Hamburg, IA to Hancock, County GA
Hamburg, p-v., Clarke co., la., 120 s. by e. Indianapolis, 605
Hamburg, p-o., Franklin co., Miss., 95 s. w. Jackson, 1,104 W.
Hamburg on the Lake, p-v., Hamburg t., Erie co., N. V., 300 w.
Albany, 379 W. Situated on the e. shore of Lake Erie, and
contains 1 church, 2 stores, 2 tanneries, and about 30
Hamden, pt.. Delaware co., N. Y., 89 w. s. w. Albany, 329 W. The
surface is broken and mountainous; soil, various. Drained by w.
branch of Delaware r. It has 5 stores, cap. $8,300; 1 woolen
fac, 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 10 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $21,350.
13 sch. 461 scholars. Pop. 1,469.
Hamden, p-t., New Haven co., Ct., 33 s. s. w. Hartford, 306 W.
Situated between two mountain ranges, terminating at East and
West Rock, near New Haven. Soil adopted to grazing. Drained by
Mill r., which affords water power. The v. of Whitneyville is
situated in the s. E. part of the t., and has some mills and
manufactories. The Farmington canal passes through the t. It has
3 stores, cap. $6,000; 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$47,300. 10 sch. 529
Hamersville, p-o., Clark t., Brown co., O., 115 s. s. w.
Columbus, 474 W. scholars. Pop. 1,797.
Hamilton, County, N. Y. Situated in the n. e.
part of the state, and contains 1,064 sq. miles. Erected in
1816, organized in 1838. The surface is elevated, and in part
hilly and mountainous, abounding with numerous small lakes and
ponds. Drained by Indian and Saeandaga rivers, branches of the
Hudson r., and Moose and Racket Rivers. The middle and n. parts
are a wilderness. Iron ore extensively exists. Capital, Lake
Pleasant. There were in 1840, neat cattle 2,056, sheep 3,263,
swine 1.034; wheat 3,021 bush, produced, Ind. corn 3,660,
buckwheat 2,843, oats 13,697, potatoes 45,264, sugar 35,156
pounds; 3 stores, cap. $9,500; 2 grist m., 22 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. S15,415. 13 sch. 579 scholars. Pop. 1,907.
Hamilton, County, O. Situated in the s. w.
corner of the state, and contains 400 sq. miles. The soil is
productive, and well adapted to grain and fruit. Watered by
Little and Big Miami, and Whitewater rivers, and Mill and Deer
creeks. The Ohio r. washes its s. border. Capital, Cincinnati.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 16,370, sheep 17,271, swine
51,833; wheat 213,815 bush, produced, rye 14,381, Ind. corn
1,356,889, buckwheat 2,086, barley 25,107, oats 290,670,
potatoes 120,355; 42 commercial and 36 com. houses, cap.
$5,200,000; 1,139 stores, cap. $12,961,590; 23 lumber yards,
cap. $161,300; 14 furnaces, 6 fulling m., 13 woolen fac, 1
cotton fac, 24 tanneries, 13 distilleries, 7 breweries, 1 powder
m., 1 pottery, 22 flouring m., 9 grist m., 30 saw m., 5 oil m.,
1 paper fac, 32 printing offices. Cap. in manufac. $7,792,312. 3
colleges, 112 students, 3 acad. 245 students, 122 sch. 6,544
scholars. Fop. 1830, 52,321; 1840, 80,145.
Hamilton, County, Tenn. Situated in the s. E.
part of the state, and contains 464 sq. ms. Tennessee r. runs
through the middle of the co. Watered by small branches of the
Tennessee r., the largest of which is Chickamauga creek.
Capital, Dallas. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,116, sheep
3,561, swine 23,393; wheat 11,699 bush, produced, rye 1,796,
Indian corn 282,295, oats 29,590, potatoes 7,378, cotton 13,755
pounds; 4 commission houses, cap. $1,700; 21 stores, cap.
$120,150; 2 tanneries, 6 distilleries, 1 flouring m., 16 grist
m., 22 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in
manufac. $32,450. 5 sch. 133 scholars. Pop. whites 7,498, slaves
584, free col'd 93; total, 8,175.
Hamilton, County, Flor. Situated in the n. part
of the ter. Withlacoochee r. runs on its w. border, and the
Little Suwannee r. on the s. The soil is good, and finely
watered. Drained by Allapahaw r., which passes through its
centre. Capital, Jasper. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,913,
swine 5,138; Ind. corn 20,798 bush, produced, potatoes 14,255,
rice 14,950, cotton 54,000 pounds; 4 stores, cap. $14,500; 6
grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,400. 1 sch. 12 scholars.
Pop. whites 1,034, slaves, 427, free col'd 3; total, 1,464.
Hamilton, county, la. Situated in the central
part of the state, and contains 400 sq. miles. The land along
the streams is well timbered. There are some prairies. Watered
by w. fork of White r. and its tributaries. Capital,
Noblesville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,923, sheep 6,924,
swine 28,930; wheat 40,662 bush, produced, rye 2,572, Indian
corn 410,569, buckwheat 1,370, oats 57,143, potatoes 31,255,
tobacco 12,747 pounds, sugar 139,353; 16 stores, capital
$66,820; 4 tanneries, 9 distilleries, 22 grist m., 30 saw m., 2
potteries, 2 printing offices. Cap. in manufac. $29,520. 10 sch.
314 scholars. Pop. 9,855.
Hamilton, County, Ill. Situated in the s. E.
part of the state, and contains 432 sq. ms. Organized in 1821.
The soil is indifferent, with considerable swamp in the n. part.
Watered by branches of Saline creek and Little Wabash r.
Capital, McLeansboro. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,717,
sheep 2,451, swine 10,671; wheat 10,675 bush, produced, Ind.
corn 122,095, oats 120,768, potatoes 5,056, tobacco 3,830
pounds, cotton 18,430; 12 stores, cap. $13,550; 2 tanneries, 10
distilleries, 1 pottery, 20 grist m., 4 saw m. 7 sch. 67
scholars. Pop. 3,945.
Hamilton, p-t., Essex co., Mass., 22 n. n. E. Boston, 462 W. The
surface is gently uneven; soil, fertile. Organized in 1793.
Watered by a branch of Ipswich r. It has 4 stores, cap. $2,000;
1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap.
in manufac $14,500. 4. sch. 160 scholars. Pop. 818.
Hamilton, p-t., Madison co., N. Y., 96 w. by n. Albany, 355 W.
The surface is uneven; soil, a fertile calcareous loam. Drained
by the head waters of Chenango r. The v. is situated on Chenango
r., and contains 3 churches, an academy, 20 stores, 1 flouring
m., 1 tannery, 400 dwellings, and about 1,500 inhabitants. The
Hamilton Literary and Theological Institution is located here,
and is under the direction of the Baptists. It was founded in
1820, has 4 professors, 27 students, has educated 124, and has
2,250 vols, in its library. It has 2 collegiate edifices. There
are in the t., 17 stores, cap. $43,575; 3 fulling m., 1 woolen
fac, 4 tanneries, 2 printing offices, 1 weekly newspaper, 4
grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $40,625. 1 acad. 187
students, 18 sch. 916 scholars. Pop. 3,738.
Hamilton, t., Atlantic co., N. J., 30 s. E. Woodbury. The
surface is level; soil, sandy, covered with pine forest. Drained
by Great Egg Harbor. It contains the v. of 3Iay's Landing. It
has 8 stores, cap. $14,400; 1 furnace, 1 forge, 2 grist m., 3
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $22,150. 6 sch. 462 scholars. Pop.
Hamilton, t., Adams co., Pa., 12 n. e. Gettysburg. The surface
is level; soil, red gravel and flint. Conewago cr. flows on its
w. aim v boundary. Watered by Beaver run. It has 2 stores, cap.
$6,000; 3 distilleries, 2 potteries, 1 flouring m., 2 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $17,700. 1 sch. 20 scholars. Pop. 1,069.
Hamilton, p-v., Loudon co., Va., 159 ms. n. Richmond, 40 W.
Hamilton, p-v., Martin co., N. C, 127 E. Raleigh, 251 W.
Hamilton, p-v., Fairfield t., capital of Butler co., O., 102 w.
s. w. Columbus, 490 W. Situated on the s. E. bank of the Great
Miami r., and contains 5 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal,
1 Methodist, 1 Associate Reformed, and 1 Roman Catholic, 1
female academy, 1 bank, 13 stores, 7 warehouses, 2 grist m., 1
saw m., 1 brewery, 1 cloth dressing and carding machine, 250
dwellings, and about 1,800 inhabitants. It is connected with
Rossville, on the opposite side of Miami r., by a bridge.
Hamilton, v., Blockley t., Philadelphia co., Pa., 1 m. w. from
the bridge over the Schuylkill r. It has several streets
crossing each other at right angles, and contains a church,
several stores, some pleasant country seats, and about 70
Hamilton, t., Franklin co., O. Situated on the e. side of Scioto
r. The Columbus lateral canal passes through it. It has 2
schools, and 40 scholars. Pop. 1,116.
Hamilton, t., Jackson co., O., 8 Jackson C. H. It has 1 furnace,
1 sch. 20 scholars. Pop. 415.
Hamilton, t, Warren co., O. It has 7 sch. 809 scholars. Pop.
Hamilton, p-t., Van Buren co., Mich. Pop. 145.
Hamilton, p-v., Hamilton co., Ill.
Hamilton, p-v., capital, Harris co., Ga., 126 w. s. w.
Milledgeville. Situated on the western extremity of Oak mt., and
contains a court house, jail, 1 Baptist and 1 Methodist church,
2 academies, 5 stores, and 35 dwellings.
Hamilton, p-v., Autauga co., Ala., 92 s. e. Tuscaloosa, 847 W.
Hamilton, p-v., Monroe co., Miss., 156 n. e. Jackson, 897 W.
Situated 11 ms. e. of the Tombighee r.
Hamilton, t., McKean co., Pa. It has 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$2,000. Pop. 52.
Hamilton, t., Franklin co., Pa. The surface is hilly; soil,
calcareous loam, and slaty. Drained by the main branch of
Conecocheague cr., and Back cr. its tributary. It has 1 store,
cap. $2,000; 1 distillery, 1 flouring m., 1 grist m., 2 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $6,000. 7 sch. 210 scholars. Pop. 1,719.
Hamilton, t., Monroe co., Pa. The surface is partly hilly or
mountainous, and partly level; soil, gravel. Drained by
McMichaels, Pokons, and Cherry creeks, which flow E. to the
Delaware. It has 3 stores, cap. $10,500; 1 tannery, 5 grist m.,
11 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,100. Pop. 1,503.
Hamilton Ban, t., Adams co., Pa. The surface is level; soil,
calcareous loam and red gravel. The s. branch of Marsh cr. flows
on its n. boundary, and the main stream of that cr. on the e.
Watered by Middle cr., Muddy run, and Toms cr. Copper and iron
ore are found, and some sulphur springs. It has 6 stores, cap.
$2,500; 2 furnaces, 6 tanneries, 1 flouring m., 8 saw m., 13
sch. 594 scholars. Pop. 1,460.
Hamiltonville, or Newtown Hamilton, p-v., Wayne t., Mifflin co.,
Pa. Situated on the w. bank of Juniata r., and on the line of
the Pennsylvania canal. In 1828, it contained but 4 huts. It now
has several stores, and about 40 dwellings.
Hamlins Grant, t., Oxford co., Me. It has 1 sch. 42 scholars.
Hamlinton, p-o., Wayne co., Pa., 151 n. e. Harrisburg, 245 W.
Hammock's Grove, p-o., Crawford co., Ga., 62 s. w.
Milledgeville, 718 W.
Hammond, p-t., St. Lawrence co., N. Y., 189 n. n. w. Albany, 456
W. The surface is level; soil, a fertile sand and clay, adapted
to grain or grass. The St. Lawrence r. bounds it on the w., and
Black lake on the E. The v. contains 1 Presbyterian and 1
Methodist church, 2 stores, 25 dwellings, and about 150
inhabitants. There are in the t., 3 stores, cap. $15,000; 3
fulling m., 1 tannery, 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,600. 10 sch.
388 scholars. Pop. 1,845.
Hammondsport, p-v.. Urbanna t., Steuben co., N. Y. Situated at
the s. end of Crooked Lake. It contains 1 Presbyterian and 1
Episcopal church, 12 stores, 3 warehouses, 1 flouring m., 1 saw
m., 1 tannery, 100 dwellings, and 700 inhabitants. A passage
boat plies daily 22 ms. to Penn Yan, and it communicates 8 ms.
with Seneca lake, by Crooked Lake canal.
Hammond's Mills, p-o., Windham co., Vt., 113 s. Montpelier, 440
Hammond's Mills, p-o., Campbell t., Steuben co., N. Y, 214 w. s.
w. Albany, 285 W.
Hammond's Store, p-o., Anson co., N. C, 151 s. w. Raleigh, 430
Hammonton, p-o., Atlantic co., N. J., 60 s Trenton, 170 W.
Hamorton, p-o., Chester co., Pa., 78 e. s. e. Harrisburg, 109 W.
Hampden, County, Mass. Situated in the s.
toward the w. part of the state, and contains 585 sq. ms.
Organized in 1812. Watered by Connecticut r., which runs from n.
to s. through the middle of the co., and Westfield and Chickopee
rivers its branches, which afford extensive water power.
Quinebaug r. rises in Brimfield, in the s. e. part of the co.
The surface is various, and the soil fertile. The Hampshire and
Hampden canal, a continuation of the Farmington canal, passes
through the co. Small steamboats run on the Connecticut r. to
Springfield. Capital, Springfield. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 20,481, sheep 29,176, swine 8,848; wheat 9,852 bush,
produced, rye 95,633, Ind. corn 134,461, buckwheat 21,376, oats
126,763, potatoes 334,764, sugar 59,391 pounds; 144 stores, cap.
$402,600; 2 lumber yards, cap. $6,000; 7 fulling m., 5 woolen
fac, 17 cotton fac. 86,998 sp., 21 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 2
breweries, 6 powder m., 25 grist m., 62 saw m., 7 paper fac, 8
printing offices, 2 binderies, 5 weekly newspapers. Cap. in
manufac. $3,369,515. 7 acad. 710 students, 203 sch. 6,586
scholars. Pop. 37,366.
Hampden, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., 62 e. n. e. Augusta, 657 W.
Situated on the w. side of the Penobscot r., 6 ms. s. Bangor.
Watered by Sowadabscook r., which affords extensive water power.
The soil is fertile. It exports lumber and agricultural
productions. It has 15 stores, cap. $T5,700; 1 fulling m., 1
tannery, 1 paper fac, 2 flouring m., 2 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $50,950. 1 acad. 98 students, 15 sch. 1,219
scholars. Pop. 2,663.
Hampden, p-t., Geauga co., O., 175 n. e. Columbus, 338 W. It has
1 tannery, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $450. 9 sch.
326 scholars. Pop. 840.
Hampshire, County, Mass. Situated centrally
toward the w. part of the state, and contains 532 sq. ms.
Connecticut r. runs through the middle of it, from n. to s., by
which, and small tributaries, which afford water power, it is
watered. The surface and soil are various, but on Connecticut r.
it is exceedingly fertile. The old county of Hampshire, which
included Franklin and Hampden counties, was organized in 1662.
Capital, Northampton. There were in 1840, neat cattle 22,533,
sheep 60,935, swine 8,955; wheat 15,974 bush, produced, rye
66,542, Ind. corn 175,271, buckwheat 14,852, barley 2,211, oats
97,449, potatoes 355,733, sugar 141,316 pounds; 123 stores, cap.
$326,750; 2 furnaces, 19 fulling m., 17 woolen fac, 5 cotton
fac. 1,400 sp., 25 tanneries, 1 flouring m., 40 grist m., 122
saw m., 6 paper fac, 5 printing offices, 3 binderies, 3 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $963,285. 1 college, 169 students,
11 acad. 5S9 students, 204 sch. 8,909 scholars. Pop. 30,897.
Hampshire, County, Va. Situated in the n. part
of the state, and contains 960 sq. ms. The N. branch of the
Potomac r. runs on its n. border. Watered by the s. branch of
the Potomac, and several tributaries of the Potomac. Several
mountain ridges pass through it; the soil in the valleys between
them is very fertile. Capital, Romney. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 14,937, sheep 27,446, swine 17,781; wheat 178,714 bush,
produced, rye 52,148, Ind. corn 470,797, buckwheat 26,167, oats
173,953, potatoes 71,397; 25 stores, cap. $158,100; 1 forge, 3
fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 11 tanneries, 3 distilleries, 16
flouring m., 32 grist m., 62 saw m., 2 oil m., 1 printing
office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac $63,320. 2 acad. 55
students, 25 sch. 522 scholars. Pop. whites 10,703, slaves
1,403, free col'd 189; total, 12,295.
Hampshire, p-o., Maury co., Tenn.
Hampshire, p-o., Kane co., Ill., 215 n. n. e. Springfield, 767
Hampstead, p-t., Rockingham co., N. H., 29 s. s. E. Concord, 462
W. Chartered in 1749. Watered by branches of Merrimac r., which
flow from ponds in the t. The soil of the t. is hard and
fertile. It has 4 stores, cap. $6,100; 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $9,450. 7 sch. 234 scholars. Pop. 890.
Hampstead, p-v., Carroll co., Md., 56 n. w. Annapolis, 66 W.
Hampstead, p-v., King George co., Va., 89 n. n. E. Richmond, 85
Hampton, p-t., Rockingham co., N. H., 47 s. e. Concord, 484 W.
It lies on the Atlantic, which washes its s. E. border. Along
its shore is a fine beach, in one part of which is a singular
bluff, denominated the Boar's Head. It has a good harbor, and a
number of vessels employed in the coasting trade and the
fisheries. It was incorporated in 1636. There are in the t., 6
stores, cap. $7,900; 3 tanneries, 4 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 acad.
47 students, 5 sch. 249 scholars. Pop. 1,320.
Hampton, p-t., Windham co., Ct., 41 e. Hartford, 36S W. The
surface is uneven and the soil a fertile gravelly loam. Watered
by a branch of Shetucket r., which affords water power. The v.
is pleasantly situated on elevated ground, on a single street,
half a mile long, and contains a Congregational church and about
40 dwellings. There are in the t., 6 stores, cap. $21,700; 1
fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac. 900 sp., 2 tanneries, 3
grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $43,900. 9 sch. 365
scholars. Pop. 1,166.
Hampton, p-t., Washington co., N. Y., 26 n. Salem, 73 n. by e.
Albany. The surface is hilly, with fertile valleys. Drained by
Poultney r, which separates it from the state of Vermont. It has
1 store, cap. $3,000: 2 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 1 tannery.
Cap. in manufac. $8,740. 5 sch. 230 scholars. Pop. 972.
Hampton, v., Westmoreland t., Oneida co., N. Y. Situated on a
branch of Oriskany cr. It contains 2 churches, 1 Presbyterian
and 1 Methodist, 4 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 saw m., 60
dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants. A little n. of the v. is a
Hampton, p-v., Reading t., Adams co., Pa., 29 s. w. Harrisburg,
86 W. It contains 2 stores, 35 dwellings, and about 200
Hampton, p-v., capital of Elizabeth City co., Va., 94 e. s. e.
Richmond, 209 W. Situated on the w. side of Hampton r., about a
mile from its entrance into Hampton roads. It contains a court
house, jail, 4 churches, 2 Methodist, 1 Baptist, and 1
Episcopal, 16 stores, 2 castor oil fac, 150 dwellings, and about
Hampton, p-v., Rock Island co., Ill., 150 n. n. w. Springfield,
880 W: Pop. 64.
Hampton Roads, Va., a branch of Chesapeake bay, off the mouth of
James r., between Old Point Comfort on the n., and Willoughby
point on the s. It is sufficiently deep for the largest ships of
war, and is an important naval station. On Old Point Comfort,
there have been ceded to the United States 250 acres; and on the
point a fortification, called Fort Monroe, is in progress, which
will mount 335 guns, generally 24, 32, and 48 pounders, 130 of
which are under bomb proof covers. On the opposite point, 1 m.
distant, Fort Calhoun is erecting. The foundation is made by
throwing in stones, and it covers about 7 acres. It was found
necessary to wait for this foundation to settle, and the
superstructure has barely been commenced. This fort is designed
to mount, 265 guns, 24's and 32's, and nearly all under cover.
These forts will completely command the entrance to Hampton
Hamptonburg, p-t., Orange co., N. Y., 4 n. E. Goshen, 99 s. s.
w. Albany, 282 W. The surface is undulating; soil, a fertile
clay loam. Drained by Murderer's cr. e., and Wallkill creek,
which bounds it. on the w. It has 5 sch. 248 scholars. Pop.
Hampton Falls, p-t., Rockingham co., N. H., 16 s. w. Portsmouth,
45 s. e. Concord, 482 W. Incorporated in 1712. The situation is
pleasant, having the Atlantic on its s. E. border. The soil is
moderately fertile. It has 2 stores, cap. $1,500; 1 grist m., 1
acad. 40 students, 3 sch. 150 scholars. Pop. 656.
Hamptonville, p-v., Surry co., N. C, 146 w, n. w. Raleigh, 357
Hamtramck, t., Wayne co., Mich. It has 1 tannery, 3 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $19,200. 1 college, 30 students, 3 sch. 95 scholars.
Hancock, County, Me. Situated in the s., toward
the e. part of the state, and contains 1,850 sq. ms. Bordered by
the Atlantic on the s., along the coast of which are scattered
numerous islands, some of them large, and many bays, and it has
a great number of excellent harbors. The soil is generally
fertile. Watered by Union r., which, with other streams, affords
excellent water power. Capital, Castine. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 17,950, sheep 32,758, swine 6,716; wheat 27,627
bush, produced, rye 2,836, Ind. corn 5,749, barley 18,181, oats
20,660, potatoes 496,430, sugar 1,010 pounds; 5 commercial
houses in for trade, cap. $85,000: 120 stores, cap. $228,500;
cap. invested in fisheries, $49,470: 10 fulling m., 4 woolen
fac, 21 tanneries, 2 flouring m., 41 grist m., 77 saw m., 8 oil
m. Cap. in manufac $178,111. 5 acad. 179 students, 252 sch.
10,946 scholars. Pop. 28,605.
Hancock, County, Ga. Situated a little n. E. of
the centre of the state, and contains 600 sq. ms. The Oconee r.
runs on its w. border, and I Great Ogeechee r. on its e. border.
Watered by branches of these rivers. Capital, Sparta. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 10,721, sheep 7,360, swine 26,929; wheat
34,455 bush, produced, Ind. corn 447,820, oats 24,871, potatoes
24,304, cotton 13,313,924 pounds; 5 stores, cap. $44,000; 1
tannery, 3 distilleries, 1 flouring m., 1 grist m. Cap. in
manufac. $19,000. Pop. whites 3,697, slaves 5,915, free col'd
47; total, 9,659.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!