Griggsville, IL to Gwynned, PA
Griggsville, p-v., Pike co., Ill., 61 w. Springfield, 841 W.
Situated 4 w. of Phillip's ferry, on Illinois r., on high
ground, near the margin of a large undulating prairie.
Grimsville, p-o., Berks co., Pa., 77 e. Harrisburg, 169 W.
Grisson's Cotton Gin, p-o., Christian co., Ky., 186 w. s. w.
Frankfort, 728 W.
Griswold, p-t., New London co., Ct., 50 e. s. e. Hartford, 368
W. Taken from the n. part of Preston, in 1815. Quinebaug r. runs
on its w. border, and, at Jewett city, a romantic manufacturing
village, containing about 1,000 inhabitants, it affords
extensive water power. Pochaug r. passes through the t., and
enters the Quinebaug at Jewett city. It has 7 stores, cap.
$11,000; 7 cotton fac. 9,667 sp., 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 4 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $297,450. 1 acad. 15 students, 13 sch. 496
scholars. Pop. 2,165.
Griswold. p-o., Hamilton co., Ill., 167 s. s. e. Springfield,
Griswold City, p-v., Franklin co., Mo., 62 e. Jefferson city,
884 W. Situated on the s. bank of the Missouri r.
Griswold's 3Iills, p-o., Fort Ann t., Washington co., N. Y., 61
n. n. e. Albany, 433 W.
Grogansville, p-o., Rockingham co., N. C, 127 n. w. Raleigh, 285
Grooversville, p-o., Thomas co., Ga., 279 s. e. w.
Milledgeville, 923 W.
Groton, p-t., Grafton co., N. H., 42 n. n. w. Concord, 510 W.
Watered by Baker's r. Incorporated in 1796. It has 1 store, cap.
$3,000; 1 fulling m., 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$5,850. 10 sch. 295 scholars. Pop. 870.
Groton, p-t., Caledonia co., Vt., 29 e. by s. Montpelier, 531 W.
The surface is uneven and rough, but it has some good land.
Drained by Wells r. and its branches, which afford water power.
It has several ponds, through one of which Wells r. passes.
Chartered in 1789. It has 2 stores, cap. $6.500; 1 fulling m., 2
tanneries, 1 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufactures $8,950. 9
sch. 332 scholars. Pop. 928.
Groton. P-t., Middlesex co., Mass., 33 n. w. Boston, 429 W.
Watered by Nashua and Squanecook rivers. Chartered in 1655. It
has a flourishing female seminary. It has 6 stores, cap.
$20,000; 1 paper fac, 3 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$18,000. 1 acad. 70 students, 14 sch. 747 scholars. Pop. $2,139.
Groton. p-t. New London co., Ct., 45 s. E. Hartford, 351 W.
Situated on the e. side of Thames r., at its mouth, opposite lo
New London. The surface is hilly and rough, with some good land,
particularly on Thames r. Watered by Pequonnuck and Mystic
rivers. It has a good harbor on Mystic r., and some whaling and
other vessels are owned here. Fort Griswold, one of the
fortifications for the defense of the harbor of New; London, is
on Groton Heights. There is a granite monument, 127 feet high,
erected to commemorate the patriots who defended this place when
attacked under the traitor Arnold, in Sep-t., 1781, and who were
barbarously killed, mostly after they had surrendered. The fort
was commanded by Col. Ledyard, brother of the celebrated
traveler, who was slain with his own sword, as he surrendered
it. It has 14 stores, capital $22.300; 4 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $13,710. 2 acad. 43 students, 11 sch. 759 scholars.
Groton, p-t., Tompkins co., N. Y., 162 w. by s. Albany, 312 W.
The surface is undulating; soil, a fertile gravelly loam.
Drained by Fall cr. The v. is situated on an inlet to Owasco
lake, and contains 1 Baptist and 1 Methodist church, a
flourishing academy, 4 stores, 1 flouring m., 3 saw m., 1
furnace, 1 carding machine, and 1 carriage fac, 50 dwellings,
and about 350 inhabitants. There are in the t. 10 stores, cap.
$39,500; 1 furnace, 3 fulling m., 4 tanneries, 1 printing
office, 1 weekly newspaper, 1 flouring m., 5 grist m., 13 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $40,250. 1 acad. 185 students, 21 sch. 1,217
scholars. Pop. 3,618.
Groton, p-t., Erie co., O., 95 n. Columbus, 405 W. Drained by
Pipe cr. It has 3 sch. 198 scholars. Pop. 736.
Grove, p-t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 261 w. s. w. Albany, 347 W.
The surface is undulating, and the soil sandy loam. Drained by
Cashaque and Canaseraga creeks. It has 4 sch. 218 scholars. Pop.
Grove, p-o., Chester co., Pa., 75 e. s. e. Harrisburg, 121 W.
Grove, t., Clinton co., Pa. It has 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$2,000. Pop. 239.
Grove, p-o., Chatham co., N. C, 20 w. Raleigh, 318 W.
Grove Hill, p-o., Warren co., N. C, 73 n. e. Raleigh, 219 W.
Grove Hill, p-o., Madison co., Ga., 85 n. Milledgeville.
Grove Hill, p-o., Clark co., Ala., 129 s. Tuscaloosa, 923 W.
Groveland, t., Livingston co., N. Y., 236 w. Albany. The surface
is elevated and ridgy; soil, mostly sand and clay loam. Conesus
Lake lies on its n. E. border. Drained by Canaseraga cr. It has
3 stores, cap. $7,700; 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$13,533. 11 sch. 446 scholars, j Pop. 2,000.
Groveland, p-t., Oakland co., Mich., 44 n. w. Detroit, 568 W. It
has 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $13,533.
Groveland, p-v., Tazewell co., Ill., 62 n. j Springfield, 776 W.
Groveland Centre, p-o., Groveland t., Livingston co., N. Y., 236
w. Albany, 341 W.
Grove Level, p-o., Franklin co., Ga., 105 n. Milledgeville, 620
Grove Mount, p-o., Dyer co., Tenn.
Groves, p-o., Fayette co., Ia., 54 E. Indianapolis, 525 W.
Groveton, p-o., Prince William co., Va., 107 n. Richmond, 35 W.
Grundy, County, Ill. Situated in the n. e. part
of the state. It contains 324 sq. ms. The surface is level;
soil, very fertile. The Illinois r. takes its name on its
eastern line, at the junction of the Des Plaines and the
Kankakee rivers, and passes w. through the centre of the county.
The C. H. is about to be erected on the n. side of the Illinois,
a little w. of the centre of the county.
Grundy, County, Mo. Situated in the n. part of
the state. The surface is level, and slopes to the s.; soil,
rich prairie land. Drained by the E. fork of Grand r., Medicine
and Muddy crs. Capital, Trenton.
Guernsey, County, O. Situated in the e. part of
the state, and contains 676 sq. ms. Named from the island of
Guernsey, near the coast of France, from which a considerable
number of its early settlers came. The surface is hilly; soil,
moderately good. Watered by Wills cr. and its branches. Grapes,
from which wine is made, have been successfully cultivated on
the sides of its hills, which also afford good pasturage.
Capital, Cambridge. There were in 1840, neat cattle 18,285,
sheep 41,583, swine 29,868; wheat 407,319 bush, produced, rye
7,325, Indian corn 602.159, buckwheat 13,773, oats 433,741,
potatoes 84,695, tobacco 1,774,129 pounds, sugar 34,420;
bituminous coal 55,858 bush.; 55 stores, capital $150,635; 18
tanneries, 8 distilleries, 2 potteries, 10 flouring m., 59 grist
m., 74 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in
manufac. $155,302. 2 colleges, 80 students, 2 acad. 83 students,
63 sch. 2,081 scholars. Pop. 27,748.
Guilderland, p-t., Albany co., N. Y., 9 w. Albany, 379 W. The
surface is level, and the soil indifferent. Drained by Norman's
kill. It has 15 stores, cap. $13,450; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen
fac, 1 tannery. Cap. in manufac. $6,950. 650 scholars in sch.
Guilderland Centre, p-o., Guilderland t., Albany co., N. Y., 12
w. Albany, 382 W.
Guildhall, p-t., capital of Essex co., Vt., 71 E. n. e.
Montpelier, 563 W. Situated on the w. side of Connecticut r.,
across which here are 2 bridges. The surface is uneven and
rough, excepting along the r. First settled in 1764. It has some
small streams which afford mill seats. The v., in the n. e.
corner, contains a court house, jail, and a number of dwellings.
It has 1 store, cap. $2,000; 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 2 saw
mills. Cap. in manufac. $2,000. 1 acad. 61 students, 4 sch. 120
scholars. Pop. 470.
Guilford, County, N. C. Situated toward the N.
w. part of state, and contains 672 sq. miles. Drained by the
head waters of Deep and Haw Rivers. The battle of Guilford Court
House, in 1781, has been celebrated in the history of the
revolutionary war. Capital, Greensboro'. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 11,629, sheep 13,462, swine 30,528; wheat 57,728
bush, produced, rye 1,090, Ind. corn 464,962, oats 36,834,
potatoes 8,136, tobacco 8,705 pounds, cotton 126,989; 30 stores,
cap. $124,948; 1 cotton fac. 2,500 sp., 16 tanneries, 275
distilleries, 24 flouring m., 43 grist m., 39 saw m., 4 oil m.,
1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac.
$216,335. 3 acad. 152 students, 13 sch. 333 scholars. Pop. 1830,
18,735; 1840, whites 15,891, slaves 2,647, free col'd 637;
Guilford, p-t., Piscataquis co., Me., 75 n. n. e. Augusta, 670
W. It has a fine soil, adapted to wheat. Watered by Piscataquis
r. and its branches. It has a pleasant v., where are a number of
mills. It has 7 sch. 404 scholars. Population, 892.
Guilford, p-t., Windham co., Vt., 124 s. Montpelier, 419 W.
Situated on the s. border of the state. The soil is fertile,
adapted both to grain and grazing. Watered by Green r. and Broad
brook, which afford water power. It has 4 stores, cap. $17,000;
1 tannery, 1 paper fac, 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$49,600. 14 sch. 496 scholars. Pop. 1,525.
Guilford, p-t., New Haven co., Ct., 52 s. Hartford, 316 W.
First, settled in 1639. The borough was incorporated in 1815, is
pleasantly located, and the houses are neat, though many of them
are antiquated in their appearance. It has 2 churches, 1
Congregational and 1 Episcopal and 150 dwellings. This place is
much resorted to for sea air and bathing. A stone dwelling is
here standing, built in 1640, and supposed to be the oldest
house now standing in the United States. It has 16 stores, cap.
$31,850; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $29,000. 1 acad. 60 students, 16 sch. 640 scholars.
Guilford, p-t., Chenango co., N. Y., 102 w. Albany, 334 W. It
has a hilly and broken surface, and a fertile soil. Unadilla r.
flows on its e. boundary. The v. contains 1 Presbyterian and 1
Methodist church, 2 stores, 25 dwellings, and about 200
inhabitants. There are in the t., 8 stores, cap. $24,500; 4
fulling m., 4 tanneries, 4 grist m., 14 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$41,350. 21 sch. 837 scholars. Pop. 2,827.
Guilford, t., Franklin co., Pa., 6 s. e. Chambersburg. The e.
branch of Conecocheague cr. runs on its w. boundary, and
receives several tributaries, which afford water power. The
surface is level, and the soil rests on limestone and slate. It
has 5 stores, cap. $14,000; 1 distillery, 1 flouring m., 6 grist
m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $15,500. 10 sch. 367 scholars.
Guilford, p-o., Madison co., O.
Guilford, t., Medina co., O. It has a good soil, adapted to
grain and to grazing. It contains the flourishing v. of Seville.
There are in the t., 1 store, cap. $1,100; 1 tannery, 1 grist
m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,425. 9 sch. 290 scholars. Pop.
Guilford, t., Hendricks co., Ia. Guilford, v., Hanover t.,
Columbiana co., O. Pop. 216. It has 1 sch. 40 scholars.
Guilford, po., Accomack co., Va., 207 e. Richmond, 183 W.
Guilford Centre, p-v., Guilford t., Windham co., Vt., 128 s.
Montpelier, 423 W.
Guilford Centre, p-o., Guilford t., Chenango co., N. Y.
Guineys, p-o., and depot, Caroline co., Va., 49 N. Richmond, 12
s. Fredericksburg, 68 W. Situated on the Richmond and Potomac
Guionsville, p-o., Dearborn co., Ia., 89 s. e. Indianapolis, 529
Gulf, p-o., Chatham co., N. C, 50 w. s. w. Raleigh, 338 W.
Situated on the n. side of Deep river.
Gulf Mills, p-o., Montgomery co., Pa., 88 e. Harrisburg, 153 W.
Gullitsville, p-v., Monroe co., Ga., 60 w. Milledgeville, 667 W.
Situated near the mouth of Towelagga r. It contains an academy,
2 stores, and several dwellings.
Gulley, p-o., Darlington dist., S. C, 116 e. n. e. Columbia, 456
Gum Branch, p-o., Darlington dist., S. C, 100 e. n. e. Columbia,
Gum Spring, p-o., Louisa co., Va., 34 n. w. Richmond, 157 W.
Gum Spring, p-o., Clinton co., Ill., 86 s. Springfield, 761 W.
Gum Swamp, p-o., Columbus co., N. C, 145 s. Raleigh, 433 W.
Gum Tree, p-o., Chester co., Pa., 63 e. s. k. Harrisburg, 112 W.
Gustavus, p-t., Trumbull co., O., 190 n. e. Columbus, 313 W. The
surface is undulating, and the soil adapted to grain and to
grazing. There is not a waste acre of land in the t. Drained by
branches of Beaver r. It contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist
church. It has 10 sch. 450 scholars. Pop. 1,195.
Gustavus, p-o., Greene co., Tenn., 245 e. Nashville, 448 W.
Guthriesville, p-o., Chester co., Pa., 63 e. s. e. Harrisburg.
Guthriesville, p-o., York dist., S. C, 72 n. Columbia, 437 W.
Guyan, t., Gallia co., O. Organized in 1826, and watered by a
creek of the same name. It has 1 store, cap. $2,000. Pop. 343.
Guyandotte, r., Va., rises in Logan co., and flows n. n. w., and
passes through Cabell co., and enters the Ohio below
Barbersville. It is about 100 ms. long. Little Guyandotte r.
enters the Ohio between the above and Great Kanawha rivers.
Guyandotte, p-v., Cabell co., Va., 3d9 w. n. w. Richmond, 396 W:
Situated on the Ohio r., at the entrance of Guyandotte r., on
the point of land between these rivers, and contains 1 church,
free to all denominations, 5 stores, 1 steam grist m. and saw
m., 1 carding machine, 1 tannery, various mechanic shops, 50
dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants.
Guys Mills, p-o., Crawford co., Pa., 246 n, w. Harrisburg, 319
Guysville, p-o., Athens co., O., 86 s. e. Columbus, 335 W.
Gwinnett, County, Ga. Situated centrally toward
the n. part of the state, and contains 648 sq. ms. Watered by
branches of Chattahoochee, Ocmulgee, and Oconee rivers, and
divides the waters which flow into the Atlantic, from those
which flow into the Gulf of Mexico. Capital, Lawrenceville.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,792, sheep 4,525, swine
18,297; wheat 47,011 bush, produced, rye 764, Ind. corn 317,761,
oats 53,599, potatoes 9,799, tobacco 2,828 pounds, cotton
45,297; 19 stores, cap. $45,900; 2 tanneries, 21 distilleries,
33 grist m., 18 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,805. 2 acad. 81
students, 11 sch. 224 scholars. Pop. whites 8,552, slaves 2,238,
free col'd 14; total, 10,804.
Gwynned, p-t., Montgomery co., Pa., 95 E. Harrisburg, 159 W. The
surface is rolling; soil, sandy loam. Watered by Wissahickon and
Towamensing creeks. It has a church in the centre of the t. It
contains 4 stores, cap. $5,500; 3 grist m., 3 saw m., 1 acad. 50
students, 1 sch. i 30 scholars. Pop. 1,589.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!