Hancock County, MS to Hardwich, VT
Hancock, County, Miss. Situated in the s. e.
part of the state, and contains 1,680 sq. miles. Bounded on the
s. by Lake Borgne, a branch of the Gulf of Mexico. The surface
is rolling, toward the N., more level to the s. The soil is
light and sterile, chiefly covered with pine. Pearl r. runs on
its W. border. Capital, Shieldsboro'. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 17,097, sheep 783, swine 10,764; Ind. corn 24,052 bush,
produced, potatoes 27,683, rice 46,000 pounds, cotton 134,700;
24 stores, cap. $58,100; 1 tannery, 9 grist m., 10 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $111,000. 2 acad. 40 students, 3 sch. 47 scholars.
Pop. whites 2,237, slaves 1,056, free col'd 74; total, 3,367.
Hancock, County, Ky. Situated in the n. part of
the state, and contains 200 sq. ms. The Ohio r. runs on its n.
boundary, and rough cr., a branch of Green r. on its s. border.
Blackford's r. forms a part of its w. boundary. The surface is
hilly. Stone coal is mined in large quantities, and iron ore is
found. Capital, Hawesville. There were in 1840, neat cattle
3,017, sheep 3,390, swine 10,321; wheat 10,274 bush, produced,
Ind. corn 134,400, oats 19,800, potatoes 3,884, tobacco 270,497
pounds, sugar 2,479; 9 stores, capital $37,094; 3 tanneries, 1
distillery, 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,900. Pop.
whites 2,039, slaves 539, free col'd 3; total, 2,581.
Hancock, County, O. Situated toward the n. w.
part of the state, and contains 576 sq. ms. The soil is fertile
and well watered. Drained by Blanchard's Fork and its
tributaries, which flow into Maumee r., and by tributaries of
Portage r., which flows into Lake Erie. Capital, Findlay. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 7,826, sheep 8,268, swine 87,081;
wheat 41,876 bush, produced, rye 16,525, Ind. corn 173,660,
buckwheat 8,889, oats 85,150, potatoes 17,911, sugar 142,950
pounds; 14 stores, cap. $33,150; 4 tanneries, 11 grist m., 12
saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac.
$27,812. 81 sch. 3,189 scholars. Pop. 9,936.
Hancock, County, la. Situated a little e. of
the centre of the state, and contains 310 sq. ms. Organized in
1828. Drained by Blue r., Sugar cr., and Brandywine cr., which
afford good water power. The surface is level, or gently
rolling; soil, fertile and heavily timbered. Capital,
Greenfield. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,745, sheep 5,789,
swine 28,306; wheat 28,531 bush, produced, rye 2,130, Ind. corn
286,095, oats 66,392, potatoes 11,090, tobacco 10,034 pounds,
sugar 39,080; 15 stores, cap. $51,075; 2 tanneries, 1
distillery, 9 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $28,850. 7
sch. 156 scholars. Population, 7,535.
Hancock, County, Ill. Situated in the w. part
of the state, and contains 775 sq. ms. The Mississippi r. runs
on its w. boundary. Watered by Crooked cr., with its branches, a
tributary of Illinois r. and by the n. fork of Bear cr., which
flow s into the Mississippi r. Organized in 1825. The soil
bordering the Mississippi is fertile. Capital, Carthage. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 7,827, sheep 6,334, swine 17,092;
wheat 49,860 bushels produced, Ind. corn 259,820, buckwheat
1,812, oats 53,576, potatoes 23,934, tobacco 1,910 pounds, sugar
1,316; 23 stores, cap. $56,000; 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1
flouring m., 7 grist m., 12 saw m., 1 oil m., 2 printing
offices, 1 periodical, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac.
$43,070. 24 sch. 819 scholars. Pop. 9,946.
Hancock, p-t., Hancock co., Me., 95 e. Augusta, 677 W. The s. e.
part is a peninsula, nearly surrounded by branches of
Frenchman's bay. It contains 1 saw m., 7 sch. 296 scholars. Pop.
Hancock, p-t., Hillsboro' co., N. H., 34 s. w. Concord, 454 W.
The surface is uneven or mountainous. The soil is fertile,
adapted to grazing, with some intervals on its streams. Watered
by Contoocook r. and its tributaries, affording water power.
Long Pond, a considerable body of water, lies partly in the w.
part. It contains 4 stores, cap. $22,500; 2 fulling m., 1 cotton
fac. 448 sp., 3 tanneries, 1 paper fac, 1 flouring m., 3 grist
m., 3 saw. Cap. in manufac. $38,217. 2 acad. 176 students, 11
sch. 439 scholars. Pop. 1,345.
Hancock, p-t., Addison co., Vt., 39 s. s. w. Montpelier, 486 W.
Situated on the Green mountain range, and suited only to
grazing. Chartered in 1780. It is on the dividing ridge between
Lake Champlain and Connecticut r., some of its streams flowing
into Otter cr., and others into White r. It has 2 stores, cap.
$7,000; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $3,800. 5 sch. 200 scholars. Pop. 465.
Hancock, p-t., Berkshire co., Mass., 143 w. Boston, 379 W.
Incorporated in 1776. The state of N. Y. bounds it on the w.
Drained by head branches of Kinderkook cr. and Housatonic r. The
surface is mountainous, and the soil adapted to grazing. It has
1 cotton fac. 920 sp., 3 tanneries, 2 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$16,400. 1 sch. 190 scholars. Pop. 922.
Hancock, p-t., Delaware co., N. Y., 123 w. s. w. Albany, 291 W.
The surface is broken and mountainous. Delaware r. runs on its
s. w. border. Watered by Papacton branch and its tributaries. It
has 1 store, cap. $5,000; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $13,455. 8 sch. 240 scholars. Pop. 1,026.
Hancock, p-t., Washington co., Md., 125 n. w. Annapolis, 92 W.
Situated on the n. bank of Potomac r. It contains 2 churches, 4
stores, and about 30 or 40 dwellings.
Hancock Bridge, p-v., Lower Alloways t., Salem co., N. J., 85 s.
w. Trenton, 180 W. It contains 1 Friends church, 2 stores, and
about 40 dwellings. The surrounding country is fertile.
Hancock Factory, p-v., Hancock t., Hillsboro' co., N. H., 30 s.
w. Concord, 458 W. It contains a cotton fac, a paper fac, and
several other manufacturing establishments, and an academy.
Hancockville, p-v., Union dist., S. C, 85 n. w. Columbia, 453 W.
Handy, t., Livingston co., Mich. It has 2 sch. 30 scholars. Pop.
Hanford's Landing, p-o., Greece t., Monroe co., N. Y., 223 w. n.
w. Albany, 373 W.
Hanging Rock, p-v., Hampshire co., Va., 175 n. n. w. Richmond,
103 W. It contains 1 Methodist church, and 1 free to all
denominations, 1 flouring m., 1 grist m. There are in the
neighborhood 2 grist m., 1 oil m., and 1 carding machine.
Hanging Rock, p-o., Upper t., Lawrence co., O., 118 s. s. e.
Columbus, 426 W.
Hanna's, p-o., Sumner co., Tenn., 36 n. e. Nashville, 677 W.
Hannahsburg, p-v., Butler co., Pa., 207 w. n. w. Harrisburg, 238
W. It contains 1 store and 12 or 15 dwellings.
Hannibal, p-t., Oswego co., N. Y., 176 w. n. w. Albany, 362 W.
The surface is undulating; soil, a fertile loam. Drained by
small creeks, flowing into Lake Ontario. It has 9 stores, cap.
$40,700; 2 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $42,000. 15 sch. 743 scholars. Pop. 2,269.
Hannibalville, v., Hannibal t., Oswego co., N. Y. It contains 2
churches, 3 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., and about 30
Hannibal, p-v., Marion co., Mo., 108 n. n. e. Jefferson city,
912 W. Situated on the w. bank of the Mississippi r. It has 10
stores, 4 commission and forwarding houses, 2 steam saw m., 1
steam flouring m., and 600 inhabitants.
Hanover, County, Va. Situated toward the E.
part of the state, and contains 630 sq. ms. North Anna r. runs
on its n. e. border. Watered by its tributaries. The surface is
hilly, and the soil various, from the most fertile to the most
sterile. Capital, Hanover. There were in 1840, neat cattle
8,388, sheep 9,051, swine 13,703; wheat 47,905 bush, produced,
rye 1,013, Ind. corn 349,750, oats 177,347, potatoes 26,332,
tobacco 615, 156 pounds, cotton 22,549; 17 stores, cap. $20,300;
1 tannery, 2 flouring m., 19 grist m., 16 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $35,965. 23 acad. 417 students. Pop. whites 6,262,
slaves 8,394, free col'd 312; total, 14,968.
Hanover, p-t., Grafton co., N. H., 54 n. w. Concord, 488 W.
Situated on Connecticut r., over which is a bridge, connecting
it with Norwich, Vt. The surface is pleasantly diversified, and
the soil is fertile. Moose Mountain, an elevated ridge, crosses
the E. part of the t. from N. to s. The v. is pleasantly
situated on a plain, half a mile e. of the r., and has a
considerable number of neat buildings, mostly ranged round a
square of about 12 acres. It contains a Congregational church,
several stores, and the buildings of Dartmouth College, an old
and highly respectable institution. It was founded in 1770, and
contains, including the Medical Institution, a president, 15
professors or other instructors, has had 2,052 alumni, has 310
students, and 16,500 vols, in its libraries. The commencement is
on the last Thursday in July. The medical institution was
instituted in 1797, when there were but 3 others existing in the
U. States, has 6 professors, 72 students, and has had 577
graduates. The annual course of lectures commences on the 1st or
2d Thursday in August. There are 3 buildings of the institution;
the centre or principal one of wood, 150 by 50 feet, for
undergraduates; a medical building, 75 by 31 feet, N, of it; and
a chapel, &c, a corresponding building, s. There are in the t.
10 stores, cap. $30,200; 1 tannery, 1 fulling m., 2 grist m., 8
saw m., 2 printing offices, 1 weekly newspaper, 1 periodical.
Cap. in manufac. $28,850. 1 college, 404 students, 16 sch. 512
scholars. Pop. 2,613.
Hanover, p-t., Plymouth co., Mass., 24 s. s. w. Boston, 443 W.
Pembroke cr. runs on its s. border, and affords water power; and
another branch unites with it on the e. border of the t., to
form North river. It has 7 stores, cap. $9,900; 1 furnace, 3
forges, 2 tanneries, 6 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$22,925. 1 acad. 25 students, 8 sch. 379 scholars. Pop. 1,483.
Hanover, p-t., Chautauque co., N. Y., 315 w. by s. Albany, 353
W. Situated on Lake Erie. The surface is elevated and hilly, and
the soil, on the lake shore and on the streams, very fertile.
Watered by Silver creek. It has 18 stores, cap. $100,000; 2
lumber yards, cap. $3,000; 3 fulling m., 7 tanneries, 3
distilleries, 7 grist m., 19 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $110,215. 3
acad. 83 students, 19 sch. 1,140 scholars. Population, 3,998.
Hanover, p-t., Morris co., N. J., 5 n. Morristown, 57 n. n. e.
Trenton, 227 W. The surface is hilly on the n. w., level e. and
s. soil, clay, loam, and gravel. Watered by Whippany and
Parsipany rivers, branches of Rockaway r., which runs on its n.
boundary. The soil is moderately good, and well cultivated. The
v. is situated on a plain, near the Passaic r., and contains 12
or 15 dwellings. There are in the t. 12 stores, cap. $30,100; 1
woolen fac, 3 cotton fac. 2,600 sp., 10 forges, 3 tanneries, 4
distilleries, 2 paper fac, 1 printing office, 5 grist m., 6 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $140,940. 13 sch. 597 scholars. Pop. 3,909.
Hanover, t., Burlington co., N. J., 12 n. e. Mount Holly. The
surface is level; soil, sandy loam and sand; in the s. E. part
covered with pine forest. Drained by Crosswick's, Black's, and a
branch of Rancocus creeks. It has 11 stores, cap. $3,500; 1
furnace, 1 forge, 5 distilleries, 4 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $74,600. 9 sch. 474 scholars. Pop. 3,045.
Hanover, p-b., Heidelberg t., York co., Pa., 35 s. Harrisburg,
82 W. Incorporated in 1814. Situated on a branch of Conewago
cr., which runs into the Susquehanna r. It contains 3 churches,
1 German Reformed, 1 Lutheran, 1 Methodist, 1 academy; 15
stores, cap. $34,500; 2 tanneries, 1 brewery, 2 printing
offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $22,300. 2 sch.
220 scholars. Pop. 1,071.
Hanover, t., Dauphin co., Pa., 15 s. e. Harrisburg. The surface
is undulating; soil, argillaceous slate and sandstone. Beaver
cr. runs on its w. boundary. Watered by Manady cr. and Bow run,
which flow s. to the Swatara cr. It has 6 stores, cap. $15,50.);
1 furnace, 2 fulling in., 3 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 1
flouring m., 5 grist m., 10 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $16,060. 3
sch. 67 scholars. Pop. 2,772.
Hanover, t., Lehigh co., Pa. The surface is level; soil,
calcareous loam, and fertile. The Lehigh r. flows on its s.
border. Watered by Calesoque cr., a branch of the Lehigh.
Connected with Allentown by a chain bridge across the Lehigh. It
contains a Lutheran church. It has 5 stores, 2 woolen fac, 1
paper fac, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap, in manufac. $16,550. 1 sch.
30 scholars. Pop. 1,341.
Hanover, t., Northampton co , Pa. The surface is level; soil,
calcareous loam. Drained by Manokissy cr., which runs along its
s. e. boundary. It has 1 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $3,000. Pop.
Hanover, t., Beaver co., Pa. The surface is rolling; soil,
calcareous loam. Drained by Big and Little Traviss creeks,
tributaries of Racoon cr. It contains Frankford v. near its s.
border. It contains 3 stores, cap. $9,000; 2 tanneries, 7 grist
m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $17,350. 1 acad. 23 students, 4
sch. 133 scholars. Pop. 1,662.
Hanover, p-t., Washington co., Pa., 22 n. w. Washington b. The
surface is hilly; soil, loam. Drained by Herman's and Indian
creeks, flowing into Ohio r. Coal is abundant. It has 7 stores,
cap. $16,000; 1 tannery, 1 flouring m., 5 grist m., 5 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $22,650. 1 acad. 15 students, 8 sch. 500
scholars. Pop. 2,002.
Hanover, t., Luzerne co., Pa. Bounded N. w. by Susquehanna r.
The surface is mountainous, with the fertile valley of Wyoming
in a part of it. Anthracite coal is abundant. Watered by
Nanticoke and Solomon's creeks, which afford water power. It has
6 stores, cap. $27,300; 1 tannery, 2 distilleries, 1 powder fac,
3 flouring m., 3 saw in. Cap. in manufac. $6,800. 6 sch. 270
scholars. Pop. 1,933.
Hanover, p-t., Licking co., O., 48 n. e. Columbus, 357 W.
Licking r. and the Ohio canal pass through the t., from e. to w.
It has 2 sch. 75 scholars. Pop. 943.
Hanover, t., Butler co., O., a wealthy t., 8 ms. from the court
house, in Hamilton. It has 7 sch. 500 scholars. Pop. 1,630.
Hanover, t., Columbiana co., O., 10 e. New Lisbon, on the line
of the Sandy and Beaver canal. Has 8 sch. 125 scholars. Pop.
Hanover, t., Richland co., O. Watered by two main branches of
Mohiccan r., which unite near the centre of the t. It has 168
scholars in schools. Pop. 1,485.
Hanover, v., North t., Harrison co., O., 8 n. W. Cadiz. It
contains 1 store, 25 dwellings, and about 151 inhabitants.
Hanover, t., Shelby co., Ia. It has 5 stores, cap. $9,300; 1
fulling m., 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$1,250. Pop. 1,438.
Hanover, p-t., Jackson co., Mich., 89 w. Detroit, 549 W. It has
3 sch. 105 scholars. Pop. 714.
Hanover, p-o., Jo Daviess co., Ill., 114 n. by w. Springfield,
Hanover Centre, p-v., Hanover t., Grafton co., N. H., 60 n. w.
Concord, 494 W.
Hanover, C. H., p-o., capital of Hanover co., Va., 20 n.
Richmond, 103 W. Situated on elevated ground, near Pamunky r.,
and contains a court house, jail, a store, and about 60
Hanover Neck, p-o., Hanover t., Morris co., N. J., 53 n. n. E.
Trenton, 224 W.
Hanoverton, p-v., Hanover t., Columbiana co., O., 149 n. e.
Columbus, 291 W, It contains 12 stores, 1 warehouse, 2 water m.,
1 steam m., 2 tanneries, 80 dwellings, and about 500
Hansley's Cross Roads, p-o., Perry co., O., 61 e. Columbus, 342
Hanson, p-t., Plymouth co., Mass., 23 s. s. e. Boston, 438 W.
Watered by a branch of North r. Large beds of iron ore are
found. It has 4 stores, cap. $4,250; 1 forge, 1 tannery, 1 grist
m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $13,805. 8 sch. 259 scholars. Pop.
Hansonville, p-o., Russell co., Va., 318 w. by s. Richmond, 386
Harbor Creek, p t., Erie co., Pa., 6 n. e. Erie, 279 n. w.
Harrisburg, 352 W. Drained by several small streams, flowing
into Lake Erie, which bounds it on the n. It has 2 fulling m., 1
tannery, 1 distillery, 3 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$1,500. 15 sch. 435 scholars. Pop. 1,843.
Hardeman, County, Tenn. Situated in the s. E.
part of the state, and contains 720 sq. ms. Surface generally
level; soil, light and sandy. Watered by Big Hatchy r. and its
branches. Capital, Bolivar. There were in 1840, neat cattle
17,001, sheep 10,292, swine 59,357; wheat 58,713 bush, produced,
rye 9,165, Ind. corn 644,564 oats 149,535, potatoes 40,917,
tobacco 19,417 pounds, cotton 3,570,417; 29 stores, cap.
$238,452; 1 cotton fac. 630 sp., 9 tanneries, 16 distilleries, 8
flouring m., 22 grist m., 18 saw m., I printing office, 1 weekly
newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $63,970. 4 acad. 185 students, 23
sch. 506 scholars. Pop. whites 9,091, slaves 5,433, free col'd
39; total, 14,563.
Hardeman's Cross Roads, p-o., Williamson co., Tenn., 24 s.
Nashville, 636 W.
Hardin, County, Tenn. Situated in the s. w.
part of the state, and contains 768 sq. ms. Tennessee r. flows
through the co., from s. to n. Watered also by small streams,
which flow into the Tennessee r., the principal of which are
Swift cr. and Whiteoak r. Capital, Savannah. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 11,537, sheep 7,562, swine 42,500; wheat 31,231
bush, produced, rye 1,465, Ind. corn 512,373, oats 53,529,
potatoes 14,377, tobacco 52,564 pounds; cotton 33,819, 7 com.
houses, cap. $9,830; 14 stores, cap. $42,355; 1 furnace, 7
tanneries, 24 distilleries, 29 grist m., 10 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $34,959, 1 acad. 15 students, 8 sch. 176 scholars. Pop.
whites 7,337, slaves 826, free col'd 32; total, 8,245.
Hardin, County, Ky. Situated in the n. part of
the state, and contains 1,200 sq. ms. The Rolling Fork of Salt
r. runs on its n. e. boundary. Watered by branches of Green r.
Capital, Elizabethtown. There were in 1840, neat cattle 18,809,
sheep 23,696, swine 36,309; wheat 120,894 bush, produced, rye
7,510, Ind. corn 706,349, oats 205,894, potatoes 22,746, tobacco
322,433 pounds, sugar 1,625; 31 stores, cap. $60,850; 9
tanneries, 10 distilleries, 2 flouring m., 17 grist m., 15 saw
m., 1 oil m., 1 printing office. Cap. in manufac. $38,000. 8
sch. 185 scholars. Pop. whites 13,329, slaves 2,432, free col'd
46; total, 16,357.
Hardin, County, O. Situated n. w. of the centre
of the state, and contains 480 sq. ms. The Scioto r. runs
through the co. Watered also by head branches of Blanchards, Hoy
and Tymochtee creeks. It has much valuable land on the streams.
Capital, Kenton. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,966, sheep
3,327, swine 10,416; wheat 30,173 bush, produced, rye 1,459,
Ind. corn 99,147, buckwheat 1,621, oats 23,897, potatoes 22,233,
sugar 85,557 pounds; 4 stores, cap. $14,500; 3 tanneries, 1
grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,900. 18 sch. 552
scholars. Pop. 4,593.
Hardin, County, Ill. Situated on the s. border
of the state, and contains 100 sq. ms. The surface is high and
broken, and abounds in iron and lead ores. Watered by Big cr.,
which enters the Ohio, and affords water power. There were in
1840, neat cattle 1,774, sheep 1,554, swine 3,978; wheat 3,533
bush, produced, Ind. corn 62,066, oats 10,555, potatoes 8,975,
tobacco 7,500 pounds; 4 stores, cap. $11,665; 1 furnace, 1
flouring m., 3 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,150. 3
sch. 83 scholars. Pop. 1,373.
Hardin, p-v., Turtle Creek t., Shelby co., O., 85 w. n. vv.
Columbus, 479 W.
Hardinsburg, p-v., capital of Breckenridge co., Ky., 115 w. s.
w. Frankfort, 657 W. Situated half a m. e. of Hardin's cr., 10
ms. from Ohio r. It contains a court house, jail, 2 churches, 1
Baptist, 1 Methodist, 1 seminary, and 634 inhabitants.
Hardinsburg, p-v., Washington co., Ia., 106 s. Indianapolis, 630
Hardingsburg, v., Dearborn co., Ia. Situated on the w. side of
the Great Miami r., 2 ms. n. Lawrenceburg. It has 2 stores, and
Harding's Store, p-o., Ripley co., Ia., 71 s. E. Indianapolis,
Hardin's Mills, p-o., Floyd co., Ga., 173 n. w. Milledgeville,
Hardin's Mills, p-o., Albemarle co., Va., 93 w. n. w. Richmond,
123 W. It contains a Methodist church.
Hardinsville, p-v., Shelby co., Ky., 9 w. Frankfort, 551 W.
Hard Money, p-o., Stewart co., Ga., 144 s. w. Milledgeville, 799
Hardwich, p-t., Caledonia co., Vt., 27 n. e. Montpelier, 543 W.
Chartered in 1781. Organized in 1795. The surface is rolling,
and the soil, fertile. Watered by Lamoille r. and its
tributaries, which afford good water power. It contains sulphur
springs. It has 5 stores, cap. $30,500; 1 fulling m., 3
tanneries, 1 pottery, 2 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$8,700. 12 sch. 433 scholars. Pop. 1,354.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!