Goshen, NJ to Gray, ME
Goshen, p-v., Middle t., Cape May co., N. J., 89 s. Trenton, 199
W. Situated near the head of navigation, on Goshen cr., 3 ms.
from its entrance into Delaware bay.
Goshen, p-v., Lancaster co., Pa., 58 e. s. e. Harrisburg, 93 W.
Goshen, t., Tuscarawas co., O. It lies on both sides of
Tuscarawas r., and contains the villages of New Philadelphia and
Lockport. It has 9 stores, cap. $15,900; 2 tanneries, 1 pottery,
1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 1 flouring m., 6 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $56,500. 11 sch. 732 scholars. Pop. 1,885.
Goshen, p-t., Clermont co., O., 100 s. w. Columbus, 472 W. It is
a valuable agricultural t. The v. contains 2 brick churches, 1
Presbyterian and 1 Methodist, several mills moved by horse
power, 15 or 20 mechanic shops, 60 dwellings, and about 300
inhabitants. A Macadamized road connects it with Cincinnati. The
t. contains 4 stores, cap. $5,550; 1 tannery. Cap. in manufac.
$3,700. 1 acad. 31 students, 1 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 1,442.
Goshen, t., Allen co., O. Pop. 236.
Goshen, t., Belmont co., O. The surface is uneven, and the soil
is good. Watered by head branches of Captina and McMahon's
creeks, which afford water power. It has 3 sch. 40 scholars.
Goshen, t, Champaign co., O. It contains the v. of
Mechanicsburg. It has 2 scores, cap. $5,000; 2 tanneries, 2
flouring m., 3 saw m., 6 sch. 136 scholars. Pop. 1,407.
Goshen, t., Columbiana co., O. Situated a few miles n. w. New
Lisbon, and contains a part of the v. of Damascus. It has 5 sch.
185 scholars. Pop. 1,392.
Goshen, t., Hardin co., O. It has 1 tannery, 1 saw m., 3 sch.
105 scholars. Pop. 550.
Goshen, p-v., Lincoln co., Ga., 53 n. e. Milledgeville, 93 W. It
contains a Baptist church, an academy, and about 12 dwellings.
Goshen, p-v., Benton co., Ala., 157 s. e. Tuscaloosa, 690 W.
Goshen, p-v., capital of Elkhart co., Ia., 152 n. by E.
Indianapolis, 690 W. Situated on e. side of Elkhart r. It
contains a court house, jail, and several stores and dwellings.
Goshen, p-v., Putnam co., Ill.
Goshen, t., Macon co., Mo. Pop. 718.
Goshen Mills, p-o., Montgomery co., Md., 64 w. n. w. Annapolis,
Goshen Hill, p-o., Union dist., S. C, 53 n. w. Columbia, 480 W.
Goshenville. p-o., Chester co., Pa., 77 E. s. E. Harrisburg, 122
Gosport, t., Rockingham co., N. H. It includes the Isles of
Shoals, 7 in number, 8 miles from Portsmouth, in the Atlantic. A
sea wall connects Star isle with Smutty isle, built at the
expense of the U. States government, forming a safe harbor on
the n. vv. side. The islands are inhabited chiefly by fishermen.
It has $1,500 invested in the fisheries. 1 sch. 50 scholars.
Gosport, v., Norfolk co., Va. Situated in the s. extremity of
the village of Portsmouth, opposite to Norfolk, on the s. side
of Elizabeth r. The United States have here an extensive navy
yard, and a large and expensive dry dock, capable of receiving a
seventy-four gun ship.
Gosport, p-o., Clarke co., Ala., 144 s. Tuscaloosa, 936 W.
Situated on the w. side of the Alabama River.
Gosport, p-v., Owen co., Ia., 42 s. w. Indianapolis, 613 W.
Situated on w. side of White r. It has 2 stores, and about 75
Gouverneur, p-t., St. Lawrence co., N. Y, 181 N. w. Albany, 450
W. The surface is generally level, and the soil fertile. Watered
by Oswegatchie River. The v. is situated on Oswegatchie r., and
contains 2 churches, 4 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., the "Gouverneur
Wesleyan Seminary," 60 dwellings, and about 450 inhabitants.
There are in the t., 3 stores, cap. $10,700; 1 grist m., 2 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $7,200. 1 acad. 213 students, 12 sch. 392
scholars. Pop. 2,538.
Govenstown, p-v., Baltimore co., Md., 34 n. Annapolis, 44 W.
Governors Island, N. Y., is situated in the harbor of New York,
3,200 feet s. of the Battery, and contains 70 acres of ground,
belonging to the United States. It contains Castle Williams, on
the n. w. point of the island, a round tower 600 feet in
circumference and 60 feet high, with 3 tiers of guns; Fort
Columbus on the summit of the island, in the form of a star,
mounting 105 heavy cannon, and a battery on the s. w. part,
commanding the entrance through Buttermilk channel. The above
fortifications, when fully garrisoned, would require 800 men.
There are extensive barracks, with houses for the officers,
occupied by a small garrison.
Gowanus, v., Brooklyn, Kings co., N. Y. It consists of a
scattered settlement around Gowannus bay, in the s. part of
Brooklyn. On the high ground to the e., is the Greenwood
Cemetery, consisting of 200 acres of ground, which is highly
picturesque, and affords extensive and beautiful views. It is
designed to be appropriately ornamented. The v. contains 3
churches, 1 store, and 30 or 40 dwellings.
Goodeysville, p-o., Union dist., S. C, 81 N. w. Columbia, 450 W.
Gowensville, p-v., Spartanburg dist., S. C, 133 n. w. Columbia,
Graceham, p-v., Frederick co., Md., 87 n. w. Annapolis, 58 W.
Grafton, County, N. H. Situated toward the n.
w. part of the state, is bounded w. by Connecticut r., and
contains 1,740 sq. ms. Watered by Pemigewasset and Lower
Ammonoosuck rivers, and smaller streams. Squam and Newfound
lakes are considerable bodies of water, the former of which lies
partly in Carroll co., and presents much picturesque scenery.
The surface is mountainous, but contains much good land.
Organized in 1771. Capital, Haverhill. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 49,996, sheep 174,661, swine 26,090; wheat 100,231 bush,
produced, rye 49,864, Ind. corn 135,683, buckwheat 25,991,
barley 7,198, oats 382,581, potatoes 1,191,518, sugar 340,477
pounds; 99 stores, cap. $303,800; 1 furnace, 1 forge, 31 fulling
m., 13 woolen fac, 36 tanneries, 5 potteries, 57 grist m.. 196
saw m., 1 oil m., 2 paper fac, 3 printing offices, 2 binderies,
1 periodical, 2 weekly newspapers. Capital in manufac. $673,764.
1 college, 404 students, 6 acad. 476 students, 369 sch. 14,047
scholars. Pop. 42,311.
Grafton, p-t., Grafton co., N. H., 33 n. W. Concord, 504 W. The
surface is hilly or mountainous, and the soil rocky, with some
good land. Glass mountain, which on one side rises nearly
perpendicularly 150 feet, furnishes mica, or isinglass, which is
procured in plates 6 inches square or more, and is exported. It
has 3 stores, cap. $6,200; 1 fulling m., 3 grist m., 9 saw m.,
11 sch. 455 scholars. Pop. 1,201.
Grafton, p-t., Windham co., Vt., 109 s. Montpelier, 456 W. The
surface is uneven, and the soil is productive. Watered by
Sexton's and Williams's rivers. Soapstone of a fine quality is
extensively found, and wrought and exported. It has 3 stores,
cap. $9,500; 3 fulling m., 2 woolen fac., 2 tanneries, 2 grist
m., 6 saw m. Cap. In manufac $23,735. 13 sch. 436 scholars. Pop.
Grafton, p-t Worcester co., Mass., 36 s. w. by W Boston, 406 W.
It has an excellent soil, and a fine location. Watered by
Blackstone r., which, with a tributary, affords water power. The
Boston and Worcester railroad passes through its N. part, and
the Blackstone canal through its s. w. corner. It has 6 stores,
cap. $28,000 ; 4 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 5 cotton fac. $22,931
sp., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $130,400.
10 sch. 468 scholars. Pop. 2,943.
Grafton, p-t., Rensselaer co., N. Y., 20 n. e. Albany, 390 W.
The surface is hilly, and the soil a clay loam, with a heavy
natural growth of limber. Watered by Poeston lull, and other
small streams. There are in the t., 1 grist m., 13 saw m., 4 oil
m., 12 sch. 398 scholars. Pop. 2,019.
Grafton. p-t., Loraine co., O., 118 n. n. e. Columbus, 429 W.
Grand post office is situated at Columbus, 363 W. It has 4 sch.
164 scholars. Pop. 715
Grafton, p-v., Jersey co., Ill., 85 Springfield, 826 W.
Graham, p-o., Minisnk t., Orange co., N. Y.
Graham's Forge, p-o., Lincoln co., N. C.
Graham's Station, p-v., Sutton t., Meigs co.. O., 103 s. e.
Columbus, 338 W.
Graham's Turn Out, p-o., Barnwell dist., S. C, 81 s. s. w.
Columbia, 537 W.
Grahamsville, p-o., Neversink t., Sullivan co., N. Y., 96 s. by
w. Albany, 312 W.
Grahamsville, p-v., Beaufort dist., S. C., 144 s. Columbia, 629
Grahamsville, p-o., York co., Pa., 45 s. Harrisburg, 95 W.
Grampian Hills, p-o., Clearfield co., Pa., 138, n. w.
Harrisburg, 230 W.
Granger, County, Tenn. Situated toward the E.
part of the state, and contains 320 sq. miles. Clinch r. runs on
its n. w. border, and Holston r. runs through and along the s.
E. part. The surface is hilly and rough, but along the rivers is
fine land. A ridge of hills extends through the county, between
the rivers. Capital, Rutledge. There were in 1840, neat cattle
8,233, sheep 9,119, swine 30,263 : wheat 50,409 bush, produced,
rye 1,166, Ind corn 391,015, oats 121,922, potatoes 10,920,
tobacco 21,495 pounds, cotton 12,701, sugar 13,424; 18 stores,
cap. $91,000; 1 forge, 3 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac 128 sp., 10
tanneries, 42 distilleries, 7 flouring m., 25 grist m., 20 saw
m. 2 oil m., 1 paper fac. Cap. in manufactures, $67,335. 1 acad.
20 students, 24 sch. 520 scholars. Pop. whites 9,521, slaves
917, free col'd 134 total, 13,689.
Granby, t., Essex co., Vt. This t. was chartered in 1761, and
was first settled in 1800; and during a succession of cold
seasons, following the year 1810, it was nearly abandoned, but
has since been resettled. Watered by head branches of Paul's
stream, and of Moose r. The country around is thinly settled. It
has 2 sch. 43 scholars. Pop. 105.
Granby, p-t. Hampshire co., Mass., 9 s.e. Northampton, 85 w. by
s. Boston, 375 W. Incorporated in 1763. The soil is adapted to
grazing. It has some woolen manufactures. Copper ore is said to
be found here. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 2 woolen fac, 1
grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac $19,665. 6 sch. 280 scholars.
Granby. p-t., Hartford co., Ct., 16 n. n. w. Hartford,352 W.
Incorporated in 1786. In this t. are Simsbury copper mines,
formerly wrought, but afterwards occupied as the Connecticut
state prison. The pit or cavern, 50 feet deep, was the place of
nocturnal confinement; but this miserable hole has been
exchanged for a fine state prison at Wethersfield. Watered by
Farmington r. and its branches. The surface is hilly and rough,
and a rine location. Watered by Blackstone r., but it has some
good land, and 2 pleasant villages, which, with a tributary,
affords water power. I It has 6 stores, cap. $34,500: 2 fulling
m., 1 woolen fac. 3 tanneries, 18 distilleries, 3 grist m., 7
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $85,200. 2 acad. 27 students, 14 sch.
360 scholars. Pop. 2,611.
Granby, p-t., Oswego co., N. Y., 158 w. n. w. Albany. The
surface is undulating, and the soil a sandy loam, with heavy
timber of pine, oak, maple, beech, &c. Watered by Oswego r. and
some smaller streams. It has 2 stores, capital $7,000; 1
tannery, 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $16,405. 16 sch. 696
scholars. Pop. 2,385.
Granby, p-o., Licking co., O., 33 e. by n. Columbus, 391 W.
Grand, p-t., Marion co., O., 58 n by w. Columbus, 429 W. Grand
post-office is situated at Burlington v. in Grand t. This v.
contains 2 stores, about 35 dwellings, and 175 inhabitants.
There are in the t., 2 stores, cap. $4,000; 4 tanneries,2 grist
m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,050. 4 sch. 160 scholars. Pop.
Grand Blanc p-t., Genesee co., Mich., 53 n. w. Detroit, 577 W.
It has 4 stores, 10 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $18,700. Pop. 782.
Grand Cove, p-o., Natchitoches par., La.
Grand Coteau, p-o., St. Landry par., La., 205 w. New Orleans,
Grand Detour, p-v., Ogle co., Ill., 167 n. Springfield, 827 W.
Situated on the E. side of Rock r. It contains 1 church, and
several stores and dwellings.
Grand Gulf, p-v., Claiborne co., Miss., 65 s. by w. Jackson,
1,075 W. Situated on Grand Gulf, a remarkable bend in the
Mississippi r., 50 ms. by road above Natchez, and 360 by the
river above New Orleans. It contains 2 churches, 1 Presbyterian
and 1 Methodist, 26 stores, a bank, town hall, market-house,
hospital, Masonic hall, theatre, 1 cotton press, 1 iron foundry,
2 steam saw m., 200 dwellings, and 1,000 inhabitants,
Grand Haven, p-v., Ottawa t., capital of Ottawa co., Mich., 213
w. by N. Detroit, 694 W. Situated on the s. bank of Grand r.,
one fourth of a mile from its entrance into Lake Michigan,
between which and the lake are sand hills. It has a court house,
used also as a church and for schools, 3 stores, 5 large ware or
forwarding houses, 1 tannery, and 2 steam saw m. A steamboat of
100 tons plies between this place and Grand Rapids. Several
sloops are owned here, Steamboats and vessels from Chicago to
Detroit touch here on their passage. It has the best harbor on
this side of the peninsula, with a depth of 15 to 30 feet, and
never less than 12 feet.
Grand Isle, County, Vt., in the n. w. part of
the state, contains about 80 sq. ms. It consists chiefly of 2
large islands in Lake Champlain, and the town of Alburg,
situated on a point of land projecting into Lake Champlain from
Canada. The surface is moderately swelling, and the soil; very
fertile and well cultivated. Organized in 1802. Capital, North
Hero. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,463, sheep 27,451, swine
3,179; wheat 21,430 bush, produced, rye 9,504, Ind corn 13,816,
buckwheat 9,216, barley 1,655, oats 43,430,potatoes 76,408,
sugar 34,478 pounds ; 8 stores, cap. $13,100; 4 tanneries, 1
grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,430. 26 sch. 1,601
scholars. Pop. 3,883.
Grand Isle, p-t, Grand Isle co., Vt,. 99 n. w. Montpelier, 539
W. This t. consists of the n. half of the largest of 2 large
islands in Lake Champlain. Organized in 1809. The soil is
fertile, producing abundant grain and fruits. It has a grist m.
on a small mill stream, the only one in the co. It has a
Congregational and a Methodist church. Marble and limestone, and
rock crystals are found here. It has 1 store, cap. $1,200; 1
tannery. Pop. 724.
Grand Island, Niagara Strait, N. Y., comprises a part of
Tonewanda t., Erie co., situated in Niagara r., 3 ms. below
Black Rock, and extending within 3 ms. of Niagara Falls. It is 9
ms. long, and in its widest part, 6 wide. The surface is level,
and the soil excellent for grain or grass, and easy of
cultivation. It is chiefly covered with a heavy growth of white
oak, beech, maple, hickory, elm, ash, black oak, &c. It contains
17,331 acres, of which 12 or 1,500 are cultivated. It has an
extensive steam grist m., and a steam saw m. with 6 gangs of
Grand Lake, p-o., Chicot co., Ark., 167 s. by E. Little Rock,
1,177 W. Situated on w. side of the Mississippi r., near a lake
of the same name.
Grand Pass, p-o., Saline co., Mo., 103 n. n. w. Jefferson city,
1,017 W. Situated 3 s. of Missouri r.
Grand Prairie, t., Marion co., O. It has 1 tannery, 1 grist m.,
1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $550. 4 sch. 170 scholars. Pop. 717.
Grand, r., Mich. This is the largest river running wholly within
the peninsula. Two principal branches unite in Jackson co., a
little above Jackson v., and it pursues a winding northwardly
and west wardly course, until it enters Lake Michigan, at Grand
Haven, in Ottawa co. It is 270 ms. long, and about 60 rods wide
at its mouth, admitting vessels drawing 12 feet of water. It is
navigable for steamboats 40 miles to the Grand Rapids, and for
batteaux 240 miles.
Grand, r., Mo., rises in Iowa ter., and flowing s. e. enters the
Missouri, 240 ms. from its mouth. It is navigable for boats, 100
Grand River, t., Caldwell co., Mo. Pop. 302.
Grand River, t., Livingston co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 15 scholars.
Grand River, t., Van Buren co., Mo. It has 2 sch. 55 scholars.
Grand River, t., Carroll co., Mo. Pop. 1,064.
Grand River, t., Henry co., Mo. It has 3 sch. 62 scholars. Pop.
Grand Traverse Bay, is a considerable inlet from Lake Michigan,
toward the s. part of the peninsula.
Grand View, p-t., Washington co., O., 141 s. E. Columbus, 278 W.
Situated on the Ohio r., 25 ms. above Marietta. The portion on
the r. consists of fertile bottoms; the uplands are broken, and
adapted to grazing. It has 2 sch. 50 scholars. Pop. 514.
Grand View, p-v., Louisa co., Iowa.
Grand View, p-v., Edgar co., Ill., 114 e. Springfield, 675 W.
Situated near the head waters of Big cr., surrounded by a
beautiful and fertile rolling prairie.
Grandville, p-v., Kent co., Mich., 175 w. by N. Detroit, 656 W.
Situated at the junction of Buck and Rush creeks, and contains 3
stores, 7 saw m., and about 200 inhabitants. Schooners and
steamboats of the largest class ascend to this place, and
smaller boats as far as the rapids, first settled in 1835.
Granger, p-t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 10 n. Angelica, 250 w. by
s. Albany. The surface is undulating; soil, sandy and clay loam.
Drained by Genesee r. and its branches. It has 2 stores, cap.
$3.500; 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,500. 11 sch.
452 scholars. Pop. 1,064.
Granger, p-t., Medina co., O., 131 n. e. Columbus, 347 W. It has
7 sch. 333 scholars. Pop. 956.
Granger, p-o., Will co.. Ill.
Grangersville, p-o., Saratoga t., Saratoga co., N. Y., 37 n.
Albany, 409 W.
Grangerville, p-o., Macon co., Ga. Grant, county, Ky. Situated
in the n. part of the state, and contains 184 sq. ms. Drained by
Eagle cr., a branch of Kentucky r., which runs through its w.
part. Capital, Williamstown. There were in 1840, neat cattle
3,598, sheep 6,233, swine 12,774; wheat 32,303 bush, produced,
rye 3,532, Ind. corn 244,476, oats 26,383, potatoes 6,116,
tobacco 248,325 pounds, sugar 25,185; 9 stores, cap. $11,400; 1
woolen fac, 3 tanneries, 1 flouring m., 9 grist m., 8 saw ra.
Cap. in manufac. $25,135. 5 sch. 97 scholars. Pop. whites 3,838,
slaves 348, free col'd 6; total, 4,191.
Grant, County, Ia. Central in the n. part of
the state, and contains 415 sq. ms. Organized in 1831. The
surface is level, and generally covered with timber. Drained by
Missisinewa r. and its tributaries, a branch of the Wabash.
Capital, Marion. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,877, sheep
4,736, swine 18,846; wheat 22,733 bush, produced, Ind. corn
217,543, buckwheat 1,299, oats 30,707, potatoes 16,030, sugar
50,187 pounds; 11 stores, cap. $32,900; 2 tanneries, 1
distillery, 11 grist m., 13 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $27,104. 4
sch. 86 scholars. Pop. 4,875.
Grant, County, Wis. Situated in the s. w. part
of the ter., and contains nearly 1,200 sq. ms. It has Wisconsin
r. on its n. border, and the Mississippi on its w. and s. w.
border. The soil is highly productive, and it abounds in lead
ore. Drained by Blue, Grant, and Platte rivers. Capital,
Lancaster. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,197, sheep 463,
swine 8,645; wheat 10,796 bush, produced, Ind. corn 100,055,
barley 3,246, oats 65,400, potatoes 74,629, sugar 1,355 pounds;
32 stores, cap. $74,950; 17 smelting houses, producing 6,020,350
pounds lead, 1 brewery, 2 flouring m., 3 grist m., 11 saw m.
Cap. in manufac $55,471. 10 sch., 383 scholars. Population
Grantham, p-t., Sullivan co., N. H., 54 w. N. w. Concord, 434 W.
Croydon mountain lies in the w. part of the t. It has several
ponds, from one of which flows a head branch of Sugar r. The
soil is fertile; the low lands adapted to tillage, and the
mountain to grazing. It contains a medicinal spring. It has 1
store, cap. $1,000; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 3 saw m., 7 sch. 350
scholars. Pop. 1,036.
Grantsboro, p-o., Campbell co., Tenn., 201 Nashville, 507 W.
Grant's Creek, p-o., Switzerland co., Ia., 99 s. e.
Indianapolis, 530 W. Situated on the N. side of the Ohio r.
Granville, County, N. C. Situated in the n,
part of the state, and contains 828 sq. ms. Drained by Tar r.,
and by branches of Roanoke r. and Neuse r. Capital, Oxford.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 13,727, sheep 14.234, swine
36,422; wheat 51,938 bush, produced, rye 1,174, Ind.com 556,530,
oats 140,905, potatoes 27,063, tobacco 3,918,822 pounds, cotton
479,499; 27 stores, cap. $184,450; 5 tanneries, 3 distilleries,
10 flouring m., 46 grist m., 27 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $99,628.
6 acad. 163 students, 18 sch. 225 scholars. Pop. whites 9,309,
slaves 8,707, free col'd 801; total, 18,817.
Granville, p-t., Addison co., Vt., 35 s. s. w. Montpelier, 490
W. The surface is mountainous. Chartered in 1780, by the name of
Kingston. Watered by head branches of White r., one of which has
a fall of 100 feet, 50 feet of the lower part being
perpendicular. It has 1 store, cap. $4,000; 1 saw m., 7 sch. 255
scholars. Pop. 545.
Granville, t., Hampden co., Mass., 120 s. by w. Boston. The
surface is elevated, and the soil is fertile. Toward the s. e.
part is a pleasant v., which contains 2 churches, 1
Congregational and 1 Baptist. There are in the t. 5 stores, cap.
$6,700; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 grist m., 10
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $l,200. 9 sch. 370 scholars. Pop. 1,414.
Granville, p-t., Washington co., N. Y., 63 N. n. E. Albany, 433
W. The surface is moderately uneven and broken; soil, a fertile
clay loam. Drained by Pawlet r., which flows into Lake
Champlain. The v. is situated near the Vermont line, and
contains 3 churches, 1 Episcopal, 1 Methodist, and 1 Friends, 6
stores, 1 woolen fac, 1 grist m., and 1 tannery, 90 dwellings,
and 500 inhabitants. There are in the t. 8 stores, cap. $55,100;
3 fulling m., 3 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac. 1,452 sp., 3
tanneries, 1 pottery, 3 grist m., 2 flouring m., 8 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $74,630. 2 acad. 150 students, 18 sch. 957 scholars.
Granville, p-t., Bradford co., Pa., 147 n. e. Harrisburg, 257 W.
It has 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,560. 3 sch. 185
scholars. Pop. 651.
Granville, t., Mifflin co., Pa. It has 1 furnace, 2
distilleries, 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,245. 7
sch. 185 scholars. Pop. 1,016.
Granville, p-t., Licking co., O., 34 n. e. Columbus, 373 W. This
flourishing t. was settled in 1805, by emigrants from Granville,
Mass. The v. is situated on the E. fork of Licking r., and
contains 3 churches, 1 male and 2 female academies, 1 bank, 1
foundry, 1 furnace, and 2 mills, 2 acad. 345 students, 1 sch.
200 scholars, 100 dwellings, and 727 inhabitants. One mile e. of
the v. is Granville College, a literary and theological
institution, under the direction of the Baptists, founded in
1832, has a president, and 4 professors or other instructors, 20
students, and 3,000 vols, in its libraries. The commencement is
on the 2d Wednesday in August. There are in the t. 1 acad. 178
students, 8 sch. 400 scholars. Pop. 1,528.
Granville, p-v., Monongalia co., Va., 298 n. w. Richmond, 220 W.
Situated on Dunkard cr., on the w. side of Monongalia r. It has
1 church, free to all denominations, 3 stores, 2 warehouses,
various mechanic shops, 25 dwellings, and about 125 inhabitants.
Granville, p-v., Delaware co., Ia., 68 n. e. Indianapolis, 539
W. On the s. w. side of the Missisinewa r.
Granville, p-v., Jackson co., Tenn., 64 e. Nashville, 642 W.
Situated on the e. bank of the Cumberland r.
Granville, p-v., Platte co., Mo. Situated on the e. side of the
Granville, t., Milwaukee co., Wis. It has 1 grist m. Cap. in
manufac. $1,000. Pop. 225.
Grape Island, p-o., Tyler co., Va., 330 n. w. Richmond, 286 W.
Grape Grove, p-t., Ray co., Mo., 154 N. w. Jefferson city, 1,057
Grape Spring, p-o., Hamilton co., Tenn., 147 s. e. Nashville,
Grape Vine, p-o., Perry co., Ky., 143 s. e. Frankfort, 528 W.
Grass Hills, p-o., Carroll County, Ky., 50 n. Frankfort, 548 W.
Grass Lake, p-t., Jackson co., Mich., 67 s. w. Detroit, 542 W.
Situated on the outlet of Grass Lake. It has 2 stores, cap.
$6,000; 1 acad. 75 students, 3 sch. 132 scholars. Pop. 1,127.
Grass Land, p-o., Harrison co., Va., 219 n. w. Richmond, 233 W.
Grassy Creek, p-o., Pendleton co., Ky., 72 s. E. Frankfort, 518
Grassy Cove, p-o., Bledsoe co., Tenn., 120 e. s. e. Nashville,
Grassy Point, p-v., Rockland co., N. Y., 109 s. Albany, 277 W.
It has a convenient steamboat landing on the w. side of Hudson
r., 1 store, an extensive brick yard, and 12 or 15 dwellings.
Grassy Pond, p-o., Spartanburg disk, S. C
Grass, r., N. Y., rises in the e. part of St. Lawrence County,
and flows northwardly into the St. Lawrence r., on the n.
boundary of the state.
Gratiot, County, Mich. Situated in the central
part of the state, and contains 576 sq. ms. It has an undulating
surface, and a good soil, well timbered, and with pine in the n.
part. Watered by Maple and Pine rivers. Unorganized.
Gratiot, p-v., Hopewell t., Licking co., O., 42 E. Columbus, 351
W. It is pleasantly situated in an elevated and commanding
position, on the national road, and contains 1 brick church, 12
stores, a number of mechanic shops, 1 steam saw m., 1 carding
machine, 50 dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants.
Gratiot's Grove, p-o., Iowa co., Wis., 9 w. Madison, 876 W.
Gratis, p-t., Preble co., O., 92 w. Columbus, 435 W. It has a
fertile soil, and is highly cultivated.
Gratitude, p-o., Sussex co., N.J.,74n. Trenton, 231 W.
Gratz, p-v., Lykens t, Dauphin co., Pa., 48 n. Harrisburg, 153
W. It contains 3 stores and about 40 dwellings.
Graves, County, Ky. Situated in the w. part of
the state, and contains 660 sq. ms. Surface, level; soil,
fertile. Capital, Mayfield. There were in 1840, neat cattle
8,111, sheep 6,781, swine 25,212; wheat 36,719 bush, produced,
rye 1,293, Ind. corn 386,840, oats 82,843, potatoes 12,147,
tobacco 464,372 pounds, cotton 123,332; 10 stores, cap. $31,400;
1 woolen fac, 4 cotton fac, 3 tanneries, 3 distilleries, 1
pottery, 17 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $31,740. 17 sch.
401 scholars. Pop. whites 6,644, slaves 817, free col'd 4;
Grave Creek, p-o., Marshall co., Va., 352 n. w. Richmond, 266 W.
Gravel Hill, p-o., Buckingham co., Va., 67 w. Richmond, 249 W.
Gravel Hill, p-o., McNairy co., Tenn.
Gravel Spring, p-o., Frederick co., Va., 165 N. w. Richmond, 93
Gravelly Hill, p-o., Bladen co., N. C, 121 s. Raleigh, 351 W.
Gravesend, t., Kings co., N. Y., 9 s. N. York. The surface is
level, having much salt marsh. It has a few sand hills near the
shore. Coney Island lies in front of it, with a full exposure to
the Atlantic, and is much resorted to for sea bathing. The v.
contains a Dutch Reformed church, and about 15 houses. The t.
contains 2 stores, cap. $3,000; 2 sch. 86 scholars. Pop. 799.
Graves Mt., a conical peak, about 800 feet high, in the w. part
of Lincoln co., Ga.
Graves' Landing, p-o., Lowndes Co., Ala., 110 s. e. Tuscaloosa,
Graves Mill, p-o., Madison co., Va., 105 n. w. Richmond, 106 W.
Gravi, p-o., Morgan co., Mo., 56 w. Jefferson city, 992 W.
Gray, p-t., Cumberland co., Me., 47 s. w. Augusta, 561 W. This
is a fine farming t. It has 9 stores, cap. $5,000; 2 fulling m.,
2 woolen fac, 1 cloth dressing works, 1 store, and about 25 3
tanneries, 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac $5,500. 11 sch.
702 scholars. Pop, 1,740
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!