Hardwick, MA to Harrison, ME
Hardwick, p-t., Worcester co., Mass., 68 w. Boston, 398 W.
Incorporated in 1738. Watered by Ware r., which runs on its s.
e. border, and which, with its branches, affords water power.
The v. at the centre contains 2 churches, 1 Congregational and 1
Unitarian. It has 2 stores, cap. $7,345; 2 tanneries, 1
distillery, 1 paper fee, 4 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$24,980. 12 sch. 560 scholars. Pop. 1,789.
Hardwick, t., Warren co., N. J., 15 n. e. Belvidere. The surface
is hilly. Drained by Paulins kill, Beaver brook, and Bear branch
of Pequest cr. The soil is fertile, being underlaid with slate
on the ridges, and limestone in the valleys. It has 3 stores,
cap. $14,200; 1 cotton fac. 216 sp., 2 tanneries, 6 grist m., 3
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $32,800. 16 sch. 760 scholars. . Pop.
Hardwick, v., and port of entry, Bryan co., Ga. Situated on the
w. side of the Ogeechee r.
Hardyston, t., Sussex co., N. J. The surface is mountainous,
lying principally on Hamburg or Wallkill mountains. Drained by
Wallkill r. It has 2 ponds, the outlets of which flow into the
r. There are 2 Presbyterian churches. An inexhaustible quantity
of zinc and iron ores are found in the mountains. It has 10
stores, cap. $31,050; 3 furnaces, 6 forges, 1 fulling m., 2
tanneries, 8 grist m., 13 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $65,075. 1
acad. 35 students, 15 sch. 403 scholars. Pop. 2,831.
Hardy, County, Va. Situated in the n. part of
the state, and contains 1,156 sq.ms. The surface is elevated,
broken, rocky, and sterile, but good soil is found on the
streams. Watered by branches of the South Branch of the Potomac,
and by some of the head streams of the North Branch. Capital,
Moorefield. There w T ere in 1840, neat cattle 10,042, sheep
15,205, swine 12,719; wheat 84,604 bush, produced, rye 18,186,
Ind. corn 410,942, buckwheat 3,734, oats 40,830, potatoes
31,865, sugar 51,938 pounds; 11 stores, cap. $69,000; 1 furnace,
2 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 5 tanneries, 8 flouring m., 15 grist
m., 16 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $74,535. 6 sch. 218 scholars.
Pop. whites 6,100, slaves 1,131, free col'd 3J1; total, 7,622.
Hardy, t., Holmes co., O. It contains the v. of Millersburg, the
capital of the co. It has 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$3,400. 1 sch. 28 scholars. Pop. 1,982.
Harewood, p-o., Susquehanna co., Pa., 184 n. e. Harrisburg, 294
Harewood, p-o., Baltimore co., Md.
Harford, County, Md. Situated in the n. e. part
of the state, and contains 430 sq. ms. Watered by Deer cr.,
which flows into the Susquehanna, Binum's run, Winter's run and
the Little Falls of Gunpowder. Some of these streams afford good
water power. The soil is various. The country on Deer cr. is
beautiful and healthy. Limestone, iron ore, and chromate of iron
abound, in some parts of the co. The rocky banks of a part of
Deer cr. form perpendicular walls of stone, 2 or 300 feet high,
and appear as if they had been rent asunder, and are a
curiosity. Capital, Belair. There were in 1840, neat cattle
12,562, sheep 15,662, swine 20,950; wheat 149,300 bush,
produced, rye 20,153, Ind. corn 321,416, buck wheat 8,757, oats
216,892, potatoes 79,880; 61 stores, cap. $88,280; 4 fulling m.,
7 woolen fac, 2 furnaces, 2 forges, 12 tanneries, 3
distilleries, 1 pottery, 7 flouring m., 33 grist m., 28 saw m.,
1 oil m., 1 paper fac, 3 printing offices, 1 daily newspaper.
Cap. in manufac. $106,918. 1 college, 5 acad. 163 students, 33
sch. 945 scholars. Pop. whites 12,041, slaves 2,642, free col'd
2,436; total, 17,120.
Harford, p-o., Virgil t., Cortland co., N. Y., 150 w. Albany,
Harford, p-t., Susquehanna co., Pa., 175 n. e. Harrisburg, 279
W. Drained by Martin's, Partner's, and Van Winkle's creeks,
branches of Tunkhannock cr., all of which afford water power.
The v. contains 2 churches. There are in the t., 2 stores, cap.
$11,000; 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $11,850. 1 acad. 150 students, 10 sch. 230 scholars.
Hargrove's Tavern, p-o., Nansemond co., Va.
Harlan, County, Ky. Situated in the s. e. part of the state, and
contains 480 sq. ms. Cumberland mountains form its s. E.
boundary, and Laurel ridge passes through its n. w. part: and
between them, near the latter, runs Cumberland r., by which and
its branches the co. is watered. The surface is elevated 1,000
feet above the level of the ocean, and is mountainous. Capital,
Mount Pleasant. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,626, sheep
2,861, swine 13,073; wheat 2,420 bushels produced, oats 20,367,
potatoes 7,060, tobacco 4,211 pounds, sugar 7,830; 4 stores,
cap. $9,200; 23 distilleries, 37 grist m., 1 saw m. Pop. white
2,928, slaves 79, free col'd 8; total, 3,015.
Harlan, C. H, p-o., Harlan co., Ky. (See Mount Pleasant.)
Harlansburg, p-v., Mercer co., Pa., 226 w. N. w. Harrisburg, 263
Harlem, p-o., New York County, N. Y. (See Haerlem.)
Harlem, p-o., Winnebago co., Ill., 211 n Springfield, 812 W.
Harlemsville, p-o., Claverack t., Columbia co., N. Y.
Harlesville, p-v., Marion dist., S. G, 129 e. by n. Columbia,
431 W. Situated on Little IV dee r.
Harlingen, p-v., Montgomery t., Somerset co., N. J., 18 n.
Trenton, 190 W. It contains a Dutch Reformed church, a store,
and 7 or 8 dwellings.
Harmar, p-v., Washington co., O., 164 E. s. E. Columbus, 301 W.
Situated in the w. part of Marietta, on the s. bank of Muskingum
r. It contains a stone steam mill 4 stories high, and about 40
handsome dwellings. It occupies the site of Fort Harmar, the
first fortification erected by the Americans in the state of
Ohio, and named from its first commander.
Harmonsburg, p-o., Sadsbury t., Crawford co., Pa., 243 n. w.
Harrisburg, 316 W. Situated on Conneaut cr., at the n. end of
Harmony, p-t., Somerset co., Me., 57 n. by E. Augusta, 652 W.
Incorporated in 1803. The soil is fertile and adapted to wheat.
Watered by head branches of Sebasticook r. It has 3 stores, cap.
$3,600; 1 fulling m., 4 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$4,800. 10 sch. 500 scholars. Pop. 1,096.
Harmony, v., Conequenessing t., Butler co., Pa., 14 s. w. by w.
Butler, 12 n. e. by e. Beaver. Situated on the s. bank of
Conequenessing cr. Founded in 1804, by the Society of Harmonites,
who afterwards sold out and removed to the Wabash, and
afterwards to Economy, Beaver co., on the Ohio r. It now
contains a town hall, 2 mills, 3 stores, and 40 or 50 dwellings.
Harmony, p-t., Chautauque co., N. Y., 339 w. by s. Albany, 326
W. The surface is rolling; soil, sandy and gravelly loam, with
some clay. Drained by Goose cr. and other streams, flowing N.
into Chautauque lake, and by Little Broken I Straw creek,
running s. into Pennsylvania. It has 7 stores, cap. $10,600; 2
fulling m., 3 tanneries, 3 grist m., 17 saw m. Capital in
manufac. $23,595. 17 sch. 700 scholars. Pop. 3,340.
Harmony, p-t., Warren co., N. J., 53 n. by w. Trenton, 205 W.
The v. contains a Presbyterian church and 12 or 15 dwellings. It
has 2 flouring m., 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufactures,
$30,360. 6 sch. 386 scholars. Pop. 1,602.
Harmony, t., Susquehanna co., Pa., is bounded | n. by the state
of New York. Oquago mountain lies in its n. w. part, the
remainder is hilly. Watered by Susquehanna r. and some
tributaries, the chief of which are Starucca and Conewanta
creeks. It has 1 store, cap. $3,500; 1 grist m., 10 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $15,810. 6 sch. l 120 scholars. Pop. 523.
Harmony, p-v., Halifax co., Va., 150 s. w. Richmond, 237 W.
Harmony, p-v., York dist., S. C, 102 n. Columbia, 459 W.
Harmony, t., Clark co., O. It contains several villages, and the
national road passes through it. It has 11 sch. 220 scholars.
Harmony, t., Delaware co., O. Situated in the N. E. corner of
the county. Drained by the head waters of Alum and Big Walnut
creeks. It has 6 sch. 129 scholars. Pop. 676.
Harmony, p-o., Clay co., Ia., 54 w. by s. Indianapolis, 625 W.
Harmony, p-v., Weakley co., Tenn., 132 w. Nashville, 822 W.
Harmony, p-v., Washington co., Mo., 102 s. e. Jefferson City,
896 W. Situated in the centre of the co., and contains lead
mines on Hazle cr. It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 2 stores, and 20
Harmony, t., Washington co., Mo. Pop. 789.
Harmony Grove, p-o., Jackson co., Ga., 83 n. Milledgeville, 623
Harmony Landing, p-o., Oldham co., Ky., 51 y. w. Frankfort, 593
Harmony Vale, p-v., Hardiston t., Sussex co., N. J., 83 n.
Trenton, 252 W. It contains a Presbyterian church, and 12 or 15
Harnageville, p-v., Cherokee co., Ga., 139 1 N. w.
Milledgeville, 670 W.
Harper's Ferry, p-v., Jefferson co., Va., 173 N. Richmond, 57 W.
Situated at the junction of the Shenandoah r. with the Potomac
r., at the passage of the united stream through the Blue Ridge,
so finely described by Mr. Jefferson. There is probably not a
more picturesque spot in the United States. The v. contains 3
churches, 1 Methodist, 1 Free church, 1 Roman Catholic, 2
Masonic halls, 1 academy, 12 stores, 1 of the largest flouring
mills in the Union, 1 iron furnace, 810 dwellings, and a
national armory, where 8,850 small-arms are annually
manufactured, employing 240 hands. In the armory, 80 or 90,000
stand of arms are usually kept, and as they are sent away,
replaced by others from the factories. The Chesapeake and Ohio
canal passes along the n. bank of the Potomac. The Baltimore and
Ohio railroad passes through this place. The Potomac is here
crossed by abridge, #50 feet long between the abutments,
connecting the v. with the Maryland side. Few places are more
deserving the attention of the curious traveler than this.
Harper's Ferry, p-o., Abbeville dist.. S. C, 119 w. Columbia,
Harpersfield, p-t., Delaware co., N. Y^ 64 w. by s. Albany, 360
W. The surface is hilly and broken; soil, a fertile, chocolate
colored loam, well cultivated. Drained by Charlotte and Delaware
rivers. The v. contains 2 churches 1 Presbyterian and 1 Baptist,
1 stores, 40 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants. There are in
the t., 3 stores, cap. $5,700; 3 fulling m., 1 tannery, 6 grist
m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufactures, $5,175. 20 sch. 499 scholars.
Harpersfield, p-t., Ashtabula co., O., 195 n. e. Columbus, 350
W. Early and generally settled. Watered by Grand r. In the n. w.
corner is the v. of Unionville, lying partly in 3 counties.
There are in the t., 3 stores, cap. $1,200; 2 fulling m., 2
woolen fac, 1 distillery, 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$12,650. Pop. 1,397.
Harpersville, p-v., Colesville t., Broome co., N. Y., 116 w. s.
w. Albany, 310 W. Situated a little distance from the
Susquehanna r., and contains 1 Episcopal church, 1 store, 1 saw
m., 35 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.
Harpersville, p-v., Shelby co., Ala., 91 e. Tuscaloosa, 763 W.
Harpeth, r., Tenn., rises in Williamson co., and after a course
of about 60 ms., falls into Cumberland r., 19 ms. n. w.
Nashville. It is navigable for boats to Franklin.
Harpeth, p-o., Williamson co., Tenn., 27 s. Nashville, 690 W.
Harpswell, t., Cumberland co., Me., 22 n. e. Portland, 4 s. E.
Brunswick. It comprises a promontory in the N. E. part of Casco
Bay, and several islands. The soil is fertile, and it presents a
delightful summer residence. The fisheries employ a portion of
the inhabitants. It has 5 stores, cap. $2,000; 2 lumber yards,
cap. $6,000; 16 sch. 549 scholars. Pop. 1,448.
Harqui, p-o., Coosa co., Ala.
Harels Store, p-o., New Hanover co., N. C, 116 s. s. e. Raleigh,
Harriettstown, t., Franklin co., N. Y., 35 s. Malone, 190 n. by
w. Albany. It is mostly a wilderness. The surface in the s. e.
part is mountainous. It contains Lower Saranac lake, and other
small lakes and ponds, forming the sources of Racket and Saranac
Harrietsville, p-o., Monroe co., O., 121 e. Columbus, 295 W.
Harrington, p-t., Washington co., Me., 127 e. Augusta, 710 W. It
has the Atlantic s., Pleasant bay on the E., and Narraguagus bay
on the w. Narraguagus r., which runs on its w. border, affords
water power. It contains 3 stores, 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 5 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $45,136. 19 sch. 635 scholars. Population,
Harrington, t, Bergen co., N. J. Bounded E. by Hudson r., along
which runs the Closter mountains, 400 feet high, forming the
Palisades. Otherwise, the surface is level; soil, a fertile
loam, well cultivated. Watered by Hackensack r. and its
branches. It has 3 stores, cap. $3,000; 1 tannery, 1 distillery,
4 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,200. 6 sch. 154
scholars. Pop. 1,130.
Harrington, p-v., Cumberland co., N. C, 59 s. by w. Raleigh, 347
Harris, County, Ga. Situated on the w. border
of the state, and contains 440 sq. ms. Pine mountain runs across
the n. part of the co. Drained by Long, Flat Shoal, Pine,
Mulberry, and other creeks, tributaries of Chattahoochee r.,
which runs on its w. border. Capital, Hamilton. There were in
1840, neat cattle 4,311, sheep 1,135, swine 7,935; wheat 12,585
bush, produced, Ind. corn 132,275, oats 3,190, potatoes 1,855,
cotton 719,300 pounds, 12 stores, cap. $23,800; 3 tanneries, 1
distillery, 3 flouring m., 6 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$20,400. 1 acad. 70 students, 18 sch. 585 scholars. Pop. whites
7,482, slaves 6,418, free col'd 33; total, 13,933.
Harris, p-t., Centre co., Pa. It has 5 stores, cap. §19,500; 1
furnace, 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 3 tanneries, 1 pottery, 6
grist m., 6 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $16,300. 1 acad.
23 students, 5 sch. 210 scholars. Pop. 1,978.
Harris, t., Sandusky co., O., 14 n. Lower Sandusky, at the
rapids of Portage r., where there are fine mill sites.
Harris, p-o., Louisa co., Va., 53 n. w. Richmond, 97 W.
Harrisburg, p-t., Lewis co., N. Y., 145 n. w. Albany, 427 W. The
surface is mostly level, and the soil is a fertile brown loam.
Drained by Deer cr. and another stream, branches of Black r.,
which afford good water power. It has 2 saw m., 12 sch. 285
scholars. Pop. 850.
Harrisburg, City, capital of Dauphin co., and of the state of
Pennsylvania, is situated on the e. bank of the Susquehanna, 98
n. w. by w. of Philadelphia, 184 e. Pittsburg, 110 W., in 40°
16' N. lat., and 76° 50' w. long. Pop. 1820, 3,000; 1830, 4,307;
1840, 5,980. Its situation is commanding, having a fine view of
the river and surrounding country. The houses are well built,
and generally of brick. It has a splendid State House, on
elevated ground, from which there is a gradual descent to the
river. The building is 180 feet long by 80 feet deep, and 2
stories high, with a cupola. The exterior of the building, the
interior arrangements, and the ornamented grounds by which it is
surrounded, are in a high degree imposing. The county court
house is a large and commodious brick building, containing halls
for the courts and public offices, and is surmounted by a
cupola. The county prison is a large stone edifice, with a
spacious yard, and surrounded by a high stone wall. The
Lancasterian School House is a large 2 story brick building,
erected at the expense of the state. There are 2 banks, and 9
churches, some of them elegant structures, 1 Lutheran, 1
Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 German Reformed, 2 Methodist, 1
Baptist, 1 Roman Catholic, and 1 African. The Masonic Hall is an
elegant edifice, and a fine market house is located at the
centre of the place, at the intersection of two principal
streets. The bridge over the Susquehanna is a fine covered
structure, extending to an island in the river, and thence to
the opposite bank, 2,876 feet long, 40 feet wide, 50 feet above
the surface of the river, and cost $155,000; there is another
recently built. There were in 1840, 3 commission houses engaged
in for. trade, cap. $23,500; 76 retail stores, cap. $319,860; 5
lumber yards, cap. $25,000; 1 forge, 2 tanneries, 3 breweries, 2
potteries, 1 saw m., 12 printing offices, 6 binderies, 11 weekly
newspapers, 1 periodical. Cap. in manufac. $195,450. 3 acad. 115
students, 12 sch. 588 scholars.
Harrisburg, p-v., Pleasant t., Franklin co., O., 23 s. w.
Columbus, 416 W. Situated on Darby cr. Pop. 81.
Harrisville, t., Medina co., O. It has 3 stores, cap. $27,000; 1
fulling m., 1 tannery, 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,250; 6 sch.
246 scholars. Pop. 1,255.
Harrisburg, p-v., Mecklenburg co., N. C, 251 w. s. w. Raleigh,
Harrisburg, p-v., Fayette co., Ia., 56 e. Indianapolis, 523 W.
Harrisburg, p-v., Van Buren co., Iowa.
Harrison, County, Va. Situated in the n. w.
part of the state, and contains 1,095 sq.ms. Watered by the w.
fork of Monongahela r. and its branches which flow N., and by
head waters of Middle Island cr. which flow w. The surface is
broken; soil, fertile. Within this county is Rector College,
under the direction of the Methodists, founded m 1839, and
contains a president and 50 students, independent of the
preparatory department. Capital, Clarksburg. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 23,536, sheep 35,119, swine 32,397; wheat 135,774
bush produced, rye 8,608, Ind. corn 420,900, buckwheat 6,397,
oats 225,645, potatoes 62,285, tobacco 22,800 pounds, sugar
200,372; 30 stores, cap. $98,700; 1 fulling m., 9 tanneries, 38
distilleries, 2 potteries, 50 grist m., 58 saw m., 1 oil m., 2
printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
$130,820. 1 college, 110 students, 18 sch. 436 scholars. Pop.
whites 16,850, slaves 693, free col'd 126; total 17,699.
Harrison, County, Ky. Situated toward the N. E.
part of the state, and contains 356 sq. ms. Drained by the s.
fork of Licking r. and its tributaries. Licking r. runs through
its n. e. part. The soil is generally fertile. Capital,
Cynthiana. There were in 1840, neat cattle 27,433, sheep 55,408,
swine 86,619; wheat 350,979 bush, produced, rye 111,225, oats
240,266, tobacco 31,521 pounds, cotton 2,471, sugar 307,636; 42
stores, cap. $193,350; 3 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac. 624 sp., 8
tanneries, 39 distilleries, 12 flouring m., 52 grist m., 34 saw
m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac.
$215,953. 27 sch. 617 scholars. Pop. whites 8,995, slaves 3,384,
free col'd 93; total, 12,472.
Harrison, County, O. Situated in the e. part of
the state, and contains 486 sq. ms. The surface is hilly and
broken, and the soil very fertile. Drained on the w. by
Stillwater cr. and Conotten cr. and their branches, which flow
into Tuscarawas r., and on the e by the head branches of Indian
and Indian Short creeks, which flow into the Ohio. Capital,
Cadiz. There were in 1840, neat cattle 16,290, sheep 48,355,
swine 30,778; wheat 361,069 bush, produced, rye 14,302,
buckwheat 15,330, barley 322, oats 358,932, potatoes 70,111,
cotton 330,827 pounds, sugar 18,736; 43 stores, cap. $60,560; 10
fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 19 tanneries, 13 distilleries, 3
potteries, 3 flouring m., 37 grist m., 119 saw m., 2 printing
offices, 3 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $129, 135. 1
college, 20 students, 2 acad. 45 students, 91 sch. 3,578
scholars. Pop. 20,099.
Harrison, County, Ia. Situated in the s. part
of the state, and contains 470 sq. ms. The Ohio r. runs by a
curve in its s. E., s., and s. w. border. Drained by Blue r.,
and Big and Little Indian, and Buck creeks, tributaries of the
Ohio r. Surface undulating or hilly; soil, on the streams, very
fertile, otherwise moderately good. Capital, Cory don. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 9,038, sheep 14,653, swine 19,332;
wheat 66,203 bush, produced, Ind. corn 164,949, oats 73,878,
potatoes 18,547; 8 tanneries, 22 distilleries, 1 powder m., 7
flouring m., 20 grist m., 15 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly
newspaper., 1 acad. 90 students, 6 sch. 162 scholars. Pop.
Harrison, County, Miss. Situated in the s. part
of the state, and contains 870 sq. ms. Surface level. Soil,
light and sandy. Drained by Biloxi r. and branches, Wolf and Red
rivers, Capital, Mississippi city.
Harrison, p-t., Cumberland co., Me., 62 w. s. w. Augusta, 580 W.
Long Pond lies on its s. w. border and is connected with
Portland by p. canal, and otherwise. Crooked r. runs on its E.
border. The soil is fertile, adapted to wheat. Incorporated in
1805. It has 1 store, cap. $3,000; I fulling m., 1 tannery, 2
grist m., 2 saw m., 14 sch. 481 scholars. Pop. 1,243.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!