Habersham County, GA to Hamburg, MI
Habersham, County, Ga. Situated in the n. e.
part of the state, and contains 760 sq. ms. The surface is
mountainous. Turoree r., a branch of Tugaloo r., runs on its n.
e. boundary. Watered by head branches of Chattahoochee r.
Organized in 1820. Capital, Clarksville. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 4,365, sheep 2,909, swine 10,646; wheat 11,659 bush,
produced, rye 2,441, Ind. corn 153,768, oats 21,877, potatoes
9,345, tobacco 4,635 pounds, cotton 63,777; 10 stores, cap.
$18,600; 1 furnace, 1 smelting house, producing gold to the
amount of $14,431, 3 tanneries, 13 distilleries, 3 potteries, 22
grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,450. 1 acad. 35 students,
9 sch. 212 scholars. Pop. whites 7,007, slaves 942, free col'd
12; total, 7,961.
Habolochttto, p-o., Hancock co., Miss., 168 s. Jackson, 1,118 W.
Hackensack, r., N. J., rises in Rockland lake, Rockland co., N.
Y., and pursues a southwardly course, about 40 ms., to its
entrance into Newark bay. In the upper part of its course, it,
is a fine mill stream. It meets the tide at Hackensack t., after
which its course is through a marsh to the bay.
Hackensack, p-v., New Barbadoes t., capital of Bergen co., N.
J., 14 n. by w. New York, 76 N. E. Trenton, 242 W. Situated on
the w. side of Hackensack r., and contains a large brick court
house, the county offices, in a fire proof brick edifice, 3
churches, 1 Dutch Reformed, and 2 seceders from it, 2 academies,
10 stores, 150 dwellings, and about 1,000 inhabitants. Several
sloops ply between this place and New i York.
Hackensack, t., Bergen co., N. J., 13 n. by w. New York, is
situated between the Hackensack and Hudson rivers. It is a rich
agricultural t., well cultivated. The Hackensack r. is navigable
for sloops to the n. boundary of the t., affording it a ready
access to market. It has 5 stores, cap. $8,400; 1 lumber yard,
cap. $1,000; 1 fulling m., 9 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$3,000. 6 sch. 281 scholars. Pop. 2,631.
Hackettstown, p-v., Independence t., Warren co., N. J., 61 n.
Trenton, 222 W. Situated between the Morris canal and
Musconetcong r., Which are here one mile apart. It contains 1
Presbyterian and one Methodist church, an academy, 5 stores, 2
flouring m., 1 clover m., 1 woolen fee, and 40 dwellings.
Hackney's Cross Roads, p-o., Chatham co., N. C, 27 w. Raleigh,
Haddam, p-t., semi-capital of Middlesex co., Ct., 23 s.
Hartford, 334 W. It is situated on both sides of Connecticut r.
Incorporated in 1668. The surface is uneven and rough; soil,
gravelly loam. The lands bordering on the r., though not
generally alluvial, are smooth and fertile. Freestone is
extensively quarried here, and exported to the amount of about
$70,000 annually. The t. contains 1 Congregational, 1 Baptist,
and 2 Methodist churches. The principal v. contains a court
house, jail, a Congregational church, and an academy. There are
in the t. 9 stores, cap. $24,800; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 9 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $71,700. 1 acad. 112 students, 14 sch. 728
scholars. Population, 2,599.
Haddonfield, p-v., Newton t, Glocester co., N. J., 35 s. w.
Trenton, 145 W. It is situated on Cooper cr., and contains some
good houses on an extended street, 2 churches, 1 Friends and 1
Baptist, 7 stores, 2 grist in., 1 woolen fac, and 2 tanneries.
Haddonsville, p-v., Todd co., Ky., 190 s. w. Frankfort, 714 W.
Hadley, p-t., Hampshire co., Mass., 90 w. Boston, 333 W.
Situated on the e. side of Connecticut r., opposite to
Northampton, with which it is connected by a bridge 1,080 feet
long. Incorporated in 1661. The alluvial meadows on Connecticut
r. are exceedingly fertile. The v. is chiefly built on 2
streets, one of which is a mile long and 20 rods wide, and
contains a Congregational church, and Hopkins Academy, a
flourishing institution. There are in the t. 7 stores, cap.
$15,800; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$69,525. 1 acad. 91 students, 10 sch. 466 scholars. Pop. 1,814.
Hadley, p-t., Saratoga co., N. Y., 58 n. Albany, 427 W. The
surface is hilly and mountainous. Hudson r. bounds it on the e.
Watered by Sacandaga r., which here unites with the Hudson. Just
above the entrance of Sacandaga r., are Hadley falls, in Hudson
r. It has 1 store, 1 fulling m., 1 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $6,630. 6 sch. 230 scholars. Pop. 865.
Hadley, p-t., Lapeer co., Mich., 58 n. Detroit, 581 W. It has 1
sch. 25 scholars. Pop. 365.
Hadley, p-v., Will co., Ill., 174 n. e. Springfield, 751 W.
Hadley's Mills, p-o., Chatham co., N. C.,45 w. Raleigh, 329 W.
Hadlyme, p-v., East Haddam t., New London co., Ct., 39 s.
Hartford, 338 W. It contains 2 churches, 1 Baptist, 1
Congregational and several dwellings.
Haerlem, p-v., New York co., N. Y., 7½ n. n. e. New York, 150 s.
Albany, 232 W. Situated on Haerlem r., on a plain, and contains
4 churches, 1 Episcopal, 1 Dutch Reformed, 1 Methodist, and 1
Roman Catholic, 10 stores, 1 railroad car and coach fac, 2
carriage and wagon fac, 1 carpet fac, and 1 lumber yard. A toll
bridge here crosses Haerlem r. The Haerlem railroad passes
through the place, and cars communicate with the City Hall, New
York, several times an hour. Omnibuses also run continually to
the Bowery, through the Third Avenue, a beautifully Macadamized
road. Haerlem belongs to the 12th ward of the city.
Haerlem, p-t., Delaware co., O., 27 n. by e. Columbus, 398 W.
Situated in the n. e. corner of the county, and possesses a
fertile soil. It has 6 sch. 129 scholars. Pop. 963.
Haerlem Springs, p-o., Carroll co., O., 131 E. n. e. Columbus,
Hagerman's Mills, p-v., Amsterdam t., Montgomery co., N. Y., 36
w. n. w. Albany, 404 W. Here are 1 church, 1 store, 1 grist m.,
1 saw m., 1 carpet fac, and about 25 dwellings.
Hagerstown, p-v., capital of Washington co., Md., 26 n. w.
Frederick, 70 w. Baltimore, 101 n. w. Annapolis, 69 W. It is
pleasantly situated on the w. bank of Antictam cr. It is
regularly laid out, and built mostly with stone or brick houses,
and contains a handsome court house, which cost $50,000, a jail,
2 banks, 2 academies, a town hall, Masonic hall, an almshouse, 9
churches, 1 German Reformed, 1 Lutheran, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Episcopal, 2 Methodist, 1 Roman Catholic, and 2 African; 40
stores of different kinds, 2 forwarding and commission houses, 5
printing offices, and 4 daily or weekly newspapers, 400
dwellings, and 3,750 inhabitants.
Hagerstown, p-v., Monroe t., Preble co., O., 103 w. Columbus,
Hagerstown, p-v., Wayne co., Ia., 60 e. Indianapolis, 522 W.
Situated on the w. side of the west fork of White Water r.
Hague, p-t., Warren co., N. Y., 91 n. Albany, 464 W. The surface
is hilly or mountainous. Bounded e. by Lake George. It has 1
grist m., 4 saw m., 6 sch. 265 scholars. Pop. 610.
Hague, p-v., Westmoreland co., Va., 76 N. e. Richmond, 135 W.
Hague, p-v., Logan co., Ky., 174 s. w. Frankfort, 688 W.
Hains, t., Centre co., Pa., 19 e. Bellefonte. The surface is
mountainous; soil, in the valleys, calcareous loam. Two creeks,
running w. some distance, are lost in limestone fissures. It
contains the villages of Aaronsburg and Millheim. It has 1
furnace, 4 tanneries, 3 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac
$21,300. p op . 2,002.
Halcottsville, p-o., Middletown t., Delaware co., N. Y., 72 w.
s. w. Albany, 345 W.
Hale, p-o., Shelby co., O., 78 w. n. w. Columbus, 472 W.
Hale, t., Harden co., O. Pop. 267.
Halesford, p-o., Franklin co., Va., 163 w. s. w. Richmond, 238
Haleysburg, p-o., Lunenburg co., Va., 93 s. w. Richmond, 195 W.
Half Acre, v., Putnam co., Ga. It has a Methodist church, an
academy, 3 stores, and several dwellings.
Half Day, p-o., Lake co., Ill.. 232 n. n. e. Springfield, 738 W.
Half Moon, p-t., Saratoga co., N. Y., 13 n. Albany, 383 W. The
surface is generally level; soil, sand, sandy loam and clay, and
productive. Hudson r. runs on its e. border. The Champlain canal
and Rensselaer and Saratoga railroad pass through the t. It has
8 stores, cap. $15,550; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 grist m.,
2 saw m. Capital in manufactures $13,990. 1 academy, 69
students, 2 schools, 86 scholars. Population, 2,631.
Half Moon, p-t., Centre co., Pa., 99 n. w. Harrisburg, 180 W.
The surface is mountainous; soil, in the valleys, calcareous
loam. Watered by Bald Eagle cr. and Half Moon run, a branch of
Spruce cr. A ridge of the Alleghany mountains forms its w.
boundary, E. of which is Bald Eagle valley, bounded e. by Bald
Eagle ridge. It has 4 stores, cap. $12,000; 1 furnace, 1
tannery, 1 pottery, 4 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$30,500. 6 sch. 240 scholars. Pop. 1,406.
Half Way Swamp, p-o., Edgefield dist., S. C, 82 w. Columbia, 532
Halifax, County, Va., situated, centrally, on
the s. border of the state, and contains 759 square miles.
Staunton r. runs on its n. border. Watered by Bannister and Dan
rivers, and their branches. The soil is fertile. Capital,
Bannister. There were in 1840, neat cattle 13,614, sheep 17,431,
swine 30,981; wheat 78,164 bush, prod., Ind. com 598,251, oats
231,277, potatoes 15,546, tobacco 6,209,511 pounds, cotton
22,289; 20 stores, cap. $170,900; 7 tanneries, 1 distillery, 9
flouring m., 32 grist m., 38 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $239,000. 1
college, 14 acad. 298 students, 24 sch. 511 scholars. Pop.
whites 11,145, slaves 14,216, free col'd 575; total, 25,936.
Halifax, County, N. C, situated toward the N.
E. part of the state, and contains 720 square ms. Roanoke r.
runs on its n. e. border, and Fishing cr. on its s. border, by
branches of which it is watered. Vessels of 45 tons ascend the
Roanoke to the capital of the co. The soil is fertile. Capital,
Halifax. There were in 1840, neat cattle 13,392, sheep 8,270,
swine 38,651; wheat 11,230 bush, prod., Ind. corn. 669,325, oats
72,032, potatoes 49,162, tobacco 147,246 pounds, cotton
2,905,573; 4 commission houses, cap. $5,100; 29 stores, cap.
$132,330; 34 grist m., 7 saw in., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $19,875. 9 acad. 153 students, 10
sch. 118 scholars. Pop. whites 5,623, slaves 9,405, free col'd
1,837; total, 16,865.
Halifax, p-t., Windham co., Vt., 136 s. Montpelier, 421 W. The
surface is elevated and uneven, and the soil fertile, and well
adapted to grazing. Watered by Green River, a branch of
Deerfield r., and by North r., both of which afford good water
power. On a branch of North r. is a succession of cascades,
extending 100 rods, with falls, from 15 to 20 feet each. It has
2 stores, cap. $9,000; 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $8,125. 1 acad. 100 students, 15 sch. 491 scholars.
Halifax, p-t., Plymouth co., Mass., 36 s. s. E. Boston, 436 W.
The surface is generally level, and much of the soil fertile.
Several large ponds, by their outlets, afford water power.
Incorporated in 1734. It has 2 stores, cap. $1,500; 1 woolen
fac, 1 cotton fac. 300 sp., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $23,000. 5
sch. 139 scholars. Pop. 734.
Halifax, p-t., Dauphin co., Pa., 23 n. Harrisburg, 133 W.
Bounded w. by the Susquehanna r. The surface is hilly; soil, red
shale. Peter's mountain bounds it on the s., and a ridge runs
through it. The v. is situated on the e. bank of Susquehanna r.
Armstrong cr. flows E. of the v., near which it moves a mill,
and enters the Susquehanna, one mile above. It has 4 stores, and
about 80 dwellings. There are in the t , 13 stores, cap.
$31,750; 1 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 1 distillery, 2 flouring m.,
3 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac $4,735; 7 sch. 445
scholars. Pop. 2,608.
Halifax, p-v., capital of Halifax co., Va., 127 s. w. Richmond,
214 W. It is known by the name of Banister. Situated on the s.
side of Banister r., 10 miles below the head of navigation. It
contains a court house, jail, 2 churches, 1 Episcopal and 1
Methodist, a Masonic hall, 4 stores, various mechanic shops, 2
flouring m., 2 saw m., 2 cotton gins, 25 or 30 dwellings, and
250 or 300 inhabitants.
Halifax, p-v., port of entry, and capital of Halifax co., N. C,
80 n. e. Raleigh, 220 W. Pleasantly situated on the w. bank of
Roanoke r., 7 miles below the great falls, at the head of sloop
navigation. It is regularly laid out, and contains a court
house, jail, a bank, a church, and has considerable trade. By
means of a canal around the falls, the Roanoke is navigable for
boats, 130 miles above this place.
Halifax, p-v., Wilson County, Tenn., 24 e. Nashville, 660 W.
Halifax, p-v., Kemper co., Miss., 101 e. n. e. Jackson, 913 W.
Hall, County, Ga. Situated toward the n. e.
part of the state, and contains 525 sq. ms. The surface is
hilly; and the soil, in some places, excellent. Watered by
Sooque r., with its branches, which unite with Chestatee r., on
the w. border of the co., to form the Chattahoochee River.
Capital, Gainesville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,697,
sheep 4,199; swine 12,041; wheat 24,496 bushels prod., rye 868,
Ind. corn 224,395, barley 10, oats 39,446, potatoes 8,950,
tobacco 19,190 pounds, cotton 482,313; 16 stores, cap, $33,600;
4 tanneries, 7 distilleries, 3 flouring m.. 34 grist m., 7 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $35,994. 2acad. 40 students, 13 sch. 313
scholars. Pop. whites 6,773, slaves 1,099, free col'd 3; total,
Hallett's Cove, p-v., Queens co., N. Y. (See Astoria.)
Halloca, p-o., Muscogee co., Ga., 140 w. s. w. Milledgeville,
Hallowell, p-t., Kennebec co., Me., 2 s. Augusta, 593 W. The
village is pleasantly situated on the w. side of Kennebec r. The
principal streets run parallel with the river, and are crossed
by other streets, which ascend as they proceed back from the r.,
to the height of 200 feet. The principal business street runs
near the r., and contains a large number of fine brick stores
and warehouses. The houses are built with neatness and taste,
and have commanding situations. Vessels of 150 tons, and drawing
9 feet of water, come to its wharves. It has considerable
shipping, engaged chiefly in the coasting trade. Steamboats ply
between this place, and Portland, and Boston. Granite is found
in Hallowell, and extensively exported. It is of a light color,
and is easily wrought The t. extends on both sides of the river.
It has 4 tanneries. Cap. in manufac. $13,500. 1 acad. 36
students, 29 sch. 950 scholars. Pop. 4,654.
Hallowell Cross Roads, p-o., Kennebec co., Me., 4 w. by s.
Augusta, 598 W.
Hall's Stream, N. H., a small r., rises in the highlands which
form the n. e. boundary of the United States, and flows into
Connecticut river, forming its n. w. source. By the late treaty,
this stream constitutes a part of the boundary of the United
States, until it intersects the old line of 1784, marked as 45°
n. lat., but which is now ascertained to be a little north of 45
degrees. The old line, however, is fixed on as the permanent
Hallsborough, p-o., Chesterfield co., Va., 18
Hall's Corners, p-o., Seneca t., Ontario co., N. Y., 184 w.
Albany, 337 W.
Hall's Cross Roads, p-o., Harford co., Md., 59 n. Annapolis, 69
Hall's Mills, p-v., Rensselaerville t., Albany co., N. Y., 31
Albany, 364 W. Here are 1 church, 2 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw
m., and about 20 dwellings.
Hall's Store, p-o., Sussex co., Del., 66 s. Dover, 153 W.
Hall's Valley, p-o., Morgan co., O., 77 E. Columbus, 336 W.
Hallsville, p-o., Minden t., Montgomery co., N. Y, 58 w. N. w.
Albany, 389 W.
Hallsville, p-v., Duplin co., N. C, 97 s. e. Raleigh, 327 W.
Hallsville, p-o., Coleraine t., Ross co., O., 63 s. Columbus,
Hallsville, p-v., Chester dist., S. C, 52 n Columbia, 476 W.
Hallstown, p-v., Jefferson co., Va., 172 n. Richmond, 61 W.
Hambaugh's, p-o., Warren co., Va., 147 n. n. w. Richmond, 93 W.
Hamburg, p-v., Lyme t., New London co., Ct., 34 s. s. e.
Hartford, 338 W.
Hamburg, p-t., Erie co., N. Y., 300 w. Albany, 372 W. The
surface is undulating; soil, a fertile calcareous loam, adapted
to grain or grass. Drained by Smokes, Rush, and Cauquaga creeks,
flowing into Lake Erie, which bounds it on the w. It has 3
stores, cap. $35,000; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 16
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $19,100; 31 sch. 1,333 scholars. Pop.
Hamburg, p-v., Vernon t., Sussex co., N. J., 86 n. Trenton, 254
W. Situated near the e. bank of Wallkill r. It contains 1
church, belonging to the Presbyterians and Baptists, 4 stores, 2
grist m., 2 saw m., and about 20 dwellings.
Hamburg, p-v., Windsor t., Berks co., Pa., 68 e. n. e.
Harrisburg, 161 W. Situated near the Schuylkill Water Gap of
Blue mountain, and contains 1 church, common to Lutherans and
German Presbyterians, 5 stores, 1 grist m., 100 dwellings, and
about 700 inhabitants.
Hamburg, p-v., Edgefield dist., S. C, 79 s. w. Columbia, 574 W.
Situated on the e. side of Savannah r., opposite to Augusta,
Ga., with which it is connected by a bridge, 1,000 feet long.
The South Carolina railroad, 1351 miles long, connects this
place with Charleston, and cost $1,750,000. The v. is divided
into the upper and lower town. The latter, where most of the
business is done, is on the bank of the r. Back of the r. the
ground rises abruptly to the height of 60 or 70 feet, on the top
of which the upper town is built, having many commanding and
airy situations. It is regularly laid out, and contains a bank,
a printing office, many large stores and warehouses, 450
dwellings, and about 2,500 inhabitants.
Hamburg, p-v., Macon co., Ga., 88 s. w. Milledgeville, 744 W.
Situated 4 ms. w. of Flint r.
Hamburg, p-v., Perry co., Ala., 65 s. Tuscaloosa, 841 W.
Hamburg, p-v., Calhoun co., Ill., 95 s. w. Springfield, 865 W.
Situated on the E. side of Mississippi r. It has a good landing.
It contains 3 stores, cap. $9,000; 1 grist m. Cap. in manufac.
$30,500, 1 sch. 20 scholars. Pop. 214.
Hamburg, p-v., Hardin co., Tenn., 140 s. w. Nashville, 817 W.
Hamburg, p-t., Livingston co., Mich., 51 w. n. vv. Detroit, 544
W. It is a fertile t., and has 2 $8,000; 1 grist m., 1 saw m.
Cap. $2,000. 6 sch. 173 scholars. Pop 602.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!