tallahassee, 776 W. Situated on the n. part of Amelia Island. It has the best harbor s. of Chesapeake Bay. It contains several stores and neat dwellings.

Ferguson, t., Centre co., Pa., lis. Bellefonte. The surface is mountainous; soil, in the valleys, calcareous loam. Drained by Spring cr. and its branches. Iron ore is abundant. It has 4 stores, cap. $9,200; 3 tanneries, 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $12,700. 6 sch. 200 scholars. Pop. 1,254.

Ferrisburg, t., Addison co., Vt., 19 s. Burlington, 34 w. Montpelier. Drained by Otter cr., navigable 8 ms. to Vergennes, Little Otter and Lewis creeks, which afford water power. Lake Champlain bounds it on the w. The surface is hilly N., level to the w. The soil is very fertile, adapted to grain and to grazing. Bason harbor is an excellent port on Lake Champlain, which has considerable trade. It has 3 stores, cap. 83,000; 1 fulling m, 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $15,700. 1 acad. 20 students, 11 sch. 293 scholars. Pop. 1,755.

Fetherolpville, p-o., Berks co., Pa., 78 e. by n. Harrisburg, 170 W.

Fife, p-o., Talladega co., Ala., 128 e. Tuscaloosa, 745 W.

Fife's, p-o., Goochland co., Va., 43 w. Richmond, 117 W.

Fincastle, p-v., capital of Botetourt co., Va., 175 w. Richmond, 225 W. Pleasantly situated on the s. e. declivity of Catawba valley. It contains a court house, 4 churches, an academy, a printing office, issuing a weekly newspaper, 1 flouring m., a carding machine, various mechanic shops, 300 dwellings, and about 800 inhabitants.

Fincastle, p-v.. Eagle t., Brown co., O., 100 s. by w. Columbus, 465 W.

Fincastle. p-v., Campbell co., Tenn., 206 e. by n. Nashville, 504 W. It is 6 ms. n. of Powels r., and contains 18 inhabitants.

Finch, t., Jefferson co., Wis. It has 1 store, cap. 82,500; 2 sch. 21 scholars. Pop. 143.

Finchville, p-o., New Hope t., Orange co., N. Y., 115 s. by w. Albany, 273 W.

Finksburg, p-v., Carroll co., Md., 51 x. w. Annapolis, 61 W.

Findlay, t., Alleghany co., Pa., 15 x. w. Pittsburg. The surface is hilly; soil, loam. Drained by branches of Racoon cr. and by Monture's run. It has 4 stores, cap. $5,600; 3 tanneries, 2 flouring m., 2 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,400. 7 sch. 245 scholars. Population, 1,367.

Findley, p-t., capital of Hancock co., O., 90 x. w. Columbus, 456 W. The v. is situated on the s. side of Blanchard's fork of Auglaize r. It was laid out in 1823. It contains a court house, jail, 2 stores, 50 dwellings, and 469 inhabitants. There are in the t. 10 stores, cap. $29,250; 2 tanneries, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $15,777. 3 sch. 96 scholars. Pop. 554.

Finleyville, p-v., Peters t., Washington co., Pa., 195 s. w. Harrisburg, 222 W.

Finney's Mills, p-o., Amelia co., Va., 51 s. w. Richmond, 170 W.

Fireplace, p-v., Brookhaven t., Suffolk co., N. V., 212 s. e. Albany, 292 W. Situated on the n. of Fireplace Bay, and contains about 25 dwellings.

Fishdam, p-v., Wake co., N. C, 22 s. w. Raleigh, 282 W.

Fishdam, p-v., Union dist., S. C, 61 x. w. Columbia, 467 W. Situated on w. side of Broad r

Fisher's, p-o., Lincoln co., N. C, 71 Raleigh, 408 W.

Fishersborough, p-v., Franklin co., Va., 175 w. s. w. Richmond, 250 W.

Fishersburgh, p-o., Madison co., Ia.

Fishersville, p-v., Windham co., Ct., 50 e. by x. Hartford, 386 W.

Fishersville, p-o., Augusta co., Va. Fisher's Island, N. Y., lies off the e. end of Long Island, 14 ms. from the shore. It is 8 ms. long and 1 wide, owned by one proprietor, and sustains a very productive dairy.

Fish House, v., Northampton t., Fulton co., N. Y. Situated on Sacandaga r., a branch of the Hudson, on a beautiful plain, and has 1 church, 7 stores, 40 dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants. Founded by Sir William Johnson, who here erected a house for fishing, and for trading with the Indians.

Fishing Creek, p-o., Cape May co., N. J., situated on a small creek of the same name, which; flows 5 ms. to Delaware Bay.

Fishing Creek, p-t.. Columbia co., Pa., 101 x. by e. Harrisburg, 212 W. The surface is mountainous; soil, clay and gravel. Watered by Fishing cr. It has 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,700. 3 sch. 82 scholars. Pop. 904.
Fishing Creek, p-o., Tyler co., Va.

Fishkill, p-t., Dutchess co., N. Y, 88 s. Albany. The surface is undulating n., mountainous s. The soil is very fertile. Watered by; Wappinger's cr. and Fishkill cr., which flow into the Hudson r., which last bounds it on the w. It has several convenient landings. The central v. is on Fishkill cr., 5 ms. E. of Fishkill Landing. It contains 3 churches, an academy, 8 stores, and about 800 inhabitants. The t. presents much grand and picturesque scenery. It has 29 stores, cap. $98,600; 2 lumber yards, cap. $6,000; 1 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 3 cotton fac. 11,912 sp., 5 tanneries, 7 flouring m., 6 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $817,050. 3 acad. 49 students, 20 sch. 887 scholars. Pop. 10,437.

Page 212

Fishkill Landing, p-v., Fishkill t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 90 s. Albany, 287 W. It is situated at the entrance of Fishkill cr. into Hudson r., opposite to Newburgh, with which it is connected by a steam ferry. It contains 3 churches, 1 Dutch Reformed, 1 Episcopal, and 1 Methodist, 10 stores, 1 iron foundry, 1 grist m., and 1 machine shop on Fishkill cr., which affords good water power. It has 120 dwellings, and about 900 in-habitants.

Fishkill Plains, p-o., Fishkill t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 88 s. Albany, 308 W.

Fishkill Mountains, called also the Highlands of Hudson r., or Matteawan Mountains, are composed of primitive rocks, and may be regarded as a branch of the Alleghany mountains.

Fishing River, t., Ray co., Mo. It has 3 schools. Pop. 1,845.

Fish Point, p-o., Rockcastle co., Ky., 85 s. w. Frankfort, 553 W.

Fish's Mills, p-o., Penobscot co., Me., 164 n. e. Augusta, 759 W.

Fish's Store, p-o., Washington co., Ga., 38 s. E. Milledgeville, 666 W.

Fisksburg, p-v., Kenton co., Ky., 44 n. n. e. Frankfort, 512 W. Situated on the w. side of Licking r.

Fisksville, p-v., Providence co., R. I., 13 s. w. Providence, 403 W.

Fitchburg, p-t., Worcester co., Ms., 46 w. n. w. Boston, 423 W. Chartered in 1764. Watered by a branch of Nashua r., which affords a very extensive water power, and on winch are many manufactories. The surface is hilly; soil, fertile. It has 7 stores, cap. $22,200; 12 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 4 cotton fac. 3,820 sp., 1 tannery, 3 paper fac, 1 printing office, 2 binderies, 1 weekly newspaper, 2 flouring m., 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $188,155. 1 acad. 160 students, 17 sch. 837 scholars. Pop. 2,604.

Fitchport, p-v., Garrard co., Ky., 44 s. s. e. Frankfort, 542 W.

Fitchville, p-t., Huron co., O., 98 n. by e. Columbus, 389 W. The soil is productive, and highly cultivated by enterprising farmers from the e. The village contains 2 stores, and a number of dwellings. There are in the t., 2 stores, cap. $12,000; 1 tannery, 1 brewery. Cap. in manufac. $500. 9 sch. 320 scholars. Pop. 1,292.

Fitzwilliam, p-t., Cheshire co., N. H., 60 s. w. Concord, 423 W. The surface is hilly and rough, but much of the soil is productive, well adapted to grazing. It contains several large ponds. Drained by Camp and Priest brooks. It has 3 stores, cap. $13,000; 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac $29,850. 1 acad. 43 students, 12 sch. 425 scholars. Pop. 1,366.

Five Corners, p-o., Geneva t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 178 w. Albany, 311 W.

Flag Spring, p-o., Campbell co., Ky., 90 n. n. e. Frankfort, 497 W.

Flag Spring, p-o., Gallia co., O., 94 s. s. e. Columbus, 387 W.

Flag Creek, p-o., Cook co., Ill., 188 n. e. Springfield, 735 W.

Flaggtown, p-v., Hillsborough t., Somerset co., N. J., 24 n. e. Trenton, 196 W. It contains 12 or 15 dwellings.

Flanders, p-v., Southampton t., Suffolk co., N. Y., 229 s. E. Albany, 309 W. Situated s. side of Little Peconic bay, and has 12 or 15 houses.

Flanders, p-v., Roxbury t., Morris co., N. J., 55 n. e. Trenton, 225 W. Situated at the e. foot of Schooley's Mountain. It contains a Methodist church, 2 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., and about 25 or 30 dwellings.

Flatbrookville, p-o., Sandystone t., Sussex co., N. J., 85 n. Trenton, 242 W.

Flatbush, p-t., Kings co., N. Y., 151 s. Albany, 5 s. E. New York, 231 W. Surface level, with some hills; soil, light loam and sand, fertile when well cultivated. The v. is pleasantly situated on a plain, 4 miles s. e. Brooklyn. It contains 1 Dutch Reformed and 1 Episcopal Church, Erasmus Hall academy, an old and flourishing institution, 2 stores, 50 dwellings, and about 400 in-habitants. Near the n. w. boundary of the t., the battle of Flatbush or of Long Island was fought, in 1776. in which the Americans were defeated with great loss. It has 4 stores, cap. $7,500. Cap. in manufac. $3,950. 3 acad. 242 students, 3 sch. 154 scholars. Pop. 2,099.

Flat Creek, p-o., Bedford co., Tenn., 66 s. s. e. Nashville, 689 W.

Flat Creek, t., Taney co., Mo. Pop. 181.

Flat Creek, p-o., Barry co., Mo., 214 s. w. Jefferson city, 1,129 W.

Flat Creek, t., Pettis co., Mo. Pop. 621.

Flatlands, t., Kings co., N. Y., 8 s. e. Brooklyn, 153 s. Albany. The surface is level; soil, sandy loam and sand. To this t. are attached Barren Island, and some other islands, yielding salt hay. The v. contains 1 Dutch Reformed church, 2 stores, 20 dwellings, and 100 inhabitants. There are in the t. 2 stores, cap. $4,800. Cap. in manufac. $7,000. 2 sch. 95 scholars. Pop. 810.

Flat Lick, p-o., Claiborne par., La., 401 n. w. New Orleans, 1,271 W.

Flat River, p-o., Kent co., Mich., 148 w. n. w. Detroit, 633 W.

Flat Rock, p-o., Powhatan co., Va., 26 w. Richmond, 143 W.

Flat Rock, p-o., Henderson co., N. C, 280 w. by s. Raleigh, 510 W.

Flat Rock, p-o., Kershaw dist., S. C, 49 n. e. Columbia, 457 W.

Flat Rock, p-o., Henry co., Ga., 78 w. n. w. Milledgeville, 675 W.

Flat Rock, p-o., Bourbon co., Ky., 54 e. Frankfort, 516 W.

Flat Rock, t" Henry co., O. It has 4 stores, cap. $2,600; 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,000. 1 sch. 25 scholars. Pop. 475.

Flat Rock, p-o., Shelby co., Ia., 61 s. e. Indianapolis, 576 W. Situated on a creek of the same name, an important mill stream.

Flat Shoals, p-o., Meriwether co., Ga., 89 w. Milledgeville, 708 W.

Flat Woods, p-o., Braxton co., Va., 311 w. N. w. Richmond, 279 W.

Fleetville, p-v., Luzerne co., Pa., 158 n. e. Harrisburg, 264 W.

Fleetwood Academy, p-o., King and Queen co., Va., 36 e. n. e. Richmond, 124 W.

Fleming, County, Ky. Situated in the N. E. part of the state, and contains 570 sq. ms. The e. and s. parts are mountainous; the remainder is undulating. The soil is fertile, underlain with limestone. Licking r. runs on its s. w. border. Capital, Flemingsburg. There were in 1840, neat cattle 10,848, sheep 18,240, swine 32,677; wheat 149,286 bush, produced, rye 12,873, Indian corn 594,812, oats 127,705, potatoes 16,605, tobacco 20,173 pounds, sugar 93,010; 8 com. houses, cap. $11,500; 23 stores, cap. $165,400; 1 woolen fac, 11 tanneries, 3 distilleries, 8 flouring m., 25 grist m., 13 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 printing office, 1 newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $112,384. 2 acad. 169 students, 15 sch. 469 scholars. Pop. whites 11,153, slaves 1,992, free colored 118; total, 13,268.

Table of Contents

Source: A Complete Descriptive And Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith, 1843

This book is a joint project between members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and Susan Dorris our finder!

Please Come Back Again!!

 

AHGP

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work