Glade Mills PA to Goshen, NY
Glade Mills, p-o., Butler co., Pa., 212 w. n. w. Harrisburg, 249
Glade Spring, p-o., Washington co., Va., 292 w. s. w. Richmond,
Glade Valley, p-o., Alleghany co., Md., 203 w. n. w. Annapolis,
Gladwin, County, Mich. Situated in the n. part
of the state, and contains 576 sq. ms. Watered by Tittibawassee
Glady Creek, p-o., Randolph co., Va., 228 n. w. Richmond, 254 W.
Glasco, p-v., Saugerties t., Ulster co., N. Y., 48 s. Albany,
328 W. Situated on the w. side of Hudson River. It has a
convenient landing, 3 stores, extensive brick yards, and about
Glasgow, p-v., New Castle co., Del. Situated on Christiana cr.,
near its source.
Glasgow, p-o., Columbiana co., O., 153 n. e. Columbus, 276 W.
Glasgow, p-v., capital of Barren co., Ky., 123 s. w. Frankfort,
616 W. Situated a little e. of Beaver branch of Green r.
Glasgow, p-v., Howard co., Mo., 73 n. w. Jefferson city, 973 W.
Situated on the N. bank of the Missouri r.
Glassborough, p-v., Franklin t., Gloucester co., N. J., 47 s. by
w. Trenton, 153 W. It contains an Episcopal and a Methodist
church, 2 stores, 2 glass fac, and about 35 dwellings.
Glastenbury, p-t., Hartford co., Ct., 6 s. by E. Hartford, 333
W. Situated on the E. side of Connecticut r. On the r. the soil
is very fertile; to the E. it is rough, but productive. Roaring
brook affords water power. It has 7 stores, cap. $13,500; 3
fulling m.,4 woolen fac, 2 cotton fac. 5,360 sp., 3 forges, 2
tanneries, 3 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. S214,400; 1
acad. 20 students, 15 sch. 578 scholars. Pop. 3,077.
Glastenbury, t., Bennington co., Vt., 9 n. e. Bennington.
Chartered in 1761. It is a rough mountain town, almost incapable
of cultivation. It has 2 sch. 20 scholars. Pop. 53.
Glaze, t., Miller co., Mo. Pop. 380.
Glenatta, p-o., Marion co., Ga., 146 s. w. Milledgeville, 779 W.
Glen Brook, p-o., Monroe co., Tenn., 195 e. s. E. Nashville, 553
Glenbrook. p-o., Hart county, Ky., 109 s. w. Frankfort, 626 W.
Glenburn, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., 77 n. e. Augusta, 672 W. It
is situated on both sides of Kenduskeag stream, at the great
bend, and has a good soil, adapted to grain. It has water power,
which has not been much improved. It has 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $1,000. 9 sch. 271 scholars. Pop. 664.
Glen Cove, p-v., Oyster Bay t., Queens co., N. Y., 176 s. by e.
Albany. Situated at the head of a cove of the same name, on the
e. side of Hempstead harbor. It contains an Episcopal church, an
academy, several stores, and a grist m. A steamboat generally
plies between it and New York and it is much resorted to during
the summer months.
Glenfinlas, p-o., Jefferson co., Mo., 122 e. Jefferson City, 862
Glenham, p-v., Fishkill t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 83 s. Albany,
239 W. This flourishing manufacturing village is situated on
Fishkill cr., 3 ms. E. of its entrance into Hudson r. It
contains 2 churches, 2 stores, a woolen fac, which consumes
200,000 pounds of wool annually, producing broadcloths and
cassimere of the finest quality, employing 100 workmen; 60
dwellings, and about 500 inhabitants.
Glenn, p-t, Montgomery co., N. Y., 43 w. n. w. Albany, 403 W.
The surface is hilly; soil, loam, mixed with clay. Drained by
Schoharie cr., a tributary of the Mohawk, which latter runs on
its N. border. The Erie canal passes through the t. It has 10
stores, cap. $43,000; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 1 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $2,500. 10 sch. 310 scholars. Pop. 3,678.
Glenn Connel, p-o., Cambria co., Pa.
Glenn's, p-o., Gloucester co., Va., 87 e. Richmond, 155 W.
Glenn's Falls, p-v., Queensbury t., Warren co., N. Y., 54 n.
Albany, 427 W. Situated on the N. side of Hudson r. Incorporated
in H39. It contains 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1
Methodist, an academy, a female seminary, 30 stores, 1 grist m.,
4 saw m., 3 of which have 25 saws each, 4 marble mills, with 275
saws, 1 plaster m., 1 furnace, 3 machine shops, 1 marble fac, 2
tanneries, 225 dwellings, and about 1,800 inhabitants. The
finest black marble is found here. The falls on the Hudson at
this place have a total descent of 50 feet, affording much
picturesque scenery, and very extensive water power. A bridge,
500 feet long, crosses Hudson r. at the falls. The feeder of the
Champlain canal leaves the r. 2 ms. above, and unites with the
canal a few ms. E., and affords a navigable communication with
the canal and its connected waters.
Glenn Springs, p-o., Spartanburg dist., S. C, 86 n. w. Columbia,
Glennville, p-t., Schenectady co., N. Y., 4 w. Schenectady, 30
w. Albany, 470 W. Surface is uneven, and the soil a sandy loam.
The Mohawk r. runs on its s. border, and Aelplass cr. through
its E. part, where it enters the Mohawk r. The v. has 1 church,
1 store, and 12 or 15 dwellings. There are in the t. 5 stores,
capital $3,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 2 grist
m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,200. 10 sch. 393 scholars. Pop.
Glen Wild, p-o., Thompson t., Sullivan co., N. Y., 102 s. w.
Albany, 304 W.
Globe, p-o., Caldwell co., N. C, 220 w. Raleigh, 403 W.
Gloucester, County, N. J., in the s. w. part of
the state, has Delaware r. on its n. w. boundary. It contains
530 sq. miles. The lands along the Delaware are highly
cultivated, producing excellent fruit and vegetables. Back of
this the soil is sandy, and covered with pine, which furnishes
much timber and wood for exportation. Drained by Cooper's, Big
Timber, Mantua, and Racoon creeks, and the head branches of
Great Egg Harbor r. Capital, Woodbury. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 10,484, sheep 9,335, swine 24,311; wheat 34,175 bush,
produced, rye 97,305, Ind. corn 344,555, buckwheat 26,571, oats
92,950, hops 777 pounds; 93 stores, cap. $186,460; 3 lumber
yards, cap. $21,000; 3 fulling m., 5 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac, 4
tanneries, 5 distilleries, 11 glass fac, 1 pottery, 2 flouring
m., 21 grist m., 53 saw m., 1 oil m., 4 printing offices, 1
periodical, 4 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac $692,077. 6
acad. 395 students, 68 sch. 4,256 scholars. Pop. 25,438.
Gloucester, County, Va. Situated in the e. part
of the state, and contains 280 sq. ms. Organized in 1652. It has
York r. on its s. w. border. Capital, Gloucester C. H. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 7,778, sheep 4,914, swine 14,162,
wheat 56,325 bush, produced, Ind. corn 306,564, barley 2,748,
oats 61,775, potatoes 12,767, cotton 8,439 pounds; 20 stores,
cap. $86,600; 3 tanneries, 17 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in
manufactures $27,710. 4 acad. 93 students. 10 sch. 216 scholars.
Pop. whites 4,412, slaves 5,791, free col'd 612; total, 10,715.
Gloucester, p-t., and port of entry, Essex co., Mass., 30 n. e.
Boston, 470 W. Incorporated in 1639. It has a fine harbor, open
at all seasons of the year, and its inhabitants are extensively
engaged in navigation and the fisheries. Tonnage of the district
1840, 17,072. The harbor is on the s. side of the peninsula, and
on Thatcher's island, on the s. E., are 2 lighthouses. A canal
is cut across the isthmus which connects the cape with the main
land. The almost insular situation of this place makes it a
pleasant resort in the summer season. It has 4 commercial
houses, cap. $107,000; 32 stores, cap. $57,775; 2 lumber yards,
cap. §23,000; 1 printing office, 1 weekly and 1 semiweekly
newspapers, 4 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $52,495. 1
acad. 46 students, 26 sch. 1,233 scholars. Fop. 6,350. (See
Gloucester, t., Providence co., R. I., 16 w. s. w. Providence,
50 e. by n. Hartford, Ct. First settled in 1700. Incorporated in
1730. The surface is uneven and rough; the soil is well adapted
to grazing. Watered by Chepatchet r., which affords good water
power, and on which is the flourishing manufacturing village of
Chepatchet. There are in the t. 11 stores, cap. $20,309; 2
cotton fac. 1,668 sp., 1 tannery, 4 grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $43,600. 24 sch. 596 scholars. Pop. 2,304.
Gloucester, t., Gloucester co., N. J., 10 s. e. Woodbury. The
surface is level, and the soil sand, more or less mixed with
loam. The n. part produces vegetables and fruit, and the s. part
consists chiefly of pine forest. Drained by Cooper's and Big
Timber creeks. It has 13 stores, cap. $18,400; 2 tanneries, 4
glass fac, 2 flouring m., 3 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in
manufactures $77,659. 10 sch. 298 scholars. Pop. 2,837.
Gloucester, C. H., p-v., capital of Gloucester co., Va., 85 e.
Richmond, 170 W. It contains a court house, jail, clerk's
office, an academy for males, and another for females, 4 stores,
and 126 inhabitants. There are 8 churches within the
circumference of 14 miles round the court house, 2 Episcopal, 2
Baptist, and 4 Methodist.
Gloucester Furnace, p-v., 3Iullica t, Atlantic co., N. J., 74 s.
Trenton, 184 W. It contains a store, 1 large furnace, 1 grist
m., 1 saw m., and 390 inhabitants. The furnace produces 800 tons
annually, chiefly of castings.
Glover, p-t., Orleans co., Vt., 39 n. n. e. Montpelier, 550 W.
The surface is hilly, and the soil adapted chiefly to grazing.
Watered by the head branches of Barton's, Pasumpsic, Lamoille,
and Black Rivers. It has 1 store, cap. $8,000; 1 fulling m., 1
woolen fac, 3 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,200. 10
sch. 232 scholars. Pop. 1,119.
Gloversville, p-v., Johnstown t., Fulton co., N. Y., 40 n. w.
Albany, 413 W. It contains 2 churches, 2 stores, 1 grist m., 1
saw m., 50 dwellings, and about. 350 inhabitants. Buckskin
gloves, mittens, and moccasins, are extensively manufactured
Glynn, County, Ga. Situated in the s. e. part
of the state, and contains 625 sq. ms. Altamaha r. runs on its
n. e. border, and Scilla r. runs on its s. border. Watered by
Turtle r. and Buffalo creek, its main tributary. It has the
Atlantic e., and St. Simon's and Jykill islands on its coast.
The surface is level, and some of it is too low for cultivation.
Capital, Brunswick. There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,320, sheep
692, swine 1,980; Ind. corn 40,520 bush, produced, potatoes
39,410, rice 1,937,200 pounds, cotton 2,322,000, sugar 22,000; 9
stores, cap. $15,000; 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$42,050. 1 acad. 40 students. Pop. whites 891, slaves 4,409,
free col'd 2; total, 5,302.
Gnadenhutton, p-v., Clay t., Tuscarawas co., O., 105 e. n. e.
Columbus, 312 W. Situated on the e. bank of Tuscarawas r.
Originally settled by 3Ioravians. The Erie and Ohio canal is
about a mile vv. of the v., on the opposite side of the river.
It contains 1 Moravian church, 2 stores, 1 steam saw m., and
about 25 dwellings.
Goat Island, or Iris island, N. Y. Situated in Niagara r., at
the great falls, dividing the waters which descend over this
mighty cataract. It contains about 75 acres, and is 1 mile in
circumference, mostly covered with forest. (See Niagara Falls.)
Goblentown, p-v., Patrick co., Va., 208 w. 3. w. Richmond, 283
Goddard, p-o., Rush co., Ia., 45 e. s. e. Indianapolis, 543 W.
Godfrey, p-o., 3Iadison co., Ill., 86 s. Springfield, 812 W.
Goff's Corners, p-o., Cumberland co., Me., 32 s. w. Augusta, 576
Goff's Mills, p-o., Howard t., Steuben co., N. Y., 228 w. by s.
Albany, 308 W.
Goffstown, p-t., Hillsborough co., N. H., 16 s. Concord, 468 W.
The surface is generally level, with a few elevations; and the
soil fertile, and easily cultivated. Drained by Piscataquoagr.,
which affords water power, and a tributary of the Merrimac,
which runs on its e. border. Amoskeag falls, in the Merrimac,
are opposite to this town, where the r. descends 48 feet 3
inches in half a mile, around which is a canal. It has 8 stores,
cap. $22,050; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 3 cotton fac. 6,000
sp., 3 tanneries, 3 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$119,515. 1 acad. 45 students, 11 sch. 815 scholars. Pop. 2,376.
Golandsville, po.. Caroline co., Va., 33 N. Richmond, 90 W. It
has a pleasant and healthful situation, and contains 1 store, 1
tannery, 1 flouring m., 1 grist m., 1 saw m., several mechanic
shops, and about 85 inhabitants. There are 2 mineral springs in
Golconda, p-v., capital, Pope co., Ill., 215 s. s. E.
Springfield, 796 W. Situated on the s. side of Lusk cr., on the
n. bank of Ohio r. It contains a brick court house, 4 stores,
and about 25 dwellings.
Golden, p-o., Baltimore co., Md., 44 n. Annapolis, 54 W.
Golden Hill, p-o., Dorchester co., Md.
Golden Grove, p-o., Greenville dist., S. C, 121 w. n. w.
Columbia, 516 W.
Golden's Bridge, p-o., Lewisboro t., Westchester co., N. Y., 120
s. by e. Albany, 278 W.
Golden Springs, p-o., Anderson dist., S. C, 131 w. n. w.
Columbia, 527 W.
Golden Valley, p-o., Rutherford co., N. C, 217 w. s. w. Raleigh,
Gold Hill, p-o., Meriwether co., Ga., 116 w. Milledgeville, 734
Gold Hill, p-o., Chambers co., Ala., 159 e. s. e. Tuscaloosa,
Gold Mine, p-o., Chesterfield dist, S. C. 99 N. E. Columbia, 458
Goldsborough, p-t., Hancock co., Me., Ill E. Augusta, 693 W.
Incorporated in 1789. It consists chiefly of a peninsula, with
the Atlantic Ocean on the s., Goldsborough bay on the e., and
Frenchman's bay on the w. It is finely situated for navigation,
having Prospect harbor, which is spacious and ease of access, in
its s. e. part. It has other good harbors. It contains 3 stores,
cap. $4,700; 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$40,210. 10 sch. 227 scholars. Pop. 1,198.
Goldsborough, p-v., Wayne co., N. C, 51 s. E. Raleigh, 2S1 W.
Goochland, County, Va. Central in the E. part
of the state, and contains 300 sq. ms. James r. runs on its s.
border. The surface is undulating, and in some places broken;
the soil is various, and much of it exhausted, though naturally
good. Drained by Tuckahoe cr., Dover cr., Byrd cr., and other
small streams, several of which afford water power. Coal, of an
excellent quality, and also gold, have been found in the co.,
Capital, Goochland C. H. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,727,
sheep 5,364, swine 11,377; wheat 79,617 bush, produced, Ind.
corn 259,030, oats 170,023, potatoes 10,326, bituminous coal
433,000, tobacco 4,501,695 pounds, cotton 4,689; value of gold
produced $1,800; 22 stores, cap. $80,300; 4 tanneries, 2
distilleries, 2 flouring m., 22 grist m., 14 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $2,470. 9 sch. 139 scholars. Pop. whites 3,570, slaves
5,500, free col'd 690; total 9,760.
Goochland, C. H., p-v., capital of Goochland co., Va., 30 w. n.
w. Richmond, 130 W. Situated 1 mile north of James r. It
contains a court house, jail, a store, and several dwellings.
Gooch's Mills, p-o., Cooper co., Mo., 42 n. w. Jefferson city,
Goodall's, p-o., Hanover co., Va., 18 n. Richmond, 117 W.
Goodbar's. p-o., Overton co., Tenn., 101 e. Nashville, 613 W.
Good Ground, p-v., Southampton t., Suffolk co., N. Y., 242 s. e.
Albany, 322 W. It contains 1 Methodist church, and 6 or 8
Good Hope, t., Hocking co., O. It contains 2 paper mills. Pop.
Good Hope, p-o., Walton co., Ga., 75 n. n. w. Milledgeville, 629
Good Hope, p-o., Noble co., Ia., 149 N. N. E. Indianapolis, 598
Good Intent, p-o., Gloucester co., N. J., 41 s. w. Trenton. 151
Good Intent, p-o., Washington co., Pa., 231 w. Harrisburg, 249
Good Luck, p-o., Prince George's co., Md.,43 s. w. Annapolis, 15
Good Spring, p-o., Williamson co., Tenn., 13 s. Nashville, 697
Goodwin's Mills, York co., Me., 73 s. w. Augusta, 524 W.
Goodwynsville, p-o., Dinwiddie co., Va., 46 s. Richmond, 165 W.
Goose Creek, p-o., Smith co., Tenn., 56 e. Nashville, 653 W.
Goose, cr., Va., a branch of Roanoke r., rises in the Blue
Ridge, 5 s. w. of the Peaks of Otter, and after a course of over
30 ms., enters the Roanoke, in Campbell co.
Goose Pond, p-o., Oglethorpe co., Ga., 101 n. Milledgeville, 593
Goose River, p-o., Waldo co., Me., 44 E. Augusta, 630 W.
Gordonsville, p-v., Orange co., Va., 74 n. w. Richmond, 104 W.
Situated at the E. foot of s.; w. mountain, on the sources of
North Anna r., and at the w. termination of the Louisa railroad,
50 s. v. by w. Fredericksburg. It has a store and several
Gordonsville. p-o., Smith co., Tenn., 58 e. Nashville, 633 W.
Gordonton, p-o., Person co., N. C, 64 Raleigh, 268 W.
Gordonville, p-o., Brown co., O., 99 s. w. Columbus, 472 W.
Gorham, p-t., Cumberland co., Me., 60 s. w. Augusta, 511 W.
First settled in 1736. The soil is excellent, and well
cultivated. It has a 31 well endowed and flourishing academy,
and contains 1 tannery, 1 powder m., 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $13,920. 1 acad. 309 students, 23 sch. 1,160
scholars. Pop. 3,001.
Gorham, p-t., Coos co., N. II., 197 n. Concord, 586 W. It has a
rough surface, lying at the base of the White mountains on the
n. side, and the soil is unproductive. Incorporated in 1836.
Drained by several small tributaries of Androscoggin r. It has 1
tannery, 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,550. 2 sch. 44
scholars. Pop. 156.
Gorham, p-t., Ontario co., N. Y., 197 w. Albany, 340 W. The
surface is undulating; and the soil, fertile and well
cultivated. Drained by Flint cr., and small tributaries of
Canandaigua Lake. It contains several small villages. It has 3
stores, cap. $7,000; 3 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 3
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,015. 1 acad. 120 students, 21 sch.
923 scholars. Pop. 2,779.
Gorham, p-t., Lucas co., O., 180 n. w. Columbus, 511 W. Situated
on the n. border of the state. Drained by Tiffin's r. It has 3
sch. 95 scholars. Pop. 343.
Gorntos, p-o., Lowndes co., Ga., 286 s. Milledgeville, 901 W.
Gorton, p-o., Carroll co., O., 133 E. n. e. Columbus, 291 W.
Goshen, p-t., Sullivan co., N. H., 40 w. by n. Concord, 480 W.
Sunapee mountain lies in its s. e. part. Drained by branches of
Sugar r., a tributary of Connecticut r. The soil is well adapted
to grazing. It has 2 stores, cap. $4,000; 1 tannery, 1 grist m.,
3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,045. 10 sch. 267 scholars. Pop.
Goshen, p-t., Hampshire co., Mass., 12 n. w. Northampton, 105 w.
by n. Boston, 393 W. The surface is mountainous. Some minerals,
as emeralds, lead, and tin, are found here. It has 1 store, 1
tannery, 1 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,000. 5 sch.
204 scholars. Pop. 556.
Goshen, p-t., Litchfield co., Ct, 6 n. Litchfield, 33 w. by n.
Hartford, 332 W. The surface is elevated, and moderately uneven,
and it is a fine grazing tow r n, with some of the largest
dairies in the state. It has 5 stores, cap. $50,000; 5
tanneries, 1 grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $32,770. 1
acad. 50 students, 15 sch. 426 scholars. Pop. 1,529.
Goshen, t., Addison co., Vt., 31 s. w. Montpelier. The surface
is mountainous, with some good land. Watered by Leicester r.
Iron ore and oxide of manganese are found. Chartered in 1792,
re-chartered in 1798. It has 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,400. 7
sch. 230 scholars. Pop. 621.
Goshen, p-t., semi-capital of Orange co., N. Y., 105 s. by w.
Albany, 278 W. The surface is hilly, with some extensive flats.
The soil is a fertile loam, specially adapted to grazing. Great
quantities of excellent butter are produced here for the New
York city market, where it is in high repute. The v. is situated
on a plain, and was incorporated in 1809. It contains a court
house, jail, county clerk's office, bank, 1 Presbyterian and 1
Episcopal Church, 15 stores, 1 tannery, a flourishing academy,
with a female seminary connected, 150 dwellings, and about 900
inhabitants. The New York and Erie railroad is completed from
Piermont, on the Hudson r., 45 ms. to this place. There are in
the t. 22 stores, cap. $29,045; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 4
distilleries, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers, 4 grist
m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $42,100. 5 acad. 306 students, 12
sch. 425 scholars. Pop. 3,889.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!