American History and Genealogy Project

Franklin, PA to Freedom, NH

Page 223

Franklin, Fayette co., Pa., 9 n. Union. The surface is hilly; soil, loam. Watered by Youghiogheny r. and Redstone cr. It has 1 store, cap. $2,500; 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,050. 5 sch. 235 scholars. Pop. 1,396.

Franklin, t, Susquehanna co., Pa. It has 1 tannery. Cap. in manufac. $550. 5 sch. 120 scholars. Pop. 515.

Franklin, t., Armstrong co., Pa. It has 1 store, cap. $1,500; 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 5 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $33,910. 3 sch. 71 scholars. Pop. 1,713.

Franklin, t., Adams co., Pa. The surface is level; soil, red shale. Watered by Conewago and Conecocheague creeks, and branches of Marsh cr. It has 6 stores, cap. $13,500; 1 full-ing m., 2 woolen fac, 6 tanneries, 6 flouring m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac $39,400. 6 sch. 215 scholars. Pop. 1,698.

Franklin, t., York co., Pa., 4 Harrisburg, 100 W. Drained by a branch of Bermudian cr. It has 4 stores, cap. $6,000; 1 tannery, 3 distilleries, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufactures $17,000. Pop. 819.

Franklin, t., Huntingdon co., Pa. The sur-face is mountainous; soil, calcareous loam. Drained by the w. branch of Little Juniata r., on its s. boundary, and Warrior's run and Spruce cr. It has 6 stores, cap. $26,200; 2 furnaces, 8 forges, 2 woolen fac, 5 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,077. 7 sch. 210 scholars. Pop. 1,376.

Franklin, t, Bradford co., Pa. It has 1 store, cap. $3,000; 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac $5,620. 3 sch. 97 scholars. Pop. 351.

Franklin, t., Westmoreland co., Pa. It has 9 stores, cap. $17,100; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 3 tanneries, 1 pottery, 8 flouring m., 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $22,052. 4 sch. 50 scholars. Pop. 2,320.

Franklin, t., Greene co., Pa. The surface is rolling; soil, loam. Drained by Ten Mile creek and its tributaries. It contains Waynesburg borough, the capital of the co. It has 1 store, cap. $2,500; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 6 distilleries, 6 grist m., 8 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $17,715. 6 sch. 158 scholars. Pop. 1,486.

Franklin, t., Alleghany co., Pa. It has 2 stores, cap. $1,000; 4 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,900. 5 sch. 205 scholars. Pop. 955.

Franklin, p-v., Baltimore co., Md., 34 n. Annapolis, 44 W. Situated on the n. bank of the s. branch of Potomac r., 20 miles from its source. It contains 2 stores, 2 tanneries, various mechanics, 40 dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants.

Franklin, p-v., capital of Pendleton co., Va., 171 n. w. Richmond, 171 W. Situated on the w. side of the s. branch of Potomac r. It contains a court house, jail, and about 40 dwellings, or other buildings.

Franklin, p-v., capital of Macon co., N. C, 33 W. by s. Raleigh, 561 W. Situated on the w. side of a s. branch of Tennessee r. It contains a court house and several dwellings.

Franklin, p-v., capital, Heard co., Ga., 134 w. Milledgeville, 738 W. Situated on the e. side of the Chattahoochee, and contains a court house, jail, 1 Methodist church, and 30 dwellings.

Franklin, p-v., and depot, Henry co., Ala., 222 s. E. Tuscaloosa, 830 W. It is on the Montgomery and West Point railroad, 33½ miles from Montgomery.

Franklin, p-v., Holmes co., Miss., 55 n. Jackson, 1,004 W. Situated on Big Cypress cr.

Franklin, p-v., capital of St. Mary's par., La., 144 w. by s. New Orleans, 1,315 W. Situated on the w. side of the Bayou Teche. It contains a court house and several dwellings.

Franklin, p-v., capital of Williamson co., Tenn., 18 s. Nashville, 695 W. Situated on the s. side of Harpeth r., and contains a court house, jail, several stores and dwellings.

Franklin, p-v., capital of Simpson co., Ky., 164 s. w. Frankfort, 633 W. Situated on the w. side of Drake's cr., a branch of Barren r. It contains a court house, jail, a church, and several dwellings.

Franklin, p-t., Warren co., O., 84 w. s. w. Columbus, 474 W. Situated on the e. bank of Great Miami r., above the mouth of Clear creek The Miami canal passes through it. It contains 2 churches, and has a printing office, which is-sues a weekly newspaper.

Franklin, t., Adams co., O. It has 3 stores, cap. $12,000; 1 flouring m., 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Pop. 1,355.

Franklin, t., Brown co., O. Pop. 1,199.

Franklin, t., Clermont co., O. Ohio r. runs on its s. border. It has 4 stores, cap. $13,150; 2 tanneries, 2 flouring m., 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $22,000. 2 sch. 97 scholars. Pop. 2,218.

Franklin, t., Coshocton co., O. Situated on the e. side of Muskingkum r. Organized in 1814. Pop. 670.

Franklin, t., Columbiana co., O. It has 5 sch. 344 scholars. Pop. 894.
Franklin, t., Darke co., O. Pop. 300.

Franklin, t., Franklin co., O. Situated on the w. side of Scioto r. Organized in 1804. It has 2 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 1,116.

Franklin, t., Harrison co., O. It has 4 sch. 119 scholars. Pop. 1,117.

Franklin, t., Knox co., O. It has 10 sch. 339 scholars. Pop. 1.337.

Franklin, t., Licking co., O. The national road passes through it. Pop. 1,131.

Franklin, t., Monroe co., O. It has 1 sch. 50 scholars. Pop. 1,137.

Franklin, t., Richland co., O. The soil is rich. Drained by the head waters of Mohiccan cr. It has 341 scholars in schools. Pop. 1,490.

Franklin, t., Ross co., O. Situated on the w. side of Scioto r. Pop. 539.

Franklin, t., Shelby co., O. It has 1 sch. 15 scholars. Pop. 647.

Franklin, t, Jackson co., O. It has 1 store, cap. $200. 2 sch. 58 scholars. Pop. 1,055.

Franklin, t., Wayne co., O. It has cap. in manufac. $50. Pop. 1,504.

Franklin, t., Lenawee co., Mich. It has 2 stores, cap. $6,000; 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac $1,500. 7 sch. 305 scholars. Pop. 1,023.

Franklin, p-v., Southfield t., Oakland co., Mich., 28 n. vv. Detroit, 550 W.

Franklin, p-v., capital, Johnson co., Ia., 20 s. Indianapolis, 591 W. Situated on the E. side of Youngs cr., on a high bluff, and contains a court house, 2 churches, 2 seminaries, 6 stores, and 400 inhabitants.

Page 224

Franklin, t., Floyd co., Ia. It has 3 stores, cap. $15,000; 1 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. 85,100. Pop. 606.

Franklin, t., Henry co., Ia. It has 1 store, cap. $2,700; 1 distillery, 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,450.

Franklin, t., Harrison co., Ia. It has 3 distilleries, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 sch. 30 scholars. Pop. 1,113.

Franklin, t., Owen co., Ia. It has 19 stores, cap. $39,425; 1 woolen foe, 4 tanneries, 8 distilleries, 1 brewery, 1 flouring m., 25 grist m., 16 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $29,565. 1 sch. 52 scholars. Pop. 865.

Franklin, t., Putnam co., Ia. It has 1 store, cap. $4,000; 1 distillery, 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,450. 1 sch. 17 scholars. Pop. 996.

Franklin, t., Marion co., Ia. It has 40 stores, cap. $31,000; 2 woolen foe, 1 cotton fa c. 500 sp., 2 tanneries, 1 brewery, 2 potteries, 3 printing offices, 2 binderies, 2 weekly and 1 semi-weekly newspapers, 1 flouring m., 5 grist m., 9 saw m., 2 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $43,875. Pop. 1,291.

Franklin, t., Montgomery' co., Ia. It has 5 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 947.

Franklin, t., Washington co., Ia. It has 1 store, cap. $2,000; 6 tanneries, 1 flouring m., 3 grist, m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $23,500. 5 sch. 115 scholars. Pop. 1,149.

Franklin, t., Wayne co., Ia. It has 5 sch. 115 scholars. Pop. 1,149.

Franklin, p-v., Morgan co., Ill., 43 w. s. w. Springfield, 815 W.

Franklin, p-t., Howard co., Mo., 53 n. w. Jefferson city, 967 W. The v. is pleasantly situated on the n. side of the Missouri r., at the mouth of Bonne Femme r. Pop. of the t. 2,015. 4 sch. 125 scholars.

Franklin, t., Livingston co., Mo. Pop. 587.

Franklin, p-v., Walworth co., Wis., 75 s. e. Madison, 798 W.

Franklin, t., Milwaukee co., Wis. It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,000. Pop. 243.

Franklin, t., Chicot co., Ark. Pop. 227. Franklin, t., Izard co., Ark. It has 1 sch. 26 scholars. Pop. 276.

Franklin, t., Sevier co., Ark. It has 1 sch. 12 scholars. Pop. 296.

Franklin, t., Union co., Ark. It has 1 sch. 12 scholars. Pop. 649.

Franklin Academy, p-o., Upson co., Ga., 76 w. by s. Milledgeville, 715 W.

Franklin City, p-v., Franklin t., Norfolk co., Mass., 28 w. by s. Boston, 427 W.

Franklindale, v., Fishkill t., Dutchess co., N. Y. It contains 1 church, 1 calico print fac, 1 comb foe, 1 large flouring m., and 30 or 40 dwellings.

Franklindale, p-o., Bradford co., Pa., 138 n. Harrisburg, 258 W.

Franklin Depot, p-o., Southampton co., Va., 80 s. s e. Richmond, 199 W.

Franklin Furnace, p-o., Hardiston t., Sussex co., N. J., 84 n. Trenton, 252 W.

Franklin Furnace, p-v., Green t., Scioto co., O., 105 s. Columbus, 421 W.

Franklin Mills, p-v., Franklin t., Portage co., O., 131 n. e. Columbus, 325 W. Situated on the Cuyahoga r., which has here fine foils, creating a great water power. It contains a glass foe, several mills, and a pleasant village, containing some fine houses and stores. The Pennsylvania and Ohio canal passes through the v.

Franklin Square, p-v., Salem t., Columbiana co., O., 155 n. E. Columbus, 285 W. Situated at the junction of Cherry Fork, and Middle Fork of Little Beaver r. It contains 2 stores, 1 extensive woolen foe, 1 oil ra., 1 saw m., and about 30 dwellings.

Franklinton,' p-o., Middleburg t., Schoharie co., N. V.

Franklinton, p-o., Franklin co., N. C, 26 n. e. Raleigh, 262 W.

Franklinton, p-v., capital of Washington par., La., 68 N. by w. New Orleans, 1,129 W. Situated on Boguechitto r., and contains a court house, a Methodist church, an academy, 2 stores, and 50 inhabitants.

Franklintown, p-v., York co., Pa., 15 s. 8. vv. Harrisburg, 100 W.

Franklintown, p-v., Northampton co., Va., 163 e. by s. Richmond, 222 W.

Franklinville, p-t., Cattaraugus co., N. Y.. 280 w. by s. Albany, 327 W. The surface is undulating; soil, fertile clay, sandy and gravelly loam. Drained by Ischua and Great Valley crs. It has 3 stores, cap. $1,100; 2tanneries, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,035. 8 sch. 381 scholars. Pop. 1,293.

Franklinville, p-o., Harford co., Md.

Franklinville, p-v., Randolph co., N. C.

Franks, t., St. Francis co., Ark. It has 1 sch. 20 scholars. Pop. 565.

Frankstown, t., Huntingdon co., Pa., 116 w. Harrisburg, 164 W. The surface consists of mountain and valley; soil, calcareous loam, in the valleys. Frankstown branch of Juniata r. enters the t. through Frankstown Gap of Dun-ning' s Mountain, and receives Beaver Dam creek, on which, w. of Hollidaysburg, commences the railroad portage, across the Alleghany mountain, to Johnstown. It has 1 store, cap. $6,000; 1 dis-tillery, 3 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,910. 9 sch. 530 scholars. Pop. 1,499.

Frankstown, p-b., Frankstown t., Hunting-don co., Pa., 2 e. Hollidaysburg. Situated on Frankstown branch of Juniata r., and contains about 50 dwellings. It has 3 stores, cap. $18,000; 1 tannery, 1 saw m., 1 furnace. Cap. in manu-fac. $4,950. Pop. 357.

Frazer, p-o., Chester co., Pa., 74 e. s. e. Harrisburg, 131 W.

Frazeysburg, p-v., Jackson t., 3Iuskingum co., O., 61 e. Columbus, 354 W. Situated on the Ohio and Erie canal.

Frazier's Store, p-o., Lawrence co., Ia., 77 s. s. w. Indianapolis, 627 W.

Frazierville, p-o., Abbeville dist.. S. C, 88 w. Columbia, 538 W.

Frease's Store, p-o., Stark co., O., 108 n. e. Columbus, 328 W.

Frederica, p-v., Kent co., Del., 13 s. Dover. Situated on the n. side of Motherkill creek.

Frederica, p-v., Glynn co., Ga., 229 s. e. Milledgeville, 733 W. Situated on the w. side of St. Simon's Island. A fort was built here by Gen. Oglethorpe, in 1736, which is in ruins. The v. contains 10 or 15 houses.

Frederick, County, Md., extends across the state toward its w. part, and contains 750 square miles. The Potomac r. runs on its s. w. border. Drained by Monococy r. and Cotoctin cr., and their branches. The surface is level, or mode-rately uneven. The soil is generally fertile, and adapted to grain or grazing. Capital, Frederick. There were in 1840, neat cattle 21,046, sheep 21,375, swine 51,753; wheat 734,767 bushels produced, rye 221,550, Ind. corn 706.694, buck-wheat 3,520, oats 307,181, potatoes 101,087, silk I cocoons 1,435 pounds, tobacco 337,991; 102 ' stores, cap. $339,600; 7 lumber yards, capital $6,800; 4 furnaces, 9 fulling m., 7 woolen foe, 40 tanneries, 12 distilleries, 2 breweries, 3 potteries, 3 rope fac, 46 flouring m., 55 grist m., 80 saw m., 2 oil m., 3 paper fac., 4 printing offices, 2 binderies, 1 periodical, 4 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $520,605. 2 colleges, 283 students, 4 acad. 233 students, 61 sch. 2,291 scholars. Pop. whites 23,975, slaves 4,345, free col'd 2,935; total, 36,405.

Page 225


Frederick, County, Va. Situated in the n. E. part of the state, and contains 660 sq. miles. The surface is diversified, and the soil is various. Shenandoah river bounds it on the s. and s. e. Opequan, Sleepy, and Back creeks rise in this county, and flow into the Potomac r. The surface is uneven and broken; soil, very fertile. A railroad extends from Winchester to the Baltimore and Ohio railroad, at Harper's Ferry. Capital, Winchester. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,981, sheep 13,055, swine 13,262; wheat 173,239 bushels produced, rye 30,630, Ind. corn 300,107, buckwheat 8,451, oats 134,703, potatoes 36,935; 49 stores, cap. $237,000; 1 furnace, 4 fulling m., 5 woolen fac, 15 tanneries, 7 distilleries, 2 potteries, 1 rope fac, 25 flouring m., 20 grist m., 32 saw m., 1 paper fac, 2 printing offices, 1 bindery, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $226,135. 4 acad. 140 students, 5 sch. 134 scholars. Pop. whites 11,119, slaves 2,302, free col'd 821; total, 14,242.

Frederick, p-t., Montgomery co., Pa., 77 e. Harrisburg, 170 W. It has 4 stores, cap. $11,300; 2 tanneries, 2 powder m., 2 potteries, 4 grist m., 6 saw m., 6 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $17,000. 4 sch. 269 scholars. Pop. 1,217.

Frederick, city, p-v., capital of Frederick co., Md., 75 w. n. w. Annapolis, 43 W. It is the second place in importance in the state, being inferior only to Baltimore. Situated on Carroll's cr., a branch of Monococy cr., 3 miles w. of the latter. It is regularly laid out, with wide streets, crossing each other at right angles, many of them paved; and contains an elegant court house, a jail, and county offices, 12 churches, some of them large and handsome, several banks, several literary and scientific institutions, about 800 dwellings, mostly of stone or brick, many of them elegant, and 5,182 inhabitants. The religious denominations are German Lutherans, German Calvinists, Presbyterians, Episcopalians, Baptists, Methodists, and Roman Catholics. The great road from Baltimore to Wheeling passes through the place; and a branch railroad, 3 ms. long, connects it with the Baltimore and Ohio rail-road, near the Monococy viaduct. The country around is exceedingly fertile, and the trade of this place is extensive. It has 3 commission houses, and 37 retail stores, cap. $132,300; 2 lumber yards, cap. $6,000; 3 furnaces, 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 10 tanneries, 1 brewery, 1 pottery, 2 rope fac, 10 flouring m., 2 grist m., 3 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 paper fac, 4 printing offices, 1 bindery, 1 periodical, and 4 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $113,790. 2 acad. 163 students, 10 sch. 356 scholars.

Frederick, p-o., Milton t., Trumbull co., O., 157 Columbus, 305 W.

Frederick, t., Knox co., O. Pop. 444.

Fredfricksburg, p-o., Lebanon co., Pa.

Fredericksburg, city, Spottsylvania co., Va., is situated on the s. w. side of Rappahannock r., 1 10 ms. above the Chesapeake, in 38° 44' n. lat., and 77° 38' w. Ion. 66 e. of n. Richmond, 56 a. s. w. W. Pop. 1830, 3,307; 1840, 3,974. The city is regularly laid out, and presents a beautiful appearance from the heights by which it is sur-rounded. It has a court house, jail, comity offices, a market, and 5 churches, 1 Episcopal, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 1 Re-formed Baptist. It is supplied with excellent water from the Rappahannock, in pipes, laid by a joint-stock co. The falls of the Rappahannock, in the vicinity, afford good water power. It has a flourishing trade, exporting grain, flour, tobacco, Indian corn, &c Its exports have been computed at over $4,000,000 annually. It was named in honor of Prince Frederick, father of George III. There were in 1810, 73 stores, cap. $357,961; 2 tanneries, paints, drugs, &c, cap. $37,000; 1 grist m., 2 printing offices, 4 semi-weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $141,200. 5 acad. 256 students, 7 sch. 156 scholars.

Fredericksburg, p-v., Salt creek t., Wayne co., O., 93 N. e. Columbus, 353 W. It contains 2 churches, 3 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 woolen fac, about 25 mechanic shops, and about 350 inhabitants.

Fredericksburg, t., Muskingum co., O. It has 1 sch. 57 scholars. Pop. 163.

Fredericksburg, p-v., Ray co., Mo., 154 w. N. w. Jefferson city, 1,059 W.

Fredericksburg, p-v., Washington co., Ia., Ills. Indianapolis, 625 W. Situated on Blue r., and has about 50 inhabitants.

Frederickshall, p-o., Louisa co., Va., 48 n. w. Richmond, 91 W.

Fredon, p-o., Stillwater t., Sussex co., N. J., 74 n. Trenton, 234 W.

Fredonia, p-v., Pomfret t., Chautauque co., N. Y., 323 w. by s. Albany, 345 W. Situated 2 miles E. of Lake Erie. Incorporated in 1829, and contains 5 churches, an academy, 6 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 grist m., 2 saw in., 1 clothier's works, 1 furnace, 150 dwellings, and about 1,000 inhabitants. Here is an inflammable spring, the gas of which, (carbonated hydrogen,) is used for lighting the streets, and for domestic purposes.

Fredonia, p-t., Licking co., O., 40 n. e. Columbus, 379 W. It has 2 sch. 75 scholars. Pop. 107.

Fredonia, p-v., Caldwell co., Ky., 239 w. s. w. Frankfort, 771 W.

Fredonia, p-v., Montgomery co., Tenn., 34 N. w. Nashville, 719 W.

Fredonia, p-v., capital of Crawford co., Ia., 122 s. Indianapolis, 641 W. Situated on a high bluff, on the n. side of the Ohio r., at the Great Horse Shoe Bend. It contains a court house and other county buildings, 3 stores, 1 carding and spinning machine, 1 steam grist and saw m., a ship yard, and about 110 inhabitants. There are in the t., 1 sch. 35 scholars. Pop. 136.

Fredonia, p-v., Williamson co., Ill., 175 s. s. e. Springfield, 826 W.

Fredonia, p-v., Chambers co., Ala., 175 e. s. e. Tuscaloosa, 758 W.

Fredonia, p-o., Washtenaw co., Mich.

Fredonia, t., Calhoun co., Mich. It has 8 sch. 15 scholars. Pop. 343.

Fredonia, p-o., Louisa co., Iowa.

Fredensburg, p-v., Schuylkill co., Pa., 53 N. E. Harrisburg, 163 W.

Freedom, p-t., Waldo co., Me., 33 n. e. Augusta, 628 W. Incorporated in 1813. The soil is fertile, adapted to grain. It has 3 stores, cap. $3,800; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac $500. 9 sch. 469 scholars. Pop. 1,153.

Freedom, p-t., Carroll co., N. H., 61 n. n. e. Concord, 642 W. Incorporated from Effingham in 1832. The surface is uneven, and the soil is, much of it, fertile. Ossipee Lake borders it on the n. It has 4 stores, cap. $3,200; 2 tanneries. Cap. in manufac. $850. 8 sch. 432 scholars. Pop. 926.

Table of Contents

Source: A Complete Descriptive And Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith, 1843

This book is a joint project between members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and Susan Dorris our finder!

Please Come Back Again!!

 

AHGP

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work