Garrattsville, NY to Georgetown Cross
Garrattsville, p-o., New Lisbon t., Otsego co., N. Y., 86 w.
Albany, 349 W.
Garrettsburg, p-v., Christian co., Ky., 224 s. w. Frankfort, 748
Garrett's Factory, p-o., Giles co., Tenn., 67 s. Nashville, 717
Garrettsville, p-v., Nelson t, Portage co., O., 86 n. e.
Columbus, 349 W.
Garysburgh, p-v., Northampton co., N. C, 98 N. E. Raleigh, 201
W. Situated at the junction of the Portsmouth and Roanoke
railroad with the Petersburgh and Roanoke railroad.
Garysville, p-o., Prince George co., Va., 38 s. e. Richmond, 157
Gasconade, r., Mo., rises in Pulaski co., and after a course of
140 ms., affording extensive water power, enters the Missouri on
the s. side, in Gasconade co., 100 ms. from its mouth.
Gasconade, County, Mo. Situated in the central
part of the state, and contains 400 sq. ms. The surface is
uneven and broken; but on the level land the soil is good, and
on the rivers very fertile. Iron ore and sulphur are found in
abundance, and saltpeter in caves. Limestone, and a good
substitute for burr, used in millstones, are found. Drained by
branches of Gasconade r. and Bourbeuse cr. Capital, Hermon.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,590, sheep 3,470, swine
10,971; wheat 7,149 bush, produced, Ind. corn 136,830, oats
10,818, potatoes 6,973, tobacco 24,623 pounds; 18 stores, cap.
$25,510. Pop. whites 4,937, slaves 342, free col'd 1; total,
Gasconade, p-v., Gasconade co., Mo., 36 s. by E. Jefferson city,
900 W. Situated on the e. side of Gasconade r.
Gasparilla Sound, Flor., extends from Clini inlet on the w.
coast of the peninsula, 6 miles to Charlotte bay, and is about 2
ms. wide. Clini inlet into this sound has 4 feet of water, and
Gasparilla inlet has 6 feet of water on the bar.
Gaston, p-v., Northampton co., N. C, 87 n. e. Raleigh, 201 W.
Situated on the n. side of Roanoke r., at the termination of the
Raleigh and Gaston railroad.
Gaston, p-o., Sumter co., Ala., 89 s. w. Tuscaloosa, 907 W.
Gasper, t., Preble co., O. Pop. 836.
Gates, County, N. C. Situated in the n. e. part
of the state, bordering on the state of Va., and contains 353
sq. ms. Chowan r. runs on its s. w. border, and Blackwater r. on
its w. Capital, Gatesville. There were in 1840, neat cattle
4,631, sheep 3,102, swine 15,358; wheat 2,951 bush, produced,
rye 1,270, Ind. corn 192.815, oats 10,329, potatoes 91,552,
cotton 86,591 pounds; 10 stores, cap. $49,200; 89 distilleries,
4 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,200. 1 acad. 48
students, 5 sch. 125 scholars. Pop. whites 4,137, slaves 3,642,
free col'd 332; total, 8,161.
Gates, pt, Monroe co., N. Y., 3 w. Rochester, 225 w. n. w.
Albany, 372 W. The surface is undulating; sod, sandy, gravelly,
and clay loam. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 1 tannery, 9 sch.
426 scholars. Pop. 1,728.
Gates' Mills, p-v., Mayfield t., Cuyahoga co., O., 159 n. n. e.
Columbus, 347 W. Situated on Chagrin r. Organized in 1835. It
has 1 fulling m., 1 carding machine. Pop. about 100.
Gatesville, p-v., capital of Gates co., N. C, 214 e. N. e.
Raleigh, 253 W. Situated at the forks of Bennett's cr., a small
branch of Chowan r. It contains a court house, and several
stores and dwellings.
Gauley Bridge, p-v., Fayette co., Va:, 277 w. Richmond, 314 W.
Situated at the falls of the Great Kanawha r. The r. is here 500
yards wide, and has a perpendicular fall of 22 feet. The Kanawha
is navigable to this point. It has 2 stores, 1 flouring m., and
2 saw m. The scenery around is exceedingly wild and picturesque.
Gauley, r., Va., rises on the w. side of the Alleghany
mountains, and flowing a little s. of w., falls into Great
Kanawha r. on the n. side, a little above the great falls.
Gayhead, p-o., Greene co., N. Y., 39 s. w. Albany, 351 W.
Gaylesville, p-v., Cherokee co., Ala., 158 n. e. Tuscaloosa, 672
W. Situated on the w. side of the Coosa r.
Gaylord's Bridge, p-o., Litchfield co., Ct., 58 w. Hartford, 315
Gaysville, p-v., Windsor co., Vt., 39 s. by e. Montpelier, 478
Geauga, County, O. Situated in the N. E. part
of the state, and contains 600 sq. ms. The soil is fertile, and
heavily timbered. Watered by the head branches of Cuyahoga and
Chagrin rivers. Iron ore is abundant. Capital, Chardon. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 20,094, sheep 31,949, swine 12,467;
wheat 92,511 bush, produced, rye 1,297, Ind. corn 120,319,
buckwheat 3,593, barley 2,553, oats 81,993, potatoes 120,223,
sugar 351,710 pounds, 25 stores, cap. $31,875; 3 fulling m., 7
tanneries, 21 grist m., 54 saw m., 1 printing office. Cap. in
manufac. $27,144. 2 acad. 89 students, 115 sch. 4,796 scholars.
Gebhart's, p-o., Somerset co., Pa., 148 w. Harrisburg, 174 W.
Geddes, p-v., Salina t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 133 w. N. w.
Geiger's Mills, p-o., Berks co., Pa., 62 e. Harrisburg, 140 W.
Geneganstlet, p-o., Greene t, Chenango co., N. Y., 122 w.
Albany, 316 W.
Genesee, r., N. Y., rises in Potter co., Pa., and passing into
the state of New York, pursues a northwardly course to Lake
Ontario. Its whole course is about 145 ms., 125 of which are in
the state of New York. At Rochester, within the distance of 3
miles, it descends by several falls and rapids 226 feet,
affording an immense water power. It is navigable for steamboats
4 ms. to Carthage, and above the falls at Rochester, it is
boatable for about 20 ms. The Genesee Valley canal passes along
and near this river, and is fed by it for a great distance. In
the town of Portage, Alleghany co., are three falls, one of 60,
one of 90, and one of 110 feet, within the space of 2 miles.
Along the r. for 3 miles are perpendicular walls of stone 400
feet high, to which depth the r. has worn a channel in the solid
Genesee, County, N. Y. Situated toward the w.
part of the state, and contains 473 sq. ms. The surface is
gently undulating, and the soil is chiefly sandy or gravelly
loam, very fertile, adapted alike to grass and to grain. Drained
by Allen's, Black, and Tonawanda creeks. Iron ore, water
limestone, and salt springs are found. Capital, Batavia. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 55,493,sheep 154,393, swine 43,792:
wheat 91 1,596 bush, produced, rye 4,869, Ind. corn 232,576,
buckwheat 19,427, barley 85,832, oats 692,172, potatoes 603,238,
sugar 530,633 pounds; 2 com. houses, cap. $12,000; 136 stores,
cap. $555,650; 6 furnaces, 36 fulling m., 8 woolen fac, 34
tanneries, 3 distilleries, 1 brewery, 12 flouring m., 46 grist
m., 136 saw m., 2 oil m., 6 printing offices, 7 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $607,533. 13 acad. 1,262 students,
330 sch. 14,911 scholars. Pop. 59,537.
Genesee, County, Mich., central in the n. e.
part of the settled portion of the state, and contains 504 sq.
ms. The surface is rolling, and the soil a fertile sandy loam.
Watered by Flint and Shiawassee rivers, the former of which
affords good water power. Capital, Flint. There were in 1340,
neat cattle 3,463, sheep 1,007, swine 6,540; wheat 37,397 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 17,675, oats 26,766, potatoes 41,442, sugar
37,306 pounds; 20 stores, cap. $63,000; 1 distillery, 3 flouring
m., 10 saw m., 1 priming office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in
manufac. $33,300. 23 sch. 479 scholars. Pop. 4,268.
Genesee, t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 20 s. w. Angelica, 230 w. by
n. Albany. The surface is elevated and broken, and the soil
sandy loam. Watered by Little Genesee and Swan creeks. It has 2
stores, cap. $4,000; 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $14,925. 3 sch.
93 scholars. Pop. 578. Genesee, t., Potter co., Pa. It has 1
grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,500. 2 sch. 39 scholars.
Genesee, p-t., Genesee co., Mich., 65 n. w. Detroit, 593 W.
Flint r. passes centrally through it. It contains a United
Stales land office. Pop. 425.
Genesee, t, Milwaukee co., Wis. It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $1,000. Pop. 233.
Genesee Fort, p-o., Potter co., Pa., 171 n. n. W. Harrisburg,
Genesee Grove, p o., Whitesides co., Ill.
Genesee V alley, p-o., Amity t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 272
Albany, 326 W.
Geneseo, p-t., capital of Livingston co., N. Y., 23J w. Albany,
347 W. The surface consists of elevated terraces and valleys;
the soil is fertile, particularly on the Genesee r. Watered by
small tributaries of the Genesee r. The v. is situated on
elevated table land, half a mile e. of Genesee r. Incorporated
in 1832. It contains a court house, jail, fireproof county
clerk's office, 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, and 1
Methodist, a bank, the Livingston county high school, which has
a large 3 story brick building, 10 stores, 120 dwellings, and
about 900 inhabitants. There are in the 1. 18 stores, cap.
$109,850; 2 furnaces, 1 tannery, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly
newspapers, 1 flouring m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $33,230. 1
acad. 100 students, 15 sch. 764 scholars. Pop. 2,392.
Geneseo, p-v., capital of Henry co., Ill., 146 N. n. w.
Springfield, 875 W.
Geneva, p-v., Seneca t., Ontario co., N. Y. Beautifully situated
near the northern extremity of Seneca Lake, on its w. side. In
the n. part of the v., the land rises gradually from the landing
place on the lake shore, until it attains a commanding
elevation; and along this part are the principal business
situations; toward the s. part of the v. a street runs along the
high bank of the lake, from which is a delightful view of it and
the surrounding country. Incorporated in 1812. It contains 9
churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Dutch Reformed, 1
Associate Reformed, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, 1 African Baptist,
Universalist, and 1 Roman Catholic, 2 banks, 50 stores, 2
printing offices, 1 steam flouring m., 1 saw m., 2 furnaces, 2
breweries, 500 dwellings, and about 3,600 inhabitants. Two
steamboats ply daily on the lake, between Geneva and Jefferson,
at the head of the lake. The Cayuga and Seneca canal connects
this place with the Erie Canal, and the Auburn and Rochester
railroad passes through it.
Geneva, p-t., Ashtabula co., O., 195 n. e. Columbus, 350 W.
Situated on the s. shore of Lake Erie, and has 3 stores, cap.
$2,700; 1 tannery, 1 flouring m., 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $2,250. Pop. 1,215.
Geneva, p-v., Morgan co., Ill., 41 w. s. w. Springfield, 821 W.
Geneva, p-v., Dale co., Ala.
Geneva, p-t., Walworth co., Wis., 75 s. e. Madison, 790 W.
Genito, p-v., Powhatan co., Va., 28 w. Richmond, 145 W. Situated
on the E. side of Appomattox r. It contains 1 store, 1 flouring
m., and about 30 inhabitants, and 6 dwellings. A substantial
bridge here crosses the Appomattox r.
Genoa, p-t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 161 w. Albany, 319 W. Situated
on Big Salmon creek. The v. has 2 churches, 1 Presbyterian and 1
Universalist, 3 stores, 1 iron foundry, 2 grist m., 30
dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants. There are in the t., 7
stores, cap. $61,500; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 4 grist m., 7
saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $70,690. 21 sch. 1,039
scholars. Pop. 2,593.
Genoa, p-t., Delaware co., O., 23 n. Columbus, 401 W. Situated
in the s. part of the co. It has 8 schools, 165 scholars. Pop.
Genoa,, p-t., Livingston co., Mich., 48 w. N. w. Detroit, 549 W.
It has 1 flouring m., 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$3,000. 7 sch. 165 scholars. Pop. 504.
Genoa, p-v., De Kalb co., Ill., 217 n. n. e. Springfield, 783 W.
Gentry, county, Mo., situated in the n. w. part of the state,
and contains 500 sq. ms. Watered by the w. fork of Grand r.
Gentsville, p-o., Abbeville dist., S. C, 106 w. Columbia, 531 W.
George's, t., Fayette co., Pa. It has 6 stores, cap. $18,900; 1
furnace, 2 forges, 1 tannery. 1 pottery, 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $1,155. 5 sch. 60 scholars. Pop. 2,371.
George, t., Ottawa co., Mich. It has 1 tannery, 2 saw m. Cap. in
George's Creek, p-o., Lawrence co., Ky., 170 e. Frankfort, 443
George, lake, or Horicon, N. Y., separates Warren from
Washington counties, lying partly in both, and has its outlet
into Lake Champlain. It is 230 feet above the Hudson r., and is
36 ms long, and from 2 to 3 wide, and is said to have as many
islands as there are days in the year. In picturesque scenery,
it is unsurpassed in the United States, perhaps in the world. On
account of the purity of its waters, the French called it Lac
Sacrament, the bottom being visible to the depth of 30 or 40
feet. Its shores contain the remains of several old forts,
memorable in the French and revolutionary wars. A steamboat
plies regularly on the lake. Its outlet affords good water
Georgesville, p-v.. Pleasant t, Franklin co., O., 13 s. w.
Columbus, 406 W. Organized in 1816. Situated on Little Darby
cr., and in the immediate vicinity, just above its mouth, are 1
grist m. and 1 saw m.
Georgetown, district, S. C. Situated in the e. part of the
state, and contains 1,040 sq. miles. Santee r. runs on its s.
border. Watered by Great Pedee and Waccamaw rivers, which enter
Winy aw bay. The surface is level, and to some extent marshy,
but the soil is very productive. Capital, Georgetown. There were
in 1810, neat cattle 11,200, sheep 3,500, swine 7,840; Indian
corn 101,975 bushels produced, oats 13,180, potatoes 3JO,000,
salt 850, rice 36,360,000 pounds, cotton 14,174; 3 commission
houses in for trade, cap. $10,300; 34 stores, cap. $174,775; 6
grist m., 2 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap.
in manufac. $6,200. 4 acad. 165 students, 6 sch. 73 scholars.
Pop. whites 2,093, slaves 15,993, free col'd 188; total, 18,274.
Georgetown, p-t., Lincoln co., Me., 50 s. Augusta, 590 W. It
consists of two considerable islands, at the mouth of the
Kennebec r., which runs on the w., and Sheepscot river on the
e., with the Atlantic on the s. Incorporated in 1716. It has
excellent harbors, and is considerably engaged in navigation and
the fisheries. An unsuccessful attempt was made to form a
settlement in this place, by the Plymouth co., in 1607, but it
was abandoned the next year. It has 5 stores, cap. $10,600; 1
grist m., 10 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $33,250. 12 sch. 572
scholars. Pop. 1,356.
Georgetown, p-v., Essex co., Mass., 31 n. by e. Boston, 464 W.
Organized from Rowley, in 1838. Watered by a branch of Parker's
River. It has 8 stores, cap. $21,500; 9 tanneries, 1 grist m., 2
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $107,500. Pop. 1,540.
Georgetown, p-t., Madison co., N. Y., 112 w. by n. Albany, 348
W. The surface is hilly; soil, clay loam, well adapted to grass.
Drained by head branches of Ostelic r. The v. contains 2
churches, 1 Presbyterian and 1 Baptist, 1 store, 1 grist m., 1
saw m., and 1 tannery, 50 dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants.
There are in the t., 1 store, cap. $3,500; 1 fulling m., 1
tannery, 1 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,550. 10 sch.
406 scholars. Pop. 1,130.
Georgetown, p-v., Green t, Beaver co., Pa., 241 w. by n.
Harrisburg, 267 W. Situated on the n. side of Mill cr., on the
s. side of Ohio r.
Georgetown, p-v., capital of Sussex co., Del., 41 e. of s.
Dover, 135 W. Situated between the sources of Nanticoke and
Indian rivers. It contains a court house, an academy, and a
bank, and about 300 inhabitants.
Georgetown, city and port of entry, Washington co., District of
Columbia, on the n. e. bank of the Potomac r., 200 miles from
its mouth, and 2 miles w. of Washington city, from which it i is
separated by Rock creek, over which are 2 bridges. The situation
is pleasant, commanding a fine view of the Potomac r., the city
of Washington, and of the adjacent country; and it contains many
elegant buildings and country seats. It has 4 banks, a market
house, 7 churches, 2 Episcopal, 2 Methodist, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Roman Catholic, and 1 col'd Methodist and a Roman Catholic
college, with 2 spacious brick edifices, finely situated,
founded in 1789, which has a president and 16 professors, or
other instructors, 90 alumni, 135 students, and 22,000 vols, in
its libraries. The commencement is near the last of July. It was
authorized by congress, in 1815, to confer degrees. There is
also a nunnery, called the Convent of Visitation, founded in
1798, which contains from 50 to 70 nuns, attached to which is a
large female academy, which generally contains 100 young ladies,
instructed by the nuns. The Chesapeake and Ohio canal commences
at this place, which is designed to be extended to the Ohio r.,
and which has been recently continued to Alexandria. There were
in 1840, 7 commercial and 2 commission houses, cap. $310,000; 23
retail stores, cap. $247,400; 2 lumber yards, cap. $20,000; 2
tanneries, 1 printing office, 1 semi weekly newspaper, 1
flouring m., producing 10,500 barrels annually, 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $154,700. 6 acad. 434 students, 9 sch. 435 scholars.
Pop. 7,312. Tonnage of the port 9,964.
Georgetown, p-v., port of entry and capital of Georgetown
district, S. C, 152 e. s. e. Columbia, 488 W. Situated on the w.
side Winyaw bay, at the entrance of Sampit cr. It contains a
court house, jail, bank, an academy, 4 churches, 1 Episcopal, 1
Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist, 35 stores, and about
2,500 inhabitants. The harbor admits vessels requiring 11 feet
of water, and the trade of an extensive back country is opened
to it by the rivers which flow into Winyaw bay. Tonnage 1840,
Georgetown, p-v., Randolph co., Ga. Situated on the e. bank of
Georgetown, p-v., Copiah co., Miss., 57 s. Jackson, 1,037 W.
Situated on the w. side of Pearl r.
Georgetown, p-v., capital of Scott co., Ky., 17 e. Frankfort,
525 W. Situated on the n. branch of Elkhorn r., a tributary of
Kentucky r. It contains a court house, jail, a bank, a printing
office, 2 churches, 1 Baptist and 1 Methodist, 1 acad. 40
students. Pop. 1,511. Georgetown college, under the direction of
the Baptists, is located here, was founded in 1829, has a
president and 3 professors, or other instructors, 12 alumni, 114
students, and 1,200 vols, in its libraries. The commencement is
on the last Thursday in June.
Georgetown, p-v., capital of Brown co., O. It is situated in
Pleasant t., 1 m. from White Oak cr., 7i ms. from the Ohio r.,
107 s. s. w. Columbus, 466 W. It has a court house, jail, 4
churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 1 New
Light, 12 stores, 2 tanneries, 1 brewery, 1 printing office, and
1 weekly newspaper, various mechanic shops, 120 houses, many of
them of brick, and about 600 inhabitants.
Georgetown, p-v., capital of Pettis co., Mo., 67 w. Jefferson
city, 1,003 W. Situated on the e. side of the south fork of La
Mine r. It contains a court house and several dwellings.
Georgetown, p-v., Floyd co., Ia., 130 s. Indianapolis, 609 W.
Situated on a branch of Indian cr.
Georgetown, p-v., Vermillion co., Ill., 140 e. Springfield, 667
W. Situated on the n. side of Little Vermillion r.
Georgetown Cross Roads, p-o., Kent co., Md., 58 n. e. Annapolis,
State of Georgia
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!