Greenfield, OH to Griggstown, NJ
Greenfield, t., Gallia co., O. Watered by Symme's cr. It has 1
grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. 81,800. Pop. 639.
Greenfield, t., Huron co., O., 106 n. by e. Columbus. It has 10
sch. 330 scholars. Pop. 1,460.
Greenfield, p-v., Nelson co., Va., 107 w. by N. Richmond, 149 W.
Greenfield, p-v., capital of Hancock co., Ia., 20 e.
Indianapolis, 551 W. It is situated on the National road, ½ m.
w. of Brandywine cr., and contains a court house, a Methodist
church, a seminary, and about 200 inhabitants. There are in the
t. 1 saw m., 1 sch. 8 scholars. Pop. 223.
Greenfield, t., La Grange co., Ia. It has 1 store, cap. $4,000.
Cap. in manufac. $80. 1 acad. 50 students, 1 sch. 43 scholars.
Greenfield, p-v., Greene co., Ill., 60 s. w. Springfield, 832 W.
Situated in String Prairie, and contains 2 stores, a carding
machine, and about 15 dwellings.
Greenfield, p-v., Sullivan co., Tenn., 199 e. Nashville, 394 W.
Greenfield, p-v., Shelby co., Mo., 136 n. Jefferson City, 950 W.
Situated 1 m. s. of South Fabius r.
Greenfield, p-v., capital of Dade co., Mo., 150 s. w. Jefferson
Greenfield, p-t., Wayne co., Mich., 6 n. w. Detroit, 530 W. Iron
ore is found here. It has 1 saw m. Pop. 733.
Greenfield, p-v., Milwaukee co., Wis., 92 e. Madison, 814 W.
Greenfield Centre, p-o., Greenfield t., Saratoga co., N. Y., 40
n. Albany, 410 W.
Greenfield's Mills, p-o., Frederick co., Md., 86 n. w.
Annapolis, 54 W.
Greenford, p-o., Green t., Columbiana co., O., 158 n. E.
Columbus, 294 W.
Green Grove, p-o., Armstrong co., Pa., 190 w. n. w. Harrisburg,
Green Grove, t, Ray co., Mo. It has 2 sch. 46 scholars. Pop.
Green Hill, p-o., Campbell co., Va., 132 w. s. w. Richmond, 219
Green Hill, p-o., Columbiana co., O., 146 n. E. Columbus, 294 W.
Green Hill, p-o., Wilson co., Tenn., 14 e. Nashville, 607 W.
Greenland, p-t., Rockingham co., N. H., 45 e. s. e. Concord, 488
W. Originally a part of Portsmouth; incorporated in 1703. The
soil is very fertile. It extensively supplies Portsmouth with
vegetables and fruit. It has 2 stores, cap. $2,900; 1 fulling
m., 3 grist m., 1 saw m., 5 sch. 136 scholars. Pop. 726.
Greenland, p-o., Lancaster co., Pa., 41 E. Harrisburg, 115 W.
Greenland, p-o., Warren co., Ill. Green Mountains, Vt., a range
of mountains which commences near New Haven, Ct., and extends
through Connecticut, Massachusetts, and the middle of Vermont,
between Lake Champlain and Connecticut r. In Washington co.,
Vt., it throws off a branch of inferior height to the N. E.,
called the height of land dividing the waters which flow into
the Connecticut from those which flow into lakes 3Iemphremagog
and Champlain; while the main branch continues n. and is pierced
by the large rivers which flow into Lake Champlain. The loftiest
summits are Mansfield Mountain, 4,279 feet above the level of
the sea, and Camel's Rump, 4,188 feet. The former is a little
n., and the latter a little s., of the road from Burlington to
Montpelier, which passes through this great chain, in the valley
of Onion r., without encountering any high hills, and in like
manner passes down White r. to Connecticut r.
Green Oak, p-t., Livingston co., Mich., 41 w. by n. Detroit, 533
Greenock, p-v., Crittenden co., Ark., 148 n. e. Little Rock, 933
W. Situated on the w. bank of the Mississippi r.
Green Plains, p-o., Northampton co., N. C, 90 n. by e. Raleigh,
Green Plains, p-o., Hancock co., Ill., 139 w. N. w. Springfield,
Greenport, t., Columbia co., N. Y., 2 s. Hudson, 30 s. Albany.
The surface is hilly; soil, gravel, clay and loam. Hudson r.
runs on its w. border. It has 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 3 sch.
143 scholars. Pop. 1,161.
Greenport, p-v., Southold t., Suffolk co., N. Y., 246 s. E.
Albany, 326 W. Situated near the n. e. end of Long Island.
Incorporated in 1838. It contains 3 churches several stores, 100
dwellings, and about 700 inhabitants. Here are owned several
whale ships, besides a considerable number of smaller vessels,
engaged in the coasting trade. The harbor will admit the largest
ships, well sheltered from storms, and is rarely obstructed by
ice. The Long Island railroad will terminate here, 93 ms. from
Brooklyn, and 24 by water from Stonington.
Green, r., Ky., rises in Lincoln co., and after a course
generally w. and n. w., enters the Ohio, 50 ms. above the mouth
of Cumberland r., and 200 below Louisville. It is 200 yards wide
at its mouth, and is bootable for nearly 200 miles.
Green River, p-o., Windham co., Vt., 131 s Montpelier, 426 W.
Green River, p-o., Hillsdale t., Columbia co., N. Y., 35 s. s.
E. Albany, 363 W.
Green River, p-o., Henry co., Ill., 144 n. w. Springfield, 873 W
Green's, p-o., Jefferson co., Ala., 61 n. e. Tuscaloosa, 771 W.
Green's, p-o., Grayson co., Ky., 129 s. w. Frankfort, 671 W.
Greensboro, p-t., Orleans co., Vt.,29 n. n. e. Montpelier, 545
W. Chartered in 1781. The surface is uneven; soil, moderately
good. Drained by the head waters of Lamoille r. The outlet of
Caspian Lake affords water power. It has 1 store, cap. $3,500; 1
fulling m., 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,200. 7 sch.
95 scholars. Pop. 883.
Greensboro', p-v., Greene co., Pa., 196 w. by s. Harrisburg, 204
Greensboro', p-v., Caroline co., Md., 59 e. Annapolis, 99 W.
Greensboro', p-v., Greene co., Ky., 89 s. w. Frankfort, 611 W.
Greensboro', p-o., Mecklenburg co., Va., 117 s. s. w. Richmond,
230 W. This has been a place of considerable business, but is
now occupied by a single private residence, with the exception
of a public house.
Greensboro', p-v., capital of Guilford co., N. C, 82 w. n. w.
Raleigh, 303 W. Situated between the n. and s. branches of
Buffalo cr. If contains a court house, jail, a church, the
Caldwell Institute, and several neat dwellings.
Greensboro , p-v., capital of Greene co., Ga., 44 n. by e.
Milledgeville, 604 W. Situated on the Georgia railroad. It
contains a court house, jail, banking house, 3 churches, 1
Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist, 8 stores, 55
dwellings, and 763 inhabitants.
Greensboro', p-v., Greene county, Ala.. 40 s. Tuscaloosa, 852 W.
Situated in a rich cotton district.
Greensboro', p-v., capital of Choctaw county, Miss., 110 n. e.
Jackson, 945 W. It is situated on one of the head branches of
Big Black River
Greensboro', p-v., Henry co., Ia., 40 e. Indianapolis, 541 W.
Greensburg, p-b., capital of Westmoreland co., Pa., 168 w.
Harrisburg, 194 W. It contains a court house, jail, county
offices, 5 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Dutch
Reformed, 1 Covenanter, 1 Methodist, 1 academy, 1 female
seminary, and 130 dwellings. It has 11 stores, cap. $44,800; 2
grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,500. 4 sch. 147 scholars.
Greensburg, p-v., capital of St. Helena par., La., 75 n. by w.
New Orleans, 1,150 W. Situated on the w. side of Tickfaw r. It
has a court house, a U. S. land office, and several dwellings.
Greensburg, p-v., Green t., Trumbull comity, O., 185 n. e.
Columbus, 319 W. It contains 2 stores, several mechanic shops, 1
grist m., 3 saw m., 115 dwellings, and about 650 inhabitants.
Greensburg, p-v., capital of Decatur co., Ia., 47 s. e.
Indianapolis, 550 W. Situated on the "Michigan Road." It
contains a court house, 7 stores, and about 800 inhabitants.
Green's Fork, p-o., Washington t., Wayne co., Ia., 68 e.
Indianapolis, 513 W.
Green's Fork, t., Randolph co., Ia. It has 2 stores, cap.
$2,700; 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$3,805. 3 sch. 95 scholars. Top. 1,573.
Green Spring, p-o., Seneca co., O., 101 n. Columbus, 419 W.
Green's Store, p-o., Lawrence co., O., 130 s. by e. Columbus,
Greenstown, p-v., Lake t., Stark co., O., 133 n. e. Columbus,
Greenton, p-o., La Fayette co., Mo., 134 n. w. Jefferson city,
Greentree Grove, p-o., Stewart co., Tenn., 86 n. w. Nashville,
Greenup, County, Ky. Situated in the n. e. part
of the state, and contains 768 sq. miles. Drained by Little
Sandy and Tyger's creeks. The surface is hilly, and the land
along the streams is rich. The hills contain much coal and iron
ore. Capital, Greenupsburg. There were in 1840, neat cattle,
4,096, sheep 4,619, swine 9,131; wheat 1 1,635 bushels produced,
Ind. corn 189,800, oats 30,465, potatoes 5,410, tobacco 3,000
pounds, sugar 4,925; 15 stores, cap. $49,000; 10 furnaces, 2
forges, 3 tanneries, 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac., $15,130. 11 sch.
225 scholars. Pop. whites 5,479, slaves 754, free col'd 64;
Greenupsburg, p-v., capital of Greenup co., Ky., 146 e.
Frankfort, 429 W. Situated on the s. bank of Ohio r., at the
entrance of Little Sandy r. It has a court house, seminary, and
about 300 inhabitants.
Greenup, p-o., Coles co., Ill., Ill Springfield, 639 W.
Green Village, p-v., Franklin co., Me., 91 n. w. Augusta, 686 W.
Greensville, County, Va. Situated on the s. I
toward the e. part of the state, and contains 325 square miles.
Organized from Brunswick co., in 1781. Drained by Brunswick and
Meherin rs. Nottaway r. runs on its n. border. Capital,
Hicksford. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,436, sheep 4,865,
swine 15,696; wheat 8,860 bushels produced, Ind. com 229,510,
oats 92,943, potatoes 10.655, tobacco 346,100 pounds, cotton
72,629; 6 stores, cap. $38,700; 1 tannery, 11 grist m. Cap. in
manufac. $27,400. 1 acad. 30 students, 9 schools, 170 scholars.
Pop. whites 1,928, slaves 4,102, free col'd 136; total, 6,366.
Greenville, district, S. C, situated in the n. w. part of the
state, and contains 705 sq. ms. The surface is various, and the
soil fertile. Drained by the branches of Saluda r., which runs
on its s. w. border, and those of Ennoree. Capital, Greenville.
There were in 1810, neat cattle 11,518, sheep 6,515, swine
26,452; wheat 37,644 bushels produced, rye 2,682, Ind. corn
418,940, oats 49,259, potatoes 18,641, tobacco 1,500 pounds,
cotton 137,765; 36 stores, cap. $104,250; 4 cotton fac. 1,964
sp., 7 tanneries, 10 distilleries, 8 flouring m., 65 grist m.,
42 saw m., 1 paper fac, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers.
Cap. in manufac. $108,800. 3 acad. 148 students, 23 sch. 524
scholars. Pop. whites 12,491, slaves 5,305, free col'd 43;
Greenville, pt, Piscataquis co., Me., 91 N. e. Augusta, 686 W.
Situated at the s. end of Moose head lake. It has 1 store, 1
grist m., 1 saw m., 2 sch. 51 scholars. Pop. 128.
Greenville, p-v., Providence co., R. I., 9 w. Providence, 402 W.
Greenville, p-t., Greene co., N. Y., 29 s. by w. Albany, 361 W.
The surface is broken and hilly; soil, clay loam, adapted to
grass. Drained by Provost and Catskill creeks. It has 9 stores,
cap. $19,600; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 distillery, 1 grist
m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac $15,850. 13 sch. 401 scholars. Pop.
Greenville, p-v., Green t, Sussex co., N. J., 71 n. Trenton, 232
W. It contains 1 store, 1 tannery, and 12 or 15 dwellings.
Greenville, p-o., Luzerne co., Pa., 159 n. e. Harrisburg, 263 W.
Greeneville, p-t., Somerset co., Pa. It has 1 distillery, 20 saw
m. Cap. in manufac $2,200. Pop. 572.
Greenville, p-v., Augusta co., Va., 123 w. n. w. Richmond, 165
W. South r. runs through the t., affording water power. It
contains 3 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries,
various mechanic shops, 1 academy, 50 or 60 dwellings, and about
Greenville, p-v., capital of Pitt co., N. C, 102 e. by s.
Raleigh, 721 W. Situated on the s. side of Tar r., 35 ms. above
its entrance into Pamlico sound. It contains a court house,
jail, an academy, several stores and dwellings.
Greenville, p-v., capital of Meriwether co., Ga., 102 w.
Milledgeville, 721 W. It contains a court house, jail, 1
Presbyterian and 1 Methodist church, 10 stores, and 47
Greenville, p-v., capital of Butler co., Ala., 141 s. s. e.
Tuscaloosa, 883 W. Situated on the w. side of Sepulgah r.
Greenville, p-v., capital of Clark co., Ark., 78s.w. Little
Rock, 1,143 W.
Greenville, p-v., capital of Greene co., Tenn., 258 e.
Nashville, 437 W. It contains Greenville College, founded in
1794, has a president and professor, 110 alumni, 41 students,
and 3,000 vols, in its libraries. The commencement is on the 3d
Wednesday in September. This is one of the oldest colleges w. of
the Alleghany Mountains.
Greenville, p-v., capital of Muhlenburg co., Ky., 105 w. s. w.
Frankfort, 717 W. Situated on a branch of Green r.
Greenville, p-v., capital of Darke co., O., 91 w. Columbus, 485
W. Located on the site of old Fort Greenville, where Gen. Wayne
concluded the celebrated treaty of peace with the Indians, in
1795. Situated just below the junction of Greenville and Mud
creeks, and has a handsome court house, jail, 3 churches, 1
Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 1 Unitarian, all of brick, 80
dwellings, and about 500 inhabitants.
Greenville, p-v., Floyd co., Ia., Ill s. Indianapolis, 612 W. It
has 3 stores, 1 mill, a. carding machine, and about 200
Greenville, p-v., capital of Bond co., III., I 74 s.
Springfield, 758 W. Situated on the East fork of Shoal cr. It
has a court house, 4 stores, various mechanic shops, and about
Greenville, p-v., capital of Wayne co., Mo., 113 s. e. Jefferson
city, 917 W. Situated on the w. bank of the St. Francis r. It
contains a court house, a few stores, and several dwellings.
Greenville, C. H., p-v., capital of Greenville dist., S. C, 107
w. n. w. Columbia, 502 W. Situated near the head of Reedy r. It
contains a court house, jail, market house, 3 churches, 1
Baptist, 1 Episcopal, 1 Methodist, 1 male and 1 female academy,
12 stores, 110 dwellings, and 945 inhabitants.
Greenville, t., Saline co. Mo. It has 2 sch. 47 scholars. Pop.
Greenwich, p-t., Hampshire co., Mass., 75 w. Boston, 391 W.
Watered by Swift r., which affords water power. Incorporated in
1754. It has 2 stores, cap. §3,500; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac,
1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufactures $17,700. 7 sch. 287
scholars. Pop. 824.
Greenwich, p-t., Fairfield co., Ct., 82 s. w. Hartford, 258 W.
Watered by Byram r., which enters Long Island sound, on the
boundary between Connecticut and New York, and Miannus r. The
surface is rough and uneven, and the soil is productive. It
furnishes many beautiful views of the sound, and has several
fine landing places. Incorporated by the Dutch in 1665, and
claimed by New York. It has 13 stores, capital $31,400; 1 forge,
3 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $9,800. 6 sch. 326 scholars. Pop.
Greenwich, p-t., Washington co., N. Y., 35 N. N. e. Albany, 410
W. The surface is uneven; soil, a fertile gravelly loam. Hudson
r. runs on its w. border, and Battenkill r. on its s. It has 8
stores, cap. $50,700; 2 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 1 pottery, 1
printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 5 grist m., 10 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $10,100. 1 acad. 50 students, 15 sch. 393 scholars.
Greenwich, Warren co., N. J., 10 s. Belvidere. The surface is
hilly, embracing South mountain; soil, productive. Drained by
Lopatcong, Pohatcong, and Musconetcong crs., flowing into
Delaware r., which bounds it on the w. Morris canal crosses the
t. It contains marble, soapstone, and iron. It has 17 stores,
cap. $77,300; 3 lumber yards, cap. $20,000; 1 tannery, 4
flouring m., 6 grist m., 8 saw m., 4 oil m., 1 brewery. Cap. in
manufac. $127,900. 13 sch. 911 scholars. Pop. 2,902.
Greenwich, t., Gloucester co., N. J., 7 s. w. Woodbury. Drained
by Mantua, Repaupo, Clonmel, Crab, and Racoon creeks. It
contains 12 stores, cap. $20,650; 1 woolen fac, 1 distillery, 4
grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $41,150. 9 sch. 762
scholars. Pop. 2,958.
Greenwich, p-t., Cumberland co., N. J., 73 s. s. w. Trenton, 184
W. The surface is level; soil, generally clay and deep rich
loam, and well cultivated. Watered by Newport, Stow, Cohansey,
Mill, and Pine Mount creeks. There are in the t. 3 stores, cap.
$8,500; 1 distillery, 1 tannery, 1 grist m. Cap. in manufac.
$15,362. 3 sch. 105 scholars. Pop. 918.
Greenwich, t., Berks co., Pa., 18 n. e. Reading. The surface is
hilly, and the soil gravelly loam. Sacony cr., a branch of
Meriden cr., flows on its s. border, and receives Mill creek,
and other small tributaries, which afford water power. It has 1
church, 3 stores, cap. $4.500; 1 forge, 2 tanneries, 1 pottery,
5 grist m., 5 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $3,815. Pop.
Greenwich, p-t., Huron co., O., 93 n. by e. Columbus, 384 W. It
has 3 stores, cap. $30,000; 1 fulling m., 1 grist m., 5 saw m.
Cap. in manufac $41,600. 5 sch. 194 scholars. Pop. 1,116.
Greenwich Village, p-v., Greenwich t., Hampshire co., Mass., 73
w. Boston, 393 W.
Greenwood, p-t., Oxford co., Me., 54 w. Augusta, 598 W. It is a
good agricultural t., with a fertile soil. Incorporated in 1815.
It has 3 stores, cap. $2,400; 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $5,000. 307 scholars in schools. Pop. 836.
Greenwood, p-t., Steuben co., N. Y., 253 vv. by s. Albany, 318
W. The surface is hilly, and the soil adapted to grazing.
Drained by Bennett's cr. It has 2 stores, cap. $3,000; 1
tannery, 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,010. 12 sch.
351 scholars. Pop. 1,133.
Greenwood, p-t., Columbia co., Pa., 92 n. e. Harrisburg, 202 W.
Drained by tributaries of Fishing cr. If has 3 stores, cap.
$12,500; 2 fulling in., 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 6 grist m.,
13 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $17,660. 5 sch. 200 scholars. Pop.
Greenwood, t., Crawford co., Pa. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 2
distilleries, 3 grist m., 9 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$7,070. Pop. 1,171.
Greenwood, t., Perry co., Pa., 10 n. e. Bloomfield. It has 10
stores, cap. $21,800: 1 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 2 printing
offices, 2 weekly newspapers, 1 flouring m., 2 grist m., 12 saw
m. Cap. in manufac $19,025. 3 sch. 158 scholars. Pop. 725.
Greenwood, t., Juniata co., Pa. Situated on the w. side of the
Susquehanna r. It contains 9 sch. 324 scholars. Pop. 1,237.
Greenwood, p-v., Laurens dist., S. C, 81 n. w. Columbia, 505 W.
Greenwood, p-v., Johnson co., Ia., 10 s. Indianapolis, 536 W. It
has an academy and a few dwellings.
Greenwood, p-v., Caddo parish, La., 150 N. w. New Orleans, 1,300
Greersburg, p-v., or Darlington, 11 n. w. Beaver, in the s. w.
angle of Little Beaver t., Pa. It contains 1 Presbyterian
church, 4 stores, 1 academy, and 60 or 70 dwellings.
Gregg, t., Centre co., Pa. The surface is mountainous; soil,
calcareous loam, and fertile in the valleys. Watered by Sinking
cr. It has 2 stores, cap. $12,000; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 4 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $6,000. 7 sch. 245 scholars. Pop. 1,671.
Greig, t., Lewis co., N. Y. The surface is hilly and broken;
soil, various. It is drained by Otter and Fish creeks, and Moose
r. It has 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $100.
8 sch. 248 scholars. Pop. 592.
Greigsville, p-o., York t., Livingston co., N. Y., 234 w.
Albany, 351 W.
Grenada, p-v., Yalabusha co., Miss., 113 n. Jackson, 958 W.
Situated on the s. side of the Yalabusha r. It contains a U. S.
land office, and several stores and dwellings.
Grey Rock, p-o., Harford co., Md.
Griffin, p-v., Pike co., Ga., 80 w. Milledgeville, 684 W.
Situated on the Monroe railroad, 58 n. w. Macon.
Griffinsburg, p-v., Culpepper co., Va., 106 n. w. Richmond, 90
W. It contains 1 store.
Griffin's Hollow, p-o., Jackson co., Ala., 195 n. e. Tuscaloosa,
Griffin's Mills, p-v., Aurora t, Erie co., N. Y., 283 w. Albany,
368 W. Situated on Cazenove cr., and has 1 church, 2 stores, 1
grist m., 2 saw m., and about 20 dwellings.
Griggstown, p-v., Franklin t., Somerset co., N. J., 20 n. N. e.
Trenton, 194 W. Situated on the e. side of Millstone r. The
Delaware and Raritan canal passes through it. It has 1 store,
and 6 or 8 dwellings. A copper mine has been wrought in the
vicinity of this place, without much success.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!