Gaddysville, NC to Garrard, County, Ky
Gaddysville, p-o., Robeson co., N. C. w.
Raleigh, 400 W.
Gadsden, County, Flor. Situated in the
central part of the ter., and extends from Georgia to the Gulf
of Mexico. Dog Island, on the coast, belongs to it. Ocklockony
r. runs on its e. border, and the Appalachicola r. on the w. The
land on the Appalachicola and some other streams, is good, some
is pine barren, and some of it, particularly in the s., is low
and marshy. Capital, Quincy. There were in 1840, neat cattle
8,497, sheep 1,878, swine 12,943; Indian corn 183,400 bush,
produced, oats 3,314, potatoes 57.36 3, rice 113,900 pounds,
tobacco 66,324, cotton 1,833,549, sugar 114,100; 1 tannery, 14
grist m., 9 saw ni., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap.
in manufac. $86,700. 8 acad. 336 students, 1 school. Pop. 5,992.
Gainer's Store, p-o., Pike co., Ala.,
179 s. k. Tuscaloosa, 875 W.
Gaines, p-t., Orleans co., N. Y., 252 w.
n. w. Albany, 395 W. The surface is generally level; soil, a
fertile clay loam. Drained by branches of Oak Orchard cr. The v.
is situated on the Ridge road. Incorporated in 1832. It has 2
churches, 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist, an academy, 4 stores,
1 tannery, 80 dwellings, and about 600 inhabitants. There are in
the t., 6 stores, cap. $19,650; 2 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2 grist
m. 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $37,550. 1 acad. 156 students, 14
sch. 749 scholars. Pop. 2,268.
Gaines, t., Tioga co., Pa. It has 3 saw
m., 1 sch. 19 scholars. Pop. 215.
Gainesborough, p-v., Frederick co., Va.,
154 N. n. w. Richmond, 82 W. It contains 2 churches, 1 Methodist
and 1 Friends, 2 tanneries, and various mechanic shops, 30
dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants. In the vicinity is 1
woolen fac. and 2 flouring m.
Gainesborough, p-v., capital of Jackson
co., Tenn., 73 e. n. e. Nashville, 631 W. Situated on the s.
side of Cumberland r. It has a court house and several stores
Gaines Cross Roads, p-v., Rappahannock
co., Va., 119 n. n. w. Richmond, 70 W. It contains 1 Baptist
church, 1 store, and 10 dwellings.
Gainesville, p-t., Wyoming co., N. Y.,
252 w. Albany, 357 W. The surface is rolling or hilly; the soil,
fertile, and well adapted to grass. Drained by Allen's cr., and
another tributary of Genesee r! The v. contains 1 church, 3
stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., and 25 or 30 dwellings. There are
in the t., 2 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $15,500. 19 sch. 79S scholars. Pop. 2,367.
Gainesville, p-v., capital of Hall co.,
Ga., 118 N. n. w. Milledgeville, 621 W. Situated 3 ms. e. of the
Chattahoochee r. It has a court house, jail, 3 churches, 1
Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 1 Presbyterian, 10 stores, and 300
Gainesville, p-v., Sumter co., Ala., 54
s. w. Tuscaloosa, 872 W., 327 by r. from Mobile. Situated on the
w. side of the Tombigby r., and contains 18 stores, and about
Galen, t, Wayne co., N. Y., 5 E. Lyons,
172 w. by n. Albany. The surface is hilly; soil, a fertile sandy
and gravelly loam. Drained by Clyde r. The Erie Canal passes
through it. It has 29 stores, cap. $89,500; 1 fulling m., 1
tannery, 2 glass fac, 3 flouring m., 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $53,500. 1 acad. 223 students, 13 sch. 911 scholars.
Galena, p-v., Berkshire t., Delaware
co., O., 21 n. Columbus, 399 W. It was formerly called Zoar.
Galena, city, p-v., and capital of Jo
Daviess co., Ill., 230 .v. w. Springfield, 832 W. It is
pleasantly situated on Feve, or Bean r., and is the metropolis
of the great lead region. It is 6 miles above the mouth of the
r., which is navigable to this place, at all stages of the
water, for the largest steamboats. It has an intercourse by
steamboats with St. Louis, New Orleans, Louisville, Cincinnati,
and other places on the Mississippi and Ohio rivers. It contains
5 churches, 1 Baptist, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Methodist,
and 1 Roman Catholic, 35 stores, 1 academy, 1 flouring m., 1 saw
m., various mechanic establishments, 300 dwellings, and about
1.500 inhabitants. First settled in 1826. In this region there
were produced in 1811,22,000,000 pounds of lead, most of which
finds a market in this place. The manufacture of copper is also
becoming important, and 3 furnaces are engaged in smelting it.
Galena, t., Franklin co. Mo. It has 2
acad. 50 students, 1 sch. 18 scholars. Pop. 803.
Gales, p-o., Thompson t., Sullivan co.,
N. Y., 103 s. w. Albany, 286 W.
Galesburg, p-v., Knox co., Ill., 105 n.
n. w. Springfield, 834 W.
Galesburg, p-v., Kalamazoo co., Mich.,
137 w. Detroit, 596 W.
Gales Ferry, p-o., Ledyard t., New
London co., Ct., 7 n. New London, 47 s. e. Hartford, 360 W. It
contains about 30 dwellings.
Galesville, p-o., Greenwich t.,
Washington co., N. Y., 39 n. n. e. Albany, 409 W.
Galion, p-v., Sandusky t., Richland co.,
O., 68 n. n. e. Columbus, 394 W. It contains 3 stores, 30
dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.
Gallagher's Mills, p-o., Franklin co.,
Mo., 100 e. Jefferson city, 879 W.
Gallant Green, p-o., Charles county,
Md., 74 s. w. Annapolis, 49 W.
Gallatia, Gallatin co., Ill., 177 s. s.
e. Springfield, 794 W.
Gallatin, County, Ky.
Situated in the n. part of the state, on the Ohio r., and
contains 175 sq. ms. Eagle r., a branch of Kentucky r., runs on
its s. border, and the Kentucky river runs through its centre.
Surface, undulating; soil, fertile. Capital, Warsaw. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 2,676, sheep 4,185, swine 6,540; wheat
27,669 bushels produced, rye 2,910, Indian corn 144,400, oats
13,635, potatoes 5,253, tobacco 198,730 pounds; 9 stores, cap.
$32,000; 1 tannery, 2 distilleries, 1 flouring m., 9 grist m., 4
saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac.
$39,280. 6 sch. 176 scholars. Pop. whites 3,361, slaves 604,
free col'd 33; total, 4,003.
Gallatin, County, Ill.
Situated in the s. e. part of the state, and contains 760 sq.
ms. Organized in 1812. The Wabash and Ohio rivers run on its e.
border. The soil is generally sandy, resting on slate. Salt
springs exist. Capital, Equality. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 11,254, sheep 5,349, swine 29,106; wheat 37.533 bushels
produced, Ind. corn 504,225, oats 55,953, potatoes 7,661,
tobacco 63,190 pounds, cotton 2,253, salt 17,000 bushels; 39
stores, capital $259,300; 1 tannery, 1 flouring m., 5 grist m.,
6 saw m., 2 oil m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers.
Cap. in manufac. $47,200. 22 sch. 556 scholars. Pop. 10,760.
Gallatin, p-v., Allen co., O., 113 n. w.
Columbus, 484 W.
Gallatin, p-v., capital of Sumner co.,
Tenn., 26 n. e. Nashville, 667 W. Situated 3 miles n. of the
Cumberland r. It has a court house, jail, 3 churches, 2 female
and 3 male academies, a large female seminary with 120 students;
12 stores, and 999 inhabitants.
Gallatin, p-v., Parke co., Ia., 78 w.
Indianapolis, 650 W.
Gallatin, p-v., capital of Copiah co.,
Miss., 37 s. by w. Jackson, 1,047 W. Situated on the e. side of
Bayou Pierre r., in the heart of a fine cotton growing country.
It has a court house and several neat dwellings.
Gallatin, p-t., capital of Davies co.,
Mo., 189 n. w. Jefferson city, 1,092 W. The v. is situated 1 m.
s. of the west fork of Grand r. It has a brick court house, and
159 inhabitants. There are in the t., 4 sch. 73 scholars. Pop.
Gallatin, t, Columbia co., N. Y., 15 s.
e. Hudson, 44 s. by e. Albany. The surface is hilly, and the
soil various. It has Charlotte Lake in its n. part, from which
flows Dove cr. Roeliff Jansen's cr. drains its s. part. It has 5
stores, cap. $9,000; 2 fulling m., 2 flouring m., 2 grist m., 1
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,400. 6 sch. 451 scholars. Pop. 1,644.
Gallatinville, p-o., Gallatin t.,
Columbia county, N. Y., 48 s. Albany, 332 W.
Gallatins, r., one of the s. w. sources
of the Missouri r. Flowing northwardly, it unites with Madison
and Jefferson rivers to form the Missouri river.
Gallia, County, O.
Situated in the s. E. part of the state, on Ohio r., and
contains about 500 sq. ms. The surface is generally hilly and
broken, and the soil poor, excepting on the Ohio river, where it
is fertile. Drained by Racoon cr., and some smaller tributaries
of the Ohio. Its earlier settlers were from France, whence it
derived its name. First settled in 1790. Capital, Gallipolis.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 11,886, sheep 20,528, swine
17,884; wheat 124,029 bushels produced, Indian corn 327,967,
oats 1 15,431, potatoes 28,343, sugar 49,925 pounds; 43 stores,
cap. $49,134; 1 forge, 1 fulling m., 11 tanneries, 3
distilleries, 1 flouring m., 17 grist m., 24 saw m., 1 printing
office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $59,250. 75
scholars in schools. Pop. 13,444.
Gallipolis, p-t., capital of Gallia co.,
O., 100 s. E. Columbus, 358 W. It is pleasantly situated on the
w. bank of Ohio r. It has 2 churches, a jail, an academy, 15
stores, 3 steam m., a printing office, and 80 dwellings, many of
them handsome brick edifices. Near the academy is a
semi-globular mound, 18 or 20 rods in circumference, at its
base, a monument of early times. The v. was organized in 1810.
There are in the t., 18 stores, cap. $24,704; 2 tanneries, 1
printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 1 flouring m., 1 grist m.,
1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $37,730. Pop. 1,413.
Galley Rock, t., Pope co., Ark. It has 1
sch. 14 scholars. Pop. 219.
Galloway, t., Atlantic co., N. J.
Drained by Nacote cr. The surface is even; soil, sandy salt
marsh on the s. It has 7 stores, cap. $9,700; 1 glass fec, 3
grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $47,500. 8 sch. 616
scholars. Pop. 2,208.
Gallupsville, p-o., Schoharie t.,
Schoharie co., N. Y., 27 w. Albany, 388 W.
Gallum, p-o., Perry co., Ill., 166 s.
Springfield, 848 W.
Galway, p-t., Saratoga co., N. Y., 36 n.
n. w. Albany, 404 W. The surface is undulating and hilly; soil,
clay loam, and well cultivated. Drained by a branch of
Kayaderosseras and by Chuctenunda creeks. It has 6 stores,
capital $23,900; 4 fulling m., 4 woolen fee., 2 tanneries, 2
grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $21,375. 1 acad. 37
students, 13 sch. 428 scholars. Pop. 2,412.
Galvezton, v., Ascension parish, La. It
is on the s. side of the Iberville r., opposite the junction of
Gambier, p-v., Pleasant t., Knox co.,
O., 56 n. e. Columbus, 371 W. It was laid out in 1826, in the
centre of a tract of 4,000 acres, belonging to Kenyon College.
This institution was founded in 1826 by funds obtained in
England. It is under the direction of the Episcopalians, has a
president and 11 professors, or other instructors, 61 alumni, 8
of whom have been ministers of the gospel, 55 students, besides
those in the preparatory department, and 8,720 vols, in its
libraries. The commencement is on the 1st Wednesday in
September. The v. was named after Lord Gambier, and is
beautifully situated on a high and level ridge of land,
encompassed on 3 sides by Vernon r. It contains 4 stores, a
printing office, 1 acad. 25 students, 50 dwellings, and 292
inhabitants. The buildings of Kenyon College are 4 in number,
the principal of which is an elegant Gothic edifice of hewn
stone, 190 feet long, and 4 stories high.
Gamble's, p-o., Alleghany co., Pa., 156
w. Harrisburg, 212 W.
Ganges, p-o., Richland co., O., 75 n. n.
e. Columbus, 390 W.
Gansevoort, p-o., Northumberland t.,
Saratoga co., N. Y., 49 n. Albany, 419 W.
Gap, p-o., Sadsbury t , Lancaster co.,
Pa., 54 s. E. Harrisburg, 114 W. Situated at the e. foot of the
Gap Creek, p-o., Knox co., Tenn., 195 e.
Nashville, 510 W.
Gap Grove, p-o., Jo Daviess co., Ill.,
167 n. Springfield, 830 W.
Gap Mills, p-o., Monroe co., Va.
Gardiner, p-t., Kennebec co., Me., 6 s.
Augusta, 594 W. Situated on the w. side of Kennebec r.
Cobbeseconte r. here enters the Kennebec, and for more than a
mile has a continued succession of falls, affording an extensive
water power. The v. contains an Episcopal and a Methodist
church, a bank, and a lyceum. There are in the t., 34 stores,
cap. $63,450; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fee, 2 paper fac, 1
printing office, 1 periodical, 1 weekly newspaper, 6 tanneries,
1 pottery, 5 grist m., 16 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $87,050. 1
acad. 70 students, 21 sch. 2,086 scholars. Pop. 5,042.
Gardner, p-t., Worcester co., Mass., 58
n. n. w. Boston, 418 W. The surface is uneven, and the soil good
for grazing. Watered by a branch of Miller's r., which affords
water power. Incorporated in 1785. It has 2 stores, cap.
$10,000; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$108,633. 6 sch. 317 scholars. Pop. 1,260.
Gardiner's Bay, N. Y., is a considerable
expanse of water, at the E. end of Long Island, somewhat in a
circular form, 8 miles in diameter, between Gardiner's Island
and the mainland.
Gardiner's Island, N. Y., lies off the
e. end of Long Island, and is 4 miles long and 2 wide. Settled
by a man of the same name, from Scotland, in 1639, whose
descendants still occupy it. It is highly cultivated.
Gardiner's Lake, p-o., New London co.,
Ct., 34 s. e. Hartford, 347 W.
Gardner, p-o., Morgan co., O., 92 e.
Columbus, 314 W.
Gardner's Bridge, p-o., Martin co., N.
C, 151 e. Raleigh, 275 W.
Gardner's Ford, p-o., Cleveland co., N.
C, 192 w. s. w. Raleigh, 429 W.
Gardnersville, p-o., Seward t.,
Schoharie co., N. Y., 47 w. Albany, 392 W.
Gardnersville, p-o., Weakley co., Tenn.,
134 w. Nashville, 820 W.
Garland, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., 93 n.
n. e. Augusta, 693 W. The soil is fertile, and adapted to grain.
Watered by head branches of Kanduskeag stream. Incorporated in
1811. It has 1 store, cap. $500; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 4 saw
m., 7 schools, 350 scholars. Pop. 1,065.
Garland's, p-o., Albemarle co., Va., 85
n. n. w. Richmond, 135 W.
Garlandsville, p-o., Jasper co., Miss.,
94 e. s. e. Jackson, 972 W.
Garnettsville, p-v., Mead co., Ky., 83
w. Frankfort, 623 W.
Garoga, p-o., Ephratah t., Fulton co.,
N. Y., 54 w. n. w. Albany, 400 W.
Garrard, County, Ky. Situated a little e.
of the central part of the state, and contains 240 ms.
Kentucky r. runs on its n. border, Dicks r. runs on its s.
w., and Paint Lick cr. on its n. e. border. The soil is
highly productive. Capital, Lancaster. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 9,120, sheep 17,582, swine 35,712; wheat 57,941
bush, produced, rye 33,184, Ind. corn 576,495, oats 140,130,
potatoes, 16,554, tobacco 472,480 pounds, sugar 35,888; 22
stores, cap. $103,700; 6 tanneries, 22 distilleries, 7
flouring m., 34 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$78,863. 4 acad. 150 students, 15 sch. 390 scholars. Pop.
whites 7,110, slaves, 3,283, free col'd 87; total, 10,480.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!