Fleming NY to Fordham, NY
Fleming, p-t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 4 s. Auburn, 128 w. Albany,
359 W. The surface is undulating; soil, a productive clay loam,
and well cultivated. Drained by Crane brook, and by small
streams entering Owasco Lake, which bounds it on the e. The v.
contains 2 churches, 1 store, 25 dwellings, and about 150
inhabitants. Pop. of the 1. 1,317. It has 1 store, cap. $6,000;
1 saw m., 8 sch. 406 scholars.
Fleming's, p-o., Weakley co., Tenn., 121 w. by n. Nashville, 806
Fleming's, p-o., Shelby co., Ia., 31 s. e. Indianapolis, 569 W.
Flemingsburg, p-v., capital of Fleming co., Ky.. 95 e. by n.
Frankfort, 483 W. Situated on Stockton run, 1 mile from its
junction with Fleming cr., and contains 5 churches, 1
Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, 1 Campbellite, and 1
Fullerite Baptist, 1 academy, and 1 seminary, a large and
splendid court house, of brick, with a cupola, bell, and clock,
6 stores, 65 dwellings, and 591 inhabitants.
Flemingsville, p-o., Owego t., Tioga co., N. Y., 159 s. w.
Albany, 280 W.
Flemington, p-v., Raritan t., capital of Hunterdon co., N. J.,
25 n. by w. Trenton, 185 W. Situated on a valley between the
mountains. The soil of the surrounding country is red shale, and
tolerably fertile. It contains 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Methodist, and 1 Baptist, a court house, of stone, rough cast,
with a front of columns of the Grecian Ionic order, containing
the county offices, in the basement of which is the jail; 60
dwellings, many of them with ornamented court yards; and about
350 inhabitants. It has a printing office, with a weekly
Flemington, p-v., Wake co., N. C, 15 n. w. Raleigh, 293 W.
Fletcher, p-t., Franklin co., Vt., 52 n. n. w. Montpelier, 540
W. Chartered in 1781. Watered at the s. extremity by Lamoille
r., by the head branch of Black cr., proceeding from a
considerable pond, by Fairfield r., and by Stone's brook. The
surface is broken, and the soil but moderately fertile. It has 2
stores, cap. $2,000; 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$2,200. 7 sch. 130 scholars. Pop. 1,014.
Fletcher, p-v., Brown t., Miami co., O., 66 w. by n. Columbus,
460 W. It contains 1 Methodist church, 3 stores, 15 mechanic
shops, and about 150 inhabitants.
Flicksville, p-v., Northampton co., Pa., 117 N. E. Harrisburg,
Flint, p-t., Genesee co., Mich., 61 n. w. Detroit, 585 W. It
contains 10 stores, 1 grist m., and 7 saw m. Pop. 984.
Flint Creek, p-o., Seneca t., Ontario co., N. Y., 184 w. Albany,
Flint Hill, p-o., Rappahannock co., Va., 125 n. n. w t .
Richmond, 77 W.
Flint Hill, p-o., Cabarras co., N. C, 143 w. 8. w. Raleigh, 330
Flint Hill, p-o., St. Charles co., Mo., 89 n. e. Jefferson City.
Flint Island, p-o., Mead co., Ky., 112 w. by 8. Frankfort, 651
Flint Mills, p-o., Washington co., O., 129 e. s. e. Columbus,
Flint, cr., N. Y., rises in Yates co., and flows s. into Ontario
co., where it enters the Canandaigua outlet.
Flint, r., Ga. The w. head branch rises in Campbell co., and the
e. in De Kalb co. Its whole length is 300 miles, its depth 6
feet, and its width 150 yards, where it enters the
Chattahoochee. Steamboats come up to Bainbridge, 50 miles above
Flint, r., Mich., one of the principal branches of Saginaw r.,
rises in Lapeer co., and pursuing a n. w., s. w., and then a n.
w. course, in Saginaw co. enters Saginaw r., 30 miles from its
mouth. It is 100 miles long, and affords, with its branches,
extensive water power. It is boatable 20 miles from its mouth.
Flint Rock, p-o., Lincoln co., N. C, 165 w. by s. Raleigh, 414
Flintstone, p-o., Alleghany co., Md., 154 N. w. Annapolis, 122
Flintville, p-v., Marion dist., S. C, 140 e. by n. Columbia, 459
Flora, p-o., Edgar co., Ill., 121 e. by s. Springfield, 658 W.
Florence, p-t., Oneida co., N. Y., 33 n. w. Utica, 129 w. n. w.
Albany, 414 W. The surface is gently undulating; soil, sandy
loam. Drained by tributaries of Fish cr. The lands are well
adapted to grazing. It has 1 store, cap. $6,000; 2 tanneries, 1
grist m., 10 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,200. 11 sch. 332
scholars. Pop. 1,259.
Florence, p-v., Washington co., Pa., 227 w. Harrisburg, 252 W.
Florence, p-t., St. Joseph co., Mich., 144 w. s. w. Detroit, 592
W. Pop. 523.
Florence, p-v., Stewart co., Ga., 153 s. w. Milledgeville, 794
W. Situated on the e. side of the Chattahoochee r.
Florence, p-v., capital, Lauderdale co., Ala., 135 n. by w.
Tuscaloosa, 780 W. Situated on the n. side of Tennessee r., 1
mile above the mouth of Cypress cr., and immediately below the
Muscle Shoals. When the water is not low, steamboats ascend to
this place, and it has great advantages for trade. It was laid
out in 1818, on an elevated plain, 100 feet above the river. The
streets are 100 feet wide, and cross each other at right angles.
It contains a court house, jail, a U. S. surveyor general's
office, 2 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, 2 female
academies, and about 2,000 inhabitants. There is a large cotton
fac. in the vicinity.
Florence, p-v., Boone co., Ky., 76 n. Frankfort, 502 W. It is
situated about 5 miles s. of the Ohio r., and contains about 100
Florence, p-t., Erie co., O., 112 n. by
e. Columbus, 391 W. It contains several extensive beds of iron
ore. There is a handsome village at the centre, which contains 3
stores. It has 12 sch. 635 scholars. Pop. 1,635.
Florence, t., Williams co., O. It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $8,000. Pop 119.
Florence, p-v., Louisa co., Iowa. Situated on Iowa River, which
is here crossed by a ferry. Here Black Hawk, the celebrated
Indian chief, resided, until 1832, and here the bones of Iris
Florence, p-v., Morgan co., Mo., 54 w. Jefferson City, 990 W.
Situated on the south fork of La Mine r.
Florence, p-v., Pike co. Ill. 59 w by s. Springfield, 839 W.
Florida, p-t, Berkshire co., Mass., 7 e. Adams, 121 w. by n.
Boston, 463 W. The surface is mountainous, and the soil chiefly
adapted to grazing. Watered by Cold r., a branch of Deerfield r.
It has 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $600. 5 sch. 100 scholars. Pop.
Florida, p-v., Warwick t., Orange co., N. Y., Ill s. s. w.
Albany, 273 W. It contains 2 churches, 5 stores, 2 grist m., 2
saw m., 40 dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants.
Florida, t., Montgomery co., N. Y., 34 n. n. w. Albany. The
surface is undulating; soil, fer-tile clay loam, well adapted to
wheat. Mohawk r. flows on its x. boundary, and Schoharie cr. on
the w. It has 8 stores, cap. 830,000; 1 woolen fac, 3 tanneries,
1 distillery, 4 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. §46,300. 8
sch. 250 scholars. Pop. 5,214.
Florida, p-t., Hillsdale co., Mich., 94 s. w. Detroit, 526 W. It
has a fertile soil, well adapted to grain. It has 1 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $800. Pop. 297.
Florida, p-v., Monroe co., Mo., 83 n. e. Jefferson City, 923 W.
It is on the n. side of the south fork of Salt r.
Florisant, p-v., St. Louis co., Mo., 131 E. Jefferson City, 837
Flower Creek, p-o., Pendleton co., Ky., 79 n. e. Frankfort, 521
Flowerfield, p-t., St. Joseph co., Mich., 154 s. w. Detroit, 603
W. It contains 1 flouring m. and 2 saw m., 5 sch. 76 scholars.
Floyd, County, Va., in the s. part of the
state, w. of the middle, contains 525 square miles. The surface
is mountainous, and the soil adapted to grazing. Watered by
Little r. and its branches. Capital, Jacksonville. There were in
1840, neat cattle 6,355, sheep 8,418, swine 12,555; wheat 23,889
bushels produced, rye 13,435, Indian corn 72,869, buckwheat
5,830, oats 77,073, potatoes 19,728, tobacco 17,579 pounds; 5
stores, cap. 10,900; 7 tanneries, 6 distilleries, 2 flouring m.,
29 grist m., 18 saw m., 3 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $3,950. 8 sch.
160 scholars. Pop. whites 4,123, slaves 321, free col'd 9;
Floyd, County, Ga., situated in the n. w. part
of the state, and contains 460 square miles. Watered by
Oostanaula and Etowah rivers, which unite in this county to form
the Coosa r. Cedar cr. runs in the s., and Chattooga cr. in the
n. part. Surface, uneven; soil, fertile on the margins of the
streams. Capital, Rome. There were in 1810, neat cattle 5,557,
sheep 1,416, swine 16,844; wheat 27,633 bushels produced, rye
1,358, Ind. corn 244,550, oats 16,124, potatoes 6,611, tobacco
3,706 pounds, cotton 142,397; 11 stores, cap. 36,025; 4
tanneries, 5 distilleries, 9 grist m., 8 saw m., 1 printing
office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $24,313. 3 acad. 79
students, 5 sch. 107 scholars. Pop. whites 3,165, slaves 1,271,
free col'd 5; total, 4,441.
Floyd, County, Ky. Situated in the E. part of
the state, and contains 1,400 sq. ms. The surface is elevated,
and considerably hilly and broken. Watered by the forks of Big
Sandy r. Kentucky and Licking rivers rise in this county.
Capital, Prestonburg. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,941,
sheep 3,059, swine 5,701; wheat 5,957 bushels produced, Ind.
corn 82,330, oats 5,881, potatoes 3,969, tobacco 2,365 pounds,
cot-ton 1,143, sugar 1,857, salt 1,200 bushels; 7 stores, cap.
22,400; 1 woolen fac, 4 tanneries, 24 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $21,800. Pop. whites 6,103, slaves 184, free col'd 15;
Floyd, County, la. Situated in the s. e. part
of the state, and contains 144 sq. ms. The surface is hilly, and
the soil fertile. Silver cr. runs on its e. border. Watered by
branches of Indian cr. The Ohio r. flows on its s. e. border.
Organized in 1819. Capital, New Albany. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 4,149, sheep 5,353, swine 10,426; wheat 30,116 bushels
produced, Indian corn 76,091, oats 56,541, potatoes 11,300; 84
stores, cap. $324,299; 2 lumber yards, capital $7,000; 10
tanneries, 1 brewery, 1 pottery, 9 flouring m., 2 grist m., 13
saw m., 1 oil m., 2 printing offices, 3 weekly newspapers. Cap.
in manufac. $143,700. 9 sch. 379 scholars. Pop. 9,454.
Floyd, p-t., Oneida co., N. Y., 8 n. Utica, 104 w. n. w. Albany,
398 W. The surface is rolling; soil, clay marl, well adapted to
grass. The Mohawk bounds it on the s., and along the r. are rich
alluvial flats. Nine Mile cr. drains it on the E. border. It has
1 store, cap. $3,000; 4 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 2 cotton fac.
3,000 sp., 1 distillery, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$32,075. 12 sch. 579 scholars. Pop. 1,742.
Floyd, C. H., p-o., (Jacksonville v.,) capital of Floyd co.,
Va., 215 w. s. w. Richmond, 290 W. It contains a handsome court
house, 2 stores, 1 tannery, and about 10 dwellings.
Floyd, t., Putnam co., Ia. It has 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 2 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $700. 2 sch. 25 scholars. Pop. 1,296.
Floydsburg, p-v., Oldham co., Ky., 37 w. by N. Frankfort, 530 W.
Situated on Floyd's cr., a branch of Salt river. Contains about
Fluke's, p-o., Botetourt co., Va., 162 w. Richmond, 231 W.
Flushing, p-t., Queens co., N. Y.,9 e. by n. New York, 155 s.
Albany, 235 W. The surface is level, except a stony ridge on the
s. The soil is a sandy loam, with some clay, and well
cultivated. Long Island sound bounds it on the n., Flushing bay
on the w., and Little Neck bay on the e. The v. is situated at
the head of Flushing bay. Incorporated in 1837. It contains 6
churches, 1 Episcopal, 2 Methodist, 1 Roman Catholic, 2 Friends,
(1 orthodox and 1 Hicksite,) 1 male seminary, and 1 female, 12
stores, 175 dwellings, and about 2,000 inhabit-ants. Steamboats
connect it daily with New York, and it is much frequented in the
summer months. St. Paul's College, 2 ms. n., on College Point,
is a respectable Episcopal seminary. There are in the t., 11
stores, cap. $30,750; 1 distillery, 1 printing office, 1
flouring m., 1 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $43,600. 1 college, 36
students, 3 acad. 140 students, 8 sch. 369 scholars. Pop. 4,124.
Flushing, p-t., Belmont co., O., 110 e. by n. Columbus, 233 W.
The inhabitants are chiefly of the Society of Friends. Watered
by Stillwater cr., which affords water power, and on which are
several grist and saw m. The v. contains 3 stores, various
mechanics, and about 150 inhabitants. It has 2 sch. 23 scholars.
Flushing, p-t., Genesee co., Mich., 67 n. w. Detroit, 591 W.
Fluvanna, County, Va. Situated, centrally, in
the e. part of the state, and contains 416 sq. ms. Organized in
1777. James r. runs on its s. border. The Ravenna r. passes
through it. The surface is generally broken; but between the
rivers is a level tract of barren land. The soil on the rivers
is good. The gold region passes through the county, and is
worked near Palmyra, the capital. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 5,372, sheep 6,052, swine 9,264; wheat 62,418 bushels
produced, Ind. corn 181,900, oats 70,813, I potatoes 7,661,
tobacco 1,279,777 pounds, cotton 2,392; 17 stores, cap.
$126,300; 1 lumber yard, cap. $1,500; 1 tannery, 4 flouring m.,
26 grist m., 30 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $97,201. 18 sch. 418
scholars. Pop. whites 4,445, slaves 4,146, free col'd 221;
Fluvanna, p-o., Ellicott t., Chautauque co., N. Y., 335 w. by s.
Albany, 322 W.
Fogelsville, p-o., Macungy t., Lehigh co., Pa., 82 e. n. e.
Harrisburg, 175 W. It has a store and 8 or 10 dwellings.
Fonda, p-v., capital of Montgomery county, in Mohawk t., N. Y.,
42 w. Albany, 406 W. Situated on the n. side of Mohawk r., and
contains a court house, jail, 5 stores, a large flouring m., 1
saw m., 1 plaster m., 1 carding machine, 1 thresh-ing machine
fac, 50 dwellings, and about 350 inhabitants. The Utica and
Schenectady rail-road passes through the place.
Fond du Lac, County, Wis., situated in the n.
e. part of the ter., and contains 400 square miles. About one
sixth of the surface is prairie, and there are some swamps. Fox
r. runs on its N. border, and Lake Winnebago lies on its n. e.
border. Drained by Rock and Milwaukie rivers, and Crocodile and
Martin's creeks. Capital, Fond du Lac. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 355, swine 208; wheat 320 bushels produced, Ind. corn
1,918, oats 1,315, potatoes 3,961, sugar 3,220 pounds; 1 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $1,000. Pop. 139.
Fond du Lac, p-v., capital of Fond du Lac co., Wis., 98 n. e.
Madison, 945 W. Situated at the head of Lake Winnebago.
Forbush, p-o., Surry co., N. C, 136 w. n. w. Raleigh, 344 W.
Fordham, v., Westchester co., N. Y., 12½ New York City Hall. It
contains 1 Presbyterian Church, 2 stores, 40 dwellings, and St.
John' Roman Catholic College, established in 1841, with a large
and commodious edifice. It is on the line of the Harlem
railroad, and has a depot.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!